Official 2012 Sharp LC-XXLE640U/XXC6400U - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 1369 Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks Z-Mad, I've been trying out your Game and Movie settings on my new 70LE650U. So far I'm pretty happy. My last TV, that just died, a Mits 65833 was ISF calibrated and I was spoiled. That was better than any self done or forum calibration. Still, I'm doing fairly well with your settings and I won't invest in this one yet as I know there's one dead pixel and we'll see if more appear. I'm going to try the WOW disk to massage the pixels, but I'm not sure if that's only for plasmas??
Thanks again for your hard work!

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 1369 Old 09-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Z-Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

Thanks Z-Mad, I've been trying out your Game and Movie settings on my new 70LE650U. So far I'm pretty happy. My last TV, that just died, a Mits 65833 was ISF calibrated and I was spoiled. That was better than any self done or forum calibration. Still, I'm doing fairly well with your settings and I won't invest in this one yet as I know there's one dead pixel and we'll see if more appear. I'm going to try the WOW disk to massage the pixels, but I'm not sure if that's only for plasmas??
Thanks again for your hard work!

Joe, you're welcome. Happy to share those settings if they are of any help to people. My settings are achieved with an isf calibration using a meter and Calman5 calibration software, so they are practically "perfect" on my set. However, they will never be as "perfect" on other sets, as each set has to be individually calibrated for best possible settings. But they can often work well enough for quite nice picture quality even when transferred. In your case, you even have the 650U model which is probably slightly different after all, but glad to hear the settings have given you a good starting point on your 650U too. Cheers...
joe221 likes this.
Z-Mad is offline  
post #1263 of 1369 Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Z-Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhighe View Post

I just bought the 650U. I plugged in CNET's recommended settings. Mostly great, but I couldn't get past the residual SOE and unnaturally desaturated reds. So I plugged in Z-Mad's most recent settings for the 640U. Result? It's only very slightly off from the great parts of the CNET settings, but now there's no residual SOE and the reds look right. I'm pleased.

Glad my settings helped wink.gif As I mentioned to Joe, you have the 650U model so it is surely a bit different from my 640U, explaining some natural discrepancies... Enjoy your new TV...
Z-Mad is offline  
post #1264 of 1369 Old 09-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Z-Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp22 View Post

Zmad, any update to the Movie settings? I felt like your previous movie settings had the most accurate colours.

Which settings are you referring to in terms of color accuracy? Let me know from which post, and I'll check if I have already updated them on my set. I've been calibrating various modes on my Panasonic VT50 lately and haven't done much on the Sharp any more, but I may have an updated but not posted Sharp settings since I haven't been posting movie mode settings lately... Let me know and I'll check them this weekend...
Z-Mad is offline  
post #1265 of 1369 Old 09-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Member
 
cp22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
cp22 is offline  
post #1266 of 1369 Old 09-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Z-Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 97

Yeah, I did update the movie mode with the i1Pro meter several weeks ago, but didn't post the setting. OK, so here they are:

AV MODE: MOVIE
OPC: Off
Backlight: +8 (This can be lowered or increased for amount of light output that suits individual room brightness)
Contrast: +28
Brightness: +2
Color: +8
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: -1
Y: 0
G: +9
C: +2
B: -11
M: +3

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: -8
Y: -9
G: -5
C: -19
B: -3
M: -19

C.M.S. -Value
R: +5
Y: -1
G: -4
C: +6
B: +2
M: +12

Color Temp: Low
R Gain (LO): +17
G Gain (LO): +9
B Gain (LO): -10
R Gain (HI): -11
G Gain (HI): -18
B Gain (HI): -30

Motion Enhancement: 120Hz High
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: -2
Black Level: [grayed out]
Film Mode: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: [any]
Z-Mad is offline  
post #1267 of 1369 Old 09-14-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I tried these settings on my 650 and it was a bit on the red side. The previous Movie settings are much better for me. Much more neutral and natural.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
post #1268 of 1369 Old 09-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Z-Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

I tried these settings on my 650 and it was a bit on the red side. The previous Movie settings are much better for me. Much more neutral and natural.

That's quite possible on your set. Again, that may reveal one of those 650U vs. 640U model differences. 650U might push a little stronger on red than 640U. Certainly enjoy whichever settings seem to work best on your particular set wink.gif
Z-Mad is offline  
post #1269 of 1369 Old 09-14-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joe221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 3,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

That's quite possible on your set. Again, that may reveal one of those 650U vs. 640U model differences. 650U might push a little stronger on red than 640U. Certainly enjoy whichever settings seem to work best on your particular set wink.gif

So very true. May I suggest either dating them or giving them a version number. That way they can be referred to specifically. One version may be better for a 650 and can be referenced??

Thanks again for your hard work! My TV thanks you too! cool.gif

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
joe221 is offline  
post #1270 of 1369 Old 09-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Z-Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Joe, appreciate your post. You and your TV are certainly welcome biggrin.gif

To your point on referencing the settings easier, here are the links as of Sept. 2013 (meaning I might check the settings again sometime in the future to recalibrate for any panel shifts, etc.).

These I consider my reference settings for 640U models (calibrated using Calman 5 with X-Rite i1Display Pro meter):

640U GAME MODE SETTINGS

640U MOVIE MODE SETTINGS


For 650U models my previous movie mode settings were reported to look good on some sets - these settings are HERE. Note: these settings were for 640U and were not calibrated on a 650U model, so they may or may not work on some sets, as with any shared settings...

Enjoy!
Z-Mad is offline  
post #1271 of 1369 Old 09-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Member
 
cp22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Those new settings are very good, thanks Zmad. One change I made was to correct the blue. It was far too saturated/dull on my set. I changed saturation to +16 and value to -11, it looks perfect now. Thanks.
cp22 is offline  
post #1272 of 1369 Old 09-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Z-Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp22 View Post

Those new settings are very good, thanks Zmad. One change I made was to correct the blue. It was far too saturated/dull on my set. I changed saturation to +16 and value to -11, it looks perfect now. Thanks.

Sure thing... Your adjustment reveals differences between sets even of the same model (640U): For example, the blue adjustment you had to make. On my TV, setting blue value so low (-11) would make it extremely dark; it would be almost like a bluish black rather than blue. Same thing with saturation: +16 would be way over-saturated on my TV and would clip a few shades on the lighter end of the scale. Just goes to say that ultimate settings are always individual to each set. I'd suggest verifying with some blue content you are well familiar with and know exactly how it is supposed to look like. Still images are good if you can put them on the screen. Also, check the blue ramps (like below) and make sure you are getting a good spread from the darkest shade to lightest shade of blue without clipping them. Just another aid that can be helpful if you are tweaking the colors in value and saturation... Cheers...

Z-Mad is offline  
post #1273 of 1369 Old 09-24-2013, 07:06 AM
Newbie
 
TB1x9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, my name is Anthony (real name) and I came here looking for calibration information for my 70inch Sharp. I would specifically like to address Z-Mad, as it appears that his video sensibilities are very much like my own. I would also like to thank him for the time & effort it took to share his settings and information. It's been a very helpful.

I'm new to this, the Sharp is my very first LCD. My prior TV was a 30 inch Samsung Tantus CRT, which had a very nice picture, but it kept having power supply failures every 2 years. I thought it poorly designed for such an expensive tv, so I vowed not to purchase another Samsung. I've since relaxed on that position.

Anyway... Z-Mad ...

I calibrated my 640 using the WOW blu, in Game mode ...

Backlight +11
Contrast +32
Brightness -1
Color 0
Tint 0
Sharpness -2

Hue / Saturation / Value

R: +2 / -17 / -20
Y: +17 /+4 / 0
G: -9 / -15 / + 3
C: -3 / +2 / 0
B: +8 / 0 / +22
M: -5 / -2 / +3

Color Temp: Middle
R(LO) -11
G(LO)+5
B(LO)+6
R(HI)-6
G(HI)-8
B(HI)-2

Gamma -2

So as you can see, very different. I intend to try your settings in comparison, but would like you to comment on mine. Can you also please inform what the Colors (LO) (HI) do or mean?

Sharpness is another item of interest. On my unit, anything above 0 introduces noticeable artifacts. One way of setting this is to use the Contrast / Brightness settings on WOW, you can easily see the bright outline of the stars set even at 1. Also, and this may seem a bit strange, but when I set the sharpness to -10 (lowest setting) it seems that my TV offers superior motion without blurring, even though the picture is too dull.

Again, thx for your time & effort here.

anthony
TB1x9 is offline  
post #1274 of 1369 Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 AM
Newbie
 
TB1x9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Another question: would PC-Mode have the same characteristics as Game mode?
TB1x9 is offline  
post #1275 of 1369 Old 09-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Newbie
 
TB1x9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Z-Man, applied your Game settings to PC ... and compared it to my own. It showed that my WOW calibration method sets blues way to high. Your Game setting applied to my PC offers a far more natural tonality. I will tweak it a touch, but as it stands it's the best blu ray picture performance I've witnessed so far. It's important to note that PC and Game mode are the only two modes which sync (vocals/picture) well using my Stereo system.

It will be interesting to see how these new PC settings thru the eyes of the WOW disk ...
TB1x9 is offline  
post #1276 of 1369 Old 09-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Z-Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB1x9 View Post

Z-Man, applied your Game settings to PC ... and compared it to my own. It showed that my WOW calibration method sets blues way to high. Your Game setting applied to my PC offers a far more natural tonality. I will tweak it a touch, but as it stands it's the best blu ray picture performance I've witnessed so far. It's important to note that PC and Game mode are the only two modes which sync (vocals/picture) well using my Stereo system.

It will be interesting to see how these new PC settings thru the eyes of the WOW disk ...

Welcome to the forum and to the Sharp 640U family wink.gif
WOW disc is a neat calibration DVD that allows some basic by eye picture adjustments, particularly in sense of brightness and contrast and to a point overall saturation; but it can never substitute or come close to an actual/real calibration with a spectrometer and calibration software, which is how I calibrated my set, and how I arrived at those settings. Accordingly, I am glad they worked out for you as well (note that transferred settings normally do not transfer completely "perfectly" between sets, as each set is slightly different, but the settings should be generally in the ballpark and sometimes close to "perfect").

To your question about the RGB low and high values, they are for calibration of the gray-scale (high being for light grays and low for dark grays). This is one of the most important aspects of calibration as it creates properly balances grays that are your basic "canvas" of any TV image. When you take color down to zero, what are you left with? It's the grayscale (black&white) image. That image needs to be balanced in RGB values first (i.e. not pushing red or green or blue but being balanced for "perfect" grays and a perfect white) so that the applied color on top of it comes out right, the dark and light details look good, etc. These are the kind of things a WOW disc cannot help much... Hope this helps you some and enjoy your new TV smile.gif

Btw, the PC mode is closer to the movie mode and still has some SOE. I prefer the game mode instead, which is the only mode without fancy motion handling that creates unnatural motion, sound sync issues, etc...
Z-Mad is offline  
post #1277 of 1369 Old 10-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Newbie
 
TB1x9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Z-Mad,

Thank you for taking the time to reply and answer my questions. I'm a relative newbee to calibration so the WOW disk was a great educational tool & help. It worked, except when I use the blue filter as suggested, I don't get natural colors. I must be using it wrong!

I'll post my latest setting soon, the main difference between my latest settings and yours is basically trying to get a more natural red color. Reds seem too bright & with an unnatural purplish hue with your settings.

I'm still calibrating the tv using game mode.

Again, thx for your time & effort in helping others.

TB1
TB1x9 is offline  
post #1278 of 1369 Old 10-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Member
 
dee zee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Funny you say that, i had the same experience with the WOW disc. The blue wasn't quite right and I dialed it back a bit. The set looks great.
dee zee is offline  
post #1279 of 1369 Old 10-18-2013, 04:02 PM
Member
 
CaptainTiVO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, that's less than 1/2 of what I paid for it. Here are my comments:

1. I LOVE the size. I thought it would be too big but, with my viewing spot 13 feet from the screen, it is perfect.
2. The color is OK after I tweaked the "user" settings. Not great, not plasma but OK.
3. the off-access picture is awful. This means if you move a few feet to either side, the color is very washed out. Don't get this one if you need to watch from off access much.
4. people have complained about the speakers. Me, I use a separate AVR and big speakers. However, when I have tried the built-in speakers, they seem fine to me.
5. Size: it is a bit on the thick side and I have mine mounted on the wall. The newer models are very much thinner, if you care.

Other than that. I say go for it.

Hunter
CaptainTiVO is offline  
post #1280 of 1369 Old 10-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Newbie
 
NomisR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi Guys,

 
New here, saw a LC80LE642U at Costco, is that pretty much the same as the LE640U series or is there something extra to it?  Seem like it's not an Edge Lit like the LE650Us.
 
Thanks

 

NomisR is offline  
post #1281 of 1369 Old 10-28-2013, 11:02 PM
Newbie
 
theor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey Folks. I have the LC-70C6400U. I love the panel but the firmware has me pulling hair.

 

Anyone else have their Netflix PQ go to hell since Netflix recently rolled out SuperHD?

 

My connection is fast, (30mbps), and Netflix works fine on other devices.

 

But after that rollout, the Sharp built in app, now plays back in really low res. It's basically unwatchable.

 

I have the latest firmware too. (or so the TV reports when I run the setup )

theor is offline  
post #1282 of 1369 Old 11-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Member
 
mjweimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 80LE642U is also available at my local Sam's Club for a reasonable price. Looking at the specs it seems to be very similar to the 80LE632U being full array and 120Hz refresh but has a 4M:1 contrast ratio versus the 632's 6M:1. I also noted that the pictures of the 642 show that it uses the same chassis as the 632 as well as the 844 so that may bode well for performance. Sharp does not list anything about this model on their web site so it still remains a bit of a mystery if this is old stock or a special run of sets built for wholesale clubs. There is also very little in the way of information on the set when you Google the model number.

I would be interested in learning more from anyone "in the know".


Quote:
Originally Posted by NomisR View Post

Hi Guys,
 
New here, saw a LC80LE642U at Costco, is that pretty much the same as the LE640U series or is there something extra to it?  Seem like it's not an Edge Lit like the LE650Us.
 
Thanks
mjweimer is offline  
post #1283 of 1369 Old 11-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Z-Mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjweimer View Post

The 80LE642U is also available at my local Sam's Club for a reasonable price. Looking at the specs it seems to be very similar to the 80LE632U being full array and 120Hz refresh but has a 4M:1 contrast ratio versus the 632's 6M:1. I also noted that the pictures of the 642 show that it uses the same chassis as the 632 as well as the 844 so that may bode well for performance. Sharp does not list anything about this model on their web site so it still remains a bit of a mystery if this is old stock or a special run of sets built for wholesale clubs. There is also very little in the way of information on the set when you Google the model number.

I would be interested in learning more from anyone "in the know".

As someone who has done business with Costco and similar club retailers, I can tell you that most companies create these special versions of their products that usually involve cutting a few corners here and there to hit a very special and low price point that Costco and such retailers demand. Otherwise, brands would be hurting their business with all the other retailers if literally identical product was available at Costco considerably cheaper than at most other retailers. So you are generally getting "slimmed-down" versions at Costco, and in case of electronics it can sometimes be difficult to recognize where the "slimming-down" occurred, as you recognized too. In my view, the "real" product as intended by a brand company is in other stores (hence only the "real" versions are supported on company websites, etc.), and the versions at Costco are afterthought products that were created by saying "we can make this cheaper, and we can cut this or that out and hit the price point"... Now, that's not to say that these may not be decent TV's still, but they are not the same as the "proper" versions at regular retailers that are not discounters/clubs. I'd suggest looking through detailed specs, maybe seeing an owner's manual if a sales person has one available to show, and digging into the details of the specs (if at all possible). Bottom line, a model like LE642U at Costco is a slimmed down version of the regular LE640U. Where the slimming occurred I don't know, but hopefully you can find out before making your purchase... Good luck .
Z-Mad is offline  
post #1284 of 1369 Old 11-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Member
 
mjweimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Z-Mad - thank you for the well informed and insightful reply.

In this case I think the 642u is definitely a new low price-point set created from bits and pieces of older technology (FYI - build dates on all of the sets in the store are Sept. 13).

I was able to speak with a Sharp representative who directed me to their Canadian website to download the owners manual and spec manual.

Reading through the info carefully and comparing it to the spec sheet for the 632u you can determine that both models share the chassis, inputs and GUI. The big difference seems to be in the panels and associated drivers. If you trust the provided info it shows both sets to be full array backlit but the 642 lacks the X-gen/ultra brilliant tech in the 632 (which is the main reason that set is so highly regarded).

At this point I'm torn between an 80" 6500u and the 642u - they are within $300 of each other and seem to have exactly the same features excepting the backlighting. I did manage to find a display model 632 at a local Wally world for a killer price but that generates a whole other set of concerns.
mjweimer is offline  
post #1285 of 1369 Old 11-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Newbie
 
medicrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Langley, BC, Canada
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this in the 650u forum as well as I have a lc60le650u, but thought I would ask the same question here in case somone has any experience with this same issue. Past few days upon turning on the tv, the channel, menu and Netflix buttons don't function. If tv turned off and unplugged from the wall for 30 sec and replugged in and turned back on, the aforementioned butttons work as per normal. Anyone have any thoughts. Waiting for reply from Sharp. Is there a tv reboot or system reset? Appreciate any help......and big thank you to zmad and couple of others for the time put into your posted calibrations. thanks
medicrob is offline  
post #1286 of 1369 Old 11-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Newbie
 
medicrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Langley, BC, Canada
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

As someone who has done business with Costco and similar club retailers, I can tell you that most companies create these special versions of their products that usually involve cutting a few corners here and there to hit a very special and low price point that Costco and such retailers demand. Otherwise, brands would be hurting their business with all the other retailers if literally identical product was available at Costco considerably cheaper than at most other retailers. So you are generally getting "slimmed-down" versions at Costco, and in case of electronics it can sometimes be difficult to recognize where the "slimming-down" occurred, as you recognized too. In my view, the "real" product as intended by a brand company is in other stores (hence only the "real" versions are supported on company websites, etc.), and the versions at Costco are afterthought products that were created by saying "we can make this cheaper, and we can cut this or that out and hit the price point"... Now, that's not to say that these may not be decent TV's still, but they are not the same as the "proper" versions at regular retailers that are not discounters/clubs. I'd suggest looking through detailed specs, maybe seeing an owner's manual if a sales person has one available to show, and digging into the details of the specs (if at all possible). Bottom line, a model like LE642U at Costco is a slimmed down version of the regular LE640U. Where the slimming occurred I don't know, but hopefully you can find out before making your purchase... Good luck .
medicrob is offline  
post #1287 of 1369 Old 11-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Newbie
 
medicrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Langley, BC, Canada
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicrob View Post

As to the previously asked question as to what the model from Costco has that is different from the non big box store model...with regards to the models lc60le650u/ lc60c650u, refer to the online manuals and picture of the back components panel. There are either less or none of the specific hdmi(arc, mhl), rca, audio(rca & 3.5mm) in/ out, usb, component, optic or vga connections. This might be important to some to allow for more flexility in their own specific electronic equipment. The "le" version allows for many more specific connections and greater connectivity of components and peripherals. hope that helps you in your question in addition to zmads.
medicrob is offline  
post #1288 of 1369 Old 01-03-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smokarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hartford, CT USA
Posts: 3,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post

Joe, appreciate your post. You and your TV are certainly welcome biggrin.gif

To your point on referencing the settings easier, here are the links as of Sept. 2013 (meaning I might check the settings again sometime in the future to recalibrate for any panel shifts, etc.).

These I consider my reference settings for 640U models (calibrated using Calman 5 with X-Rite i1Display Pro meter):

640U GAME MODE SETTINGS

640U MOVIE MODE SETTINGS


For 650U models my previous movie mode settings were reported to look good on some sets - these settings are HERE. Note: these settings were for 640U and were not calibrated on a 650U model, so they may or may not work on some sets, as with any shared settings...

Enjoy!



Thanks for this.

Just got myself a 60" 650U unit. I do have an i1D3 and HCFR, but I'll start with your settings and tweak it from there.

Z-Mad, in your opinion. What are the biggest differences between the Movie and Game mode? I usually calibrate on Movie/Cinema mode (projectors), as those generally give you the most accurate colors/gamma to start with.

Also, are greyscale/gamma settings specific to each mode? Or are they universally applied across all modes?

Thanks
smokarz is online now  
post #1289 of 1369 Old 01-04-2014, 09:31 AM
Member
 
theride66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Smokers, can you share your settings?
theride66 is offline  
post #1290 of 1369 Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
smokarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hartford, CT USA
Posts: 3,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I don't have the TV yet. I'll be getting it delivered next week.

I'll post settings once I got a chance to calibrate it.
smokarz is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le640u 60 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off