post #61 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by balla01 View Post

Free of charge??

yes, afterall their MSRP is the same right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 04:12 PM

firmware update already available
new version 1012, from 1008
post #63 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

Just got the 55ES8000 in and i'm setting it up right now. I think the stand is pretty cool looking. It's different, but i like it. Sucks it doesnt swivel though. Nice looking TV, but I thought the frame and base especially felt a little cheap for a $3400 TV. Altough, that doesn't really matter much since once you get it where you want it, no one will be touching the frame anyway.

nothing is better than the stand that came with my original D6050, that stand rocked, solid glass & swivel capable. Then i got the D6400, and although still a good stand it was graphite, but more aluminum than anything, and then the D7000 with it's 4 legged monstrosity, of which i let them keep & retained my D6400. But the current ES stand looks god awful & that sucks big-time that it doesn't swivel. The brand development team need to get a grip on how customers feel & get it right!
post #64 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Thank you for taking the time to post the pictures. Looks a very nice set.

Hope all is well when set up etc.

Aaron

can u upload a picture of the whole tv itself in daylight with the tv being on and one with the tv being off i am sure we would all love to see a picture of those 2 pic's thank u and enjoy your new cool tv.
post #65 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just went to amazon to see if they had this tv in stock.I noticed that there was one review and it was not good. Man, I hope this was just a bad tv this person purchased. I have the 55" D8000 and so did this reviewer at amazon and he said this tv had the same problems as the 8000 had with uniformity and washed out picture. This really scares me because I was hoping Samsung would of fixed all the problems the d8000 had. I just hope he got a bad one.
post #66 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anis_ber View Post

yes, afterall their MSRP is the same right?

So you basically paid the difference? Am I following that right?
post #67 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balla01 View Post

So you basically paid the difference? Am I following that right?

what difference? they are same series 8, same MSRP
did not pay a dime
post #68 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 04:34 PM

A list of reviews I've seen so far (the European version, which as we've seen is the same.)

http://www.pluggedin.co.uk/review/sa...-expert-review

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...1069068/review

On blacks:
"after these simple adjustments, you get a picture that goes from having rather washed out dark scenes with obvious backlight inconsistencies to one with arguably the deepest and most uniform black levels delivered to date from Edge LED technology."

On 3d:
"Then there's crosstalk. As 2011 rolled on and more and more 3D TVs emerged, it became increasingly clear that Samsung's 2011 LCD TVs weren't the best when it came to handling the 3D ghosting phenomenon.

But the improvement for the Samsung UE55ES8000 is substantial, to the extent that with one or two rare exceptions, you tend to only see crosstalk around objects in the extreme distance."

"The only serious flaw with 3D images is that as the screen ramps up its light output for 3D viewing, it causes fairly obvious jets of backlight bleed to appear over dark scenes in each of the image's corners.

You can reduce this problem by taking some of the backlight brightness out of the picture, but this inevitably takes some of the punch out of 3D images, too."

And then I realized that the other 6 I had opened were all just copies of the techradar review with words changed here and there.
post #69 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anis_ber View Post

what difference? they are same series 8, same MSRP
did not pay a dime

Wow, so you are saying Samsung will replace your D8000 with the 2012 model if it's defective?
post #70 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldRommel View Post

A list of reviews I've seen so far (the European version, which as we've seen is the same.)

http://www.pluggedin.co.uk/review/sa...-expert-review

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...1069068/review

On blacks:
"after these simple adjustments, you get a picture that goes from having rather washed out dark scenes with obvious backlight inconsistencies to one with arguably the deepest and most uniform black levels delivered to date from Edge LED technology."

On 3d:
"Then there's crosstalk. As 2011 rolled on and more and more 3D TVs emerged, it became increasingly clear that Samsung's 2011 LCD TVs weren't the best when it came to handling the 3D ghosting phenomenon.

But the improvement for the Samsung UE55ES8000 is substantial, to the extent that with one or two rare exceptions, you tend to only see crosstalk around objects in the extreme distance."

"The only serious flaw with 3D images is that as the screen ramps up its light output for 3D viewing, it causes fairly obvious jets of backlight bleed to appear over dark scenes in each of the image's corners.

You can reduce this problem by taking some of the backlight brightness out of the picture, but this inevitably takes some of the punch out of 3D images, too."

And then I realized that the other 6 I had opened were all just copies of the techradar review with words changed here and there.

at least so far there saying there no uniformity problem's and that's a good thing so the tv come out of the box with not so good picture u have to calbrated the tv in something's to get it the best picture as u can ,i am fine with that BUT i am still going to wait for CNET to review there tv's as of now no word yet on there tv review's but u have to understand these reviews are UK review's so americans can have a whole new different tv over in america .then again u never know ,Thank u for the little review u gave us .
post #71 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
post #72 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph10704 View Post

at least so far there saying there no uniformity problem's and that's a good thing so the tv come out of the box with not so good picture u have to calbrated the tv in something's to get it the best picture as u can ,i am fine with that BUT i am still going to wait for CNET to review there tv's as of now no word yet on there tv review's but u have to understand these reviews are UK review's so americans can have a whole new different tv over in america .then again u never know ,Thank u for the little review u gave us .

Not to be negative, but.

Quote:

The only serious flaw with 3D images is that as the screen ramps up its light output for 3D viewing, it causes fairly obvious jets of backlight bleed to appear over dark scenes in each of the image's corners.

post #73 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:

Not to be negative, but.

Which they say only happens in 3d mode and is fixed by turning down the backlight brightness. I still fail to see the real problem here.
post #74 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Which they say only happens in 3d mode and is fixed by turning down the backlight brightness. I still fail to see the real problem here.

True but it is still there, and again it is having to change a setting and reduce the backlight to fix/hide a problem with a set at this price, should we have to do that?

BTW i am not anti Samsung here, just a general comment.

Aaron
post #75 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Not to be negative, but.

the crazy thing is tho look at last year's D8000 cnet review no joke when it came to 3D the best 3D tv on the market last year was D8000 so for this to happen this year ,its kinda a let down ,but like the review did say u can lower it down and trueley i think a fireware update will be able to fix that ,but u never know ,let see what cnet has to say this year tho i am sure there will be different anwer's buddy .Thank u for commenting back bro
post #76 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have to add just for completeness here.

Quote:

On blacks:

They are talking about 2D viewing here, and here.

Quote:

Just as well, then, that it doesn't take much work to transform the Samsung UE55ES8000's pictures from garish eyeball bashers with backlight inconsistency and OTT colours into genuine video excellence.

But i just think this sounds the same as other edge led sets. Having to turn the backlight down to hide uniformity problems. Not all will have the same level of bleed/ clouding as others so some going to 15 backlight with room to spare (still very bright) while others may be forced to head towards 10 and lower before the issues go. Also as stated with 3D lowering the backlight is not ideal as the glasses already darken the screen.

Aaron
post #77 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the crazy thing is tho look at last year's D8000 cnet review no joke when it came to 3D the best 3D tv on the market last year was D8000 so for this to happen this year ,its kinda a let down ,but like the review did say u can lower it down and trueley i think a fireware update will be able to fix that ,but u never know ,let see what cnet has to say this year tho i am sure there will be different anwer's buddy .Thank u for commenting back bro

No worries,

I am not trying to hijack the thread and turn it negative as there is allot to like about Samsung tvs. Just making observations.
post #78 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:

No worries,

I am not trying to hijack the thread and turn it negative as there is allot to like about Samsung tvs. Just making observations.

bro u are a cool person i can see it in your word's .
post #79 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Not to be negative, but.

Not to be positive, but I couldn't give less than a rats-ass about any bleed during 3d. I have tried it out in store a few times and a few times at different people's houses when they wanted to show off, and while it is interesting for a couple of secs., it isn't something I would actually use.

And from talk on other forums most buying seems to think the say way.

As long as the uniformity and flashlighting is good in 2d, that has me sold.

I just wish Samsung would get a clue and stop including 3d glasses and just knock a couple hundred off the price. Go back to selling the glasses extra, and instead throw in the wireless keyboard. I mean come on, the "Smart" TV is a much bigger selling feature and will get used way more often than 3d, especially if a keyboard came included in the box. Why can't Samsung figure that out.
post #80 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

bro u are a cool person i can see it in your word's .

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooben View Post

Not to be positive, but I couldn't give less than a rats-ass about any bleed during 3d. I have tried it out in store a few times and a few times at different people's houses when they wanted to show off, and while it is interesting for a couple of secs., it isn't something I would actually use.

I just wish Samsung would get a clue and stop including 3d glasses and just knock a couple hundred off the price. Go back to selling the glasses extra, and instead throw in the wireless keyboard. I mean come on, the "Smart" TV is a much bigger selling feature and will get used way more often than 3d, especially if a keyboard came included in the box. Why can't Samsung figure that out.

I agree with you, i have tried 3D a couple of times and it didn't do a whole lot for me. But there are others who will want to use the 3D feature so the raising of the backlight will affect them.

Aaron
post #81 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 PM

new review is on amizion and here is what the guy has to say about the tv
Customer Review

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
Samsung UN55ES8000, March 13, 2012
By Gary L. Tankersley
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Samsung UN55ES8000 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Silver) (Electronics)
Just received my tv today and not noticed any of the complaints the other reviewer is having. The picture quality in HD and 3D is very good standard definition is just standard it is not much any tv can do for low quality signal. The voice and gesture controls were easy to setup and they work just fine. I have notSamsung UN55ES8000 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Silver) had time to get into calibrating the color and other settings. I gave the tv five stars because it was everything I thought it would be. I don't think any tv will be perfect, but is close.

now for thoses who read the other review on amizion ,the bad review that the guy made i spoke to him and all he said was bad thing's he showed me pictures and i got then if anyone want to see the picture let me know or i will try and put them on here there not that good,BUT HERE THE FUNNY THING he was complaining that the PICTURE was bad and he said to me oh i am useing apple tv 720P streaming so i think he got a bad tv or his internet stream SUCKS ,BUT get this theres more the guy told me OHH i got the NEW apple TV 1080P version ,UMM guys the new 1080p aplle tv does not come out till this friday so i got him in his lie and he still has not said anything on his review after i got him on his lie.lol crazy right so this mean's that gus is bsing .PS sorry for the bad spelling .hoep this helped everyone .i have high hope in samsung this year.
post #82 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

new review is on amizion and here is what the guy has to say about the tv
Customer Review

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
Samsung UN55ES8000, March 13, 2012
By Gary L. Tankersley
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Samsung UN55ES8000 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Silver) (Electronics)
Just received my tv today and not noticed any of the complaints the other reviewer is having. The picture quality in HD and 3D is very good standard definition is just standard it is not much any tv can do for low quality signal. The voice and gesture controls were easy to setup and they work just fine. I have notSamsung UN55ES8000 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Silver) had time to get into calibrating the color and other settings. I gave the tv five stars because it was everything I thought it would be. I don't think any tv will be perfect, but is close.

now for thoses who read the other review on amizion ,the bad review that the guy made i spoke to him and all he said was bad thing's he showed me pictures and i got then if anyone want to see the picture let me know or i will try and put them on here there not that good,BUT HERE THE FUNNY THING he was complaining that the PICTURE was bad and he said to me oh i am useing apple tv 720P streaming so i think he got a bad tv or his internet stream SUCKS ,BUT get this theres more the guy told me OHH i got the NEW apple TV 1080P version ,UMM guys the new 1080p aplle tv does not come out till this friday so i got him in his lie and he still has not said anything on his review after i got him on his lie.lol crazy right so this mean's that gus is bsing .PS sorry for the bad spelling .hoep this helped everyone .i have high hope in samsung this year.

this reviewer appears to be a Harvard grad, NOT! reading this review is like pulling teeth!
post #83 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

this reviewer appears to be a Harvard grad, NOT!

It did make for rather difficult reading.

amizion. Am i missing something here?
post #84 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry, i got caught up in a big sale and didn't get to evaluate the tv how i wouldve liked to. I had a lady considering the es8000 i just put up, but she couldn't justify the price difference vs the D7000 we had on clearance for half that. For 80ish she was very technologically caught up, i was impressed, although she still payed by check .

Anyway, my initial thoughts of this tv is holy crap it's bright. It was a lot brighter than the D7000, and although LEDs dim overtime, i don't recall the D7000 making my eyes hurt when i first displayed it. This tv redefines torch mode. Obviously this is not negative that the tv is ridiculously bright since it can be adjusted. One strange thing i did notice and i'm going to look into it when i get back in thursday is that the screen had uneven tinting. The top was magenta tinted and greenish towards the bottom. Weird.

First thing i watched was 3D Transformers 3 and thought it looked great and not so great at the same time. The 3D depth was really good, but did see a good amount of xtalk that was distracting, although like others have said adjusting the brightness may easily fix this which i agree with, i just never tried it. Another downside is that I'm so used to watching/demoing this movie on the gt/st30 that going to LCD tech, blurring was very noticeable w/ and w/o dejudder/blur options toggled.

I did really like the glasses. I thought they were extremely comfortable on my nose and didn't feel too tight or hurt the tops of my ears where they rest (i don't normally wear glasses) like other models i've worn. 4 included in the box is a nice addition.

The last thing i played with momentarily was the voice control. I used it through the remote since there's so much ambient noise in the store, the on panel mic was having troubles hearing me. If anyone is use to voice controls on the xbox kinect, the controls on this will feel natural. Worked smoothly. The only thing i couldn't figure out is how to word digital channels. For example instead of a solid channel 14, our channel is 14.1 like most digital channels are point something. I worded it dozens of different ways and couldn't get the point to come up. Perhaps i'll have to go through the manual to figure it out.

If no one gets any up, ill post better pictures on here on Thursday when i go back in to work.

Oh, and I'm also going to test the new glasses on other 2012 TVs as we get them. I tried the 2011 samsung glasses on the panasonic UT50 and they did not work as expected. But then i tried the new 2012 samsung glasses on the UT50, which are supposed to work, and experienced the same issues as the 2011 versions (they synced to the tv but looked 2D with heavy xtalk). I'll look into this further on thursday to see what the deal is because that's not suppose to be the case w/ 2012 glasses.

post #85 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooben View Post

not to bust your bubble ,but samsung tv's this year and this goes for the ES8000 and ES7500 there not alot of money because of 3D ,there alot of money because for the most part this year there SMART TV and all the thing's u can do with the tv.I mean u can talk to your tv u say HI TV power on so i feel the built in cam on top ,voice control, and crazy SMART HUB mind u thats in FULL 1080p,so u get were i am comeing from right .and really the tv is not that much at this point right now u can get a UN46ES8000 for less then 2,299 OR UN55ES8000 for 2,899 if u ask me that's not a lot of money .for everything u get in side of the box and in the tv.its like a super fast car.
post #86 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooben View Post

not to be positive, but i couldn't give less than a rats-ass about any bleed during 3d. I have tried it out in store a few times and a few times at different people's houses when they wanted to show off, and while it is interesting for a couple of secs., it isn't something i would actually use.

I just wish samsung would get a clue and stop including 3d glasses and just knock a couple hundred off the price. Go back to selling the glasses extra, and instead throw in the wireless keyboard. I mean come on, the "smart" tv is a much bigger selling feature and will get used way more often than 3d, especially if a keyboard came included in the box. Why can't samsung figure that out.

+1
post #87 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

Sorry, i got caught up in a big sale and didn't get to evaluate the tv how i wouldve liked to. I had a lady considering the es8000 i just put up, but she couldn't justify the price difference vs the D7000 we had on clearance for half that. For 80ish she was very technologically caught up, i was impressed, although she still payed by check .

Anyway, my initial thoughts of this tv is holy crap it's bright. It was a lot brighter than the D7000, and although LEDs dim overtime, i don't recall the D7000 making my eyes hurt when i first displayed it. This tv redefines torch mode. Obviously this is not negative that the tv is ridiculously bright since it can be adjusted. One strange thing i did notice and i'm going to look into it when i get back in thursday is that the screen had uneven tinting. The top was magenta tinted and greenish towards the bottom. Weird.

First thing i watched was 3D Transformers 3 and thought it looked great and not so great at the same time. The 3D depth was really good, but did see a good amount of xtalk that was distracting, although like others have said adjusting the brightness may easily fix this which i agree with, i just never tried it. Another downside is that I'm so used to watching/demoing this movie on the gt/st30 that going to LCD tech, blurring was very noticeable w/ and w/o dejudder/blur options toggled.

I did really like the glasses. I thought they were extremely comfortable on my nose and didn't feel too tight or hurt the tops of my ears where they rest (i don't normally wear glasses) like other models i've worn. 4 included in the box is a nice addition.

The last thing i played with momentarily was the voice control. I used it through the remote since there's so much ambient noise in the store, the on panel mic was having troubles hearing me. If anyone is use to voice controls on the xbox kinect, the controls on this will feel natural. Worked smoothly. The only thing i couldn't figure out is how to word digital channels. For example instead of a solid channel 14, our channel is 14.1 like most digital channels are point something. I worded it dozens of different ways and couldn't get the point to come up. Perhaps i'll have to go through the manual to figure it out.

If no one gets any up, ill post better pictures on here on Thursday when i go back in to work.

Oh, and I'm also going to test the new glasses on other 2012 TVs as we get them. I tried the 2011 samsung glasses on the panasonic UT50 and they did not work as expected. But then i tried the new 2012 samsung glasses on the UT50, which are supposed to work, and experienced the same issues as the 2011 versions (they synced to the tv but looked 2D with heavy xtalk). I'll look into this further on thursday to see what the deal is because that's not suppose to be the case w/ 2012 glasses.

i will let u now this when u are watching a 3D movie it really does not just matter on the tv and its 3D look's it matter's on HOW the disc was made ,the 3D on transformers 3 LOOKS fantastic for what is was U just need to calibrate your tv ,now i am alittle confuesed.did u get the ES8000 OR D7000 ,the d7000 is really cool 3D but yes there is some xtalk,but that really matters on HOW THE BLURAY WAS MADE .hope this helps good luck.
post #88 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

this reviewer appears to be a Harvard grad, NOT! reading this review is like pulling teeth!

are u makeing fun of me or the amizion reviewer lol.
post #89 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If there's flashlighting in 3D, there will be flashlighting in 2D. There's nothing about 3D that would exacerbate flashlighting, except for the fact that it cranks the backlight to 20 by default. However, I can't help but think this is a situation of these particular reviewers not using enough test cases, and just happening to come across one that exhibits flashlighting in a 3D Blu Ray. That, and the D8000 exhibited plenty of flashlighting with the backlight even at 1, so I'd be surprised if it was completely eliminated in the ES8000, or even noticeably reduced.

The D8000 and ES8000 panels seem remarkably similar in how they work. If that's true, then the worst case scenario is this test pattern. I thought I got lucky with my D8000 until a logo appeared that spanned from top to bottom like that test pattern.

If it's a bright object/logo in the center of the screen (like a small circle), you won't have any flashlighting at all. This is because the TV is able to turn off the top and bottom segments of LEDs. This test tricks a lot of people into thinking their set has no flashlighting issues, only to be disappointed after watching enough material.

The shape that most people see with flashlighting is similar to this:

I find this unsurprising, as at least on the H303 D8000s, there are two columns of LEDs and at least one row of LEDs (along the bottom). This leads to flashlighting in the corners, as the light meets from adjacent column/row to form a cumulative, parabolic curve. To offset it, I would exponentially decrease (or filter) the intensity of the LEDs as they approach a corner, but I'm betting they tried this and found it either too expensive or not effective. If you want to see more of what these TVs look like, check out this D8000 teardown. It's pretty interesting at the very least.

TL;DR it's a crappy review. If there's flashlighting in 3D, there's flashlighting in 2D.

Again, a disclaimer (for those who literally get upset about this stuff): none of this is important if it doesn't bother you. Don't take it personally. It's not you who has flashlighting- it's your television.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #90 of 16274 Old 03-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i will let u now this when u are watching a 3D movie it really does not just matter on the tv and its 3D look's it matter's on HOW the disc was made ,the 3D on transformers 3 LOOKS fantastic for what is was U just need to calibrate your tv ,now i am alittle confuesed.did u get the ES8000 OR D7000 ,the d7000 is really cool 3D but yes there is some xtalk,but that really matters on HOW THE BLURAY WAS MADE .hope this helps good luck.

I dont own either. I work retail and sell these products. I sometimes forget to mention that. I like LEDs, i think their great for dynamic environments, but im a plasma guy at heart.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page