Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1369 Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

Did you try these? For me I'm getting good pop and picture on my set with these. Of course results will vary from set to set, but if you want, you can give these a shot... Good luck.

Again, these may vary from set to set...

AV MODE: STANDARD / GAME
OPC: Off
Backlight: +2
Contrast: +32
Brightness: 0
Color: +4
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +1

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: -12
Y: -2
G: -6
C: -13
B: -12
M: +10

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: -20
Y: -6
G: -22
C: 0
B: -6
M: -10

C.M.S. -Value
R: -8
Y: -3
G: +5
C: 0
B: +10
M: -2

Color Temp: Low
R Gain (LO): 0
G Gain (LO): +3
B Gain (LO): -7
R Gain (HI): -10
G Gain (HI): 0
B Gain (HI): -6

Z-mad are these your latest settings? What is your Gamma, film, 120, active contrast, DNR, and other settings in advanced set to? I notice these are slightly different than your previous I'm using. Also, how come you use temp at low?

I'm using your settings for game, silverfox settings for standard, and cnet for movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1369 Old 03-02-2013, 10:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster805 View Post

I bought an LC-70LE600U from Best Buy at the start of Feb and have observed the same problem today.

On my TV, the image is either (a) right-shifted by 4 columns (resulting in 4 black columns on the left side) or (b) not shifted, but then the right 4 columns of the screen are just duplicates of the 5th-to-last column. Either way, you can only view 1916 columns of your 1920x1080 image.

Have tried hooking up multiple PCs and DVRs and the problem is present in all cases when running dot-by-dot mode.

My brother also bought one of these at the same time as me and has the same issue. Sharp tech support does not seem to be aware of this issue.

Could just be a defect in this model. I don't notice it in the 640u. I returned the 600u due to inferior picture quality. If you are still within your return window, I would return it and get the 640u. Night and day difference
post #903 of 1369 Old 03-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgregg99 View Post

Z-mad are these your latest settings? What is your Gamma, film, 120, active contrast, DNR, and other settings in advanced set to? I notice these are slightly different than your previous I'm using. Also, how come you use temp at low?

I'm using your settings for game, silverfox settings for standard, and cnet for movie.

Hey oldgregg99, those are the latest settings I am currently testing and checking if there is room to improve (So far I corrected CMS hue for red to -10, and red gain (HI) to -8, as I'm still testing the settings with more and more content). I ended up with these settings because I was checking out the standard mode, since several people apparently used my game settings in standard mode too, so I was interested. Not that the old settings aren't good, but by starting in the standard mode it took me a slightly different route as I was matching up color tones, and I think these settings are looking good with even more pop. They actually end up looking a lot like CNET's picture, only without the green tint and with more pop. Film, active contrast and all that is turned off, just 120Hz is set to high. I still don't like the motion enhancement, but can use it when necessary depending on content, otherwise i still use game mode most of the time. I use low temp, because it is the most accurate for skin tones and in general. If you want, try them out and let me know the results on your set, as feedback is always helpful in noticing what I might have missed biggrin.gif
post #904 of 1369 Old 03-03-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Hey oldgregg99, those are the latest settings I am currently testing and checking if there is room to improve (So far I corrected CMS hue for red to -10, and red gain (HI) to -8, as I'm still testing the settings with more and more content). I ended up with these settings because I was checking out the standard mode, since several people apparently used my game settings in standard mode too, so I was interested. Not that the old settings aren't good, but by starting in the standard mode it took me a slightly different route as I was matching up color tones, and I think these settings are looking good with even more pop. They actually end up looking a lot like CNET's picture, only without the green tint and with more pop. Film, active contrast and all that is turned off, just 120Hz is set to high. I still don't like the motion enhancement, but can use it when necessary depending on content, otherwise i still use game mode most of the time. I use low temp, because it is the most accurate for skin tones and in general. If you want, try them out and let me know the results on your set, as feedback is always helpful in noticing what I might have missed biggrin.gif

Thanks for the clarification. I gotta say I do like your current settings a lot, there is more pop now. It seems like an uphill battle to find a balance between great PQ with pop and also without being too washed out, and I think you're close to nailing it! Thx again z-mad!
post #905 of 1369 Old 03-03-2013, 05:27 PM

Ok sooo I'm reading through the posts and I see some people have issues with the 600u compared to to the 640u but I thought they were the same just that the 600 didn't have wifi, smart tv, etc. Kinda worries me considering we're looking at the 600 for cost savings.

PSN ID: zapfrog

post #906 of 1369 Old 03-03-2013, 05:56 PM

I have the 600U and another difference between the two is the 600U doesn't have the advanced picture controls the 640 has. For a lot of people (especially people who browse this forum) that is a big deal. If I had to do it over I might have gotten the 640 but I really wanted to stay under $1000 with tax and with this TV I did that. It is WAY better than the 5 year old 47 inch TV it replaced that cost $600 more. For the price and the screen size I'm pretty happy so far. I wouldn't consider myself super picky (why does my wife laugh when I say that?) so I was able to get the picture where I wanted it. The thing that bothered me the most at first was how it didn't handle film content correctly which is mentioned in the CNET review and I almost took it back for that reason. But thanks to a post on this thread I made some adjustments with my blu ray player and now it looks fine. The 640U with it's advanced picture controls is probably the better choice. You could also wait for the new models as well. If you get a 600U just be aware that it is a basic TV with basic picture controls. Definitely do not pay over $899 for it. If you can get it for less, even better!
post #907 of 1369 Old 03-03-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMiller View Post

I have the 600U and another difference between the two is the 600U doesn't have the advanced picture controls the 640 has. For a lot of people (especially people who browse this forum) that is a big deal. If I had to do it over I might have gotten the 640 but I really wanted to stay under $1000 with tax and with this TV I did that. It is WAY better than the 5 year old 47 inch TV it replaced that cost $600 more. For the price and the screen size I'm pretty happy so far. I wouldn't consider myself super picky (why does my wife laugh when I say that?) so I was able to get the picture where I wanted it. The thing that bothered me the most at first was how it didn't handle film content correctly which is mentioned in the CNET review and I almost took it back for that reason. But thanks to a post on this thread I made some adjustments with my blu ray player and now it looks fine. The 640U with it's advanced picture controls is probably the better choice. You could also wait for the new models as well. If you get a 600U just be aware that it is a basic TV with basic picture controls. Definitely do not pay over $899 for it. If you can get it for less, even better!

Really torn on this decision. I can get the 600 for 849 but I can also get the 60" panasonic p60u54 for 749.

post #908 of 1369 Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:

Silverfox settings?
post #909 of 1369 Old 03-03-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownv View Post

Silverfox settings?

Silverfox1 settings, page 20, post #596. I use his settings for standard and z-mads new settings for game.

Here are Silverfox1 settings:

"AV Mode: Standard

Backlight : +8
Brightness: -9
Contrast: +34
Color: +1
Sharpness: +4

Color Temp: High
Motion Enhancement: OFF
Active Contrast: OFF
Film Mode: Advanced Mode +2 [ The wife likes a little SOE ]
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
OPC: OFF"
post #910 of 1369 Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogpond1 View Post

Ok sooo I'm reading through the posts and I see some people have issues with the 600u compared to to the 640u but I thought they were the same just that the 600 didn't have wifi, smart tv, etc. Kinda worries me considering we're looking at the 600 for cost savings.
I would just spend the extra $300. It is worth it in the end. This is a big investment, I wouldn't skimp out. I had the 600u, I swapped it forvtge 640u and I was glad I did. The notion blur on my Xbox was pretty BAD and on movies. I was amazed at how many more options the 640u had. 600u is pretty barebone all the way down to the cheap hotel remote
post #911 of 1369 Old 03-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy lee View Post

I would just spend the extra $300. It is worth it in the end. This is a big investment, I wouldn't skimp out. I had the 600u, I swapped it forvtge 640u and I was glad I did. The notion blur on my Xbox was pretty BAD and on movies. I was amazed at how many more options the 640u had. 600u is pretty barebone all the way down to the cheap hotel remote

I mentioned this a few times as well and couldn't agree more. I went through the same thing of having picked up a 600U first. It was so stripped down that it really didn't make sense. The cheap remote with the simplest menu that only allows the most basic settings of brightness contrast and a tint slider was a joke. I felt like I was operating a 20 years old set. It went back the next day and I got the 640U instead. A world of difference! The picture quality obtainable with 640U is so much better, it's like night and day. The difference between the 2 models is far bigger than just the lack of wifi and smart features. Picture quality is a huge difference, and I'd say that counts the most.

My personal opinion is that spending a grand on a large screen TV to get subpar picture quality is a grand thrown away. Spending just a couple of hundred more is more than worth it for the performance and picture quality you get for it. After all, how long do you plan on using the TV? Unless you change your TV every year, the value of spending the extra couple of hundred is a no-brainer if you think about the next few years you'd probably be using it.

To me this is the bottom line:
$1,000 for 600U: money thrown away
$1,300 for 640U: real value and bang for your buck
(I am guessing what the latest prices are, but I think I'm somewhat in the range)

Anyway, hope this is also helpful to some who are trying to make the decision wink.gif
post #912 of 1369 Old 03-04-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Silverfox1 settings, page 20, post #596. I use his settings for standard and z-mads new settings for game.

Here are Silverfox1 settings:

"AV Mode: Standard

Backlight : +8
Brightness: -9
Contrast: +34
Color: +1
Sharpness: +4

Color Temp: High
Motion Enhancement: OFF
Active Contrast: OFF
Film Mode: Advanced Mode +2 [ The wife likes a little SOE ]
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
OPC: OFF"

Thank you!
post #913 of 1369 Old 03-04-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:

I mentioned this a few times as well and couldn't agree more. I went through the same thing of having picked up a 600U first. It was so stripped down that it really didn't make sense. The cheap remote with the simplest menu that only allows the most basic settings of brightness contrast and a tint slider was a joke. I felt like I was operating a 20 years old set. It went back the next day and I got the 640U instead. A world of difference! The picture quality obtainable with 640U is so much better, it's like night and day. The difference between the 2 models is far bigger than just the lack of wifi and smart features. Picture quality is a huge difference, and I'd say that counts the most.

My personal opinion is that spending a grand on a large screen TV to get subpar picture quality is a grand thrown away. Spending just a couple of hundred more is more than worth it for the performance and picture quality you get for it. After all, how long do you plan on using the TV? Unless you change your TV every year, the value of spending the extra couple of hundred is a no-brainer if you think about the next few years you'd probably be using it.

(I am guessing what the latest prices are, but I think I'm somewhat in the range)

Anyway, hope this is also helpful to some who are trying to make the decision wink.gif

Yea its pretty crazy sharp would skimp that much. Makes me wonder if they skimped in other places. I hate the SOE effect but the 600u was nowhere as smooth as the 640u when it came to motion enhancement as well. But I laughed when I saw the menu, you literally had color, tint, sharpness, brightness and contrast lol. So for anyone who cares about their money, get the 640u.
post #914 of 1369 Old 03-04-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogpond1 View Post

Really torn on this decision. I can get the 600 for 849 but I can also get the 60" panasonic p60u54 for 749.

I'm assuming the Panasonic is a plasma so you'll have decide if a plasma is right for you. If you just watch movies and regular TV and your room isn't too bright, the Panasonic might be a good choice. As I and others have mentioned the 600 is a bare bones TV. You will probably get more bang for your buck with Panasonic. $849 isn't a bad price for the 600 and you could always bring it home and try it out to see if it fits your needs. Don't stress over it too much. Buying a TV today isn't like it used to be when people bought them as a 10+ year or longer investment. All the TVs being discussed on this forum today will be worthless in 5 years or less and considered "outdated" junk. The fact that you can buy any 60" HDTV for $800-900 with amazing picture quality compared to the old tube TVs is really cool. I paid that much for a 32 inch JVC in 1998 which my wife and I thought was HUGE. Whichever you get I'm sure you'll enjoy the screen size. I know I am!smile.gif
post #915 of 1369 Old 03-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm assuming the Panasonic is a plasma so you'll have decide if a plasma is right for you. If you just watch movies and regular TV and your room isn't too bright, the Panasonic might be a good choice. As I and others have mentioned the 600 is a bare bones TV. You will probably get more bang for your buck with Panasonic. $849 isn't a bad price for the 600 and you could always bring it home and try it out to see if it fits your needs. Don't stress over it too much. Buying a TV today isn't like it used to be when people bought them as a 10+ year or longer investment. All the TVs being discussed on this forum today will be worthless in 5 years or less and considered "outdated" junk. The fact that you can buy any 60" HDTV for $800-900 with amazing picture quality compared to the old tube TVs is really cool. I paid that much for a 32 inch JVC in 1998 which my wife and I thought was HUGE. Whichever you get I'm sure you'll enjoy the screen size. I know I am!smile.gif

I agree with you in general about the speed of new developments in today's technology, but I'd only add the following to consider:

The best TV ever made remains the Pioneer Kuro that hasn't been manufactured any more since 2008. So as fast as the manufacturers are coming out with new models every year, not every new model automatically means better picture and quality. There are even examples of TV's where the new models performed worse than their predecessors.

On the other hand, with an entry price point model you are probably right, but in that case why get a 600U that is already obsolete with a subpar PQ and features that resemble a 20 year old set before you even bring it home, let alone 5 years from now...

Just food for thought wink.gif
leroy lee likes this.
post #916 of 1369 Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 PM

I agree it will probably come down to the panasonic plasma or 640u OR see what comes up on sale in the next few days.

post #917 of 1369 Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm starting to see 640U numbers around $1K, and was wondering if anyone has a feel for the reliability of the vendors. Buy Squad and Fassie are < $1K and East Coast TVs and All Time TVs are just over that. I've seen reviews but was wondering if anyone here had any experience with any of these companies.

Supply seems to be drying up. Best Buy and B&H used to have this for $1099, but don't seem to have them anymore.

Someone already mentioned seeing the 600U for $849.

I'm hoping to see a review for the 650U soon. CNET reviewed the 640U in March 2012, so it would be nice to see them review the 650U in March 2013. If a 640U at $1300 is real value and bang for your buck, the 650U might be more value and bang for less buck! I'll want to see a review or two and see it in a store before passing judgement.

Does anyone have any thoughts on extended warranties? Normally, I consider them to be a sucker bet. But with what I have been reading about Sharp's precarious financial situation, it might be prudent for this one time.

-John

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett
post #918 of 1369 Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:

I agree with you in general about the speed of new developments in today's technology, but I'd only add the following to consider:

The best TV ever made remains the Pioneer Kuro that hasn't been manufactured any more since 2008. So as fast as the manufacturers are coming out with new models every year, not every new model automatically means better picture and quality. There are even examples of TV's where the new models performed worse than their predecessors.

On the other hand, with an entry price point model you are probably right, but in that case why get a 600U that is already obsolete with a subpar PQ and features that resemble a 20 year old set before you even bring it home, let alone 5 years from now...

Just food for thought wink.gif

I suppose you could call the 600U picture quality subpar but in the price range that it was I would argue it's comparable to other brands in the same price range. It also depends too on what you compare it to. Of all the TVs I watch in a week which includes my 5 year old 47" LCD, my 8 year old 27 inch tube in the bedroom, my smartphone, my 12 year old portable DVD player (which cost $500 in 2001) eek.gif, the crappy hotel TVs I watch the 2-3 days a week I'm on the road, and the Mitsubishi RPTV I watch in our employee lounge, the Sharp has by far the best picture, so there you go. All a matter of perspective I guess. Do I wish I had the 640U with the extra stuff? Maybe, but I ended up using the $200-300 towards a new dishwasher for the wife which made her happy. I kept the 600U because I got the picture where I wanted it, it has a very uniform screen and no pixels defects (yet). As a side note for those interested, I just saw the 650U/6500U at Costco today for $1149. With Costco's two year warranty and 90 day return policy that could be a great deal. Ok enough forum browsing, wife and kids are gone so I think I'll watch some TV. smile.gif
post #919 of 1369 Old 03-05-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJohnB View Post

I'm starting to see 640U numbers around $1K, and was wondering if anyone has a feel for the reliability of the vendors. Buy Squad and Fassie are < $1K and East Coast TVs and All Time TVs are just over that. I've seen reviews but was wondering if anyone here had any experience with any of these companies.

Supply seems to be drying up. Best Buy and B&H used to have this for $1199, but don't seem to have them anymore.

I'm hoping to see a review for the 650U soon. CNET reviewed the 640U in March 2012, so it would be nice to see them review the 650U in March 2013. If a 640U at $1300 is real value and bang for your buck, the 650U might be more value and bang for less buck! I'll want to see a review or two and see it in a store before passing judgement.

Does anyone have any thoughts on extended warranties? Normally, I consider them to be a sucker bet. But with what I have been reading about Sharp's precarious financial situation, it might be prudent for this one time.

-John

I ordered a 640U from Fassie and a week or so after ordering and noticing the money hadn't been taken, I called and they said the tv was back-ordered. This is after it said it was in stock on their website. They offered to cancel and I agreed. I then ordered one from All Time TVs and after a few days I called them and they told me I had to pay "insurance" on a tv that price even though it said free shipping on the check out page. It is in small print on the shipping page of their website (I finally found it.) Other than that I received it within the time promised and all was well....not damaged and delivered into my house at the agreed upon price (about $150 more than expected for insurance.) I sort of felt like it was a bait and switch deal but, it was tax free so I still saved money(not a lot) rather than buy it at Best Buy.
post #920 of 1369 Old 03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Supply seems to be drying up. Best Buy and B&H used to have this for $1199, but don't seem to have them anymore.

-John

On the 650U expectations, I'll quote myself from a few posts earlier:

"...it is indeed questionable how much improvement would be realized in the 650 over the 640. Unless they are coming out with a brand new panel that would allow measurable difference in depth of blacks, color accuracy (which is already pretty good on 640 once calibrated), I wouldn't count on actual picture quality improvements. Actually, there are examples out there of TV's that performed worse than their predecessors, so a new model isn't always automatically better. The only improvement I would hope for is the motion processing: finer adjustability of motion enhancement, smoother 120Hz processing without SOE on all levels. Also better screen uniformity would be nice. That would be at least for me personally worth waiting for... Guess we'll all have to wait to see those sets in tests before being able to say if they are or aren't better or been worth waiting for..." So it will be interesting to see CNET's review, and I share your hope that it will be soon (in March).

Re. pricing, I got mine from Best Buy and pushed them down to $1,100 (from $1,299) at the time based on advertised price from a different retailer (I think it was Dell). BB has price match guarantee and they are pretty hassle free. I did also get the extended warranty from them. Sure, it's sort of a gamble as you can't know if you will truly need it or not. But that's like a car insurance or any other insurance: if you never end up using it, you feel you didn't need it, but that one time it "saves your A$$" you think it's the best thing ever and so worth it. I got it on my Panasonic plasma too and it was worth it in my case. I ended up exchanging that set due to image burn in (which btw manufacturer wouldn't have covered) and I ended up getting an upgraded latest model (which in this case indeed was better than the predecessor). So at least in my experience it does give you a piece of mind for anything that can possibly go wrong with the TV (well beyond manufacturer's warranty) and for a good while with hassle free exchange if its anything that can't be fixed easily and quickly. It paid out big time at least in my case. So I guess it depends on how much risk you are personally willing to take with something going wrong after a year and then getting stuck with repairs, etc...
post #921 of 1369 Old 03-05-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:

JohnB ; I paid $1049.00 at HH Gregg( brick and mortar) about a month ago for the 640U. They discounted it without me even asking. I would check with them.
post #922 of 1369 Old 03-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening flyer View Post

Quote:

JohnB ; I paid $1049.00 at HH Gregg( brick and motor) about a month ago for the 640U. They discounted it without me even asking. I would check with them.

I think you bring up an important point: "brick and mortar". I know many people buy their TV from online retailers and may be happy with it, but personally I'd never go for something as big as a 60" TV from an online store. Apart from adding additional shipping step with potential for shipping damage, the convenience factor is a huge difference IMO. For example, I got the 600U first, thought it was crap, so I simply packed it up, drove to the Best Buy down the street where I bought it, and they exchanged it for me right there and then. I was home with a 640U in half an hour setting it up. Imagine that scenario with an online retailer: call them, explain, get a return authorization, ship (often at your own expense), wait for replacement, etc. Even if I paid 50 bucks more than the cheapest online price, just what I saved in shipping, insurance, etc, was already way more than that... Not that everyone will need to return or replace their TV's, but then again many do for one reason or another.
And if you don't have an HH Gregg around but a Best Buy, you can still go to BB with a print out of the advertised price from other retailers and they'll match it (they won't match every online retailer, but they did Dell.com in my case for example).
Anyway, can't beat brick and mortar and the convenience and service that comes along with it, especially on something as big as a 60" TV...
Just my 2 cents worth... biggrin.gif
post #923 of 1369 Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 PM

just ordered one from sears.com $799 for a lc-52le640u. They had it at a sears local to me, just outside of DC . I'll go pick up tomorrow. Hoping for no work with the snow "storm" coming. You need to get all the way to checkout to see the price of $799. Hope this was helpful for my first post.
post #924 of 1369 Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Hey oldgregg99, those are the latest settings I am currently testing and checking if there is room to improve (So far I corrected CMS hue for red to -10, and red gain (HI) to -8, as I'm still testing the settings with more and more content). I ended up with these settings because I was checking out the standard mode, since several people apparently used my game settings in standard mode too.

Z-Mad; Thanks for these latest settings. I used your corrected setting above along with the settings you posted on post 901. The picture looks just perfect with these settings. I had been using your settings from posts 874,882, and 899 and was quite happy with them. I was just about to give feed back to you on your previous settings, when I saw these on post 901. The few questions that I had went away with these latest settings. It seemed that flesh tones were just a little too rosy and the yellow colors seemed just a tad off. For instance, when a yellow cab would be in a scene the color looked a little too orange. Thanks for all your expertise, I could have never got the picture to look this good without all your help.
post #925 of 1369 Old 03-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening flyer View Post

Z-Mad; Thanks for these latest settings. I used your corrected setting above along with the settings you posted on post 901. The picture looks just perfect with these settings. I had been using your settings from posts 874,882, and 899 and was quite happy with them. I was just about to give feed back to you on your previous settings, when I saw these on post 901. The few questions that I had went away with these latest settings. It seemed that flesh tones were just a little too rosy and the yellow colors seemed just a tad off. For instance, when a yellow cab would be in a scene the color looked a little too orange. Thanks for all your expertise, I could have never got the picture to look this good without all your help.

Thanks for your post. I am certainly happy to hear if my settings worked out for you and provided you with a great picture. I am happy to share those at least for those cases like yours where they translate well. As I was saying in some of my earlier posts, it may be a bit steep to pay for pro calibration on a budget TV like this (good pro calibration could end up as much as 30-40+% of the TV's purchase price), but I had the opportunity to work on matching the settings of my pro-calibrated VT50 plasma with the best picture on the market today and was really happy with the result. Since I don't have the professional colorimeter, I rely on calibration patterns and content verification, which is why it has been a process of several tweaks and adjustments. These latest settings are indeed best so far, and I think I may not find much to improve any more. If I make any final tweaks, I'll let you know, but I think this is pretty much it... Hope you and others who chose to try these settings are enjoying the picture smile.gif
post #926 of 1369 Old 03-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I suppose you could call the 600U picture quality subpar but in the price range that it was I would argue it's comparable to other brands in the same price range. It also depends too on what you compare it to. Of all the TVs I watch in a week which includes my 5 year old 47" LCD, my 8 year old 27 inch tube in the bedroom, my smartphone, my 12 year old portable DVD player (which cost $500 in 2001) eek.gif, the crappy hotel TVs I watch the 2-3 days a week I'm on the road, and the Mitsubishi RPTV I watch in our employee lounge, the Sharp has by far the best picture, so there you go. All a matter of perspective I guess. Do I wish I had the 640U with the extra stuff? Maybe, but I ended up using the $200-300 towards a new dishwasher for the wife which made her happy. I kept the 600U because I got the picture where I wanted it, it has a very uniform screen and no pixels defects (yet). As a side note for those interested, I just saw the 650U/6500U at Costco today for $1149. With Costco's two year warranty and 90 day return policy that could be a great deal. Ok enough forum browsing, wife and kids are gone so I think I'll watch some TV. smile.gif

Hey NAMiller, the 600U is certainly still a newer and better TV than some of the examples you mentioned, I wouldn't doubt that, but my point was that I wouldn't want to compare my brand new large screen TV to obsolete models or hotel TV's, but to what today's home TV's are expected to provide in terms of picture quality, etc. Just beating a 5 years old set or those crappy hotel TV's wouldn't meet my personal criteria for spending a grand on a new TV today. But that's just me, so no reflection on your personal choice smile.gif Some people may agree with you and feel satisfied with the 600U and its price point (or any comparable TV at that price), so by all means, to each his own. I am a bit of a videophile myself, and picture quality is immensely important to me personally, so it is just my personal opinion that for those who are conscious of good picture quality, 600U (or any other TV in that range that is comparable to that level of performance) wouldn't be worth a grand if just a couple of hundred more can get you the true picture quality one would expect from a new TV these days. To me it is not about the "extra stuff" on the 640U either, as I also do not care much for any of the smart features, but the picture quality is what it's all about for me personally and this is where a huge difference between the 600U and 640U existst.
BTW, I'm sure keeping the wife happy with a new dishwasher helps enjoy your TV purchase too wink.gif Wise decision, so by all means enjoy your TV biggrin.gif
post #927 of 1369 Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 AM

I was all set to get the 60 inch 640u model but the last one sold at sears ( i am limited to buying a tv at Sears) last week. I was in yesterday and they had the new 650u model. I have always been a Samsung gun and was considering the 6100 model but the Sharps really popped when viewing them in store. Should I be hesitant in buying a new model such as the 650u? I have looked all over the internet for reviews but have found none. Not sure how long it takes for reviews to come out on new products but I may just pull the trigger anyways this weekend.
post #928 of 1369 Old 03-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pywackett View Post

I was all set to get the 60 inch 640u model but the last one sold at sears ( i am limited to buying a tv at Sears) last week. I was in yesterday and they had the new 650u model. I have always been a Samsung gun and was considering the 6100 model but the Sharps really popped when viewing them in store. Should I be hesitant in buying a new model such as the 650u? I have looked all over the internet for reviews but have found none. Not sure how long it takes for reviews to come out on new products but I may just pull the trigger anyways this weekend.

As I was mentioning above, I wouldn't expect much difference between 640 and 650 model. The features could possibly see some updates, like maybe added apps (which would be no big deal), or what I would hope for the most, better motion processing. This is what often happens: the manufacturers are practically forced to declare a new model each year, so they give most of the models just a "face-lift", but in reality it's often more or less the same TV. Kind of like with the cars: every year there is a "new" model, but in reality they just change the headlights slightly for a fresher look, but you are really getting the same engine and performance as the predecessor model. However, every few years, they might indeed come up with a true novelty, like a new panel with new depth of blacks, or higher contrast, redone interface and programming, etc. But this doesn't seem to be the case with the 650U...

Based on the specs on Sharp's website, following seems to be the case:

- Slight "face-lift" in the bezel and the stand, but barely noticeable
- 650U is actually cheaper (MSRP)
- Full smart central features (apps displayed over the entire screen rather than along the strip at the bottom of the screen). Potentially access to a few more apps and a web browser (surely useless as on any TV), which I find to be no big deal...
- 640 has surround sound, 650 has "simulated surround sound", I don't think either one matters as you'll need a proper sound system to get a decent sound anyway
- actually the most important difference I noticed is in the specification of the panel!
640U shows "X-Gen LCD panel" (which is on every other model too, including the most expensive one - 847U)
650U shows only "LCD panel" (the only model without the X-Gen)
This could potentially explain the lower MSRP on the new 650U.
Sharp's definition of X-Gen: "Sharp's X-Gen LCD Panel is designed with advanced pixel control to minimize light leakage and a wider aperture to let more light through, providing the industry's highest contrast level."

Since 650U has the "normal" LCD and not X-Gen, the question is if this is something noticeable in terms of contrast (although they state the same 4mil:1 for both models), potentially differences in colors, brightness level and panel uniformity. From their definition above, it would seem these aspects would be affected, and potentially negatively, unless this "normal LCD panel" somehow turns out to be better than their X-Gen panels. I'd wait for a pro-review on CNET, as they will measure all these aspects with pro equipment and state clearly any differences from 640U. I hope this doesn't turn into one of those examples I kept mentioning, where the new model performs worse than the old one. rolleyes.gif
post #929 of 1369 Old 03-08-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:

As I was mentioning above, I wouldn't expect much difference between 640 and 650 model. The features could possibly see some updates, like maybe added apps (which would be no big deal), or what I would hope for the most, better motion processing. This is what often happens: the manufacturers are practically forced to declare a new model each year, so they give most of the models just a "face-lift", but in reality it's often more or less the same TV. Kind of like with the cars: every year there is a "new" model, but in reality they just change the headlights slightly for a fresher look, but you are really getting the same engine and performance as the predecessor model. However, every few years, they might indeed come up with a true novelty, like a new panel with new depth of blacks, or higher contrast, redone interface and programming, etc. But this doesn't seem to be the case with the 650U...

Based on the specs on Sharp's website, following seems to be the case:

- Slight "face-lift" in the bezel and the stand, but barely noticeable
- 650U is actually cheaper (MSRP)
- Full smart central features (apps displayed over the entire screen rather than along the strip at the bottom of the screen). Potentially access to a few more apps and a web browser (surely useless as on any TV), which I find to be no big deal...
- 640 has surround sound, 650 has "simulated surround sound", I don't think either one matters as you'll need a proper sound system to get a decent sound anyway
- actually the most important difference I noticed is in the specification of the panel!
640U shows "X-Gen LCD panel" (which is on every other model too, including the most expensive one - 847U)
650U shows only "LCD panel" (the only model without the X-Gen)
This could potentially explain the lower MSRP on the new 650U.
Sharp's definition of X-Gen: "Sharp's X-Gen LCD Panel is designed with advanced pixel control to minimize light leakage and a wider aperture to let more light through, providing the industry's highest contrast level."

Since 650U has the "normal" LCD and not X-Gen, the question is if this is something noticeable in terms of contrast (although they state the same 4mil:1 for both models), potentially differences in colors, brightness level and panel uniformity. From their definition above, it would seem these aspects would be affected, and potentially negatively, unless this "normal LCD panel" somehow turns out to be better than their X-Gen panels. I'd wait for a pro-review on CNET, as they will measure all these aspects with pro equipment and state clearly any differences from 640U. I hope this doesn't turn into one of those examples I kept mentioning, where the new model performs worse than the old one. rolleyes.gif

It also has a dual core processor but I think that is a marketing scheme because what's really the point? Lol.
post #930 of 1369 Old 03-08-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy lee View Post

It also has a dual core processor but I think that is a marketing scheme because what's really the point? Lol.

According to what I've seen, the 650U does have an X-Gen LCD panel, and also allows some tv control via smartphone apps.

http://www.abt.com/product/67684/Sharp-LC70LE650U.html

I got my 640U for $1997 with free shipping, so I don't feel too bad about the new model having a MSRP of $2000, but if I had waited till later this year, I likely could get the 650U for even less, but I didn't wanna wait. The only thing that I would have been upset about is if the 650U was full backlit, but it's not so I'm glad I didn't wait. The 650U does offer a web browser wich the 640U lacks, but I wouldn't use it anyway since I hiave an actual PC connected to my system. I guess now we'll just have to wait to see how the pictue compares, and how much color/picture adjustmets there are.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le640u 60 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page