Official 2012 Sharp LC-XXLE640U/XXC6400U - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1369 Old 02-04-2013, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The football looked slightly blurry in motion but not horrible to me, in fact natural. I have the set on 120hz high but film mode and DNR off. I guess spring madness will help evaluate basketball in motion soon. TV over cable is a funny animal. There are so many quality variations from program to program. So far blu ray has been fantastic on the 640u.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1369 Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 PM

I want to add that before I bought this set last week I read through this entire discussion. Thank you everyone for posting your experiences, really helpful in making my decision to buy the 640u. Of course, I'll have to see how things look 90 days from now but so far I am very happy with the PQ.
post #723 of 1369 Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgregg99 View Post

So you're suggesting use game mode viewing for all things, tv watching, movies, games? I have mine on default dynamic then switch to game or movie default depending in which I'm doing... Am I shortcoming myself picture quality?

As DaGamePimp also mentioned, I think you are definitely missing out on a good picture. Dynamic, and in my opinion every other factory preset, are indeed far from accurate. You can have a tremendously better picture quality on your TV, which requires calibrating.

Now, I certainly agree with DaGamePimp's statement that no other form of calibration can be as good and as accurate as the professional one with pro equipment and software, but the only slight issue in this case might be that such pro calibration easily costs $400 or more in some cases, which is hefty for the TV that barely costs more than a grand. Maybe there are cheaper calibrators out there (and I wouldn't count Best Buy), but it's not cheap either way... So if anyone is ready to spend like 30 or 40% of the TV's purchase price to adjust the picture on it, by all means, there is no better way to get the ultimate PQ your TV can provide. I have done it on my other TV, but it was certainly worth it on that one, since it is a lot more expensive set and with the best picture on the market today.

But on the 640U, I am personally opting for the next best thing, which is calibrating myself with calibration patterns, and the mentioned calibrated reference set. Yeah, it's not 100% accurate if measured by a professional light sensor and equipment, but it is good enough to achieve a considerably better PQ than any preset and even to amaze. Sure, the pro equipment could measure some errors and correct them, but I frankly do not think they would be so strongly noticeable to the human eye any more. After all, my eyes watch the TV, and my eyes can barely see that much difference when comparing to the mentioned calibrated reference set. So that's good enough for me personally on the 640U, and it costs me nothing...

Anyway, I'm just saying not to discount the possibility to achieve very decent picture quality (even if not 100% pro perfect) with some of the free tools and doing it yourself, especially if pro calibration turns out expensive.

Whatever you opt for, I certainly recommend to do some calibrating on your set, and at least to start with maybe some of the posted settings here, or on CNET, which may already show you a huge difference in PQ... Good luck biggrin.gif

Z-Mad

My 640U settings: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399227/official-2012-sharp-lc-xxle640u-xxc6400u/690#post_22919120
post #724 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 02:48 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

As DaGamePimp also mentioned, I think you are definitely missing out on a good picture. Dynamic, and in my opinion every other factory preset, are indeed far from accurate. You can have a tremendously better picture quality on your TV, which requires calibrating.

Now, I certainly agree with DaGamePimp's statement that no other form of calibration can be as good and as accurate as the professional one with pro equipment and software, but the only slight issue in this case might be that such pro calibration easily costs $400 or more in some cases, which is hefty for the TV that barely costs more than a grand. Maybe there are cheaper calibrators out there (and I wouldn't count Best Buy), but it's not cheap either way... So if anyone is ready to spend like 30 or 40% of the TV's purchase price to adjust the picture on it, by all means, there is no better way to get the ultimate PQ your TV can provide. I have done it on my other TV, but it was certainly worth it on that one, since it is a lot more expensive set and with the best picture on the market today.

But on the 640U, I am personally opting for the next best thing, which is calibrating myself with calibration patterns, and the mentioned calibrated reference set. Yeah, it's not 100% accurate if measured by a professional light sensor and equipment, but it is good enough to achieve a considerably better PQ than any preset and even to amaze. Sure, the pro equipment could measure some errors and correct them, but I frankly do not think they would be so strongly noticeable to the human eye any more. After all, my eyes watch the TV, and my eyes can barely see that much difference when comparing to the mentioned calibrated reference set. So that's good enough for me personally on the 640U, and it costs me nothing...

Anyway, I'm just saying not to discount the possibility to achieve very decent picture quality (even if not 100% pro perfect) with some of the free tools and doing it yourself, especially if pro calibration turns out expensive.

Whatever you opt for, I certainly recommend to do some calibrating on your set, and at least to start with maybe some of the posted settings here, or on CNET, which may already show you a huge difference in PQ... Good luck biggrin.gif

Z-Mad

My 640U settings: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399227/official-2012-sharp-lc-xxle640u-xxc6400u/690#post_22919120

Thanks Z-Mad! I will take both of your advice and calibrate the game setting. Quick question by using your calibrated setting in game mode do you use that specific setting for games, movies, and regular tv or do you find yourself making a slight change for each one? So you find the 120 hz and film mode detract from viewing?
post #725 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Thanks Z-Mad! I will take both of your advice and calibrate the game setting. Quick question by using your calibrated setting in game mode do you use that specific setting for games, movies, and regular tv or do you find yourself making a slight change for each one? So you find the 120 hz and film mode detract from viewing?

Also what is your OPC setting it just says any
post #726 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:

Good to hear they work on other sets too. Hope they are helpful... I fine tuned just a bit after watching some more content and believe to have achieved a slight improvement by going down on red and green gain just a bit further. Below are the latest settings (changes in bold), which I believe I will not need to tweak any more, as the PQ is really great now. Cheers...

AV MODE: GAME
OPC: Off
Backlight: STD
Contrast: +30
Brightness: +2
Color: -2
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: -3
Y: -2
G: +4
C: -5
B: -12
M: +3

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: -14
G: -24
C: 0
B: -12
M: -11

C.M.S. -Value
R: -4
Y: 0
G: -2
B: +3
M: +3

Color Temp: Low
R Gain (LO): 0
G Gain (LO): +3
B Gain (LO): -7
R Gain (HI): -5
G Gain (HI): 0
B Gain (HI): -6

Motion Enhancement: [grayed out]
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: +1
Black Level: [grayed out]
Film Mode: [grayed out]
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: [any]

Z-Mad,

I tried your settings last night and it's definitely the best picture I've seen so far on my 70" 640u, thanks !!!

mathlal
post #727 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 AM

Anybody have a surround sound system they can recommend for this TV ?
post #728 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJT View Post

Are you looking for simplified 2.1 or a full blown 5.1 and up?

If you want a sound bar in 200 range check out Vizio M series

If you are looking for a satellite speaker simplified home theatre check out Bose Cinemate Series ii

I ended up going with the Bose...now my objective was just simplified home theater, if wiring and bulk is not an issue possibly consider a Harman Kardon HKTS 20 or HKTS 30
post #729 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:

Thanks

I personally do not see a need to make any adjustments to my settings regardless of what I am doing: watching movies, sports, or playing xbox 360, as all of it looks great. Well calibrated picture with accurate colors, good contrasts etc. is at least for me personally the best way to enjoy any content on my TV, so I do not change the settings. Some people may have their personal preferences for different picture attributes for gaming vs. movies, etc. (or may have to use slightly different settings if their sources vary greatly in PQ) , but I personally don't see a need to change the settings. Of course at the end of the day, you will find what works the best for you smile.gif

I really hate the motion enhancement feature, as it looks so unnatural, and all content looks like you are watching a cheap soap opera (hence the "soap opera effect" or SOE term for it). Most enthusiasts and professionals agree and will usually turn off any motion enhancement feature on any TV, or set it on very low if the TV has that fine of adjustability. The 640U seems to be a bit unique in the fact that even if you turn off the motion enhancement in the menu settings, some level of not so smooth SOE is still noticeable regardless, which is quite disturbing. Luckily there is the game mode, which is the only mode where no SOE is noticeable (as they apparently had to turn it off completely to make the TV usable for gaming). This makes the game mode basically the only "usable" mode for me personally for any content, and from what I read in this thread many others see it the same way. And since I don't change my settings between contents anyway, this works just fine for me...

I hope this is helpful and good luck again biggrin.gif
leroy lee likes this.
post #730 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Also what is your OPC setting it just says any

"Any" means it doesn't matter which setting you choose here, it will not affect the picture quality. So I'd say just leave that setting at whatever it is...
post #731 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlal View Post

Z-Mad,

I tried your settings last night and it's definitely the best picture I've seen so far on my 70" 640u, thanks !!!

mathlal

Certainly glad to hear it smile.gif Sometimes the settings do transfer well enough, which is the reason I posted mine in case they might help a few people enjoy their TV and discover a much better picture than the usual factory presets that are quite inaccurate... Enjoy biggrin.gif
post #732 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM

Guys,
Anyone considering the 70" 640 may want to check their local Wal-Mart before buying anywhere else. I just happened to walk by the TV aisle yesterday and they have it on sale for $1598. I've seen the 600 for that price in several places last week, but I took a closer look and it WAS INDEED the 640 for that price, with the Smart features. Wal-Mart's website shows it at $2299 but the local store did for sure have it for $1598. I just bought the 70" Vizio last week or I'd been all over it. I still thought about it but I really don't wanna fool with unmounting the Vizio, boxing up, returning to Best Buy, ahh to heck with it. I'm happy with the Vizio anyways.
post #733 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:

I happen to use the Sony HT-CT150 soundbar: great connectivity with 3 HDMI's, passes through 3D signal as well (even tho there is no 3D on the 640U TV), and really great sound quality for a great price. Works great if you are looking for a sound bar solution and not looking to break the bank. Of course, if you want to go with a full surround speaker system and a receiver, then you may want to check some reviews on CNET for example...

Here is the CNET's review of the Sony sound bar: http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-systems/sony-ht-ct150/4505-6740_7-34073592.html
post #734 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 PM

Just got mine in today, what's the easiest/safest way to get it out of the box?
post #735 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlocksRock View Post

Just got mine in today, what's the easiest/safest way to get it out of the box?

Lift up the top part of the box, take out the stand/base and set it on the floor, then lift the TV out of the box and set it onto the stand, tighten the screws, then lift the TV (now with its stand) and set it where you need it... (of course assuming you are not mounting it)

Although no one really likes to do this, just check the manual wink.gif
post #736 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I personally do not see a need to make any adjustments to my settings regardless of what I am doing: watching movies, sports, or playing xbox 360, as all of it looks great. Well calibrated picture with accurate colors, good contrasts etc. is at least for me personally the best way to enjoy any content on my TV, so I do not change the settings. Some people may have their personal preferences for different picture attributes for gaming vs. movies, etc. (or may have to use slightly different settings if their sources vary greatly in PQ) , but I personally don't see a need to change the settings. Of course at the end of the day, you will find what works the best for you smile.gif

I really hate the motion enhancement feature, as it looks so unnatural, and all content looks like you are watching a cheap soap opera (hence the "soap opera effect" or SOE term for it). Most enthusiasts and professionals agree and will usually turn off any motion enhancement feature on any TV, or set it on very low if the TV has that fine of adjustability. The 640U seems to be a bit unique in the fact that even if you turn off the motion enhancement in the menu settings, some level of not so smooth SOE is still noticeable regardless, which is quite disturbing. Luckily there is the game mode, which is the only mode where no SOE is noticeable (as they apparently had to turn it off completely to make the TV usable for gaming). This makes the game mode basically the only "usable" mode for me personally for any content, and from what I read in this thread many others see it the same way. And since I don't change my settings between contents anyway, this works just fine for me...

I hope this is helpful and good luck again biggrin.gif

I just adjusted the settings per your calibration specs and I will say the picture looks "crisper" but it's seems slightly on the dim side, perhaps this is jut because I'm used to the bright dynamic setting
post #737 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Lift up the top part of the box, take out the stand/base and set it on the floor, then lift the TV out of the box and set it onto the stand, tighten the screws, then lift the TV (now with its stand) and set it where you need it... (of course assuming you are not mounting it)

Although no one really likes to do this, just check the manual wink.gif
I did check the manual, just wanted to make sure I was doing it right. Didn't know if it would be easier to just slice the cardboard box away from the tv, instead of lifting the tv out.
post #738 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:

I just adjusted the settings per your calibration specs and I will say the picture looks "crisper" but it's seems slightly on the dim side, perhaps this is jut because I'm used to the bright dynamic setting

Yes, I am not surprised by your observation, as the calibrated settings will normally not be so "super bright" like a dynamic setting or the "in-store" setting that are made for shining like a "torch" and grabbing attention, but these are not even healthy for your screen. Calibrated settings concentrate on the right amount of light, contrast, shadow detail, accurate colors, while certainly having enough "pop". So if you are used to watching the dynamic mode, your initial reaction is rather expected...

Try watching it for a bit and see if you notice the details, accurate colors and skin tones, etc, and if you are really missing any brightness. And if you are simply a fan of a very bright picture, maybe you will be happier with slightly different settings. There are always some personal preferences smile.gif You might want to try bumping up the back-light setting by a few points to get more of that light/brightness. Feel free to tweak and see if you find the "magic" picture that works for you...

Good luck biggrin.gif
post #739 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:

I just bought Onkyo TXNR414 5.1 suround amp. It has auto and manual lip sync adjustment which I needed. I have a 5.1 speaker system.
post #740 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post

How well does this model play media? If I plug in a USB portable hard drive with MKV and MP4 videos on it, can it navigate and play them?

Have a similar question. I watch All-Access streaming for my Tiger games that are not televised. Horrible feed but better than nothing. Stream to tv from a good laptop with HDMI connection; very good ISP provider and modem is by tv. Have everything going thru ARC HDMI to tv from Sony 520 reciever; is there any particular input i should use on reciever? It has PC and all the usual inputs. Sound quality has not been great when i tried to run it directly to tv and bypassing receiver.

Memphis Home Builder
post #741 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Sure, thanks for your feedback. Between different sets and personal preferences, I'm glad if these or the previous settings were helpful... Cheers biggrin.gif

Z-mad can you post the settings that is referenced here, are these your current or earlier? I'm tinkering with mine now
post #742 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Z-mad can you post the settings that is referenced here, are these your current or earlier? I'm tinkering with mine now

I believe you do have my latest settings, which I find have given me the most accurate colors, although I did go through a couple of sets of settings to arrive at those. The ones mathlal mentioned above are the previous ones. What I would suggest is to try the settings below (my current ones) and for extra brightness adjust "Backlight" to maybe +8 and "Contrast" to say +32. This should get you closer to the bright picture you are used to while retaining accurate colors etc.You could theoretically go even a bit higher on backlight or contrast if it suits your preference, but I wouldn't really recommend it. But backlight and contrast are the only 2 settings you should play with to bump up the brightness of your picture to your liking (Do not actually change the "Brightness" setting itself, which you'll notice is actually -1 even in the dynamic mode). So here are my recommendations with extra brightness options in brackets for anyone who prefers brighter picture (and of course assuming the overall settings translate well onto your set). I hope this is further helpful:

Backlight: STD (+8 for those preferring extra brightness)
Contrast: +30 (+32 for those preferring extra brightness)
Brightness: 0
Color: +2
Sharpness: +1

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: -6
G: -9
C: -13
B: -16
M: +10

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: -15
Y: -6
G: -18
B: -9
M: -6

C.M.S. -Value
G: +10
B: +12
M: -2

Gamma Adjustment: +2
post #743 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:

I believe you do have my latest settings, which I find have given me the most accurate colors, although I did go through a couple of sets of settings to arrive at those. The ones mathlal mentioned above are the previous ones. What I would suggest is to try the settings below (my current ones) and for extra brightness adjust "Backlight" to maybe +8 and "Contrast" to say +32. This should get you closer to the bright picture you are used to while retaining accurate colors etc.You could theoretically go even a bit higher on backlight or contrast if it suits your preference, but I wouldn't really recommend it. But backlight and contrast are the only 2 settings you should play with to bump up the brightness of your picture to your liking (Do not actually change the "Brightness" setting itself, which you'll notice is actually -1 even in the dynamic mode). So here are my recommendations with extra brightness options in brackets for anyone who prefers brighter picture (and of course assuming the overall settings translate well onto your set). I hope this is further helpful:

Backlight: STD (+8 for those preferring extra brightness)
Contrast: +30 (+32 for those preferring extra brightness)
Brightness: 0
Color: +2
Sharpness: +1

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: -6
G: -9
C: -13
B: -16
M: +10

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: -15
G: -18
B: -9
M: -6

C.M.S. -Value
G: +10
B: +12
M: -2

Gamma Adjustment: +2
Perfect, this looks great thanks again!!
post #744 of 1369 Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:

Perfect, this looks great thanks again!!

No worries, glad if I was able to be of any help smile.gif
post #745 of 1369 Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 AM

I know this has been a very debated topic (Sharp LE640u being able to output Dolby digital 5.1 to external equipment through the optical cable digital out of tv).. so I wanted to post my discussion with a Sharp Associate.

Sharp: The AQUOS television is not designed to pass digital audio from an HDMI connected device through to the digital optical port

Sharp: The television does not have a digital audio decoder to process the audio

Me: then why is there an option to change input terminal setting from PCM to Dolby Digital?

Sharp: The Dolby digital feature in the menu is a simulated Dolby Digital effect. The television is not capable of outputting Dolby digital. HDMI(ARC) is the only option for the television to output Dolby Digital

Sharp: Or if you are connecting directly to the television tuner via coax then the unit will output in Dolby digital.

Sharp: The television can not be used as a pass-through

Me: but page 30 of manual states“ You can output digital audio to an AV amplifi er or similar device whose DIGITAL AUDIO INPUT terminal is connected to the DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT terminal on the TV. Please select an audio output format compatible with the audio format of the program you are watching and the equipment connected. PCM: The optical output terminal outputs audio signal in PCM form. If your digital audio system does not support Dolby Digital, select "PCM". Dolby Digital: The optical output terminal outputs audio signal in Dolby Digital form. It reproduces sound from surround program of digital.”

Sharp: The television will not pass audio from an HDMI connected device through to the digital optical port. None of our AQUOS units are designed to do this. Sharp's way of addressing this is to offer HDMI(ARC) or you will need to connect the external audio directly to your source devices to achieve the advanced audio formats

Sharp: The television will only output PCM

Me: ok, with regard to my cable box, I have the coax connected to my Motorola cable box and my cable box connected to the ARC via HDMI will that pass through Dolby digital ?

Sharp: Yes, as long as the cable box supports ARC and you are using a 1.4v HDMI cable

Sharp: You must be connected to the television HDMI 1 port
post #746 of 1369 Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 AM

Thanks for sharing. Anyone have the Samsung E450 sound bar? How do you connect it so that it turns on and off with the TV? Is digital audio out better or HDMI ARC?
post #747 of 1369 Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 PM

Just discovered this site while searching for setting for my newly purchased 640u. Thanks for all the helpful posts!

Have you already bought your E450?

I have a D450 and it's awful. So much distortion at anything above volume 20. Samsung's warranty service on it has been atrocious too. It sounds like there's something loose rattling inside it. Sent it in twice and they sent it back both times saying there's nothing wrong.
post #748 of 1369 Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 PM

So I joined the LC-70LE640U club a few days ago, and finally got it setup. The picture looks pretty sweet with Z-mad's settings a few posts above , however I hooked up my laptop with a dead pixel locator and noticed > 30 pixels (scattered around, mostly in the bottom left corner) that appear brighter when solid images are displayed (not really noticeable during normal use)

I've had my share of dead pixels/stuck pixels/clouding, but I've never seen this before. Will it go away with use? Is there a burn-in I can do that will minimize the appearance?
post #749 of 1369 Old 02-06-2013, 09:46 PM

Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a LC-70LE640U so far I am pretty happy with the tv but 2 things are bugging me. The first being a quarter inch black line across the top of the screen where there is no picture. This line is present under all view modes and inputs. I find it strange because the bottom of the screen has picture all the way to below the bezel. Does any one else have the black line? is it normal?
My second issue is what I would call pixelization where it looks blocky on certain scenes, usually it is real quick but noticable. I am mostly watching cable tv so far and like the standard motion enhancement. Do I have a defective tv? Thanks
post #750 of 1369 Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefwigms View Post

So I joined the LC-70LE640U club a few days ago, and finally got it setup. The picture looks pretty sweet with Z-mad's settings a few posts above , however I hooked up my laptop with a dead pixel locator and noticed > 30 pixels (scattered around, mostly in the bottom left corner) that appear brighter when solid images are displayed (not really noticeable during normal use)

I've had my share of dead pixels/stuck pixels/clouding, but I've never seen this before. Will it go away with use? Is there a burn-in I can do that will minimize the appearance?

Hmm, can't say that I've seen several "questionable" pixels spread out like that on any TV I've had so far... Certainly haven't noticed any on my 640U. Not sure if what you are showing are dead or just stuck pixels.There are some tools you can run off of your computer that will flash different color squares in different sizes and frequencies (can't think of the name, but I think I have it somewhere and will let you know once I find it). Or just running white noise can help in some cases too, as it adjutates the pixels fast and can help get them "unstuck". Either way, if this is how it looks out of the box, I'd just return the set and get a new one! I believe 5 pixels or more is grounds for replacement, especially if you have a protection plan for the TV (like Best Buy's black tie for example). Anyway, I'd demand a new set from wherever you bought it, especially if running any of the tools doesn't help right away...

Good luck...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le640u 60 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page