Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1369 Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post

We're now looking at the 70 inch version of this, but can't tell by previous comments if the motion blur while watching sports is still a problem. Has this been corrected by firmware updates, or was this due to not properly calibrating the sets? Any info on this would be appreciated...it could be a deal breaker.

Perhaps I'm blind, but I see no motion blur issues on our Costco 70". This with daGamePimp's 50ftl game mode calibration, and a Mac mini (ota hdhomerun and eyetv) via hdmi as the source. Live football (at least to us) looks fantastic.

Chance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1369 Old 11-17-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Thanks for the replies. OnlookerDelay, have you been seeing the blur when using game mode? Seems like the peoiple that have actually stated that they don't see a problem are using game mode including ChanceG.

WDTV Live SMP with 5TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #363 of 1369 Old 11-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceG View Post

Perhaps I'm blind, but I see no motion blur issues on our Costco 70". This with daGamePimp's 50ftl game mode calibration, and a Mac mini (ota hdhomerun and eyetv) via hdmi as the source. Live football (at least to us) looks fantastic.

Same here. On both the 60" 640u & 70" 640u i see no problems while viewing sports. Although i dont run any motion enhancement and simply use the STD. av mode settings i posted several replys back. Using the ATT Uverse DVR i have rewinded a long football passing play several times and enabled motion enhancement just to test it out and it can cause some problems at the high & low settings, so i just leave it off. Im beginning to think trailing effects during sporting events can vary with the signal feed from the production crew & your broadcast provider. Thursday night on ESPN during the live telecast of the NC vs. Virginia game the PQ was outstanding with the HD cameras the TV crews were using. Wish the NFL would learn some lessons from these College live broadcast producers. I probably get the best HD NFL live game telecast from Fox on Sundays but the ESPN college games IMO are the best. OTA satellite would no doubt give me the nicest feed but the wife will no longer allow me to use it due to signal loss during inclement weather conditions. I realize real bad weather dont occur very often but just once is enough for my wife when watching one of her prime TV shows ! eek.gif

Im fairly picky about motion judder & other odd visual effects so if either of these sets i just purchased were as bad as some folks mention i would have already returned them. I can honestly say i am really surprised how well these units perform even stacked up against my full array LED with local dimming Samsung LN55A950.

Regards, wink.gif
post #364 of 1369 Old 11-17-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox1 View Post

Same here. On both the 60" 640u & 70" 640u i see no problems while viewing sports. Although i dont run any motion enhancement and simply use the STD. av mode settings i posted several replys back. Using the ATT Uverse DVR i have rewinded a long football passing play several times and enabled motion enhancement just to test it out and it can cause some problems at the high & low settings, so i just leave it off. Im beginning to think trailing effects during sporting events can vary with the signal feed from the production crew & your broadcast provider. Thursday night on ESPN during the live telecast of the NC vs. Virginia game the PQ was outstanding with the HD cameras the TV crews were using. Wish the NFL would learn some lessons from these College live broadcast producers. I probably get the best HD NFL live game telecast from Fox on Sundays but the ESPN college games IMO are the best. OTA satellite would no doubt give me the nicest feed but the wife will no longer allow me to use it due to signal loss during inclement weather conditions. I realize real bad weather dont occur very often but just once is enough for my wife when watching one of her prime TV shows ! eek.gif
Im fairly picky about motion judder & other odd visual effects so if either of these sets i just purchased were as bad as some folks mention i would have already returned them. I can honestly say i am really surprised how well these units perform even stacked up against my full array LED with local dimming Samsung LN55A950.
Regards, wink.gif

Thank you...that helps a lot! I think I'm sold on this tv and for the size and price point, and the return policy of Costco, I think it's a done deal.

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #365 of 1369 Old 11-18-2012, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Except for AquoMotion on the 70C6400U is everything else the same as the 70C640U? I'm wanting to confirm that the 6400 has the same CMS controls as the 640 does. Thanks.
post #366 of 1369 Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way, it looks like Costco has it on sale for 1999.99 through 11/16.

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #367 of 1369 Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

Except for AquoMotion on the 70C6400U is everything else the same as the 70C640U? I'm wanting to confirm that the 6400 has the same CMS controls as the 640 does. Thanks.

Well, since I doubt that anyone would ever actually own both sets, the only way to know is by reading the manual. You can get it online from the Sharp web site.

Here are the diffs I found just searching for "6400" :
Quote:
Motion Enhancement
Use Motion Enhancement to view fast-action video
more clearly.
■ LC-70LE640U/LC-60LE640U/LC-52LE640U
120Hz High/120Hz Low: For obtaining a clearer image.
Off: Normal image.
■ LC-80LE633U/LC-70C6400U/LC-60C6400U/
LC-52C6400U
AquoMotion240: Turns the LED backlight on or off to
display motion picture more smoothly and clearly.
120Hz High/120Hz Low: For obtaining a clearer image.
Off: Normal image..
Quote:
Demo Mode
You can select the image from several types of demo
mode.
■ LC-70LE640U/LC-60LE640U/LC-52LE640U
SmartCentral/Feature Demo/Auto Play
■ LC-80LE633U/LC-70C6400U/LC-60C6400U/
LC-52C6400U
AquoMotion240/SmartCentral/Feature Demo/
Auto Play
post #368 of 1369 Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Im beginning to think trailing effects during sporting events can vary with the signal feed from the production crew & your broadcast provider. Thursday night on ESPN during the live telecast of the NC vs. Virginia game the PQ was outstanding with the HD cameras the TV crews were using.returned them.

I think there's a lot of merit to what you're saying here. I watched ESPN U's "HD" broadcast of the Duke Vs.Georgia Tech game yesterday (via cable), and it was so compressed that they should have been forced to call it an SD broadcast. The textures in the field looked like an unstable plasma mass... it was unwatchable at times. Even with motion enhancement at "High" there was 'judder', but it was more because the cable stream was so compressed.

Today I'm watching the Panthers/Bucs game on Fox, via the same cable provider and it looks far more natural with motion enhancement off. I do see some judder when a bunch of players are concentrated in one area at normal speed. However, when I turn motion enhancement on, the judder that I'm seeing in this game is eliminated. I'm going to get my rabbit ears out at halftime and see if the problems I'm having are eliminated with an OTA DTV signal.

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #369 of 1369 Old 11-18-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm really looking forward to watching this set with Verizon Fios. I've had real good luck with Fios and my other TV's...both HD and SD. That's saying a lot since I worked for another "provider" for
32 years. eek.gif

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #370 of 1369 Old 11-18-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. OnlookerDelay, have you been seeing the blur when using game mode?

I do see the blur (although "judder" better describes what I see) in Game mode, while viewing HD cable sources. The option to turn motion enhancement on is disabled in "Game" mode, but I've found that when I'm playing an XBox 360 game using it, I don't need motion enhancement.... there's no judder there.

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #371 of 1369 Old 11-18-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

After further review, my test with OTA DTV lends a lot of support to Siverfox1's contention that the quality of the input has a lot to do judder. It took me a while to dial the gain and get the proper angle with my amplified rabbit ears, but once I dialed in WCCB-HD (Charlotte), it was markedly better in freedom from motion judder than the cable signal, and marginally better in overall image quality. I still saw some hint of judder at times, but significantly less than what I'm getting via cable.

I'd go with this arrangement permanently if it weren't for the fact that I'd have to leave my rabbit ears up permanently on an ottoman in the middle of our living room to turn them in the direction needed to get an optimum signal. My better half would have no part of that, so I'll have to live with my compressed cable (Comporium) signal frown.gif
Jairo likes this.

post #372 of 1369 Old 11-18-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay View Post

After further review, my test with OTA DTV lends a lot of support to Siverfox1's contention that the quality of the input has a lot to do judder. It took me a while to dial the gain and get the proper angle with my amplified rabbit ears, but once I dialed in WCCB-HD (Charlotte), it was markedly better in freedom from motion judder than the cable signal, and marginally better in overall image quality. I still saw some hint of judder at times, but significantly less than what I'm getting via cable.
I'd go with this arrangement permanently if it weren't for the fact that I'd have to leave my rabbit ears up permanently on an ottoman in the middle of our living room to turn them in the direction needed to get an optimum signal. My better half would have no part of that, so I'll have to live with my compressed cable (Comporium) signal frown.gif

Or put an antenna on the roof or in the attic.

Steve S.
post #373 of 1369 Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Or put an antenna on the roof or in the attic.

Oh I've given it some serious thought, going back to my first HDTV purchase in 2006. Getting the antenna cable from my living room to the roof or attic is a logistical nightmare. I can't pull it off without some severe alterations to walls and ceilings. My wife would never go for it...

post #374 of 1369 Old 11-19-2012, 06:01 PM

So I'm just about sold on the LC-70LE640U. I stopped in at Sears that had it in stock and on display but they couldn't find a remote that would work with it. It only had a coax input for the demo anyway.

They did have a 60LE640U with a DishNetwork receiver plugged in via HDMI that I got to play with a bit. I goofed around with the settings but couldn't find the motion enhancement stuff to really do a comparison. I switched it to the Monday Night Football pre-game show and was relatively pleased with the quality. It might have been better but the way they had it set up I could only get about 8 feet away. The viewing distance in my living room will be 14 feet.

I watch a lot of sports and HD TV shows. We do watch some movies, but that isn't the primary content.

This thread has me worried that I won't be happy with this unit. But as with everything, there are some awesome reviews, and then there are some horrible reviews.
I'm considering just buying it and seeing how it works out. Sears has a 30-day return policy. I think BestBuy has it in stock too, so I have another option there as well.
post #375 of 1369 Old 11-20-2012, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Ancker, I think that's the way to go. You can pull your hair out with so many differing reviews (for any TV) so if you like what you see, and the price is right you should just buy it. I have a Panasonic and a Philips set that had a wide range of reviews, but I've enjoyed both. Neither are perfect, but both very enjoyable.
I went ahead and downloaded the owners manual for the Sharp so that I could become familiar with it before I buy it. I also plan on picking up a wall mount and hdmi cables ahead of time and getting everything set up so that I can just put this bad boy up on the wall when I get it and start enjoying 70 inches of viewing pleasure!!

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #376 of 1369 Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancker View Post

I'm considering just buying it and seeing how it works out. Sears has a 30-day return policy. I think BestBuy has it in stock too, so I have another option there as well.

I suggest you folks consider printing out the below ad after entering the additional 2% Off coupon code in the cart and bringing the printed copy into your nearest Best Buy and see if they will match the price. I received the price match from BB on both the 60" & 70" displays i recently purchased on the 1st & 12th of this month:

This is the lowest price thus far which is $1888.50 for the 70" 640u:

http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Sharp-LED-HDTV-p/lc70le640u.htm

Regards, wink.gif
post #377 of 1369 Old 11-20-2012, 02:10 PM

I've tried doing a little research on the audio settings for these sets but haven't found much. For those of you without a seperate sound system, what kind of audio settings have you been using? I've been playing around a bit and can't figure out what I think sounds the best or not.

On a side note, the movie picture settings posted a couple pages back are awesome, definitely the best picture setting I've come across so far, I use it for gaming on the Xbox as well.
post #378 of 1369 Old 11-20-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Tyler, were those SilverFox1's settings you're using/

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #379 of 1369 Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 PM

Nope. The one posted by "N3W813".

Quote:

Tyler, were those SilverFox1's settings you're using/
post #380 of 1369 Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool...thanks! Have you tried them for broadcast tv as well or just movies and gaming?

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #381 of 1369 Old 11-22-2012, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I was just going through the manual and noticed it says to "Not mount this tv on a tilt". Is this true or is everyone mounting on a tilt without any problems?

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #382 of 1369 Old 11-22-2012, 06:26 AM

I picked up a LC-70LE640U at Sears yesterday and I'm happy I did. I expected to be 'just happy' with the picture quality as this isn't a high end model by any means, but I'm extremely happy with everything to do with this TV. I recorded an HD NFL game so I could compare it to my previous TV and full speed passes, running, etc are nice and sharp.

I slammed in SilverFox1's "Standard" settings as well as N3W813's "Movie" settings. Both improved the colors and overall feel over original settings. I did a bit of tweaking of both to my taste.

Sources: DirecTV HR34 (HMC), 1stGen PS3, 2ndGen AppleTV. Through a Denon AVR-2113CI receiver. I just wish I had a newer PS3 that had HDMI control. Running on latest Firmware.

Here's my really quick picture quality/source format review:

PS3/BluRay - Dark Knight 1080p - F'ing awesome.
DirecTV/HD - NFL Football 1080i - Very sharp, occasional artifacts that are barely noticeable.
DirecTV/HD - various TV - Looks great. very happy with the quality.
DirecTV/SD - various TV - Surprisingly good, obviously not HD quality, but not as bad as I expected it to be.
2ndGen AppleTV/Plex Client - Streaming Movie 480p source - VERY good quality, I couldn't believe how good this looked with only a 480p streamed source.
Sharp/DLNA - Streaming from Plex server (480p source) - Picture quality good, but couldn't find a way to change the audio track to the 5.1 track. Because of this I'll likely not use this feature over my AppleTV.
MacBook Pro - Airplay Mirroring to AppleTV - Good quality, watched a couple youtube videos that looked good.

Hope this helps those of you trying to decide whether to go for it or not.
post #383 of 1369 Old 11-22-2012, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

^^^^

Glad to hear your happy as i am with both the 60" & 70" displays i purchased.

FYI, As of today BB has the 60" & 70" on sale for 1199 & 1999 which are both close to East Coast TV`s lowest current ad for these displays. I paid 1172 & 1977 for both my recent 640u purchases with price matches at BB from ECTV`s printed out ad.

Regards, wink.gif
post #384 of 1369 Old 11-22-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancker View Post

2ndGen AppleTV/Plex Client - Streaming Movie 480p source - VERY good quality, I couldn't believe how good this looked with only a 480p streamed source.
Sharp/DLNA - Streaming from Plex server (480p source) - Picture quality good, but couldn't find a way to change the audio track to the 5.1 track. Because of this I'll likely not use this feature over my AppleTV.
MacBook Pro - Airplay Mirroring to AppleTV - Good quality, watched a couple youtube videos that looked good.

Congrats! We love ours.

Similar experience here, except instead of the ATV I use a Mini and my mirrored source was an iPad. Just wait until you play a 720p file with Plex! Looks awesome. Couldn't a see a big enough difference between a 1080p and 720p file to justify the storage and bandwidth requirements. Don't get me wrong, I could see a difference. Just not a huge one. I wasn't too impressed with the DLNA streaming either.

One of the best features of it and the pioneer amp I'm using, is IP Control. It allows me to use the awesome Roomie Remote App on any of the iDevices in the house for a remote to control everything (including the Mini). The crappy IR remotes are put away for good.

Chance
post #385 of 1369 Old 11-22-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:

^^^^
Glad to hear your happy as i am with both the 60" & 70" displays i purchased.
FYI, As of today BB has the 60" & 70" on sale for 1199 & 1999 which are both close to East Coast TV`s lowest current ad for these displays. I paid 1172 & 1977 for both my recent 640u purchases with price matches at BB from ECTV`s printed out ad.
Regards, wink.gif

Same price at Costco, but Costco will double the warranty to 2 years. Plus you get 90 days to return and if the price drops in those 90 days, they'll refund the difference. I originally paid $2480 for the 70" and Costco refunded me the $480. Just sayin...

Chance
post #386 of 1369 Old 11-22-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

ChanceG, will Costco refund the difference even if it's a manufacture's rebate that drops the price? Right now it's 1999 with the 500 rebate.
Anyway, I had all but decided on this set, but now it's a done deal. I had toyed with the idea of the 65 Vizio but it sounds like it has banding issues and
I'd rather stay with a brand that I know, like this Sharp. Thanks again to everyone giving reviews and settings.

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #387 of 1369 Old 11-22-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:

ChanceG, will Costco refund the difference even if it's a manufacture's rebate that drops the price? Right now it's 1999 with the 500 rebate.
Anyway, I had all but decided on this set, but now it's a done deal. I had toyed with the idea of the 65 Vizio but it sounds like it has banding issues and
I'd rather stay with a brand that I know, like this Sharp. Thanks again to everyone giving reviews and settings.

Yep. Costco actually had two price drops on it during my 90 days. First time it was $300, which they refunded. Second time it was for another $180, which they also refunded. Even though we have a Costco here, I bought mine on Costco.com as I'm out of the city and sales tax was less. Plus, they have free delivery. I just had to wait a week. That was the hard part.

FWIW, we have a year old 32" Vizio on the wall in the kitchen, and its a big POS. The audio will spontaneously stop, requiring a reboot. They've got something wrong with their hdmi implementation. Going to component stops the problem.

Chance
post #388 of 1369 Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Outstanding! I was going to wait till closer to Christmas when I'm guessing they will go back on sale, but I'll just pick one up early December when they restock and get the refund later.
Football playoffs on a 70 inch screen will be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #389 of 1369 Old 11-22-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Football playoffs on a 70 inch screen will be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!

We picked it up for the Olympics, but OTA football looks outstanding on this set!

Chance
post #390 of 1369 Old 11-22-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there any consensus on the best wall mount to use on this one. Been looking at both Sanus and Monoprice but both have multiple models that
look like to do the job.

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le640u 60 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page