Forum Jump: 

post #4681 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

I'm glad I finally bought the Harmony One. I bought as a refurb for $99 on Logitech's site. They would only let me buy one though at that price.. I haven't received it yet, but the more you guys talk about it, the more Im getting pumped up! It's sure a pain I'm the ... Right now with all these remotes.
I don't have my setup like you guys do though. I have everything going into my receiver, with one HDMI going to my TV. That doesn't change how well its going to work for me, right?

I'm a minimalist. I prefer to run direct. Just less in the chain I suppose. When watching TV, I just punch the "Watch TV" on the H1 and the TV and Uverse turn on. If I want to watch with the receiver, I hit watch TV with Stereo on the H1 and the receiver turns on. Receiver to TV with optical cable. Same setup with the PS3.

Now maybe if I had a $3k AVR that might make me rethink the setup. I don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Rick. Your going to really enjoy Avatar also.. I thought they finally released it? I've had my copy forever. I hear you can always buy a Panasonic blu ray player and get it for free. Not sure if they still do that though.

Anthony - Amazon has the Avatar 3D Bluray pack shipping out on October 16th, 2012, for $29.96. I thought that was a good price so I pre-ordered.

Nitra - - maybe this 3D version will be better?

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #4683 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Anthony - Amazon has the Avatar 3D Bluray pack shipping out on October 16th, 2012, for $29.96. I thought that was a good price so I pre-ordered.
Nitra - - maybe this 3D version will be better?

Naw, it's the same.
Good price yes, well worth owning as well.
post #4684 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 08:32 AM

Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Liked: 70
Wow! If Avengers has even more depth than Avatar, then I really want to watch it now. I received it Friday, but haven't had the time to watch it yet..
post #4685 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 AM

Nitra, I see your favorite genre is Horror and Sci-fi. Have you seen "the Cabin in the woods" yet?
post #4686 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Quote:

I'm glad I finally bought the Harmony One. I bought as a refurb for $99 on Logitech's site. They would only let me buy one though at that price.. I haven't received it yet, but the more you guys talk about it, the more Im getting pumped up! It's sure a pain In the ... Right now with all these remotes.
I don't have my setup like you guys do though. I have everything going into my receiver, with one HDMI going to my TV. That doesn't change how well its going to work for me, right?
Anthony,
You will be golden. Just follow instruction and tell it exactly what to do. I have mine set so Fios is always on.....and all other sources are on after I select them until I power down with H-one. Otherwise as you switch between sources the previous one would turn off......that made me crazy. I like all to stay on until I am done with my session.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #4687 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

Anthony,
You will be golden. Just follow instruction and tell it exactly what to do. I have mine set so Fios is always on.....and all other sources are on after I select them until I power down with H-one. Otherwise as you switch between sources the previous one would turn off......that made me crazy. I like all to stay on until I am done with my session.

Blade runner,

Have you used that App for the Fios yet? I initially thought I saw it being a Uverse App, but then I checked and its for Fios. I'm curious how the video quality is..

I think that's pretty cool that they implemented that so you don't really need a separate set top box. I would love if they added a Comcast App, or even Uverse since I'm thinking of switching soon.
post #4688 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Avengers 3d was great fun. One of the better 3d transfers. I would gave liked a lil more 3d-ness but....absolutely no complaints. Worthy addition to collection. Now....Transformers Dark if the Moon...fricking crazeeeeee 3d ruckus! story not as good but what eye candy.

3d is absolutely better on the 8000 than in the theater...hands down....again reinforces the decision to buy this tv. Plasma owners simply will not even get a sniff of what we are seeing. Can't wait to get Avatar 3d.

I bought the 8000 for 2d performance with the benefit of 3d availability....now I an turning into a 3d junkie.....and still on fw 001013

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #4689 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

Anthony,

That's what makes it such a great remote. You can set it up anyway you want your stuff to operate.
post #4690 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Blade runner,
Have you used that App for the Fios yet? I initially thought I saw it being a Uverse App, but then I checked and its for Fios. I'm curious how the video quality is..
I think that's pretty cool that they implemented that so you don't really need a separate set top box. I would love if they added a Comcast App, or even Uverse since I'm thinking of switching soon.
....no my friend, I have not.

post #4691 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nitra, I see your favorite genre is Horror and Sci-fi. Have you seen "the Cabin in the woods" yet?

It was great, many laughs, I didn't really consider it a horror in the normal sense, but I loved it.
post #4692 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Just watched "The Avengers" in 3D last night with my girlfriend who was not really enthused about "3D."
That's one of the reasons she has her own TV upstairs - a Samsung 40".
Verdict? "Wow, she says, WOW!" "I can't wait until you receive Avatar in 3D" - one of her favorite movies. Looks like an other convert.
It's funny - - I bought this TV primarily for the picture and secondarily for the other features, including "3D." I have to say - - it's really a totally different experience watching a quality 3D movie in your own environment.
Absolutely stunning - - the visuals and eye candy were fantastic. I find myself more intently watching the film because you notice so much more - - depth perception and 3D effects. Oh well, looks like more $$$ going to build my 3D library.
And....Directv does have 3D movies you can purchase via pay per view. I have one of their free coupons that I'll use on 3D
Lastly - - with all due respect to JD and Frank's drink - - I was sipping a little Breckenridge Bourbon - - hand batch last night.
Nothing like a Rocky Mountain, Saturday 3D night with a little bourbon on the rocks.....
Best - Rick

Hey Rick. I live in Denver. I have been to Breckenridge Distillery. Its not bad stuff, but if you want the absolute best, you need to try Stranahans.

http://www.stranahans.com/home/

Jim Murrays Whiskey Bible rated best small batch whiskey in 2008. The stuff is amazing.

Okay sorry for the thread jack, back on topic.
post #4693 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Op's Guy View Post

That's what makes it such a great remote. You can set it up anyway you want your stuff to operate.
....exactly, and me being a minimalist as well I had moved my 5.1 down to the gameroom to play with my old Sony.....but when I do upgrade to a sweet mid to highend avr with comparable speakers....i see how easy it will be to integrate it all....awesome.

I have been quite happy with my free soundbar so far as I rarely watch at rib busting levels anymore. I love the streamlined rack, lack of wires as the screen just floats above it all.

Ha ha ...funny cuz I used to be such a tweaking junkie with more components the better.... Cable installers would shudder at the sight of my older setup. I feel like I morphed into the anti-Bladerunner1959 !!!! Does that even make sense??? LOL

post #4694 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM

Ok... with all the talk of 3d someone has to give all the perimeter of watching it on the ES. I haven't watched one yet. What would be considered the best 1st 3d movie to get? It has to pass the wife test. Are all compatible with our glasses? The PS3? Any special settings to watch it on the TV and PS3?
post #4695 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwalker1974 View Post

Hey Rick. I live in Denver. I have been to Breckenridge Distillery. Its not bad stuff, but if you want the absolute best, you need to try Stranahans.
Jim Murrays Whiskey Bible rated best small batch whiskey in 2008. The stuff is amazing.

Thanks for the tip. I only mentioned the whiskey reference after a couple JD messages on a Friday night (makes sense!)

I'll try both - - I only bought the Breckenridge after my local discount liquor store mgr. suggested it - - and he said it was better than Stranahan's.

I think I'll try the Jim Murrays for my next purchase.

If I start buying more 3D movies for my collection, I'll have to keep purchasing more whiskey - - it just is more enjoyable on a Saturday night, watchin 3D and sippin away...

Back on topic - interesting interview with James Cameron on the future of 3D.

And I couldn't agree more with the comment about "Plasma 3D" and the lack of the true 3D experience compared to the Sammy.

I never understood CNET Katzmier's review of the VT50 (forget exact model but latest, greatest Panasonic Plasma 65" set.) I mean, god awful, horrific 3D - - and not a word or mention of how bad the 3D was on that Plasma Panny.

I saw it, in person, at my local Paul's TV retailer. I mean, it was downright unwatchable. I know people have personal preferences but to ignore the complete failure of that set in 3D is criminal writing - - and I'm not talking about CSI, either.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/08/14/can-james-cameron-save-the-struggling-3d-tv-business-with-fox-avatar-3d-blu-ray-release/

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #4696 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok... with all the talk of 3d someone has to give all the perimeter of watching it on the ES. I haven't watched one yet. What would be considered the best 1st 3d movie to get? It has to pass the wife test. Are all compatible with our glasses? The PS3? Any special settings to watch it on the TV and PS3?

I have only have one 3D movie (The Avengers) and it was fantastic. You can read about it throughout the posts on this thread.

Absolutely stunning and thoroughly enjoyable. Amazon has a great price on it ($19.99) and I even saw it at my local Costco for $24.95.

If you have Directv and do not want to purchase - - it's also showing in 3D there.

Lastly - - I bought a pair of Dimension Optics 3D glasses for my home theater and have been extremely happy with them. They block out any light on the side and are rechargeable. They come with a nice case, as well.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #4697 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I still use an older (Fat) PS3 for Blu-ray playback and the 3D on my UN60ES8000 is terrific! All 3D content is compatible with the glasses that came with your TV. You will have no problems and will not be disappointed. As far as what to get first that is going to pass the wife test, Titanic is exceptional in 3D and a real testament to what the technology can do when placed in the right creative hands. Also, The Avengers is stellar and you can't go wrong with any of the Toy Story films in 3D (especially 3). Hugo and Tin Tin also have excellent, totally immersive 3D, but these films may not be to everyone's liking.
post #4698 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 10:27 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Just watched "The Avengers" in 3D last night with my girlfriend who was not really enthused about "3D."
Verdict? "Wow, she says, WOW!" "I can't wait until you receive Avatar in 3D" - one of her favorite movies. Looks like an other convert.
It's funny - - I bought this TV primarily for the picture and secondarily for the other features, including "3D." I have to say - - it's really a totally different experience watching a quality 3D movie in your own environment.
Absolutely stunning - - the visuals and eye candy were fantastic. I find myself more intently watching the film because you notice so much more - - depth perception and 3D effects. Oh well, looks like more $$$ going to build my 3D library.
And....Directv does have 3D movies you can purchase via pay per view. I have one of their free coupons that I'll use on 3D
Lastly - - with all due respect to JD and Frank's drink - - I was sipping a little Breckenridge Bourbon - - hand batch last night.
Nothing like a Rocky Mountain, Saturday 3D night with a little bourbon on the rocks.....
Best - Rick

I watched with the whole family last night. It was simply stunning. I chose the ES8000 in part because of its 3D capabilities, hoping that there would be increasing quality source materials compared to where we're at today. I have no doubt that 3D is going to hit my budget hard over the coming year -- and I'll pay it happily. Quality source material paired with the ES8000 is over-the-top incredible.
post #4699 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For the wife, and for quality, Titanic.
It's a good starter, not as fast moving, should ease her into it.
post #4700 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwalker1974 View Post

I love Stranahans! I wish that my local liquor shops would carry it! I've been to Total Wine & Bevmo. No luck. I had to order it online.

post #4701 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60

It never was for me before because I don't need RF capability, but if they redesign everything and I don't like it, then it will be worth it to me for the colored buttons. I'll move the 700 to the bedroom. I still have the 550 hooked up in a different room. Who knows, I'll wait to see what their new line up is because I'm sure it will be more than just this Touch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4702 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Best - Rick

One word.... Yum

I agree on the 3D and I didn't really care about it before, BUT - what's up with some blurred backgrounds looking weird and messing with your eyes?

post #4703 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm glad I finally bought the Harmony One. I bought as a refurb for $99 on Logitech's site. They would only let me buy one though at that price.. I haven't received it yet, but the more you guys talk about it, the more Im getting pumped up! It's sure a pain In the ... Right now with all these remotes.

Not at all. It will work GREAT. I literally only have one remote and one click switching is amazing. It can take some time to set it up just right though and you;ll go back and tweak it a few times. If you need help, just ask.

post #4704 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This one is at the top of the list for my wife and I!

post #4705 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link!

post #4706 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 01:34 PM

Liked: 11
After the update firmware the TVs pq has improved a lot smile.gif
post #4707 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Another one. Interesting. Thanks for letting us know.

post #4708 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 07:52 PM

Liked: 10
Just wanted to check back in and say I absolutely love this TV. Such vivid colors and remarkable detail. I've even been watching movies I've seen several times before and they look so different that it is enjoyable watching them all over again. I added a Sony STRDN1030 Receiver with 7 Klipsch speakers. Much better than a sound bar or just the TV speakers, not that they were bad or anything. They actually sounded pretty good, just not as good as my home theater. Had this set for about 3 weeks now and every time I turn it on it still has the 'wow' factor.

I've yet to buy a blu ray player and the disney calibration disc. I find the 'Natural' setting (yeah, I know, booooo) looks perfect out of the box. Luck of the draw I guess since every TV is different, which is why other people's settings don't always work. I tried using them and the result was very unappealing. As it is, skin tones are correct as are all the colors. Every now and then I try switching to the other picture modes and don't like them at all. "Natural" works great for football was well as movies. I did change the audio delay, but after getting the Sony receiver I use it's built in delay which stupidly enough, you can only adjust in a gui menu with no picture, so you have to keep trying different presets until it syncs up. I'm using 90ms now. What was Sony thinking???

There is some 'clouding' that is only visible when changing channels because Directv's receiver takes about 3-4 seconds to process so the screen is dark then. I never see it otherwise, even during credits when the background is black or dark scenes in a movie. The screen has to be completely black before you can spot it. I get an occasional picture stutter once in a while but not enough to be annoying. The soap opera effect is still there and I've gotten so used to it that now it's normal to me. Feels like I'm there in real life.

The 3D was ok (not too much available on directv, mostly boring stuff). Like pretty much everyone else says, you don't want to spend too much time behind the glasses, but they do a fairly decent job. Didn't care for football reruns in 3D. The TV itself is so crystal clear that it's almost like 3D without the glasses.

If you are on this forum looking to get information before you buy one of these, I highly recommend taking the plunge. You will not be disappointed. I have the 55" version. There was some talk about the larger sets having banding problems. Don't know if that still applies.
post #4709 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Now what makes you think anyone would say boooo about Natural? I get the best blacks and color reproduction from Natu, wait Natural???? Oh yeah... Booooooooooo. Sorry, JD is my buddy at the moment so I had to have fun. Congrats on still loving it, man! Very true about settings not always translating correctly - not to mention we all have preferences on what we like to see.

I have DirecTV too. I agree their 3D leave much to be desired. Think about it this way... a Blu-ray or even a streamed HD movie look so much better than DirecTV, which I think look better than HD on cable. 3D on Blu-ray..... puts the 3D you saw to shame on this TV. I've watched that ESPN 3D channel many times, so trust me.

Yeah it still seems that a lot of people (here at least) are having banding issues with the 65".

I agree about getting a surround system. Even if someone doesn't want to spend much, go grab a home theater in a box set up - it will be an awesome upgrade.

Now for my one question. You say you're getting the soap opera effect and the stuttering issue, although it doesn't bother you. Nitra might disagree but based on my experience and a lot of others', this tell me you're not using the Clear AMP setting. Which are you using?

post #4710 of 16240 Old 09-30-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, that digital download on the Avengers Blu-ray was SD. WTF is up with that? Very disappointed in that. I know that's the movie studios decision but give me a break. I bought it in HD, give me an HD copy so I don't feel the need to rip it.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page