Forum Jump: 

post #10981 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

To confirm, those seeing a noticeable difference in Standard mode with Micro Dimming after the update, is that with the default settings or after plugging yours back in?

I did not do the full reset. I have switched to standard color tone and auto color space. Also, I have both dynamic contrast and black tone turned off.

I will watch for a while before tweaking anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10982 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Ah crap, I'll have to check it out more to see how good it is before using it. It doesn't support AirPlay so you need to buy an iOS HDMI connection.

Not sure how much, I can't find it easier.

The Samsung app works well and does come in handy - for me, mainly just for accessing menus with my Harmony is in a different mode.

You should be able to use the THX app with the Apple TV using mirroring. I'm getting it now and will try it out. I have all my devices calibrated separately, so using this tool would force me to calibrate for the Apple TV and use those settings for everything else, but I can test it out I guess. At the very least I can see if it creates calibration settings for the Apple TV that are much different than what the AVS tools produced.
post #10983 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM

Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

You should be able to use the THX app with the Apple TV using mirroring. I'm getting it now and will try it out. I have all my devices calibrated separately, so using this tool would force me to calibrate for the Apple TV and use those settings for everything else, but I can test it out I guess. At the very least I can see if it creates calibration settings for the Apple TV that are much different than what the AVS tools produced.

Yes, it supports airplay through the Apple TV. It actually works great.
post #10984 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 PM

tongue.gif
Quote:

Ah crap, I'll have to check it out more to see how good it is before using it. It doesn't support AirPlay so you need to buy an iOS HDMI connection.

Not sure how much, I can't find it easier.

The Samsung app works well and does come in handy - for me, mainly just for accessing menus with my Harmony is in a different mode.

You only need the iOS HDMI if you don't have an Apple TV and need to use it from an iPhone.

I came across this link for people into the Samsung Apps.

http://developer.samsung.com/home.do
post #10985 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

Precision black local dimming is NOT the same thing as cinema black. As far as I know, precision black involves active dimming of the LEDs depending on the content on the screen, whereas cinema black is a dummy turn off of the LEDs in the top and bottom.

This is what I heard from someone at Samsung in the past
post #10986 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

All I have to say is that THX app completely kicks @ss! Wow! I'm super impressed with it. Very easy to use and the instructions are easy for anyone to follow. The thing I really like is that you don't need a color/tint filter to make those settings. It uses the iPhone camera to adjust those things. Very sweet app! For any Apple TV users, make sure you put the phone in landscape mode when using it or all the test patterns and pictures are going to be very small.
post #10987 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

I like that THX app so much that I'm charging my old iPhone 4S, since I can connect it to my AVR and calibrate my panel to my AVR. I plan on doing it through the Standard mode and using it for all my sources. We'll see how it works out. I can tell you all that I calibrated my Apple TV using the AVS calibration files and this THX app showed that I was crushing my black levels a lot. For those that have used the app, the picture with the girl in front of the dark textured wall... well that wall behind her was black with my AVS settings, but the THX app brought out that texture and it looked awesome! I can't believe I was crushing my blacks that much.

If you have an iPhone, even if you don't plan on messing with the app any time soon, please get it before they start charging for it. One of the best apps on my phone now.
post #10988 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:

I like that THX app so much that I'm charging my old iPhone 4S, since I can connect it to my AVR and calibrate my panel to my AVR. I plan on doing it through the Standard mode and using it for all my sources. We'll see how it works out. I can tell you all that I calibrated my Apple TV using the AVS calibration files and this THX app showed that I was crushing my black levels a lot. For those that have used the app, the picture with the girl in front of the dark textured wall... well that wall behind her was black with my AVS settings, but the THX app brought out that texture and it looked awesome! I can't believe I was crushing my blacks that much.

If you have an iPhone, even if you don't plan on messing with the app any time soon, please get it before they start charging for it. One of the best apps on my phone now.

It really an amazing app!! Glad they came out with it.. They also have the THX sound demos which sound amazing!
post #10989 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

They want "The Swinging Johnsons". That's the name of my fantasy golf team.

Lol! Especially Rico and I's favorite little "kitty".. Seems like she craves that! smile.gif
post #10990 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

Precision black local dimming is NOT the same thing as cinema black. As far as I know, precision black involves active dimming of the LEDs depending on the content on the screen, whereas cinema black is a dummy turn off of the LEDs in the top and bottom.

Yes you're correct. Let me rephrase: Precision Black (aka local dimming to improve blacks) and Cinema Black (turning off specific LED's) are features exclusive only to Samsung's edge lit local dimming sets. I mentioned some of the limitations of edge lit dimming in my previous post and how it doesn't really give you that many dimming zones. I don't think anyone is missing much by not having it. If not having it was that big of a deal, noone would have bought this set

And it just wouldn't make sense to add an option for "Cinema Black" to a non edge lit local dimmer such as this set. I know everyone hates to hear it, and most just don't seem to get it. Just make the blacks deeper since you can't specifically turn off individual leds. But now if they enabled some kind of option to control the micro dimming that would make sense

post #10991 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:

All I have to say is that THX app completely kicks @ss! Wow! I'm super impressed with it. Very easy to use and the instructions are easy for anyone to follow. The thing I really like is that you don't need a color/tint filter to make those settings. It uses the iPhone camera to adjust those things. Very sweet app! For any Apple TV users, make sure you put the phone in landscape mode when using it or all the test patterns and pictures are going to be very small.

Can't wait to use it since I haven't tweaked yet! I bet the reason it calls for HDMI is because of surround audio set ups - if that's included.

Edit: The app with cost $2

Also, the FCC is saying a new smaller Apple TV is on the way for those interested.
post #10992 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

Go into Contact Samsung and there it will show your exact firmware. Now that you've reset everything (I never have but am planning to to test the current defaults), you can put your preferred setting back in. Good luck!

Does entering your old setting in after the update make sense? I mean if there are in fact changes made to the TV default settings after the update then entering your old settings in would kind of random no?
post #10993 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

HDMI Black Level or Film Mode?

Both
post #10994 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Affirmative - - the little fellow is gone on my set as well. The "V" that I had on my TV was most noticeable when changing scenes - - going from a bright scene and then fading to black and back again. At any rate - - I'm happy that it's no longer there!

So - - does that mean that Samsung can address PQ issues we didn't think they could with firmware updates?

My ES7500 has the latest update, and the"V" is still right where it always is. It has not improved.
post #10995 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 PM

Liked: 13
As I continue to panic over my GT50 I went back to Best Buy this morning to look at the ES8000. The sales drones there are never that great and I asked them about the firmware on the panel they had showing, the first guy didn't know much about it, the second guy was maybe worse, they grabbed "the guy who knows everything" and he went in to find it was some old version. I asked him to update it because everyone here has been going nuts over it. So he did. Then he also went nuts. He basically left me standing there after his jaw dropped and got on the phone to the rest of Best Buys to update this firmware so they can start pushing out sets before the 2013 shows up. He then went on and on about blacks and flash lighting.

So my dilema is now that I haven't been impressed with the GT50 for the first few days, but I haven't really given it time and I have an offer from them where the price seems just below market but they are going to throw in this kit whenever it comes out. What would you guys do?
post #10996 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
E2- what are your settings? I'm on "Standard" with "Color Tone" Standard and "Color Space" Auto.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #10997 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

E2- what are your settings? I'm on "Standard" with "Color Tone" Standard and "Color Space" Auto.

I'm currently on "standard" with color tone "warm1" and color space "auto", with backlight on 7. Black tone is on dark. I've been on these settings for quite a while now. Using the WOW disc everything looks pretty good. Having black tone on dark as opposed to off causes a tiny bit of black clipping but it's a trade off because it helps a tad with the blacks looking a bit better.
post #10998 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-t View Post

As I continue to panic over my GT50 I went back to Best Buy this morning to look at the ES8000. The sales drones there are never that great and I asked them about the firmware on the panel they had showing, the first guy didn't know much about it, the second guy was maybe worse, they grabbed "the guy who knows everything" and he went in to find it was some old version. I asked him to update it because everyone here has been going nuts over it. So he did. Then he also went nuts. He basically left me standing there after his jaw dropped and got on the phone to the rest of Best Buys to update this firmware so they can start pushing out sets before the 2013 shows up. He then went on and on about blacks and flash lighting.

So my dilema is now that I haven't been impressed with the GT50 for the first few days, but I haven't really given it time and I have an offer from them where the price seems just below market but they are going to throw in this kit whenever it comes out. What would you guys do?

Haha! This sounds like what I did on here after I did the update. I would buy the 60" not the 65" ES8000 over the GT50 any day. I know Amazon has a special where you get a free Sound bar. Not sure if BB has that offer as well.

I noticed that sometimes at the end of the Product cycle, sometimes the prices go up when they only have a handful left, because they aren't desperate to sell those small amounts left. One time i waited for the newer model to come out a couple years back, to buy the older model, and i figured I could get this killer deal on the older model, and I ended up having to pay a higher price because they only had a few left and other stores didn't have much either.
post #10999 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I'm currently on "standard" with color tone "warm1" and color space "auto", with backlight on 7. Black tone is on dark.

Eagle, have you reset your picture settings for standard mode and started from default settings? I had to do this because I didn't notice anything either. I'm wondering if folks with the 7500 didn't get the improvements that the 8000 did? I'm hoping that's not the case here but it would make sense since they say the ES8000 has the "Ultimate" and the 7500 has the "pro" M.D
post #11000 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
E2- suggestion - try turning off black tone and switch color tone to standard. You can always go back. I think the fantastic results folks have been seeing with firmware release 1046 is with somewhat default settings. Maybe other forum users can chime in here.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #11001 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:

Can't wait to use it since I haven't tweaked yet! I bet the reason it calls for HDMI is because of surround audio set ups - if that's included.

Edit: The app with cost $2

Also, the FCC is saying a new smaller Apple TV is on the way for those interested.

I played a little with it tonight. Mirroring from my iPhone 5 to the ATV2 was pretty cool. Your assumption about HDMI and 5.1 audio is correct. You pick the mfr of your tv, receiver and speakers, and the type of mobile connection. However, using an iPhone 5 requires the use of a Lightning Port to HDMI cable (which is about $45)!. I listened to the audio instructions and viewed the THX video files and they looked really good on our tv (all of the points to look for were clearly visible). The app is free from the App Store until Feb. 4th I believe. I'm toying with the idea of getting a cable to do the 5.1 audio check.
post #11002 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

I downloaded the app and via Apple TV mirroring I only get audio. Anyone ele have the same issue?
post #11003 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Eagle, have you reset your picture settings for standard mode and started from default settings? I had to do this because I didn't notice anything either. I'm wondering if folks with the 7500 didn't get the improvements that the 8000 did? I'm hoping that's not the case here but it would make sense since they say the ES8000 has the "Ultimate" and the 7500 has the "pro" M.D

Nope, I haven't done a full reset. I really don't like the idea of doing a full reset after every update. That's way too much effort having to put all my settings into every single port for every 2D and 3D mode. If there was some concrete evidence like Samsung saying "this update requires a full reset to take effect", then at least I could see the benefit. But unfortunately for every person that says they see a difference after doing a full reset, another person says that see no difference. The last time I did a full reset, I saw no difference, if that's anything to go by.
gamermwm likes this.
post #11004 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

E2- suggestion - try turning off black tone and switch color tone to standard. You can always go back. I think the fantastic results folks have been seeing with firmware release 1046 is with somewhat default settings. Maybe other forum users can chime in here.

Funny you mention that, because I started playing around with some settings tonight, after I posted that, and I decided that I do think standard color tone looks more natural for flesh tones. I also turned off black tone because the more I play with it, the more I think it probably does more harm than good. I don't think this has anything to do with the updates though, because things honestly look pretty much the same as I'm used to seeing. The test images on the WOW disc still look just like they always did to me, I just think I'm liking the standard color a bit more than warm1.

One thing I'll say - I spent a couple hours tonight switching back and forth between standard and movie modes - I haven't done that for quite a while. Standard still has just as much auto-dimming as ever for me - I still use the workaround and I can't see myself ever not needing to use it. With the workaround, standard seems the best mode for me - it offers the best image quality with the lowest backlight setting. Movie mode still needs to be set around 5 points higher to equal the brightness of standard mode. Standard mode is set to 7, and it's plenty bright enough at that setting. Movie mode on 7 is quite dim - noticeably dimmer than standard at 7, and too dim to enjoy viewing. At 12, it looks more like standard in terms of brightness, but then the "V" is much more visible thanks to the increased backlight. And I think movie mode just looks too dull and murky honestly, compared to standard. Standard looks quite natural to me - not blown out, not over-saturated - just natural. I have things pretty nicely balanced now. Movie mode just doesn't seem to compare.

Regarding the standard mode workaround - I've veered quite a bit from the original posted fix that was posted. I've managed to get what I feel is excellent color while completely eliminating the auto-dimming effects of standard mode. The trick is bumping the offsets in white balance way, way down and bumping up the brightness higher. My brightness is on 60 which sounds really high, but keep in mind my offsets are very low, which balances it back out while defeating auto-dimming. The test images on the WOW disc look good with these settings, and it allows me to enjoy standard mode, which gives me the benefit of a great image while keeping the backlight low.
post #11005 of 16215 Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 PM

Liked: 10
So Eagle_2 ,please post your current Settings
looks very nice !

llorc
post #11006 of 16215 Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
For those of you interested in 3D blurays check out bluray.com (If you don't already know about it). I'll provide a link below that will you take you straight to the Trading Forum which is for members only (you won't be able to see the listings until you sign in). If you're not already a part of the forum it's pretty quick and easy to sign up (and free of course). On that page you'll find the 3D Blu-ray Buy/ Sell/ Trade thread - which is where people seek trades and list their 3D movies for sale

http://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

I've been a part of the community there for going on 2 years now, and when I first joined most 3D discs went for around $15 there, but I'd say most average around $10 for just the 3D disc now. That way instead of limiting yourself to one $25-30 3D movie once a month, you could go there and get 3 3D discs for that price. It's not uncommon for people to list them at $8 each. And if you're looking for complete combo packs, you'll find them there as well. I've never had one bad trade and most people who trade there are trustworthy. Give it a look if you want.

I don't normally go out of my way to tell people about it because it's kind of my and a handful of others go-to niche for new 3d releases on the cheap. But I like you guys so I thought I'd share the info. Good luck. Disclaimer: Please note that I am not advertising anything here as bluray.com is not a retail site. It's a lot like AVS but with various bluray centric threads for bluray movie & hardware enthusiasts

post #11007 of 16215 Old 01-30-2013, 03:37 AM

Quote:

Nope, I haven't done a full reset. I really don't like the idea of doing a full reset after every update. That's way too much effort having to put all my settings into every single port for every 2D and 3D mode. If there was some concrete evidence like Samsung saying "this update requires a full reset to take effect", then at least I could see the benefit. But unfortunately for every person that says they see a difference after doing a full reset, another person says that see no difference. The last time I did a full reset, I saw no difference, if that's anything to go by.

Me either.. and I think its ridiculous to have to do one. But, Nitra did recommend this a while back after a few updates back, but, when I did a reset then, it didn't do anything for me either. But what I meant to you was, not a full reset, but a reset to the default settings for standard mode. There's an option at the bottom in standard mode to just reset that mode back or default. Maybe try that? If this doesn't work, then all I could think is that the people with the 7500 don't see much difference like the ones with the 8000.

Someone mentioned that people in the UK said that after their updates, they had "like" Blu ray quality. I can see what they mean now. That's how bright, and clear my picture has gotten in Standard mode. I know a lot of people were complaining to Samsung that they see no difference between the 8000 and the less $$$ 7500, so maybe they made two look different.. Idk. Again, this is bad on Samsung's part for not releasing exact update notes so everyone knows what the updates do before updating.
post #11008 of 16215 Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:

I haven't seen as much positive feedback associated with an update, outside of this one. My set looks completely different, and my V did disappear. I didn't do the full reset, but we've seen before that sometimes the update sticks, and sometimes it doesn't. The full reset may be the action that helps your update stick.

As unhappy as you are with your set, isn't it worth taking that chance to see? If you were thrilled with your picture, I could see why you wouldn't do it. It is definitely a pain to go through all that.
post #11009 of 16215 Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7011jrs View Post

I haven't seen as much positive feedback associated with an update, outside of this one. My set looks completely different, and my V did disappear. I didn't do the full reset, but we've seen before that sometimes the update sticks, and sometimes it doesn't. The full reset may be the action that helps your update stick.

As unhappy as you are with your set, isn't it worth taking that chance to see? If you were thrilled with your picture, I could see why you wouldn't do it. It is definitely a pain to go through all that.

I totally agree 7011..that's like with me, I wasn't that impressed with my sets either, so I was willing to do the reset just in case..

so I just checked my 60" which isn't even being up converted to 1080p like all my other sets. And I can actually say with my Comcast cable, Standard def looks watchable for the first time. This is unbelievable because standard def looked horrible before this. My 720p Apple TV looks like blu ray now after using this App, and my 1080p Apple TV looks like 4K..lol!

I'm really excited about this. Even my E8000 plasma that I'm returning looks way better now after this update. It made it much brighter, with even deeper blacks. I stayed patient this whole year owning this TV, because I knew eventually this set will look amazing. I knew eventually the engineers would be able to fix the issues and adjust the Micro Dimming so that blacks, are inky black. Being a "only" Samsung TV owner now for years, I have seen some of their newer models that can take FW updates improve more and more through FW updates.
And when my old Grandmother said she noticed a "more" brighter, colorful picture, that was all the confirmation I needed..lol!

Now I think I can finally join the Fanboy club here! biggrin.gif

I can't understand if Best Buy's employees noticed the difference right away to where they got on the phone to tell everyone to update all their models on display and all the others here and the members in the UK and on the UK forum see this major in your face difference, why are there owners on here not noticing this? The only thing I can think is, maybe the 7500 Owners won't notice the difference, or maybe because the update is sticking and needs a reset. These are the only 2 things that it can be.. Sorry guys. I'm just trying to figure this out here
post #11010 of 16215 Old 01-30-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

Does entering your old setting in after the update make sense? I mean if there are in fact changes made to the TV default settings after the update then entering your old settings in would kind of random no?

It depends. I think it's worth checking out the default settings in that case, and if you did that and had a meter, it would then be worth perhaps starting over. But I can tell you that having the same settings before and after the update is almost identical, so it's a good starting point for tweaking to just put them back in. It's a personal call though.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page