Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1369 Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeka View Post

Oh yea! Thats the pop I was looking for. Just darkened it down a smidge. Man, my 640u 60" makes MN football look like its in 3d!!! Thanks!

Are you seeing any significant motion blur from the football in the air? I see the settings you're using have Motion Enhancement = Off.

I just got this set on Saturday and was watching football this weekend. I have ME = High and the football still blurs quite a lot during passes and kicks. I'm wondering if my set is a bit off. I also have Sharpness = +1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1369 Old 11-27-2012, 06:43 PM

Liked: 11
turn all video processing off.
post #453 of 1369 Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 PM

I'm taking delivery on the 70" version of this set in a couple of weeks - going from a 55" Mits rear projection which I have babied for the past ten years. Putting together all of the info from previous posts, and taking into account that I will be using Disney WOW to calibrate, are there any default settings besides the following of which I should be aware? Motion Enhancement - Off; Active Contrast - Off; DNR - Off; OPC - Off;

...in particular, I am most confused by the Film Mode setting - should I set this to Advanced, then experiment with the range of settings to see which I prefer, or just set to OFF? I will be viewing a lot of Blu-Ray film and TV seriies content , as well as watching everyday HD from AT&T Uverse (news and a short list of episodic TV). I will not be interested in sports or games.

I'm assuming I will be able to take care of most color and contrast settings with the WOW disc.
post #454 of 1369 Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklee View Post

I'm taking delivery on the 70" version of this set in a couple of weeks - going from a 55" Mits rear projection which I have babied for the past ten years. Putting together all of the info from previous posts, and taking into account that I will be using Disney WOW to calibrate, are there any default settings besides the following of which I should be aware? Motion Enhancement - Off; Active Contrast - Off; DNR - Off; OPC - Off;
...in particular, I am most confused by the Film Mode setting - should I set this to Advanced, then experiment with the range of settings to see which I prefer, or just set to OFF? I will be viewing a lot of Blu-Ray film and TV seriies content , as well as watching everyday HD from AT&T Uverse (news and a short list of episodic TV). I will not be interested in sports or games.
I'm assuming I will be able to take care of most color and contrast settings with the WOW disc.

Set it to off unless you like SOE.

WDTV Live SMP with 5TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #455 of 1369 Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post

I'd agree with everything you mention, except for the lip sync issues. That has been a major problem when an external amp/receiver is used, and there is any processing going on inside the television.

No Lip Sync problems here with my caveman audio setup. tongue.gif

I have both the 60" & 70" 640u sets audio out running to external Onkyo HT amplifiers. My wife does not like having to use multiple remotes so i simply set the 640u audio to " Variable " & purchased the below 3.5mm to RCA cables and plugged the 3.5mm male plug into the back of the 640u " Audio Out " jack located above the HDMI inputs, and plugged the RCA`s into the Onkyo RCA inputs. Now the Sharp programmed ATT Uverse remotes control all functions of the 640u TV`s and the wife is happy. Sure i only have 2ch. stereo audio output but adjusting the Onkyo amps to around 75% output and varying the TV`s audio out with just the ATT Uverse remote allows even the younger grandkids easy control of the TV`s functions.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021817&p_id=9768&seq=1&format=2

I used to like all the 5.1 & 7.1 sounds coming out of the various mounted speakers but the wife & kids were always pushing buttons on the amplifiers remotes and losing audio. Then calling me at work raising cane that they could not hear the TV.

Life is alot easier now knowing a monkey could operate my new Sharp`s ! biggrin.gif

Regards, wink.gif
post #456 of 1369 Old 11-27-2012, 08:07 PM

Definitely NOT a fan of the SOE; I am most crtical of PQ when watching films, and don't know of any that benefit from looking like Grandma's "Stories"... I'm just hoping to avoid the dreaded "judder", as this takes me out of enjoying a film in an instant...
post #457 of 1369 Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbara View Post

Are you seeing any significant motion blur from the football in the air? I see the settings you're using have Motion Enhancement = Off.
I just got this set on Saturday and was watching football this weekend. I have ME = High and the football still blurs quite a lot during passes and kicks. I'm wondering if my set is a bit off. I also have Sharpness = +1.

ME actually makes the motion blur worse in terms of the ball ghosting and blurring on my set. It helps with what I'd describe as motion judder with the players though. I have to pick my poison as to which I'd rather see, although I have learned that a broacast OTA DTV signal pretty much eliminates most of the judder with motion enhancement off..

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #458 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 AM

Hi, just purchased a Sharp Aquos 60in LE640u TV + a Sharp Soundbar HT-SB60 (wanting to enjoy some surround sound).

www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sharp-sharp-2-1-channel-home-theatre-sound-bar-ht-sb60-ht-sb60/10225570.aspx

I have a toshiba blu-ray player and a PS3 as well.
Also have a cable box for cable tv.

How should I connect all the hardware? The goal being that I can enjoy the best qualty audio / surround sound when possible from blu ray, cable tv (ps3 is less frequently used).

I tried following the sharp guide which advised all the components >> soundbar >> TV (all hdmi). but this would only transmit audio, and the tv doesnt show the corresponding video. (ie when playing a bluray). Also not sure if i have enough ports to send a dedicated video line to tv and dedicated line for audio to soundbar from all 3 (cable box, toshiba bluray, ps3)

I did notice when i connected the toshiba bluray to the sound bar directly with hdmi (toshiba bluray > soundbar > tv) and played the Dark Knight bluray that even though only audio was playing and no video showed up on tv , that the dolby logo or DTS logo did not light up on my soundbar display.. but it sounded like surround, however the soundbar does have simulated 3D audio . I thought that when the soundbar plays dolby or DTS, the display would show it. neway just something i noticed (lack of).

My soundbar ports are 2 hdmi in, 1 hdmi out (TV arc), 1 optical in, 1 3.5mm audio in.
TV has 4 hdmi in, one optical out,

Neway after playing around like above, currently I settled with connecting everything to tv thru HDMI and then running an optical cable from the TV to the soundbar

(PS3, cable box, and toshiba bluray) > TV via HDMI and TV > soundbar via optical (but Im not sure if the optical out from TV will transmit 5.1 audio)

I also have an hdmi tv arc connection between soundbar and tv (tv arc just lets me use one remote for both soundbar and tv -- AquosLink )

neway I wonder if this setup is correct. I have a suspicion about the tv optical out transmitting 5.1 audio to the soundbar.. not sure...

any clarifications would be much appreciated
post #459 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 AM

I've recently purchased the LC70640U and am loving it so far. I have a bit of an issue regarding the optical audio output. Is there a way to turn the internal speakers off but have the optical audio output fixed so I can control the volume with my external amplifier? The only thing I found in the manual and by browsing the menus is to set the audio output to "Variable" which turns the internal speakers off but makes the audio output variable (duh). I could not find a simple "Speaker: ON/OFF". Thanks in advance for any assistance and all the other helpful knowledge provided in this thread.
post #460 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvrock View Post

I've recently purchased the LC70640U and am loving it so far. I have a bit of an issue regarding the optical audio output. Is there a way to turn the internal speakers off but have the optical audio output fixed so I can control the volume with my external amplifier? The only thing I found in the manual and by browsing the menus is to set the audio output to "Variable" which turns the internal speakers off but makes the audio output variable (duh). I could not find a simple "Speaker: ON/OFF". Thanks in advance for any assistance and all the other helpful knowledge provided in this thread.

I have Sony soundbar connected by optical cable to a TV. Set a TV speaker volume to the minimum and that doesn't affect optical volume.
post #461 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 10:03 AM

help, does our tv output 5.1 audio via digital optical out?
post #462 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo996 View Post

help, does our tv output 5.1 audio via digital optical out?

Yes. You have to change the output in the menu to Bitstream.
turbo996 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #463 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon7 View Post

I have Sony soundbar connected by optical cable to a TV. Set a TV speaker volume to the minimum and that doesn't affect optical volume.

there is a setting, albeit in another menu:

system options/input terminal settings/output select

choose "variable"
post #464 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 AM

thanks. yea i believe i tinkered with that before, but i never had the dolby blue light come on when watching a blu ray or tv. I also wonder if i should connect everything (cable box, ps3, bluray) to tv and then have a single toslink from tv to soundbar, or connect to soundbar and then tv arc from soundbar to tv. I have yet to see that dolby blue light come on, no matter what i play or how i plug. the sharp soundbar guide states connect all to soundbar first then tvarc to tv.
post #465 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbara View Post

In sports mode, I played around with the 120 Hz (high) and 120 Hz (low) - and both sucked for passes and basic motion blurr during football games. It needs to be set to off. Dont think you can change it in "standard mode".
post #466 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:

I have a toshiba blu-ray player and a PS3 as well.

I just use my PS3 for my blu-ray player. Really cleans up the cable situation. Also, one less remote or one less thing for my Harmony One to turn on and how I justified getting game system/blu-ray/netflix boxed in one piece of equipment.

I cant use the Netflix aboard the TV because the setup of my tuner/receiver. Man, I love that PS3.
turbo996 likes this.
post #467 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeka View Post

In sports mode, I played around with the 120 Hz (high) and 120 Hz (low) - and both sucked for passes and basic motion blurr during football games. It needs to be set to off. Dont think you can change it in "standard mode".

Yes, you can change it to off in Standard mode, however, I believe there is still some background processing that remains on in Standard that is not on in Game mode. With that said, I still believe it depends on your cable provider as to how standard with everything off looks as opposed to having to use game mode. Whatever works best in your own situation.

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #468 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 02:37 PM

So sports are really a no go no this set because of motion blur.
post #469 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosescase View Post

No...just turn off the video processing and you should be fine. I was still in the factory default standard witih 120hz high when I watched a game on Monday and I saw very very little blur...no blur once turned off, and that was in Standard mode not game mode. When I say saw a little blur, I mean just a little and at that it was at the tail end of the pass. No double or trailing footballs etc.

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #470 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosescase View Post

Untrue.

I've watched TONs of sports since getting this TV. I have zero issues with motion blur.
Football, basketball, hockey (highlights from last year), Racing, Tennis. All look great.
post #471 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

since this subject keeps coming up, can people that are having motion problems please post what settings you've tried, and what cable provider you have. Heck, it might even be helpful if you give your definition of how severe the blur is. I'm guessing we're going
to see a trend here.

MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
post #472 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 04:42 PM

Can any one say how this TV stands up to the vizio 60 led ?
post #473 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 04:50 PM

A note that those of you moving up in screen size should remember: the number of pixels (2073600) of a 46" LCD, as in your old TV is the same as a 60" or 70" that you’re upgrading to. But the number of Pixels Per Inch are very different: 46” @ 48 PPI vs. 70” @ 32 PPI. This means that given the same viewing distance you’re likely to see worse perceived artifacting (video compression) on your new TV. Also SD video inputs will look worse (like from a Wii or SD channel) from the same viewing distance.
post #474 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:

thanks. yea i believe i tinkered with that before, but i never had the dolby blue light come on when watching a blu ray or tv. I also wonder if i should connect everything (cable box, ps3, bluray) to tv and then have a single toslink from tv to soundbar, or connect to soundbar and then tv arc from soundbar to tv. I have yet to see that dolby blue light come on, no matter what i play or how i plug. the sharp soundbar guide states connect all to soundbar first then tvarc to tv.

search this thread further back, there is a way to switch it into TV mode and push D5.1 (i think). I'm not using that, still limpin by on a Yamaha receiver, Boston satellites and a B&W sub.
post #475 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 PM

If the feed is HDMI, the television will not output Dolby DTS via TV Optical out. It will output 2-channel PCM only in this scenario.
post #476 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 09:09 PM

I've been using Silverfox's standard settings which I love. However I've been watching Dexter and with the dark scenes I can see clouding along the edge of the screen. It's actually quite bad..are there any fixes for this?
post #477 of 1369 Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 PM

This is what I'm dealing with. It looks worse in person.

post #478 of 1369 Old 11-29-2012, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonxn View Post

I've been using Silverfox's standard settings which I love. However I've been watching Dexter and with the dark scenes I can see clouding along the edge of the screen. It's actually quite bad..are there any fixes for this?

How old is your TV? Clouding on your TV most likely caused by storage, transportation, and mounting stress. I'd say wait for few weeks and see if it starts to get better. My 60LE640U had a bit of clouding in the beginning but it went away after month or two. Another option is to exchange this TV.
post #479 of 1369 Old 11-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post

If the feed is HDMI, the television will not output Dolby DTS via TV Optical out. It will output 2-channel PCM only in this scenario.

IMO if folks dont mind using their Amplifier remote it is best to use a Toslink optical audio cable directly out from the back of the client provider cable box to the Amp. I did this in the past and received Dolby DTS or whatever was being broadcast correctly and my Onkyo processed it just fine. If not as KryptoNyte states you will get only 2 ch. stereo PCM coming out of the Sharp TV. Note that within the menu tabs of your client provider cable box using its remote you will find a selection under options/audio to either select " PCM or Bitstream" or " Stereo or Surround " . I have ATT Uverse.

Regards, wink.gif
turbo996 likes this.
post #480 of 1369 Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonxn View Post

This is what I'm dealing with. It looks worse in person.

I certainly realize its a PITA to return the set providing you purchased it locally and have a truck, but if your unhappy at present you probably always will be if you dont exchange it. Personally i dont see any pronounced clouding on either the 60" in the master bedroom nor the 70" in the living room using the same exact settings when viewing a dark screen.

Regards & Good Luck whatever your decision, wink.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le640u 60 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page