Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1369 Old 05-01-2014, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlal View Post

Same white spots behavior on my original set (lower left), got a BRAND new set in July (LC70C6400C)... but same white spots appeared last month.

Not sure how Sharp Canada will deal with it ghis time around !?

Willkeep you posted...

It's strange that it's happening in the same place on our sets. Wonder if it's something behind the panel in that particular area leading to these spots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1369 Old 05-02-2014, 10:17 AM

Liked: 10
Interesting visit to Costco the other day. I was looking at the sharp demos that they had out and all of them had this problem. I can not believe that they would have these out on display. These were not minor problems but very easy to see, major problems. Sharp is now sending me a new 6500 after a lot of talking. At Costco the 6500 had this problem. I will wait and see what this new set brings. This is a problem that develops with time and is not there out of the box. It seems as though Sharp has a problem with this screen. Good luck with your TV.
post #1353 of 1369 Old 05-14-2014, 06:38 PM

No luck, my set is off warranty, oh well, guess we will live with the white spots !
post #1354 of 1369 Old 05-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have a Vizio E701i TV . I've read that Vizio uses Sharp panels and I'm on my 3rd set that is also developing white spots. Vizio tells everyone that this is rare although every store I go in the display has them. Does Sharp act like you're the first to come to them with this problem?
post #1355 of 1369 Old 05-15-2014, 09:06 AM

Hi guys !

I'm sure this has been answered before, just can't seem to find it with the search tool (!)

With the LE6400U series, should I set the PS3 BD 1080p 24Hz output setting to ON or OFF ?

Does it make any difference at all watching blu-rays ?

Thanks !
post #1356 of 1369 Old 05-15-2014, 09:43 PM

Sharp must be aware of this. When I sent them pictures of my screen they sent out a refurbished set right away. I think some people are just living with it or are oblivious. Sharp has been very polite but are staying on message when I talk to them, no opinion, just the facts and what they can and can't do. I just can not get over that they have these sets out on display.
post #1357 of 1369 Old 06-08-2014, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
With all the complaints about the white lights and the number of returns I'm really surprised that their is not a class action lawsuit. It really is ridiculous. As long as a person is eligible to return it to the place they purchased it, it really isn't a big deal. The moment you are out of warranty and start having to take pictures then the madness begins.
post #1358 of 1369 Old 07-27-2014, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So my TV has just developed the "white spots". It is a LC-70LE640U purchased back in October of 2012, so it is out of warranty. From reading threads on here and other AV forums the problem looks to be widespread. I have two questions that I couldn't really find answers for:

1. Is it repairable?
2. Has anyone gotten a repair or replacement after their warranty expired?

Thanks
post #1359 of 1369 Old 07-27-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectevolution View Post
So my TV has just developed the "white spots". It is a LC-70LE640U purchased back in October of 2012, so it is out of warranty. From reading threads on here and other AV forums the problem looks to be widespread. I have two questions that I couldn't really find answers for:

1. Is it repairable?
2. Has anyone gotten a repair or replacement after their warranty expired?

Thanks
I'm seeing too many reports of the white spots including on the 650 series. I went with a SquareTrade EW so I'm not nervous. May I suggest you call Sharp and see how they handle the situation. Be nice and say you see from your research that this seems to be a recurring problem that has hit you. My last TV a Mits Diamond DLP had the DMD fail out of warranty AND my Best Buy EW. They knew the problem was chronic and split the repair, they sent the chip I paid the labor, both were about $200. When the set started to die again less than a year after that I got the Sharp.
Good luck!!

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1360 of 1369 Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My Sharp (one in question) has gradually developed a white "milky" looking picture. Now, I have to use Dynamic mode just to make it watchable. It was great with the CNET setting as modified by some suggestions on this forum. It is only 2 years old and I watch 4 hours a day average. Is this similar to what others are describing? Should I call Sharp?

Memphis Home Builder
post #1361 of 1369 Old 07-28-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
I'm seeing too many reports of the white spots including on the 650 series. I went with a SquareTrade EW so I'm not nervous. May I suggest you call Sharp and see how they handle the situation. Be nice and say you see from your research that this seems to be a recurring problem that has hit you. My last TV a Mits Diamond DLP had the DMD fail out of warranty AND my Best Buy EW. They knew the problem was chronic and split the repair, they sent the chip I paid the labor, both were about $200. When the set started to die again less than a year after that I got the Sharp.
Good luck!!
Good advise, and how I will proceed. I did call Sharp last evening and started the process. I'm waiting for my case email so I can send in pictures. I'm hoping they'll work with me on this.
joe221 likes this.
post #1362 of 1369 Old 07-28-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
My Sharp (one in question) has gradually developed a white "milky" looking picture. Now, I have to use Dynamic mode just to make it watchable. It was great with the CNET setting as modified by some suggestions on this forum. It is only 2 years old and I watch 4 hours a day average. Is this similar to what others are describing? Should I call Sharp?
This thread has some good pictures on the white dots issue: white speckles on sharp 650u series tv

I'm not sure if the "milky" picture is related or not. Part of the difficulty with these types of issues is that Sharp will ask for pictures, but it is hard to capture the problem in pictures. You can see it plain as day, but taking pictures that capture it is difficult.
post #1363 of 1369 Old 08-08-2014, 09:56 AM

A quick update to my TV situation.

I sent pictures to Sharp and they are offering me a newer model refurbished unit for what I consider a very reasonable price. So I am going forward with that offer. They do not have any reurbs in stock, so I will wait to see how quickly that gets filled. But in my opinion, Sharp has been very good to work with and very reasonable in their offered solution.

While I wait for an ETA on the refurb, I may check one other avenue that I hadn't though of initially, but most credit card purchases on electronics automatically extend the warranty. So, from my purchase time frame, I would still be under the credit cards extended warranty. Now that I know what Sharp is willing to do for me, I am likely to go through the process with the credit card company and see how that goes and what they are willing to do for me.

So all in all I am pleased with how things have gone and am hoping the final resolution goes smoothly as well.
post #1364 of 1369 Old 08-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
A quick update to my TV situation.

I sent pictures to Sharp and they are offering me a newer model refurbished unit for what I consider a very reasonable price. So I am going forward with that offer. They do not have any reurbs in stock, so I will wait to see how quickly that gets filled. But in my opinion, Sharp has been very good to work with and very reasonable in their offered solution.

While I wait for an ETA on the refurb, I may check one other avenue that I hadn't though of initially, but most credit card purchases on electronics automatically extend the warranty. So, from my purchase time frame, I would still be under the credit cards extended warranty. Now that I know what Sharp is willing to do for me, I am likely to go through the process with the credit card company and see how that goes and what they are willing to do for me.

So all in all I am pleased with how things have gone and am hoping the final resolution goes smoothly as well.
If you are happy with that, certainly enjoy the next set once you get it. Personally, I just think it's BS (provided the TV is still under warranty) for Sharp to tell you "we'll give you a refurb, but we don't have one now, so wait with your defective TV until someone out there decides the TV is not good for them and returns it!!!" The fact that it will be a refurb alone means that someone had a reason to return it. I would have been firm in demanding that they fix the situation immediately, and if they don't have a refurb, then they should provide a new TV if they are not willing to come out and fix the current one. Anyway, that's just me; I don't mean to make you "unhappy" with the solution if you are ok with it
joe221 likes this.
post #1365 of 1369 Old 08-08-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post
If you are happy with that, certainly enjoy the next set once you get it. Personally, I just think it's BS (provided the TV is still under warranty) for Sharp to tell you "we'll give you a refurb, but we don't have one now, so wait with your defective TV until someone out there decides the TV is not good for them and returns it!!!" The fact that it will be a refurb alone means that someone had a reason to return it. I would have been firm in demanding that they fix the situation immediately, and if they don't have a refurb, then they should provide a new TV if they are not willing to come out and fix the current one. Anyway, that's just me; I don't mean to make you "unhappy" with the solution if you are ok with it
I am out of warranty by almost a year (TV was bought in October 2012 with 1 year warranty). If I was still in warranty I would certainly not be happy at all if that was their offer and agree with you 100%.
post #1366 of 1369 Old 08-08-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I am out of warranty by almost a year (TV was bought in October 2012 with 1 year warranty). If I was still in warranty I would certainly not be happy at all if that was their offer and agree with you 100%.
And did you use an Amex or other warranty extending card. Please say Amex...

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #1367 of 1369 Old 08-08-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
And did you use an Amex or other warranty extending card. Please say Amex...
Bought on a Master Card so I do have an extended warranty to October 2014. I'm in process of gathering the paperwork and I'll see what MC will do.
joe221 likes this.
post #1368 of 1369 Old 08-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Got ya... That makes more sense now... So how does the Master Card extended warranty work? Before Sharp sends you some random refurb, maybe you are eligible to get an equivalent new set? I have never used the credit card warranty, but would be interested to know how it works in this case. Do share if you don't mind and good luck
post #1369 of 1369 Old 08-25-2014, 01:36 PM

My Amazon.com Review: August 25th 2014

I purchased a Sharp LC-70LE650U, to replace a 5 year old Panasonic Plasma TC-P65S1. I loved the picture on my Panny, but my living room is too bright, and I was always frustrated with screen glare.

When I got my new Sharp setup, my heart sunk when I saw the picture. My friend and I (both audio-video nuts) were shaking our heads trying to imagine how Sharp could release a product with such horrible factory defaults. I tried to convince myself not to get too excited, as I was already aware of this fact from reading comments/reviews. That said, I was hoping people were just exaggerating. They weren’t.

Next, I configured the video parameters using popular CNET calibration settings, as I figured this would serve as a good starting point:

AV Mode: Movie
OPC: Off
Backlight: -6
Contrast: +30
Brightness: 0
Color 0:
Tint 0
Sharpness 0
--Advanced Menu
CMS -Hue
R: -3, Y: 0, G: 0, C: 0, B: 0, M: 0
CMS -Saturation R +4 Y -1 G -4 C 0 B 0 M 0
C.M.S. -Value
[all zero]
Color Temp: greyed out
10 point setting: On
+1: 0, 0, 0
+2: +12, +3, 0
+3: +15, +11, +2
+4: +2, -2, -3
+5: +1, +1, -1
+6: +1, +1, 0
+7: +2, -2, -4
+8: -7, -1, -6
+9: +4, 0, -2
+10: -5, 0, 0
Motion Enhancement Off
Active Contrast Off
Gamma Adjustment -2
Film Mode Std
Digital Noise Reduction Off
Monochrome Off
Range of OPC Max +16
Min -10
---------------
I popped in a BluRay - The Powerful Oz - which provides a lot of color, and thus would give me a good sense for what this TV was capable of color-wise. The CNET settings helped settle things down a bit, but reds were still way overblown. I wish I were exaggerating. I was very close to bringing the TV back.

Alas, I figured I would give it one last try. Despite my concerns with doing so, I adjusted the CMS –Saturation parameter to -25 (Max of -30). It seems crazy to me that I would have to go to this extent, but it was absolutely necessary. I put popped in another Blu-Ray - Inception - and to my relief, reds were no longer making my eyes bleed. The starlet in the film wears a burgundy-red coat, and the coat looked perfect. I can only hope this is something that won't get worse.
--------------
Once I did the above, the picture actually looks very nice. Blacks are deep for an LCD panel, and colors are rich. This TV is capable of a bright picture, which when coupled with the (semi) Matte finish of the screen resulted in a big improvement over my old plasma, which was essentially unwatchable in my living space.
--------------
One last thing worth mentioning – I did see the lip sync issue people are talking about right before I went to bed. I saw it while using my Roku as the source. I don’t know what resolved it (cannot recall), but the problem disappeared, and never reappeared last night.
--------------
OK all, I’ll post an update once I get a Disney WOW calibration disc, and really put the TV through it’s paces.

Best of Luck!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc52le640u Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le640u 60 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le640u 70 Inch Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page