Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post

Thanks.
On my PQ problem (from previous post)

I have had the HX750 for a few months now as a bedroom TV for an hour or so of viewing at night mostly. I can not get good picture quality-tried factory settins, CNET's, Hometheater.com's and those in post 1109 that had the retail mode ( that was garrish!).
The set shows a a darkish, non-sharp (soap opera effect?) PQ with all CNET and Home theater settngs. Using lastest HDMI high speed cable witha Directv receiver Hr-20 and a Panasonic DMP-BD65 blu ray player. Blu ray is better but does not compare with my 2012 Sharp LC-60LE640U either from Directv or blu ray. Not even close. Have tried adjusting contrast, brightness and sharpness under those settings with no improvement.

Think I have a bad set or the settings wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

I am using CNET's-played aroung with settings and increased backlite to 6 where all suggestions were 0. Big improvement-anyone know why this would help? Watch in total dark most of time (MBR).

Shouldn't this be better posted in the HX750 thread instead? wink.gif

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1368 Old 05-08-2013, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post

Shouldn't this be better posted in the HX750 thread instead? wink.gif

Crap!! Wrong thread. Sorry!

Memphis Home Builder
post #1083 of 1368 Old 05-09-2013, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 80
For those interested, I finally got my hands on some calibration equipment and a colorimeter, so below are Calman-4 measured and optimized settings for game mode (which translate well in standard mode as well). While any previous settings were close and going in the right direction, the below measured results are basically as good as the game mode will get on this TV (or at least on my set). Cheers smile.gif

AV MODE: GAME (OK for STANDARD mode too)
OPC: Off
Backlight: +10
Contrast: +28
Brightness: +2
Color: +2
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +1

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: -6
Y: +18
G: -6
C: -8
B: -6
M: +7

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: -15
Y: -9
G: -18
C: +8
B: +1
M: -11

C.M.S. -Value
R: +6
Y: 0
G: +19
C: -10
B: +10
M: 0

Color Temp: Low
R Gain (LO): +8
G Gain (LO): -15
B Gain (LO): -25
R Gain (HI): 0
G Gain (HI): -22
B Gain (HI): -21

Motion Enhancement: [grayed out]
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: 0
Black Level: [grayed out]
Film Mode: [grayed out]
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: [any]
Monte71 likes this.
post #1084 of 1368 Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audio from Antenna source
There are a number of posts in this thread discussing the optical audio out, but they all seem to be intertwined with HDMI issues. I have a simple non-HDMI related question. I am trying to get audio from the TV to my receiver via the optical audio out. The TV is connected via the antenna connection to cable (not a cable box, just the cable). I can get sound from the cable source through the TV speakers no problem.

I currently cannot get any sound from the optical audio out (I have another toslink audio source that I have used to test that neither the receiver nor the cable is not the problem). I have tried both "fixed" and "variable" audio settings. What do I need to do to the TV to get audio out of the optical out?
post #1085 of 1368 Old 05-10-2013, 07:40 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by scram View Post

Audio from Antenna source
There are a number of posts in this thread discussing the optical audio out, but they all seem to be intertwined with HDMI issues. I have a simple non-HDMI related question. I am trying to get audio from the TV to my receiver via the optical audio out. The TV is connected via the antenna connection to cable (not a cable box, just the cable). I can get sound from the cable source through the TV speakers no problem.

I currently cannot get any sound from the optical audio out (I have another toslink audio source that I have used to test that neither the receiver nor the cable is not the problem). I have tried both "fixed" and "variable" audio settings. What do I need to do to the TV to get audio out of the optical out?

I should think you'd get PCM stereo without any fiddling at all. I did. Then AC3 5.1 (when the source has it) by changing terminal settings (under system settings).

Have you tried re-seating your toslink cable, or tried another one? Are you absolutely certain your receiver is set correctly for optical input?

If none of the above work, I suppose you might have a defective optical port.
post #1086 of 1368 Old 05-11-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

For those interested, I finally got my hands on some calibration equipment and a colorimeter, so below are Calman-4 measured and optimized settings for game mode (which translate well in standard mode as well). While any previous settings were close and going in the right direction, the below measured results are basically as good as the game mode will get on this TV (or at least on my set). Cheers smile.gif

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue

C.M.S. -Saturation

C.M.S. -Value

Very nice !

Thanks for taking the time to do this !
post #1087 of 1368 Old 05-11-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlal View Post

Very nice !

Thanks for taking the time to do this !

Happy to share.
Just a side note on these latest settings: Colorimeter measurement suggested the CMS Red Saturation of -15, as posted.
I have made a small personal preference adjustment and taken it down to -18 in game mode and -21 in standard mode. Just found the skin tones a bit more natural that way with some of the content, that's all. All other settings are optimized. Red is really the toughest primary color to calibrate in game mode...

If you are a fan of the movie mode but struggling with it's greenish tint or settings in general, the standard mode with above settings is a good alternative:gives you the 120Hz motion enhancement option and everything that the movie mode would, only with better colors...

Cheers wink.gif
post #1088 of 1368 Old 05-12-2013, 06:31 AM

Thanks Z-Mad!
post #1089 of 1368 Old 05-12-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue

C.M.S. -Saturation

C.M.S. -Value

Thanks for these Zmad! How are these settings with viewing HD sports? I made a post on the previous page regarding this topic. Trying to find the optimal setting for viewing HD sports. TV is mounted and viewed about 12' away.

Thanks in advance for your response.
post #1090 of 1368 Old 05-12-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dercampb View Post

Thanks for these Zmad! How are these settings with viewing HD sports? I made a post on the previous page regarding this topic. Trying to find the optimal setting for viewing HD sports. TV is mounted and viewed about 12' away.

Thanks in advance for your response.

For sports, I personally use the STANDARD mode with those above settings, but with motion enhancement turned on to 120Hz high. The only aspect I have been struggling with and tweaking is the red color, as I mentioned. Red is tough to calibrate on this one, even with colorimeter it's practically impossible to get it perfect. I tried going down in saturation a bit, but after a day of viewing various content realized the red should be more saturated after all. So I settled on CMS R Saturation at -8 for game and -12 for standard mode. That's what I would suggest and hope it's helpful smile.gif So I've settled on these:

AV MODE: GAME (and STANDARD)

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: -8 (-12 in standard mode)

C.M.S. -Value

Motion Enhancement: [grayed out] (120Hz high in STANDARD)
post #1091 of 1368 Old 05-12-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:

For sports, I personally use the STANDARD mode with those above settings, but with motion enhancement turned on to 120Hz high. The only aspect I have been struggling with and tweaking is the red color, as I mentioned. Red is tough to calibrate on this one, even with colorimeter it's practically impossible to get it perfect. I tried going down in saturation a bit, but after a day of viewing various content realized the red should be more saturated after all. So I settled on CMS R Saturation at -8 for game and -10 for standard mode. That's what I would suggest and hope it's helpful smile.gif So I've settled on these:

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: -8 (-10 in standard mode)

C.M.S. -Value

Thanks! I will try these out.
post #1092 of 1368 Old 05-12-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dercampb View Post

Thanks! I will try these out.

No problem wink.gif You may just have to check the CMS R saturation and set it at whatever looks best for you. Note I eddited my post to -12 R Sat. in standard mode... Cheers smile.gif
post #1093 of 1368 Old 05-12-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:

For sports, I personally use the STANDARD mode with those above settings, but with motion enhancement turned on to 120Hz high. The only aspect I have been struggling with and tweaking is the red color, as I mentioned. Red is tough to calibrate on this one, even with colorimeter it's practically impossible to get it perfect. I tried going down in saturation a bit, but after a day of viewing various content realized the red should be more saturated after all. So I settled on CMS R Saturation at -8 for game and -12 for standard mode. That's what I would suggest and hope it's helpful smile.gif So I've settled on these:

Thanks Z-Mad!! Your latest settings have now been upgraded from very good to EXCELLENT for both Game and standard mode!!biggrin.gif
post #1094 of 1368 Old 05-13-2013, 02:43 PM

Zmad thank you for your great settings! Do you think the whites may be a little too red now? It's looking a little red to me. A good test is when watching hockey games.
post #1095 of 1368 Old 05-13-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp22 View Post

Zmad thank you for your great settings! Do you think the whites may be a little too red now? It's looking a little red to me. A good test is when watching hockey games.

Hey cp22, thanks for the comment. The whites are actually fine and dead-on as measured. If you look at perfect white backgrounds, you should notice pure white. Hockey is one of those known phenomenons, and I know what you mean (been watching the playoffs myself smile.gif ) Perfectly calibrated white tends to have sort of a "red-ish" look to it with Hockey ice if you compare to looking at the ice "live", particularly with some of the colored imprints on the ice. This tends to be the case with color temp set on "low". This is the most accurate color temp for practically all content, and most pro calibrators work with that temp, but in case of hockey, you may just switch the color temp to "medium" during the game. Otherwise I'd leave it on low. Actually after a while of watching you adjust to it, and it doesn't really appear as anything but white... Hope this helps wink.gif
post #1096 of 1368 Old 05-13-2013, 03:08 PM

Ya it's not a huge issue, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Do you have the graphs/calibration numbers?
post #1097 of 1368 Old 05-13-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I am looking at Sharps because they tend to have a matte screen which I prefer. I'm looking at 50" sets & saw the LC-50LE650U but did not think the screen was as matte as the 60" LC-60C6400U which was near it. Do the newer 650 series use different panel which are more reflective than last year's models?

I know they used to make a 52", model LC-52LE640U but can't currently find one. Would it be safe to presume the older 52" 640 would be more matte than the 50" 650 model? IOW maybe I should look around for a 52".

I was looking at the LC-52LE640U specs on Sharp's website & noticed the power consumption was listed at 150W which is double or triple most current LED sets. Can anyone confirm that the 640 series uses that much power?
post #1098 of 1368 Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 AM

I recently purchased the Sharp LC-60LE650U and am somewhat disappointed in the picture quality when watching OTA TV. I tried Z-Mad's calibration settings and they look great for Blu-Ray but when I watch TV (regular antenna), there is a lot of noise (pixelation) especially in dark scenes.

I was watching the Voice last night (NBC) and the stage is very dark, there is major blobs of pixelation (and also banding) where the black parts are with some lighting and smoke coming through. I'm coming from a Sony 46inch XBR so I might be spoiled by really good picture quality, but this Sharp doesn't compare. Am I missing something? Or is it just normal for a screen this large? (60")?
post #1099 of 1368 Old 05-14-2013, 04:36 PM

Zmad, after watching more programs with your settings, there is definitely too much red in the picture. Most whites have a reddish/pinkish hue.
post #1100 of 1368 Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:

Zmad, after watching more programs with your settings, there is definitely too much red in the picture. Most whites have a reddish/pinkish hue.

Hey cp22, one must of course understand that the sets do vary, and the setting by no means translate always perfectly between sets. Some, including yourself, may be seeing a lot of red in the white balance, which could be a set variance too, and which would not be surprising. So you could just play with the white balance settings a bit and lower the red and see if that makes it better.

The setting that will effect it the most is R Gain (HI) under Color Temp. My setting is at zero, but you may try taking it down to say -8 or -10 to create noticeable difference and see how that looks. Hope that helps you smile.gif
post #1101 of 1368 Old 05-15-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I am looking at Sharps because they tend to have a matte screen which I prefer. I'm looking at 50" sets & saw the LC-50LE650U but did not think the screen was as matte as the 60" LC-60C6400U which was near it. Do the newer 650 series use different panel which are more reflective than last year's models?

I know they used to make a 52", model LC-52LE640U but can't currently find one. Would it be safe to presume the older 52" 640 would be more matte than the 50" 650 model? IOW maybe I should look around for a 52".

I was looking at the LC-52LE640U specs on Sharp's website & noticed the power consumption was listed at 150W which is double or triple most current LED sets. Can anyone confirm that the 640 series uses that much power?

Yep, last year's 640U models use matte panels, and this years 650U models use clearly much shinier and more reflective screens. I saw some 650U's recently at a store, and man, the difference is huge! I would dislike the shiny panels this year too...
post #1102 of 1368 Old 05-15-2013, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, last year's 640U models use matte panels, and this years 650U models use clearly much shinier and more reflective screens. I saw some 650U's recently at a store, and man, the difference is huge! I would dislike the shiny panels this year too...

I thought about getting the 52" long time ago, but I never saw any really great reviews on the set. Just about any review I see is on a set with what most manufacturers call a semi-matte screen. However I would call these semi-glossy. I have an old Sony LCD RPTV with a really matte screen & don't know what I'll do when/if it becomes too expensive to repair.
post #1103 of 1368 Old 05-15-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:

Try these:

R Gain (HI): +3
G Gain (HI): 0
B Gain (HI): -6

Can't confirm the measurements for these at present as I returned the equipment that I had borrowed through a friend, but I think these may get you on the right track in terms of pursuing the "whitest" whites... Good luck smile.gif
post #1104 of 1368 Old 05-16-2013, 04:32 PM

Thanks! I'll try these
post #1105 of 1368 Old 05-18-2013, 12:13 PM

I went back to your previous settings zmad, the settings you posted before you had the equipment. They just looked the best to me.
post #1106 of 1368 Old 05-18-2013, 01:51 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:

I went back to your previous settings zmad, the settings you posted before you had the equipment. They just looked the best to me.

I'm of two minds about this. Accuracy is a nice ideal in theory, but I too think the earlier settings look very good indeed. Colors are richer, without making skin tones look unnatural.

Of course the purists here will be scornful.tongue.gif

Personally, I want my desktop monitor to be reasonably accurate for my amateur video hobbyist editing, filtering, etc. When I watch TV, I just want a pleasing picture.
post #1107 of 1368 Old 05-18-2013, 03:30 PM

Just wanted to add, I'm using your old settings zmad, but with cyan hue at 0 and cyan saturation at -30. These work great for me.
post #1108 of 1368 Old 05-18-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Just wanted to add, I'm using your old settings zmad, but with cyan hue at 0 and cyan saturation at -30. These work great for me.

Hey guys, by all means use whichever settings are the most pleasing to you smile.gif I have gone over the equipment measured settings (after a week of using them with various content) and made very small tweaks that I am sure did not take the image away from calibrated accuracy, but are giving it more of an "eye touch" rather than just pure equipment measurement. This includes the white balance, which after watching it more and more I chose to go more "white" myself. So my ultimate settings I will keep on my set are below. These work the best for me personally biggrin.gif Again, enjoy whichever settings work best for you, and I am glad if any of those were of help. Cheers...

MY ULTIMATE SETTINGS

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: -9 (-15 in standard mode)
B: 0

C.M.S. -Value
B: 0

R Gain (LO): +10
G Gain (LO): +3
B Gain (LO): -11
R Gain (HI): +1
G Gain (HI): -4
B Gain (HI): -10

post #1109 of 1368 Old 05-18-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the 52" LC-52LE640U a decent set?

I tried to look at as many comments & reviews as possible but it seems most people have a 60" or 70" size and I don't know if it's fair to compare sizes. I have no idea if Sharp makes all its panels & therefore if it's safe to compare a 52" to one of the larger sizes.

I cannot find an LC-52LE640U & so picked up a 50" Samsung at Costco & do not like the reflective screen, even if they do call it semi-matte. It has a nice picture if I turn off every light in the house or don't watch TV during daylight hours. So I plan on returning it.

According to Sears website some stores have the 52" Sharp listed as a floor model for sale. Normally I would never buy a floor model especially a TV that has been on all the time. But if the LEDs are supposed to last for years & years I might take a chance if the price is right & the set is in good condition.

Are owners of the 52" happy with their sets?
Any words of wisdom if I should consider a display model or should I continue my search for a new one?
Thanks in advance.
post #1110 of 1368 Old 05-18-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Is the 52" LC-52LE640U a decent set?

I tried to look at as many comments & reviews as possible but it seems most people have a 60" or 70" size and I don't know if it's fair to compare sizes. I have no idea if Sharp makes all its panels & therefore if it's safe to compare a 52" to one of the larger sizes.

I cannot find an LC-52LE640U & so picked up a 50" Samsung at Costco & do not like the reflective screen, even if they do call it semi-matte. It has a nice picture if I turn off every light in the house or don't watch TV during daylight hours. So I plan on returning it.

According to Sears website some stores have the 52" Sharp listed as a floor model for sale. Normally I would never buy a floor model especially a TV that has been on all the time. But if the LEDs are supposed to last for years & years I might take a chance if the price is right & the set is in good condition.

Are owners of the 52" happy with their sets?
Any words of wisdom if I should consider a display model or should I continue my search for a new one?
Thanks in advance.

I have seen 640U models in various sizes on Amazon. Why don't you check there. I'd think you should be able to find the TV you are looking for if you search a bit... Good luck!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le640u 60 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page