post #5851 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanhvt View Post

Many of us had this experience in standard mode. I can not say what you did wrong here because I've not used the calibration files myself. I'm using cnet's settings for movie mode now. After they are set, you will notice that the colourspace settings are copied to standard mode either. On standard I use the settings of Nitra in combination with the colourspace settings of cnet's movie mode. Both modes looks almost equal now to me, and with the back-light set on 9 for movie mode, and 12 for standard, it's not to dark either.
Keep in mind that this is very personal ..

Yeah, for my panel, the CNET settings were almost a perfect match using the files and the WOW BD. I have slight adjustments but I know you all know that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

I'm confused now.. Are you saying that you also saw a decrease in P.Q after the new FW?

Yeah it appears both of them have.

Is is like the picture enhancements we all thought we saw with the last fw update were taken away? That kind of thing?
post #5853 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 10:02 AM

Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Liked: 70
FW
post #5854 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

I'm convinced that all high tech TV's have issues and the pursuit of the perfect picture is still worthwhile - - you just need to protect yourself and much as you can and minimize your financial risk.
Best - Rico

I'm with you on that too. I also think they all use cheap parts, not just Samsung, because I know they are all having a problem making a profit. Elites cost what they do perhaps because of this, and perhaps the 9000 costs what is does because of better parts or a more expensive assembly process to minimize banding more.
post #5855 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 10:04 AM

Liked: 16
Yes indeed.

The dramatic change in blacklevels on the previous update is taken away. It's more a washed out picture now for both movie and standard.

Color accuracy seems better btw. Maybe that's the reason Samsung changed it back to this state.
post #5856 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Yes indeed.
The dramatic change in blacklevels on the previous update is taken away. It's more a washed out picture now for both movie and standard.

Yes! Omg! This is exactly what happened after my update.
post #5857 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 10:12 AM

Liked: 16
So what does it mean ? Is Samsung still experimenting what's the best way to go ?
post #5858 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 10:15 AM

Lets hope so.. I would imagine once they have enough feedback from others this affected, they will fix it. But what of there's only some affected and most of the others are fine. Then that would probably mean they won't go back to what it was before. Idk..

What you are seeing, is exactly what I was seeing before the 1035 update. Then after the 1035 update, the picture became more vibrant with inky black levels. Then after this 001040 update, the picture went back to the way it was before the 1035 update.

It's weird though how only a few of us on here even notice this, or was affected by it
post #5859 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 10:30 AM

Liked: 15
The thing I don't understand about banding is this... So I hear that almost all larger TV's have banding. The 65 ES8000 has banding, the 75 Inch es9000 has banding the Sony 65X950 has banding...

AND YET...

My 845u 70 inch TV has ZERO banding! I watch hockey, golf, baseball soccer, football... ZERO PERCENT. Absolutely none. Too bad the PQ isn't up to the Samsung/Sony or Sharp...
post #5860 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Lets hope so.. I would imagine once they have enough feedback from others this affected, they will fix it. But what of there's only some affected and most of the others are fine. Then that would probably mean they won't go back to what it was before. Idk..
What you are seeing, is exactly what I was seeing before the 1035 update. Then after the 1035 update, the picture became more vibrant with inky black levels. Then after this 001040 update, the picture went back to the way it was before the 1035 update.

What I tried and what has worked AFTER the 1040.8 update was a full reset via "Support," "Self-Diagnosis" and "Reset."

You lose your settings but after tinkering around with them for the past two months, I know them by heart! (I use "Standard," - 10 backlight, 90 contrast, 40 brightness & sharpness, with Dynamic Contrast "Low," AMP set to "Clear." All running through my Yamaha RX-A2000 receiver.)

I believe Anthony is right - - at least on my TV, all the improvements of the 1035 update were completely undone by the 1040.8 update and the only way I got them back was via the hard "Reset".

I'm not sure if this is/was the reason for the improvement, but it worked for me.

And...I have no idea on why folks are getting different results with this update.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #5861 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Op's Guy View Post

I hadn't really given an OTA antenna much thought. We have been thinking about modifying our Uverse channel line-up. We currently have the U450 package. Tons of useless channels but necessary to get local stations, the premium channels and some sports channels.
With the invent of streaming movies through a bevy of providers, maybe and antenna is worth looking into. Thoughts appreciated.
Here's one with tons of good reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Thin-Leaf-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B004QK7HI8

This is the antenna I ended up ordering through Amazon.com. It is expected to arrive on Saturday, so we'll see how it works! I most want to see how it looks for the local sports broadcasts, but will enjoy playing with it for some prime time viewing as well. There were over 1500 reviews, and the product was rated 4.5 stars. That's about as good as it gets!

Total cost, with free shipping, is less than $40.

Thanks to everyone who had input on the Indoor OTA antenna - I appreciate the insight!
post #5862 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes indeed.
Color accuracy seems better btw. Maybe that's the reason Samsung changed it back to this state.

Crap. Just like Anthony's pictures.
post #5863 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaneDawgg View Post

The thing I don't understand about banding is this... So I hear that almost all larger TV's have banding. The 65 ES8000 has banding, the 75 Inch es9000 has banding the Sony 65X950 has banding...
AND YET...
My 845u 70 inch TV has ZERO banding! I watch hockey, golf, baseball soccer, football... ZERO PERCENT. Absolutely none. Too bad the PQ isn't up to the Samsung/Sony or Sharp...

Is that and LED LCD set too?
post #5864 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7011jrs View Post

This is the antenna I ended up ordering through Amazon.com. It is expected to arrive on Saturday, so we'll see how it works! I most want to see how it looks for the local sports broadcasts, but will enjoy playing with it for some prime time viewing as well. There were over 1500 reviews, and the product was rated 4.5 stars. That's about as good as it gets!
Thanks to everyone who had input on the Indoor OTA antenna - I appreciate the insight!
If it works for you, maybe I'll order it. I'll check out TV Fool, but I think I'm too far away for such a small antenna.
post #5865 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemembeRemember View Post

Yeah I may have to get the 7500 then. I actually prefer the silver frame on the 8000 though to the black, unlike you!

This is clearly a personal decision weighing off increased cost versus additional options and value (perceived or not). It will depend entirely on a few things....

What is the price difference? At the time of my purchase the 8000 was discounted more than the 7500 so the price differential wasn't more than a few hundred dollars.

Do you see a difference in the auto dimming harshness? I did and I do. Having just been in to view some Boardwalk Empire clips on both units (albeit not perfectly calibrated units) but same feed, the 8000 isnt as harsh a transition when the dark to light scene flips hit. As pure speculation I believe this might be why Eagle has been driven to distraction over the issue while 8000 owners are less wound up.

Do you place any value on the potential evo kit? Some believe it is marketing BS....Some will pay a few dollars for a future option even if it proves to be uncertain.

I dont know if there are any other differences worth considering....
gamermwm likes this.
post #5866 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 11:09 AM

The 7500 also has the Evo kit. I have heard though that some seen a difference in PQ between the two, but I didn't notice when I saw a 7500. I purely based my purchase on the 8000 because of the mystery micro dimming ultimate verses the Pro on the 7500
post #5867 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7011jrs View Post

Perfect. Let us know your thoughts on how well it works. Especially on local broadcasts in HD. Have an idea of where you're going to place it yet?
post #5868 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtm73 View Post

This is clearly a personal decision weighing off increased cost versus additional options and value (perceived or not). It will depend entirely on a few things....
What is the price difference? At the time of my purchase the 8000 was discounted more than the 7500 so the price differential wasn't more than a few hundred dollars.
Do you see a difference in the auto dimming harshness? I did and I do. Having just been in to view some Boardwalk Empire clips on both units (albeit not perfectly calibrated units) but same feed, the 8000 isnt as harsh a transition when the dark to light scene flips hit. As pure speculation I believe this might be while Eagle has been driven to distraction over the issue while 8000 owners are less wound up.
Do you place any value on the potential evo kit? Some believe it is marketing BS....Some will pay a few dollars for a future option even if it proves to be uncertain.

This was a great summary, thanks!
post #5869 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Op's Guy View Post

Perfect. Let us know your thoughts on how well it works. Especially on local broadcasts in HD. Have an idea of where you're going to place it yet?

Firstly, I am going to try to conceal it somewhere near the TV in the my living room and see what I can pick up. If that doesn't do the trick, I will be moving it nearer the back patio. My hope is not to locate it in the attic, but I will try that if all else fails.

I really want a clean and simple, easy to use solution, so near the TV will be my first shot. I should also say that I am in Orlando, FL so I should be able to pick up a number of signals nearby. Another poster mentioned that I might have difficulty picking up the local NBC affiliate - so we'll see how that goes.

I look forward to playing with this over the weekend, and should have some results to post by Sunday.
post #5870 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtm73 View Post

Do you see a difference in the auto dimming harshness? I did and I do. Having just been in to view some Boardwalk Empire clips on both units (albeit not perfectly calibrated units) but same feed, the 8000 isnt as harsh a transition when the dark to light scene flips hit. As pure speculation I believe this might be while Eagle has been driven to distraction over the issue while 8000 owners are less wound up.

I'm not sure the evo kit would make a big difference in the decision but you make an interesting point on what we've been calling the CE Dimming in Standard. I see what Eagle does and we both have a 7500. my first thought to you saying that was why would there be a difference when that is a software issue. But what if the reason we can't have independent control over the two is because they really are tied together. CE Dimming being controlled by the Micro Dimming zones. This would mean the MD Ultimate would have finer control over CE Dimming than MD Pro on the 7500. This almost makes me wish I went for the 8000 if true, but being I'm in Movie mode, it is irrelevant. If it's true that they are tied together, I don't think we'll ever see MD in Movie mode.
post #5871 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Many of us had this experience in standard mode. I can not say what you did wrong here because I've not used the calibration files myself. I'm using cnet's settings for movie mode now. After they are set, you will notice that the colourspace settings are copied to standard mode either. On standard I use the settings of Nitra in combination with the colourspace settings of cnet's movie mode. Both modes looks almost equal now to me, and with the back-light set on 9 for movie mode, and 12 for standard, it's not to dark either.
Keep in mind that this is very personal ..

I would have thought that by using a test pattern that had SOME spot of bright white on it, while trying to set blacks (ie brightness) to the right level it might help defeat the auto-dimming features....Perhaps that is exactly my problem. If I set brightness with an all black (or shades of black) test screen then I would be closer to replicating the dark scenes which seem to be losing detail. I would imagine that ends up with blacks that look good in dark scenes, but perhaps I will then have the opposite issue...blacks that look grey in bright scenes....I'll give it a shot.
post #5872 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

I'm not sure the evo kit would make a big difference in the decision but you make an interesting point on what we've been calling the CE Dimming in Standard. I see what Eagle does and we both have a 7500. my first thought to you saying that was why would there be a difference when that is a software issue. But what if the reason we can't have independent control over the two is because they really are tied together. CE Dimming being controlled by the Micro Dimming zones. This would mean the MD Ultimate would have finer control over CE Dimming than MD Pro on the 7500. This almost makes me wish I went for the 8000 if true, but being I'm in Movie mode, it is irrelevant. If it's true that they are tied together, I don't think we'll ever see MD in Movie mode.

I think the relevance of the evo kit (if it wasn't one the 7500 and I stand corrected on that) would be entirely based on how much value a person could ascribe to it. Some might not trust Samnsung to offer a decent product for a decent price and accordingly would pay zero for the option. Others might believe it means valuable picture and feature improvements for $50 annually, I would imagine they would ascribe significantly more value to it.
post #5873 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra View Post

This simply wouldn't happen.
I've been dealing with video compression since the early 90's, I'm telling you 100%, that's exactly what's on the screen, without a doubt at all.
Unfortunately, this issue is only getting worse, they are taking many MPEG2 sources that are 18-22 Megabits and knocking them down to 8-12.
What's worse, is some providers are using MPEG4 now, but the MPEG4 sources are taken from the already highly compressed MPEG2 signals.
Had they taken them from the uncompressed MPEG2, the issue wouldn't be near as apparent.

This is true. I have FiOS, which claims they don't re-compress, so supposedly the only compression is what they originally receive from the source broadcast themselves. I'm not sure if that's really the case, but I can certainly see a difference between channels. Some channels have higher bitrate, and look stunning, showing virtually no signs of any compression. Yet others are a total mess, blotchy, blocky and pixellated, which is especially obvious during fast motion and quick, bright flashes, where the image literally breaks into blocks it's so bad. Even the premium movie stations are full of horrible compression artifacts. Many standard channels like the shopping channels for instance look far better than my Showtime, Cinemax, and The Movie Channel, which all come as part of my HD package.

I'm not saying this is what's wrong with Anthony's sets, because I don't know. I'm just saying that I certainly do notice compression on my set with FiOS.
post #5874 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra View Post

A Father asked his 10 year old son if he knew about the birds and the bees.
"I don't want to know" said the child, bursting into tears. "Promise me you won't tell me"
Rather confused, the Father asked what was wrong. The boy sobbed.
"When I was six, I got the "There's no Easter Bunny" Speech
"When I was seven, I got the "There's no Tooth Fairy" speech
"When I was eight, I got the "There's no Santa" speech
"If you're going to tell me that grown-ups don't really get laid, I'll have nothing left to live for"

Excellent. tongue.gif
post #5875 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

OMG!!! Anyway, due to the log-jam of my DVR schedule for Sunday night I had to attach my antenna and run the tuner prog. The OTA picture is quite amazing. This TV has the best OTA tuner utility and picture quality of all my hdtv's ever.
In order to put health concerns to rest, i purchased a 3yr warranty from DTVExpress.
LOVE THIS TV! ... It's a bromance with technology at it's most romantic level...me, my chair and my remotes!

Yup, OTA is far far better than any cable, satellite or fiber signal. It's full uncompressed, just as broadcast. If you are lucky enough to be able to get a few of the local channels from an indoor antenna, or even better, if you have an outside antenna, use it when you can for the local channels - it's a huge difference.
post #5876 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

As fun as it's been so far this morning, I'm off to shop for a telly. Will I add more money to the evil empire that is Samsung, or will I say naff all and decide an Etch a Sketch will do?
Will post once I return.
smile.gif

Okie dokie then. Just got back and pulled the plug on the UN75ES9000 75" set. Got a pretty good deal with a slight discount off the price, 36 months financing, black tie extended warranty and delivery date of the 24th. Looked at the 65" and also the Elite 70", and in the end, decided to go with the Samsung. The Etch a Sketch had some pretty amazing gray levels, but I could never get the color to pop. Was a bit washed out for my tastes. Like my wife says to me all the time, you can fiddle with the knobs all you want, but the picture ain't getting any better.

Now to decide on wall mount or get a bigger Salamander cabinet.

Can't wait for the 24th.
post #5877 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

Okie dokie then. Just got back and pulled the plug on the UN75ES9000 75" set. Got a pretty good deal with a slight discount off the price, 36 months financing, black tie extended warranty and delivery date of the 24th. Looked at the 65" and also the Elite 70", and in the end, decided to go with the Samsung. The Etch a Sketch had some pretty amazing gray levels, but I could never get the color to pop. Was a bit washed out for my tastes. Like my wife says to me all the time, you can fiddle with the knobs all you want, but the picture ain't getting any better.
Now to decide on wall mount or get a bigger Salamander cabinet.
Can't wait for the 24th.

Let me know if you get any banding... It seems Samsung has had serious issues with banding on their larger sets.
post #5878 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

You did the 9000!??!?! Nice, can't wait to hear about it. We've only had one other person talk about it here.
The Etch a Sketch thing... nice
post #5879 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let me know if you get any banding... It seems Samsung has had serious issues with banding on their larger sets.

If we can go by the last person to get one (and return it), it wasn't as bad as the 65es8000. I would hope not for that money. We'll see.
post #5880 of 16208 Old 10-18-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Quote:

I will post once I get everything up and running. I will tell you that I didn't notice any banding on the set on display at the Magnolia showroom on the 75", but the 65 and one of the 60's had some funky stuff going on. Not sure if it was the feed or how the settings were on them. The Elite was mind blowing but I just couldn't get around the Sharp family genes.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page