Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 16215 Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Try it on the other modes besides clear/off of you have time.. It's noticeable when the camera is zoomed in on a person and the person moves around. You can really see it in Avatar when he first runs out of the lab in the avatar body, and there are other avatars (Navi??) playing basketball. Every couple if seconds the person or the whole frame will jerk/skip/sutter, sort of like the TV doesn't have enough processing power to process the motion smoothing in the frame and is trying to catch up to stay in sync with the input signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 16215 Old 04-11-2012, 11:04 AM

Can someone who has the TV answer a quick question when they have time? On mine I notice on both the horizontal edges there is a slight bend or warp like 2 or 3 inches from the bezel. I know this is a ridiculous thing to be observing but it bothers me that it isn't 100% flat all the way to the bezel. The only way to notice this is to look along the panel almost at its side and look at the reflections to see if they warp.

Once again I know this is crazy, but the OCD in me thinks this affects picture quality and maybe the panel was damaged in transit or something. I'll also be swapping out this one if my TV is the only one with this issue which is why I'm asking.

Thanks guys.
post #633 of 16215 Old 04-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeech10 View Post

Try it on the other modes besides clear/off of you have time.. It's noticeable when the camera is zoomed in on a person and the person moves around. You can really see it in Avatar when he first runs out of the lab in the avatar body, and there are other avatars (Navi??) playing basketball. Every couple if seconds the person or the whole frame will jerk/skip/sutter, sort of like the TV doesn't have enough processing power to process the motion smoothing in the frame and is trying to catch up to stay in sync with the input signal.

Yeah I think the consensus last year on the D8000 was to only use the Clear motion settings. No other setting was satisfactory to me. As long as "Clear" works for now (before they update and hopefully fix this) I'll be happy

My 55ES8000 comes in Friday. Anyone tweak last year's D8000 CNET settings for this set yet? It would give me a headstart if someone has/could

Once the review comes out in a couple weeks and David posts his recommended settings in the forum I'll use those. They matched my March build D8000 perfectly last year

post #634 of 16215 Old 04-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7...ag=epicStories

Cnet's David Katzmaier goes hands on with voice/gesture controls (on the plasma E8000)
I think his view of the new voice/gesture controls are in line with what other posters here have stated

The tech sounds like it needs work, but I'm going into this with the open-minded reminder that this is a brand new direction/feature for HDTV's and Samsung's implementation is a work in progress
Usually with a tv, what you buy is what you get. But future updates should smooth out some problems, and possible evolution kit upgrades later on may improve responsiveness, processing speed, etc. It should get better

post #635 of 16215 Old 04-11-2012, 04:32 PM

Just received a call from a Samsung engineer regarding the power cycling problem on my es8000. He had many specific questions about how I had my home theater wired and exactly what connections were used between the receiver, cable box, and TV. Seemed particularly interested in the fact that my Denon is networked and I had a Logitech squeezebox on my network. He also seemed intrigued that my power cycling stopped after I disconnected the ethernet cable from the TV and switched to a wireless connection.

Nice to know that engineers are working on this problem. He said he often reads forums such as this to help in his problem solving.

I have also posted this on AVForums.com.
post #636 of 16215 Old 04-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

But future updates should smooth out some problems, and possible evolution kit upgrades later on may improve responsiveness, processing speed, etc. It should get better

Knowing Samsung, I wouldn't count on it. And these EK's aren't going to be a free handout either........
post #637 of 16215 Old 04-11-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

Knowing Samsung, I wouldn't count on it. And these EK's aren't going to be a free handout either........

Samsung have already posted F/W changes that have included voice upgrades. EK's will likely have a Quad processor so will not be anywhere near free but qudos to Samsung as no one else is offering this evolution path.
post #638 of 16215 Old 04-11-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacSG View Post

Can someone who has the TV answer a quick question when they have time? On mine I notice on both the horizontal edges there is a slight bend or warp like 2 or 3 inches from the bezel. I know this is a ridiculous thing to be observing but it bothers me that it isn't 100% flat all the way to the bezel. The only way to notice this is to look along the panel almost at its side and look at the reflections to see if they warp.

Once again I know this is crazy, but the OCD in me thinks this affects picture quality and maybe the panel was damaged in transit or something. I'll also be swapping out this one if my TV is the only one with this issue which is why I'm asking.

Thanks guys.

Your so polite that it makes it hard to tell you that you need to take some pills and relax. Seriously though I notice it on mine and it's normal. Relax and enjoy your tv
post #639 of 16215 Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguychad View Post

Your so polite that it makes it hard to tell you that you need to take some pills and relax. Seriously though I notice it on mine and it's normal. Relax and enjoy your tv

Haha sorry. I'm new here and there was lots of other discussion going on. But thanks for answering. I've just never noticed that on a screen before. Again, thanks, and I'll try and forget it.
post #640 of 16215 Old 04-12-2012, 04:22 AM

Guys,
I need your opinion.
I am offered the 46"ES 7000 for 1,700 eur
and 46"ES8000 for 1850 eur - but I will have to wait for a month for ES8000
while I can immediately pick up the ES7000.
I am torn on which set to take.

Besides the looks, what is your take on the technical aspect i.e. is it worth the extra money and waiting time for the ES8000.
It really has a sci-fi look which is great for standing position (which I prefer)
The ES7000 however would look the same if I decide on wall mounting.

Cheers
MG
post #641 of 16215 Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 AM

A little patience to grab the 8000 would be better in my opinion. Better dimming with a faster processor seems worth a month of waiting.
post #642 of 16215 Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 AM

I'm seeing the same occasional motion blips as dmeech, just watching OTA HD TV broadcasts. (Oh, yes this is on an UN55ES8000, just to clarify.) It is definitely only in a subportion of the frame, not the whole image at once. Signal in from antenna cable, HDMI from TV to receiver providing ARC to the AV receiver. No other connections.

At work right now, don't recall which motion setting I've got it on. (For that matter don't recall where that even is in the menus off the top of my head ). But will probably play with them a bit to see if I can reduce it.

The only other issues I've had with mine were an occasional audio 'chirp' out of the surround speakers (always the back right) which I finally decided was the AVR's fault. Turned off it's "Dolby Volume" regulation setting (supposed to help level commercials vs. programs) and that's gone away. I think it might have been a digital decoding blip anytime the stream was slightly error-prone or something, but it's gone now.

Read all the other issues about restarts, shutoffs, etc. with a bit of wonder. Mine has never, not once, shut down unexpectedly (it did pop up a "TV will sleep in XX seconds, press OK to cancel" window once - wife had had it on for I think 6 hrs straight in the background and never changed channels or anything, so that was just the power-off timer ). But I also from the start have had the voice/smart interaction turned off, and wireless networking connected. So it may indeed be that a lot of the weird power issues are software restarts caused by the smart interaction.

Wait....let me get a bigger hammer!
post #643 of 16215 Old 04-12-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrski View Post

Read all the other issues about restarts, shutoffs, etc. with a bit of wonder. Mine has never, not once, shut down unexpectedly (it did pop up a "TV will sleep in XX seconds, press OK to cancel" window once - wife had had it on for I think 6 hrs straight in the background and never changed channels or anything, so that was just the power-off timer ). But I also from the start have had the voice/smart interaction turned off, and wireless networking connected. So it may indeed be that a lot of the weird power issues are software restarts caused by the smart interaction.

The (fast) reboots happen even with smart interaction turned off. I really think it is network related (or due to some communication issue back to samsung). It only happened for one day then stopped - I changed so many things i am not sure what fixed it.
post #644 of 16215 Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holton0289 View Post

sure i can change the title. I will say im not sure i really want to sell the b8500. Its a 46in and the es8000 is a 55in. The quality of the 8500 is still better. Im going to try to set them up next to each other and make sure my mind isnt playing tricks on me. The menu layout/system and responsiveness is hands down better with the es8000.

This set does have only 3 HDMIs for some unknown reason. Ive already run into problems with the camera, and voice control. If you use anything other than the TVs speakers, voice wont work, as far as i can tell. It says this very thing while going through the setup. The camera isnt pointed directly at any seat, and there is no way position the cam (short of moving the entire TV) so Im not going to use it right now.

The IR device onnly works (as stated above) with other samsung products, so hope you like sammys.

The "mouse" remote is an interesting feature. Im still playing with it, but if your getting one, be prepared to use the return button. I think im about to wear the paint off that button.

The internet, for one reason or another, does not allow me to connect to the world right now. This may be a problem with my wired connection. I have seen several places where it asks if you want to turn on the wireless internet connection. I diddnt know if this was something built in or what. I usually dont use wireless but im going to set it up and see if it works.

The bezels are really thin, maybe thinner that the prior model, but the thickness of the TV is about equal to the 8500. I diddnt know what to expect.

Im not crazy about the stand, but i knew this going into it.

The screen comes extremely bright out of the box. I think i underestimated the quality of the 8500 now that I have sat and watched TV for several hours. There does appear to be uneven lighting across the picture. Ill try to go into more detail after I setup both sets for comparison.

As for 3d....well they give you 5 glasses, for whatever thats worth. I highly doubt ill watch 3d much, if at all. Still look like cardboard cutouts standing in front or behind one another. Ive never been one to seek out 3d programming.

hmmm. i dont think I missed anything. If you have any other questions just throw them down and ill try to answer. Im no pro, but i have been staring at the 8500 for a couple years so i know what a decent PQ looks like.

The b8500 is a back lit LED set and all (most) of the newer LED sets are edge lit. So it doesn't surprise me at all that the B8500 is a better looking set. I'll buy it from you for a reasonable price.
post #645 of 16215 Old 04-12-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtkbee View Post

The (fast) reboots happen even with smart interaction turned off. I really think it is network related (or due to some communication issue back to samsung). It only happened for one day then stopped - I changed so many things i am not sure what fixed it.

I have the UN55ES7500 and I am having the same reboot problem. I have tried every setting I can think of and I am still having this problem on day 4. I even returned the first set thinkink it was the TV but the new one does the same thing. I paid a lot of money for this set so now i am wondering if I should return it for something else or wait for Samsung to fix this issue as others have had this same problem.
post #646 of 16215 Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1117 View Post

I have the UN55ES7500 and I am having the same reboot problem. I have tried every setting I can think of and I am still having this problem on day 4. I even returned the first set thinkink it was the TV but the new one does the same thing. I paid a lot of money for this set so now i am wondering if I should return it for something else or wait for Samsung to fix this issue as others have had this same problem.

I'm supposed to have a service rep from samsung's warranty program replace some parts because I'm having the same issue. I will let all know if it solves the restart problem, because I did the same thing you did.
post #647 of 16215 Old 04-12-2012, 10:19 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I was not at all impressed with passive 3D. I watched on a cramped display at Wal-Mart and the screen was below me. It was blurry and I couldn't even see the 3D effect unless I ducked down near to eye level with the set. Seems the angles are a lot more limited with passive

Not to mention that with passive you're not getting full 1080p per eye. This is a deal breaker for me. Maybe once 4K tv's are here and all passive is 1080p per eye I will give it another try.
Beyond this point, it's really not even a question of passive vs active unless you just get headaches watching active 3D. Just try not to watch when you're tired and you'll be alright

Needis, you mentioned a demo with an eel swimming out at you vs. a certain part of KP2 for popout examples. That's really apples and oranges because the amount of popout differs from movie to movie. If you watch the same scene on both a passive and active tv (with the same bluray player), and you actually like the passive better, I would question your judgment

You will notice some difference in the amount of popout, etc. between some bluray players. Panasonic claims to have specifically improved popout on their 2012 BD players, but I don't know if it's better than Samsung's implementation in their BD players, or just that they are catching up to them. I do know that the 2011 Samsung BD Players have one of the best implementations of 2D-3D conversion available on an affordable consumer device

I figured out why I don't get the "pop" in 3d. I have bad eyes...lol. Right eye is weaker than left. But I do see depth. Funny, I think passive 3d is better for people with bad eyesight. I don't think I'll be returning my ES8000 ( I have till the 23rd). Watching non 3d is great.

Today I noticed after the FBI warning the screen goes blank, I see a lot of light from each of the corners of the TV and the screen is not at all black. But when the movies starts, the black top/bottom borders are BLACK with no signs of the lights from each of the corners.
post #648 of 16215 Old 04-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needis View Post

I figured out why I don't get the "pop" in 3d. I have bad eyes...lol. Right eye is weaker than left. But I do see depth. Funny, I think passive 3d is better for people with bad eyesight. I don't think I'll be returning my ES8000 ( I have till the 23rd). Watching non 3d is great.

Today I noticed after the FBI warning the screen goes blank, I see a lot of light from each of the corners of the TV and the screen is not at all black. But when the movies starts, the black top/bottom borders are BLACK with no signs of the lights from each of the corners.

That's funny I was just talking to my eye doctor about this at my last checkup. 3D actually gives your eye muscles a workout and can strengthen weak eyes. Bad reactions to 3D can actual be a symptom of an ocular disorder

I told my eye doctor that I watch a lot of native 3D content, and quite a bit of 2D-3D content, and she actually said that my astigmatism seemed to be gone/reduced from my last checkup and that it could be due to my eyes being stronger from watching 3D!

Your eyes (like any muscle) will need to be strengthened and conditioned to be able to handle longer durations of 3D content. If you experience discomfort, try sitting further back and that should help. There is less strain the further back you sit (because there is less vergence-accommodation conflict), and try not to watch 3D when tired or when the eyes are already fatigued

post #649 of 16215 Old 04-13-2012, 05:34 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's funny I was just talking to my eye doctor about this at my last checkup. 3D actually gives your eye muscles a workout and can strengthen weak eyes. Bad reactions to 3D can actual be a symptom of an ocular disorder

I told my eye doctor that I watch a lot of native 3D content, and quite a bit of 2D-3D content, and she actually said that my astigmatism seemed to be gone/reduced from my last checkup and that it could be due to my eyes being stronger from watching 3D!

Your eyes (like any muscle) will need to be strengthened and conditioned to be able to handle longer durations of 3D content. If you experience discomfort, try sitting further back and that should help. There is less strain the further back you sit (because there is less vergence-accommodation conflict), and try not to watch 3D when tired or when the eyes are already fatigued

Very interesting.
post #650 of 16215 Old 04-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Sounds like a new selling point for 3D!!! lol

post #651 of 16215 Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 PM

Well, after 2 days with the new UN55ES8000 (Version TS01 - March 2012 manufacture date), I cannot get past the corner light bleed or flashlighting, whatever it's called. For a 2012 flagship set with an MSRP of $3649, it is unacceptable for me. Same experience with the D7000 and D8000 sets I exchanged "up" for. I'm probably going to be trespassed from the store when I return this one *grin*

I am attaching an image for you guys to see. My screen is terribly distracting during dark scenes. I was really hoping Samsung figured out a way to mask edge light issues for 2012. (crappy photo taken from iPhone 4S but you can clearly see the corner imperfections).

Alas, I have accepted the limitations of current LED edge light technology and will be getting a 70" screen from a competitor for less money, this time from Costco - with a 2 year warranty.

Would have rather had a great 55" from Samsung instead.

Cheers! Good luck to you all... hope you find great panels!

Jay
LL
post #652 of 16215 Old 04-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyYYZ View Post

Well, after 2 days with the new UN55ES8000 (Version TS01 - March 2012 manufacture date), I cannot get past the corner light bleed or flashlighting, whatever it's called. For a 2012 flagship set with an MSRP of $3649, it is unacceptable for me. Same experience with the D7000 and D8000 sets I exchanged "up" for. I'm probably going to be trespassed from the store when I return this one *grin*

I am attaching an image for you guys to see. My screen is terribly distracting during dark scenes. I was really hoping Samsung figured out a way to mask edge light issues for 2012. (crappy photo taken from iPhone 4S but you can clearly see the corner imperfections).

Alas, I have accepted the limitations of current LED edge light technology and will be getting a 70" screen from a competitor for less money, this time from Costco - with a 2 year warranty.

Would have rather had a great 55" from Samsung instead.

Cheers! Good luck to you all... hope you find great panels!

Jay

A lot of that issue is caused by the edge lit screen.
30-40% will go away somewhere between week 3 and 4 after it has a chance to break in, also proper use of the backlight can help when combined with the ECO sensor. The backlight on the newer edge lit panels doesn't equal the luminosity of the rear lit sets, where a rear lit set may require a backlight setting of 14, the edge lit 2011's & 2012's use 8 for the same brightness level.

Also, looking a bit further at your uniformity, it looks as if you can get rid of a good portion of it with a massage.

Out of curiosity, what are your backlight and ECO sensor levels set at to produce those flashlights?
Would you mind posting some pictures with the backlight at 8, and with it at 8 with the eco @ 5? (give the eco at least a minute with the lights off to dial down) it would be very helpful for people looking at these sets to see this information.

Thanks!
post #653 of 16215 Old 04-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra View Post

30-40% will go away somewhere between week 3 and 4 after it has a chance to break in, also proper use of the backlight can help when combined with the ECO sensor. The backlight on the newer edge lit panels doesn't equal the luminosity of the rear lit sets, where a rear lit set may require a backlight setting of 14, the edge lit 2011's & 2012's use 8 for the same brightness level.

Also, looking a bit further at your uniformity, it looks as if you can get rid of a good portion of it with a massage.

Out of curiosity, what are your backlight and ECO sensor levels set at to produce those flashlights?
Would you mind posting some pictures with the backlight at 8, and with it at 8 with the eco @ 5? (give the eco at least a minute with the lights off to dial down) it would be very helpful for people looking at these sets to see this information.

Thanks!

Just got my set yesterday and I have some corner flashlighting as well. No matter what the backlight is set at, even when lowering it most of the way down, it is noticeable. Especially when watching letterbox content such as 2:35 aspect ratio movies and other letterbox content. Changing settings didn't help and the Eco sensor is off

I hope, as you say, most of the corner flashlighting will go away after the set breaks in in a few weeks. I might try massaging it gently, but will wait for it to break in some first. This set is very bright and I have been keeping a backlight setting of around 10 and contrast around 87. I may set the Eco Sensor to 5 sometime today. I'll try to post some pics, but may not be able to until Monday

Uniformity is great compared to my D8000 so I am very happy with that. I don't have any noticeable light bleed along the top/side edges, just the corners. The only thing I miss about my D8000 is the ability to turn off the top/bottom leds when watching letterbox content (I believe that feature was called Cinema Black)

I haven't tried the browser or the voice/gesture controls yet. 10%-50% greyscale tests and full screen cyan/magenta/yellow tests came back exceptionally well. If my D8000 had uniformity like this I never would have returned it!

It seems that the Micro Dimming Ultimate is not a high/low on/off switchable setting like it was last year (the Smart LED setting). There is no setting to turn it off except Game Mode I'm sure (not that I would want to turn it off)

One new feature/setting of note is Black Enhancer. The Black Tone setting (which I never used on the D8000) is still available in the Advanced Settings menu as well. I'm guessing this new Black Enhancer setting works via the Micro Dimming technology. Haven't messed with it enough to form a strong opinion on it yet

Movie mode on Warm 2 looks decent out of the box. Blacks are inky for the most part (for an LED set)

2D-3D is the best implementation of this feature on any tv/bluray consumer device available, even besting my holy grail of 2D-3D the 2011 Samsung BD-D6700. Motion just seems so smooth on 3D now, and even on the fly 2D-3D conversions with a high depth setting are fairly easy on the eyes now

I'll post some more impressions and some pics in a couple days

-Mike

post #654 of 16215 Old 04-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra View Post

Thanks!

You sound like you work for Samsung, because that's the same bs answer they gave me with my D8000. They wanted me to turn my backlight down to 8 for at least two weeks before they would come out. I don't mean to sound rude, but hearing you and Samsung tell people where they need to keep their settings is not a true solution to the problem. That's more like a bandaid. The consumer should be able to keep their settings where they want them. We as the consumer shouldn't have to dim our displays so that we can enjoy them without picture issues like this. That's like Ford telling someone that as long as they keep they're speed under 60 mph, they won't have issues with the motor. But if they decide to drive faster than that, issues will arise. Like I said, I'm not trying to be rude, but your suggestion is a bandaid, not a fix.

post #655 of 16215 Old 04-14-2012, 10:55 AM

Trying to decide if the 75ES is a better set that the new sharp 844 80"... Does anyone have experience with both sets and their quality for comparison ? Thanks!
post #656 of 16215 Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

We as the consumer shouldn't have to dim our displays so that we can enjoy them without picture issues like this.

I agree, although a proper calibration using a blu-ray DVD like Spears and Munsil resulted in a significant reduction in light bleed and hot spots etc on my Sammy un65c8000 when competed. The calibrated setting definitely improved the PQ but also resulted in lower backlight settings than I had previously thought was appropriate when adjusting "by eye".
post #657 of 16215 Old 04-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil47 View Post

I agree, although a proper calibration using a blu-ray DVD like Spears and Munsil resulted in a significant reduction in light bleed and hot spots etc on my Sammy un65c8000 when competed. The calibrated setting definitely improved the PQ but also resulted in lower backlight settings than I had previously thought was appropriate when adjusting "by eye".

Thats probably the biggest reason I've never had a professional calibration done on any high end hdtv I've owned. I hate to admit it, but I actually prefer "torch mode" I enjoy bright whites, deep blacks and very colorful picture. I'm not knocking anybody who has their tv calibrated and prefers a more natural and lifelike picture. I just dont like when a manufacturer like Samsung tells you that in order to avoid picture quality issues, use these settings. That to me just isnt right. Let the consumer choose the picture settings they prefer.

post #658 of 16215 Old 04-14-2012, 02:28 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

Thats probably the biggest reason I've never had a professional calibration done on any high end hdtv I've owned. I hate to admit it, but I actually prefer "torch mode" I enjoy bright whites, deep blacks and very colorful picture. I'm not knocking anybody who has their tv calibrated and prefers a more natural and lifelike picture. I just dont like when a manufacturer like Samsung tells you that in order to avoid picture quality issues, use these settings. That to me just isnt right. Let the consumer choose the picture settings they prefer.

I agree with you, many people prefer the torch mode.
post #659 of 16215 Old 04-14-2012, 05:23 PM

-SkyYYZ

Do you still the the flashlight when playing a movie? I don't notice the flashlight when I have a movie playing. The top/bottom are really dark.
post #660 of 16215 Old 04-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needis View Post

-SkyYYZ

Do you still the the flashlight when playing a movie? I don't notice the flashlight when I have a movie playing. The top/bottom are really dark.

Would you be able to take a couple pics with a blu-ray playing? It would be awesome to see some shots of the picture quality

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page