Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 178 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5311 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 05:37 AM
 
Anthony5362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Blade runner,

I agree.. I love my set also.. But after having my D8000 which is my favorite since its just like the new ES9000 with the same hardware fail after the 1 year, and seeing all the quality control on the 65" models, Im just worried about longitivtiy here. Some people can't afford to buy a $3,000 TV every 2 years. Yes, every manufacturer has its issues and its not only Samsung, but I have to say, Samsung is the highest rated for problems. Just look on Consumer Reports. They rate Samsung on the bottom for reliability.

So is it worth it to have an amazing TV with the best 3D and picture if its only going to last 2 to 3 years? I don't mind spending the dough every 3 years for a new one, but I'm sure a lot of others don't want to, or just can't afford to.

With that being said, this TV does have an amazing picture. The 3D is the best on this TV than any other, but just make sure you purchased an extended warranty.

Just reading through the bad reviews on Samsungs B8500 and C8000 on Amazon, shows that they are still using bad Capasitors in these sets. I thought Samsung really fixed these issues with the 2009 models, but its happening to many with the 2009 - 2011. I bet in 1 to 2 years from now, well start seeing all the complaints for the 2012 models. I just want a good TV that will last me atleast 5 years with no issues whatsoever. It's really a hassle to have to have the tech come out and repair it, and then come out again and again.
Anthony5362 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5312 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bladerunner1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh...Preferably the Virgin Islands....
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Blade runner,
I agree.. I love my set also.. But after having my D8000 which is my favorite since its just like the new ES9000 with the same hardware fail after the 1 year, and seeing all the quality control on the 65" models, Im just worried about longitivtiy here. Some people can't afford to buy a $3,000 TV every 2 years. Yes, every manufacturer has its issues and its not only Samsung, but I have to say, Samsung is the highest rated for problems. Just look on Consumer Reports. They rate Samsung on the bottom for reliability.
So is it worth it to have an amazing TV with the best 3D and picture if its only going to last 2 to 3 years? I don't mind spending the dough every 3 years for a new one, but I'm sure a lot of others don't want to, or just can't afford to.
With that being said, this TV does have an amazing picture. The 3D is the best on this TV than any other, but just make sure you purchased an extended warranty.
Just reading through the bad reviews on Samsungs B8500 and C8000 on Amazon, shows that they are still using bad Capasitors in these sets. I thought Samsung really fixed these issues with the 2009 models, but its happening to many with the 2009 - 2011. I bet in 1 to 2 years from now, well start seeing all the complaints for the 2012 models. I just want a good TV that will last me atleast 5 years with no issues whatsoever. It's really a hassle to have to have the tech come out and repair it, and then come out again and again.
....

You bet Anthony. I am totally on board with your concerns because I really am not budgeted for a 3000 dollar tv every 2 to 3 years. I want 5-6 out of this one. My wife would never permit such budgetary approval as that would eat into vacation expenditure....and I simply must parasail and jetski in the Caribbean as often as possible.

I just pulled out my docs and this weekend will make sure I am registered on line with Sammy as well as I am definately going to Costco to join and get the "square trade" extended warranty lined up. HHGregg was the best retailer for my purposes with regard to all services needed for my purchase BUT....they quoted about 600 bucks for their extended warranty so I said "Naw, rolling the dice and will use my Cap-One charge card with a 25 dollar balance if I run into trouble down the road.

Sorry to hear about the history of problem you are having with Samsung. Definately something not to be ignored and I appreciate you sharing the data.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

Bladerunner1959 is offline  
post #5313 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bladerunner1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh...Preferably the Virgin Islands....
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Pic quality!

Guys, thanks so much for sharing the amazing wealth of calibration and tweaking information. I feel that I landed on my best picture settings yet.
Back to "movie" mode...yes, unlike standard mode i get rare clouding (so rare its tolerable) and slightly more flashlight BUT...so worth it...
12 Backlight
100 contrast
45 bright
25 sharp
51 color
COLOR TEMP standard: makes HUGE difference in obtaining a more natural palet as opposed to tannish tint in warm1 or 2 (IMHO)
AMP standard
LED Mo auto

ECO...all off ..this brings a rediculous dimming to the panel in my opinion...all eco anything is off! Only the nations economy needs to be turned on!

Me LOVE the SOE!

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

Bladerunner1959 is offline  
post #5314 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 AM
 
Anthony5362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Bladerunner,

If you aren't a member to Costco, try and purchase the warranty on Costco.com. I just bought something on BJ's wholesale which is like Costco and my membership expired and all they did was charge me a $6 dollar non member fee. I've done this before on Costco.com before I set up a online account. I just checked out as a guest and they charged me a non member fee. It's better than paying for a membership just to buy the warranty. Just wanted to give you heads up on that..

I'm pretty sure that if you shop on Costco.com, you don't need a membership. But, they will charge you a small fee for not being a member. It's very small compared to what the membership cost. If you go to the Costco store, then you definitely need to be a member. Even to just get into the store, you need to show your card, but online is a different story.

If you love the S.O.E effect, how come you don't use custom and put both judder and blu on 10? I agree, all Eco settings need to be off in Movie mode. Your settings look close to what mine are.

About the Vizio, its good we have them cause its company's like Vizio that put out good cheap TV's that make Samsung lower their prices. If we didn't have Vizio, I bet our ES8000 would cost a lot more. I wonder if this is why Samsung has been so aggressive lately with their promotions and lowering the costs on many models. They see Vizio as a competitor now that they are coming out with this new thin 60" LED for only $999
Anthony5362 is offline  
post #5315 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bladerunner1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh...Preferably the Virgin Islands....
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Bladerunner,
If you aren't a member to Costco, try and purchase the warranty on Costco.com. I just bought something on BJ's wholesale which is like Costco and my membership expired and all they did was charge me a $6 dollar non member fee. I've done this before on Costco.com before I set up a online account. I just checked out as a guest and they charged me a non member fee. It's better than paying for a membership just to buy the warranty. Just wanted to give you heads up on that..
I'm pretty sure that if you shop on Costco.com, you don't need a membership. But, they will charge you a small fee for not being a member. It's very small compared to what the membership cost. If you go to the Costco store, then you definitely need to be a member. Even to just get into the store, you need to show your card, but online is a different story.
If you love the S.O.E effect, how come you don't use custom and put both judder and blu on 10? I agree, all Eco settings need to be off in Movie mode. Your settings look close to what mine are.

Excellent Anthony. On-line it is for Costco. I will definately tinker with those settings , i thought mine were set to allow SOE at it's optimum. You are a 1080pAsauraus rex my friend!smile.gif

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

Bladerunner1959 is offline  
post #5316 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Anthony - that sucks about the long time reviews on Amazon. Definitely something to be worried about.

Bladerunner - That's awesome you found settings that you seem thrilled about! I know the feeling!

ECO - I actually love ECO mode but here's why.... We need a bright picture during the day, but at night it's too bright with the lights off and no sunlight. Yeah the higher backlight at night shows clouding more but that's not even the reason, it's just too bright for the room conditions. So when I use ECO, it's just dimming the backlight automatically for me based on my lighting. Even if you set your ECO setting to just one or two clicks below your normal backlight, it could make a difference for when your lighting changes. That being said, it doesn't surprise me that some people don't care for it.
Garnoch is offline  
post #5317 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 06:53 AM
 
Anthony5362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Someone disagreed with me on here about the whole Costco membership thing. This is from the Costco website.. Non-members pay an additional surcharge. Executive Members need to provide a membership number to receive credit for their 2% rebate.

As you can see, you don't need to be a member to buy this warranty. Sorry for all the ones that went out and bought a membership just to buy this warranty. I tried to explain that its not needed..
Anthony5362 is offline  
post #5318 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Member
 
7011jrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Bladerunner,
If you aren't a member to Costco, try and purchase the warranty on Costco.com. I just bought something on BJ's wholesale which is like Costco and my membership expired and all they did was charge me a $6 dollar non member fee. I've done this before on Costco.com before I set up a online account. I just checked out as a guest and they charged me a non member fee. It's better than paying for a membership just to buy the warranty. Just wanted to give you heads up on that..
I'm pretty sure that if you shop on Costco.com, you don't need a membership. But, they will charge you a small fee for not being a member. It's very small compared to what the membership cost. If you go to the Costco store, then you definitely need to be a member. Even to just get into the store, you need to show your card, but online is a different story.
If you love the S.O.E effect, how come you don't use custom and put both judder and blu on 10? I agree, all Eco settings need to be off in Movie mode. Your settings look close to what mine are.
About the Vizio, its good we have them cause its company's like Vizio that put out good cheap TV's that make Samsung lower their prices. If we didn't have Vizio, I bet our ES8000 would cost a lot more. I wonder if this is why Samsung has been so aggressive lately with their promotions and lowering the costs on many models. They see Vizio as a competitor now that they are coming out with this new thin 60" LED for only $999

I just purchased the Square Trade Plan from Costco.com, and you're right, it comes out to about $6 for a non-member surcharge, on top of the $99 for the protection plan itself. Pretty good deal overall - that price is hard to beat!

When you purchase, you get a confirmation/receipt right away, and then an email goes out through which you actually "register" your device.

Thanks for the heads up on this - it definitely is worth it, for peace of mind if nothing else!
7011jrs is offline  
post #5319 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 AM
 
Anthony5362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Garnoch, I don't care for it, only because i don't like to see the dimming happen like that. To me, its not as fast when its on Eco.

It's the best deal out there for a warranty.. People on here were joining Costco and paying over $50 just to buy this warranty, and I tried to explain, if you do it online, you don't need to also buy the membership.
Anthony5362 is offline  
post #5320 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
caloyzki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 42
is costco 3yrs extended warranty that cost $99 is a good place to get insurance for TV? what are the coverage of the insurance? i just bought a tv and i still dont have extended warranty.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
caloyzki is offline  
post #5321 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 AM
 
Anthony5362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
You need to buy the warranty before your 60 days of owning the set is up, otherwise y
It won't work when you need it too. Samsung charges $500 for an extra 3 years

Didn't you get your set calibrated by Kevin Miller? If I remember correctly, your the one with the LG that was using Kevin right?
Anthony5362 is offline  
post #5322 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Member
 
7011jrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Is anyone using DirecTV connected directly to their set via HDMI? I am seeing something that bothers me a little bit, and would like to get feedback from others. My settings have been tweaked and are very close to the latest posted by Garnoch (Thanks again - the PQ is simply incredible!)

I know it would be easier to post a picture of this, but I have not had an opportunity to do so...

All of my menus, content, etc. looks great, BUT, when I pull up "Info" through DirecTV, the logo has a whitish/gray stripe on either side, left and right, but this type of effect does not appear anywhere else on the screen, only around that logo/area. Any other artifact-type effects have all but disappeared since the set has burnt in and my settings have been tweaked.

Is anyone else seeing this? I can post pictures, but just not right at this time.

I appreciate any help I can get.
7011jrs is offline  
post #5323 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 AM
 
Anthony5362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

is costco 3yrs extended warranty that cost $99 is a good place to get insurance for TV? what are the coverage of the insurance? i just bought a tv and i still dont have extended warranty.

Costcos a great place for everything! If you buy a TV from there, they give you 90 days to return it. Also, all their TVs purchased directly from Costco come with a 2 year warranty right off the bat. They are an amazing company to deal with. Just like Amazon is. Amazon sells the same warranty as Costco, but its a lot more than $99

I don't have direct TV so I can't help you there..a lot of people on here do though I think
Anthony5362 is offline  
post #5324 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7011jrs View Post

I just purchased the Square Trade Plan from Costco.com, and you're right, it comes out to about $6 for a non-member surcharge, on top of the $99 for the protection plan itself. Pretty good deal overall - that price is hard to beat!
When you purchase, you get a confirmation/receipt right away, and then an email goes out through which you actually "register" your device.
Thanks for the heads up on this - it definitely is worth it, for peace of mind if nothing else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Someone disagreed with me on here about the whole Costco membership thing. This is from the Costco website.. Non-members pay an additional surcharge. Executive Members need to provide a membership number to receive credit for their 2% rebate.
As you can see, you don't need to be a member to buy this warranty. Sorry for all the ones that went out and bought a membership just to buy this warranty. I tried to explain that its not needed..

This is great news, so now I have to do it. Is it possible for someone to give me a direct link and tell me how what I need being I didn't buy from them? I'm now convinced Anthony works for or maybe even owns Costco though. smile.gif
Garnoch is offline  
post #5325 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7011jrs View Post

Is anyone using DirecTV connected directly to their set via HDMI? I am seeing something that bothers me a little bit, and would like to get feedback from others. My settings have been tweaked and are very close to the latest posted by Garnoch (Thanks again - the PQ is simply incredible!)
I know it would be easier to post a picture of this, but I have not had an opportunity to do so...
All of my menus, content, etc. looks great, BUT, when I pull up "Info" through DirecTV, the logo has a whitish/gray stripe on either side, left and right, but this type of effect does not appear anywhere else on the screen, only around that logo/area. Any other artifact-type effects have all but disappeared since the set has burnt in and my settings have been tweaked.
Is anyone else seeing this? I can post pictures, but just not right at this time.
I appreciate any help I can get.

So it may be just a graphic that DirecTV is is using when you push Info? I may need a reminder, but I'll try to remember to check when I get home, because I have DirecTV.
I'm glad you're digging your picture!
Garnoch is offline  
post #5326 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7011jrs View Post

I just purchased the Square Trade Plan from Costco.com, and you're right, it comes out to about $6 for a non-member surcharge, on top of the $99 for the protection plan itself. Pretty good deal overall - that price is hard to beat!
When you purchase, you get a confirmation/receipt right away, and then an email goes out through which you actually "register" your device.
Thanks for the heads up on this - it definitely is worth it, for peace of mind if nothing else!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Someone disagreed with me on here about the whole Costco membership thing. This is from the Costco website.. Non-members pay an additional surcharge. Executive Members need to provide a membership number to receive credit for their 2% rebate.
As you can see, you don't need to be a member to buy this warranty. Sorry for all the ones that went out and bought a membership just to buy this warranty. I tried to explain that its not needed..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

This is great news, so now I have to do it. Is it possible for someone to give me a direct link and tell me how what I need being I didn't buy from them? I'm now convinced Anthony works for or maybe even owns Costco though. smile.gif

Anthony, you're right what when you go to sign in after selecting to purchase the Costo plan that it say this....

"Non-members pay an additional surcharge. Executive Members need to provide a membership number to receive credit for their 2% rebate."

BUT, on the page before you get to that point, where you would add the warranty to your cart, it says this.....

"Costco's SquareTrade pricing is exclusive to Costco Members. You must purchase a SquareTrade Service Plan from a Costco Warehouse or from www.costco.com. Costco members may also purchase a SquareTrade Service plan to cover a new TV purchased outside of Costco from an authorized retailer in the US. Service Plan must be bought within 60 days of purchasing the TV. *Excludes limited life consumables such as batteries and lamps."

I just reread what 7011jrs wrote though, so I'll just attempt to go through with it and see what happens.

http://www.costco.com/.product.11680336.html

LIVE UPDATE smile.gif
Once you put in your information, when you get to the point where you pay, it says in red text, "Note: Your Costco.com account does not currently have a Membership Number on file. You will be assessed a non-member surcharge. Please update your account with an existing membership number or add a membership to your cart to avoid paying the non-member surcharge."

CONTINUED LIVE UPDATE
Purchase is complete as a non-menber and the cost was $99 + $5 non-member fee + tax. In less than a minute I received my first email from Costco which says, "Thank you for your purchase. Once your credit card is processed, SquareTrade will send you an email detailing the process needed to register your service plan; please follow these directions carefully. If you have any questions please call SquareTrade at 1-877-927-7268. This Product is not available for sale to customers in Puerto Rico."
Garnoch is offline  
post #5327 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Senior Member
 
cglenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Beavercreek, OR
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
More comparison between the 7000 and 8000 (or, I sing the 8000 virtues)

In addition to a MUCH sharper picture, I have found over the past few days how easy it is to get a good setting, regardless of source. But first, I must say I haven't gone back to some personally burned DVD from SVHS tape as original source.

What I mean is that, whatever DirectV channel, movie or otherwise, I tune to, whatever DVD (BR or regular) I put in, whatever sports event I tune to (OTA-HD or DTV), at whatever time of day (one wall is a large west-facing picture window), I am able to tweek the backlight/bright/contrast/color so the picture looks good. On the 7000, it was always a compromise; see the details and get blinded, or go easy on the eyes and wonder what exactly is that thing in the corner. I had great difficulty getting anything to look good for all parts of an image.

The 8000 seems much more responsive to these simple changes. One notch on the backlight was easily visible at night, while it would have been 2 or 3 notches on the 7000. The 8000 seems to brighten equally across the image, while the 7000 would end up with the part you want the most looking okay, but other parts would be off in some way.

I'm really thinking the 7000 had something seriously wrong with how it works. Considering I went thru 3 panels, it must be the chips (sans dip!) which were, according to the tech, within specs.

PS. I just got the square trade warrantee from Costco. I'm not a member, and the surcharge was just $5. Three extra years! Note that if you are a member, the regular plus extended gives you 5 years, but if not a member, you dont' get the one year extra of concierge service (e.g., year 2 is this), so it's just 4 years.

Garnoch: Note the website says *pricing* is exclusive to members. It does not say the square trade warantee is exclusive to members.
cglenn is offline  
post #5328 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
If anyone is interested in the latest gen Apple TV at a discounted price, Apple now has them in refurbished stock for $85 and free shipping. I've bought many refurbished items from Apple over the years, many. All have looked and performed as new and they come with the same warranty.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD199LL/A?afid=p201%7C3523236&cid=AOS-US-AFF-FEED
Garnoch is offline  
post #5329 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM
 
Anthony5362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I'm really glad everyone's getting the warranty. Trust me, its better to be safe than sorry.

The only way you get the whole 5 years, is if you bought the TV from Costco. Otherwise, you get 3 extra years with a total of 4 years. So you should be covered now until 2017
Anthony5362 is offline  
post #5330 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Member
 
7011jrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Anthony, you're right what when you go to sign in after selecting to purchase the Costo plan that it say this....
"Non-members pay an additional surcharge. Executive Members need to provide a membership number to receive credit for their 2% rebate."
BUT, on the page before you get to that point, where you would add the warranty to your cart, it says this.....
"Costco's SquareTrade pricing is exclusive to Costco Members. You must purchase a SquareTrade Service Plan from a Costco Warehouse or from www.costco.com. Costco members may also purchase a SquareTrade Service plan to cover a new TV purchased outside of Costco from an authorized retailer in the US. Service Plan must be bought within 60 days of purchasing the TV. *Excludes limited life consumables such as batteries and lamps."
I just reread what 7011jrs wrote though, so I'll just attempt to go through with it and see what happens.
http://www.costco.com/.product.11680336.html
LIVE UPDATE smile.gif
Once you put in your information, when you get to the point where you pay, it says in red text, "Note: Your Costco.com account does not currently have a Membership Number on file. You will be assessed a non-member surcharge. Please update your account with an existing membership number or add a membership to your cart to avoid paying the non-member surcharge."
CONTINUED LIVE UPDATE
Purchase is complete as a non-menber and the cost was $99 + $5 non-member fee + tax. In less than a minute I received my first email from Costco which says, "Thank you for your purchase. Once your credit card is processed, SquareTrade will send you an email detailing the process needed to register your service plan; please follow these directions carefully. If you have any questions please call SquareTrade at 1-877-927-7268. This Product is not available for sale to customers in Puerto Rico."

You will receive another email, asking you to "finish the process" in which you register your product. You'll be asked for the purchase date, name of retailer (BB in my case), make, and model of the TV. It did not ask me for the serial number or location of purchase, which i found strange, however I did immediately receive confirmation that the warranty was accepted and active.
7011jrs is offline  
post #5331 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 01:16 PM
 
Anthony5362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Ok, so now you go to Square Trade.com and make up an account. From there, you add your serial info etc..

Idk why my name is showing offline here.
Anthony5362 is offline  
post #5332 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Member
 
7011jrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Actually, when i got the email to finish the process, it created my Square Trade account, but did not ask for serial number. I just logged into that account, and my warranty is approved, and valid for 5 years...until 2017, without having supplied a serial number.

I am wondering if I should expect another email or something via USPS that requires that information. Also, there is a link in my account where I can upload or email a copy of my receipt to my Square Trade account for future reference. This isn't a big deal, but it would be nice to sign into one place and have all of my information there together, so I am going to do that as well.
7011jrs is offline  
post #5333 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Still no followup email, but I'll get it sooner or later. Thanks, guys. I like to gamble and rarely get extended warranties but this one seems like a no brainier. 7011jrs, you got all 5 years?

Not asking for the s/n seems odd to me too, but surprisingly, registering on Samsung was the same thing. They said I could add the s/n only if I wanted to. Weird.
Garnoch is offline  
post #5334 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post

More comparison between the 7000 and 8000 (or, I sing the 8000 virtues)
In addition to a MUCH sharper picture, I have found over the past few days how easy it is to get a good setting, regardless of source. But first, I must say I haven't gone back to some personally burned DVD from SVHS tape as original source.
What I mean is that, whatever DirectV channel, movie or otherwise, I tune to, whatever DVD (BR or regular) I put in, whatever sports event I tune to (OTA-HD or DTV), at whatever time of day (one wall is a large west-facing picture window), I am able to tweek the backlight/bright/contrast/color so the picture looks good. On the 7000, it was always a compromise; see the details and get blinded, or go easy on the eyes and wonder what exactly is that thing in the corner. I had great difficulty getting anything to look good for all parts of an image.
The 8000 seems much more responsive to these simple changes. One notch on the backlight was easily visible at night, while it would have been 2 or 3 notches on the 7000. The 8000 seems to brighten equally across the image, while the 7000 would end up with the part you want the most looking okay, but other parts would be off in some way.
I'm really thinking the 7000 had something seriously wrong with how it works. Considering I went thru 3 panels, it must be the chips (sans dip!) which were, according to the tech, within specs.
PS. I just got the square trade warrantee from Costco. I'm not a member, and the surcharge was just $5. Three extra years! Note that if you are a member, the regular plus extended gives you 5 years, but if not a member, you dont' get the one year extra of concierge service (e.g., year 2 is this), so it's just 4 years.
Garnoch: Note the website says *pricing* is exclusive to members. It does not say the square trade warantee is exclusive to members.

Yeah, interesting how they word that.

I'm sure you're glad you decided on the 8000 when you gave up on the 7000. I know you weren't sure. Thanks for the update!
Garnoch is offline  
post #5335 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Member
 
7011jrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Yes, I got all 5 years...I went back to confirm, and it is a full 5 years, and I am not a Costco member. I've re-read the terms and conditions, status of my warranty, etc. So unless I am missing something, we have the full warranty.

On my Square Trade account, I click on the TV I just covered, and it pulls up lots of information regarding the warranty, however there isn't even a field for a Serial Number. I was surprised by that, but not really worried, based on what I see in regards to the coverage status.
7011jrs is offline  
post #5336 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
nitra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Should be noted, older sets did have a reliability issue, most of those issues were long ago ironed out.
Unfortunately it takes years to reflect this.

Also, secondary to this., picking up an aftermarket warranty totaling you to 4 years is a good thing, with technology advancing the way it is, personally, I'd not want to keep a set 5 generations behind.

For reference, I had an A750 that had the reliability issue, it was replaced under warranty (thanks squaretrade).
nitra is offline  
post #5337 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Garnoch is offline  
post #5338 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Garnoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,754
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7011jrs View Post

Yes, I got all 5 years...I went back to confirm, and it is a full 5 years, and I am not a Costco member. I've re-read the terms and conditions, status of my warranty, etc. So unless I am missing something, we have the full warranty.
On my Square Trade account, I click on the TV I just covered, and it pulls up lots of information regarding the warranty, however there isn't even a field for a Serial Number. I was surprised by that, but not really worried, based on what I see in regards to the coverage status.

I'll check after everything is finalized and report back. I didn't see anything that said we wouldn't get the extra year when I bought it, but technically we bought a 3-year warranty - know what I mean? I'll let you know how I make out.
Garnoch is offline  
post #5339 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 01:50 PM
 
Anthony5362's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7011jrs View Post

Yes, I got all 5 years...I went back to confirm, and it is a full 5 years, and I am not a Costco member. I've re-read the terms and conditions, status of my warranty, etc. So unless I am missing something, we have the full warranty.
On my Square Trade account, I click on the TV I just covered, and it pulls up lots of information regarding the warranty, however there isn't even a field for a Serial Number. I was surprised by that, but not really worried, based on what I see in regards to the coverage status.

You have to really read the fine print, but somewhere it mentions that if you didn't buy the set from Costco, them you don't get the extra year. I can't remember where it says it though, but its somewhere in the fine print.

Funny cause Rick also bought this and also thought he got the full 5 years, but then he went and re checked it and saw where it says you have to buy the TV from them in order to get the full 5 years. Trust me on the one. I've been buying them for a few years now. Luckily, I haven't had to use it yet though, but from what Nitra just said, they really stand by it
Anthony5362 is offline  
post #5340 of 16222 Old 10-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 959
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7011jrs View Post

Yes, I got all 5 years...I went back to confirm, and it is a full 5 years, and I am not a Costco member. I've re-read the terms and conditions, status of my warranty, etc. So unless I am missing something, we have the full warranty.
On my Square Trade account, I click on the TV I just covered, and it pulls up lots of information regarding the warranty, however there isn't even a field for a Serial Number. I was surprised by that, but not really worried, based on what I see in regards to the coverage status.

Regarding the warranty -- i am a Costco member but didn't buy my Samsung UN65ES8000 from a Costco location.

I did purchase the extended warranty and it's only for four years. On the "online" registration form - - there is a question on whether you bought from Costco or not. Since I didn't - - I could not check this box. Everything went through and the registration confirmed four years.

If you got five years warranty and didn't buy from Costco, then great for you. It didn't work that way for me.

I'm hoping to get at least a quality five years from this set. Anything extra is gravy. I'd like to think that high tech TV's last much longer but I'm not sure. Who knows what the technology will be like in five years - - maybe OLED or something else will be out by then. But I'll only buy if it makes financial sense and more importantly, if there is a real improvement in the picture.

I'm not sure how much better a picture could be than what I currently have but I'd sure compare. That's what we do, anyway, isn't it! smile.gif

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Ricoflashback is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off