Official 2012 Sharp LC-XXLE640U/XXC6400U - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1369 Old 09-15-2012, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I use optical out to connect to the Sony soundbar and don't have any lip sync issues. You said that TV speaker audio is fine but audio through the receiver is being delayed, are you sure issue is not in the receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1369 Old 09-15-2012, 11:34 PM

Liked: 10
I'm pretty sure the delay is caused by the video processing of the TV. When I hooked up my old Samsung, there was almost no delay at all. I tried to game mode and the delay was also minimal but the picture was awful, picture was less sharp and colors were washed out. On the standard mode, the sound of the receiver is before the lips movements on the TV.

I did not tried the optical output but I was under the impression that it can only output a stereo signal coming from an external hdmi source. I guess if I want to keep the TV I will have to buy a new receiver that has the auto sync feature over HDMI and possible value over 80ms.

thanks again for your help!
post #273 of 1369 Old 09-16-2012, 04:14 AM

Game mode is only different from other modes that it has all extra video processing disabled. If properly calibrated it should be no different from other modes in terms of picture quality, color, contrast, etc...You just need to get over "Game" mode name. You can use it without any sacrifice in picture quality as long as it works out for you. As I mentioned earlier I use optical out to connect to the Sony HT-CT 350 sound bar and don't have any issues, I use standard mode.
post #274 of 1369 Old 09-16-2012, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
just ordered a DarbeeVision Darblet HDMI Video Processor - DVP 5000, anyone here have one that could share experience?
post #275 of 1369 Old 09-16-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon7 View Post

Game mode is only different from other modes that it has all extra video processing disabled. If properly calibrated it should be no different from other modes in terms of picture quality, color, contrast, etc...You just need to get over "Game" mode name. You can use it without any sacrifice in picture quality as long as it works out for you. As I mentioned earlier I use optical out to connect to the Sony HT-CT 350 sound bar and don't have any issues, I use standard mode.

Actually Game is not likely to be as accurate as Movie mode when properly calibrated (especially the Gamma... unless the service menu is used). wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

just ordered a DarbeeVision Darblet HDMI Video Processor - DVP 5000, anyone here have one that could share experience?

I have the Darblet and used it on my 60LE632 with great results, I was actually pretty shocked by the difference as it was not expected (I bought it for my 133" front projection set-up).

Jason
post #276 of 1369 Old 09-16-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSumNiaK View Post

I'm pretty sure the delay is caused by the video processing of the TV. When I hooked up my old Samsung, there was almost no delay at all. I tried to game mode and the delay was also minimal but the picture was awful, picture was less sharp and colors were washed out. On the standard mode, the sound of the receiver is before the lips movements on the TV.
I did not tried the optical output but I was under the impression that it can only output a stereo signal coming from an external hdmi source. I guess if I want to keep the TV I will have to buy a new receiver that has the auto sync feature over HDMI and possible value over 80ms.
thanks again for your help!

The video delay is caused by the video post-processing by the television, I can confirm that ... and yes, it is a major bummer that this TV isn't capable of passing audio bitstream out of its optical port when the feed is HDMI. I can tell you that I'm only using about a 45ms delay on my audio receiver, which seems to work okay across all modes. That said, I have to wonder if the audio delay of 80ms reported by your receiver is more of a relative measure rather than actual. I actually ended up purchasing a new (arc compatible) receiver, it was less than $300 and does everything I need, including the manual adjustment on the audio delay, it's all HDMI now, no more optical.
post #277 of 1369 Old 09-16-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post

The audio delay is caused by the video post-processing by the television, I can confirm that ... and yes, it is a major bummer that this TV isn't capable of passing audio bitstream out of its optical port when the feed is HDMI. I can tell you that I'm only using about a 45ms delay on my audio receiver, which seems to work okay across all modes. That said, I have to wonder if the audio delay of 80ms reported by your receiver is more of a relative measure rather than actual. I actually ended up purchasing a new (arc compatible) receiver, it was less than $300 and does everything I need, including the manual adjustment on the audio delay, it's all HDMI now, no more optical.

I'm now considering the option to buy a new receiver to be all HDMI. It's a pain in the ass to calibrate the delay across multiple sources and I hope that the auto sync feature of newer receiver will work well.

Also, I've disabled all motion enhancements options of the TV (120Hz, Film mode and also the automatic contrast thing) and I'm still under the impression that sometimes some motion feature kicks in for a few seconds. It looks like the motion speed up than comes back to normal. It seems to happen more on fast camera pan. My girlfriend also sees it in her shows and told me that it doesn't do that on our others TV. Is there something wrong with the TV or are we just not used to a big screen ?
post #278 of 1369 Old 09-16-2012, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Actually Game is not likely to be as accurate as Movie mode when properly calibrated (especially the Gamma... unless the service menu is used). wink.gif
I have the Darblet and used it on my 60LE632 with great results, I was actually pretty shocked by the difference as it was not expected (I bought it for my 133" front projection set-up).
Jason

so is using the Darblet the same as using the active contrast, but without negatives that come with active contrast?
post #279 of 1369 Old 09-16-2012, 11:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

so is using the Darblet the same as using the active contrast, but without negatives that come with active contrast?

No, not the same, active contrast basically creates an S-shaped gamma curve. You truly have to see it for yourself, it's a very interesting device that can yield fantastic results with just about any display type.

Jason
post #280 of 1369 Old 09-18-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSumNiaK View Post

I'm now considering the option to buy a new receiver to be all HDMI. It's a pain in the ass to calibrate the delay across multiple sources and I hope that the auto sync feature of newer receiver will work well.
Also, I've disabled all motion enhancements options of the TV (120Hz, Film mode and also the automatic contrast thing) and I'm still under the impression that sometimes some motion feature kicks in for a few seconds. It looks like the motion speed up than comes back to normal. It seems to happen more on fast camera pan. My girlfriend also sees it in her shows and told me that it doesn't do that on our others TV. Is there something wrong with the TV or are we just not used to a big screen ?

Honestly, I have not experienced anything negative about the visual quality of this television. There is no flashlighting, no strange corner/edge bright spots, etc. Movies have been perfect, TV is beautiful, sports looks amazing, especially the fast moving full-screen-high-speed pans during an NFL game. I have had the occasional stutter with some of my video file media, but I was able to simply change the viewing mode until I found one where the stutter was completely eliminated. I do, however, believe that the TV may react differently to various video sources, which might explain why some folks have a hard time being happy with the performance of the TV (or maybe some of us are just more sensitive/anal than others about some of the performance).

I do not have any experience with receivers that auto sync the audio/video, and I'm not even sure how they would be capable of doing this without human intervention.
post #281 of 1369 Old 09-19-2012, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Even with HDMI, my Dish Network box occasionally gets audio out of synch with the video. Switching to another channel and back fixes it.
BluRay and DVD signals through HDMI have not had this problem yet...
post #282 of 1369 Old 09-20-2012, 05:35 PM

I had the same problem and fixed it, but I dont remember how!rolleyes.gif I think it had something to do with the audio settings in the VIP720.
post #283 of 1369 Old 09-22-2012, 11:52 PM

I'm inches away from buying the 70" 6400U from costco, but I just can't get over that last year's 632 had Full Array LED. With all the problems mentioned here, it seems like the 632 is such a better TV than this year's edge lit model. Is it worth searching online for a new 632? Costco doesn't have them anymore.
post #284 of 1369 Old 09-23-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relleum View Post

I'm inches away from buying the 70" 6400U from costco, but I just can't get over that last year's 632 had Full Array LED. With all the problems mentioned here, it seems like the 632 is such a better TV than this year's edge lit model. Is it worth searching online for a new 632? Costco doesn't have them anymore.

Ok, I bit the bullet and purchased the 6400U from costco. This thing is BAD ASS. No regrets (and no dead pixels either)! First thing I did was slap it into game mode and turned movie mode off. This thing looks great, and is soooo big. Seriously, f*#% anything below 70 inches.
post #285 of 1369 Old 09-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, I bit the bullet and purchased the 6400U from costco. This thing is BAD ASS. No regrets (and no dead pixels either)! First thing I did was slap it into game mode and turned movie mode off. This thing looks great, and is soooo big. Seriously, f*#% anything below 70 inches.

The only thing I hate about this TV is that it makes the 55" in my master bedroom look tiny LOL
post #286 of 1369 Old 09-27-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodtmf View Post

Oh hi,
Sadly though, I seem to have stuck pixels. I posted some pictures, I assume the blob is stuck pixels, and I'll have to return it. This TV didn't exhibit any light bleed thru when the picture is all black, so I hope the replacement will be the same.
In the picture with the stars, the blob is to the lower right of the star in the center of the picture.
https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1678...0Blob?h=8c49c8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodtmf View Post

Hi All,
Well, I took the TV back to Costco as Sharp service never got back to me about my "blob" (See post 70) and bought another one. Oddly it was already 200 cheaper! But here's the thing...same blob, same place! I checked that it was not any of my sources. I can see it with PS3 and DirecTV, both have been connected to different inputs and through my preferred method through the AVR. I just checked the built-in YouTube app and found some test patterns, blob is there.
This leads me to believe it could be a manufacturing issue. Not sure what I'm going to do. The blob is only noticeable in certain conditions. I seem to notice it most when watching boring material....
I will search to see if anyone else has seen this.
Edit: adding some key words that help with search: dead pixels stuck costco 70C6400 blob

OK, so I just got a brand new 70LE640U,
Picture looks great but....

"Blob" is in EXACTLY same place as nodtmf TV!!! eek.gif WTH?? Really shows on all white background or light backgrounds
So I'm thinking it's a design flaw. Maybe stress from a screw on a panel or something???
Anyone else have this on their set?

I'm thinking if I return this set like nodtmf above, I will have a blob in the same place. None on display in any local dealers either : (
It won't rub out like a dead pixel and honestly doesn't look like dead pixels.

The set is perfect except for this. No clouding, best I've seen from edge lit LED to date and picture looks great except for the blob!!
Arrgggh!! so frustrating.......

mad.gif
post #287 of 1369 Old 09-27-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Same here. My only source is a 1080p Mac Mini running Plex and EyeTV (HDHomeRun). Looks great! Still thinking about a Darblet though, just because...

BTW, I bought mine back in July for $2479, and as we all know, the price dropped to $1999. So I gave costco.com a call and with no hassle, they offered to credit me back the difference. Service like that, combined with the double warranty will have me shopping at Costco for the foreseeable future.

Chance
post #288 of 1369 Old 09-28-2012, 10:31 AM

Two weeks ago, I bought the LC-52LE640U. Had serious judder issues, but only on some channels. Figured out it was my Comcast feed/STB, so I got a new box. Still had some minor judder issues, so I took it back and bought a 50" ST50 Panny plasma.

Thing ran hot (as they do) and pulls more power than Panny says it does...So back it went yesterday. Re-purchased the LC-52640U and could not be happier. Smooooooth as sh** with movement. Should mention though that both LC-52's have/had some [all black] picture blobbing and edge-bleed in some dark scenes; I guess probably a necessary-evil side effect of the edge-lit LED aspect, but once the screen lights up the reward is full face frontal.

In anycase it's a great set, I finally might be able to bring myself to throw away the box soon..
post #289 of 1369 Old 09-28-2012, 02:55 PM

I personally think the source of the media (cable/SAT/whatever) is the problem most people are having. If you have no problem with a BD source but your STB feed looks bad it’s a good guess that the STB feed is the problem. Having said that I do think that the video processing on this TV (LC-60LE640U in my case) is not as good as the Sammy LN46B640 it replaced. But I expect that two TVs with the same pixel density (1080p) but every differing size screen’s (60” vrs 46”) would show a more pixilated picture on the larger screen.
post #290 of 1369 Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 PM

Hello, I recently purchased the LC-52LE640U.

Where can I find some settings suggestions to get the best picture from my set/
post #291 of 1369 Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 AM

Hello All,

I recently just bought this TV, and I have to say, I like it for what I paid ($1,000CDN + HST 13%), but have some major issues with this TVs features I should highlight. I've filed an official complaint with Sharp Canada.

Hello Sharp Support Canada,

I've recently purchased your LC52LE640U model 52" LED Sharp Aquos TV, which I'm very happy with for the most part, except for 2x things which I can't help but feel cheated over. I've updated the TV to 219U1207181 firmware as a worthy mentionable. My issues are as follows:

1) The user manual explcitly states that there is a full functioning web browser within the TV, and I can see the Netfront 2.3v browser is installed, but I cannot browse to any web-page except for Sharp Canada's web-site. Changing the DNS servers to ones I know for a fact work are worthless, and I'm constantly prompted with an error message that the SSL handshake could not be negotiated properly. I am perplexed why Sharp would should not to include arguably one of the most highly demanded features within a TV. What's the point of having wifi with no working web browser? The wifi adapter is completely useless now..................I regret buying this tv now. Do you have any plans to open this up to users in the near future for this model? If not, why?? Very annoyed with this feature being disabled........

2) Your TV locks up constantly when I use USB drives to run videos over the TV's USB port, and mainly happens with divx based videos. The video play used for divx videos is very sluggish and clunky, and I'm running the latest firmware on the TV (219U1207181 to be specific). Very disappointed with this feature as well.

3) Your youtube app is so mind numbingly frustrating to use. I cannot enjoy even the most simple of web enabled features on this TV that you allow. I login to my youtube account, and browsing my favourites doesn't even allow me to pick what favourite video to play, it plays all of them in sequence. I finally figured out how to skip videos by pressing the right d pad, but the app is so slow and clunky, its virtually useless. Very disappointed with this feature as well.

Please advise me on your direction with my complaints.

Regards,

s0berage
post #292 of 1369 Old 10-12-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0berage View Post

Hello All,
I recently just bought this TV, and I have to say, I like it for what I paid ($1,000CDN + HST 13%), but have some major issues with this TVs features I should highlight. I've filed an official complaint with Sharp Canada.
I've recently purchased your LC52LE640U model 52" LED Sharp Aquos TV, which I'm very happy with for the most part, except for 2x things which I can't help but feel cheated over. I've updated the TV to 219U1207181 firmware as a worthy mentionable. My issues are as follows:
1) The user manual explcitly states that there is a full functioning web browser within the TV, and I can see the Netfront 2.3v browser is installed, but I cannot browse to any web-page except for Sharp Canada's web-site. Changing the DNS servers to ones I know for a fact work are worthless, and I'm constantly prompted with an error message that the SSL handshake could not be negotiated properly. I am perplexed why Sharp would should not to include arguably one of the most highly demanded features within a TV. What's the point of having wifi with no working web browser? The wifi adapter is completely useless now..................I regret buying this tv now. Do you have any plans to open this up to users in the near future for this model? If not, why?? Very annoyed with this feature being disabled........
2) Your TV locks up constantly when I use USB drives to run videos over the TV's USB port, and mainly happens with divx based videos. The video play used for divx videos is very sluggish and clunky, and I'm running the latest firmware on the TV (219U1207181 to be specific). Very disappointed with this feature as well.
3) Your youtube app is so mind numbingly frustrating to use. I cannot enjoy even the most simple of web enabled features on this TV that you allow. I login to my youtube account, and browsing my favourites doesn't even allow me to pick what favourite video to play, it plays all of them in sequence. I finally figured out how to skip videos by pressing the right d pad, but the app is so slow and clunky, its virtually useless. Very disappointed with this feature as well.
Regards,
s0berage

Some other issues I've noticed, is that this TV very often messes up audio playpack when playing divx movies. Playing movies in a dark room can make viewing this TV a little annoying, and forces me to crank the brightness. My TV is in a living room, with a 8' window facing east, letting in lots of sunlight. The glare on this TV is minimal, which is a saving grace,. FYI.
post #293 of 1369 Old 10-12-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Hello All,
Regards,
s0berage

Quote:

Some other issues I've noticed, is that this TV very often messes up audio playpack when playing divx movies. Playing movies in a dark room can make viewing this TV a little annoying, and forces me to crank the brightness. My TV is in a living room, with a 8' window facing east, letting in lots of sunlight. The glare on this TV is minimal, which is a saving grace,. FYI.

I played few DIVX movies on my TV directly and didn't see any issues. There is so many variables in DIVX encoding that you shouldn't be surprised that TV might has some minor problems playing these movies Just buy a WD Live streaming player it's great for DIVX, youtube, netflix, etc..., you can find one for cheap. Use TV as a TV, it's pretty good at it.
Itsdon likes this.
post #294 of 1369 Old 10-17-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreekie View Post

Hello, I recently purchased the LC-52LE640U.
Where can I find some settings suggestions to get the best picture from my set/

The only settings I've seen published anywhere,specically for this family of sets was on Cnet. They were specifally for Movie mode, which I can't relate to because I never use Movie mode any set.I tried them anyway and they made a difference, but it sill looks llke something I'd never get into.

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #295 of 1369 Old 10-18-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4macdad View Post

What I have learned since owning this model and purchasing the Disney WOW Disc.
Active contrast=local dimming and should be activated AFTER calibrating brightness, contrast and color. If you keep it off, the picture is too muddy. (But you do notice when the dimming occurs between scenes.)
24 fps is too soft, so I use film mode/advanced at lowest setting to sharpen motion.
biggrin.gif

I bought the Disney WOW (Blu-ray) disk after reading your post and went through the "Advanced" calibration with it. To be honest, I find that I preferred the image quality of what I came up using my own judgement to what I had after the WOW calibration. The WOW calibrated image yielded the most accurate and consistent flesh tones I've seen with my 60le640U, but there was a lack of contrast that made a lot of stuff look washed out. Here's the settings I attained using the WOW disk as "User" settings.

Backlight : +6
Brightness: +2
Contrast: +28
Color: +1
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -1

My other "basic" settings by choice are:

Motion Enhancement: OFF
Active Contrast: On
Film Mode: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: [any]

What I find yields the best image are these settings:

Backlight : +5
Brightness: -14
Contrast: +34
Color: +1
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -1

The remaining settings are the same as listed above. I live with the local dimming (active contrast) because it does yield more desirable results, overall, the transitions are noticeable but not deal breakers for me... YMMV

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #296 of 1369 Old 10-18-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just a heads up...

Active Contrast actually changes much of the calibration if done with it disabled and then re-enabled after the adjustments have been made.

My findings on the 632 series was that a truly 'accurate' calibration could not obtained with Active Contrast enabled.

Jason
post #297 of 1369 Old 10-18-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Just a heads up...
Active Contrast actually changes much of the calibration if done with it disabled and then re-enabled after the adjustments have been made.
My findings on the 632 series was that a truly 'accurate' calibration could not obtained with Active Contrast enabled.
Jason

Thanks for that input Jason! I can't honestly recall whether I had active contrast on or off when I was doing the calibration. I definitely have it on now, but I'm uncertain as to what point I turned it on. I'll turn it off and try another calibration when I get time... probably won't be until Sunday night. I'll report my results once I do.

post #298 of 1369 Old 10-21-2012, 04:54 PM

Hey guys. I just bought the 70" 640u and was wondering if someone could post a link to Jason's game settings. The judder is driving me up the wall. What are the best settings to get rid of this?
post #299 of 1369 Old 10-22-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotilac1 View Post

Hey guys. I just bought the 70" 640u and was wondering if someone could post a link to Jason's game settings.
Quote:

Here's the third of his 632 Game settings. He doesn't have a 640 and I think he would tell you that they are not going to work optimally with the 640, based on other 640 cals he's been able to cross reference:

(note that these are Sharp 632 series TVs)

4/23/2012 - New Game mode settings (40 ftL target)

OPC = OFF
BACKLIGHT = STD
CONTRAST = +28
BRIGHTNESS = +1
COLOR = -4
TINT = 0
SHARPNESS = 0 (+1 is ok but higher = much more ringing/ee)

Active Contrast = OFF
Gamma = -2 ( = flat 1.9 without active contrast )

Color Temp = LOW
LO
R -19
G +5
B -13

HI
R -7
G +1
B -14

HUE SAT VAL
R +11 0 +6
Y +8 0 +2
G -8 0 +10
C +7 0 0
B +13 0 +30
M +2 0 -9

Quote:
The judder is driving me up the wall. What are the best settings to get rid of this?

Welcome to the club... football games really expose this series in the motion judder department. It helps (but doesn't fully remedy it) to turn motion enhancement, but then you're going to see two footballs going across the screen on long passes, punts, and kickoffs due to the ghosting. Neither option is desirable to me.

post #300 of 1369 Old 10-24-2012, 01:09 PM

Does anyone know if this unit has an MHL port? I'm assuming not, but I REALLY would love to use the new Roku stick. I'm so tired of how worthless Netflix is that I want to put a sledgehammer through this TV every day.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le640u 60 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page