Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4141 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Member
 
BillyBoyBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
.
BillyBoyBlue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4142 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eagle_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Now I think it's time to set up my game input in game mode for the best latency I can get. Before I do it though, can someone confirm that I can turn that on and leave it on one specific input without effecting my other inputs? I don't need to turn it on and off right? Thanks.

That is correct. I just tested it. You can set, say, HDMI 1 to game mode and leave it, and then switch to HDMI 2 and it will still be set to movie, or standard, or whatever you left it to last. HDMI 1 will remain on game mode and not affect the other inputs.
eagle_2 is offline  
post #4143 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eagle_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Op's Guy View Post

Agree. The low setting really produces a good result. Like Garnoch has stated experimenting with different settings is a preference of visual taste. Every set may be just a little different. Mine seems to really look good with dynamic contrast set at medium as well.

HDMI is greyed out and says normal for my FiOS HDMI input. However my FiOS is currently also connected directly into the component input of the tv for comparison, and for component, HDMI says low, but is also greyed out. Not sure why it's greyed out, or why component says one thing and HDMI says another.
eagle_2 is offline  
post #4144 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

Ricoflashback: Thanks for the reply. My bad, the cablebox output is HDMI. So you think that it's worth it to get a newer surround amp in order for it to upgrade the cable signal and make it look noticably better. I don't know if the cable box itself does that but the picture looks pretty damn good. The amp sounds good with 5.1.

Like Garnoch says - it's all personal preference.

To me, there is a significant difference in pre & post Yamaha RX-A2000 processing. My source is Directv, for the most part. (720p/1080i to 1080p)

Besides convenience and great sound, it really helps with the sound fields and the "Home Theater" experience. It's also nice to have one area to check the video & audio signal "on screen."

I find that satellite provides a better video and audio signal than cable. In my case, I've had pretty bad experiences with my cable company - Comcast (Long story with Comcast - - I used to have everything with them until I added HDTV sets to my house (mainly my girlfriend's upstairs) and began to get cable degradation. Plus the fact that they blew off two appointments when I stayed home from work and never showed up)

Satellite also has better audio - - at least to my ears. I really think it has to do with compression and not all cable/satellite providers are the same. I do enjoy the 3D channels and NFL ticket on Directv and that is a plus.

I'm a big believer in minimizing risk, so if you want to take the plunge, make sure you can return anything you buy (like from Amazon - they've never denied me a return) so you're not "stuck" if you don't like the product. That way, you can check it out and make sure you are 100% satisfied.

I can guarantee you this - - you will hear a noticeable improvement in the sound processing - - especially with DTS & Bluray DVD. I believe you will also see a noticeable improvement in the video signal & processing.

So - my recommendation is that if you decide to purchase - - make sure you can return it - - no questions asked. Again, my experience with Amazon has been very positive and keep all packaging if you do return.

Best - Rico

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #4145 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eagle_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

I'm also using picture setting "natural" with some content. Of course I dial it down a little but with some content, I get that pop and a more vivid picture.

I find natural totally unusable for me due to a very strong red shift. In movie and standard I can reduce the red cast by playing with white balance but white balance is unavailable in natural so I can't even use it. I find the ES7500 has a very strong red cast in general - everybody looks like they have high blood pressure unless I compensate in white balance.
eagle_2 is offline  
post #4146 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eagle_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Thanks, Garnoch. Much appreciated.
I have everything going through the Yamaha receiver (RX-A2000) and one HDMI to the Samsung UN65ES8000. Everything is being upscaled to 1080P. I originally had a separate HDMI cable for video and audio for my Sony BDP-S790 bluray player but have since changed that configuration and it works much better with one HDMI from the receiver to the Sammy for all my input resources:
1. Directv HR 22-100 with external hard drive
2. Sony BDP-S790 Bluray Player
3. Micca EP350 Media Player
All plugged into a Belkin PF30 Power Console. The only addition I might make is to have a Region Free DVD Player (not bluray) as another DVD player for foreign DVD's.
I found out when I run everything through my Yamaha receiver, everything works much better including Anynet and even using the Sony Bluray option to convert 2D to 3D - through the receiver. (Another option to the Samsung conversion)
So I am getting uniformity on all video sources - - including streaming from Amazon Instant Video (an incredible deal as far as I'm concerned).
I just haven't seen the "pop" factor with the "Movie" mode in my dark man cave in the basement. My backlight is set at "10" and I've even started experimenting with some of the other features, like AMP, that have been totally turned off by most users. I find that the "Smooth" setting helps with streaming video from Amazon - especially the Mission Impossible movie I watched yesterday.
I think my receiver is altering (for the good) my picture compared to other posts, here, and it's probably not "apples to apples." That being said - - I read every single thread on this forum and will continue to do so because it helps me get the most out of my TV and I learn a lot.
Best - Rick

Personally I find 10 is much too dim unfortunately for movie mode. It's plenty for standard mode but not bright enough in movie.
eagle_2 is offline  
post #4147 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eagle_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Yeah there are certain times I like Dynamic Contrast at medium and even Black Tone on Darker. There are many times though when medium does something to faces and skin tone that I don't like, and in the case of Medium and Darker, there are times I loose some detail. I just decided I didn't want to jump back and forth depending on content, so left am leaving them on Low and Dark for now. It doesn't surprise me at all that people can like those settings.
Natural though... I'm just shaking my head haha

Funny I find the same thing - medium looks nice often, but it does affect the faces too much - it seems to over-saturate and at the same time wash-out and create too much "glare" on faces - not always, it depends on the lighting in the scene to begin with. Low is safer overall, though sometimes I do like the look of medium other than the glare it causes on faces.
eagle_2 is offline  
post #4148 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eagle_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

With the same setting in Standard and Movie modes, they should look almost identical, but with blacks being better, with less clouding and flashlighting, in Standard because of Standard using Micro and CE Dimming. This is the reason I've added Black Tone to the mix in Movie mode.

I don't find this to be the case for my set (7500). Movie and standard look pretty different with the same exact settings - especially the brightness - I need to have movie set 5 notches higher than standard for the brightness to appear close to the same level. Movie is just much dimmer than standard. Also I have gamma set to 0 in movie as opposed to -1 in standard, again to help with the lack of brightness in movie mode.

In 3D though I have standard and movie looking virtually the same with very similar settings.
eagle_2 is offline  
post #4149 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

That is correct. I just tested it. You can set, say, HDMI 1 to game mode and leave it, and then switch to HDMI 2 and it will still be set to movie, or standard, or whatever you left it to last. HDMI 1 will remain on game mode and not affect the other inputs.

Great, thanks, man.
Garnoch is offline  
post #4150 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Personally I find 10 is much too dim unfortunately for movie mode. It's plenty for standard mode but not bright enough in movie.

For daytime, I have Movie higher too, 15 actually. For a pitch black room I can go lower than Standard though because of the lack of CE Dimming in Movie mode - so I have my Movie ECO set to 4.
Garnoch is offline  
post #4151 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Funny I find the same thing - medium looks nice often, but it does affect the faces too much - it seems to over-saturate and at the same time wash-out and create too much "glare" on faces - not always, it depends on the lighting in the scene to begin with. Low is safer overall, though sometimes I do like the look of medium other than the glare it causes on faces.

Yeah, glare is a good way to describe it! Almost too like the sharpness of faces is too high. It's odd at times - other times it's really nice.
Garnoch is offline  
post #4152 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I don't find this to be the case for my set (7500). Movie and standard look pretty different with the same exact settings - especially the brightness - I need to have movie set 5 notches higher than standard for the brightness to appear close to the same level. Movie is just much dimmer than standard. Also I have gamma set to 0 in movie as opposed to -1 in standard, again to help with the lack of brightness in movie mode.
In 3D though I have standard and movie looking virtually the same with very similar settings.

I absolutely agree when it comes to brightness and black level, but for color, mine is damned close with the same settings. I made some slight adjustments to white balance in Standard to almost perfectly match color and that was it. Other setting between the two are identical for me as well - meaning Sharpness, Contrast and other settings - if they are the same in both settings, I get the same effect.
Garnoch is offline  
post #4153 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Member
 
got3nks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Today I received my UE65ES8000.. Besides some slight clouding (which isn't a big concern for me, I can live with it) my set suffer some severe vertical banding. I could clearly see it while watching bluray content (a beautiful one - The Art of Flight).

I don't know what to do. This is my second TV after returning a Sharp 70" (had a stuck pixel + horizontal banding), I really hoped I could be 100% satisfied with the new Samsung TV. I have now just sent an email to Samsung Italy hoping they will offer a TV/panel replace.

frown.gif
got3nks is offline  
post #4154 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Garnoch is offline  
post #4155 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by got3nks View Post

Today I received my UE65ES8000.. Besides some slight clouding (which isn't a big concern for me, I can live with it) my set suffer some severe vertical banding. I could clearly see it while watching bluray content (a beautiful one - The Art of Flight).
I don't know what to do. This is my second TV after returning a Sharp 70" (had a stuck pixel + horizontal banding), I really hoped I could be 100% satisfied with the new Samsung TV. I have now just sent an email to Samsung Italy hoping they will offer a TV/panel replace.
frown.gif

Sorry to hear that. It took me three sets to finally get one that works for me. Even then, I have very slight vertical banding and it's not uniform - - bluray is virtually spotless.

My 2nd Samsung had serious vertical banding which makes me wonder about these larger screens. Is it totally the panel? Can the mass manufacturing process be that bad? And...it's happening across all vendors. Maybe this is a function of edge lit sets? Does full array have this problem?

At any rate - - best of luck to you on the replacement. For what it's worth - - Samsung has been very good on repairing, replacing or refunding - - so you have options.

If you're like me and a lot of other folks on this forum - - you just want your TV to work right and be happy.

Best - Rico

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #4156 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
 
cglenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Beavercreek, OR
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

You're welcome. That's on crutchfield.com too though...
UN46ES8000
detachable stand (stand "footprint" is 36-1/4"W x 8-1/4"D)
41"W x 24-1/4"H x 1-1/2"D (25-7/8"H x 8-1/4"D on stand)
UN46ES7500
detachable swivel stand (stand "footprint" is 24-7/8"W x 11"D)
41-1/4"W x 24-3/8"H x 1-1/2"D (27-1/4"H x 11"D on stand)

I see the stand raises up off whatever it sits on part way down the length. I guess I need someone with a 46" to measure the width of the stand that actually supports the TV. The depth is fine, but the custom built platform I have now (for the 7000) is closer to 26" wide.
cglenn is offline  
post #4157 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Member
 
got3nks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

At any rate - - best of luck to you on the replacement. For what it's worth - - Samsung has been very good on repairing, replacing or refunding - - so you have options.

I hope the same applies for Samsung Italy. I will call them in a few days if I don't get any reply to my email.

Fingers crossed.
got3nks is offline  
post #4158 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post

I see the stand raises up off whatever it sits on part way down the length. I guess I need someone with a 46" to measure the width of the stand that actually supports the TV. The depth is fine, but the custom built platform I have now (for the 7000) is closer to 26" wide.

OH, the part that is higher by the base of the TV? Yeah that I'm not sure about. That's one of the reasons I went with the 7500. Now that I know I don't have any extra Micro Dimming zones (non in fact) in Movie mode, I'm even happier I went with the 7500. Plus I wanted a black frame. Good luck!
Garnoch is offline  
post #4159 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 978
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 84
FYI - Update.

Just completed this task via USB. Could not update "Online," as it said that there was nothing to update. (Updated to 1035.2)

When you download the file from the Internet - - it will be "zipped." Unzip it and copy over the "Image" folder with files contained within to your USB drive. Then, update via USB on the TV.

I can't tell if anything is different but I just updated my TV.

Lastly - and if anyone is watching the "Fugitive" right now (Directv HDNM) - - it's really washed out on my set. I've heard that this channel "upgrades" older content to HDTV quality but there is something lacking in the process! This is really the only Directv channel that I have that is this bad. (HD channel) And I think it has more to do with this specific movie (classic with Harrison Ford & Tommy Lee Jones)

Not to worry - - the "Natural" setting brought it back to life. See...there are some uses for this setting, as well! (Inferior source material!!)

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #4160 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
NOOOOO not Natural, you guys are killing me. Haha, just busting on a few people - to each his own. Now I know I just said that my all my DirecTV is washed out unless HDMI Black Level is set on low, but being you're talking about one channel, or more specifically one show, it's probably just that. Content is now always what it should be, that I can say for sure.
Garnoch is offline  
post #4161 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 06:30 PM
 
Anthony5362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

FYI - Update.
Just completed this task via USB. Could not update "Online," as it said that there was nothing to update. (Updated to 1035.2)
When you download the file from the Internet - - it will be "zipped." Unzip it and copy over the "Image" folder with files contained within to your USB drive. Then, update via USB on the TV.
I can't tell if anything is different but I just updated my TV.
Lastly - and if anyone is watching the "Fugitive" right now (Directv HDNM) - - it's really washed out on my set. I've heard that this channel "upgrades" older content to HDTV quality but there is something lacking in the process! This is really the only Directv channel that I have that is this bad. (HD channel) And I think it has more to do with this specific movie (classic with Harrison Ford & Tommy Lee Jones)
Not to worry - - the "Natural" setting brought it back to life. See...there are some uses for this setting, as well! (Inferior source material!!)

Rick, I was watching "Boss" on starz last night and used natural the whole time. That show doesn't have much color to begin with and is cloudy looking though out it but when I put it on Natural that's exactly what it did. It brought it to life..

There's not much content I would use natural in though cause like Eagle said, peoples faces tend to look like they have high blood pressure, but I found Boss and the walking dead to look really good.

Garnoch, do you get Starz? Try using natural watching Boss.. Just curious what your imput is while watching it on Natural. Even if its just a few minutes.
Anthony5362 is offline  
post #4162 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I'm glad you realized you were one of the guys I was busting on. I do get Starz so I'll have to check that out. I have a "funny" story about Natural. The other night was I was up late testing the TV and my oldest daughter was leaving with her boyfriend about 11:00 and saw me switching between modes and they loved Dynamic and Natural. Really ticked me off. smile.gif I had Natural on the green Lucasfilm logo against a black background at the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back. (I was testing blacks). Now I admit, it actually looked amazing. Bright colors with a very black background (why are blacks so good in Natural - better than Standard even). They went to Applebees and came back and I had a test ready for them. I played them the beginning of Empire in the snow. I said, "How's that look". They said amazing. I asked if it looked natural. They said yes. I then changed over to Natural and they were horrified at the snow and everything else. I told them that was the setting they liked and that was why I didn't use use it. smile.gif Like I've said from the beginning though, to each their own. We all have different likes. If something works for you, then go for it. I just set up Boss to record though, so I can see what you're seeing.
Garnoch is offline  
post #4163 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Oh, Eagle, in addition to themoviedb.org for movie posters, I forgot to mention moviegoods.com. What's nice about that place is that it even shows which poster was version A, B, C, etc.
Garnoch is offline  
post #4164 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 06:58 PM
 
Anthony5362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

I'm glad you realized you were one of the guys I was busting on. I do get Starz so I'll have to check that out. I have a "funny" story about Natural. The other night was I was up late testing the TV and my oldest daughter was leaving with her boyfriend about 11:00 and saw me switching between modes and they loved Dynamic and Natural. Really ticked me off. smile.gif I had Natural on the green Lucasfilm logo against a black background at the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back. (I was testing blacks). Now I admit, it actually looked amazing. Bright colors with a very black background (why are blacks so good in Natural - better than Standard even). They went to Applebees and came back and I had a test ready for them. I played them the beginning of Empire in the snow. I said, "How's that look". They said amazing. I asked if it looked natural. They said yes. I then changed over to Natural and they were horrified at the snow and everything else. I told them that was the setting they liked and that was why I didn't use use it. smile.gif Like I've said from the beginning though, to each their own. We all have different likes. If something works for you, then go for it. I just set up Boss to record though, so I can see what you're seeing.

That's funny cause I agree and most people that don't know any better use their TV on dynamic or Vivid mode.. (Torch mode) and love it and think that's how it's supposed to look.. I remember when my older Samsung sets would come out of the box set to Dynamic. They seemed to change that which is good cause most people get their TV, plug it in and that's it.

I think for energy star ratings and guidelines, they had to put the default in something other than torch mode. That's another issue with TV, every year the Goverment sets even better energy ratings and we end up getting a dimmer TV but saving a few dollars.
Anthony5362 is offline  
post #4165 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 PM
 
Anthony5362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Just got an Email from Paul's TV.. Wow, they have an amazing deal right now on the ES8000 model. You get $300 back, a Samsung wall mount, and a 2 year warranty for $3,500 for the 65" that's a good deal..

I bet Samsung isn't selling the 8000 series as fast as they sold last years D8000. This time around last year, the D8000 had way over a hundred reviews on Amazon.com.. Mostly all good too. This year with this model, there aren't as many reviews on Amazon and almost half of them are only 1 star ratings.

I think this is why they dropped the prices so low compared to when they were released. I was shocked because they were pretty firm with sticking to their high prices after they were released, but slowly the prices came down or they put out some good promotions.
Anthony5362 is offline  
post #4166 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Maybe, but yet they can't seem to keep these in stock it seems so it's hard to say. There were times in the first week where I wondered if I should have gotten the D, but I'm glad I didn't. Then again, you said the 65". They're obviously having issues with the 65" which is a shame.
Garnoch is offline  
post #4167 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 07:54 PM
 
Anthony5362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Maybe, but yet they can't seem to keep these in stock it seems so it's hard to say. There were times in the first week where I wondered if I should have gotten the D, but I'm glad I didn't. Then again, you said the 65". They're obviously having issues with the 65" which is a shame.

Oh.. I think he 65" is selling like crazy, but its also getting returned just as much as its getting sold. Obviously they didn't fix the quality control issue on the 65" because I was just talking to another dude who had his 65" delivered the same day as me. When he wrote back, he said his TV is all packed up waiting to be sent back and he's now looking at the Sony.

He said he loved the TV in general, but couldn't get past the Vertical banding. He said he was embarrassed when his family all came over to watch it and they kept asking, what are those thick lines going across the screen. Mine has it also, but it all depends on what I'm watching. It doesn't really bother me that much enough to return it. I'm hoping that a firmware update will help mask it a little down the road.

I think eventually this TV is going to be even better when they figure out how to use the dimming software better to where it doesn't cause any other issues. I think once they have that figured out, they will put out a firmware update and the picture will look much better.
I saw them do that with the D8000, so I have faith in that..
Anthony5362 is offline  
post #4168 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
That's a shame. Vertical banding seems to be plaguing the 65". Does anyone know if that can be fixed via firmware or if it can get better over time? I assume not because from what I know it's a voltage issue - hardware.
Garnoch is offline  
post #4169 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Well, Anthony (and Rico and some others), I must say I got laughing when I played Boss on Starz in Natural mode. I'll be damed if it didn't make the show look "natural". No kidding. BUT that being said, it's not being see the way the film makers intended when viewed like that. They went for a very stylized look, and Natural changed it. It did work though and I thought that was funny. I decided to try it on Batman The Dark Knight because of that and it and it had a similar effect, although you loose all kind of shadow detail. I think i has a lot to do with the Color Tone being Standard too of course. Not my cup of tea, but I can understand someone digging that for certain content.
Garnoch is offline  
post #4170 of 16281 Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eagle_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Black Tone is not my friend.

I've been experimenting a bit lately with leaving black tone on dark and for movie mode it has improved the image a bit, though it does lose a bit of detail in the darker areas.

However, I just noticed that by doing that, I am causing the screen to turn off completely when the screen displays all black!! As others noted, turning the brightness to 46 defeats that "feature", so when the screen displays black, the screen will remain on (like it should). But, if I set Black Tone to even the lowest setting, I now have to turn the brightness up to 49 to keep the screen on when it displays black!

Thanks yet again Samsung, for doing everything possible to make me want to pull my hair out. So I find a way to help with the blacks, but doing so makes me have to raise my brightness 3 more notches, throwing off my settings which looked good with the AVS disc, and defeating the whole point of improving the blacks. Amazing! Why does Samsung insist on putting these stupid, ridiculous features in these sets?? Why can't I just go into the damn menu and have a setting called "turn screen off when all black" that I can enable or disable. Samsung has done everything possible to take all control of these settings away from us. Unbelievable.

So black tone goes back to off.
eagle_2 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off