Forum Jump: 

post #4771 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Even if you upgrade your receiver without video processing, you will notice a tremendous difference in the sound processing. (See below)
Audio Limitations
Optical cables support surround sound with up to 5.1 channels, while HDMI supports Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD and TrueHD formats. While most television programming is broadcast in surround sound, many Blu-ray discs offer enhanced sound quality. If you're an avid Blu-ray watcher and want the best possible sound, HDMI is the best choice for you.
Yeah thanks. I decided on the Yamaha RX-V373 at $250. It doesn't have the video upgrading feature, and "only" 4 HDMI inputs, but all the video processing features of the more expensive models, and the automatic speaker adjustment feature (with an included mike). I like that feature. I don't know how many discs have the newer sound processing features on them, but I'm willing to find out. The HDMI thing is an upgrade for sure. When I got this one optical was regarded as the hot thing as was sVHS. Times change.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 03:16 PM

Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Liked: 70
The Onkyo 616 is $389 on Amazon and I think it has 4K upscaling which is good for down the road I guess.

Just want to give everyone heads up that was considering buying the Square Trade warranty from Costco.com for your set for $99. You have to buy it within 60 days of your delivery
post #4773 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 03:25 PM

Liked: 25
Yeah, I don't think the 4K feature pertains to me. I need 3D passthrough for my new player, and the sound processor choices (I have Dolby digital 5/1 and DSP I think), the HDMI inputs, and the speaker tweaking. That should do it for awhile lol. Can you rent 3D videos at Netflix? I quit them a couple years ago but if they will mail them I'd think about that. At $30 a pop they add up real quick. And what setting on Handbrake is the best for ripping to use with an Apple3 TV (the 1080p one)? I've been using Apple TV2, but that's probably 720p right?

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #4774 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

Yeah thanks. I decided on the Yamaha RX-V373 at $250. It doesn't have the video upgrading feature, and "only" 4 HDMI inputs, but all the video processing features of the more expensive models, and the automatic speaker adjustment feature (with an included mike). I like that feature. I don't know how many discs have the newer sound processing features on them, but I'm willing to find out. The HDMI thing is an upgrade for sure. When I got this one optical was regarded as the hot thing as was sVHS. Times change.

Virtually ALL of the movies you rent these days will be in Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio; Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio.

You will notice an improved "depth of sound" to the soundtracks. It will make your movie watching much more enjoyable. And the convenience of "HDMI" and probably the ability to see what the source is (video and audio signal) plus the ability to "tweak" the sound to your environment.

Enjoy!!

P.S. - I do not know if you have the latest HDMI cables (they do make a difference) - but on the web - http://www.mycablemart.com has great deals on quality cables. You can save yourself some $$$. (Not trying to push any one site - - if you find something cheaper/better, then great!)

(From website)

High Speed HDMI EXTREME SERIES Cable 26/24 AWG 13.2Gbps
Our HIGH-SPEED triple shielded EXTREME and FLEX EXTREME SERIES (24 and 26 gauge) HDMI Cables are fully certified by Silicon's Images testing facilities, supporting full 3D, 4K Colors, and Audio Return Channel. All come in an attractive "net jacket" and are UL listed for In-Wall (Class-2) installation. Supports ANY TV or device up to speeds of 15.2Gbps! Our FLEX EXTREME HDMI cables are recommended when you are running a Multi-segment HDMI connection - such as connecting an HDTV to a RECEIVER and then from the receiver to a BluRay player. Our FLEX EXTREME Series cables use 26AWG cable compared to our standard EXTREME Series Cables allowing for greater flexibility. Note: HDMI Cables (with Ethernet Capabilities) are 100% downward compatible with HDMI Cables that are NOT manufactured with ethernet functionality and can be used for ANY equipment requiring HDMI cables

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #4775 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 04:33 PM

Liked: 11
Just came home and the TV was on. Left home this morning and it was off. Came home and notice it was on. I have AT&T Uverse so the screen was blue with the AT&T screen saver on. No telling how long it was on for. Anyway of knowing if it might had burn up any pixels or anything ?? Anyone else have uverse ??
post #4776 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDenham View Post

Just came home and the TV was on. Left home this morning and it was off. Came home and notice it was on. I have AT&T Uverse so the screen was blue with the AT&T screen saver on. No telling how long it was on for. Anyway of knowing if it might had burn up any pixels or anything ?? Anyone else have uverse ??

Sorry, I saw your back door was open and helped myself. I owe you for a bag of Funyuns and a Coke and I'm sorry if I left any footprints on the carpet, your sprinkler was on. And I apologize but you were out of air freshener in the bathroom

smile.gif

post #4777 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
That was great! smile.gif

I've heard of this before. Didn't firmware fix that? Maybe it was voice or motion control sensing something.
post #4778 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about the set. I have Uverse. Just before my DVR recently died there was a few times it was on in the morning. It was somehow coming on by itself. The set wasn't on though. I would have Uverse ping your box and do a hard reset on it. It may be going bad.
post #4779 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

Sorry, I saw your back door was open and helped myself. I owe you for a bag of Funyuns and a Coke and I'm sorry if I left any footprints on the carpet, your sprinkler was on. And I apologize but you were out of air freshener in the bathroom
smile.gif

Hahahhaha that's classic smile.gif good one brotha..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

That was great! smile.gif
I've heard of this before. Didn't firmware fix that? Maybe it was voice or motion control sensing something.

I have the voice and motion turned off. I was just worried that it didt burn pixel from being on for who knows how long. Even tho the AT&T box was turned off and the AT&T box screen saver deal was on.
post #4780 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh nah, you're fine, man.
post #4781 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

I would have upgraded long ago if I was you, just to reduce crosstalk for one. A lot of "C" series televisions suffer from crosstalk in 3D

Hope it helps,
Mike

Thanks Mike for the very informative reply. I'll definitely try to locate a BD-D6700 if possible, otherwise wait for next year's model. I didn't notice / realize the crosstalk issue, I hardly ever "watch" any blu-ray 2d / 3d at home. I guess my kids are too young (8 & 10) to give me feed back about that, they are the ones who watch 3D and blu-ray...and my wife mostly just watch Netflix and streams...while I only watch the Satellite 30mins / an hour a day.

Elton.
gamermwm likes this.
post #4782 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Op's Guy View Post

I wouldn't worry about the set. I have Uverse. Just before my DVR recently died there was a few times it was on in the morning. It was somehow coming on by itself. The set wasn't on though. I would have Uverse ping your box and do a hard reset on it. It may be going bad.

Hmmm. But the box was powered off. Just the set was on :-/
post #4783 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 08:57 PM

< paranoid kinda guy with my tv hahaha
post #4784 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 PM

Liked: 10
I noticed today for the first time that the scrolling text at the bottom of news and sports tickers stutters randomly based on the content being shown. It never used to do it before. Anyone else have this issue? It makes the text unreadable, very annoying.
post #4785 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

OTA definitely looks best, agreed. As for DirecTV, I agree that setting the output on 720p looked better than 1080i. In other words, 720p channels didn't look as good on the 1080i setting as 1080i does on the 720p setting, BUT I found that both look best at their native resolutions, so I set my DirecTV DVR to output the native resolutions instead. If you do this though, tell the DVR that your TV is not capable of handling 480, otherwise your menus will turn into SD menus when it switched to those resolutions.

You're lucky you can do that. I cannot because the new FiOS boxes which I have makes you choose one or the other in the settings - there is no option for outputting the native resolutions. Lame.
post #4786 of 16208 Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i think you meant Clear not Smooth, right? I agree - no matter the source, I get the same issue that you do.

Yeah, sorry about that. I meant clear. It's the only setting that works smoothly for me.

I tried it tonight and the motion seems to be the same as ever for me. It's certainly the least noticeable of all the presets but it looks the same as always to me, there's no change in how strong the effect is.
post #4787 of 16208 Old 10-02-2012, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conflix View Post

I noticed today for the first time that the scrolling text at the bottom of news and sports tickers stutters randomly based on the content being shown. It never used to do it before. Anyone else have this issue? It makes the text unreadable, very annoying.

Do you have your cable/satellite box set to 720p or 1080i? If it's 1080i then that could be the reason. I've seen this happen also to some of my channels randomly, the tickers are easy to see the stuttering. If you're using 1080i, check your tv menu under film mode - you have a choice of off, auto1 or auto2, and it's hot or miss which will work better. That can help. I believe if you set your cable box to output 720p you shouldn't have that issue. Film mode auto1 and auto2 work to process the interlaced signals, and that can help avoid stuttering like that - with 720p that shouldn't be an issue. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong about that.
post #4788 of 16208 Old 10-02-2012, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Some very strange things are going on now that I'm playing more with the modes, still trying to find settings I'm happy with (color is a problem for me). There's definitely something that has changed with the last update. There just has to be. I've never been able, no matter how hard I tried, to get movie mode looking anything like standard mode (except in 3D). Never in 2D. Movie mode always looks washed out due to lack of micro-dimming. But now I currently have movie mode set up so that it looks so close to standard I can't tell the difference, in fact I like movie mode a bit better. Most settings are identical except standard backlight is set to 7-8, and movie is set to 15 to get the same brightness as standard at 7-8. Switching between the two modes, they look extremely similar now, and movie actually does look better (other than the very noticeable clouding during dark scenes at such a high backlight setting). So how can that be?

Also, I was playing with Natural a bit tonight and I gotta say, after I dropped the color saturation waaay down, and tweaked the other settings a bit (advanced is greyed out), I was floored with how much better the color seemed to look compared to standard and movie modes. If the color on Natural is way up then it will look dreadful, but I have the color saturation at only 15! - and the skin tones look really nice - it makes my current movie and standard color settings look lifeless and green. Natural does seem to be a bit harsh and I'm certain it probably crushes black (haven't tested it with my AVS disc yet), and it looks like dynamic contrast is set probably on high (no way to change it). Plus of course auto-dimming/CE dimming so I wouldn't use this regularly. But now I absolutely hate my standard/movie color settings. I wish I could figure out how to get the skin tones in standard/movie to look like they do currently in Natural, because skin tones look very unrealistic right now in standard and movie, and they look so much better in natural mode.
post #4789 of 16208 Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Some very strange things are going on now that I'm playing more with the modes, still trying to find settings I'm happy with (color is a problem for me). There's definitely something that has changed with the last update. There just has to be. I've never been able, no matter how hard I tried, to get movie mode looking anything like standard mode (except in 3D). Never in 2D. Movie mode always looks washed out due to lack of micro-dimming. But now I currently have movie mode set up so that it looks so close to standard I can't tell the difference, in fact I like movie mode a bit better. Most settings are identical except standard backlight is set to 7-8, and movie is set to 15 to get the same brightness as standard at 7-8. Switching between the two modes, they look extremely similar now, and movie actually does look better (other than the very noticeable clouding during dark scenes at such a high backlight setting). So how can that be?
Also, I was playing with Natural a bit tonight and I gotta say, after I dropped the color saturation waaay down, and tweaked the other settings a bit (advanced is greyed out), I was floored with how much better the color seemed to look compared to standard and movie modes. If the color on Natural is way up then it will look dreadful, but I have the color saturation at only 15! - and the skin tones look really nice - it makes my current movie and standard color settings look lifeless and green. Natural does seem to be a bit harsh and I'm certain it probably crushes black (haven't tested it with my AVS disc yet), and it looks like dynamic contrast is set probably on high (no way to change it). Plus of course auto-dimming/CE dimming so I wouldn't use this regularly. But now I absolutely hate my standard/movie color settings. I wish I could figure out how to get the skin tones in standard/movie to look like they do currently in Natural, because skin tones look very unrealistic right now in standard and movie, and they look so much better in natural mode.

It's getting more and more mysterious .. We finally need some clear info on this.
post #4790 of 16208 Old 10-02-2012, 01:25 AM

Liked: 16
I live in Europe and here the newest firmware version is 1018.1. Has anyone any idea when the newest firmware becomes available for us ?
post #4791 of 16208 Old 10-02-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you just jump on the Natural, train, Eagle? Tisk, tisk. smile.gif
Natural doesn't use Warm 2, so maybe you'd prefer that in Movie or Standard. I prefer seeing a picture as close as possible to how it was intended but everyone is different so give it a try. I'm glad to hear you're seeing a big change in movie mode though. It sounds like what Anthony and some others were talking about.
post #4792 of 16208 Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Standard to Natural to Movie modes???

I'll try to be brief after staying in Standard for the past 3 months I explored:
Using "The Fifth Element" and "StarWars"

-Natural is cool for some stuff but way unnatural even if it gives the illusion of washing out Standard and Movie modes
-Movie mode...nice BUT...it exposed a boatload of clouding and uniformity I never saw and enhanced flashlighting too much

So I definately went back to Standard; learned from Movie to dial in sharpness, contrast and color temp better because my real issue was blooming if anything...Now I think for my panel the ticket is:

Standard
Backlight 12
Contrast 90
Brightness 47
Sharpness 20
Color 52
Screen Adjustment Screen Fit

Dynamic contrast Off
Black Tone Off
Expert pattern off
xvYCC off
Motion lighting off
Black enhancer off

Color tone Warm 1
Digital Noise Filter Auto
MPEG Noise Filter Auto
HDMI Black Level Normal
Film mode Auto1
Auto Motion Plus Standard
LED motion plus Off

ECO Sensor OFF

This seems to have increased vividness and pop, decreased some "haze" associated with Standard, controlled detail and brought under control the whites...

Just my 2.5 cents guys.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #4793 of 16208 Old 10-02-2012, 06:59 AM

So I found these setting for last years D8000 LED.. They were done by a professional and posted online somewhere. I'm posting it because I noticed that even this one has Dynamic Contrast on and Black Tone on low. Some of these setting look good, but some seem a little off. I saved them a while back and now I can't remember where they came from

CALIBRATION SETTINGS
Picture Mode:
Movie
Backlight
Contrast
Brightness
Sharpness
Color
Tint
G50/R50

PICTURE OPTIONS
Color tone
STANDARD
Digital Noise Filter
Turn “OFF” for high-qualty digital Blu-ray movies with no grain, otherwise, set to “LOW”. Set to “AUTO” for very grainy movies
MPEG Noise Filter
OFF
HDMI Black Level
Leave disabled (or Normal for PC’s)
Auto Motion Plus
Custom – Antiblur=10, Antijudder=3
Smart LED
High
Cinema Black
ON

ADVANCED SETTINGS
Black Tone
Dark
Dynamic Contrast
Low
GAMMA
Expert Pattern
OFF
RGB Only Mode
OFF
Color Space
Custom
10p White Balance
On
Flesh Tone
Edge Enhancement
ON
Motion Lighting
OFF
LED Motion Plus
ON – “Normal”

10P WHITE BALANCE = ON
Interval
Red
Green
Blue

COLOR SPACE
Color Space
Red
Green
Blue
Red
Green
Blue
Yellow
Cyan
Magenta

NOTE: USE AUTO MOTION PLUS = “CLEAR” IF YOU SEE A LOT OF STUTTERING
post #4794 of 16208 Old 10-02-2012, 07:12 AM

Notice a lot of y'all have Screen Adjustment set to SCREEN FIT. I have mine to 16:9. What's the diff ?? Plus I only watch the HD channels on my cable box.
post #4795 of 16208 Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:

Notice a lot of y'all have Screen Adjustment set to SCREEN FIT. I have mine to 16:9. What's the diff ?? Plus I only watch the HD channels on my cable box.

All source information is compressed when not set to screen fit. Plus all information video wise will not be present.
post #4796 of 16208 Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you just jump on the Natural, train, Eagle? Tisk, tisk. smile.gif
Natural doesn't use Warm 2, so maybe you'd prefer that in Movie or Standard. I prefer seeing a picture as close as possible to how it was intended but everyone is different so give it a try. I'm glad to hear you're seeing a big change in movie mode though. It sounds like what Anthony and some others were talking about.

Well the thing is, I hate colors that look oversaturated, and I like my skin tones to look natural. In general I'm not a big fan of warm2, or even warm1 sometimes, because I don't like the yellowish look the image can take on in warm modes. I don't know why but currently "natural" mode with "normal" color temperature is delivering very true-to-life skin tones for me - it makes the other modes with custom color space and white balance settings look sickly in comparison. Natural certainly doesn't look right with the color saturation way up, but when subdued, I think it's the closest yet I've been to good skin tones. I'm still not sure if the overall color is accurate, but just concerning skin tones, natural looks very nice.

My girlfriend was playing with the color saturation the other day in movie mode and asked what the AVS disc said the color should be and I said 48 - she tried it and agreed that colors look way off and over-saturated at such a high setting. We have ours way lower, around 30 for standard and movie, and the colors seem more true-to-life instead of hyper-saturated. But I'm having a real tough time with skin tones. My last CRT was simple to get natural looking skin tones; this set is a challenge.
post #4797 of 16208 Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Screen fit shows all the information present in the broadcast or signal. There is no cropping. 16:9 zooms in a bit, similar to overscan on a CRT, where the images is cropped off on all sides.

For DVDs, blu-rays and video/media players, screen-fit is the correct setting. For broadcast, satellite or cable, 16:9 can be helpful because some channels broadcast "garbage" on the bottom or top of the screen that isn't intended to be seen, and 16:9 crops just enough off to hide all that. In my area, NBC has a strange habit of sending their signal with a black bar only on the bottom, so the image never fills the bottom of the screen. One of the shopping channels has some color bars that can be seen on the bottom of the screen. TruTV usually has a line of junk at the top of the screen which is very unpleasant to look at. In these cases 16:9 crops that right out. Most of the channels don't have any problem though.
post #4798 of 16208 Old 10-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Well, last night I dug out my i1pro and Calman pattern generator and just ordered the software update from Calman to v5....should get serial number today. Just a question to anyone doing there setting with meters.....are you leaving eco mode on then switching it off after calibration? Or, any other setting's on or off during measurement.

Rick
post #4799 of 16208 Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Screen fit shows all the information present in the broadcast or signal. There is no cropping. 16:9 zooms in a bit, similar to overscan on a CRT, where the images is cropped off on all sides.
For DVDs, blu-rays and video/media players, screen-fit is the correct setting. For broadcast, satellite or cable, 16:9 can be helpful because some channels broadcast "garbage" on the bottom or top of the screen that isn't intended to be seen, and 16:9 crops just enough off to hide all that. In my area, NBC has a strange habit of sending their signal with a black bar only on the bottom, so the image never fills the bottom of the screen. One of the shopping channels has some color bars that can be seen on the bottom of the screen. TruTV usually has a line of junk at the top of the screen which is very unpleasant to look at. In these cases 16:9 crops that right out. Most of the channels don't have any problem though.

Thanks for the tip - I just changed my setting to "Screen Fit."

If I understand you correctly - - no cropping and native signal??? Is this documented anywhere by Samsung?

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #4800 of 16208 Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 AM

Ok everyone, here's a review on the 60" ES7100. In this review, it states that the Micro dimming is in fact connected to the Dynamic Contrast and Black Enhancer. I think they meant to also say the Black tone.. Check it out..

http://hometheaterreview.com/samsung-un60es7100-3d-ledlcd-hdtv/

Here's a review on the ES8000 which also states that the Dimming is controlled by the Dynamic Contrast and Black Enhancer.

http://hometheaterreview.com/samsung-un55es8000-ledlcd-hdtv/

This really explains why Im getting such inky blacks and vibrant colors with Dynamic on medium and sometimes, high with black tone on low
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page