Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 16240 Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my experience, it fades dramatically after a few days. Just a suggestion... drop your backlight down to between 8-10 for the first couple of days, then jack it back up to your liking to test the results.

I had to exchange my first set due to a stuck pixel, but I was really pleased with it. And now it's been a few days with my new set and again, the flashlighting getting better.

I read that break-in is about 100hrs.

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 16240 Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 PM

Thanks SkyYYZ
I guess I'll wait a little while longer to see if the flashlighting disappears a bit.
post #813 of 16240 Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 PM

I just bought the UN60ES8000 and hoping someone might be willing to point me in the right direction or help me calibrate the settings to get the best possible picture. Loving so much about it overall though. Thanks in advance!
post #814 of 16240 Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 AM

I've tinkered with the set and I think I've found the perfect settings. I'm no expert, but I've used several calibration devices and methods as following:

1) Disney WoW Calibration disc (Blu-Ray)
2) Reference photographs
3) Real world ambient light method for White Balance

Here's what I got.

As a disclaimer, I've had sincere doubts about the performance of Dynamic Contrast and I know many have and will continue to swear against it, but this set actually has a VERY good Dynamic Contrast tool that, according to all tests, does NOT crush blacks or lose shadow detail.

SOURCE: Playstation 3 (Gaming/Bluray)
Picture Mode: Movie

Backlight: 7 / 14 (Night / Day)
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: 50/50
Screen Adjustment: Screen Fit

Advanced Settings:
Dynamic Contrast: Medium
Black Tone: Darker
Flesh Tone: 0
Color Space: Auto (I haven't tinkered with these calibration tools yet, but I DO want to adjust blues at some point)
White Balance:
R-Offset: 25
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 25
R-Gain: 9 (There is a HEAVY red push in Warm2)
G-Gain: 30
B-Gain: 33
10p White Balance: Off (again, I'm saving this for a professional or a time when I feel more adventurous)
Gamma: +2 (this helps offset the Dynamic Contrast/Black Tone settings used earlier and ensure a bright picture while retaining blacks)
xvYCC: Off
Black Enhancer: On

Picture Options:
Color Tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: off
MPEG Noise Filter: off
Auto Motion Plus: Clear
LED Motion Plus: On

Fore some reason, I was able to get more accurate WB settings under Game Mode. All settings, unless otherwise stated, are the same as those above. Here are those settings, but remember that you lose Motion Plus controls in this mode:

Mode: Standard (only mode available in Game Mode)
Advanced Settings:
Dynamic Contrast: Medium
Black Tone: Dark
Flesh Tone: -7
White Balance:
R-Offset: 25
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 25
R-Gain: 9 (There is a HEAVY red push in Warm2)
G-Gain: 31
B-Gain: 25
Gamma: -1, 0, or +1 (less for more poppy picture).

Hope you guys enjoy these settings. I will post pictures in a minute!
post #815 of 16240 Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 PM

Hi.

I've also posted over in avforum but it's a bit slow moving and I was after some objectivity and hopefully a good variety of replies :-)

I bought a 55ES7000 two weeks ago from a local store; it's my first big screen tv having previously had a 32" crt.

I did some background research and was well aware of the pitfalls with banding, clouding, flash lighting etc on the previous D series but decided to take my chances with the new ES series.

When I fired up the set I had no banding but I did have light-bleed from all four corners and all edges. I also had some faint clouding, but it was only slightly apparent on dark pictures. After a few days I also noticed a small "V" of light above the samsung sign which I hadn't noticed previously.

I persisted and after a week or so I noticed that most, if not all, of the edge-bleed had dissipated, the "V" of light had disappeared and the clouding was barely noticeable with a black background and not noticeable at all with a dark picture on the screen.

In the last few days the clouding has become slowly more apparent. First getting more noticeable on the temporary black screen you get in between changing channels, and now plainly visible in the dark sections of the X-Files movie when I put it on tonight as a test to see how bad the clouding had become.

I've tried lowering the contrast and turning the backlight down. Lowering the backlight to 4 or turning the backlight completely off still shows faint clouding in both Movie and Standard modes. The clouding is always noticeable on films with black bars and it comes and goes in the visible area depending on the brightness and contrast of the scene from the movie or tv program...

Anything with a bright picture looks fantastic and blemish free.

Are those of you with the ES8000 seeing similar issues?

It's down to personal opinion but in general how bad do you think clouding etc should be before it's generally deemed to be unacceptable? it's a reasonably expensive tv so to be fit for purpose, surely you should be able to view content without blemishes interfering with your viewable picture?

Is there anyone that is genuinely seeing no clouding by default or is everyone having to use tweaks to eliminate their clouding issues?

Are people finding the general level of clouding on sets acceptable and easily tweaked out using the settings on the TV?

Does the clouding reduce with time and use? Although I've had the tv two weeks, I work long hours and there are days where it hasn't been used, or only watched for three hours...I doubt I've racked up more than 30 hours so far.

It would have been a keeper if the clouding hadn't got worse. I'm now undecided whether to stick it out some more to see if it gets better or set an exchange in motion, as I could get a set that's better, the same, or indeed worse. I also do not want to wait too long before initiating an exchange

I've attached two pics...Backlight was full, contrast on 87...My normal backlight setting is 13 with a contrast of 87. Even reducing the backlight to 13 I still see the same effect shown in the photos, just on a slightly lesser scale.

The clouding appears grey/white under normal viewing but in the pictures it has a blue tinge probably because I took the photos with my phone. Picture 1 is a black screen and picture 2 is a paused scene from a movie. Under real viewing, the clouding actually looks slightly worse than is shown in picture 2 when a movie is playing...

post #816 of 16240 Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 PM

Liked: 18
I have the D8000 but IMO your first pic is unacceptable, I would exchange. My set never looked that bad and got better after 3 weeks. I have 2 horizontal bands that are noticeable during vertical pans & the most minor flashlighting in 4 corners...that's why I'm exchanging. If this is a sign of the ES then I'm going plasma.
post #817 of 16240 Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM

Liked: 13
On the tail of Bullitt's clouding and flashlighing observations (above), another review of the ES8000 that is NOT that glowing ...

http://us.digitalversus.com/tv-telev...2984/test.html

I may need to look more closely at plasmas, i.e. the Panasonic 65GT50 or 65VT50.
post #818 of 16240 Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 PM

Thanks for replying Time :-)

If I couldn't see the clouding while watching stuff I would be tempted to suck it up...I'm annoyed that the clouding has got worse in week two of having my set instead of better so it doesn't bode well for the future...

According to the law of averages, there must be happy owners who don't have any issues, though I think I've only seen three people state on forums they have absolutely no clouding :-( The rest seem to be tweaking settings to get round it...Not what you should have to do with a tv costing the amount this one does...

The light bleed does seem to dissipate over the first week of use and even the flared corner lighting that can appear when you start watching in 3d disappears on mine after a while even on a backlight setting of 20...

I think I'm going to return today and try a second set...Just tried to watch Lord Of The Rings and once the clouding appears it's hard not to be drawn to it...
post #819 of 16240 Old 05-02-2012, 09:48 PM

I just had a glance through that review and it seems to be a fair one. There is a picture clearly showing the clouding, although I don't think it's quite as bad as mine.

To be fair i don't think the viewing angle seems to be as tight on the 7000 as some are reporting for the 8000. I haven't noticed it being that bad when viewing off centre.

I think I'm also going to check out the Panasonic as a possible alternative in case the Samsung doesn't work out...
post #820 of 16240 Old 05-03-2012, 06:23 AM

First and foremost, you should never watch an LED television, especially one that gets as bright as this Samsung, with a full back light setting of 20. I wouldn't go higher than 14 in bright viewing areas, and 6-8 in dark areas. Raising it to 20 not only will kill your vision, but will also display the inevitable flaws in the set. That being said, the 7000 supposedly has less dimming capability than the 8000 which helps eliminate the nonuniformities. If you look at my settings above, you'll see that I believe this set has unprecedented Dynamic Contrast functionality and black level enhancing tools that help to get those errors down.
post #821 of 16240 Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 AM

Hi Swugly.

Of course you are quite right, and for the record I should state that I actually goofed when quoting the settings I took the photos at...

The settings were movie mode with backlight 13 and contrast 87, although I normally watch with backlight at 8-10. I bumped the backlight slightly just to make the clouding a fraction clearer for the photos....Apologies, I should have stated that previously but my post was already a bit long...

I see the same effect in standard mode, just fractionally less and the latter two photos I posted were backlight at 10 in movie mode...

I've tried dialling the backlight, brightness and contrast down (even turning the backlight off altogether) along with swapping from movie to standard mode but I can't stop the misting overlaying the picture in some scenarios. If I had clouding that wasn't visible on any picture area I'd probably swallow it, but it is and I can't :-(
post #822 of 16240 Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt06 View Post

Hi.

I've also posted over in avforum but it's a bit slow moving and I was after some objectivity and hopefully a good variety of replies :-)

I bought a 55ES7000 two weeks ago from a local store; it's my first big screen tv having previously had a 32" crt.

I did some background research and was well aware of the pitfalls with banding, clouding, flash lighting etc on the previous D series but decided to take my chances with the new ES series.

When I fired up the set I had no banding but I did have light-bleed from all four corners and all edges. I also had some faint clouding, but it was only slightly apparent on dark pictures. After a few days I also noticed a small "V" of light above the samsung sign which I hadn't noticed previously.

I persisted and after a week or so I noticed that most, if not all, of the edge-bleed had dissipated, the "V" of light had disappeared and the clouding was barely noticeable with a black background and not noticeable at all with a dark picture on the screen.

In the last few days the clouding has become slowly more apparent. First getting more noticeable on the temporary black screen you get in between changing channels, and now plainly visible in the dark sections of the X-Files movie when I put it on tonight as a test to see how bad the clouding had become.

I've tried lowering the contrast and turning the backlight down. Lowering the backlight to 4 or turning the backlight completely off still shows faint clouding in both Movie and Standard modes. The clouding is always noticeable on films with black bars and it comes and goes in the visible area depending on the brightness and contrast of the scene from the movie or tv program...

Anything with a bright picture looks fantastic and blemish free.

Are those of you with the ES8000 seeing similar issues?

It's down to personal opinion but in general how bad do you think clouding etc should be before it's generally deemed to be unacceptable? it's a reasonably expensive tv so to be fit for purpose, surely you should be able to view content without blemishes interfering with your viewable picture?

Is there anyone that is genuinely seeing no clouding by default or is everyone having to use tweaks to eliminate their clouding issues?

Are people finding the general level of clouding on sets acceptable and easily tweaked out using the settings on the TV?

Does the clouding reduce with time and use? Although I've had the tv two weeks, I work long hours and there are days where it hasn't been used, or only watched for three hours...I doubt I've racked up more than 30 hours so far.

It would have been a keeper if the clouding hadn't got worse. I'm now undecided whether to stick it out some more to see if it gets better or set an exchange in motion, as I could get a set that's better, the same, or indeed worse. I also do not want to wait too long before initiating an exchange

I've attached two pics...Backlight was full, contrast on 87...My normal backlight setting is 13 with a contrast of 87. Even reducing the backlight to 13 I still see the same effect shown in the photos, just on a slightly lesser scale.

The clouding appears grey/white under normal viewing but in the pictures it has a blue tinge probably because I took the photos with my phone. Picture 1 is a black screen and picture 2 is a paused scene from a movie. Under real viewing, the clouding actually looks slightly worse than is shown in picture 2 when a movie is playing...

I've gas the es8000 for a month and my clouding has gotten worse also. I only notice it on all black screens and it doesn't bother me at all. I just wanted to pipe in though and let others know it may be a problem. In the last three days my tv has also turned off and on by itself as others have reported. It has only happened twice though.
post #823 of 16240 Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Hi Swugly.

You are, of course, correct and I would never watch tv with the backlight on 20 unless I wanted to fry my retinas.

I should add that I mistakenly quoted the backlight as 20 and contrast at 87, for the photos I took, when in fact they were backlight at 13 and contrast at 87. I got the same clouding whether in movie mode or standard, and I could also see the clouding/misting even with the backlight off in conjunction with dialled down contrast and brightness. Over the two weeks I had the set I used a backlight of 13 for bright settings and 6-10 for dark settings.

I'm well aware the technology has its flaws, but I have seen people posting (with ES7000 and ES8000 panels) that they have no issues of any kind with flash-lighting/torch-lighting and no clouding, so it must be possible to get sets with no issues, it's just a shame it seems to be such a lottery.

I still believe that a company producing tv's at this price-point should not have to rely on it's customers tweaking their settings to hide flaws when it's apparently possible for units to roll off the production line with no issues.

I posted in the hope of getting feedback from people to see how many genuinely had no issues, with lighting or clouding...Originally my clouding was minimal and had it stayed that way I would have kept the set. Only the clouding impeaching on my viewing made me wonder how much was acceptable to other owners...
post #824 of 16240 Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 AM

Flyguychad...

Seems like you have what I had originally, where it was only evident on all black backgrounds...Sadly for me that changed...

It's good to know that it doesn't affect your viewing and I hope it stays that way for you :-)
post #825 of 16240 Old 05-03-2012, 11:04 AM

For all those in favor of higher back-light settings, I've got an interesting article discussing modern day tv lifespans and how it's shortened quicker because of the intensity of the back-light [Link] After giving this a good read I bet most if not all would be keen on lowering their back-lights a bit
post #826 of 16240 Old 05-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Liked: 11
Hey everyone,

New guy here. I got my UN60ES8000 tv from Amazon a week ago and have been enjoying it ever since. A quick Google search landed me here!

My wife and I were at Fry's just LOOKING at tv's as our old 720p HP plasma was going out, and we were hoping to pick up something on Black Friday of this year.
Anyhow they had all the TV's lined up and all playing Despicable Me. Needless to say the UN60ES8000 stood out with clarity and color over all of them. Although there was an LG that was VERY close!!!

They had it for $3299 plus tax, plus delivery. I logged on to Amazon and saw the same TV for $3199, no tax, no delivery.
So we made the decision to buy it.
Bought a ULTRA SLIM wall mount (hangs the TV like a picture with a metal wire) and the TV is so close to the wall, its thinner than most of our oil paintings.

I had Amazon price match the TV with CDW two days ago so our total price was ~$2800 for it, pretty good can't complain.

Well I have the cloudyness like a lot of others have.
It is weird though because while watching TV at night (no ambient light) and a commercial ends and the screen goes black, it is literrally BLACK in the living room, no clouding or anything. Yet sometimes its EXTREMELY easy to see. That is the worst issue I have with the TV.
Amazon's return policy is easy and I have three more weeks to decide if I keep it or we send it back.
I would LOVE to keep it, especially since its mounted and we have 100% rearranged our whole living room for this TV.

The brightness is down as others have suggested, but of course the picture isn't as bright.
Was just curious about what others went through, do you just send the TV back and hope the next one is better? Do I do this via Amazon or should I deal with Samsung directly???
post #827 of 16240 Old 05-03-2012, 02:22 PM

Hey Rob!

Did you see the cloudiness when you first got the set or was it only recently that you noticed it? While I and a few other owners had faint clouding that got worse, I have heard some say that users with faint clouding reported that it all but cleared up within a couple of weeks. Obviously that's just hearsay though...

If you're enjoying it and it isn't interfering with the picture in any way, my advice is just carry on enjoying it and don't stress...Keep an eye on it and make sure that if it gets worse, you let your dealer know if you think you may have to initiate a return.

When I returned my first one I went through the dealer I purchased from. Had I met resistance I would have gone the Samsung direct route, had an engineer come out etc etc.

When the clouding is easy to see does it interfere with the viewable picture?

What settings are you using for backlight/brightness/contrast for night and day?
post #828 of 16240 Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt06 View Post

Hey Rob!

Did you see the cloudiness when you first got the set or was it only recently that you noticed it? While I and a few other owners had faint clouding that got worse, I have heard some say that users with faint clouding reported that it all but cleared up within a couple of weeks. Obviously that's just hearsay though...

If you're enjoying it and it isn't interfering with the picture in any way, my advice is just carry on enjoying it and don't stress...Keep an eye on it and make sure that if it gets worse, you let your dealer know if you think you may have to initiate a return.

When I returned my first one I went through the dealer I purchased from. Had I met resistance I would have gone the Samsung direct route, had an engineer come out etc etc.

When the clouding is easy to see does it interfere with the viewable picture?

What settings are you using for backlight/brightness/contrast for night and day?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I do notice it, when I have my media center hooked up the lights are SUPER bright (clouding) since no background image.

I will take some pics to share with everyone (if that is ok)
and I will get the exact setting numbers tonight as well.

I hate to return it, but for $3000 I think the TV should be near perfect....
post #829 of 16240 Old 05-03-2012, 04:33 PM

Liked: 13
I haven't had any major clouding issues, some minor stuff in the corners when watching letter box movies, but it is decreasing. Have you all with this issue tried adjusting Black Tone, HDMI level, and Gamma settings?

Xbox Gamertag: Magaman
Editor in Chief -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #830 of 16240 Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 PM

I've yet to have the option to adjust HDMI levels. I like Gamma -1 until I get around to calibrating the set, as swugly has so kindly shared with us.
post #831 of 16240 Old 05-03-2012, 10:15 PM

Here is my screen all black

sorry for the big picture not sure how to make it smaller............
post #832 of 16240 Old 05-04-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4448585 View Post

Here is my screen all black

sorry for the big picture not sure how to make it smaller............

This was my biggest concern was them taking the local dimming out n just going with software dimming. It would increase the chances for clouding and flashlighting. I posted these of my d8000 last year in compleat darkness with normal exposure on my camera, no clouding or flashlighting.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=378
post #833 of 16240 Old 05-04-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

This was my biggest concern was them taking the local dimming out n just going with software dimming. It would increase the chances for clouding and flashlighting. I posted these of my d8000 last year in compleat darkness with normal exposure on my camera, no clouding or flashlighting.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=378

wow I wish my $$$$ TV looked like that
post #834 of 16240 Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 PM

Ok so after 3 days of leaving my 60ES8000 on all day and all night, the flashlighting from the 4 corners has completely disappeared and the clouding is barely visible. I was extremely disappointed in the beginning and was getting ready to return it. Took some advice from SkyYYZ on breaking tv set in and now im extremely happy. Even the voice and motion control are more responsive. Best picture quality I ever seen.

Previously owned C8000, and my new ES8000 is a major improvement.
post #835 of 16240 Old 05-05-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elboy123 View Post

Ok so after 3 days of leaving my 60ES8000 on all day and all night, the flashlighting from the 4 corners has completely disappeared and the clouding is barely visible. I was extremely disappointed in the beginning and was getting ready to return it. Took some advice from SkyYYZ on breaking tv set in and now im extremely happy. Even the voice and motion control are more responsive. Best picture quality I ever seen.

Could u take a pic? Black screen in dark room.
post #836 of 16240 Old 05-05-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:

Wish I could take the credit... I too was about to return my TV, but nitra posted a suggestion to drop the backlight. A few days later I was showing a buddy the menu or something and boom! it was then I noticed the flashlighting had all but disappeared even when I jacked the backlight up.

Anyways, glad it worked out for you too!
post #837 of 16240 Old 05-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I'm suprised at how many of these sets look bad with clouding or edge/corner bleed out of the box from a cold start. I don't know if its a problem inherent to the edge lit technology or what. But after about 100 hours when the backlight starts to soften and the set warms up these issues seem to go away for the most part. If, after a week or so, you are still seeing these issues on your panel you either A. Got a bad panel or B. Don't watch your tv very much and haven't given the set a chance to warm up and really shine

The backlight on these sets is SUPERNOVA bright out of the box for the first 100 hours! I feel sorry for anyone's eyes who likes DYNAMIC "Torch" Mode and a backlight of 20 lol! This set is literally supposed to be 2.5 times brighter than the D8000 but I think a lot of that has to do with being on higher brightness/gamma settings and 3D viewing because it is very watchable with a backlight of 10-15 with calibrated settings and a lower gamma

I'm very pleased with my set thus far and am glad we are not all dealing with the various banding/uniformity issues of the early D8000's. You just have to be mindful that these sets need time for the backlight to soften and perform best when On and warmed up/being watched

post #838 of 16240 Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 AM

Not the best pics, but I tried. There is no flashlighting and clouding is barely visible even in the darkest scenes.
LL
LL
LL
post #839 of 16240 Old 05-05-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Not the best pics, but I tried. There is no flashlighting and clouding is barely visible even in the darkest scenes.

WOW those pictures look awesome!!!!!!!!!

Mind telling us what settings you left the TV on (brightness, mode, etc) and what you left displaying on the TV for the three days? (specific break in video, random TV shows)
This is my last thing to try since it is VERY bad for me (even on 7 backlight).

Thanks guys, for all the information, and I think this thread is a great repository for all of the things we try, settings and features with this TV. Glad I found this forum!
post #840 of 16240 Old 05-05-2012, 11:19 AM

I just left any random channel that showed full screen all day and night for 3 days at backlight setting 7.

My settings right now are:

picture mode: standard
Backlight: 11
contrast: 94
Brightness: 46
sharpness: 25
color: 56
Tint: 48/52

Advance settings

Dynamic contrast: medium
Black tone: *Darkest*
flesh tone: 0
gama: 0
Motion lighting: off

Picture options:

color tone: warm 1
diginal noise filter: off
mpeg noise filter: off
Hdmi black level: *OFF*
flm mode:auto 2
AutoMotion: CLEAR
led motion plus: on

Enjoy!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page