Forum Jump: 

post #10171 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

They should be able to place it anywhere you want then, which is great. I have the maintenance package too which I think is maybe $6/mo. Right now I'm getting $42 in discounts though so I figured what the heck. I've had them for over 8 years though and the longer you're with them, the easier it is to get discounts. It's all but impossible to get what they offer new subscribers, but there are other ways of going about it.

I HIGHLY recommend the maintenance deal for the $6/month with DirecTV. I have used it many times. They are pretty responsive to service requests, with the one downside being that if you have an issue with a box, they ship you a new one (along with a return box for your old one). So if your box goes bad, you are waiting a couple days to get the new box, whereas with cable, you can just go down the road and pick up a replacement.

Anyway, use your leverage now as a new customer to get what you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10172 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
FYI - I do not believe "Dish" has any 3D channels. My sister bought a Sammy set (55") and couldn't find any 3D content like Directv has. They might have VOD 3D - but if so, it's an arm and a leg, cost wise (even on Directv) and I'll only watch it with a free coupon.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #10173 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

Seeing TV without commercials rocks. We're watching season 1 of Lost and you can watch 3 hour episodes in 90 minutes.

I just noticed your signature and you're 98% Apple, but no iPhone some weird device at the end of that line for some product I don't understand why is in your signature. Boo.
Quote:
Samsung ES8000 65", Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone.
WTH?
post #10174 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 PM

It was completely covered under warranty...no questions asked. It was done in home, quite quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirope View Post

Thanks,

Was it covered under warranty, if not how much was it?

It was completely covered under warranty, no questions asked.
Yours will be too...no worries.
I still love my TV.

Samsung UN55ES7500, Oppo BDP-93, PS3, Pioneer VSX1326, Totem Mite (Front L/R), B&W LCR3(Center), Monitor Audio Radius 90 (Rear), Energy S-10.3 Sub.
post #10175 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Why are you always mean to me Wing? frown.gif haha

I'm just that way.
Grumpy, mean and......well........mean.
Well....I guess mean and confused.
I can't for the life of me figure out how to find smilies to post in here.

Samsung UN55ES7500, Oppo BDP-93, PS3, Pioneer VSX1326, Totem Mite (Front L/R), B&W LCR3(Center), Monitor Audio Radius 90 (Rear), Energy S-10.3 Sub.
post #10176 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 12:59 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord View Post

I just noticed your signature and you're 98% Apple, but no iPhone some weird device at the end of that line for some product I don't understand why is in your signature. Boo.
WTH?
I got the Samsung Galaxy Nexus over the iPhone (wife) because of the bigger screen. What's funny is now that we've had them a year we are almost ready to trade. I wasn't always an Apple Fanboy though. In fact my first music player was the old Dell DJ.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #10177 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 12:59 PM

So the NOMAD is a device I sync my shows/movies that have been recorded to the DVR to it, when at home on the network...but then I can go on vacation/business trip/mother in laws house etc, and watch them from my iPad/iPhone talking directly to it, without an internet connection, just need the App on the iOS device and it will find the NOMAD and let me watch those shows, is that my understanding?

No wait, the NOMAD device stays home on the network, all the time, then it syncs the DVR shows to the iPhone/iPad via the app, so they actually are downloaded on my devices? Then I can add/remove them as needed? Are they HD or SD or either or/both? How much space are we talking?
post #10178 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

I got the Samsung Galaxy Nexus over the iPhone (wife) because of the bigger screen. What's funny is now that we've had them a year we are almost ready to trade. I wasn't always an Apple Fanboy though. In fact my first music player was the old Dell DJ.

Time to trade...or get you an iPhone 5. That big screen is not worth it. Apple does it right. Get one and be happy to be a fan boy. Apple just does it all right.
post #10179 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

No one does it perfectly yet I guess. I do know what you mean though and we talked about it long ago on The Avengers. Background, specifically backgrounds that are blurred, can often look odd and hazy and mess with your eyes quite a bit.

Lucky number 7, I'd hate to see how bad number 13 would have been.

Can anyone with a 60ES8000 and has watched Kung Fu Panda 2 3D confirm that many parts of this movie is just one big blurry out of focus mess especially backgrounds inside buildings such as the beginning when Po is stuffing his face.

Just want to make sure that this is how the 60 is 3D wise and that I either don't have something set wrong or another possible issue. I just watched this on the 65ES8000 and none of this blurry out of focus backgrounds happened on the 65. Also, I thought I had the crosstalk issue resolved, but also notice some crosstalk in this movie as well, especially outdoor scenery and building shots.
post #10180 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Can anyone with a 60ES8000 and has watched Kung Fu Panda 2 3D confirm that many parts of this movie is just one big blurry out of focus mess especially backgrounds inside buildings such as the beginning when Po is stuffing his face.

Just want to make sure that this is how the 60 is 3D wise and that I either don't have something set wrong or another possible issue. I just watched this on the 65ES8000 and none of this blurry out of focus backgrounds happened on the 65. Also, I thought I had the crosstalk issue resolved, but also notice some crosstalk in this movie as well, especially outdoor scenery and building shots.

Since you brought it up, what is "Crosstalk", how do I determine if I have it...is it in the TV or the BluRay movie or player etc?
post #10181 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:

So the NOMAD is a device I sync my shows/movies that have been recorded to the DVR to it, when at home on the network...but then I can go on vacation/business trip/mother in laws house etc, and watch them from my iPad/iPhone talking directly to it, without an internet connection, just need the App on the iOS device and it will find the NOMAD and let me watch those shows, is that my understanding?

No wait, the NOMAD device stays home on the network, all the time, then it syncs the DVR shows to the iPhone/iPad via the app, so they actually are downloaded on my devices? Then I can add/remove them as needed? Are they HD or SD or either or/both? How much space are we talking?

You're second paragraph is correct and I believe they are SD for portability but I could be wrong. I'm going to get one soon.
post #10182 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Time to trade...or get you an iPhone 5. That big screen is not worth it. Apple does it right. Get one and be happy to be a fan boy. Apple just does it all right.

Well I always say to each their own so I do understand why a lot of people like the larger screen and other things about Android, but I definitely prefer navigating a phone with one hand.
post #10183 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, man - I don't have that one. Do you know someone else with a 3D TV to take your disc too?
Quote:

Since you brought it up, what is "Crosstalk", how do I determine if I have it...is it in the TV or the BluRay movie or player etc?

Hmmm, I don't know if it can also be caused in the actual BD transfer, but usually it's a TV thing. None are perfect, but to simplify it, think of a double image - seeing the left and right eye at the same time so to speak, rather than as one perfect image.

As for blurry backgrounds, I just don't think that style of filming lends itself well to 3D. It doesn't look as good on a TV as in a theater but even in a theater I find myself treating 3D as real life, where I want things to be in focus that I'm looking at, but then I look at a background that was filmed out of focus and my eyes want to focus but can't and it makes my head hurt.
post #10184 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, man - I don't have that one. Do you know someone else with a 3D TV to take your disc too?
Hmmm, I don't know if it can also be caused in the actual BD transfer, but usually it's a TV thing. None are perfect, but to simplify it, think of a double image - seeing the left and right eye at the same time so to speak, rather than as one perfect image.

As for blurry backgrounds, I just don't think that style of filming lends itself well to 3D. It doesn't look as good on a TV as in a theater but even in a theater I find myself treating 3D as real life, where I want things to be in focus that I'm looking at, but then I look at a background that was filmed out of focus and my eyes want to focus but can't and it makes my head hurt.

I do, but I just watched this last week on the 65 and it was crystal clear, so wondering if my original thought of the 60 is just not that good at 3D may be correct, or if there is a problem with either tv, glasses or bluray player.
post #10185 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 02:12 PM

Liked: 15
Everything on my 65" looks as it should. 3D is flawless. No crosstalk that I can detect.
post #10186 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Lots to catch up on so I'll be short. ...3d on my 8000 has been perfect, best 3d I have ever seen in a store or a home as well as almost every theater.....re provider: I love my FIOS...

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #10187 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Fios, I would heavily consider moving over to for the all around package but it's not in my area.
post #10188 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

G, I am due to call FIOS and threaten to leave ....just to restructure pricing...but I am settled. I can always use more HD storage but with DVR, on demand, Netflix disc dental and Vudu....i need to quit my job to take advantage of the resources....

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #10189 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

Lots to catch up on so I'll be short. ...3d on my 8000 has been perfect, best 3d I have ever seen in a store or a home as well as almost every theater.....re provider: I love my FIOS...

So I guess I was a little premature to think I finally got a keeper. I'll double check using the ps 3, but if the backgrounds on Kung fu panda 2 are crosstalked/fuzzy as well on it, guess the 60es8000 is going back yet again unless someone knows what may be going on with the 3d errors being displayed.
post #10190 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
My quick thought on the DirecTV discussion:

DirecTV is way better than Dish Network in every way, so don't worry about that. And I used to like Dish Network before moving to DirecTV.

I personally would not go the RVU route though. Even though it sounds really cool, it does have it's limitations. You cannot watch 3D over RVU, so you would not be able to watch any DirecTV 3D channels on the Samsung. I don't think the Smart Hub works with RVU either. Those are deal breakers for me as far as RVU goes. You can still do the whole home thing where you can access the DVR from any other TV in the house. They were doing this before the new Genie box came out, which is how my house is set up. I've got one DVR, but can access it from any TV in my house. Works perfect. And my "Whole Home" setup is done over WiFi. The Genie RVU feature has to be done hardwired and cannot be done over WiFi.

At least that's what I read when I looked into it not long ago. Unless they've changed those things I wouldn't even worry about RVU. Just go the normal "Whole Home" route and you'll be set.
post #10191 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Not to digress from cable providers thread but...i turned on eco sensor , set backlight at 8 and have virtually no flashlight....so so minimal that I seriously cannot believe it....even in a totally dark room.

post #10192 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

DirecTV is way better than Dish Network in every way, so don't worry about that. And I used to like Dish Network before moving to DirecTV.

I personally would not go the RVU route though. Even though it sounds really cool, it does have it's limitations. You cannot watch 3D over RVU, so you would not be able to watch any DirecTV 3D channels on the Samsung. I don't think the Smart Hub works with RVU either. Those are deal breakers for me as far as RVU goes. You can still do the whole home thing where you can access the DVR from any other TV in the house. They were doing this before the new Genie box came out, which is how my house is set up. I've got one DVR, but can access it from any TV in my house. Works perfect. And my "Whole Home" setup is done over WiFi. The Genie RVU feature has to be done hardwired and cannot be done over WiFi.

At least that's what I read when I looked into it not long ago. Unless they've changed those things I wouldn't even worry about RVU. Just go the normal "Whole Home" route and you'll be set.

OH YEAH! Great point I forgot. Use RVU and you won't have 3D. No worries, just do it the other way. I'm pretty sure you would still have the smart hub though. RVU is just seen as an input.
post #10193 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not to digress from cable providers thread but...i turned on eco sensor , set backlight at 8 and have virtually no flashlight....so so minimal that I seriously cannot believe it....even in a totally dark room.

Why are you posting Samsung info in our DirecTV thread?? smile.gif

Blade, is this new news like with an update or were you not using eco before, or like me was your eco sensor simply not working for a few weeks?
post #10194 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

What is the minimum backlight setting set to in the Eco menu? Or is that where you set it to 8? If so, what is your normal backlight setting set to?
post #10195 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

I forgot about that one. Keep thinking it is a download file since the actual 4K version is a download, but I think you are right because it is available on bluray also.

Samsara is absolutely stunning. One of the few movies that I actually turned all of the "soap opera" processors back on for and it was literally like being there in person. I'll try to upload some screen shots later. For those not familiar with Samsara, it is from the same person who created the films Baraka and the IMAX film Chronos.
Cool, I'm now tempted to pick up a copy of Samsara. It has good reviews. BTW, have you seen this thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450362/muddying-the-waters-mastered-in-4k-blu-ray-discs
post #10196 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Maybe I shouldn't ask this here...but I'm going to since we have a good conversation going about DirecTV...

But...

How does Dish Network compare to DirecTV with PQ, HD channels, the DVR etc...I saw it won some best award at CES but then their mother company CBS wanted the award pulled due to the Hopper service that skips commercials...hummm...

DirecTV looks cooler, as in the menus etc, but I haven't researched Dish very deep. Do I need to?

Just to play Devil's Advocate a bit here...I have both Dish and Directv. Dish at home, and in my work RV where I spend a LOT of my time I have Directv and set up/point my own satellite on each location. I have to say that after having both, Dish is just better since the new Hopper has been released

I've got the latest equipment on both and the Hopper is the best thing ever, like literally. And in 3 separate locations in the house we have the "Joey's" which are just small unobtrusive boxes w/HDMI outputs that plug in via Coax cable to connect everything. Prime Time Anytime is amazing and the auto-hop feature is very handy. The Hopper is more responsive and just has a better interface in my opinion than anything Directv offers

So in short, I love both. But you can tell which I love more. Directv does offer 3D sports and a few channels but nothing amazing really as far as 3D goes. Dish has on demand 3D. And Dish will save you a few bucks in the long run, while Directv will give you the world under the condition that your normal bill will go up $40 the 2nd year (correct me if I'm wrong here). Directv has NFL Sunday Ticket but I think I heard that Dish is going to be offering it too soon

post #10197 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Garnoch, exactly ...i was not using it until 2 days ago. I am surprised that with min backlight at 8, I get the pop I want without the flashlight...boo yah

post #10198 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

Well thats a BIG deal killer for me, sorry RVU, no can do that...I want those 3D Channels on this nice Sammy. Garnoch, how dare you lead me down that dark path! Shame! mad.gif (JK)
post #10199 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

Just to play Devil's Advocate a bit here...I have both Dish and Directv. Dish at home, and in my work RV where I spend a LOT of my time I have Directv and set up/point my own satellite on each location. I have to say that after having both, Dish is just better since the new Hopper has been released

I've got the latest equipment on both and the Hopper is the best thing ever, like literally. And in 3 separate locations in the house we have the "Joey's" which are just small unobtrusive boxes w/HDMI outputs that plug in via Coax cable to connect everything. Prime Time Anytime is amazing and the auto-hop feature is very handy. The Hopper is more responsive and just has a better interface in my opinion than anything Directv offers

So in short, I love both. But you can tell which I love more. Directv does offer 3D sports and a few channels but nothing amazing really as far as 3D goes. Dish has on demand 3D. And Dish will save you a few bucks in the long run, while Directv will give you the world under the condition that your normal bill will go up $40 the 2nd year (correct me if I'm wrong here). Directv has NFL Sunday Ticket but I think I heard that Dish is going to be offering it too soon

Well I need to see and play with both now...Dish and DirecTV, and both of my attempts to go to a retail store to see it failed, apparently they've pulled their presence from Best Buy and Sams. So I need to visit a local satellite retailer and see both in person, I guess. I can't make an informed decision based on peoples posts on this site, I have to see and play and touch it all...jeez. biggrin.gif
post #10200 of 16215 Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

Yeah this is why I was saying Dish would now be a viable option for me - they finally have nice stuff. The Prime Time Anytime where it records all primetime broadcast TV along with auto-hop is great. I would say that is up against 3D and the possibility of Sunday Ticket in DirecTV. DirecTV has the Nomad, but Dish will this year. DirecTV has RVU but like it was stated, it won't play 3D (Sorry, Chris haha). Dish owns Slingbox so it's integrated nicely if you get it, although you can get Slingbox for anything including DirecTV. The Hopper/Joey setup is great but that is what DirecTV has with the Genie so that's a wash. I like DirecTV's menus and navigation more but the new Dish is definitely very nice. Quality looks to be the same to me.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page