Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3961 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
You don't have to purchase from them. You pay for a membership and can get a 5 year warranty on the TV regardless of where you bought it from for $99. Someone correct me if I've got that wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

So even though I didn't have an issue with CE Dimming with Star Trek or Harry Potter (which is always dark), I saw the effect more readily in Star Wars. Not enough for me to switch out of Standard mode, but I still feel it's a shame that we don't have individual control over this. The reason I bring it up is because I started to become unsure of what Micro Dimming could do without CE Dimming. After watching Star Wars though, I know it would be worth having without CE Dimming. Being you have black bars above and below is was extra obvious. In Movie mode, I can see a little flashlighing in a dark room. In Standard mode, I basically see no flashlighting. This is Micro Dimming without CE Dimming. Then you get a star field, dimming the screen (CE Dimming), camera pans down to a planet and the screen brightens, turning CE Dimming off - but still no flashlighing (Micro Dimming). Like I have said before, it's still not a deal breaker for me and sometimes it's done well, but now I can see Micro Dimming at work with and without CE dimming at work. My mind can be set at ease. I can tell you this, without CE Dimming, I would set my ECO lower. Now give me control.
post #3963 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 02:26 PM

Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

You don't have to purchase from them. You pay for a membership and can get a 5 year warranty on the TV regardless of where you bought it from for $99. Someone correct me if I've got that wrong.

Your right.. But you may even be able to buy it online without being a member and just pay a non member free of $2. I'm not sure if they still do that since I've been a member of Costco for years now. You can buy the TV from anywhere though and then get a 4 year warranty on Costco.com for $99 through Square Trade. You must purchase the warranty within 60 days of purchasing your TV through. Amazon has the same warranty for $300+ so $99 the best deal there is out there.
post #3964 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:

Hey, no fair, i know what you're talking about!! I forgot - I must not have been accepted frown.gif

LOL!!
post #3965 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

If you can, do us a favor and post back if you ever get the Sony. For me it was between this and the Sony, but I've had some issues with Sony in the past and specifically wanted a 60", not a 55" or 65".

Anthony & Garnoch - I looked at Sony's web site and the new 64.5" (diag) LED XBR HX950 Internet TV retails for $5499.99. I'm sure it can be had for a couple hundred dollars less. Ship date is estimated to be 10/26/12. It appears that it has some incredible features.

If you're looking at the 55" set - - it's not an apples to apples comparison to the Samsung UN65ES8000. I'd really be interested to see if they have flawless panels at the 65" size with no problems whatsoever - - like vertical banding, clouding, flashlighting or dead pixels.

If anyone hears about this 65" set, please post it. It's $1,400 more than the Samsung and when you start getting over $5K for a TV, you should be able to drive it out of the showroom.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #3966 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I heard that one of the new "features" on the Sony is that it won't have a "crease" problem this year... wink.gif

Sorry I had to do it - because it's the newest, hottest thing out there, I guess. I've checked out that owner's thread and people are still reporting blooming. And there is a question of whether there have actually been any more local dimming zones added (vs. counting additional software zones as more zones than the 929). It's still full array local dimming so I don't doubt that it will be good, I just wonder how much of an improvement over the 929 it is

After Samsung seemingly intentionally crippled the ES series, so that hardware dimming could be reiterated on the ES9000 and probably next year's flagship 55...I will be forever skeptical when new sets are released. I can imagine how people felt when they went from the B series Samsungs to the C series...

Some of the shots posted of the 950 look sweet. But go back on this thread to the early pages and you'll see that this tv had some sweet pics posted early on as well. That new tv shine sure does seem to wear off fast....

I'm sticking with my ES8000, because despite all the issues I'm happy enough with it

post #3967 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I'm sticking with mine too without a doubt. The Sony better be perfect for that cash. It's beautiful, but I prefer the look of the Samsung just a bit. Interesting it's sill got issues though and nice to see no crease is a great feature this year haha. That was funny.
post #3968 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

I heard that one of the new "features" on the Sony is that it won't have a "crease" problem this year... wink.gif
Sorry I had to do it - because it's the newest, hottest thing out there, I guess. I've checked out that owner's thread and people are still reporting blooming. And there is a question of whether there have actually been any more local dimming zones added (vs. counting additional software zones as more zones than the 929). It's still full array local dimming so I don't doubt that it will be good, I just wonder how much of an improvement over the 929 it is
After Samsung seemingly intentionally crippled the ES series, so that hardware dimming could be reiterated on the ES9000 and probably next year's flagship 55...I will be forever skeptical when new sets are released. I can imagine how people felt when they went from the B series Samsungs to the C series...
Some of the shots posted of the 950 look sweet. But go back on this thread to the early pages and you'll see that this tv had some sweet pics posted early on as well. That new tv shine sure does seem to wear off fast....
I'm sticking with my ES8000, because despite all the issues I'm happy enough with it

Understood. Latest & Greatest doesn't always mean better picture quality or bang for the buck.

I started reading some of the Sony HX950 forum comments today and a good portion of it is a massive circle jerk on zones. I'd really like to see/hear how it stacks against the UN65ES8000 or what the 3D is like or if everyone is experiencing blooming. I'm sure we'll find out.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #3969 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

The fact that they crippled this set after CES, makes me furious! You would not believe it unless you were there at the CES show in Jan, but I swear to... That this ES8000 looked super amazing there compared to what it looks like now. I also saw the ES9000 and it wasn't called the 9000. It was the same exact 8000 we have now. Somewhere after that, Samsung decided to call it the ES9000. This is why I paid $2,700 for the 46" the day it was released without reading any reviews. I would have never spent that much for such a small TV, but I swear the ES8000 looked better than my D8000. And that was even in a extreme bright environment. This is why this is the last Samsung I will buy. When OLED comes out, I hear LG's OLED is the way to go.

Someone gave me some good advise today that deals with the company on a regular basis. They said if you want to get their attention, to write a review about the issues on their own site. They said not to give it a 5 star or even a 4 star review because it will go un noticed. They said that the executives in Korea read them.

So today, I went under my Samsung account where it shows me all my registered products with them and wrote a review on this specific 65" TV and gave it a 2 star rating and in bold I wrote, Micro dimming Ultimate not working in movie mode.. You guys can read it on their site. Also if you can rate it as helpful, it will be even better. Now, if we all write a review on their site for this TV and mention these issues, it will bring the rating down and it will get noticed by the people we want to see it.

I'm just trying to figure out ways to be on them so we can all be 100% happy with this TV. This TV has the potential to be more amazing than it is right now. It's just a matter of them putting out a Firmware update. That's all..
post #3970 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Understood. Latest & Greatest doesn't always mean better picture quality or bang for the buck.
I started reading some of the Sony HX950 forum comments today and a good portion of it is a massive circle jerk on zones. I'd really like to see/hear how it stacks against the UN65ES8000 or what the 3D is like or if everyone is experiencing blooming. I'm sure we'll find out.

I know.. its getting annoying..

About the Sony HX950, one of the owners sent me a message saying that the black levels are even better than the VT50 plasma he returned. He also said that his TV is without a doubt better than the ES8000. He also said he owns the Samsung D7000 plasma from last year and likes that TV as well. Bottom line is, it's a Full array so of course it's going to be better but for a higher price.
post #3971 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

That's brilliant!
And I remember you said you were there. It sounds like the ES8000 originally had all the feature the 9000 has, then it was changed.
post #3972 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:

That's brilliant!
And I remember you said you were there. It sounds like the ES8000 originally had all the feature the 9000 has, then it was changed.

One more thing, when I bought the 46" the day it was released, the picture was horrible!! I mean horrible! It wasn't until they released a couple of firmware updates when it started to look really good. That's why I went and bought it in the 55" as we'll cause I knew all it takes is firmware updates. The thing is, they can't make this TV look as good or better than the 9000 now because then they will never get $9K for it. Maybe after the hype from the 9000 settles down, then they will release a firmware update. Or maybe, just maybe the Evo kit will give us the same picture quality as the 9000.. For a price we paid though already, we should have gotten it to begin with. I think anyways...
post #3973 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

The fact that they crippled this set after CES, makes me furious!

I want to amend my statement a little bit as far as "crippling" the ES so that it doesn't have any local dimming at all. When myself and many D8000 owners first heard about the ES series not having local dimming, we assumed it was because they had such a hard time creating panels that did not have dirty screen effect D.S.E./Banding. Banding was such a huge issue with the D8000, that many of us were willing to do without the local dimming just to have a more uniform picture

I would have to say the ES8000 delivered in that aspect. So it reaffirmed my thought on why they removed hardware dimming. But now that the Edge lit Local Dimming ES9000 is out...it also seems like it was more of a "save some for later $$$" move to cut local dimming from their 2012 led's. But then again, I guarantee you Samsung had a LOT of returns in 2011 due to banding on their flagship D8000, so it is probably actually due to both factors in all actuality

I looked into this year's Sony Edge Lit Local Dimming set - the 55HX850 (2012 model - closest thing to a D8000 Samsung) Checking out that owner's thread, and the reviews, it seems to also have a MAJOR problem with screen uniformity/banding. Not haloing though which seems to be more exclusive to full array local dimming. But same major problem (banding) as the D8000...

Anyways I just wanted to amend my statement a bit, as far as complaining about the lack of local dimming on this set. Would you trade local dimming for banding/uniformity? I know I wouldn't

I'm actually a little bit happier that this set DOES NOT have local dimming after doing the research into more edge lit local dimmers (and factoring in my own experience with the D8000). If they could actually re-implement local dimming into their 2013 LED edge lit sets without the banding issues, it would be applausable because they couldn't manage it on a consistent basis in 2011, and neither, apparently, has Sony been able to prevent banding on a consistent basis now in 2012 with the HX50

Full array or Software based dimming seems to be the way to go

post #3974 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 05:57 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Actually 3 years, but 3 years after the end of the manufactirer / retailer warranty. Since Costco doubles all mfr warranties to 2 years, the end result is 5 years if you bought at Costco. I didn't, but $99 for an additional 3 years (on top of Samsung warranty) for a total of four years is a good deal IMHO.
post #3975 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 07:18 PM

Well look at that! WE JUST GOT A NEW FiRMWARE UPDATE!!! haven't downloaded it yet so anyone that has please comment if there's any change in picture quality..
post #3976 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenched View Post

Plan on getting one of these mainly for blu ray movies, a pc monitor, and occasionally gaming.
Do Samsung TV's usually perform well as a monitor? I am currently using a Samsung 2770HD as a monitor and it has no issues, hoping that's the norm, not an exception.log

From what I've read here multiple times in this thread, its a very good TV to be used as a monitor.
post #3977 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well look at that! WE JUST GOT A NEW FiRMWARE UPDATE!!! haven't downloaded it yet so anyone that has please comment if there's any change in picture quality..

How do you know, Anthony. I've yet to do it myself other than when the TV was first turned on and it did it automatically. In Menu/Support I see "Software Update" but it's greyed out and says "This function isn't available". Oh well I'll try the old fashioned USB way. smile.gif
post #3978 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Yeah images look amazing and you just gave me a great idea to do that - We often have a slide show of pictures playing from the Apple TV, but having more artsy pictures instead of family pictures is an awesome idea! By the way, for my sci fi movies, I'm OCD about having nice poster art on the files and always go for the highest quality ORIGINAL art work, not "DVD" poster art.

I'm with you 100% on that. I hate the newer "floating heads" posters and DVD/blu-ray cover art. The lost art of the poster is gone. I love the old poster art of older films. I was impressed when Barbarella came out recently on blu-ray because they used the original 60's poster art for the slipcase and cover, which looks incredible. Usually dvd/blu-ray covers are terrible.

For poster art , try impawards.com - they have lots of very large posters for films, many times multiple international posters too - just type in the movie and see what comes up and click the image for an even larger view, which can be easily saved. Also, Heritageauction is a fantastic source of incredible high-quality scans of vintage poster art. You have to register for free and it's really an online auction for people with loads of money for vintage artwork, but there are just tons of huge scans of pulp covers, art, and loads of film posters, all archived for viewing.

I definitely plan on making slideshow viewing a regular event with this set.
post #3979 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're correct but the warranty is actually 3 years from squaretrade, plus the 1 year from Samsung, so it's technically 4 years. You need a Costco membership but it's totally worth it. Also I had a hard time explaining to the employees what I was trying to buy because even they didn't know you could just walk in and buy a warranty on tv bought elsewhere. I had to explain that to 2 different employees when I bought mine. At first they said I can't do that, and I had to go through the whole thing with them. $99 plus the cost of membership if you're not a member.
post #3980 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your right.. But you may even be able to buy it online without being a member and just pay a non member free of $2. I'm not sure if they still do that since I've been a member of Costco for years now. You can buy the TV from anywhere though and then get a 4 year warranty on Costco.com for $99 through Square Trade. You must purchase the warranty within 60 days of purchasing your TV through. Amazon has the same warranty for $300+ so $99 the best deal there is out there.

Nope, from everything I understood while looking into it, you had to have a full membership to qualify for purchasing the squaretrade warranty.
post #3981 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The fact that they crippled this set after CES, makes me furious! You would not believe it unless you were there at the CES show in Jan, but I swear to... That this ES8000 looked super amazing there compared to what it looks like now. I also saw the ES9000 and it wasn't called the 9000. It was the same exact 8000 we have now. Somewhere after that, Samsung decided to call it the ES9000. This is why I paid $2,700 for the 46" the day it was released without reading any reviews. I would have never spent that much for such a small TV, but I swear the ES8000 looked better than my D8000. And that was even in a extreme bright environment. This is why this is the last Samsung I will buy. When OLED comes out, I hear LG's OLED is the way to go.
Someone gave me some good advise today that deals with the company on a regular basis. They said if you want to get their attention, to write a review about the issues on their own site. They said not to give it a 5 star or even a 4 star review because it will go un noticed. They said that the executives in Korea read them.
So today, I went under my Samsung account where it shows me all my registered products with them and wrote a review on this specific 65" TV and gave it a 2 star rating and in bold I wrote, Micro dimming Ultimate not working in movie mode.. You guys can read it on their site. Also if you can rate it as helpful, it will be even better. Now, if we all write a review on their site for this TV and mention these issues, it will bring the rating down and it will get noticed by the people we want to see it.
I'm just trying to figure out ways to be on them so we can all be 100% happy with this TV. This TV has the potential to be more amazing than it is right now. It's just a matter of them putting out a Firmware update. That's all..

Excellent idea!
post #3982 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

- Support Angry Birds app.

- Improves performance of Smart Hub

- Adds print function in photo applications such as the Photo function of AllShare Play or Picasa.

- Supports Samsung Audio Dock and Wireless Keyboard VG-KBD1500

- Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices and network router/switch.

- Improves picture quality.

- Enhances Voice Recognition feature.

- Change the TV Power On command from ''Hi TV'' to ''Hi TV Power On'' or ''Smart TV'' to ''Smart TV Power On.'

So...what's different? I hate that they can't even be bothered to tell us what's new in the updates. This is all the same stuff as before.
Also, trying to download from the site it says 1 hour, 53 minutes? I guess I'll wait until the tv is ready to update.
post #3983 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I'm with you 100% on that. I hate the newer "floating heads" posters and DVD/blu-ray cover art. The lost art of the poster is gone. I love the old poster art of older films. I was impressed when Barbarella came out recently on blu-ray because they used the original 60's poster art for the slipcase and cover, which looks incredible. Usually dvd/blu-ray covers are terrible.
For poster art , try impawards.com - they have lots of very large posters for films, many times multiple international posters too - just type in the movie and see what comes up and click the image for an even larger view, which can be easily saved. Also, Heritageauction is a fantastic source of incredible high-quality scans of vintage poster art. You have to register for free and it's really an online auction for people with loads of money for vintage artwork, but there are just tons of huge scans of pulp covers, art, and loads of film posters, all archived for viewing.
I definitely plan on making slideshow viewing a regular event with this set.

Those were GREAT, thanks! I've been using themoviedb.org or google.
post #3984 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How do you know, Anthony. I've yet to do it myself other than when the TV was first turned on and it did it automatically. In Menu/Support I see "Software Update" but it's greyed out and says "This function isn't available". Oh well I'll try the old fashioned USB way. smile.gif

AHHHHHH, even when I do the thumb drive, I only get the options for pictures, movies or music, not software update.
post #3985 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting, I was looking at the SmartHub at the time. Getting out of that and the Software Update was no longer greyed out. Updating now because I like beta software so this should be cake haha. Last words.
post #3986 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

post #3987 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't get your hopes up because I may be seeing thing or my set has just settled more after 3 weeks but blacks in Movie mode looks better to me.
post #3988 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 09:43 PM

Liked: 12
Can you list the voice commands the TV accepts? Any chance for PIP on/off (based on the settings I would make via the usual menu structure)?

A related question is, compared to my current 7000 model, how hard is it to turn of/off PIP. During football season, I like to bring up a local game on PIP, but only during the commercial on the big screen, so it's on-off, over and over.

Finally, I tried getting this from Samsung chat, what a waste of time. What are the maximum dimensions of the stand? Not the TV, not the TV with the stand. Just The Stand. If I get this model, I need to build a platform to raise up the TV above my center channel speaker.
post #3989 of 16222 Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I think my TV just settled. I highly doubt we got Micro Dimming in Movie mode. What we definitely did not get was the ability to turn it or CE Dimming on or off in any mode, oh well. But that being said, I'm going to try Movie mode again for a while because the blacks are better than before. I have both Movie and Standard so close, it almost doesn't matter color wise, so it just comes down to blacks and extra dimming. I did decide to make some backlight changes though to both modes, so I'll update my settings on page 117 with actual backlight settings. Here's something I found interesting though. In a dark room in Standard, the lower your ECO is, the less CE Dimming adjusts. CE Dimming to me is literally just adjust adjusting the backlight but seems to go no lower than 4, maybe 3.
post #3990 of 16222 Old 09-22-2012, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 56
Quote:

This information is false, completely false.
In fact, unveiled at CES this year, were the ES8000, the ES9000 and the ES9500, there has been no difference in the ES8000 from unveiling to release, claiming that they somehow neutered this set is false. In fact, from day one they unveiled it, it was known that the ES8000 didn't have the same hardware processing that the D8000 had, they never hid this.
It was clear from day 1 this year that there would be another larger screen above the 8000 that had more processing yet was still in the LED line, this held true and eventually the ES9000 was released.

OLED may eventually be what we move towards, but there's still some serious issues with it, yields are not what they should be, the burn-in/image retention is quite serious, and blacks are blotchy, it remains to be seen if this can be corrected, especially with large screens. This is why they're not moving into mainstream as fast as you'd expect
By definition, the OLED process should be easier, one can akin it to printing with an inkjet printer, but the process still has a long way to go.

As for MDU not working in movie mode, this was completely intended, and as I've mentioned before, after looking at the base firmware, it was like that from day 1, this wasn't something they went back and neutered.
The only issue here, is that we don't have the ability to turn these functions on and off at will, this funtion with MDU/Standard wouldn't be an issue for some, if there was a way to disable or lesson the effect of CE-Dimming as was possible in past years with Shadow Detail.
Every Samsung TV functions the same way, they always have, Movie mode was always susposed to be the untouched as close to unprocessed in order to reproduce an unprocessed image, this has not changed this year.
Again, the only issue here, is that there isn't a menu item in which we can toggle on and off, MDU and CE-Dimming.
There was no neutering of the TV's processing, there never was, this is false information.
Bladerunner1959 likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page