Which LED tv's will have the most uniform screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 03-11-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the market for a new tv and am wanting to find out which led tv's have the most uniform screen. I bought a Samsung un46d7000 but returned it due to the horrible screen uniformity issues and flash lighting/clouding. I am considering looking at the LG 47LM9600 when they come out due to it's full array led and local dimming feature. I also am looking at a Panasonic 50GT50 when they come out as well. I have a fairly bright room so I would like to stay LED if possible. Are there any edge lit led tv's that have uniform screens or do all edge lit tv's have this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-11-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Those are the typical issues of all models with the edge LED backlighting.
I got a CCFL backlit Samsung model that doesn't have the fashlighting or clouding - excellent uniformity.
Plasmas also have the best uniformity and the newer models like the Panasonic ST50 and above have good light reflection filter.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Strangely enough, I would start by staying away from the high-end/flagship models and actually looking at the middle to low-end. What you should look for is a TV where it's clear that "thin" was not the design priority.

The other problem that you're going to run into is that many of the high end LED LCDs are attempting to achieve Plasma-like black levels by dimming the LEDs. This often induces flashlighting or blooming artifacts, apparently even on Sharp Elite televisions (the most expensive LCDs money can buy).

If I can give you any advice... take a good hard look at Plasmas. I tried to upgrade from my current LCD (2006) and all I saw was disappointment. The advent of 3D and emphasis on "thin and light" has really ruined LCD, IMO. This is probably the TV that is going to hold you over until OLED has matured, and from what I can tell, PQ matters to you. You can play LCD roulette, but Plasma might be the best (if not only) option for those who give a damn about PQ these days. That said, I'm still checking out the 2012 LCD models to see if there are any options.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #4 of 20 Old 03-12-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. PQ is very important to me and flash lighting/clouding gets on my nerves.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
leds with full arrays will have, for example hx929, better uniformity than its edge lit brethren.......
post #6 of 20 Old 03-13-2012, 04:52 AM

The new Samsung EH LED series have uniform screens (because they aren't edge-lit).
post #7 of 20 Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

The other problem that you're going to run into is that many of the high end LED LCDs are attempting to achieve Plasma-like black levels by dimming the LEDs. This often induces flashlighting or blooming artifacts, apparently even on Sharp Elite televisions (the most expensive LCDs money can buy).

Simply not true about the Elite.. No blooming or clouding as been proven by numerous reviews. The best black levels of any TV including Plasma is an Elite LED with MLL readings of .0004. Also, the best contrast ratio of any TV with an ANSI reading in the upwards of 15k:1 vs the closest plasma at 6600:1. Enough said ;-) I would agree with you if you were talking about the Sony 929, but the Elite is clearly a nonissue.

Living Room: Elite Pro 70X5FD, Oppo BDP-93 Blu ray Player, and Yamaha Aventage RA-3000 A/V Receiver, Panamax M5300-PM, PS3 (60GB Fatty), XBOX 360 Elite 250GB, Nintendo Wii, XBOX HD DVD player, Logitech Harmony 1100 Remote

Bedroom: Samsung LNS4695 (First 1080P TV from Samsung) Pioneer Elite...

post #8 of 20 Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike Fury View Post

Simply not true about the Elite.. No blooming or clouding as been proven by numerous reviews. The best black levels of any TV including Plasma is an Elite LED with MLL readings of .0004. Also, the best contrast ratio of any TV with an ANSI reading in the upwards of 15k:1 vs the closest plasma at 6600:1. Enough said ;-) I would agree with you if you were talking about the Sony 929, but the Elite is clearly a nonissue.

Not true about the Elite not haveing blooming (see it in rolling credits). I spent a lot of time with the 70" and it clearly does has some issues, besides the cyan and plusing. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic tv and most likely one of the very best currently out. The Sony 929 has better pop with color and no cyan issue when compaired side by side against the Elite. And I noticed at times the Sony did have better contrast then the Elite with some movies (Dark Knight I noticed the duct work in the basement celing was much better on the Sony). Both sets calibrated per cnet settings, running both out at the same time on a Anthem D2v. I watched the entire shoot out and I agree they did a fantastic job rating the tv's. I put in the time and did a side by side comparison between two top of the line sets. Both had issues. No tv out now does not. I'm not saying the Sony is better than the Elite or Elite is better than the 929. Personal choice what pleases you. Both great sets.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #9 of 20 Old 03-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike Fury View Post

CNETs review mentions blooming artifacts, as did Engadget HD on the 2012 elites at CES.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #10 of 20 Old 03-13-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamajas13 View Post

Thanks for the replies. PQ is very important to me and flash lighting/clouding gets on my nerves.

Since PQ is very important to you then a high-end Panasonic plasma is your best option today. Also, consider the Sharp Elite LCD if money is no concern (I really hate saying "Sharp" and "Elite" in the same sentence).
post #11 of 20 Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post

Since PQ is very important to you then a high-end Panasonic plasma is your best option today. Also, consider the Sharp Elite LCD if money is no concern (I really hate saying "Sharp" and "Elite" in the same sentence).

Sony XBR65HX929 should also be considered.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #12 of 20 Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Sony XBR65HX929 should also be considered.

Sorry, I disagree, the 65" HX929 has issues with vertical banding more or less evident in every panel I have seen. (search the official thread for details).
post #13 of 20 Old 03-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntIce View Post

Sorry, I disagree, the 65" HX929 has issues with vertical banding more or less evident in every panel I have seen. (search the official thread for details).

Sorry burntice, but I dissagree...vertical banding more or less eveident in every panel? You must be a banding magnet when you look at these

The sony thread does not speak of the banding issue as much as your pressing. Folks, do a search on banding to find out how few have brought the issue up.

Sorry you have banding issues with your 65". Bummer there!
The banding issues were more prevalent on the earlier XBR units. The tread even speaks of some of the units that had banding, the banding disappeared after a while; and that the later units being more banding free. The 65" I had did not have any banding issues, nor did I notice any flashlighting or clouding at all. Lucky guy I guess.

Only issue I found on the XBR65HX929 was some blooming, and even the Elite has blooming too.
My findings were noted prior in this thread.

bamajas13,
As far as which led tv's have the most uniform screen, ones that have full array, local dimming. Rumor has it the LG 47LM9600 may not be coming to market this year. Plasma have the best uniform screen.

post #14 of 20 Old 03-14-2012, 05:15 AM

Take a look at the Sony HX820 too. Edge lit but very good uniformity, mine is just about perfect with consideration to the limitations of LED edge-lighting.

post #15 of 20 Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

My first LED the Samsung UN55C8000 has horrific screen uniformity. Its a dead center TV.

But it was cheap and the styling was great. Most likely my last LED unless they can solve this issue.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-14-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Sorry burntice, but I dissagree...vertical banding more or less eveident in every panel? You must be a banding magnet when you look at these

The sony thread does not speak of the banding issue as much as your pressing. Folks, do a search on banding to find out how few have brought the issue up.

Sorry you have banding issues with your 65". Bummer there!
The banding issues were more prevalent on the earlier XBR units. The tread even speaks of some of the units that had banding, the banding disappeared after a while; and that the later units being more banding free. The 65" I had did not have any banding issues, nor did I notice any flashlighting or clouding at all. Lucky guy I guess.

Lucky you indeed (or unlucky me!). The reality is that, like yourself I have no doubt, I talk from my own experience with this model. This is my third set, all three exhibited the same vertical bands placed in the same pattern the photos other user posted earlier in the official thread (one of the first owners to get the set and publish pics in the thread, and the first to bring the issue to light, if I remember well). I made 2 exchanges on the hope newer builds would raise my chances to obtain a banding-free set. Not in my case. My first set was an October 2011 build and my actual one was fabricated Jan. 2012. I was allowed to inspect two other brand new sets in store by my vendor before attempting a 3rd exchange. Same banding. The thing is the issue can be "hidden" in some programming but a hockey game or any solid color in a panning scene will show it. The only review I have read in the net which test especifically the 65" model even mention this banding issue (it's a test by the french site hdfever.fr).

About the bands getting lighter with time I read this too posted by an owner. I don't know if he affirmed they completely disappeared, just remember reading he didn't noticed them anymore which is what matters. I have read comments by owners which affirm they don't have the banding like yourself and I believe you. Others like me have had several sets that all exhibit the problem. From my experience newer sets aren't more banding-free, it's a matter of luck still. In any case my recommendation regarding the 65HX929 is inspecting before purchase if possible or make sure you can make an exchange if not satisfied.
post #17 of 20 Old 09-20-2012, 02:34 AM

For me vertical or horizontal banding is the worst defect you can get, more than clouding or backlight bleed.

I just bought LG LM760s 47 inch and it has very noticable vertical and horizontal banding it is noticable on soccer, golf... when camera pans

If that tv didnt have those issues it would be perfect, but those vertical lines are driving me crazy because i watch soccer more than anything else.

If i only knew that lines will dissapear, but i doubt it will.
post #18 of 20 Old 09-20-2012, 03:52 AM

For me vertical or horizontal banding is the worst defect you can get, more than clouding or backlight bleed.

I just bought LG LM760s 47 inch and it has very noticable vertical and horizontal banding it is noticable on soccer, golf... when camera pans

If that tv didnt have those issues it would be perfect, but those vertical lines are driving me crazy because i watch soccer more than anything else.

If i only knew that lines will dissapear, but i doubt it will.
post #19 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a Samsung 81F local dimming led tv and a LG LV 9500 nano led local dimming TV and maybe I got lucky,but nether of these TV'S have any banding!
post #20 of 20 Old 01-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Good test here for these issues...http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NxWeH-M3O6M

[ /S]
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr46hx929 46 Inch 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version