Official 2012 Sharp LC-XXLE640U/XXC6400U - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1357 Old 12-09-2012, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you set both Film Mode and Motion Enhancement to Off, there is no SOE in any of the preset modes when viewing film material.

The only problem with doing this, is that the TV does not handle 24p material properly. What it "should" do is 5:5 pulldown without interpolation, in other words displaying each frame 5 times at 120hz, so that you actually see 24fps. But that is not what it does; in fact the 120hz modes are really 60hz with software interpolation. Any native 24p source displayed on this TV is first converted to 60hz with 3:2 pulldown, and then any Film Mode or Motion Enhancement processing is performed on that.

The best looking picture I have achieved for 24p source material (blu-ray movies) is to run the TV with both Film Mode and Motion Enhancement turned completely off, and then set my blu ray player (Panasonic DMP-BDT220) not to output native 24p. That uses the player's 3:2 pulldown, which seems to do a better job for whatever reason than the TV does. This also removes the burden of the 3:2 conversion from the TV. So you still have a small amount of judder due to the 3:2 pulldown, but I greatly prefer that to SOE.

As far as the "motion enhancement", at this point I never turn it on. I have yet to see any benefit from it, and it causes motion blur on small fast-moving objects in both Low and High settings. This means footballs turn into a pixelated blur. With Motion Enhancement turned off, footballs look normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1357 Old 12-09-2012, 02:24 PM

Liked: 11
Just curious anybody, how long does it take for your Sharp 60" , to change channels from a 720p channel to a 1080i channel?

Mine takes about 6 to 7 seconds, but similar channels (720 to 720 or a 1080 to a 1080), are quick.

I have all of my signals (Cable, PS3, and Xbox) going through my receiver.

Ill buy another receiver if the receiver is causing this. Maybe one that is 1080 ready? Is that an option?

Just want to know if this is normal or if its my (older) receiver. Hopefully not the TV.

BTW the receiver is not THAT old, its a ONKYO HT-RC-260. But oddly enough, the TV I replaced with my Sharp ( 2 yr old Hitatachi 55) did the same thing.

It would be nice to not have that delay.

W
post #543 of 1357 Old 12-09-2012, 02:47 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaid View Post

If you set both Film Mode and Motion Enhancement to Off, there is no SOE in any of the preset modes when viewing film material.
The only problem with doing this, is that the TV does not handle 24p material properly. What it "should" do is 5:5 pulldown without interpolation, in other words displaying each frame 5 times at 120hz, so that you actually see 24fps. But that is not what it does; in fact the 120hz modes are really 60hz with software interpolation. Any native 24p source displayed on this TV is first converted to 60hz with 3:2 pulldown, and then any Film Mode or Motion Enhancement processing is performed on that.
The best looking picture I have achieved for 24p source material (blu-ray movies) is to run the TV with both Film Mode and Motion Enhancement turned completely off, and then set my blu ray player (Panasonic DMP-BDT220) not to output native 24p. That uses the player's 3:2 pulldown, which seems to do a better job for whatever reason than the TV does. This also removes the burden of the 3:2 conversion from the TV. So you still have a small amount of judder due to the 3:2 pulldown, but I greatly prefer that to SOE.
As far as the "motion enhancement", at this point I never turn it on. I have yet to see any benefit from it, and it causes motion blur on small fast-moving objects in both Low and High settings. This means footballs turn into a pixelated blur. With Motion Enhancement turned off, footballs look normal.

At least on my set, I'm still seeing weird SOE off and on - though very subtle -with both Film mode and Motion Enhancement to off in all preset modes except Game. I notice it the most when watching older broadcast filmed material, such as episodes of Perry Mason/ Twilight Zone...anything that was originally shot on film. This has to be the motion interpolation you mention above.
post #544 of 1357 Old 12-10-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeka View Post

Just curious anybody, how long does it take for your Sharp 60" , to change channels from a 720p channel to a 1080i channel?
Mine takes about 6 to 7 seconds, but similar channels (720 to 720 or a 1080 to a 1080), are quick.
Ill buy another receiver if the receiver is causing this. Maybe one that is 1080 ready? Is that an option?
Just want to know if this is normal or if its my (older) receiver. Hopefully not the TV.
BTW the receiver is not THAT old, its a ONKYO HT-RC-260. But oddly enough, the TV I replaced with my Sharp ( 2 yr old Hitatachi 55) did the same thing.

How is your cable TV setup actually wired? I am guessing the coax cable goes to a cable box or DVR, and then the cable box is connected to your receiver via HDMI or component, and then the receiver connects to the TV via HDMI? If so, the lag could be in the cable box itself, or it could be in the receiver (since that receiver can do video upconversion). You could try connecting the cable box directly to the TV (bypassing the receiver) to see if it makes any difference.

I actually have my Sharp 60" connected directly to the cable TV feed (coax going into the back of the TV, positively medieval!) and there doesn't seem to be any difference in the amount of time it takes to switch between 720p and 1080i channels or from one to the other. I have Time Warner cable here, my plasma in the living room is connected to a SA8300HD DVR and my kitchen TV has a Samsung 3050HD converter box. Both of those cable boxes are terribly slow and changing channels takes forever. My guess is the same is true in your case, the fact that you were seeing this with your previous TV sort of bears this out.
post #545 of 1357 Old 12-11-2012, 12:46 PM

I have a 540U and haven't been able to find any discussions pertaining to that TV. Does anyone know if it is similar enough to the 640U to use the calibration settings discussed in this thread? Thanks.

Jon
post #546 of 1357 Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCr View Post

I have a 540U and haven't been able to find any discussions pertaining to that TV. Does anyone know if it is similar enough to the 640U to use the calibration settings discussed in this thread? Thanks.
Jon

Sharp's product literature treats the 540/640 sets as the same series, so they may well be similar enough that the settings would work for both. I have not seen any calibration reports of a 540 series TV to compare with a 640.
post #547 of 1357 Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:

Sharp's product literature treats the 540/640 sets as the same series, so they may well be similar enough that the settings would work for both. I have not seen any calibration reports of a 540 series TV to compare with a 640.

I chatted with a Sharp CSR and she said the 540 and 640 series are similar and should have the same picture settings. That is good news - maybe I can get some good calibration tips from this thread. Thanks.
post #548 of 1357 Old 12-11-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodeka View Post

It would be nice to not have that delay.
W

Most likely the reason you are seeing a delay when you change channels that also have a resolution change is your cable box is set to "native". This means your TV has to do an HDMI handshake everytime when there is a resolution change. That HDMI handshake is most likely the delay you are seeing. You can test this by going into your cable boxes resolution settings and change it to a fixed output (i.e. 720p or 1080i). The delay should go away with this setting change.
post #549 of 1357 Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest User1 View Post

Most likely the reason you are seeing a delay when you change channels that also have a resolution change is your cable box is set to "native". This means your TV has to do an HDMI handshake everytime when there is a resolution change. That HDMI handshake is most likely the delay you are seeing. You can test this by going into your cable boxes resolution settings and change it to a fixed output (i.e. 720p or 1080i). The delay should go away with this setting change.

Would that affect picture quality of 720p broadcast?

Memphis Home Builder
post #550 of 1357 Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM

Well the up-side is your TV will no longer change formats. The down side is your Box will convert everything to 720P, which might or might not make for a good looking picture depending on the hardware in the box doing the conversion. As for the general question of 720P vs. 1080i, I’d say if your box has both 720P and 1080i as a output selection try each one out for a week and see what you think.
post #551 of 1357 Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post

Would that affect picture quality of 720p broadcast?

I've tested this many times with my DirecTV box outputting a fixed 720p signal, 1080i signal, versus native. My eyes could not see a difference so I set the DirecTV box to output 720p and don't have the channel change delay any longer. It won't take you very long to test this with your own eyes to see if you notice anything. In my opinion the only reason to use Native mode on the cable/sat boxes is if you are absolutely certain that your TV/Display has superior processing capabilities or the cable/sat box has horrible processing capabilities. The only way to really know this is with the proper testing equipment that calibrators/reviewers use.
post #552 of 1357 Old 12-15-2012, 12:19 PM

I've found the settings in my cable box, but it doesn't " lock" onto 720 or 1080. And I used "auto" but no help. But after messing with the settings, when I go form 1080 to 720, there is no lag. Just when I go from 720 to 1080.

I'm go into to try what Phaid suggested and just try hardwiring cable box to tv.

I probably need a newer cable box anyway as mine is over 7 years old.

Thanks all.
post #553 of 1357 Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 AM

I got my LC-60C6400U yesterday afternoon from Costco and it worked fine a couple hours last night. But there was barely picture seen this morning while you can get audio somehow. You can see the green leaf sign on top right corner and some menu wording in top right corner area, but that was all. I tried power on/off and unplug several times, but none of them worked. Just wondering whether the screen died on 2nd day? One thing I want to mention was that the TV prompted me for software upgrade last night, but it was abort due to internet connection drop-off, but TV was working fine afterwards.
Is there possibility that the dead screen caused by aborted firmware upgrade? If so, how can I reload the upgraded software to the TV. Any comments or suggestions?
post #554 of 1357 Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 AM

Ok, the picture turned back but it was after quite a time. And I was able to manually upgrade the firmware through USB flash drive. But the TV hung up again for couple of minutes to show the picture after power on once or twice though normally it took 5-10 seconds or so. Is it normal or common problem for this model? What is the average power on to picture shown time? If it is quality issue, I can certainly return the TV back to Costco, which has 90 days return policy.
post #555 of 1357 Old 12-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison520 View Post

Ok, the picture turned back but it was after quite a time. And I was able to manually upgrade the firmware through USB flash drive. But the TV hung up again for couple of minutes to show the picture after power on once or twice though normally it took 5-10 seconds or so. Is it normal or common problem for this model? What is the average power on to picture shown time? If it is quality issue, I can certainly return the TV back to Costco, which has 90 days return policy.

I use ATT Uverse service with a DVR set top box hdmi output and the normal power up time before actual viewing is around 5-6 seconds. This power up time is the same on both the 60" & 70" displays i have. I dont know if your specific client provider service could possibly increase the power up time due to hdmi handshake delays but you can always simply disconnect your hdmi service cable and time the Sharp power up time for comparison sake.

I recently purchased both the 60" & 70" 640u sets from Best Buy and the 60" had a July build date & the 70" had a Nov. build date. I have not updated the 60" unit to the latest firmware and it is doing just fine.

" When selecting Menu on the remotes and clicking on " Identification " the firmware software I.D. number ends in 161 on the 60" with the July Build date and on the 70" Nov. build date it ends in 181."

Regards & Good Luck, wink.gif
post #556 of 1357 Old 12-16-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox1 View Post

I use ATT Uverse service with a DVR set top box hdmi output and the normal power up time before actual viewing is around 5-6 seconds. This power up time is the same on both the 60" & 70" displays i have. I dont know if your specific client provider service could possibly increase the power up time due to hdmi handshake delays but you can always simply disconnect your hdmi service cable and time the Sharp power up time for comparison sake.
I recently purchased both the 60" & 70" 640u sets from Best Buy and the 60" had a July build date & the 70" had a Nov. build date. I have not updated the 60" unit to the latest firmware and it is doing just fine.
" When selecting Menu on the remotes and clicking on " Identification " the firmware software I.D. number ends in 161 on the 60" with the July Build date and on the 70" Nov. build date it ends in 181."
Regards & Good Luck, wink.gif

Thanks for your comments. I have Dish network VIP722 DVR and PS3 to TV through Denon AVR1613 by HDMI. I will wait and see whether the same problem will occur or not.
post #557 of 1357 Old 12-16-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Under Picture menu set OPC to OFF. Also read the manual.
post #558 of 1357 Old 12-18-2012, 05:12 PM

The same issue came back again. I talked to Sharp Customer service and they are dispatching a serviceman to my house for troubleshooting. Maybe instead of be repaired or serviced, or replaced with refurbished TV, it is better just return the TV back to Costco.
post #559 of 1357 Old 12-19-2012, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The same issue came back again. I talked to Sharp Customer service and they are dispatching a serviceman to my house for troubleshooting. Maybe instead of be repaired or serviced, or replaced with refurbished TV, it is better just return the TV back to Costco.

This is why you buy from Costco in the first place. I know the TV is big and lugging it back and forth is a royal pain in the arse. Costco will either replace it with the same model. Or if they are out they will upgrade you or offer you a refund. There is no reason why you should have your new TV serviced.
post #560 of 1357 Old 12-19-2012, 06:50 AM

you can try and buy the same TV from amazon not only will they pricematch costo.com but they deliver the TV for free and have a 30 day return policy where is anything is wrong they will replace it no questions asked. They will also arrange the TV to be picked up for free. Saves the hassle of lugging TV around.
post #561 of 1357 Old 12-19-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Man, this is why I need to stop reading reviews. There's always something wrong with low-priced TVs! All stutter bothers me when playing PC games, but I watch so little TV and movies that I'm not sure whether this will bother me or not. I never noticed on my 32" Olevia (332H). I suppose the larger screen might make it more noticeable. I wish it was true 120hz so I didn't have to worry about it. I think I can live with everything else.
post #562 of 1357 Old 12-20-2012, 01:11 PM

Just purchased the LC-60le6400u and connected my computer through HDMI. The picture is fine but I cannot get any audio from the tv. I have other Sharp TV's that pass the audio through HDMI. I called Aquos Advantage and they told me that this tv cannot pass the sound through HDMI when using a computer. I find that hard to believe. Is that true? And, if not what is the fix?
post #563 of 1357 Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 PM

You need to change it within your computer. Sound properties make sure yoru sharp is selected for output devices. Then it should work
post #564 of 1357 Old 12-20-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cito83 View Post

You need to change it within your computer. Sound properties make sure yoru sharp is selected for output devices. Then it should work

It is selected, and as I said it works fine on my other Sharp TV's. Do I have a defective tv? I tried all of the HDMI inputs on this tv and get no audio to pass through the optical out, which gets passed through mu receiver. . Is there any setiing on the tv that must be changed? I can't find any.
post #565 of 1357 Old 12-20-2012, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgtconv View Post

Just purchased the LC-60le6400u and connected my computer through HDMI. The picture is fine but I cannot get any audio from the tv. I have other Sharp TV's that pass the audio through HDMI. I called Aquos Advantage and they told me that this tv cannot pass the sound through HDMI when using a computer. I find that hard to believe. Is that true? And, if not what is the fix?

I have the 70" I have no issue with audio from my HTPC via HDMI.
post #566 of 1357 Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 PM

Turns out Aquos Advantage is a disadvantage. I was able to set the tv to output the audio through the optical digital out, just as I thought it should. This is after the "Tech" at Aquos Advantage swore to me that this tv was not capable of doing this.
I have only had the tv for 2 days, and so far I like for everything except sports, which is important to me. I have tried every setting suggested here, but is simply can't get a good clear picture when the camera is panning in sports such as basketball. The blur of a tennis ball or golf ball doesn't bother me, as long as the rest of the picture stays clear. But when the players are running back and forth in basketball it seems like the whole picture blurs with movement. If I can't work that out, I will probably return it. I have two 46" Sharp's that are 5 years old and even though they exhibit some of the same flaws, it is not as noticeable because of the smaller size. I guess I expected more of an improvement in 5 years. I may try the 3D version because of the higher refresh rate. Does anyone know if that tv will handle sports better? BTW, I use both a cable box and digital antenna, and the games were in HD.
post #567 of 1357 Old 12-20-2012, 08:37 PM

Seriously considering the 70". I need a little clarification about video delay/lip sync.

My current setup is Sony 60XBR1 SXRD tv, and a 2005 Sony 7.1 ES receiver WITHOUT any HDMI connections. I have my DirectTV and PS3 going directly to the TV with HDMI for the video, and I'm using optical cables to go directly from the DirecTV & PS3 to the receiver for the audio. My audio & video are perfectly in sync right now.

I really like my old Sony ES receiver. I checked, and it does not have any audio delay settings. If I get this Sharp, and hook it up just like my current setup, will the video have serious lag behind the audio? How about if the TV is in game mode? Would the same video delay issue exist in a new Panny plasma? I would prefer to replace my SXRD with a TV that I can just drop in place, hook up the same way, and have no issues. Help........
post #568 of 1357 Old 12-22-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric290 View Post

Seriously considering the 70". I need a little clarification about video delay/lip sync.
My current setup is Sony 60XBR1 SXRD tv, and a 2005 Sony 7.1 ES receiver WITHOUT any HDMI connections. I have my DirectTV and PS3 going directly to the TV with HDMI for the video, and I'm using optical cables to go directly from the DirecTV & PS3 to the receiver for the audio. My audio & video are perfectly in sync right now.
I really like my old Sony ES receiver. I checked, and it does not have any audio delay settings. If I get this Sharp, and hook it up just like my current setup, will the video have serious lag behind the audio? How about if the TV is in game mode? Would the same video delay issue exist in a new Panny plasma? I would prefer to replace my SXRD with a TV that I can just drop in place, hook up the same way, and have no issues. Help........

Based on my similar experiences, the more processing the TV does to the video, the greater problem with lip sync, when using optical out of the source. Game Mode should reduce or eliminate the problem. I came from the same direction you did, but I'm now a believer in the ARC (Audio Return Channel) HDMI port on the TV and Receiver. It was a brand new $250 Yamaha receiver, which didn't seem too bad.

I don't have a Panny Plasma, so can't help you there.
post #569 of 1357 Old 12-22-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric290 View Post

I have my 360 connected directly to my 60" with HDMI, and connected to my Denon receiver with optical (so, exactly the same as how you have your PS3). When I put the TV in Game mode I have no lip synch problems whatsoever with the sound going over optical and no audio delay set in the receiver. I initially tried using ARC back to the receiver, but that had two issues: it was only in Dolby Pro-Logic and not Dolby Digital 5.1, and it had a slight lip synch difference. I could tweak it to get rid of the lip synch, but since it works so much better via optical anyway I decided not to bother.

As far as your DirectTV, you will need to set your TV in a mode that doesn't do much, or any, video processing in order to avoid audio lag. Game mode would certainly do it, and most likely Standard would as well if you turn off film mode, OLP, and motion enhancement.

Bottom line, you should be fine setting up your equipment the way you have it now.
post #570 of 1357 Old 12-22-2012, 02:37 PM

Thanks a lot Krypto & Phaid. That's the info I needed. Good to know I can keep Dolby Digital audio and have decent sync, without buying an HDMI receiver immediately. Probably gonna pull the trigger on a 70 640........
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le640u 60 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page