Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 16260 Old 04-07-2012, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Short Review of the ue55es8000:-

Firstly I had the Sony 923 then the D8000 and now the ES8000.
The D8000 was exchanged on the same day for the ES8000 so the videos I played on the D8000 in the morning I repeated on the Es8000 in the afternoon, with the same picture settings. One word describes the new model "WOW" the improvement in the picture was huge, very noticeable very significant. The blacks are inky, black borders are solid and the greyishness of the D8000 is gone.
There is no light bleed except for the merest hint on the bottom edge and the uniformity is much improved even on a static grey screen. Watching bluray there are no visible imperfections and this is the best picture I have ever seen.
It is not all about contrast though as one of the most striking difference is the portrayal of textures and highlights. Such things as chrome bumbers on cars have a shine and zing that was absent on the D8000. Add the colour and detail performance and the picture is stunning.
As for viewing angle it seems little changed and I had no problems.
The only small criticism I could give is that the screen is a little more reflective. The voice and motion functions need more work and the F/W update didn't make any difference I could see.
I am thrilled with my ES8000 which is fantastic as I was disappointed with my Sony 923 and Samsung D8000!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 16260 Old 04-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerft View Post

Short Review of the ue55es8000:-

Firstly I had the Sony 923 then the D8000 and now the ES8000.
The D8000 was exchanged on the same day for the ES8000 so the videos I played on the D8000 in the morning I repeated on the Es8000 in the afternoon, with the same picture settings. One word describes the new model "WOW" the improvement in the picture was huge, very noticeable very significant. The blacks are inky, black borders are solid and the greyishness of the D8000 is gone.
There is no light bleed except for the merest hint on the bottom edge and the uniformity is much improved even on a static grey screen. Watching bluray there are no visible imperfections and this is the best picture I have ever seen.
It is not all about contrast though as one of the most striking difference is the portrayal of textures and highlights. Such things as chrome bumbers on cars have a shine and zing that was absent on the D8000. Add the colour and detail performance and the picture is stunning.
As for viewing angle it seems little changed and I had no problems.
The only small criticism I could give is that the screen is a little more reflective. The voice and motion functions need more work and the F/W update didn't make any difference I could see.
I am thrilled with my ES8000 which is fantastic as I was disappointed with my Sony 923 and Samsung D8000!

Awesome. Reading this makes me even more excited about getting my 60ES8000 in a couple weeks. Thanks for the writeup. Any chance you've been able to test out the 3D yet?

post #543 of 16260 Old 04-07-2012, 08:16 PM

Liked: 11
-rogerft

Thanks for the comparison to the D8000. I had considered getting the UN60D8000. Have you tried 3D?
post #544 of 16260 Old 04-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needis View Post

-gamermwm

I was hoping Tron Legacy would be a good 3d movie, but I have Kung Fu Panda 2 3d and it had depth. During the scene where the peacock points his spear at the goat, it didn't appear like the passive 3d demo I saw with the eel swimming. I wanted to reach out and touch the eel. Maybe I have to tweak the 3d settings.

I was not at all impressed with passive 3D. I watched on a cramped display at Wal-Mart and the screen was below me. It was blurry and I couldn't even see the 3D effect unless I ducked down near to eye level with the set. Seems the angles are a lot more limited with passive

Not to mention that with passive you're not getting full 1080p per eye. This is a deal breaker for me. Maybe once 4K tv's are here and all passive is 1080p per eye I will give it another try.
Beyond this point, it's really not even a question of passive vs active unless you just get headaches watching active 3D. Just try not to watch when you're tired and you'll be alright

Needis, you mentioned a demo with an eel swimming out at you vs. a certain part of KP2 for popout examples. That's really apples and oranges because the amount of popout differs from movie to movie. If you watch the same scene on both a passive and active tv (with the same bluray player), and you actually like the passive better, I would question your judgment

You will notice some difference in the amount of popout, etc. between some bluray players. Panasonic claims to have specifically improved popout on their 2012 BD players, but I don't know if it's better than Samsung's implementation in their BD players, or just that they are catching up to them. I do know that the 2011 Samsung BD Players have one of the best implementations of 2D-3D conversion available on an affordable consumer device

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #545 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 12:45 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

You will notice some difference in the amount of popout, etc. between some bluray players. Panasonic claims to have specifically improved popout on their 2012 BD players, but I don't know if it's better than Samsung's implementation in their BD players, or just that they are catching up to them. I do know that the 2011 Samsung BD Players have one of the best implementations of 2D-3D conversion available on an affordable consumer device

Wow, I was unaware that the type of BD player affected the quality of 3D viewing? I have both a Panny & Sammy BD from 2011 and I can't really see the difference in 3D PQ. Only differences are, the Sammy is a "Smart" player and it loads discs faster. I haven't update the FW's of either since I got them
post #546 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

Wow, I was unaware that the type of BD player affected the quality of 3D viewing? I have both a Panny & Sammy BD from 2011 and I can't really see the difference in 3D PQ. Only differences are, the Sammy is a "Smart" player and it loads discs faster. I haven't update the FW's of either since I got them

However sublte those differences may be, I'm sure they are there. As 3D tech improves, so should the tech in the bluray players and the tv's.
I read that this tv is 2.5 times brighter than the D8000 specifically to improve 3D viewing and that 3D motion looks better over last year (thanks to the dual-core allowing the enabling of more features during 3D playback)

When the Samsung 2012 BD Players came out, I sold my 2011 BD-D6700 Samsung BD Player, for this specific reason. I was wanting the latest in 3D tech and specifically any improvements on the 2D-3D conversion
Unfortunately, I quickly came to realize that neither my shiny new BD-E6500 nor any of the BD players from Samsung in 2012 have 2D-3D as that feature has been cut in favor of others (disc to digital, web browser, etc.)

It seems that Samsung realized that cheaper BD players sell better (and they can't compete with PS3 price range) and therefore all of their bluray players seem/are cheaper this year. The highest end model is the 6500 at $200 while last year we had the higher end BD-D6700, D7000, D7500 all available initially from around $200-$300 and up
I have since sent back my E6500, and repurchased a D6700. Couldn't be happier now because, as I mentioned before, a lot of 3D enthusiasts believe that Samsung's 2011 2D-3D conversion is light years better (Object Based Depth Processing) than Panasonic, Sony's, or any other implementation of 2D-3D conversion

Thanks to Nielo TM over at AVForums:
"Samsung's 2D to 3D is quite amazing and it is pixel based

In comparison to simple 3D conversion where the image is horizontally split into three sections and placed in linier sequence (e.g. bottom section in front, middle section in middle and the top section set to back); the real-time 2D to 3D developed by Samsung (Object Based Depth Processing) functions by analyzing the input image and gathers (z) axis by decompiling the image to its individual pixels to process depth separation, which is achieved by scanning the frequency range of individual pixels as pixels with greater information (focused/detailed) have higher frequency range (bandwidth) then pixels that are blurred in the background, (along with pixel movement and pixel brightness). The processed data is then passed onto disparity optimization and L/R separation, which can be controlled by the user."

I'm excited to see how the tech has improved in the ES8000 this year. Many thought that the 2011 Samsung BD Player's 2D-3D conversion was the best, even rivaling or in some way's besting 3D Bee converters

Last year, I quickly noticed in a bluray comparison, that my D6700 bluray player easily bested my D8000 in terms of the quality of the conversion being done. I don't know why, but the difference was huge for me.
Perhaps it was because the pixel based conversion was done and presented in a nice & neat package before being ouput to the tv and you weren't having to watch/see the conversion being done on the fly while the tv tries to keep up in front of your eyes. For that reason, I used the tv's conversion very little, while using the 2D-3D feature on my BD Player on any fullscreen BD disc I rented/watched

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #547 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 AM

As people start to tweek/tune this TV i am wondering if you all can provide what you believe are optimal settings for movie viewing vs. Regular hdtv viewing (e.g cnn or local hd).
post #548 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 09:09 AM

Is there any proof or confirmation yet, that the ES8000 has no Hardwaredimming? I'm just wondering, as in the Marketing and Press Materials Samsung always claims, that the diffrence of Micro Dimming Ultimate is

"Micro Dimming Ultimate analyzes the picture in hundreds of pieces to optimize LED backlight and video signal for each piece real time."

?
post #549 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvader View Post

Is there any proof or confirmation yet, that the ES8000 has no Hardwaredimming? I'm just wondering, as in the Marketing and Press Materials Samsung always claims, that the diffrence of Micro Dimming Ultimate is

"Micro Dimming Ultimate analyzes the picture in hundreds of pieces to optimize LED backlight and video signal for each piece real time."

?

Everything I've read on es8000 says they took out hardware dimming in favour of software. I believe the difference from the es8000 to lower models is the 8000 has double the software dimming zones.
post #550 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 10:54 AM

Not really a proof :-)
post #551 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Considering every media outlet that I've read about samsungs 2012 lineup state they took out hardware dimming. I will believe they did, I don't own a es8000 so I can't provided proof that way.
post #552 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 11:29 AM

Ok, I have a problem. As of this morning my tv has restarted 5 times in the last 20 mins.
I tried disabling voice and motion control but i am not finding a solution.
My last test will be to disable the network.

The only thing i did last night is register a samsung account (smart hub).I have very few apps installed and those have not been updated.
I have had this tv work for a bit longer than a week and installed the latest firmware (via usb) 2 days ago.
Anyone has this problem or found a fix
post #553 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtkbee View Post

As people start to tweek/tune this TV i am wondering if you all can provide what you believe are optimal settings for movie viewing vs. Regular hdtv viewing (e.g cnn or local hd).

I second this I would like to see some settings listed as well
post #554 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here ya go. Happy Easter. This is from the hands-on CNET did when the set first came out. They were also given this info by Samsung at the time

"Samsung's Micro Dimming is available on the ES6600 LEDs and up. Unlike last year's version on the UND8000, none of the 2012 models actually dim the LEDs. Instead, video processing is used to approximate dimming somehow"

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...ates-hands-on/

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #555 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Ok, I have a problem. As of this morning my tv has restarted 5 times in the last 20 mins.

The only thing i did last night is register a samsung account (smart hub).I have very few apps installed and those have not been updated.
I have had this tv work for a bit longer than a week and installed the latest firmware (via usb) 2 days ago.

Ok, this is really bad, it has been rebooting so much. it seems like a quick restart.
post #556 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, this is really bad, it has been rebooting so much. it seems like a quick restart.

I've heard of this problem before, over at AVForums (a UK site) and from a couple Amazon.com reviewers. Might be a software glitch that only affects certain sets. Only solution I've heard of so far is getting a replacement

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #557 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:

I've heard of this problem before, over at AVForums (a UK site) and from a couple Amazon.com reviewers. Might be a software glitch that only affects certain sets. Only solution I've heard of so far is getting a replacement

I am having the same issue. I exchanged at the store and the same thing occurred with the new set. I've Samsung recommended I submit a service request.
post #558 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 03:20 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I've updated my F/W a few days ago by USB and noticed that the smart hub takes longer to launch. I've downloaded a few apps (skype, wordsworld,youtube) but it has not shut down. I did not register my smart hub account with samsung yet. So far no issues. Did you connect the IR blaster? When it shuts off does any icon come on the screen before it turns off? I've had the voice prompts come up by itself but the tv has not shut off. Are you doing anything when the tv shuts off (raising volume or changing the channel)?
post #559 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needis View Post

I've updated my F/W a few days ago by USB and noticed that the smart hub takes longer to launch. I've downloaded a few apps (skype, wordsworld,youtube) but it has not shut down. I did not register my smart hub account with samsung yet. So far no issues. Did you connect the IR blaster? When it shuts off does any icon come on the screen before it turns off? I've had the voice prompts come up by itself but the tv has not shut off. Are you doing anything when the tv shuts off (raising volume or changing the channel)?

No, i disabled voice and motion controls and no related icons were on the screen.
The problem seems to have stopped for now also stopped but i watching tv (directv with hr20 dvr i know, it is old but i was using it since i got the tv).
Currently using my ps3 without error for the past 2 hrs.

(i use hdmi with all my devices connected to my tv)
post #560 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:

?

If they renamed it Marketing Dimming Ultimate would that help clarify that it's not really doing anything?

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #561 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 07:05 PM

I'm getting the 55"es8000 this week I'm going to run it through my Denon 1912 .
Also getting Samsung blu-ray . Have my own urc remote.
Don't want to use voice control or the camera ,do I need to make sure certain things are turned off, or anything else that needs to be turned off to not to interfer with the Denon.
post #562 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Also having the same problem on my es8000. Turns off and restarts 5-6 times per hour. Also recently updated firmware to 1015.
post #563 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

To the people having the restart problems....are you running through a receiver or straight to the tv? Does the problem persist with a direct hookup to the tv?

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #564 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:

To the people having the restart problems....are you running through a receiver or straight to the tv? Does the problem persist with a direct hookup to the tv?

I am plugged directly into the tv.
Just watched tv again and it seems like the problem is gone for now.
Also, i played mass effect and watched another movie fir about 2 hrs without any problems (though i never experienced a reboot when using my ps3).

For those observing reboots can you remember what input source was being used during the reboots and did you attempt switching source?
post #565 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

If they renamed it Marketing Dimming Ultimate would that help clarify that it's not really doing anything?

I take it you do not own an es8000? If you did you would know it has one of the best pictures in the market places and significantly better than the D8000. Having achieved this with technology that "is not really doing anything" is a fantastic achievement by Samsung.
post #566 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerft View Post

I take it you do not own an es8000? If you did you would know it has one of the best pictures in the market places and significantly better than the D8000. Having achieved this with technology that "is not really doing anything" is a fantastic achievement by Samsung.

It's odd that you responded to my post with a defensive call to arms on the ES8000. I'm not saying it doesn't have a good picture.

I am absolutely calling Samsung out for their marketing nonsense.

"Pixel-based dimming".... Please. EVERY LCD ON THE MARKET HAS PIXEL-BASED DIMMING.

The merits of the ES8000 might be plentiful. They are not based on "Micro Dimming Ultimate".

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #567 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post

Someone else has already astutely posted that this was a strange thread. There are very few actual owners posting their experiences, settings, etc. Hopefully, as more folks buy these sets, we may learn something useful.

The problem is it has not been set up as an "Owners" thread so it has loads of discussion and comment from non owners not able to contribute meaningfully in trying to get the best from this TV.
Would be better for owners if a proper owners thread was set up so the thread was more specific.
post #568 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

It's odd that you responded to my post with a defensive call to arms on the ES8000. I'm not saying it doesn't have a good picture.

I am absolutely calling Samsung out for their marketing nonsense.

"Pixel-based dimming".... Please. EVERY LCD ON THE MARKET HAS PIXEL-BASED DIMMING.

The merits of the ES8000 might be plentiful. They are not based on "Micro Dimming Ultimate".

Call it as you like but I am afraid in the real world all Manufacturers use Market Speak to try and differentiate their product. You call that marketing nonsense I call it the reality of the market place. I really don't care what Samsung choose to call their "pixel based dimming" but the bottom line is they are making a better job of it than the majority of the rest.
That is not a call to arms from me but my amusement at your rigour.
post #569 of 16260 Old 04-08-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:

Here ya go. Happy Easter. This is from the hands-on CNET did when the set first came out. They were also given this info by Samsung at the time

"Samsung's Micro Dimming is available on the ES6600 LEDs and up. Unlike last year's version on the UND8000, none of the 2012 models actually dim the LEDs. Instead, video processing is used to approximate dimming somehow"

Happy Easter as well - but again, that's not a proof, that's hersay by CNET - and again i bring my Quote from Samsung which sais something diffrent: "Micro Dimming Ultimate analyzes the picture in hundreds of pieces to optimize LED backlight and video signal for each piece real time."

We have actually word versus word here - that's why i still search for some hard fact.
post #570 of 16260 Old 04-09-2012, 04:10 AM

Re: Power cycling

Through Denon receiver via HDMI. Only started having problem last two days, after firmware update 1015. First few weeks were fine.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page