Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1357 Old 03-17-2013, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy lee View Post

Actually with VGA you can output 1080p with Xbox. Just not with composite or component I believe.

You can get 1080p with component video on the 360.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1357 Old 03-17-2013, 12:08 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by andaroo View Post

I tried his changes too but found the green and yellow too strong that it made the picture lose depth. I remember reading reviews on this tv set saying that the picture looks flat. However i have found that z mads settings make certain shots almost look 3d without the glasses lol especially on the Life documentary on blu ray. It did take me a while to adjust though it looked faded at first but only because i was used to the colours being too bright but now with these settings i find the colours are so much more realistic! The only thing i could say now after a few days of my tv set this way is that the reds and greens are slightly faded but I dont wanna tweak anything and mess the whole thing up lol. The only reason i say that is because on Life it shows a shot of a couple of red eyed tree frogs and i have those frogs as pets so i know what colour they should be lol and found they didnt look green enough and their eyes red enough in the shot but it could have just been the footage on the blu ray i dont know.

Anderoo, try this for your greens:

CMS Saturation: -19
CMS Hue: +3

this bumps up the saturation over previous setting, while adjusting the hue to "cool down" the green a bit so it doesn't get too "shrill", since green luminance is a bit tricky on this TV... Good luck smile.gif
post #993 of 1357 Old 03-17-2013, 05:04 PM

I found the reds better at saturation -19 and the green at -18

I changed the green settings and it looks good to me so far, i will have to watch more content first before i can see if it helped. The red's can look a bit faded /slightly orange... any tips?
post #994 of 1357 Old 03-17-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:

I found the reds better at saturation -19 and the green at -18

I changed the green settings and it looks good to me so far, i will have to watch more content first before i can see if it helped. The red's can look a bit faded /slightly orange... any tips?

Orange? Wow, can't say I'm seeing any such issues with red on my set. My reds are really rich. Well, one of those variances between sets..
From what you are describing, apart from saturation, you may want to try going further down with the CMS Hue setting for red, say -10, -12... This would be taking you away from the yellow saturation in your reds and therefore probably less "orangy". Of course difficult to say without seeing your TV, lol, but give it a shot and good luck...
post #995 of 1357 Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 PM

OK, I have read all of the posts, and want to thank you all for great info. Z-Mad, wonderful settings, I do not know how you find the time and patience to share this info but thank you for doing so. Now my question, with March Basketball coming up what is the best mode for sports? Standard or Game? I have the 640u 60inch, going on 2 weeks now, love it but do see some motion blur. Any advice is welcome. I purchased this at COSTCO for $999.00 and $58.00 for 5 year extended service. Thank-you all again.
post #996 of 1357 Old 03-18-2013, 12:28 PM

I was using my PS3 as my source when adjusting settings and found there are display settings on the PS3 system itself that i adjusted and now i dont have any issues with the original zmads settings
post #997 of 1357 Old 03-18-2013, 01:56 PM

WOW!! Sears has the Sharp LC-60LE640U for $949.49 on Sale while supply's last. Great time to make the buy! Just for your info.smile.gif
post #998 of 1357 Old 03-18-2013, 08:54 PM

Well, here is what I've settled on for my settings on the Sharp 60" 640U.I'm using Z-mad's settings ( with latest tweaks) on GAME mode.Looks excellent to me.
On standard I'm using the6kgt2 Settings. These settings match my professionally calibrated Sony KDL 52XBR4 perfectly. My Sony has received many, many complements over the last five years. All the yellow and greens look as they should.
On user mode I'm using IItj's Settings. The colors look accurate and its fun to watch certain programs with these settings.
It seems that all three of the above settings translated well to my Sharp 60" 640U. I'm very satisfied with this rather inexpensive 60" 640U. To be able to say that it's picture is equal to the Sony for two thousand dollars less is really saying something!!! Much more than I ever expected from a $1000.00 set!! Of course, I owe the great picture quality to all of you guys. Thanks for all of your hard work. Bill:)

PS; I'm temped to go buy another 60" 640U from Sears because of such a low price,$949.49:D
post #999 of 1357 Old 03-19-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orporter View Post

OK, I have read all of the posts, and want to thank you all for great info. Z-Mad, wonderful settings, I do not know how you find the time and patience to share this info but thank you for doing so. Now my question, with March Basketball coming up what is the best mode for sports? Standard or Game? I have the 640u 60inch, going on 2 weeks now, love it but do see some motion blur. Any advice is welcome. I purchased this at COSTCO for $999.00 and $58.00 for 5 year extended service. Thank-you all again.

For sports I'd say use standard mode, and turn on motion enhancement to 120Hz high. This will help minimize any blur in fast moving scenes. The motion enhancement feature is ok for sports, but for anything else, I personally stick with game mode: no lag/lip sync issues and no unnatural looking motion especially with movies... That's at least my personal preference...
post #1000 of 1357 Old 03-19-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 616
I think a lot of people are having to use Game mode for sports, but I'm starting to believe that (much like the color settings) each tv is different and you should play around a bit to see what's best for your own set. I've been using Standard mode no motion enhancement and have zero problems with motion blur for sports and no perceptable SOE on anything else. Damn I love this TV!

WDTV Live SMP with 5TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #1001 of 1357 Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM

Thanks again for the feed back. I have tried all of these modes and funny thing is I put Z-Mad's settings in "user" and they look very good. I find myself going back to this, they just look better. Any thoughts on this. I don't know what the purpose of this mode is but on my set those settings look pretty darn good. I will see how it does with games on Thursday.
post #1002 of 1357 Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM

Liked: 11
I'm going to "rent" a Spyder4 Elite from my local Fry's later today to see if I can get the color accuracy any closer. I've heard good and bad things about puck calibrators, but I'll finish it off with a blue-filter PLUGE color pattern and a color stepping chart for final accuracy. Hopefully I'll have some new settings soon.
post #1003 of 1357 Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3kgt2 View Post

I'm going to "rent" a Spyder4 Elite from my local Fry's later today to see if I can get the color accuracy any closer. I've heard good and bad things about puck calibrators, but I'll finish it off with a blue-filter PLUGE color pattern and a color stepping chart for final accuracy. Hopefully I'll have some new settings soon.

I think your settings on standard mode look very good! as does Z-Mad's on game mode. What else could one ask for?smile.gif
post #1004 of 1357 Old 03-20-2013, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orporter View Post

Thanks again for the feed back. I have tried all of these modes and funny thing is I put Z-Mad's settings in "user" and they look very good. I find myself going back to this, they just look better. Any thoughts on this. I don't know what the purpose of this mode is but on my set those settings look pretty darn good. I will see how it does with games on Thursday.

I was a bit surprised at first too when it was "discovered" that my settings worked in other modes too. It seems that the same settings can work in game, standard, and user modes. Apparently these 3 modes are basically the same at the firmware level, so that the same settings produce more or less identical picture quality in all 3 modes. Movie mode is different and needs completely different settings, plus it has an inherent green tint. By the way, for gaming you can only use the game mode. Every other mode has major input lag and makes the games practically unplayable (especially with first person shooters and such). Game mode features Sharp's vyper drive specifically programmed for gaming (no lag, etc). Anyway, have fun exploring your TV biggrin.gif
post #1005 of 1357 Old 03-20-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:

Interested to see what you find out with the Spyder. It is not exactly the hi-end calibration tool (certainly not what pro calibrators use), but it is a tool nonetheless that could help. Worth a try I'd say. Didn't know they were renting those at Fry's. How much do they charge? I'd be a bit careful about how accurate it is, especially rented, but should be fun to find out biggrin.gif I could check the settings against my pro calibrated set and see if colors match well. Thanks for sharing...
post #1006 of 1357 Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 AM

Just watched the hobbit on blu ray last night on zmads settings.. Omg best picture quality i have ever seen!!! Incredible biggrin.gif
post #1007 of 1357 Old 03-20-2013, 02:18 PM

Not sure if this is supposed to be this way because i like how it looks but i find zmads settings the blues lean towards the cyan colour and cyans are REALLY bright. It looks cool when there is a highlight of cyan on things but sky shots can be almost a little much
post #1008 of 1357 Old 03-20-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:

Not sure if this is supposed to be this way because i like how it looks but i find zmads settings the blues lean towards the cyan colour and cyans are REALLY bright. It looks cool when there is a highlight of cyan on things but sky shots can be almost a little much

Glad you are enjoying good PQ biggrin.gif If you are seeing strong cyan tones, try just taking the cyan saturation down a bit. I think you can just put it back to zero. Try that. I like hearing feedback, as I may have missed a detail in the settings that only specific content would reveal that I maybe didn't have. I might look into the blue tones a bit further. I try to get as "perfect" as possible, plus it's fun to do biggrin.gif
post #1009 of 1357 Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:

BTW, any specific content that shows the strong cyan? All sky shots in general or from specific content/source? That might help me find equal content to look into and see if I can find improvements or if it might be a set variance too. I did look at many nature shots when calibrating, including sea water, skies and such, but not sure if I have noticed the strong cyan. Thanks...
post #1010 of 1357 Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

BTW, any specific content that shows the strong cyan? All sky shots in general or from specific content/source? That might help me find equal content to look into and see if I can find improvements or if it might be a set variance too. I did look at many nature shots when calibrating, including sea water, skies and such, but not sure if I have noticed the strong cyan. Thanks...

All sky shots look this way. They did on blu rays such as life and the hobbit.. Also watching hd cable things such as clothing, lighting effects, blue hair highlights really stand out if its cyan. Normal blues too that should be a little more royal / navy blue lean more towards the cyan hue and can look slightly off.
post #1011 of 1357 Old 03-21-2013, 03:05 PM

I tried Z-Mad's settings, I have a 640U, and it look washed out with the saturation down that low. I went with CNET's settings in USER Mode and I'm very happy with the look. I stay on that for everything. But I'm glad Z's settings do work for many but it's weird that the sets are so different. My set was made in August 2012.
post #1012 of 1357 Old 03-21-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee zee View Post

I tried Z-Mad's settings, I have a 640U, and it look washed out with the saturation down that low. I went with CNET's settings in USER Mode and I'm very happy with the look. I stay on that for everything. But I'm glad Z's settings do work for many but it's weird that the sets are so different. My set was made in August 2012.

Hey dee zee, yep, you seem to have one of those "washed out" sets, lol. Yeah, there are generally two builds that seem to have revealed themselves by trying out the same settings on different sets, as I was saying earlier: strong luminance builds that need less saturation especially on greens and reds, and then the other build (like yours) where taking down the saturation looks washed out. To give you an example, my settings actually look very much like CNET's movie settings on my set, only without that green tint of the movie mode... Anyway, glad you found the settings that work for you and on your set biggrin.gif
post #1013 of 1357 Old 03-21-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:

All sky shots look this way. They did on blu rays such as life and the hobbit.. Also watching hd cable things such as clothing, lighting effects, blue hair highlights really stand out if its cyan. Normal blues too that should be a little more royal / navy blue lean more towards the cyan hue and can look slightly off.

Hmmm, I'd think I'd notice if it was that strong, since I did look into lots of nature related content. Could be a panel variance. As I'm out of the house till next week, I can't really check more right now, but I'm curious to look into it more next week. Did you try just taking down the saturation of cyan a bit? Cheers...
post #1014 of 1357 Old 03-21-2013, 04:43 PM

My car's engine just blew up, literally, so I didn't get a chance to grab a Spyder. However, I did do some more fine tuning with my settings. If my last settings worked for you then try these new settings. Make sure you use STANDARD mode and nothing else, since these settings seem to be way off in any other mode...especially MOVIE mode. Hopefully this helps some of you out there.

AV MODE: STANDARD
OPC: Off
Backlight: +4
Contrast: +30
Brightness: +2
Color: +4
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +2

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: -8
Y: +9
G: -3
C: -15
B: +6
M: +10

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: -23
Y: +2
G: +1
C: -8
B: -3
M: -8

C.M.S. -Value
Y: -3
G: +4
C: 0
B: +19
M: -3

Color Temp: Low
R Gain (LO): 0
G Gain (LO): +3
B Gain (LO): -7
R Gain (HI): -6
G Gain (HI): 0
B Gain (HI): -6

Motion Enhancement: AquoMotion 240Hz
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: +2
Black Level: [grayed out]
Film Mode: Advanced +1
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: [0 - +8]
post #1015 of 1357 Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:

My car's engine just blew up, literally, so I didn't get a chance to grab a Spyder. However, I did do some more fine tuning with my settings. If my last settings worked for you then try these new settings. Make sure you use STANDARD mode and nothing else, since these settings seem to be way off in any other mode...especially MOVIE mode. Hopefully this helps some of you out there.

AV MODE: STANDARD
OPC: Off
Backlight: +4
Contrast: +30
Brightness: +2
Color: +4
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +2

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
Y: +9
G: -3
C: -15
B: +6
M: +10

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: -23
Y: +2
G: +1
C: -8
B: -3
M: -8

C.M.S. -Value
Y: -3
G: +4
C: 0
B: +19
M: -3

Color Temp: Low
R Gain (LO): 0
G Gain (LO): +3
B Gain (LO): -7
R Gain (HI): -6
G Gain (HI): 0
B Gain (HI): -6

Motion Enhancement: AquoMotion 240Hz
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: +2
Black Level: [grayed out]
Film Mode: Advanced +1
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: [0 - +8]

I am amazed at how the advanced settings seem to be all over the number scale with some users, but I am noting one great similarity between this set and mine: I have to set my blue CMS value high as well (+24 on mine) to achieve accurate blue tones... It is the biggest anomaly with my panel (or maybe it's in the firmware, not sure how to tell).

Otherwise, I have a few minor off-zero adjustments in cyan and magenta, but nothing like others are reporting...
post #1016 of 1357 Old 03-22-2013, 05:56 PM

the3kgt2; Would you please explain what you are doing with range of OPC. I assumed you are showing Max at 0 and Min at +8.On my 640U I can't get Max below +1 and Min above 0. On film mode I have it set to standard to reduce the SOE.
post #1017 of 1357 Old 03-23-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening flyer View Post

the3kgt2; Would you please explain what you are doing with range of OPC. I assumed you are showing Max at 0 and Min at +8.On my 640U I can't get Max below +1 and Min above 0. On film mode I have it set to standard to reduce the SOE.

Other way around. MIn at 0 and max at +8. This doesn't matter if you have OPC disabled disabled in the power settings.
post #1018 of 1357 Old 03-24-2013, 11:23 AM

Woot.com has our TV for $884 shipped.

http://www.woot.com/offers/sharp-60-1080p-120hz-led-smart-tv
post #1019 of 1357 Old 03-24-2013, 12:15 PM

Refurbished!
post #1020 of 1357 Old 03-24-2013, 09:22 PM

I thought this was interesting: a few of us discussed this earlier assuming 650U is basically the same as 640U. There is apparently indeed a difference in the panel itself - apparently no X-Gen panel on the 650U after-all. This is from the official forum on Sharp's website:

"Thank you for your recent inquiry about our Sharp LC-60LE650 and LC-60LE640U. The biggest difference is with the 640U you get our X-Gen LCD Panel that will help give you much more crisp images. The 640U allows you to set virtual surround settings where as the 650U only allows you to simulate surround settings. If you would like you can compare more differences between the LC-60LE640U and the LC-60LE650U on our website at the below link. http://www.sharpusa.com/Product/Compare.aspx?models=LC60LE640U,LC60LE650U."
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le640u 60 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page