post #5221 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Yeah, it's my first TV also with this issue, and I have many TV's and had many TVs through out the years and I've never seen this issue.. Or atleast this bad anyways.
What's scary though is that Samsung isn't documenting this issue as a known issue

I think its this blasted LED tech. My CCFL based LCD from 2008 does not have it at all. But even my top of the line new Sony HX950 has the vertical band, and its an LED too. I think we can't escape it for LED sets. You have to get plasma (and then get line bleed instead and dingy white screen), or wait for OLED and get : WHO KNOWS WHAT NEW ISSUES! Yay. rolleyes.gif
PeterG and Garnoch like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 12:29 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Does anyone notice the vertical Banding in these pics? Im trying to find the best pics to send to Samsung. I definitely see one band to the left

I see it. It looks like my old 7000, except not as light on the left and right edges.
post #5223 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 12:30 PM

Liked: 12
CE dimming...that's the one where the backlight turns off for a second? I was watching the credits to Hanna, and the screen would turn off for a moment between every page.

But then I tried all the modes; dynamic, standard, native, movie, and they *all* did the screen turnoff thingie. So does that mean CE dimming is now active in all modes?
post #5224 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
That's not CE Dimming, but I'm not sure what it's called. There is a way around that though. If you're not using Dynamic Contrast or Black Tone, bump you're brightness to 46. If you are using those, bump brightness to 47.

CE Dimming will do what appears to be a dimming of the screen during dark sections of a film to make the blacks look more black.
post #5225 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 04:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

From my understanding, film mode is Samsung's mode for dealing with interlaced content. If you have film mode on auto1 or auto 2 the tv will automatically detect film-based material when receiving 1080i, and handle it properly. I have no idea what the difference is between auto1 and auto2, and I suspect nobody else really knows either exactly which is right to use when.
When receiving progressive signals (480p,720p,1080p) film mode is unnecessary so it is greyed out.
EDIT: oh I see Anthony5362 answered that already.

Should I use Film Mode since my Uverse output is 1080i ??
post #5226 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Eh, I have mine on Film 1 because of something I read and now can't remember. But I've tried 1, 2, off - My sources only deliver 720p, 1080i and 1080p and I never see a difference in the minimal testing I've done for it.
post #5227 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 04:57 PM

Liked: 10
Anthony, I had 2 of the Sammy 65 ES8000's that looked just like the one in your first picture. I sent both of them back to BB. What I think is funny is Samsung isn't admitting a problem that my 12 year old boy noticed as soon as he looked at both sets. I really like the ES8000, but couldn't deal with that. I looked at the 70" Elite and the 80" Sharp, but both were out of my price range. I ended up with the Panasonic 65VT50 plasma. They delivered that a week ago. Not sure if I'm keeping it yet.
post #5228 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 04:59 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsung View Post

Am I the only one that is not as happy with 'The Avengers' 3d bluray. I don't know the right term to describe the issue that on dark scenes there is a mist-like film on screen. I have seen this on other movies such as 'Underworld Awakening' and the opening of 'How to train your dragon". Does anyone know what this is described as?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

I asked about that too but no one answered. Like the dark scene where Loki is talking about the invasion. The background is blurry and weird looking and it actually hurts your eyes. My whole family commented on it. I don't think that is an issue with the transfer though. It may have even been there in the theater but I don't remember it. It's almost as if when a shot has a blurred background, the conversion process to 3D isn't sure how to handle it. It's extra apparent during dark scenes. And I saw it on How to Train your Dragon too.

Didn't see this when we watched a few weeks back. I'll try and watch that chapter again in the next several days and check it out.
Garnoch likes this.
post #5229 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy-r View Post

Anthony, I had 2 of the Sammy 65 ES8000's that looked just like the one in your first picture. I sent both of them back to BB. What I think is funny is Samsung isn't admitting a problem that my 12 year old boy noticed as soon as he looked at both sets. I really like the ES8000, but couldn't deal with that. I looked at the 70" Elite and the 80" Sharp, but both were out of my price range. I ended up with the Panasonic 65VT50 plasma. They delivered that a week ago. Not sure if I'm keeping it yet.

Another 65". What a shame. For some people the Plasma works. I wish it did for me but doesn't on many levels. Would you mind saying why you might not keep it and what your next possible purchase is?
post #5230 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokeR View Post

now that most of you have bought the es8000, are you happy with your purchase? would you recommed it? I have been reading alot of these threads lately its either the 7500 or 8000 model (60")
Thanks

I remain tickled pink with this set. We have the 55" version - it sounds like 65" has a lot more of a "panel lottery" around vertical banding just from reading this thread - I don't know about the 60". I figured I would probably be happy with the 7500, but stumbled into a deal, and ready availability, on the 8000 so got it. I shopped other brands, but all LCD, and settled on the Samsung. No real complaints - I can see off-angle viewing degradation, but not enough for me or my family to be troubled, and really only when I look for it (and creep up close and step sharply to one side). One upside surprise has been 3D - it was a consideration in my shopping because I hoped that 3D in home would be worthwhile, but I was skeptical that (i) it would be truly engaging, and (ii) that quality source material would be available. So it was a factor, but not a critical factor; and the factor when I was shopping around favorded Samsung. My family and I have been enthusiastic about the 3D capabilities of this set, so much so that we're definitely hungry for more quality content. The 3D really is very solid. I never compared the 7500 and the 8000 side by side - I just knew that the "upgrade" for the 8000 was the otherwise undefined "MD Ultimate" versus "MD Pro" -- I didn't assign any significant additional value to the other feature differences as described in the marketing literature (though the Skype camera kit had some minor appeal given that we'd been Skype-ing with distant family for a while froma PC), and frankly can't speak to whether there is anything real to the MD levels in terms of immersive viewing experience (or, for that matter, the "clear motion" rate which is goofy marketing around the interplay around multiple technologies in these sets).

So, very happy with the purchase; didn't do detailed side-by-side between the 7500 and the 8000; just based on forum comments, vertical banding seems more common at 65" than 55" (don't know about 60"), but this strikes me in any event as a technology constraint more than a brand issue just based on other LCD threads.
Garnoch likes this.
post #5231 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 05:21 PM

Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Liked: 70
Quote:

The VT50 seems to be the one that everyone gets when they aren't happy with this one. I'm just not a plasma person. I've had Plasmas before, but only Samsung. I've never owned a Panasonic, but hear they are very reliable. Consumer reports has them on the top and Samsung on the bottom as far as reliability goes.

I'm surprised though that there aren't more trying out the Sony HX850. Guess cause the biggest is only a 55". That and the new HX950 are the only other ones I would consider. Everyone keeps saying though that plasma is the way to go. I have a D8000 plasma and like it, but I think I like the more bright vibrant picture that the LED gives.
post #5232 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post

I see it. It looks like my old 7000, except not as light on the left and right edges.

Anthony - I see it in all pics. #1 and #5 are most jarring to my eye. #1 becasue multiple bands stand out, and #5 because it's a more "active" screenshot in terms of potential focuses of attention, and still my eye is drawn to the band on the left, especially the sky and the white surf.
post #5233 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt99 View Post

Anthony - I see it in all pics. #1 and #5 are most jarring to my eye. #1 becasue multiple bands stand out, and #5 because it's a more "active" screenshot in terms of potential focuses of attention, and still my eye is drawn to the band on the left, especially the sky and the white surf.

Thanks for your input.. That last pic is the main picture that Samsung goes by whenever you have an issue with the picture. It's called the "test" picture and is located in the menu under diagnostics, I think, I'm not near it but that's the main picture they want to see when you go to them with a picture quality issue..

I'm more concerned with the other issue that I'm having on my D8000 LED that I'm also noticing it on this one now. It's very subtle on the ES, but it was subtle on the D also at first and then it just got worse and worse. The banding bothers me though, but not as bad as the artifacts I get on both sides where there's dark scenes.

Honestly though, I don't know what to think anymore. We shouldn't be stressed out when buying a TV that cost so much. We should be able to have fun with it and enjoy it, not worry about issues so soon and what makes MD work and what not. I'm spending more time messing with the settings than I am watching it. It shouldn't be like that
post #5234 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed. You need some luck to go your way, Anthony. When the tech comes back, so you think he'd give you a quick opinion on if you should contact Samsung about the ES?
post #5235 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Best Avatar Award goes to Catt. Thought it was boobs at first, but thats' just how my mind works. That being said, I hope you're a lady, because that's one fine ass and an awesome tattoo hahaha.
post #5236 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Best Avatar Award goes to Catt. Thought it was boobs at first, but thats' just how my mind works. That being said, I hope you're a lady, because that's one fine ass and an awesome tattoo hahaha.

LoL!!
post #5237 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Agreed. You need some luck to go your way, Anthony. When the tech comes back, so you think he'd give you a quick opinion on if you should contact Samsung about the ES?

Hahah! Get this.. The tech said he didn't know what Vertical banding was.. The other thing about these Samsung techs is that they work for Samsung, so they are usually on their side. I even heard today that Samsung even co owns a lot of the repair shops that fix Samsung TV's. not the small ones but the larger ones that usually service a few states

I own a Ton of Samsung products. Electronics, and appliances etc.. I've been very loyal to the brand for many years now, so all this comes as a shock to me when I email them and call them for info on their Technology and issues and I don't get them right away. You would think that after they see that I own so many of their stuff, and have always for years, that they would get back to me right away when I have a issue.

I hate to bring it up again, but if this was Apple, my issues wouldn't be issues anymore. I have my own senior advisor I deal with there and he would have all my questions answered a month ago the first time I asked. These issue with my sets, would have been fixed already. This is some very slow, poor support Im getting here.
post #5238 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, you've been trying to get direct answers from the source for a while. I'd be just as pissed.
post #5239 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Yeah, you've been trying to get direct answers from the source for a while. I'd be just as pissed.

It's been a long time Garnoch since I first asked them for information on how to use the Micro-Dimming and which settings it works with and which ones it doesn't. I've sent many emails and even spoke to them and was told on Friday, that I will be receiving an Email with this info. It's now Monday and close to a month later and still no info for everyone. This is not a good sign guys..

And on top of all this, my D8000 needs to be repaired and my brand new $3,500 65" ES is having the same issues as my D8000 is being repaired for. This isn't a good sign
post #5240 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

It's been a long time Garnoch since I first asked them for information on how to use the Micro-Dimming and which settings it works with and which ones it doesn't. I've sent many emails and even spoke to them and was told on Friday, that I will be receiving an Email with this info. It's now Monday and close to a month later and still no info for everyone. This is not a good sign guys..
And on top of all this, my D8000 needs to be repaired and my brand new $3,500 65" ES is having the same issues as my D8000 is being repaired for. This isn't a good sign

Anthony - - do you run all your components and TV to a power line conditioner first? It doesn't make sense for this to be happening to both of your TV's.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #5241 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 06:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Another 65". What a shame. For some people the Plasma works. I wish it did for me but doesn't on many levels. Would you mind saying why you might not keep it and what your next possible purchase is?
I like the bright vibrant picture from the LEDs too. That why I'm not sure if I'm keeping the plasma. The PQ is great, but I feel like it's missing something. The image doesn't seem as detialed either, kind of soft. I'm out of ideas as far as LEDs go. I really don't want to go with anything smaller than a 65". The Elite is great, but at twice the price of the ES8000. I've really been thinking about the 80" sharp 844U, but that's pretty pricey too and I've read mixed reviews on it. I guess I could wait and take a look at the new Sony when it comes out. Any other suggestions?
post #5242 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

That's not CE Dimming, but I'm not sure what it's called. There is a way around that though. If you're not using Dynamic Contrast or Black Tone, bump you're brightness to 46. If you are using those, bump brightness to 47.
CE Dimming will do what appears to be a dimming of the screen during dark sections of a film to make the blacks look more black.

I am getting a bit confused about the dimming. I have seen a lot of posts on that, but I still do not understand the difference between CE-dimming and Microdimming.

What is CE? Contrast Enhancer? Color Enhancer?
What is the difference between CE-dimming and Microdimming? How can I test the difference; what what kind of scenes?
I understand Microdimming is not active in Movie mode. Is CE-dimming active in movie mode?
post #5243 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Anthony - - do you run all your components and TV to a power line conditioner first? It doesn't make sense for this to be happening to both of your TV's.

Hey Rick,

Yes, I have everything going through a UPS and a Panamax line conditioner on all sets. I also had our electrician check everything with his meter.

How do you guys do that multi quote on here and respond to more than one person? I try but it doesn't work for me..
post #5244 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 PM

Also its not just my set. I posted those pics on the D8000 thread and others say that are having the same issue. Right when the warranty ends too
post #5245 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like the bright vibrant picture from the LEDs too. That why I'm not sure if I'm keeping the plasma. The PQ is great, but I feel like it's missing something. The image doesn't seem as detialed either, kind of soft. I'm out of ideas as far as LEDs go. I really don't want to go with anything smaller than a 65". The Elite is great, but at twice the price of the ES8000. I've really been thinking about the 80" sharp 844U, but that's pretty pricey too and I've read mixed reviews on it. I guess I could wait and take a look at the new Sony when it comes out. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for letting me know. Flavius has the 950 and is purchasing an ES8000 to do a comparison so follow that. The 950 may for for you on a 65" size, but it has it's own problems too and seems that the 3D doesn't compare - if that's important to you. Nice TV though. Otherwise, maybe wait for OLED to be more available and cheaper? Just don't know. If money isn't an issue, there's the Elite like you said, or a 75" ES9000. But on the cheaper side, the Vizio TVs have been getting some good word of mouth it seems. Or.... go back to the 8000 and don't let Samsung of the hook until you get a good one. Good luck, man.
post #5246 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 PM

This is true.. I just read a review on the new 60" Vizio and they were raving about the picture. They were saying it may even have a better pic than Samsung and LG. deeper black levels, etc.. And it's cheap.. $1,000 for a 60" thin LED
post #5247 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 PM

Where is Nitra? He is missed on here..
I just bought a Samsung camera. Hope I have better luck with that.. I don't know why I chose them after all of this. Guess I keep hoping things will change with them
post #5248 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman123 View Post

I am getting a bit confused about the dimming. I have seen a lot of posts on that, but I still do not understand the difference between CE-dimming and Microdimming.
What is CE? Contrast Enhancer? Color Enhancer?
What is the difference between CE-dimming and Microdimming? How can I test the difference; what what kind of scenes?
I understand Microdimming is not active in Movie mode. Is CE-dimming active in movie mode?

Don't worry about it - a lot are. It confuses me too to a point because of the lack of information and the fact that Micro Dimming seems tied to CE Dimming - yet Samsung doesn't admit that, so who knows.

Samsung says Micro Dimming "scans zones across the image and adjusts brightness to deliver deeper dark tones and brighter whites. It also eliminates the "halo" effect and image distortion that can happen with diffused lights. The Ultimate version of this technology optimizes the quality to new heights by scanning 2x the number of zones in the image. The result is a crystal-clear picture with realistic, vivid detail and accurate color reproduction." It darkens and lightens individual sections (zones) of the screen so that blacks look better and brighter areas stay bright. Think of a movie in widescreen. On a very simple level, the film would stay bright and the black bars would be very black. In Standard mode, you'll not less flashlighting in the corners because of Micro Dimming.

What is talked about as CE Dimming, makes sure the whole screen stay bright during bright scenes, yet darkens the whole screen during dark scenes (not in zones). This adds to making blacks better with less clouding and flashlighting too but for some of us, the negative effect drives us crazy. In Standard mode, if you want the opening scene to Star Wars, as the "crawl" goes away, you see just a star field, which you notice starts to go very dim, then the camera pans down to a planet. As the planet comes into view, you'll notice the stars get bright again. That is CE Dimming.

As for the issue you mentioned where the whole screen goes black, I don't know what it's called, but the TV is literally shutting the screen off momentarily. There seems to be a threshold of black that initiates it. Normally this will occur with your Brightness on 45 or lower. If you bump Brightness up to 46, it won't happen. Then if you turn Dynamic Contrast on Low and/or Black Tone on Dark, this "feature" will kick on again, shutting your screen off during black transitions, because that black threshold was achieved again, so you'll need to bump Brightness up to 47 to counteract it. Now if you say bump Black Tone even darker, you may once again need to bump Brightness to 48, if you don't want your screen to shut off.
post #5249 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Rick,
Yes, I have everything going through a UPS and a Panamax line conditioner on all sets. I also had our electrician check everything with his meter.
How do you guys do that multi quote on here and respond to more than one person? I try but it doesn't work for me..

Glad you have an electrician check it too, man.

Multi quote but clicking multi on all the quotes you want, then finish by also pushing one of the normal quote buttons.
post #5250 of 16208 Old 10-08-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is true.. I just read a review on the new 60" Vizio and they were raving about the picture. They were saying it may even have a better pic than Samsung and LG. deeper black levels, etc.. And it's cheap.. $1,000 for a 60" thin LED

There you go, Sammy. Now go buy it and report back to us!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page