Official 2012 Sharp LC-XXLE640U/XXC6400U - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1201 of 1386 Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Z-Mad; Any updated settings for movie mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1386 Old 07-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Z-Mad... just to clarify, you came up with these settings on a LE640 but they should work ok for a LE650? I'm using both Game and Movie settings on my 650 and they seem really good.

Funny thing about SOE... You can't really understand what it is until you actually see it. Oddley enough as many people seem to hate it, I actually like the effect on certain shows. I thought it looked really cool on Dark Skies.

Official Netgear Beta Tester
Chicago Illinois, United States
post #1203 of 1386 Old 07-18-2013, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Z-Mad,

Last round of calibrations (~1100) you were advocating Standard for sports (with the same settings as for Game).
Now, it looks like you are using Movie for sports.

Just wondering why you changed.

I'm also curious which AV modes others prefer for which types of viewing.
Is using Movie for sports and using Game for movies typical?

Personally, I am using Game (with Z-Mad's settings) for everything. Haven't had a chance to watch football yet, but I watched basketball and hockey in Game mode and thought it was fine.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

post #1204 of 1386 Old 07-19-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 114

Im not sure what to call the problem im currently having, but as you can see from the picture, any moving object seems to have a purple shadow when moving against a dark background. I've never had this problem before and ive had this set for about a year now. It can be seen on all sources and different inputs. Any ideas of the cause?
post #1205 of 1386 Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening flyer View Post

Z-Mad; Any updated settings for movie mode?

Not really. Haven't had a chance to check the movie mode again. I might one of these days, just to see if the panel shifted any and basically for the fun of it, but the last settings were accurate and there shouldn't really be much to adjust any more that would create much improvement. Are you having any issues with the movie settings?
post #1206 of 1386 Old 07-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61 View Post

Z-Mad... just to clarify, you came up with these settings on a LE640 but they should work ok for a LE650? I'm using both Game and Movie settings on my 650 and they seem really good.

Funny thing about SOE... You can't really understand what it is until you actually see it. Oddley enough as many people seem to hate it, I actually like the effect on certain shows. I thought it looked really cool on Dark Skies.

My settings are a result of calibration I performed on a 640U. How well do they work on a 650U? I really couldn't say. I know that 650U has a different panel than the 640U, although there are mostly the same sets. There is a chance the settings may look good on the 650U too, but it is likely they are not "perfect". As a matter of fact, even between the different 640U sets, there is likely some little variation, and the same settings may not work perfectly on every single set, but they do seem to translate relatively well since most people who tried them liked the results. Generally though, every single set would need to be individually calibrated (or slightly tweaked) for truly "perfect" settings for each set.

Bottom line, only you can be the judge of that - If the settings look good and you are getting good PQ with contrast, white balance, and color accuracy that are pleasing to your eye, then the settings may very well work fine on your set smile.gif

Re. SOE, it is certainly a matter of personal preference. If you like the effect, you are sort of in luck, cuz then you can use the movie mode (which is the more accurate one overall) all the time and not mind... The reason I (and many others) don't like it is because the motion is artificially generated that way by the TV and was not shot nor intended like that on the original content. So you are basically looking at "fake" motion that's particularly disturbing when watching movies (for me personally at least). It kills that movie feeling for me, if you know what I mean...

Anyway, certainly enjoy your TV whichever way and whichever settings work for you biggrin.gif
post #1207 of 1386 Old 07-21-2013, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I tried your settings on my LC-70C6500U. They did not look good.

LawDawg
post #1208 of 1386 Old 07-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJohnB View Post

Z-Mad,

Last round of calibrations (~1100) you were advocating Standard for sports (with the same settings as for Game).
Now, it looks like you are using Movie for sports.

Just wondering why you changed.

I'm also curious which AV modes others prefer for which types of viewing.
Is using Movie for sports and using Game for movies typical?

Personally, I am using Game (with Z-Mad's settings) for everything. Haven't had a chance to watch football yet, but I watched basketball and hockey in Game mode and thought it was fine.

Hey man,

Yeah, that was before I was able to use my own calibration equipment and really go into detail with the movie mode. Previously all movie mode settings I tried (including the ones from CNET) were somehow heavy on the green tint. Even skin tones were a little "greenish". That's why "standard" was the alternative mode that happened to be basically the same as game mode only with the possibility to turn on the motion enhancement for fast motion content (like sports). So after I calibrated the movie mode properly, the greenish tint is practically gone, so there is no real need for the standard mode any more (at least in my personal view).

At the end of the day, I also use the game mode with my latest calibrated settings practically for everything so far smile.gif Movie remains as alternative for its accuracy, but I agree there isn't that much "necessity" to switch to it from game mode...
post #1209 of 1386 Old 07-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlawson View Post

Good example and not surprising... They are 2 different sets...
post #1210 of 1386 Old 07-22-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

Im not sure what to call the problem im currently having, but as you can see from the picture, any moving object seems to have a purple shadow when moving against a dark background. I've never had this problem before and ive had this set for about a year now. It can be seen on all sources and different inputs. Any ideas of the cause?

Switch off the color (Monochrome - ON) and see if the purple goes away. That's the place to start a process of elimintation..
post #1211 of 1386 Old 07-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlawson View Post

I thought they were good. Not perfect but a good start Certainly better than the factory settings.

So if you don't like Z-mad's 640U settings on your 650U, what settings are you using? Care to share?

Official Netgear Beta Tester
Chicago Illinois, United States
post #1212 of 1386 Old 07-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61 View Post

I thought they were good. Not perfect but a good start Certainly better than the factory settings.

So if you don't like Z-mad's 640U settings on your 650U, what settings are you using? Care to share?

I'd only add that the judgement of the settings is in this case also dependent on personal preference, since it's a tryout of shared settings. Again, may work fine on some sets and for some viewers, but maybe not so much on other sets or for different viewers and their preferences. I can only say that these settings are "perfectly" accurate on my 640U as calibrated ("perfectly" of course meaning as accurate as achievable on this TV in terms of color temperature, color accuracy, white balance/gray scale, gamma, and dynamic range).
I am not sure which aspect specifically didn't work out for cjlawson on his set with those settings, since he didn't say. I can only hope he is not a fan of those "dynamic mode" type settings or "torch" settings to which the TV's are set for display in stores, which is certainly not what anyone should be going for on their TV. Of course I don't know that and not saying it is the case, just trowing it out there in general terms, as there is also a lot of misconception out there of what good picture quality is.

Also, his is the 6500 model, which is supposed to be the same as 650, only made for club stores I believe (like Costco and such). But then again, if they are exactly the same, why create 2 model numbers??? Companies in general mostly create these "special version" products for club stores, simply because they have to offer them particularly cheap, so there is often a little bit of "cutting corners" going on to hit the special price points. Accordingly, they may at times carry a specific model designation which allows differentiation in distribution on manufacturer's side. I can't specifically say how far that may be the case with these Sharp TV's, but frankly, I wouldn't be surprised, since they are differentiating them even in the model number.

At the end of the day, the settings are from 640U and not 650U, so it's a gamble if they work or not from set to set, particularly when the set is of slightly different model like in this case... Either way, I hope they work out for some, and good luck smile.gif
post #1213 of 1386 Old 07-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

I'd only add that the judgement of the settings is in this case also dependent on personal preference, since it's a tryout of shared settings. Again, may work fine on some sets and for some viewers, but maybe not so much on other sets or for different viewers and their preferences. I can only say that these settings are "perfectly" accurate on my 640U as calibrated ("perfectly" of course meaning as accurate as achievable on this TV in terms of color temperature, color accuracy, white balance/gray scale, gamma, and dynamic range).
I am not sure which aspect specifically didn't work out for cjlawson on his set with those settings, since he didn't say. I can only hope he is not a fan of those "dynamic mode" type settings or "torch" settings to which the TV's are set for display in stores, which is certainly not what anyone should be going for on their TV. Of course I don't know that and not saying it is the case, just trowing it out there in general terms, as there is also a lot of misconception out there of what good picture quality is.

Also, his is the 6500 model, which is supposed to be the same as 650, only made for club stores I believe (like Costco and such). But then again, if they are exactly the same, why create 2 model numbers??? Companies in general mostly create these "special version" products for club stores, simply because they have to offer them particularly cheap, so there is often a little bit of "cutting corners" going on to hit the special price points. Accordingly, they may at times carry a specific model designation which allows differentiation in distribution on manufacturer's side. I can't specifically say how far that may be the case with these Sharp TV's, but frankly, I wouldn't be surprised, since they are differentiating them even in the model number.

At the end of the day, the settings are from 640U and not 650U, so it's a gamble if they work or not from set to set, particularly when the set is of slightly different model like in this case... Either way, I hope they work out for some, and good luck smile.gif

It also depends on what you are watching-my settings (a revised version of CNET's) are great for sports, HBO, CBS; mediocre for ABC, TNT, blu ray. Just saying.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #1214 of 1386 Old 07-25-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post

Switch off the color (Monochrome - ON) and see if the purple goes away. That's the place to start a process of elimintation..

Monochrome only made the situation worse, now i have purple shadows everywhere.
post #1215 of 1386 Old 07-26-2013, 01:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Try calibrating the white temperature with the 10-point scale. Use the downloaded DVD available on this site and make the white uniform from brightest to darkest.
It could be that the LEDs in your set have aged enough that they tend slightly to purple after some of the yellow phosphor has decayed off the hybrid light sources...
post #1216 of 1386 Old 07-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Try calibrating the white temperature with the 10-point scale. Use the downloaded DVD available on this site and make the white uniform from brightest to darkest.
It could be that the LEDs in your set have aged enough that they tend slightly to purple after some of the yellow phosphor has decayed off the hybrid light sources...

To me it sounds like a panel issue (somewhere between the crystals/LCD and the polarizer/filter). Possible issue with an internal board component too. I don't think this can be fixed with a grayscale calibration, but not discouraging you from trying it out if you like. I am not a pro TV technician to diagnose it, but I'd definitely get Sharp involved and get a technician out, who might end up replacing some parts or even the panel for you... Good luck...
post #1217 of 1386 Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post

It also depends on what you are watching-my settings (a revised version of CNET's) are great for sports, HBO, CBS; mediocre for ABC, TNT, blu ray. Just saying.

Sure, the source of course affects the picture too. Like you said, even between the channels on the same source (e.g. cable box), there are some variances in the broadcast quality. But since one can't calibrate each individual channel, all you can do is calibrate your TV through a good source (pattern generator or a good BR Player over HDMI), and any sub-par quality broadcasts are what they are... But well calibrated settings generally shouldn't have that big of a difference of being great on specific channels, but only mediocre on other channels or especially on blue ray. Proper settings should look good on all those channels/sources, especially on blue ray, with only slight broadcast variations between select channels or sources. If you are looking at variance in the range of "great" to "mediocre", it sounds more like not optimized settings than just source variation... Just in my experience and for what it's worth... smile.gif
post #1218 of 1386 Old 07-26-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ive only had this set for year. Do LEDs age that fast, ive never owned an led before so i dont know
post #1219 of 1386 Old 07-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

Ive only had this set for year. Do LEDs age that fast, ive never owned an led before so i dont know

Not typically - one year of use normally should't be the issue... but you really should have a technician check it out for you and determine what's causing it and how to fix it. All of us here can take guesses, but none of that will fix your problem... I wouldn't delay calling up Sharp support and taking it from there...
post #1220 of 1386 Old 07-26-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good advice.
post #1221 of 1386 Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Z-MAD; No issues with your movie mode settings. I've been using your game settings lately and like them. Because you brought your own equipment i thought you might be doing some tweaking on the movie mode.smile.gif
post #1222 of 1386 Old 08-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening flyer View Post

Z-MAD; No issues with your movie mode settings. I've been using your game settings lately and like them. Because you brought your own equipment i thought you might be doing some tweaking on the movie mode.smile.gif

Good to hear the settings are working for you smile.gif Yeah, if I end up revisiting the movie mode, I'll post any findings or changes... Cheers
post #1223 of 1386 Old 08-03-2013, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
How does this TV perform with sports? I was going to buy this TV then some guy at Paul's TV told me that I should exepect to see motion blur since its only 120hz I figured he was full of crap and just trying to upsell me but I wanted to check and make sure. Can someone who owns this TV let me know how it performs with football, hockey, etc... I would very disapointed to buy this TV and find out it doesn't perform well with sports.
post #1224 of 1386 Old 08-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertcobra99 View Post

How does this TV perform with sports? I was going to buy this TV then some guy at Paul's TV told me that I should exepect to see motion blur since its only 120hz I figured he was full of crap and just trying to upsell me but I wanted to check and make sure. Can someone who owns this TV let me know how it performs with football, hockey, etc... I would very disapointed to buy this TV and find out it doesn't perform well with sports.

Great for me AFTER i turned motion flow off. Had motion blur with it on.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast
post #1225 of 1386 Old 08-04-2013, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Really? Thats strange... do you think 240hz would be smoother?
post #1226 of 1386 Old 08-05-2013, 06:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertcobra99 View Post

Really? Thats strange... do you think 240hz would be smoother?

I own this tv and watch a ton of sports. The sales guy wasn't lying to you. It's a bad tv for sports. The 120 hz causes motion blur in every sport. Hockey is the worst with the puck moving so quickly. To watch sports, and pretty much anything else for that matter, you need to use Game Mode. On Game Mode there is no motion blur. The problem with using game mode though is you will see judder. It's the lesser of two evils though.

If your tv is going to be in a room that is not very bright, I would highly recommend you going with a plasma. Plasmas are MUCH better for sports and generally better overall.
rjhseven likes this.
post #1227 of 1386 Old 08-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp22 View Post

I own this tv and watch a ton of sports. The sales guy wasn't lying to you. It's a bad tv for sports. The 120 hz causes motion blur in every sport. Hockey is the worst with the puck moving so quickly. To watch sports, and pretty much anything else for that matter, you need to use Game Mode. On Game Mode there is no motion blur. The problem with using game mode though is you will see judder. It's the lesser of two evils though.

If your tv is going to be in a room that is not very bright, I would highly recommend you going with a plasma. Plasmas are MUCH better for sports and generally better overall.

I agree with cp22 and would recommend a nice Plasma to anyone who doesn't have issues with a very bright room (although good plasmas today are getting a decent brightness too). Best value plasma is the Panasonic ST60 with a phenomenal picture. I have their VT50 (their top of the line model) and it blows away any TV in terms of PQ. I'd only caution you on image retention (burn in), which although not such a big issue as in the past, still exists. So if you watch the same sport channel all the time, you might end up getting the scores bar or some logo burned in. Same with heavy gaming... Again, doesn't happen that easily (with pixel orbiter and similar anti image retention features) but can occur. That's why I use mine mainly for blueray, movies, and TV shows, whenever I want to enjoy the best PQ. The Sharp LED is my second set for gaming, sports, and sort of as a "beat up" TV since it's less "sensitive" than plasma.

Actually, I don't think sports looks as bad on the Sharp either. This may depend on the source and broadcast quality too. I have watched hockey for example and didn't think it was bad at all (using ATT U-Verse). Looked pretty good to me, but certainly not as good as plasma. Can't you get to a store somewhere where they carry it and have them show you some sports on it in different modes?

Good luck smile.gif
post #1228 of 1386 Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 PM

Hello,

I am new here and I just purchased a lc-70le640u and really want to like this tv but I can not seem to get the settings to look good at all. I have tried several different ones including all the ones within this post. I would have to think its something that can be corrected but I am not sure. I replaced a Toshiba 62" Dlp and now I am regretting it. I would like to think that if properly calibrated the sharp should have a better picture but as of now the Toshiba is far better and it is 10 years old. I have dish network and watch a lot of sports. Any help would be great.

Thanks
post #1229 of 1386 Old 08-13-2013, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What are the symptoms? Have you tried downloading and running the calibration disc? Get a linear white temperature and you're on your way...
post #1230 of 1386 Old 08-13-2013, 05:56 PM

The colors just seemed washed out. Just not what I was expecting. I am going to continue playing with it and see if I can get it dialed in better. I know the picture should be as good or better than my old Toshiba DLP.

I have not had a chance to download the calibration file yet but I plan too. Do not currently have a blu-ray burner so I guess I will need to go with the DVD file.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le640u 60 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page