Official 2012 Sharp LC-XXLE640U/XXC6400U - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1357 Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We've only had the set up for a few days, but here are some initial thoughts:

1) The SOE is absolutely atrocious. I had to turn it off immediately, but that helped.

2) The general picture quality is fine. I'm not a super TV fanatic that needs perfect color reproduction or anything like that, I just want the picture to look relatively good. I have no doubt that it will look even better when I get in to put in some of the above-suggested calibration settings.

3) This TV handles motion worse than any TV I've spent any meaningful time looking at. It's unacceptable for a TV that lists itself as 120Hz. Any motion makes all edges become jumbled messes. This TV was a deal, so I'm not angry with my purchase, and the quality other than motion is great, but if I bought this at retail price and COULD take it back, I would. It's that bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1357 Old 05-10-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi,
here's a link to some starting points for setting up this set:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21454402

I know that's for the 632, but there are commonalities, i.e. others were complaining about the 632's motion handling like you are with the 640.
post #63 of 1357 Old 05-10-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27HoursLater View Post

1) The SOE is absolutely atrocious. I had to turn it off immediately, but that helped.

2) The general picture quality is fine. I'm not a super TV fanatic that needs perfect color reproduction or anything like that, I just want the picture to look relatively good. I have no doubt that it will look even better when I get in to put in some of the above-suggested calibration settings.

3) This TV handles motion worse than any TV I've spent any meaningful time looking at. It's unacceptable for a TV that lists itself as 120Hz. Any motion makes all edges become jumbled messes. This TV was a deal, so I'm not angry with my purchase, and the quality other than motion is great, but if I bought this at retail price and COULD take it back, I would. It's that bad.

What is your source? Over the air, cable or satellite? What AV mode are you in? Hopefully not in Dynamic. I don't have any issues with motion blurring for my OTA source, and blu-ray looks even better. Have you called Sharp about your issue? I don't understand why you can't return this item if you are not happy with it. The return policy at Best Buy is the same for open box items as it is for something brand new.
post #64 of 1357 Old 05-10-2012, 02:00 PM

Just Got This LC60LE640U for my Office Yesturday,
Picked it up from pauls for 1299... Out the Door...
Good Deal included delivery to my front door...

Still playing with it but I definetly need to adjust the settings on the color
post #65 of 1357 Old 05-10-2012, 04:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27HoursLater View Post

You can try CNet's movie settings at this link:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...message5300479

Or I'm using the DaGamePimps settings over in this thread for game mode. I like them the best so far:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post22003582

You may have to go back a few pages to find them I think I'm using the 35 FTL setting. He just posted 50 FTL for a very bright room. Just keep in mind these setting are for the 632 model but they work well for my 640.

I've watched quite a bit of different sports on mine already and I can't say as I agree with your post I don't have any motion problems. Maybe you got a bad set? Out of the box the thing is just terrible. But once it's dialed in it works great for the price.

Good luck,

Bill
post #66 of 1357 Old 05-12-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

Note: a quick read of the manual for the 640/6400, shows motion enhancement cannot be turned off for the 640 but can for the 6400. It can also be turned off in the 745 (3D version of this 2012 model). I'll be buying in the next couple of weeks and have just started studying this hard....

Where did you read that? The downloadable manual states it can be turned off for the 640 and I was able to do so on one at Best Buy.

Use Motion Enhancement to view fast-action video
more clearly.
■ LC-70LE640U/LC-60LE640U/LC-52LE640U
120Hz High/120Hz Low: For obtaining a clearer image.
Off: Normal image.

■ LC-80LE633U/LC-70C6400U/LC-60C6400U/
LC-52C6400U
AquoMotion240: Turns the LED backlight on or off to
display motion picture more smoothly and clearly.
120Hz High/120Hz Low: For obtaining a clearer image.
Off: Normal image.
"Motion Enhancement" may cause image noise. If this
occurs, turn the function "Off".
When AV MODE is set to "GAME" or "PC", or PC format is
being input, "Motion Enhancement" is not available.
post #67 of 1357 Old 05-12-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You're right, my bad. I read the manual too fast.
post #68 of 1357 Old 05-16-2012, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As far as I can detect, the only differences between the 745 and 640 are:
(Note: I am comparing the 60" sets.)

1. 745 has 3D

2. 745 includes and extra speaker (sub) and has 35 watts vs 20 for the 640.
Anybody listen for real world difference between the two?

3. 745 listed as 8,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio vs 4,000,000:1 for the 640.
What can the 8 vs. 4 million be attributed to? How would this affect visuals?

Is this it? Any other differences?
Same matte screen on each? Does either have a swivel stand?

Thanks, Frank
post #69 of 1357 Old 05-16-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_K View Post

As far as I can detect, the only differences between the 745 and 640 are:
(Note: I am comparing the 60" sets.)

1. 745 has 3D

2. 745 includes and extra speaker (sub) and has 35 watts vs 20 for the 640.
Anybody listen for real world difference between the two?

3. 745 listed as 8,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio vs 4,000,000:1 for the 640.
What can the 8 vs. 4 million be attributed to? How would this affect visuals?

Is this it? Any other differences?
Same matte screen on each? Does either have a swivel stand?

Thanks, Frank

I know the 640 does not swivel. I can't imagine someone spending this kind of money and not having a surround system. So to me the speakers in either set are a total waste of time. 3D I'm uninterested in. And the dynamic contrast is mostly marketing hype. No way the screen is twice as good. The 640 is a matte screen. I haven't seen a 745.

Bill
post #70 of 1357 Old 05-24-2012, 02:46 PM

Oh hi,

So I took the plunge and bought the 70" Costco special (LC70LE6400U)
I started with the settings posted from last year's models, those seemed to get close. I found reds were still over emphasized in flesh tones. The white balance seemed a little green, so I played with that some more as well. Pretty convinced that this TV can have an excellent picture. I am replacing a 2004 Sony KDF 70xbr950, which was calibrated and still has a nice picture, but is starting to suffer from the infamous blue hazing issue.

Sadly though, I seem to have stuck pixels. I posted some pictures, I assume the blob is stuck pixels, and I'll have to return it. This TV didn't exhibit any light bleed thru when the picture is all black, so I hope the replacement will be the same.

In the picture with the stars, the blob is to the lower right of the star in the center of the picture.

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1678...0Blob?h=8c49c8

So do I dare and I try any of the snake oil about fixing stuck pixels?

Thx
post #71 of 1357 Old 05-24-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Actually some of the stuck pixel fixes do work (just depends how bad they are stuck) but I cannot tell for sure that your issue is stuck pixels from the pics (that looks odd).

Jason
post #72 of 1357 Old 05-25-2012, 01:06 PM

Oh hi,

Thanks for looking. Tomorrow I will be on the phone with Sharp, the will guide me through service mode and run some tests. Be interesting to see how that goes.

I should describe the behavior of the Blob a little better. It is only apparent when the image has 50 IRE or better Dark images show no spot, so it seems the blob does turn "off" and then at some points turn full on.

Glen
post #73 of 1357 Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Is the 70C6400 (Costco model) edge lit or full array? Costco says edge but i want to e sure. Thanks.
post #74 of 1357 Old 05-26-2012, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Is the 70C6400 (Costco model) edge lit or full array? Costco says edge but i want to e sure. Thanks.

It's edge-lit
post #75 of 1357 Old 05-27-2012, 01:23 PM

I found this reply from Sharp directly about these settings. Overall having watching film DVD/BR, having 120hz to off and Film Mode to standard makes the film look more like what you see in theaters. With very little judder, and happens less often than usual.

So for me I have it at this setting and it looks great!

"The LC60LE640U has the following settings under Motion Enhancement:
120Hz High
120Hz Low
OFF
However, when turning the Motion Enhancement to Off the default will be 60Hz. To view a 24Hz (or 24 frames per second) signal, you would need to turn Motion Enhancement to Off and then adjust the Film Mode' setting to Standard. Alternatively, you can set Film Mode to Advanced and use a 10-point adjustment slider to add additional processing for smoothness, to the image."
post #76 of 1357 Old 05-28-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodtmf View Post

Sadly though, I seem to have stuck pixels. I posted some pictures, I assume the blob is stuck pixels, and I'll have to return it. This TV didn't exhibit any light bleed thru when the picture is all black, so I hope the replacement will be the same.

In the picture with the stars, the blob is to the lower right of the star in the center of the picture.

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1678...0Blob?h=8c49c8

So do I dare and I try any of the snake oil about fixing stuck pixels?

Thx

I have one of those on mine in the lower right hand corner that is only visible over white images. I don't think its a dead pixel since it does change color depending on the background, but since I did purchase the tv for half the price from costco, to me it wasn't enough to return it. But once you see it, you can't help, but look at it all the time, but so far, no one else has noticed.
post #77 of 1357 Old 06-02-2012, 05:25 PM

Can anyone recommend some good settings? I've read this entire thread, but I'm not digging the CNET settings. They seem a bit too dark, with little 'pop'. I'm not looking for over-saturation, just a happy medium between torch mode and the CNET settings. Primary viewing content is sports via OTA or HTPC.

All in all I'm mostly happy with my 60" 6400 from Costco. A little bit of flashlighting, but the feature set is great for the price. I just need to get the picture dialed in. I'm coming from a Sony Z series...realizing now how great that unit was.
post #78 of 1357 Old 06-03-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoe36 View Post

Can anyone recommend some good settings? I've read this entire thread, but I'm not digging the CNET settings. They seem a bit too dark, with little 'pop'. I'm not looking for over-saturation, just a happy medium between torch mode and the CNET settings. Primary viewing content is sports via OTA or HTPC.

All in all I'm mostly happy with my 60" 6400 from Costco. A little bit of flashlighting, but the feature set is great for the price. I just need to get the picture dialed in. I'm coming from a Sony Z series...realizing now how great that unit was.

I'm using DaGamePimp's settings for game mode and I like them pretty well. They are for the 632 model but they seem better to me then CNet's movie mode settings for the 640, go figure. I think the ones I'm using at the moment are the 35FTL game mode. I'm not positive because I have a ton of different ones printed out. He has a lot of settings posted in the 632 thread : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1376737

Good luck,

Bill
post #79 of 1357 Old 06-03-2012, 12:22 PM

I just unboxed a 52" 640U I picked up at Best Buy. I have to play with the settings and it does need it out of the box. But I noticed one thing that deserves mentioning off the bat.

There were some serious problems with motion when I watched some channels. The screen would show stuttering when panning and have some edge problems. At first I thought it was due to the 120HZ motion levels. But as soon as I tuned off dynamic contrast, it cleared right up.

My suspicion is that the processing chip for the dynamic contrast isn't powerful enough and that causes the tv to lose frames during movies and videos with deep blacks and fast motion.

FYI the movie this showed this on clearly was Aliens in HD.

I didnt' even know there was a PS3 and sharp tv link. If there is, that's great. I'll have to try it. Thoguht I have a fat ps3 hooked up and not a slim.
post #80 of 1357 Old 06-03-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billlh View Post

I'm using DaGamePimp's settings for game mode and I like them pretty well. They are for the 632 model but they seem better to me then CNet's movie mode settings for the 640, go figure. I think the ones I'm using at the moment are the 35FTL game mode. I'm not positive because I have a ton of different ones printed out. He has a lot of settings posted in the 632 thread : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1376737

Good luck,

Bill

Thanks -- I'll give those settings a shot. I also like to print them off, it is nice to have a starting place.
post #81 of 1357 Old 06-08-2012, 07:03 PM

I have a Vizio soundbar and am trying to connect it to the LC-60LE640U using an optical cord. The connection on the TV does not fit right. Has anyone else had this issue? I am thinking that my connection may be defective. Any help would be great! Thanks!
post #82 of 1357 Old 06-09-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Alberts View Post

I have a Vizio soundbar and am trying to connect it to the LC-60LE640U using an optical cord. The connection on the TV does not fit right. Has anyone else had this issue? I am thinking that my connection may be defective. Any help would be great! Thanks!
If you have a digital optical cable, make sure the protective end cap has been removed from the end of the cable. The tosslink connection is a standard connection between devices.
post #83 of 1357 Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Just picked up the 70C400U from Sam's...Very happy with DaGamePimp's game mode settings...

I popped in Monster's Inc and never noticed until now the veins in Mike's eye....I didn't realize they put that much detail into to...only had it two days but very happy so far....
post #84 of 1357 Old 06-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Hi All,

Well, I took the TV back to Costco as Sharp service never got back to me about my "blob" (See post 70) and bought another one. Oddly it was already 200 cheaper! But here's the thing...same blob, same place! I checked that it was not any of my sources. I can see it with PS3 and DirecTV, both have been connected to different inputs and through my preferred method through the AVR. I just checked the built-in YouTube app and found some test patterns, blob is there.

This leads me to believe it could be a manufacturing issue. Not sure what I'm going to do. The blob is only noticeable in certain conditions. I seem to notice it most when watching boring material....
I will search to see if anyone else has seen this.

Edit: adding some key words that help with search: dead pixels stuck costco 70C6400 blob
post #85 of 1357 Old 06-17-2012, 01:45 PM

Well my Samsung 46" finally went out today so i ran out to Best Buy and picked up a LC-60LE640U. I have tried dagamepimp's settings. I don't know if it is just me but all the settings seem a little dark and muddy. Is there something I am missing with this? Another thing I was watching chasing classic cars this morning and the camera was in the sun for a bit and it total washed out the whole screen.
post #86 of 1357 Old 06-17-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slc71 View Post

Well my Samsung 46" finally went out today so i ran out to Best Buy and picked up a LC-60LE640U. I have tried dagamepimp's settings. I don't know if it is just me but all the settings seem a little dark and muddy. Is there something I am missing with this? Another thing I was watching chasing classic cars this morning and the camera was in the sun for a bit and it total washed out the whole screen.

Try factory "standard" settings and dial down brightness and color to your liking. Out of the box "Standard" settings on 640 look better for me then any of the custom 632 settings posted here that I used on my currently retired 60LE632U.
post #87 of 1357 Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I bought an LC-60LE640U at Best Buy this past weekend. It's taking the place of a Toshiba Regza 55" 55ZV650U, which has been stellar for the last two years (I'm moving the Toshiba into the Rec-Room to replace an out of date rear projection JVC). I'm impressed with the small footprint this 60" HDTV makes in height, width and depth. It's only a half inch taller than the 55" Toshiba, and 1 1/4" wider.. Some of the reports I've read on this Sharp series had me prepared for lack of "pop" in the edge lit LED image, but I wasn't expecting it to be as "soft" as it's turned out to be. I've wrestled with it for the last three days trying to dial it in for the sort of pop I was getting out of the Toshiba, but have come to realize that it just isn't there.

I'm an avid golf fan so I spent a lot of time watching the U.S. Open on it while I was tweaking. While I could get an image that appears to be accurate, it just doesn't quite "wow" me as much as my 2 1/2 year old Toshiba LCD. I'm glad I read all the comments here regarding turning of the motion enhancement. The first thing I saw when I first turned the set on was Phil Mickelson hitting a tee shot off the 15th hole, which turned into two balls.... eek.gif And they call this "Motion Enhancement"!?
I turned it off and everything was fine. I sensed a little motion judder, but nothing show stopping for the price.

I tried Da-Game-Pimps settings from the 632 and honestly thought the colors were a little washed out on the 640U. I then tried the Standard settings with some drastic changes to backlight, brightness, contrast, to arrive at something that has more pop, but doesn't look as artificial as the "Dynamic" picture settings. I'll post what I've got once they are final. I'm hoping to eventually arrive at something that doesn't make me constantly think the screen is dirty. I now know what is meant by the DSE. I'm not an unsatisfied customer, I realize I've still got a lot to learn to really understand what I've got on my hands. The set is working great with my XBox 360, particularly with Tiger Woods 13. I haven't sinced any lag of note with it.

"If the amount of views was how we judged the quality of a thread, then all we would have is a bunch of trolling fanboy threads."... Kysersose
post #88 of 1357 Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 AM

I was struggling with the PQ on my 60" 6400U as well. Similar to the previous posts, I felt my outgoing Sony Z had better color accuracy and pop. After a few weeks, I'm glad to say I'm mostly happy with the unit. I settled on the CNET settings for color (CMS settings, etc) combined with many tweaks after using the AVS HD 709 calibration disc (here). I've found that using AquoMotion 240 with the Film Setting disabled works well. For whatever reason the AquoMotion 240 setting seems to have a less annoying SOE compared to the other 120hz settings. If the content still displays motion issues, I flip to game mode or disable motion smoothing altogether.
post #89 of 1357 Old 06-19-2012, 11:26 AM

Has anyone tried this TV for netflix with a surround system? I want to use the TV for netflix and antenna and I want to do 5.1 out of the optical for both. Can someone try this?
post #90 of 1357 Old 06-19-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay View Post

I tried Da-Game-Pimps settings from the 632 and honestly thought the colors were a little washed out on the 640U. I then tried the Standard settings with some drastic changes to backlight, brightness, contrast, to arrive at something that has more pop, but doesn't look as artificial as the "Dynamic" picture settings. I'll post what I've got once they are final. I'm hoping to eventually arrive at something that doesn't make me constantly think the screen is dirty. I now know what is meant by the DSE. I'm not an unsatisfied customer, I realize I've still got a lot to learn to really understand what I've got on my hands. The set is working great with my XBox 360, particularly with Tiger Woods 13. I haven't sinced any lag of note with it.

Washed out is a good term to use. Would you mind sharing the settings you are using?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le640u 60 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page