Official 2012 Sharp LC-XXLE640U/XXC6400U - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1368 Old 06-23-2013, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, I had trouble with it. I ended up having to purchase an AVR that supported an audio delay to resolve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1368 Old 06-23-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

cp22 (and anyone interested), I couldn't help it and finally got myself my own equipment (C3 meter with Calman 5). Last time I had only borrowed equipment to work with and had to rush the calibration somewhat. So now I'm able to take my sweet time and must say was able to get awesome results that even surpass any previous settings. I started with movie mode and here are the optimal settings. Practically "perfect" white balance/gamma and CMS is more accurate than I thought was doable on this TV (report images below). I highly recommend these settings to anyone (provided they translate correctly on your set). With these settings there is no green tint any more either that I observed with other movie mode settings. I'll be following up with updated game mode soon too.

AV MODE: MOVIE
OPC: Off
Backlight: +8 (This can be lowered or increased for amount of light output that suits individual room brightness)
Contrast: +28
Brightness: +2
Color: +4
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: 0
Y: +3
G: +4
C: +1
B: 0
M: 0

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: -9
Y: -11
G: -9
C: -25
B: 0
M: -17

C.M.S. -Value
R: +8
Y: -2
G: -1
C: +8
B: +7
M: +11

Color Temp: Low
R Gain (LO): +28
G Gain (LO): +2
B Gain (LO): -15
R Gain (HI): +7
G Gain (HI): -15
B Gain (HI): -19

Motion Enhancement: 120Hz High
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: -2
Black Level: [grayed out]
Film Mode: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: [any]

These look great! The colours and skin tones feel more natural. Nicely done.
post #1173 of 1368 Old 06-23-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Actually guys thanks for Netflix input but got it solved..I simply I guess needed to run an optical cable out to my receiver. So now I can watch Netflix.youtube or whatever thru my receiver. Don't do it that way normally as to I have 3 rokus and other ways to do Netflix,but hate when it seems like soemthing should work and it doesn't.

AM I THE ONLY OASIS IN THE DESERT OF STUPIDITY......" SIR BRICKENBOCKER"
post #1174 of 1368 Old 06-23-2013, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Z-mad, like your new settings but was just curious about one thing..With motion enhancement at 120hz, will we now be victim to the dreaded SOE? I just thought game mode was the only mode that eliminated this altogether. And will say the picture with your latest settings do remind me of the image i get from my 60: Panasonic plasma..Very close indeed. Still doesn't beat it to me or wife but when you factor in screen size. it closes the gap to a wash pretty much. Size does matter as far as the ability to get really immersed into a movie.

brickie

post #1175 of 1368 Old 06-24-2013, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post

Z-mad, like your new settings but was just curious about one thing..With motion enhancement at 120hz, will we now be victim to the dreaded SOE? I just thought game mode was the only mode that eliminated this altogether. And will say the picture with your latest settings do remind me of the image i get from my 60: Panasonic plasma..Very close indeed. Still doesn't beat it to me or wife but when you factor in screen size. it closes the gap to a wash pretty much. Size does matter as far as the ability to get really immersed into a movie.

brickie

Hey brickie, yes, the movie mode unfortunately means some SOE, so this would be the mode I will use (or would suggest) for some fast-motion action, mostly sports and regular TV where SOE doesn't come accross as very noticeable. The movie mode is the most accurate mode on this TV in terms of colors, gamma, and white balance.
However, for movies and content where one wouldn't want to have any SOE, the game mode remains the only way to go. I am currently working on the detailed calibration of game mode too, so I'll be posting these settings soon as well.
If the settings come so close to your Panasonic plasma, then they translated quite well on your TV. Sharp LED could never beat Panasonic plasma regardless of settings (I have a Panny VT 50 myself), so I was somewhat surprised too with how close these settings came to the plasma picture. I am quite convinced one can't get any better picture out of the 640U. Hope you are enjoying it smile.gif
post #1176 of 1368 Old 06-24-2013, 04:31 PM

I plugged these into game mode and I think I like them even better than movie mode. I don't know if its just my tv, but for sports I have to use game mode. If I use movie mode while watching hockey, I'll see blur when the puck is moving fast. Same with the baseball when watching baseball, soccer, etc.This doesn't happen at all in game mode.
post #1177 of 1368 Old 06-24-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougm216 View Post

1080i through viber optic cable. Motion blur worse on some sports better on others. Nascar pretty good. NBA finals terrible. Would an external video processor bumping to 1080p eliminate this? Anyone here with experience with a vp on 70' sharp?
Also Z when you calibrated what was your final gamma reading ? I used i1pro with hcfr got a nice picture but the gamma reading is 1.90

Hey dougm216, I am still working on my new detailed calibration of the game mode, but the game mode is aparently set in such way that it simply cannot reach 2.2. gamma (let alone higher). What I was able to get so far is close to 2 (1.94 or so) which I don't think can be improved any more. You can get a great 2.2. gamma in movie mode only (see my latest settings), so if it wasn't for the SOE, this would be the best mode.
There is one possible "trick" for the game mode, which is if you are running your computer on your TV and its graphics card allows gamma adjustment. Then you can tweak it to 2.2 via PC's graphcs card, so any content viewed through your PC (Netflix, DVD's, etc.) would have correct gamma. In addition, my graphics card allows "LCD overdrive" which is like a motion smoother ran by the computer but without SOE! So this way I'm getting 2.2 gamma and smooth motion without SOE while using TV's game mode.
As I mentioned, I'll be posting new game mode settings and calibration report soon. Cheers...
post #1178 of 1368 Old 06-24-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp22 View Post

I plugged these into game mode and I think I like them even better than movie mode. I don't know if its just my tv, but for sports I have to use game mode. If I use movie mode while watching hockey, I'll see blur when the puck is moving fast. Same with the baseball when watching baseball, soccer, etc.This doesn't happen at all in game mode.

Yes, the puck or a golf ball that turns into a tripple puck/ball, courtesy of 120Hz motion enhancement, lol. Basketball and football should be ok, but hockey or golf will indeed have this issue, it's not just your TV. Game mode will continue to be my main mode of use too, no doubt. The optimal game mode settinngs will be different from movie mode settings though. So if you are liking them in game mode now, the final settings I'll be posting should be even better...
post #1179 of 1368 Old 06-24-2013, 07:20 PM

Looking forward to your new game settings.
post #1180 of 1368 Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp22 View Post

Looking forward to your new game settings.

OK, so here is what I have for the new game settings after detailed calibration: Gamma is 1.95, which is the highest achievable in game mode and does look quite good. The biggest challenge was the red color: impossibe to get "perfectly" accurate. I spent the most time on this, because red is one of the primary colors and affects the appearance of a lot of things in the overal picture, particularly the skin tones. If you get the saturation and luminance of red correct, the hue is way off and looks too orange. If you get the hue correct, you can't get enough saturation and the skin tones look too pink. There is simply no "perfect" setting for red that gets all three settings right, so I had to find the best compromise between the 3 values that resulted in the lowest overall DeltaE. Other colors had no issues and are practically "perfectly" accurate. Overall the picture looks great and as good as it will get in game mode, but less "perfect" with skin tones compared to the movie mode due to the red issue. But again, the small deviation from "perfect" for the red is not at all bad (probably not that noticeable unless compared side-by-side to the movie mode), and certainly worth getting rid of the SOE. I might play with the red some more and see if there is any further tweak that may help more, but this is where I'm at for the moment:

AV MODE: GAME
Backlight: +8 (This can be lowered or increased for amount of light output that suits individual room brightness)
Contrast: +29
Color: +6
Tint: +3

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: -10
Y: +11
G: -15
C: -9
B: -11
M: +6

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: -16
Y: -14
G: -29
C: -29
B: +12
M: -17

C.M.S. -Value
R: +12
Y: -3
G: +19
C: +7
B: +11
M: +4

R Gain (LO): -3
G Gain (LO): -7
B Gain (LO): -30
R Gain (HI): -8
G Gain (HI): -21
B Gain (HI): -30

Motion Enhancement: [grayed out]
Film Mode: [grayed out]

post #1181 of 1368 Old 06-25-2013, 08:48 PM

Edited above settings slightly after taking another swing at that red color issue. Had to combine meter readings with a lot of continuous content verification to get the most natural looking skin tones while keeping the DeltaE for red under 3 (on target).

Currently settled on following for red:
H: -12
S: -17
V: +12

Trying to keep those skin tones as accurate as possible...
post #1182 of 1368 Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 PM

Liked: 10
Z-Mad..this is my first post and its a question for you, I recently purchased a LC-70LE650U that with a slightly modified version of your settings has an amazing picture..the problem lies in side viewing, picture is perfect if you're directly in front of it but a slight change of angle will make colors and blacks severely wash out, just moving your head side to side is enough to notice, my question to you is, can I change anything on the setting to alleviate this, is this a common problem on these panels?? Did I get a bad one? TV sits in a large living room and its watched often by the whole family, any help would be appreciated...
post #1183 of 1368 Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

TurboZion, this is a weakness of lcd/led panels. although the problem should be nowhere near as bad as you seem to notice on your set. I have to really move off to the side to notice it..Most definitely not by just turning my head side to side..

Zmad. thanks for all you do man!!!! Yeah, I watched a movie on movie mode and I just hated the soe. It is just way too noticable.I'm going to try your new settings for game mode this weekend when I get some free time. But thanks in advance since I know they'll be great.

post #1184 of 1368 Old 06-26-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZion View Post

Z-Mad..this is my first post and its a question for you, I recently purchased a LC-70LE650U that with a slightly modified version of your settings has an amazing picture..the problem lies in side viewing, picture is perfect if you're directly in front of it but a slight change of angle will make colors and blacks severely wash out, just moving your head side to side is enough to notice, my question to you is, can I change anything on the setting to alleviate this, is this a common problem on these panels?? Did I get a bad one? TV sits in a large living room and its watched often by the whole family, any help would be appreciated...

Yeah, as brickie also mentioned, viewing angle is one of general weaknesses of LED/LCD TV's. It's simply the nature of LCD's, so in general terms this is not just your TV. Some higher end LCD's may do a bit better, but none of them can get close to plasma for example. However, what you are describing sounds a little extreme. The further you step to the side from he perfect 90 degrees viewing angle the more washed out the colors will get, but not by just moving your head side to side. I actually have to step quite a bit to the side before it gets really bad. I will say that the TV seemed to have a bit of a burn-in time, as I believe the viewing angle sensitivity got a little better over time compared to out of the box, but I don't think it was ever that bad. 650U's have a new and more glossy panel this year compared to last year's 640U's, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it too. Settings wise, getting the proper calibration done on your set may help a bit with optimized gamma, saturation, etc. Generally try to keep the gamma slider low (at -2, which actually translates to higher gamma) and make sure your are getting enough saturation in your colors. But all these things can only be truly optimized by calibrating your set. Good luck wink.gif
post #1185 of 1368 Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:

TurboZion, this is a weakness of lcd/led panels. although the problem should be nowhere near as bad as you seem to notice on your set. I have to really move off to the side to notice it..Most definitely not by just turning my head side to side..

Zmad. thanks for all you do man!!!! Yeah, I watched a movie on movie mode and I just hated the soe. It is just way too noticable.I'm going to try your new settings for game mode this weekend when I get some free time. But thanks in advance since I know they'll be great.

Yeah, I really can't stand the SOE. I can handle it only with select content where it doesn't appear noticeable, but overall game mode still remains the only good mode for me personally... Hope the game settings turn out ok for you too smile.gif
post #1186 of 1368 Old 06-27-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I have both the 6400 and the newer 650 and I do notice that off angle viewing is a lot worse on the 650, but the 650 does handle motion a lot better than it does on the 6400.
post #1187 of 1368 Old 06-27-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

Edited above settings slightly after taking another swing at that red color issue. Had to combine meter readings with a lot of continuous content verification to get the most natural looking skin tones while keeping the DeltaE for red under 3 (on target).

Trying to keep those skin tones as accurate as possible...

OK, last game mode tweak on the red - driving me nuts, lol. Dialed down the hue just a bit so I'm leaving it at this. Too tired to try to tweak more, plus this actually looks really good now with the skin tones too.

RED
H: -10
S: -16
V: +12

(edited in the above original post of complete settings too)

Cheers...
post #1188 of 1368 Old 06-28-2013, 07:46 PM

Z-Mad thanks for your new settings for Movie mode and Game mode they are great!
I find when I watch blu rays in movie mode there is no SOE however when I watch dvds there is.
I watch my cable in movie mode with the 120hz turned off and have had it that way for a while and don't notice any SOE anymore. Not sure if this is me adjusting to it or as it's been on this setting for a while it's sorted itself out lol.
post #1189 of 1368 Old 07-02-2013, 05:12 PM

Great settings Zmad.
post #1190 of 1368 Old 07-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Could you post your modified settings for the 70LE650? I just bought this TV for $1849 with free delivery and setup, and bought the 3 year extended warranty from Sharp for $149.(on sale, regularly $299) Much better than the Beast Buy price of $399.

Is it perhaps time to start an Official Sharp 2013 LE650 thread? smile.gif

Official Netgear Beta Tester
Chicago Illinois, United States
post #1191 of 1368 Old 07-04-2013, 09:03 AM

Hey guys !

I'm getting my LC-70LE640U replaced by a LC-70C6400U under warranty.

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV/Archives/LC70C6400U.aspx

Will I see any difference ?

The Sharp rep told me 240 Hz vs 120 Hz for the new one but the only difference I read is the AQUOMOTION option on the C6400U not available on the LE640U.

Thanks !

FYI - I got weird white "spots" on the lower left corner. They figured it was not repairable (no tech came to my place, they based the decision on pictures/video I provided).
post #1192 of 1368 Old 07-07-2013, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm starting to notice purple trails, almost like a shadow behind moving objects against a background, anyone notice this or heard of such problems with these sets?
post #1193 of 1368 Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61 View Post

Could you post your modified settings for the 70LE650? I just bought this TV for $1849 with free delivery and setup, and bought the 3 year extended warranty from Sharp for $149.(on sale, regularly $299) Much better than the Beast Buy price of $399.

Is it perhaps time to start an Official Sharp 2013 LE650 thread? smile.gif

4yr thru squaretrade costed me yesterday $115..3yr was going for $79.

Ah, didn't read close enough that you bought new model,hence higher price paid than what many of us recently slick dealed it for..

post #1194 of 1368 Old 07-08-2013, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

4yr thru squaretrade costed me yesterday $115..3yr was going for $79.

Ah, didn't read close enough that you bought new model,hence higher price paid than what many of us recently slick dealed it for..

I checked SquareTrade before I bought it and they wanted $159 for the 3 year extended.

After having the TV for 3 days now and using Zmad's settings, the picture when facing dead on to the TV is great. My living room is 25x25 so when sitting on the sectional, there is no problem. But i my recliner, which is about 45 degrees off center, the color really fades. I really wish I had went with the 65" Panasonic plasma now. But I am planning to setup a home theater in my finished basement, so I may use this downstairs, and replace it upstairs with the Panny.

Official Netgear Beta Tester
Chicago Illinois, United States
post #1195 of 1368 Old 07-09-2013, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61 View Post

I checked SquareTrade before I bought it and they wanted $159 for the 3 year extended.

After having the TV for 3 days now and using Zmad's settings, the picture when facing dead on to the TV is great. My living room is 25x25 so when sitting on the sectional, there is no problem. But i my recliner, which is about 45 degrees off center, the color really fades. I really wish I had went with the 65" Panasonic plasma now. But I am planning to setup a home theater in my finished basement, so I may use this downstairs, and replace it upstairs with the Panny.

I bought this tv at the same time Sony gave me a replacement and got the Sony HX 750. Sharp beats it so badly. This is from a lifetime Sony guy.

Memphis Home Builder
post #1196 of 1368 Old 07-10-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andaroo View Post

Z-Mad thanks for your new settings for Movie mode and Game mode they are great!
I find when I watch blu rays in movie mode there is no SOE however when I watch dvds there is.
I watch my cable in movie mode with the 120hz turned off and have had it that way for a while and don't notice any SOE anymore. Not sure if this is me adjusting to it or as it's been on this setting for a while it's sorted itself out lol.

anderoo, glad you're enjoying the calibrated settings. By the way, the SOE is still there, but if you've adjusted to it and don't really notice it, then it's all good I guess smile.gif With 120Hz off, the SOE is not very prominent, so I can see how one could get used to it without noticing it much anymore. I see it sporadically kick in even with 120Hz off in specific scenes and with specific moments of motion. That's ok for me too occasionally and with some shows and certain content; but particularly for movies I have to switch to game mode, otherwise SOE bugs me, ha ha. I'm still mostly on game mode myself... Cheers...
post #1197 of 1368 Old 07-10-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post

I bought this tv at the same time Sony gave me a replacement and got the Sony HX 750. Sharp beats it so badly. This is from a lifetime Sony guy.

Yeah, it seems these days the only Sony TVs that are actually good are their top of the line models that are extremely expensive. But then if you're gonna spend that much money, you can buy top of the line Panasonic plasma too which beats even the best Sony, so what's the point. Can't find an affordable Sony model anymore with good PQ, so It's really hard to find a reason to buy a Sony set anymore. I used to be a Sony fan too... Sharp indeed does a quite decent job with solid picture at different price points.
post #1198 of 1368 Old 07-11-2013, 10:38 AM

Hi guys i recently bought these cool tv because of its rich color that bestbuy was displaying. When i plug everything in i noticed game mode 's color was not as rich as i thought. I can live with default user mode for cable but do you guys have a game setting that you guys recommend? Much thanks.
post #1199 of 1368 Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 PM

krylons, you are welcome to try the settings I calibrated with a meter and Calman 5. I am re-posting them here, as I just did a re-calibration, simply cuz I had time on my hands and still wasn't 100% satisfied with the red color and skin tones in game mode (although they were already quite good). In pursuit of perfection, I also looked for the spot on the panel with the most uniformity (avoiding some of the clouded screen areas) for most uniform meter readings and calibrated grayscale all the way to "above white" (109% white) which stretched the gamma curve a bit, and I got 1.97 gamma this time (slight improvement over last calibration). Overall the re-calibration now achieved most accurate red and skin tones thus far. So the re-calibrated settings are just a bit different from last ones from above post (by a point here and there),

For anyone running my game mode settings, these are a tad better particularly with the red color (maybe splitting hairs at this point, but what the hack, since I have the equipment I don't mind using it and getting PQ as "perfect" as possible biggrin.gif )

AV MODE: GAME
Contrast: +29
Color: +8
Tint: +3

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: -9
Y: +10
G: -12
C: -7
B: -16
M: +7

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: -16
Y: -15
G: -29
C: -20
B: +14
M: -19

C.M.S. -Value
R: +6
Y: -3
G: +17
C: +1
B: +14
M: +5

R Gain (LO): -3
G Gain (LO): -9
B Gain (LO): -29
R Gain (HI): -11
G Gain (HI): -19
B Gain (HI): -30

Motion Enhancement: [grayed out]
Film Mode: [grayed out]
post #1200 of 1368 Old 07-13-2013, 10:41 AM

thanks you for your help. works like charm
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le640u 60 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page