post #301 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by slreno View Post

hehehe, he doesnt mean "torch mode" per se. "torch mode" means, back light cranked up past 15 to 20. contrast cranked up to 90 to 100. and brightnes cranked up to 90 to 100.. meaning very bright "torch mode"

i would bet you have settings very high also, i have almost the same exact model (un55es7500) and it is no where NEAR what yours looks like. it is visible on mine but not to the point of distracting and only on an all black screen or black side bars, black side bars which i try to avoid at all cost anyway, hate them!

my settings are
backlight=10
contrast= 82
brightness= 50

the screen shouldn't have any amount of clouding, it has ultimate micro dimming. Which according to some here is far better then edge local dimming. My d8000 doesn't have clouding or flashlighting even in 3d mode with the backlight maxed out at 20, same as my c8000. I'm just saying tho.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
can someone with the es8000 please let me know if you are able to find and download the mog music app from samsung apps.. it is not on the es75000 yet and i used that almost everyday! kind of bummed for now until there is an update for it..
post #303 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 12:37 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For whatever it's worth department. I have been very interested in the es8000 but after reading the discouraging words about the off angle viewing I was about to give up on it so right after lunch I went by our local Best Buy and they had an es8000 on display. I didn't have a chance to fool with it and I don't know what the settings were but it was not in a torch mode but it was still very bright and lively. I spent several minutes going back and forth in front of it looking from different angles of viewing and much to my surprise there wasn't the quick wash out or loss of color I expected to see. I did see the loss as I moved further to the side but again not nearly as quickly as I thought would happen. Nothing more than a quick observation but still encouraging.
post #304 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post

For whatever it's worth department. I have been very interested in the es8000 but after reading the discouraging words about the off angle viewing I was about to give up on it so right after lunch I went by our local Best Buy and they had an es8000 on display. I didn't have a chance to fool with it and I don't know what the settings were but it was not in a torch mode but it was still very bright and lively. I spent several minutes going back and forth in front of it looking from different angles of viewing and much to my surprise there wasn't the quick wash out or loss of color I expected to see. I did see the loss as I moved further to the side but again not nearly as quickly as I thought would happen. Nothing more than a quick observation but still encouraging.

i seen the tv at my local pc richerd's and son just a few day's ago ,and the pq was just reallly reallly good.i mean i did see from the side the tv does get a little very very very little washed out ,but really in all realness who is going to watch the tv from the side let alone if u are near the side who watch's tv like that i sure dont i look dead on center .so for me i think it's more of a very very very extream low ,thing for me to say that there viewing is hard to watch ,its no big deal with a few calabration and 200 hour's or less or a brake in the tv should be perfect like everything else we but tec.
post #305 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I did my viewing at BB also. Next time your there, put the display in movie, or any other setting; bring up any Blu-ray movie. Find a scene where there is a good amount of black and some color too. Pause the scene. Stand back 10', standing dead center of the screen. While looking at the paused scene, move to the left or right only two feet and watch how it gets washed out. I found that the contrast looked better two feet off angle. Watch as you move back to center and see the blacks and color come back and the contrast will not be as good as off center. WHAT?

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #306 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph10704 View Post

i seen the tv at my local pc richerd's and son just a few day's ago ,and the pq was just reallly reallly good.i mean i did see from the side the tv does get a little very very very little washed out ,but really in all realness who is going to watch the tv from the side let alone if u are near the side who watch's tv like that i sure dont i look dead on center .so for me i think it's more of a very very very extream low ,thing for me to say that there viewing is hard to watch ,its no big deal with a few calabration and 200 hour's or less or a brake in the tv should be perfect like everything else we but tec.

I agree, the picture when standing directly in front of it is...really really good.
I disagree, very very very little washed out...it is extremely washed out. Read the post I left above this one, then go back to BB and see if your findings are the same.

Who is going to watch the tv from the side? Well the side in which we are all concerned about is how far off angle are we watching from. Three people sitting on a sofa next to each other should be able to see the same picture quality. Not just the person in the center. This is Samsungs top of the line set with their newest micro dimming ultimate and software. Yet only one person, who ever is dead center can see the picture quality? Reminds me of what we write on post cards, "wish you were here!" Someday a stand up comic will use this in his act...Three guys are watching a movie on a Samsung ES8000 tv. So the guy in the middle of the sofa turns to the other two guys sitting next to him, shoulders touching...wish you were here!

Running the tv for x number of hours is not going to fix viewing angle. Calibration will dial in color, hue, motion, etc. not viewing angle.

My suggestion about putting a movie in pause is to easily see when stepping off angle, how little one need to move over and how much it deteriorates the more you move over.

I'm posting on this tread, because we want all want to know the good and not so good about all the tv's we are interested in, like this Samsung ES series. Brands tell us about all the new features and improvement they have made in the new and improved model. But when we actually eyeball it, we decide if it's true or snake oil sales pitch. My view of this set, as I've now posted a few times is the viewing is not acceptable to....me. Others it may not be a concern. But for others like me who are looking for the best of the best, Elite, Sony, Samsung for example, the deciding factor is not the cost of these top of the line tv's, but the performance...which in a catch 22 is what they are clearly charging for.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #307 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 PM

hmmm, we are now pausing video and moving off center to check wash out? whats the purpose? i certainly do not watch tv paused nor do i pause it to try to find flaws?
can you see this flaw while watching live tv or bluray? that would be more of a usable observation, to me anyway.
i can stand to the side of the tv with my eyes 3 inches from corner screen and see the led backlights like crazy, but why?
not bashing your post, to each his own, how ever you want to rate it. just trying to see the purpose of going to an extreme to find a flaw?

i have to admit i have a small amount of clouding flashlighting, but i do not see any wash out unless i am off center by about 4 or 5 foot and then it is minimal.

it would also seem that the processors that are built in to eliminate anything like this can not or are not doing their job when it is paused? seems they would be in a standby mode while paused? am i wrong on this?
post #308 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph10704 View Post

I can't say i have seen the ES8000, but not everyone is able to sit dead centre of the screen. Living room layout dictates seating position.

In my living room there is a seat off to the right which is off axes to the screen, from this position the screen does look a little washed out. Yes i get to sit straight on but not everyone has that option.

So maybe its worth giving it a little thought to others arrangements other than your own before posting. I mean that in the politest way.

Aaron
post #309 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

My d8000 doesn't have clouding or flashlighting even in 3d mode with the backlight maxed out at 20, same as my c8000. I'm just saying tho.

you're 1 of the lucky few. u should go buy a lotto ticket while you're @ it!
post #310 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

I agree, the picture when standing directly in front of it is...really really good.
I disagree, very very very little washed out...it is extremely washed out. Read the post I left above this one, then go back to BB and see if your findings are the same.

THE picture become washed out as u become like real close to the tv but that wiht every tv u do that with i mean how far away to u say from the tv me i am 6 feet or more away from my tv ,and its a LCD 2007 SAMSUNG tv that i got ,and it;s not even top of the line its like normal middle range .but still from what i been reading with the right calabration disc used and some time on your hand's u can fix most of these problems while there still going to be there at the ednof the day to me it's still a tv and it's still a wonderful picture to look at ,besides that point would u rather have uniformity problems like last year's D8000 or just have side view minor problem's me lol i take the second choice if i had to.
post #311 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

you're 1 of the lucky few. u should go buy a lotto ticket while you're @ it!

hahah i was about to post a response almost like this one lefty! but thought i might get slack from everyone and said naaaa i'll let it ride
post #312 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

I can't say i have seen the ES8000, but not everyone is able to sit dead centre of the screen. Living room layout dictates seating position.

In my living room there is a seat off to the right which is off axes to the screen, from this position the screen does look a little washed out. Yes i get to sit straight on but not everyone has that option.

So maybe its worth giving it a little thought to others arrangements other than your own before posting. I mean that in the politest way.

Aaron

we all have are ow thought's but hey it's just what i think everyone can think different and i am fine with that, to me tho it's not a very very big deal to worry about when there much important thing's to worry about on a tv like unifomity problem's not that this tv has them anymore from what i been reading .
post #313 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:

the screen shouldn't have any amount of clouding, it has ultimate micro dimming. Which according to some here is far better then edge local dimming. My d8000 doesn't have clouding or flashlighting even in 3d mode with the backlight maxed out at 20, same as my c8000. I'm just saying tho.

Mine is the same, I have the backlight at around 17 and it looks great, no clouding or flashlighting. One way I have found to really make the blacks look great is to put the gamma at -3 and the black levels to darkest. You really get the vibrant colors with the backlight high and the darks as dark as the can be.
post #314 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balla01 View Post

One way I have found to really make the blacks look great is to put the gamma at -3 and the black levels to darkest. You really get the vibrant colors with the backlight high and the darks as dark as the can be.

no black crush? u would lose a lot of the variants of the various shades of black with settings like that.

dark as dark, even with the lights off? usually on most 7, 8 series they're exposed with a dark room.
post #315 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balla01 View Post

Mine is the same, I have the backlight at around 17 and it looks great, no clouding or flashlighting. One way I have found to really make the blacks look great is to put the gamma at -3 and the black levels to darkest. You really get the vibrant colors with the backlight high and the darks as dark as the can be.

This is good to know thank u for that info
post #316 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
now for those with ES8000
1- what settings are you using? so I can test them out, because I used MKNET for D8000 and it shows same problem
2- can you try to reproduce my findings? in complete dark room (wait 30 min after you darken the room) then try to update firmware online, that when you should take picture, again tell me what settings you were using

Thx
post #317 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

no black crush? u would lose a lot of the variants of the various shades of black with settings like that.

dark as dark, even with the lights off? usually on most 7, 8 series they're exposed with a dark room.

Nope. That was actually my resolution to the black crush. Also, I leave my brightness no higher than 45. After you get above that the screen starts getting that gray look. I use D800's setting for the most part, but these tweaks I've put on mine have really made a difference.
post #318 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:

hmmm, we are now pausing video and moving off center to check wash out? whats the purpose? i certainly do not watch tv paused nor do i pause it to try to find flaws?
can you see this flaw while watching live tv or bluray? that would be more of a usable observation, to me anyway.
i can stand to the side of the tv with my eyes 3 inches from corner screen and see the led backlights like crazy, but why?
not bashing your post, to each his own, how ever you want to rate it. just trying to see the purpose of going to an extreme to find a flaw?

i have to admit i have a small amount of clouding flashlighting, but i do not see any wash out unless i am off center by about 4 or 5 foot and then it is minimal.

it would also seem that the processors that are built in to eliminate anything like this can not or are not doing their job when it is paused? seems they would be in a standby mode while paused? am i wrong on this?

Ah grasshopper, I explained why pause the movie...
"My suggestion about putting a movie in pause is to easily see when stepping off angle, how little one need to move over and how much it deteriorates the more you move over."

Do you really think it only gets washed out when in pause, silly rabbit.
I'm not going to the extream to find faults, rather showing how easy it is to see how a tv, any tv's viewing angle is.
Yes watching live tv, dead tv, Netflix, dvd, vhs, beta, blu-ray 35mm, black & white movies, heck whatever you want to watch my friend.

Try the coke/pepsi challenge
1. Find the scene with black/color.
2. Pause it, look at it as you move over 24"
3. Rewind, watch it play while you move over 24"
4. Say, whatsupwiththat

This is a very easy way to find out just how much wiggle room you have for viewing angles.

Cheers,
rewindbekind

post #319 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 659
A lot of us have couches or chairs on the side of the room. We, therefore, watch "from the side". Contrary to some above posts, this doesn't make us some bizarre outliers.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #320 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Ah grasshopper, I explained why pause the movie...
"My suggestion about putting a movie in pause is to easily see when stepping off angle, how little one need to move over and how much it deteriorates the more you move over."

Do you really think it only gets washed out when in pause, silly rabbit.
Not going to the extream to find faults, rather showing how easy it is to see how a tv, any tv's viewing angle is.

Try the coke/pepsi challenge.
1. Find the scene with black/color.
2. Pause it, look it as you move over 24"
3. Rewind, watch if play while you move over 24"
4. Say, whatsupwiththat

This is a very easy way to fine out just how much wiggle room you have for viewing angles.

Cheers,
rewindbekind

by putting into pause is it defeating the purpose of the processing power to try to eliminate wash out? not being a smart arse.. just really wanting to know? is pausing it defeating some of the things that are put into place to eliminate this?
post #321 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:

by putting into pause is it defeating the purpose of the processing power to try to eliminate wash out? not being a smart arse.. just really wanting to know? is pausing it defeating some of the things that are put into place to eliminate this?

I don't think your being a smart ass. No worries.
Yes putting these in pause will hinder performance of some things, like you'll see the pixels when in pause that you will not see when the picture is rolling.

I guess I'm just not getting my point across about why to pause.
Example, it's hard to compare two brands of tv's when they are not next to each other. Put them side by side, run the same source in real time and you can compare them acurately.

To test viewing angle, stand in front of the tv, keep your eyes on the movie playing while you start to move to the side. You will start to see wash out at some point. While you're doing that, you're also trying to focus on when does it start to fade, while your watching everything that's going on in the movie. To help, focus on one thing in the movie that is consistant, like a building, tree or something to see when it starts to wash out. To make it really easy, simply pause the scene and you can now focus on the entire movie scene, the blacks, the colors, shadows etc.

For those who have The Dark Knight blu-ray, the scene I use to test contrast and wash out is the ceiling in the basement. Bruce Wayne and (Morgan Freeman) are in the office, then get in the elevator to go to the basement. When they arrive in the basement, look at the basement's ceiling. If you see it's black and only see the round ceiling lights, then you're not seeing all the duct work. If the PQ is really good, you'll also see a red cable up running along the duct work in the right top side of the ceiling.

Tweak the tv your interested in for the best quality picture you can get. Then...

Find that scene in the movie. Stand dead center in front of the tv and move over to the side and watch the results.

This is a good test for any TV for contast and viewing angle.

Cheers,
bekindrewind

post #322 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 03:21 PM

By pausing the movie he is trying to get a baseline to compare all positions to.
If you have an action movie playing you will still notice the washout but everything changing you can be distracted.

I'm one of the ones that posted a few pages back about seeing it in bestbuy and the horrible washout. I know the difference between a little washout, which I can deal with, and massively bad washout that would mean It isn't worth $3000. I have been shopping for a TV for over 3 years, looking at all the top models constantly. I have lots of friends with flat panels. And still, I was floored at bestbuy with out bad the washout was. Looking at the TV dead on, eye level, back 10-12 feet, movie mode, and on center looked amazing. I am so ready to throw down cash for it it hurts. Then I step to the side about 4 feet and I see the screen fade horribly.

Now my wife is pissed because I promised her this was the year they fix the TVs and we buy one. Guess not.

I'm not hard core going to extremes looking for issues. I REALLY WANT A TV. But not if the wife is on one end of the couch and I'm on the other and we see the TV completely different.
post #323 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 03:40 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooben View Post

Now my wife is pissed because I promised her this was the year they fix the TVs and we buy one. Guess not.

I'm not hard core going to extremes looking for issues. I REALLY WANT A TV. But not if the wife is on one end of the couch and I'm on the other and we see the TV completely different.

Perhaps you need to get a plasma.
post #324 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have to agree, Bambooben most lcd tvs don't have wide viewing angles. I personally sit in the sweet spot and don't really care what everyone else sees PQ wise. I dropped the money for my Tvs I will get the best seat in the house. My wife could care less about PQ on the tv so that is a bonus for me, she would rather read her books then nitpick over PQ. I will say I have annoyed her by playing with the PQ settings during a movie .
post #325 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:

I will say I have annoyed her by playing with the PQ settings during a movie .

I'm sure most of us on here have annoyed the better half by doing this. I know I'm guilty.
post #326 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Depends on how big that sofa is. Long sectional, chairs off to the side of the room, get a plasma. I actually posted a photo of my sofa, some pages back. It's a love sofa, two person.

I hear ya my brother Bambooben.
His point is, like so many of us, we keep waiting thinking this year will be the year.

And like in my prior post today, the companies tell us, this year our set is better than last year etc etc. Now am I alone here, or the black levels in both plasma and lcd/led's so black that black should have new name? Where am I going with this? How many years have we heard, from every brand...our blacks are now 5 times (fill in the blank) blacker than last's years. Every year we hear this. I like to hear, hey consumers, our blacks were pretty good last year and this year we've made them a little blacker. And next year they will be even blacker, so pass on buying this new model we are bringing to market, and wait for....the model we are coming out with, two years from now. Yup, bypass next years model too, for the year after that will be even blacker. So, just how black is black if every year it's blacker. Oh my, I've gone off on a tangent. Oh well, back to I want my new tv now please

Cheers,
bekindrewind

post #327 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:

I have to agree, Bambooben most lcd tvs don't have wide viewing angles. I personally sit in the sweet spot and don't really care what everyone else sees PQ wise. I dropped the money for my Tvs I will get the best seat in the house. My wife could care less about PQ on the tv so that is a bonus for me, she would rather read her books then nitpick over PQ. I will say I have annoyed her by playing with the PQ settings during a movie .

Dude I love your all that is man is I. It's all about me and that's my X gosh darn it! I really don't care what everyone else sees PQ wize.

I'm just making fun here, so please don't think I'm serious. It's just fun to read how we post about some lcd are all about, this is the sweet spot and it's all about me. You my brother come right out and say it it all about you! You mucho macho man So playing with the PQ setting during a movie when your better half is watching is a no no? Oh man, I'd better stop doing that too then. Don't women know it's what men do?

post #328 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deletedpenguin View Post

i'm sure most of us on here have annoyed the better half by doing this. I know i'm guilty.

+1
post #329 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 05:01 PM

maybe someone can help me ,i am looking for the right calabration bluray disc to own ,so i can use to to calbrate tv's lol,what is a good to use easy to setup guild to get the best if not perfect picture on a ES8000,and even the D7000 AND D8000 and well any plasma tv that is out there.thank's and hope someone out ehre knows this anwer to my question .
post #330 of 16284 Old 03-22-2012, 05:17 PM

Liked: 14
All LCD sets have a poorer viewing angle than plasma partly due to the panel structure but mainly due to the polarising filters in front of the screen. All screens have these filters so the difference between the best and worse is fairly small with the latest IPS screens being the best but only slightly superior to the
SPVA units developed by Samsung which are regarded as the best for HDTV.
Ironically however for Samsung as the picture quality improves the viewing angle degradation appears worse compared to sets with lesser picture quality althought the off axis performance is the same. If you have to view at greater than 20 to 30 degrees off axis do yourself a favour and go for plasma or wait for newer technology.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page