Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 358 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10711 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

Does anyone know if the US firmware is the same as the UK firmware?(2014.1). The avs forum in the uk says it made a difference to picture quality but I didn't know if the US was ahead a version. Hope that makes sense. I'm have a Spanish version but took a UK firmware version a while back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10712 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 08:40 AM

Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmitchelluk View Post

Hi

Does anyone know if the US firmware is the same as the UK firmware?(2014.1). The avs forum in the uk says it made a difference to picture quality but I didn't know if the US was ahead a version. Hope that makes sense. I'm have a Spanish version but took a UK firmware version a while back

From what I heard, the UK is ahead. There was a time a while back where we were ahead of them, but not at this time. There were a couple of members on here from the UK that have said that the updates improved the picture to the point where they don't have to keep changing settings around anymore.
post #10713 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

I'm encouraged by the positive reviews I read about the latest FW. Tempted....but then I remember I am satisfied and wanting nothing dramatically different in pic quality. Yep, still on FW 1013...you guys must think I have cataracts and glaucoma based on my disinterest in updating??? wink.gif...if it ain't broke, do I really need to fix it?

Why don't more of you stream via bluray players as opposed to the 8000. I think it's too much task to put so much lifting on the tv.

I can totally understand your position - - but here it goes....

Since the update, I no longer have movie credits dimming on me. I can see darker movies with details and shadows. The colors are incredibly brilliant, vibrant and the blacks are the inkiest blacks I've every seen on this set.

Now I know folks say that you really can't tell, for sure, unless it's calibrated or you have instrumentation that can confirm the findings. And I personally believe that if you have a lot of tinkering on the settings (like I had in the past) you might not get the same affect.

For what it's worth - - and in the "Standard" mode - - I have gone back to "Auto" and "Standard" on my color scheme. No other processing - - no dynamic contrast - - no special processing. And I couldn't be happier.

For the first time, in a long time after discovering "Movie" settings that didn't crush blacks scenes on my Sony BDP-S790 player - - I am playing Bluray movies in "Standard" mode. It looks fantastic!

I'm not trying to be a fanboy - - I've had other firmware updates that looked like crap on my set and I posted about it. Samsung should know the most about their technology and how to get the absolute best picture out of each model. To each his own (and I do understand the reticence on updates) but it's kind of like having the trust to buy the car from the dealer but never letting him fix or repair the car. (Maybe not the best of analogies - - but you get where I'm going).

So - - these are my impressions on update 1046. Respectfully submitted, Douglas C. Niedermeyer, this 26th day of January, 2013 smile.gif

Now everyone in this forum drop and give me forty....
Browninggold likes this.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #10714 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 09:06 AM

Liked: 17
Switching subjects for a minute:

Does anyone know how to use the DLNA or WiFi settings to allow a wireless device to stream to the TV? I thought there was a way to do this.

What I am trying to accomplish:

1) I have a Sony NEX camera that has built-in WiFi. You are supposed to be able to send the pictures for viewing on the TV wirelessly.
2) I'd like to access the setting on the TV to allow me to do this. Can't find it.

Any help? Thanks.
post #10715 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

I'm pretty hesitant that even with a factory reset the same settings will have different results.... that doesn't make any sense.

If with every update I need to factory reset my TV to take full advantage of the update then that's a fail.

I agree completely. Personally, I feel the "factory reset after every update" is unnecessary. Unfortunately, because image quality is so subjective, and because Samsung does an extremely poor job of communicating with their customer base, we are left to guess at what each update supposedly does. That means it's wildly speculative what has been changed or improved. Some see better color, some don't. Some see better blacks, some don't. Some see less CE dimming, some don't. To make it more unscientific, everybody uses different settings, and different people notice different things with different sources. Personally, I can't see how doing a factory reset will make any difference, but that's just my opinion. I haven't been noticing any difference in picture quality with these updates. I did a factory reset once, after an update, and noticed no difference. Also once one of their updates automatically did a factory reset without warning us, and we all had to put our settings back in. Since then, I no longer bother with the factory reset because it's a ton of extra work putting all my settings back in for every input and every mode, and I just don't see any reason for it personally.
post #10716 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Your just wasting your time with them.. They will never know about this and even if they did, I wouldn't trust anything that they say. I saw recently that on Cnet forums Samsung responds to consumers questions. I wonder if that would be a good place to go to for this info.

Absolutely agree here. The Samsung techs are less than useless, and they are trained to lie and play dumb through their entire correspondence with the customers. You never know if they're lying or just playing dumb, or both. Sadly I've learned this the hard way as many have - talking to Samsung is just a complete waste of time. They'll say anything to get you off the phone or chat session.
post #10717 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Absolutely agree here. The Samsung techs are less than useless, and they are trained to lie and play dumb through their entire correspondence with the customers. You never know if they're lying or just playing dumb, or both. Sadly I've learned this the hard way as many have - talking to Samsung is just a complete waste of time. They'll say anything to get you off the phone or chat session.

Samsung Phone Tech: I am sorry to hear about your problem. We haven't heard about that before. Have you tried the "Dynamic" setting? cool.gif

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #10718 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree completely. Personally, I feel the "factory reset after every update" is unnecessary. Unfortunately, because image quality is so subjective, and because Samsung does an extremely poor job of communicating with their customer base, we are left to guess at what each update supposedly does. That means it's wildly speculative what has been changed or improved. Some see better color, some don't. Some see better blacks, some don't. Some see less CE dimming, some don't. To make it more unscientific, everybody uses different settings, and different people notice different things with different sources. Personally, I can't see how doing a factory reset will make any difference, but that's just my opinion. I haven't been noticing any difference in picture quality with these updates. I did a factory reset once, after an update, and noticed no difference. Also once one of their updates automatically did a factory reset without warning us, and we all had to put our settings back in. Since then, I no longer bother with the factory reset because it's a ton of extra work putting all my settings back in for every input and every mode, and I just don't see any reason for it personally.

Agreed. I did it before when it seemed like a firmware update didn't take or made things worse. But I haven't performed a "full reset" for the past couple of firmware updates. It still nice to know that the feature is there - - in case you had to start from scratch or clear everything out.

One benefit when I was doing the "full monty," I mean, "full reset" before - - I got so good and proficient at knowing my settings that it took about two minutes to get everything loaded again!

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #10719 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sony1717 View Post

Does anyone know how to use the DLNA or WiFi settings to allow a wireless device to stream to the TV? I thought there was a way to do this.

1) I have a Sony NEX camera that has built-in WiFi. You are supposed to be able to send the pictures for viewing on the TV wirelessly.
2) I'd like to access the setting on the TV to allow me to do this. Can't find it.

Any help? Thanks.

Do you know how the camera is sharing the pics? If it's sharing by acting as a DLNA server, then all you should have to do is put the camera in DLNA mode and then hit the "Source" button on the TV remote. You should see the camera as a source. Select it and off you go.
post #10720 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SmartHub Evolution Kit:

As I sit here trying to figure out whether or not to return my 3rd UN65ES8000 (this one with vertical banding), I came across this that some of you may find interesting (apologies if it has already been posted).

Video shows the install of the Evolution Kit.

NOTE: the engineer running the demo says that it can run wireless or run wired ethernet. As he is saying this he is handling the cable that clearly goes between the Evolution Kit and the TV - but not into the ethernet port, but the HDMI port. So, weirdly from this video it seems that perhaps the Evolution Kit does take up a HDMI input after all (I know this was a subject of some debate). Makes sense...you don't need two CPU/GPU units running on the TV, so I would assume that when you plug the Evolution Kit in it is for the purposes of having the remote control the functions on the Evolution Kit, it disables the CPU/GPU inside the TV itself, then the output from the Evolution Kit for SmartHub goes HDMI to the TV...just speculation of course...

"Want to see how easy it is to upgrade your select 2012 Smart TV with the latest features of the 2013 models?"

WATCH this video to see how: http://smsn.us/6034VS1O

Now, to play panel lottery again or not...

The latest features, minus the cinema black feature or whatever they're calling it this year that turns off the backlight for letterbox bars. That's one of the big reasons I would consider buying the Evo kit and from what I understand it won't enable this feature since that's hardware.
post #10721 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I did the full reset and dl the 1046 fw last night. Then I redid my Standard settings to Gornach's. Are we doing that, all the white balance and colors settings the same as before, or are we leaving things factory and just doing Contrast and Brightness and BL variations?

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #10722 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's Samsungs press release for this Evo kit. It says no where anything about "improved picture quality" like they promised last year in that YouTube video. Guess they will do anything and say anything to get people to buy into their false marketing.

http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/news/newsIrRead.do?news_ctgry=irnewsrelease&news_seq=20329

Aren't we used to it by now? Samsung thinks lying to their customers is the best way to treat their customers I guess. They're not concerned with repeat customers - they just want a quick sale, with no thought of what their customers will think of them later down the road.

One of the big things that swayed me to the ES7500 and not a lesser model was the promise of future-proofing later with the Evo kit. It was also the promise of the benefits of micro-dimming.
post #10723 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The latest features, minus the cinema black feature or whatever they're calling it this year that turns off the backlight for letterbox bars. That's one of the big reasons I would consider buying the Evo kit and from what I understand it won't enable this feature since that's hardware.

From what I've heard, the new dimming in the new TVs is software and not hardware. If that is indeed the case, then they possibly could add it to our TVs through the Evo Kit. Even if it is possible, I highly doubt they will do that. We'll all find out when this thing is finally released.
post #10724 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

I did the full reset and dl the 1046 fw last night. Then I redid my Standard settings to Gornach's. Are we doing that, all the white balance and colors settings the same as before, or are we leaving things factory and just doing Contrast and Brightness and BL variations?

For myself - - I am back to all default on my 65" set after months of tweaking with various folks settings. So if you have "custom" color settings and have adjusted "Gamma," "10p White Balance," and other changes (outside of "Brightness," "Contrast" etc. - so to speak) - - I am not sure that firmware update 1046 is necessarily an "apples to apples" comparison for your TV.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #10725 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think the new FW update did something to the color because my TV now has a greenish tint when using my old white balance settings. I'm probably going to put that back to normal until I get a meter and can set it properly. Until then I'll set the contrast, brightness and my backlight. I'l also use the color bar pattern to set my color and tint. That's about all that can be done without a meter.
post #10726 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Having played around a bit I am now using standard mode instead of movie.
Backlight 15 (Eco sensor 4)
Contrast 98
Brightness 44
Sharpness 0
Color 48
Color tone warm2
Amp clear

Everything else off and default color space and white balance.

I caught the newest muppets movie on tv today and the colors are the best I have had this set looking since I bought it.
post #10727 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

I think the new FW update did something to the color because my TV now has a greenish tint when using my old white balance settings. I'm probably going to put that back to normal until I get a meter and can set it properly. Until then I'll set the contrast, brightness and my backlight. I'l also use the color bar pattern to set my color and tint. That's about all that can be done without a meter.
i noticed that in movie mode skin tones had a greenish hue so I ditched it for standard which looks fantastic now.
post #10728 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

Thanks for the links Anthony. I enjoy reading a lot of the articles about the Evolution Kit you post. Although I am about sick of all the cynacism and whining I read about in these articles. The first article disputes how future proof the kit is and even basically says that all 1080p HDTV's are outdated. That's laughable. Yeah 4K is starting to come around, but it's going to be awhile before it can ever be considered mainstream and not cutting edge, and is able to be broadcast and streamed nationally. And it will be even longer before 1080p ever becomes outdated

The writer is so concerned about things not being future proofed - his skepticism is evident, yet he says he's looking forward to buying his next Samsung smartphone. Well if anything smartphones today become obsolete faster than any other tech on the market. Say a person upgrades their phone every 2 years when they renew their contract. Well by that time their old phone is obsolete...for example before my current Android phone I was using a Palm

Samsung doesn't have to do this. Of course they want your money, so that's (a huge) part of it. But many will buy it just because it's another thing to buy; i.e. the latest and greatest

Anthony did you "have" to buy 5 Samsung Tv's for your house and their $100 keyboard which you said was less useful than a smartphone app - and are they making you look into getting a F8000? No. Did I "have" to own 3 new Samsung's in the last 3 years - No. My point is that we want the latest and the greatest and the best. We will pay for it and Samsung knows that. We are forever the addicts and they are the enablers

We all want everything to be cutting edge all the time, even though that's kind of an oxymoron. If we gripe about anything it shouldn't be the Evo Kit or their innovation on the smart hub, we should be complaining about their lack of innovation in the picture quality department for their flagship LED's. As far as picture quality what have they tangibly done in the last few years? Took away edge lit local dimming and added it back? Took away a few features and added them back? Stuck a camera on top of the tv? Changed the stand a few times....

If anyone should be able to gripe about the new Kit it should be Joe Broke from Brooklyn who can't afford it. Not those of us who can buy it or not buy it if we want. Or those who can just go out and get a new flagship set. Just look at it as you would the Samsung Keyboard or whatever peripheral they release - that's what the Kit is. Just another peripheral you can choose to get or not get. We don't know the price yet, we don't know for sure what it will do if anything for the picture quality. Until then, let's just give this thing a chance. That's all I'm saying

I know what you're getting at, but not all of us owners here have the money to have the latest and greatest every year. Most Samsung owners are actually just regular people who walk into Best Buy, see 30 different Samsung models, and end up just picking one while looking at the demos in the store. I have no money, and no desire, to rush out and get the latest and greatest every year. I'm just a tv owner who wants a nice picture. I think most tv owners fall into that category - just a normal tv owner who wants a nice tv to last for a few years at least. It's going to be a long time before I buy another tv. I might consider the Evo kit if it actually delivered real picture and feature improvements worth paying for, but that's starting to look less and less likely the more we learn about it.

I agree entirely that 4k is a long long way away for most consumers. How will cable companies handle the bandwidth? Cable looks bad enough now with the macroblocking and compression. And how will our DVDs look on a 4k set? Yuck! In fact, how will our blu-rays look? Like DVDs do now on a 1080p set? And how much money do they think people can spend on a tv? I'm with you 100% - 1080p isn't going anywhere for a long time.
post #10729 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From what I've heard, the new dimming in the new TVs is software and not hardware. If that is indeed the case, then they possibly could add it to our TVs through the Evo Kit. Even if it is possible, I highly doubt they will do that. We'll all find out when this thing is finally released.

I was wondering why they couldn't just do it in software. Well, if that's the case, and they don't include that feature in the Evo kit, even though they could, than that's a major kick in the head for all of us who were expecting good things from this Evo kit. I'm not interested in the Evo kit to get fancier menu icons and more useless apps, I want the menu settings and image features that the new sets are going to have. That's what we should be getting in this Evo kit.

They're also out of their minds if they think they're going to charge $500 (or $499) like one of the linked articles above said according to a source. Who's actually going to pay that much for enhanced voice and motion control and a fancy apps menu? Outrageous if that's their plan.
post #10730 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was wondering why they couldn't just do it in software. Well, if that's the case, and they don't include that feature in the Evo kit, even though they could, than that's a major kick in the head for all of us who were expecting good things from this Evo kit. I'm not interested in the Evo kit to get fancier menu icons and more useless apps, I want the menu settings and image features that the new sets are going to have. That's what we should be getting in this Evo kit.

They're also out of their minds if they think they're going to charge $500 (or $499) like one of the linked articles above said according to a source. Who's actually going to pay that much for enhanced voice and motion control and a fancy apps menu? Outrageous if that's their plan.

There's so many different "sources" saying different things. We've heard from different "sources" the price for the kit will be either $150, $200, $300 and $500. That just goes to show that no one knows what it's going to cost yet. The same way the price is all over the place, so are the features. The fact of the matter is that we simply don't know yet what it's going to cost or what it's going to do. The only thing we can do is quit guessing and getting worked up about it until we find out for sure. At least that's when I'll decide whether it's useless and overpriced or not and whether I'm going to get it.
post #10731 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

I'm encouraged by the positive reviews I read about the latest FW. Tempted....but then I remember I am satisfied and wanting nothing dramatically different in pic quality. Yep, still on FW 1013...you guys must think I have cataracts and glaucoma based on my disinterest in updating??? wink.gif...if it ain't broke, do I really need to fix it?

Why don't more of you stream via bluray players as opposed to the 8000. I think it's too much task to put so much lifting on the tv.

Out of curiosity, I just tried streaming movies on the bluray player, Samsung HT-E4550, which came in free with the TV set. Using the player's Allshare play, I tried streaming MKVs from my NAS, unfortunately the bluray player says it doesn't support those files. So I checked if there's a new firmware and there isn't.

The 8000 doesn't have any problems playing my movies on AllShareplay.
post #10732 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Here's a guess on how the EVO kit might work based on what I heard on the video. When the TV is connected to the internet via the lan port, the wire is required to go from the hdmi port to the EVO kit. If your TV is connected wireless it was implied that the cable is not required. So.........I think when using the wired Lan port, the cable uses the ethernet hdmi special function built into the port and wired into the cable to send the connection to the EVO device. When on the wireless connection, the EVO kit can access it directly via the connector it plugs into... Just a guesss for now though. Well I own a 7100 but always trying to learn as much as I can so I thought I'de just share. I really wish I did have this option though! rolleyes.gif
post #10733 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Any help? Thanks.

If you can connect your camera's wifi though your router you should be able to find it on Allshare (smarthub) or just by pressing source on the tv remote.
post #10734 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

Having played around a bit I am now using standard mode instead of movie.
Backlight 15 (Eco sensor 4)
Contrast 98
Brightness 44
Sharpness 0
Color 48
Color tone warm2
Amp clear

Everything else off and default color space and white balance.

I caught the newest muppets movie on tv today and the colors are the best I have had this set looking since I bought it.

++1
I completely agree with you! This is why I mentioned that my 74 y.o grandmother asked me if I did anything to the TV. I said no just to see what she would say, and she said it looked brighter and more colorful. Her exact words...

Also, I always used movie mode ever since I bought the TVs. Standard just didn't look right. Now, when i switch to movie mode from standard, it has a green tint and doesn't look as good as standard does..I, glad others are seeing what Rico and I see. smile.gif
post #10735 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:

I know what you're getting at, but not all of us owners here have the money to have the latest and greatest every year. Most Samsung owners are actually just regular people who walk into Best Buy, see 30 different Samsung models, and end up just picking one while looking at the demos in the store. I have no money, and no desire, to rush out and get the latest and greatest every year. I'm just a tv owner who wants a nice picture. I think most tv owners fall into that category - just a normal tv owner who wants a nice tv to last for a few years at least. It's going to be a long time before I buy another tv. I might consider the Evo kit if it actually delivered real picture and feature improvements worth paying for, but that's starting to look less and less likely the more we learn about it.

I agree entirely that 4k is a long long way away for most consumers. How will cable companies handle the bandwidth? Cable looks bad enough now with the macroblocking and compression. And how will our DVDs look on a 4k set? Yuck! In fact, how will our blu-rays look? Like DVDs do now on a 1080p set? And how much money do they think people can spend on a tv? I'm with you 100% - 1080p isn't going anywhere for a long time.

I like this response E2.
post #10736 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

Here's a guess on how the EVO kit might work based on what I heard on the video. When the TV is connected to the internet via the lan port, the wire is required to go from the hdmi port to the EVO kit. If your TV is connected wireless it was implied that the cable is not required. So.........I think when using the wired Lan port, the cable uses the ethernet hdmi special function built into the port and wired into the cable to send the connection to the EVO device. When on the wireless connection, the EVO kit can access it directly via the connector it plugs into... Just a guesss for now though. Well I own a 7100 but always trying to learn as much as I can so I thought I'de just share. I really wish I did have this option though! rolleyes.gif

I was thinking the same thing last night. I never new what it meant to have Ethernet inside your high speed HDMI cable, or what its for. maybe its for something like this?
post #10737 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sympathetik View Post

If you can connect your camera's wifi though your router you should be able to find it on Allshare (smarthub) or just by pressing source on the tv remote.

there's also the "Wifi Direct" and Soft AP feature on our set for this I think. When I use my Samsung camera that has Wifi, I use the "Allshare" app on our set in the smart hub like you just said and it works

I also want to make a comment about the Evo kit. If This Evo kit does in fact add the "Cinema Black" and some other way to improve the picture and the cost is $500, I would definitely buy it, because then to me that would be like getting a new TV and I wouldn't have to buy the new F series this year.
post #10738 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing last night. I never new what it meant to have Ethernet inside your high speed HDMI cable, or what its for. maybe its for something like this?

I think the obvious is being overlooked here.

1. In all these videos there's only one thing connected to the TV and that's the single HDMI cable. The TV is getting video somehow in these videos, so where's it coming from? It's coming from the HDMI cable since that's the only thing connected. So, that HDMI cable must be plugged into a blu-ray player or possible a computer which is showing the demo video that they're playing there.

2. Once the Evo Kit is connected, they plug in some cable and explain that it's for internet connection for people that connect over ethernet. Ok, great. What are they connecting that to? They must be connecting it to a router somewhere which is how they're getting internet connection.

There are some major issues here if you're correct in thinking that the lone HDMI cable connected to the TV is going to the Evo Kit box:

1. If the HDMI cable connected to the TV is indeed connected to the Evo Kit box, then where is the video source coming from that they're playing on the TV? It has to come from somewhere and since there is only an HDMI cabled connected to it, it must be coming from there, which means that the HDMI cable is not connected to the Evo Kit.

2. If the Evo Kit box is connected to the HDMI port on the TV, then were is it getting it's internet connection from? There's isn't an ethernet cable connected to the port on the TV, so it's not passing it from there to the Evo Kit box through HDMI. It must be getting it from an ethernet cabled that's connected to a router. This means that it's not connected to the HDMI cable.

To summarize- If the Evo Kit box was indeed connected to the TV through that lone HDMI cable, then there's no possible way that the TV could get any video source or internet. It's simply not possible.
post #10739 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:

I think the obvious is being overlooked here.

1. In all these videos there's only one thing connected to the TV and that's the single HDMI cable. The TV is getting video somehow in these videos, so where's it coming from? It's coming from the HDMI cable since that's the only thing connected. So, that HDMI cable must be plugged into a blu-ray player or possible a computer which is showing the demo video that they're playing there.

2. Once the Evo Kit is connected, they plug in some cable and explain that it's for internet connection for people that connect over ethernet. Ok, great. What are they connecting that to? They must be connecting it to a router somewhere which is how they're getting internet connection.

There are some major issues here if you're correct in thinking that the lone HDMI cable connected to the TV is going to the Evo Kit box:

1. If the HDMI cable connected to the TV is indeed connected to the Evo Kit box, then where is the video source coming from that they're playing on the TV? It has to come from somewhere and since there is only an HDMI cabled connected to it, it must be coming from there, which means that the HDMI cable is not connected to the Evo Kit.

2. If the Evo Kit box is connected to the HDMI port on the TV, then were is it getting it's internet connection from? There's isn't an ethernet cable connected to the port on the TV, so it's not passing it from there to the Evo Kit box through HDMI. It must be getting it from an ethernet cabled that's connected to a router. This means that it's not connected to the HDMI cable.

To summarize- If the Evo Kit box was indeed connected to the TV through that lone HDMI cable, then there's no possible way that the TV could get any video source or internet. It's simply not possible.

I agree with you Jestered! I heard the guy say so many times that we don't need a Ethernet if we use the wifi. I guess my last post should have been more or a question. What is the built in Ethernet in certain HDMI cables for? This is what I never knew. I have tons of HDMI cables that are version 1.4 and say they have Ethernet with 10.2 Gbps. What's this for? Does anyone know this?
post #10740 of 16222 Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 AM

My point is, we never had a use for the Ethernet capability in our HDMI cables that I'm aware of. But, with this kit, maybe we will be able to take advantage if that. Maybe the TV can act as the Router? Isn't that what are "SoftAP" feature is on our sets? I remember when I was at CES when they showed these 2012 models, I could have Sworn the guy said that this TV can be used as its own router

Here's a link I found that talks about Ethernet HDMI cables

http://avp.stackexchange.com/questions/2455/what-exactly-does-ethernet-capable-hdmi-cable-mean
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page