Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoD80k View Post

Rico,

Seems like everyone regardless of make/model have some sort of uniformity issue or degree of banding. Perhaps some just don't have as picky of an eye? Is it possible to achieve a panel without even slight banding? I see some guys returning tv's 3-5 times still having issues. That would really make my head hurt.

I guess everyone has a different set of eyes and tolerance when it comes to banding. You know what's funny? We have an older Samsung LCD in the house and now that I know what do look for, I could see very, very, slight banding on some of the golf shots. I mean, you really had to look for it, but it was there!

I don't know if there is a "perfect" panel out there in LCD/LED land. There are, however, many 60" and 55" folks on this forum that are very happy (even some 65" owners like me!) And that's the most important point - - you need to be happy with what you've purchased within your viewing tolerances.

I had to return two sets (first was D.O.A - crushed container and the 2nd had unforgivable "vertical banding.") But I'm happy now. Is it perfect? NO! But close enough. I still get the hockey banding and occasional golf banding but otherwise and for 95% of my viewing, it's drop dead gorgeous.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndeaverouX View Post

man, whos in charge of this thread anyway? we are definitely NOT talking bout the es8000 here anymore.... the subjects have gone on a tagent a long time ago.... tongue.gif

I think Holton0289 is in charge actually. smile.gif

Hey, I tried to find specific info on H.265 for you but in the limited time I've had, I haven't. I know it was in at least one video though but don't have time to search and watch them. Like I said much earlier though or maybe in your Evo thread, if it's in the kit, it's not a selling point to me. First you need content. When we get that content, we'll wind up having it also built into our Blu-rays and media players of choice.
post #10893 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

come on samsung, seriously? copy and paste word for word? so we really dont know what the main difference from FW 001041 vs FW 001046.... YOU SUCK... mad.gif

These are the same firmware notes from the last 4 or 5 updates. Don't hold your breath waiting for anything to change. I don't think it will happen...
post #10894 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

HDMI Black Level will be grayed out if the source is YCbCr color space. If it is not grayed out, the source is RGB color space. Normal is for RGB full range (0-255), and Low is for RGB limited range (16-235). One must know what range your source is outputting and set HDMI Black Level accordingly, or their ranges will be mismatched and their picture will not be correct, with clipped or washed out blacks. It is not a preference setting. One may set it to what they think looks right, but that won't make the choice correct. This setting must be matched to the source.

Film Mode is for setting the deinterlacing mode of the TV and will be grayed out when the source is progressive (e.g. 1080p, 720p).

Then why is mine greyed out from Apple TV?
post #10895 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

man, whos in charge of this thread anyway? we are definitely NOT talking bout the es8000 here anymore.... the subjects have gone on a tagent a long time ago.... tongue.gif

I agree, this thread has just turned into post after post of buyers remorse denial...
post #10896 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi does anybody have any advise on how to get rid of flashlighting I have dynamic mode with backlight at 20 and I love how bright it looks can someone help me out with the flashlighting does loosening the screws actually work?
post #10897 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Hello. I'm new to this thread. Forgive me if i'm barging in but i could use some educated perspective.

I have a 60" Panasonic GT50 plasma and a 55" Sony XBR HX950 sitting side by side in my living room right now. Panny plasma's picture leaves me somewhat disappointed but I love the size. Not as crisp and saturated as i'd like. XBR's picture is tremendous but really feels a bit small (65" is too much$$). I keep thinking the Samsung ES8000 LED may be perfect for me but every store I walk into i'm told the 8000 has a bunch of issues, or that the GT plasma beats it, or that it's nowhere near the picture of the Sony, or that there will always be some degree of soap opera effect i cannot eliminate, or that the level of screen uniformity, blooming, and DSE are worse than the Panasonic plasma or the XBR (which so far has zero issues). The DSE on light backgrounds such as hockey makes me cringe. I have also been told for the same price point to wait for the new Samsung that is so great it will solve world hunger without paying XBR and Elite prices. I thought it would be smart to ask you guys since you own them and have probably been through all of the pros/cons, problems and solutions. I'm between a rock and a hard place because i really would like to take advantage of 2012 model prices. I have been delaying this purchase since October of 2011. Can you guys give me your 2 cents and the cliff notes breakdown? Please. Thanks so much.

As someone who's actually owned (albeit briefly) all three of the TVs you mention, here's my Cliff's Notes perspective...

I agree with your assessment of the Panny PQ. I really liked the picture on the 950 (except for flesh tones being on the brownish side, the poor off-axis viewing angles, the crosstalk-heavy 3D, and no CMS). I also agree that the 55" screen is a bit too small.

I settled on the 60" ES8000. It's not perfect, but of the three brands I tried, it is far and away the best all around performer for my particular home viewing environment. As always YMMV.

All that said, at this point, if I were in your situation, I'd hold off for another couple of months and wait to check out the new Samsung F series, or the new models from Sony (still later this year). On paper, at least, they both seem to be offering considerably more bang for the buck than their 2012 counterparts.
post #10898 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

Then why is mine greyed out from Apple TV?

HDMI Black Level or Film Mode?

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #10899 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Well no harm no foul but just to correct you a bit - noone is in charge of any thread. The sooner you learn that the better. A thread starter is just that and only that. If this person did not start a ES8000 owner's thread someone else would have. If you did not start an Evo Kit thread someone else would have eventually I'm sure

Unless you mean who maintains the integrity of the thread, and that's up to us all. But there was at least one time in this lengthy thread that a mod stepped in to tell everyone to get back on topic (not counting interventions for other reasons) but that was awhile back. In the history of this long and lengthy thread we seem to have become more of an owner's guild of sorts where there's always something to talk about short of the weather even when there are no new revelations. I don't have a problem with that. Most of the regulars are friendly and helpful, especially to new owners

And to respond to the other poster - as far as generally happiness with the set, I'd have to say that most of the people here do not have general buyer's remorse. I know I'm happy with my purchase

post #10900 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansingh7326 View Post

Hi does anybody have any advise on how to get rid of flashlighting I have dynamic mode with backlight at 20 and I love how bright it looks can someone help me out with the flashlighting does loosening the screws actually work?

Some people say it does, but I can't confirm it. I doubt it will help in your situation though. Everyone is individual in their taste so I'm not telling you what to do but if you're seeing flashlighting as much as it sounds like you are, I assume you're in a dim room, and your settings are far from ideal for both proper color reproduction and for a dim room. If you can see the links in my signature under this post, check out the Guide. To give you an idea, I'm on either Standard or Movie mode with say and average daytime backlight of 14 and an average evening backlight of 5. Good luck and feel free to ask more.
post #10901 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Gosh - I sure hope Samsung has the "Deep Color" feature for us on the new EVO kit. Maybe they won't charge that much for it!

As always, thank you Otto Pylot for making sense of the bits and bytes and what it means to our PQ.

I wouldn't hold my breath. The ES8000 can probably handle Deep Color already, but it's source dependent and unless the blu-ray is properly encoded for Deep Color, you'll never use it or even see it. OTA/Cable/Sat television as well as streaming won't offer it either (bandwidth) so it's a nice feature to have but will probably never get used. All Deep Color can do right now is screw up the pq because the blu-ray player is trying to decode something that isn't there.
post #10902 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

Well no harm no foul but just to correct you a bit - noone is in charge of any thread. The sooner you learn that the better. A thread starter is just that and only that. If this person did not start a ES8000 owner's thread someone else would have. If you did not start an Evo Kit thread someone else would have eventually I'm sure

Unless you mean who maintains the integrity of the thread, and that's up to us all. But there was at least one time in this lengthy thread that a mod stepped in to tell everyone to get back on topic (not counting interventions for other reasons) but that was awhile back. In the history of this long and lengthy thread we seem to have become more of an owner's guild of sorts where there's always something to talk about short of the weather even when there are no new revelations. I don't have a problem with that. Most of the regulars are friendly and helpful, especially to new owners

And to respond to the other poster - as far as generally happiness with the set, I'd have to say that most of the people here do not have general buyer's remorse. I know I'm happy with my purchase

Thank you for your kind response. Again my apologies for any intrusion or taking you guys off topic. My thoughts were that this was the best place for educated assistance. While I haven't made my decision, I have tried to pay it forward by providing extensive real life feedback on the two sets i mentioned since i have them in house. I do believe it helped a couple of other gents make an informed decision. Thanks again.
gamermwm likes this.
post #10903 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post

As someone who's actually owned (albeit briefly) all three of the TVs you mention, here's my Cliff's Notes perspective...

I agree with your assessment of the Panny PQ. I really liked the picture on the 950 (except for flesh tones being on the brownish side, the poor off-axis viewing angles, the crosstalk-heavy 3D, and no CMS). I also agree that the 55" screen is a bit too small.

I settled on the 60" ES8000. It's not perfect, but of the three brands I tried, it is far and away the best all around performer for my particular home viewing environment. As always YMMV.

All that said, at this point, if I were in your situation, I'd hold off for another couple of months and wait to check out the new Samsung F series, or the new models from Sony (still later this year). On paper, at least, they both seem to be offering considerably more bang for the buck than their 2012 counterparts.

Keep in mind, the new Sony's in the spring are the w900 (replacement for hx850) and is also edge lit like the 850. The 950 cycle is fall so the 950 replacement will not be known until at least September, but many have speculated that the current 950 may be the last full array from Sony.

I too have had all three major brands. 65vt50, 65 and 60 es8000s and 65hx950. But my luck with Samsung was not as good as pitchmans as I was not able to get a defect free set before moving on to Sony. I obviously liked what I saw, hence the numerous exchanges I made... So I'm sure if you get a defect free set, it will be really nice.
post #10904 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 02:37 PM

Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Liked: 70
Quote:

Honestly, if you look back at the 2011 D8000 "Owmers Thread" you will see how dead it is. You know why? Because people ran out of things to talk about. I enjoy everyone's posts on here. Even if I don't agree with them, I still like to read their opinions and posts. When this thread went on for a couple of says about direct TV, and Uverse Etc.. I didn't mind at all. Matter of fact, I leaned a lot from it. This thread has become a very popular thread. People that own the Sony and Panasonic and even LG come here to read and post. I think that's pretty amazing that its still going strong. Even after the TVs close to one year old.

I think when someone posts something that someone's not interested, just don't read it. Skip it. Is that simple! I appreciate and enjoy EVERYONE'S except for one members posts here. No matter what they are talking about, Im always learning things here
Garnoch likes this.
post #10905 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Anthony, it has been an amazing thread. I've learned alot in almost 11000 posts.

The FW thing reminds me of when I bought the infamous 2nd generation Samsung bluray player. Bd-p1200. It had superior DVD picture processing ...until. Once I ran the first fw update I never was able to get back the excellent DVD picture I first had. It used the Faroudja chips. That was my big lesson. Oddly, updated my Tosh HD a30 HD DVD player twice and that has always been a perfect performer. HD pic is excellent and its processing of bluray is stellar.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #10906 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Blade, who you kidding.... You learned one and only one thing from us idiots..... DO NOT EVER UPGRADE FIRMWARE smile.gif

Then again, I'm liking this new on so far.
post #10907 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 03:27 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

I agree, this thread has just turned into post after post of buyers remorse denial...

No true. A handful? Yes. The majority here have not utter a word about remorse. Myself included.
gamermwm likes this.
post #10908 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

One thing great about this thread and our Sammy sets - - between the firmware updates, the panel issues and the EVO kit release(s) - - there will be plenty to discuss.

Fast forward - this thread five years from now....

"Got my panel replacement today - - totally different! Completely clear - - not a spot on it! Zero banding, zero flashlighting, zero anything! Samsung tech talked me into EVO Kit 5 with Ultra HD and "Deep Color." All I can say is WOW! I saw the Masters in 3D this weekend - - it was like Tiger was in your living room! Glad I got my TV fixed in time to watch the Cubbies defend their title. I'll be there on opening day with President Clinton. Did you see the new Samsung 120" OLED that weighs twenty pounds! $25K is still too much for a TV."

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #10909 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

I think Holton0289 is in charge actually. smile.gif

Hey, I tried to find specific info on H.265 for you but in the limited time I've had, I haven't. I know it was in at least one video though but don't have time to search and watch them. Like I said much earlier though or maybe in your Evo thread, if it's in the kit, it's not a selling point to me. First you need content. When we get that content, we'll wind up having it also built into our Blu-rays and media players of choice.

A page back I posted an article about h.265. Here's a short low down on where the technology is today.

"Of course, just because the format has been approved doesn’t mean that we’ll start seeing video files shrink or lower bit-rate streams anytime soon.

While there will likely be software-based encoders available by the end of the year, the codec won’t see mass adoption until it gets embedded into chips and hardware.

It could be 12 to 18 months, maybe longer, before the first devices with H.265 hardware acceleration make it to market."
post #10910 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

One thing great about this thread and our Sammy sets - - between the firmware updates, the panel issues and the EVO kit release(s) - - there will be plenty to discuss.

Fast forward - this thread five years from now....

"Got my panel replacement today - - totally different! Completely clear - - not a spot on it! Zero banding, zero flashlighting, zero anything! Samsung tech talked me into EVO Kit 5 with Ultra HD and "Deep Color." All I can say is WOW! I saw the Masters in 3D this weekend - - it was like Tiger was in your living room! Glad I got my TV fixed in time to watch the Cubbies defend their title. I'll be there on opening day with President Clinton. Did you see the new Samsung 120" OLED that weighs twenty pounds! $25K is still too much for a TV."

LMAO!! This is soo true Rico:)
post #10911 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

Anthony, it has been an amazing thread. I've learned alot in almost 11000 posts.

The FW thing reminds me of when I bought the infamous 2nd generation Samsung bluray player. Bd-p1200. It had superior DVD picture processing ...until. Once I ran the first fw update I never was able to get back the excellent DVD picture I first had. It used the Faroudja chips. That was my big lesson. Oddly, updated my Tosh HD a30 HD DVD player twice and that has always been a perfect performer. HD pic is excellent and its processing of bluray is stellar.

This is an awesome thread with some awesome people posting in it. Even non owners come here to read this thread. There's always something new going on. Wether its direct TV, FW updates, what good 3D movies are out, what's a good AVR to buy, you name it, we got it right here..lol!
post #10912 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Op's Guy View Post

A page back I posted an article about h.265. Here's a short low down on where the technology is today.

"Of course, just because the format has been approved doesn’t mean that we’ll start seeing video files shrink or lower bit-rate streams anytime soon.

While there will likely be software-based encoders available by the end of the year, the codec won’t see mass adoption until it gets embedded into chips and hardware.

It could be 12 to 18 months, maybe longer, before the first devices with H.265 hardware acceleration make it to market."

Ah, I meant to quote you too. Good article, thanks.
post #10913 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I check the thread daily for info. Still decidingq between the ES8000, Sony 55" 950 or the 60" Elite. Or now I may wait for the new models to come out.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #10914 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

I check the thread daily for info. Still decidingq between the ES8000, Sony 55" 950 or the 60" Elite. Or now I may wait for the new models to come out.

Have you seen the price drop on Amazon for the Elite?
post #10915 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

You're close enough to the new models being introduced that you should be able to find a great TV at a great price.

I've seen the 70" Elite (to die for - - solid black (my preference) very elegant and backlit). At the time I was looking - - it also had a "to die" for price, too!

Enjoy the experience - - that's what this is all about!

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #10916 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Have you seen the price drop on Amazon for the Elite?

Yes- pretty big drop. But take a look at this comment from an Amazon purchaser on the Amazon site -

"That said, you sort of expect perfection from a TV set so expensive, and this set falls a tad short. The biggest issue is that backgrounds can flicker under the wrong settings and circumstances (as if a flickering candle lit one area of the screen) and you can notice slight banding every once in awhile." (Other main somewhat negative comment was the "highly reflective screen.")

Banding! On a $7.5K (down to $6.5K) 70" Elite? Further proof that it's inherent in the technology.

Flickering candle for $7.5K? Oh well, it's better than a night light. smile.gif

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #10917 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM

The prices came down a lot. You can buy the 70" for only $6,500 now. That's only $1,500 more then what Sony is charging for their 65"

There's a new update for the Apple TV.. Guess you can now add a B.T keyboard. Wonder if that means were going to get an App Store soon??
post #10918 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:

I NEED SOURCES...lol wink.gif

Here's one source that hints that the Evo kit will bring the HDVC support

http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/peripherals/samsung-at-ces-tvs-tablets-and-even-refr/240145791
post #10919 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Here's one source that hints that the Evo kit will bring the HDVC support

http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/peripherals/samsung-at-ces-tvs-tablets-and-even-refr/240145791

There's no doubt an evo kit will most likely get this upgrade at some point, but I IMHO, not the first evo kit out.
post #10920 of 16232 Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Hello. I'm new to this thread. Forgive me if i'm barging in but i could use some educated perspective.

I have a 60" Panasonic GT50 plasma and a 55" Sony XBR HX950 sitting side by side in my living room right now. Panny plasma's picture leaves me somewhat disappointed but I love the size. Not as crisp and saturated as i'd like. XBR's picture is tremendous but really feels a bit small (65" is too much$$). I keep thinking the Samsung ES8000 LED may be perfect for me but every store I walk into i'm told the 8000 has a bunch of issues, or that the GT plasma beats it, or that it's nowhere near the picture of the Sony, or that there will always be some degree of soap opera effect i cannot eliminate, or that the level of screen uniformity, blooming, and DSE are worse than the Panasonic plasma or the XBR (which so far has zero issues). The DSE on light backgrounds such as hockey makes me cringe. I have also been told for the same price point to wait for the new Samsung that is so great it will solve world hunger without paying XBR and Elite prices. I thought it would be smart to ask you guys since you own them and have probably been through all of the pros/cons, problems and solutions. I'm between a rock and a hard place because i really would like to take advantage of 2012 model prices. I have been delaying this purchase since October of 2011. Can you guys give me your 2 cents and the cliff notes breakdown? Please. Thanks so much.

LoD80k, or any other previous Plasma owners, I just brought home my GT50 and I want to know what I need to look out for early on to see if this is the panel for me. In this thread it seems flash lighting, clouding, uniformity is the LED worry. As best I have been able to figure buzzing and IR are the worries for the GT or even VT.

How about more personal stuff? I won't hear about it over in the GT50 thread because those folks are happy with their sets, which I hope to be too, but you folks went another direction? why?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page