Official 2012 Sharp LC-XXLE640U/XXC6400U - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1375 Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I should be more clear, I own a LC70LE640U. The top of the screen has a quarter inch that has no pixels, Is this normal? The bottom of the screens pixels go into the bezel. It seems a little off balance to me. This is present in all av modes and view modes besides there are no pixels to fill in the screen anyway. I just want to know if my screen has an issue that I should correct while I still have time to return it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1375 Old 02-12-2013, 07:54 PM

Liked: 11
I sprung for the Disney WOW blu ray today so I can calibrate my 60 inch 640U to some reference.

The slight clouding I see in black only bothers me at night with the room dark, like during white on black end credits. I never see it in program. If it's common I can probably live with it. Or if not, I'll be looking for a plasma I guess to replace.

Dusty619, maybe go back into a a couple of retail stores and see if any sets like yours has that no pixel area. As I've posted earlier, my 60 inch has 1/8 inch black screen on all four sides of the image that I don't notice 10 feet away. But not what you're describing.
post #813 of 1375 Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy lee View Post

No sync issues here with my onkyo receiver. I use the lip sync feature and it works really well. How old is your receiver?

My Sony str-dn1000 is just a little older than 2 years old.......just before the really big screens came out, I believe. So, I guess I will need to get a receiver that has the lip sync adjustment capabilities.
post #814 of 1375 Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamfield42 View Post

My Sony str-dn1000 is just a little older than 2 years old.......just before the really big screens came out, I believe. So, I guess I will need to get a receiver that has the lip sync adjustment capabilities.
Aren't lip sync features built into the new "High Speed" (prevously 1.4) HDMI's?
post #815 of 1375 Old 02-13-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgregg99 View Post

Aren't lip sync features built into the new "High Speed" (prevously 1.4) HDMI's?

Maybe I have older hdmi cables. I will replace them both (not knowing how to check them.) Thank you very much. That is exactly why I love this forum.
post #816 of 1375 Old 02-13-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgregg99 View Post

lip sync is supported in 1.3 cables.

1.4 supports audio return channel (arc)'. Whether it works is up to your devices but obviously if you don't have a cable that supports that feature, it won't work.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx
post #817 of 1375 Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haqattaq View Post

lip sync is supported in 1.3 cables.

1.4 supports audio return channel (arc)'. Whether it works is up to your devices but obviously if you don't have a cable that supports that feature, it won't work.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

My receiver doesn't have ARC, so would upgrading the cables do anything at all?
post #818 of 1375 Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 AM

I went with Onkyo TX NR414 because I have a 5.1 set up. It has auto lip sync and adjustable sync. Took care of the problem and actually sounds better than my 2001 Sony surround amp.

Amazon has it for $200 so nice price as well.
post #819 of 1375 Old 02-13-2013, 03:39 PM

Here'
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRemy View Post

I purchased and returned the 6400U twice now due to some bad clouding. On both sets there was a large cloud that was bowtie shaped on the left side of the screen, almost where the HDMI inputs are located. I am trying to decide if I should go back and get another Sharp (they only have the 640U now, but I turned all the motion enhancements off so the lack of the 240 is not an issue) or get a Samsung UN60EH6050F which is backlit (or so I have been told) and may have less clouding issues. They are about the same price (1000 for the Sharp and around 1100 for the Samsung). After using the settings in this thread I really liked the picture quality on the Sharp, but the clouding drove me nuts, is the clouding a common problem with the Sharp and if so is the Samsung a better alternative? Thanks for any help.

Here's a good article about clouding from CNET:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20088479-1/is-lcd-and-led-lcd-hdtv-uniformity-a-problem/
post #820 of 1375 Old 02-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee zee View Post

Here'
Here's a good article about clouding from CNET:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20088479-1/is-lcd-and-led-lcd-hdtv-uniformity-a-problem/

Yep, the LED technology simply isn't perfect and some traces of uniformity issues will apparently always be there (as of the current technology), though some TV's do a better job than others. I actually don't notice it much on my 640U, maybe partially due to the settings too.

CNET is a good place to compare between models too, if you are considering different ones. They'll usually have a good detailed review of just about every model and allow you to compare various aspects, including screen uniformity, color accuracy, black levels, etc. This may help you decide between a Sharp and a Samsung model, etc... Good luck...
post #821 of 1375 Old 02-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I tried Z-mad's settings and found the colors very gray or washed out. I believe it has much to do with the saturation levels being turned down quite a bit actually.

Perhaps there are some models with different parts/panels that cause the big change.

By the way, purely out of curiosity, did the colors come out accurate in terms of tones, but just lacked luminance on your set (or anyone who had a similar experienced with "washed out" looking colors)? Just wondering if the luminance level is what seems to vary between builds (which could potentially be corrected by just bumping up the "color" setting higher), or if the color tones vary a lot as well. Anyway, just wondering... Thanks smile.gif
post #822 of 1375 Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:

I tried Z-mad's settings and found the colors very gray or washed out. I believe it has much to do with the saturation levels being turned down quite a bit actually.

Perhaps there are some models with different parts/panels that cause the big change.

I had the same results with washed-out colors; I think there must be a difference in hardware or in the color settings in firmware on the sets, but no idea how to determine what or why...
post #823 of 1375 Old 02-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklee View Post

I had the same results with washed-out colors; I think there must be a difference in hardware or in the color settings in firmware on the sets, but no idea how to determine what or why...

Yeah, I'm suspecting the native luminance difference between those builds, which would probably be in the service mode settings/firmware, since there is a trend of the same settings coming out nicely on some sets and then washed out on others. Not that it matters since every set needs its proper tweaks to optimize PQ, but was just curious. Thanks for the feedback...
post #824 of 1375 Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 PM

I did a calibration based on the Disney WOW blu ray today using the recommended Movie settings. The color bars were perfect but the screen just looked a bit dark compared to my CNET settings using USER 1. The bars were off on the CNET settings but the image looked better to my eyes. I wonder if the various av modes have built in settings that are not adjustable. The WOW disc doesn't get into advance settings that the 640u has.

Other things apparent with the WOW calibration tools . My 640u has perfect screen sharpness and the frame is perfectly registered in the frame with no overscan using dot by dot view mode.
post #825 of 1375 Old 02-15-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee zee View Post

I did a calibration based on the Disney WOW blu ray today using the recommended Movie settings. The color bars were perfect but the screen just looked a bit dark compared to my CNET settings using USER 1. The bars were off on the CNET settings but the image looked better to my eyes. I wonder if the various av modes have built in settings that are not adjustable. The WOW disc doesn't get into advance settings that the 640u has.

Other things apparent with the WOW calibration tools . My 640u has perfect screen sharpness and the frame is perfectly registered in the frame with no overscan using dot by dot view mode.

I would recommend using WOW to calibrate in the user settings, making sure ALL of the video processing (including OPC) settings are set to off.
post #826 of 1375 Old 02-15-2013, 06:03 AM

Is there a way to create a USER 2 or USER 3 in USER mode?
post #827 of 1375 Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty619 View Post

I should be more clear, I own a LC70LE640U. The top of the screen has a quarter inch that has no pixels, Is this normal? The bottom of the screens pixels go into the bezel. It seems a little off balance to me. This is present in all av modes and view modes besides there are no pixels to fill in the screen anyway. I just want to know if my screen has an issue that I should correct while I still have time to return it.
my 847 is exactly like that....

Waiting For Neural Implants.
post #828 of 1375 Old 02-16-2013, 02:58 AM

Can someone with the 70" try this for me? (Does it affect 60"? I dunno)

Turn off all your lights and turn on your TV. Have it set to show a blank no signal screen -- the display should be dimly glowing. Walk right up in front of the display and look towards 2/3rds of the way down. Best if you could stand near one side and look at the display at an angle, while at the same time standing up and looking down from the top. Do you see any shadowy blemishes (circles) on your display? It's weird... I see 2 of them -- one of the left and one on the right -- they seem to be equidistant from the edges of the screen and about the same height.

On regular content, the dark blemishes are sometimes visible. Is anyone else seeing this?

EDIT:
Here's what I captured with my camera. I had to set for high exposure time and fiddled with brightness/exposure in photo editor so the spots are more visible

post #829 of 1375 Old 02-17-2013, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I don't have any dark ones on mine, but I do have a very small circle that you can only notice when there are bright colors and only if you look for it. No one has ever noticed it and its placed in the same area as the one you have on the right. Doesn't bother me considering that I have very very minimal clouding on my set, rarely ever noticed, and didn't want to risk getting one with clouding issues by returning it so I learned to live with it.
post #830 of 1375 Old 02-17-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

I don't have any dark ones on mine, but I do have a very small circle that you can only notice when there are bright colors and only if you look for it. No one has ever noticed it and its placed in the same area as the one you have on the right. Doesn't bother me considering that I have very very minimal clouding on my set, rarely ever noticed, and didn't want to risk getting one with clouding issues by returning it so I learned to live with it.

Yes it's not as dark as the photo suggests. They are faint but under the right lighting conditions (e.g. PS3 background color) the spots do appear. I wasn't sure if I was getting a bad batch or if this is norm for all LE640Cs. This is actually my second set. My first set also had a dark circle -- which appeared in the same position as the left circle in the photo. Thinking I had a bad set I swapped it for a 2nd one and now the circle on the right is more visible than the left.

The plus side to the swap is that I had some noticeable clouding in the bottom right corner with my 1st set, but not so much with the 2nd
post #831 of 1375 Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 PM

Liked: 19
I have a few days left on my return period and was about to have best buy do the calibration. Tonight I was watching tv I'm the dark and noticed this clouding. I'm trying to determine if every tv will have this issue or if this is considered acceptable. If there is a picture on the screen it is not that noticeable. On a black screen it looks lousy. [IMG]

post #832 of 1375 Old 02-17-2013, 11:29 PM

I've read through several pages here with no response, so I'll just ask... did someone figure out how to get the Netflix app to work properly? It has gotten better over time, but still not as good as the Netflix app on ANY other connected device I own. It no longer makes me enter my password every time I try to go into the app, but I have two major problems (I don't care about 5.1 sound on this):

1) I frequently start a show on Netflix, the progress bar goes to about 25% and stops. I have to exit the app and come back in - sometimes once, most of the time several times - to get it to load a show (I use Netflix almost exclusively for TV series, never movies).
2) Many, many times I have sync issues between the sound and video. I can go into another room with either of my connected Blu Ray players and the same show will work just fine.

Has anyone found a fix for these issues? I've considered running a network cable to the TV (currently use wifi), but this is a huge hassle to run the cable and hide it properly if I'm not sure it will make any difference. Maybe there's a setting or something I can change that will help? Thanks in advance.
post #833 of 1375 Old 02-17-2013, 11:49 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27HoursLater View Post

I've read through several pages here with no response, so I'll just ask... did someone figure out how to get the Netflix app to work properly? It has gotten better over time, but still not as good as the Netflix app on ANY other connected device I own. It no longer makes me enter my password every time I try to go into the app, but I have two major problems (I don't care about 5.1 sound on this):

1) I frequently start a show on Netflix, the progress bar goes to about 25% and stops. I have to exit the app and come back in - sometimes once, most of the time several times - to get it to load a show (I use Netflix almost exclusively for TV series, never movies).
2) Many, many times I have sync issues between the sound and video. I can go into another room with either of my connected Blu Ray players and the same show will work just fine.

Has anyone found a fix for these issues? I've considered running a network cable to the TV (currently use wifi), but this is a huge hassle to run the cable and hide it properly if I'm not sure it will make any difference. Maybe there's a setting or something I can change that will help? Thanks in advance.

I've had the same connection issue with regards to netflix, half load then just stop have to exit out and restart again, once it gets going im usually good. Would like to know if anyone has a fix also
post #834 of 1375 Old 02-18-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBoston123 View Post

I have a few days left on my return period and was about to have best buy do the calibration. Tonight I was watching tv I'm the dark and noticed this clouding. I'm trying to determine if every tv will have this issue or if this is considered acceptable. If there is a picture on the screen it is not that noticeable. On a black screen it looks lousy. [IMG]

How does it look when you look at the TV head on? if you look at the TV at side angles, it will take on a brighter glow (probably due to the way the light is being diffused) so it's not necessarily a fair way of evaluating if you have bad cloudiness. My 1st set had cloudiness in the bottom right corner.. not terrible but noticeable when the screen was black. My 2nd set seems to be better... little to no clouding at all.

Also, have you checked your display settings like backlight/brightness/contrast? You could calibrate the TV yourself if you burned yourself some test patterns like the ones here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

Or use settings that some users have already posted a few pages back
post #835 of 1375 Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27HoursLater View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8ter2 View Post

I've had the same connection issue with regards to netflix, half load then just stop have to exit out and restart again, once it gets going im usually good. Would like to know if anyone has a fix also

Hate to jump on the band wagon but , I also have the same problem loading netflix but, I must say overall I'm very impressed with the P.Q..on this Sharp! I too would be interested to find a fix for Netflix.
post #836 of 1375 Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 PM

Liked: 16
I will say the last 2 days my Netflix connectivity on the T.V is working better, no rhyme or reason why it just is better then couple weeks ago when first purchased the set, other then that love this T.V
post #837 of 1375 Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8ter2 View Post

I will say the last 2 days my Netflix connectivity on the T.V is working better, no rhyme or reason why it just is better then couple weeks ago when first purchased the set, other then that love this T.V

Not sure if there is a specific fix to the Netflix issue, but in general, TV's are not driven by as powerful processors for running apps as most other devices are, especially if you have an xbox or ps3. So there might be a variety of reasons combined: quality of connection, wifi performance of the TV, processing power. If you have any other device to run netflix off of, I'd suggest using it, which will also give you access to all AV modes and potential for better PQ, etc. TV's app is probably the worst performing option for netflix in general, and just about any other device is likely to handle it better IMO... I personally have my PC as well as my xbox connected, outperforming any of the TV apps by far... Personally, I sure wouldn't buy the TV for its apps but for size and picture quality... Just food for thought... Hope you all find a solution to your problem smile.gif
post #838 of 1375 Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 PM

I agree on using something else for Netflix. I tested it out and got the PQ to match what I have set elsewhere but the sound sync was a tad off so I just went back to watching it through my xbox 360.

Everything else I love. The picture quality is great on everything thanks to Z-Mad's settings and I love the USB input. I had a Phillips dvd player that I used for years that played AVI's via USB 2.0 connection. Now I have a TV that can play AVI, MP4, WMV etc.
post #839 of 1375 Old 02-19-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBoston123 View Post

My set has minor clouding only noticeable at night with all lights off and a mostly black screen like end credits. Since I got my 60 inch 640u on jan. 28 2013 I've read clouding of some sort is common in all LED sets. My picture looks so good otherwise I'm just going to live with it.

post #840 of 1375 Old 02-19-2013, 08:50 PM

Help!

I've been looking high and low and still can't seem to find an answer on this. I just bought a Sharp LC-60le640u and I'm almost completely happy with it aside from one insanely brutal detail: I have horrible lag when playing games on my PS3 (especially when playing GTA 3). By lag, I'm referring to the delay between the time between me doing something on the ps3 remote and it actually happening on screen. Is anyone else experiencing this? Can it be fixed???

Here's a few relevant details:

1. I have tried "Game" mode-- it doesn't really help. I've really noticed varying amounts of lag in the different A/V modes and I've got it somewhat reduced in USER mode (see settings at bottom), but it is still too much to be able to play games like GTA, CoD, etc...

2. I am using the same HDMI cable that I had for my previous TV, an LG 42" LCD unit (model unknown, bought 5 years ago). As you might expect, I never had any problems like this on my old TV.

3. My PS3 is a "fat" console, bought 7 years ago or so

Here are the settings I'm currently using. I'm down to only producing 1/2 second of lag (which in gaming is pretty horrible still.)
OPC Off
Blacklight +15
Contrast +36
Brightness -15
Color -1
Tint +3
Sharpness -1
Digital Noise Reduction Off
Monochrome Off
ADVANCE SETTINGS
Color Gamut Range Expanded
Motion Enhancement Off
Active Contrast Off
Gamma +1
Black Level n/a
Film Mode Off
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le640u 60 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page