post #1081 of 16222 Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles norwich View Post

Thank you for your reply.Having looked on the site you kindly did a link to I do not think that the problem I have is directly connected with the fact that it is a side lit LED TV since this extremely narrow band is on all sides of the screen.To illustrate the point a dark scene will have this extremely narrow band where the picture is slightly lighter than the rest of the image.This will be apparent on any of the screens edges that contain the dark scene,not just the vertical edges where it could be put down to the edge lit LED's being responsible.It is not a patch but a distinct very narrow line immediately next to the trim.Looking at a scene with a bright blue background and you can definately see a feint opaque band going right round the screen.If anyone has a Panasonic blu-ray player then the set up screen will clearly show what I mean.The TV's I experimented with today as I have mentioned all exhibited this issue regardless of picture settings.I think that this is a Samsung problem and not a problem with LED TV's in general since this evening I went to several dealers and saw various side lit LED TV's but only the Samsung ES8000 range had this issue. Interestingly I saw two Samsung mid-priced side lit LED TV's both 46" and they did not have this issue.
Charles

Charles, don't judge the TV's in the store, they are all running in Dynamic mode, with the backlight and other settings maxed out. Also, to the point, on that link above, look for the title "Edge-lit with LED's all around: "
You'll see the following picture;
http://cdn.asia.cnet.com/i/r/2011/tv/62213336/uniformity5_sc.jpg
Nobody should ever have their set cranked up to the showroom settings, they are not at all represented of what you'll get at home, once the set is setup and calibrated correct, very little of this will show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorioso View Post

I'm having a problem with AllShare. It works fine... for 20~30 minutes, then i lost connection to AllShare, and it only solves if a turn off and on the LCD... any ideias?mad.gif

What are you connecting to? Allshare on a computer?
If yes, install and use PS3 Media Server, it's much better of a program for this, simply hit the source button, and pick it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkknightEngel View Post

Hello nitra,
Now that you have your set, do you have the " v " of light above the logo? By now i'm figuring out all the sets may have it since i received a new set because of this, and this 2nd one has it too, but it came worst, with around 8 stuck/ dirt pixels across the screen, something that is unacceptable.
Now i miss my first set, it had zero dead pixels.

My panel is flawless, I did have one slight flashlight from the top right corner, but with my calibration settings posted above combined with the ECO sensor, it's not visable.
There is no V coming from anywhere near the Samsung Logo, I have it diabled when then TV is on, only turning on when it's in standby mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 05:31 AM

Liked: 10
Samsung Picture.jpg 196k .jpg file
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra View Post

Charles, don't judge the TV's in the store, they are all running in Dynamic mode, with the backlight and other settings maxed out. Also, to the point, on that link above, look for the title "Edge-lit with LED's all around: "
You'll see the following picture;
http://cdn.asia.cnet.com/i/r/2011/tv/62213336/uniformity5_sc.jpg
Nobody should ever have their set cranked up to the showroom settings, they are not at all represented of what you'll get at home, once the set is setup and calibrated correct, very little of this will show.
If yes, install and use PS3 Media Server, it's much better of a program for this, simply hit the source button, and pick it.
My panel is flawless, I did have one slight flashlight from the top right corner, but with my calibration settings posted above combined with the ECO sensor, it's not visable.
There is no V coming from anywhere near the Samsung Logo, I have it diabled when then TV is on, only turning on when it's in standby mode.
Thank you for your reply.The attachment is what I am experiencing but only along the extreme borders all the way round,less than a millimetre I would say.Athat Ill the TV's in the 46/55 model range I have seen(a further 8 seen today) have this issue.In all cases I operated the TVs myself and showed the pictures at the same settings that I use.The brightness/backlight levels do not seem to have any effect on this matter,even at 0 back light and 0 brightness it is still there. Samsung Picture.jpg 196k .jpg file .I have also tried many other LED TV's but only this issue is on this particular Samsung.Interestingly in the UK Samsung have replied to a customer saying that this issue may be down to design as opposed to an actual fault!
Charles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Samsung Picture.jpg (196.2 KB, 98 views)
post #1083 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles norwich View Post

Samsung Picture.jpg 196k .jpg file
Thank you for your reply.The attachment is what I am experiencing but only along the extreme borders all the way round,less than a millimetre I would say.All theTV's in the 46/55 model range I have seen(a further 8 seen today) have this issue.In all cases I operated the TVs myself and showed the pictures at the same settings that I use.The brightness/backlight levels do not seem to have any effect on this matter,even at 0 back light and 0 brightness it is still there. Samsung Picture.jpg 196k .jpg file .I have also tried many other LED TV's but only this issue is on this particular Samsung.Interestingly in the UK Samsung have replied to a customer saying that this issue may be down to design as opposed to an actual fault!
Charles
Corrected grammar
post #1084 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Can you post a couple more pictures?
I can't really see an issue on the picture you posted.
post #1085 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 06:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

same with me.
post #1086 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Very difficult to get a good picture of the issue but if you look carefully at the immediate screen edge on the horizontal plane you can see part of this very narrow dull bar near to where the picture cuts off.This goes round the whole screen in exactly the same position.
Charles
post #1087 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 07:09 AM

Liked: 14
I have triple checked my panel and I do not have this on my 8000. Its funny because I did notice this on my 7500. I know exactly what he is talking about. Its like one of those little over scan lines that you see at the edge of the picture(its not that big at all, maybe 1 or 2 pixel rows worth. I seen that on my 7500 but on my 8000 it does not exist.
post #1088 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Charles, that line is normal. I hate to say it, but facts are facts, some sets show it more than others, but that is from the edge lighting. Sets with a larger bezel generally have it less than the thin bezels.
It's not bad on the ES8000 when you look at some of the other models out there, but it is completely normal. You can perhaps try the panel lottery and hope you get one that shows it a little less, but they all have it in some form or another. The LED's that are lighting the panels along all edges are very high intensity LED's, because of this you will see the light. Sets with larger bezels can add ways to defuse the light a bit more before it comes into the LCD panel.

Please be aware, that there are drawbacks to each set of technology on the market right now, this happens to be one of them. No TV on the market right now is without issue, all of them have their own issues, some are a hell of a lot worse than brightness on the edge. Plasmas/Edge Lit/Rear Light/DLP etc, they all have issues, and a lot of these issues are much worse than the issue you're mentioning.
post #1089 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 10:58 AM

I have a question. When I try to calibrate my my ES8000 the HDMI black level is greyed out and I am unable to change it. This happens in both movie and standard mode? I am also not finding the individual color adjustments like the 0,50,0 under custom color settings. All I have is one slider for each color. Can someone please help?
post #1090 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Charles, that line is normal. I hate to say it, but facts are facts, some sets show it more than others, but that is from the edge lighting. Sets with a larger bezel generally have it less than the thin bezels.
It's not bad on the ES8000 when you look at some of the other models out there, but it is completely normal. You can perhaps try the panel lottery and hope you get one that shows it a little less, but they all have it in some form or another. The LED's that are lighting the panels along all edges are very high intensity LED's, because of this you will see the light. Sets with larger bezels can add ways to defuse the light a bit more before it comes into the LCD panel.
Please be aware, that there are drawbacks to each set of technology on the market right now, this happens to be one of them. No TV on the market right now is without issue, all of them have their own issues, some are a hell of a lot worse than brightness on the edge. Plasmas/Edge Lit/Rear Light/DLP etc, they all have issues, and a lot of these issues are much worse than the issue you're mentioning.
Thank you for your detailed reply.It seems that the thin bezel is the main culprit here which is probably why I did not notice the issue on other edge lit LED TV's all of which have larger bezels.It is a shame that Samsung decided to put looks above all else.Perhaps many other forum members have noticed this issue,but because they are better informed on the drawbacks of side lit LED technology than myself have accepted this, like yourself, as being normal.Overall I find the picture on the TV to be incredibly sharp and detailed so now that I know the facts can easily live with the issue.Before purchasing this set I was considering a Plasma but even the latest Panasonic plasmas in my opinion do not have the incredible sharpness as the 55" ES8000,added to which a neighbour has a faint Sky News logo burnt in on his 2010 Panasonic plasma,which is someting I thought did not happen on modern Plasma TV's.
Charles
post #1091 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Burn-in can happen to all TV's, plasma image retention is pretty bad, even in modern Plasma TV's, that coupled with the brightness issues are the reason I've steered clear of plasma.
Keep in mind, Image Retention and Burn-in are 2 separate yet related things, image retention can be cured by watching something else for a while, depending on the degree of retention, it might take 15 minutes, or 3 hours, but generally it will go away.
Burn in, is when those images will no longer get off the screen, no matter how many hours of maintenance you try to remove them.

Personally, the amount of work necessary to keep a plasma healthy, are not worth the inky blacks.
post #1092 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas0linE View Post

I have a question. When I try to calibrate my my ES8000 the HDMI black level is greyed out and I am unable to change it. This happens in both movie and standard mode? I am also not finding the individual color adjustments like the 0,50,0 under custom color settings. All I have is one slider for each color. Can someone please help?

#1, click the slider, it will generally allow changes, then you can set the numbers, should be pretty easy once you do that.
#2, depending on the source, you cannot adjust all settings, if you're using the TV tuner, these options are even more limited.
#3, my calibration settings were based on HDMI input but can be moved to component, however with component, the HDMI options will be greyed out.
#4, sometimes HDMI sources have the flags for levels coded into the signal, thus you can't adjust them.
post #1093 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:

#1, click the slider, it will generally allow changes, then you can set the numbers, should be pretty easy once you do that.
#2, depending on the source, you cannot adjust all settings, if you're using the TV tuner, these options are even more limited.
#3, my calibration settings were based on HDMI input but can be moved to component, however with component, the HDMI options will be greyed out.
#4, sometimes HDMI sources have the flags for levels coded into the signal, thus you can't adjust them.

I can click the slider and change the value but I guess what I am confused about is the commas like 0,43,52. I can adjust one number like RED 42 then I go to the next color. I am also not seeing cyan and magenta color. I am trying to use your calibration settings and I am using a Sony 3D blu ray player for the input using HDMI. I have white balance settings, but I do not have a on/off option. I noticed on your calibration list you have White balance on, but I have no on/off option. As far as the colors go, shouldn't I see 3 separate sliders for each color? so I can do 0,43,52 etc?
post #1094 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

There are 3 values you can set for each color. Hence the 0,0,0 the main color starts at Red, if you click red you can select the others.

As for white balance, you are not using 10p white balance, simply click the white balance option above it, called white balance.
post #1095 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Nitra, I got my set calibrated with your exact settings and it looks good. One question... Does this disable the micro dimming ultimate? I thought I read somewhere microdimming is tied with dynamic contrast?
post #1096 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

It does not, it is a separate image processor.
If you enable DC, it will crush blacks. You can try it, but don't set it above low.
post #1097 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 06:23 PM

Nitra, I want to give you some props on your calibration settings! I have the same panel number as you and I've tried the other users calibrations. Your calibrations are by far superior! I can't believe the pic quality.I am watching Tron and it's like magic the picture is so good! Your the real deal and know how to calibrate! is ISF the way cinemas do it as well? It looks gorgeous! Thank for you settings,it took my panel to a whole new level.
post #1098 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

It is, that's correct. Glad to help!
post #1099 of 16222 Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilphil240 View Post

I just purchased the UN46ES7500. I know this is the UNES8000 thread but it seems it is a shared thread with the UNES7500 because the TVs are so similar. It is a tad bit too small for my tastes, and 55" is too big.

Samsung announced a 50" model for the ES7500 series (UN50ES7500). Now, it seems it isn't available yet, and am wondering if any of you had further information regarding a release date?

I was just in Best Buy this evening and I was looking at the ES7500. I talked to a salesperson and asked if there was a 50" available and he said around July 3rd/ first week of July. He wasn't completely sure if it would be available only online or if it would be in stores, but he checked some inventory screens and said it looks like stores might actually get the 50" model. He said there is a chance that it could be available only through the website or by them custom ordering one from Samsung, so he really wasn't sure. I wish I could remember the price he quoted but it was pretty expensive - more expensive than the 55" on sale right now, but of course that was list price with no sale. If the 50" ends up in stores, it makes sense that it would see similar sale prices that we've seen on other sizes which could be a very good thing for those who find 46" too small and 55" too big or expensive (like me).
post #1100 of 16222 Old 06-14-2012, 03:03 AM

Holton0289, or someone else with the 55" es8000:
How width is the swivel stand, the part which is in contact with the table ?
post #1101 of 16222 Old 06-14-2012, 05:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I was just in Best Buy this evening and I was looking at the ES7500. I talked to a salesperson and asked if there was a 50" available and he said around July 3rd/ first week of July. He wasn't completely sure if it would be available only online or if it would be in stores, but he checked some inventory screens and said it looks like stores might actually get the 50" model. He said there is a chance that it could be available only through the website or by them custom ordering one from Samsung, so he really wasn't sure. I wish I could remember the price he quoted but it was pretty expensive - more expensive than the 55" on sale right now, but of course that was list price with no sale. If the 50" ends up in stores, it makes sense that it would see similar sale prices that we've seen on other sizes which could be a very good thing for those who find 46" too small and 55" too big or expensive (like me).

Good rule of thumb, if your eye is 9 feet or more away from the screen when viewing, 55" isn't too big. At 46", with no bezel, you will be left feeling that the TV is very small.
After having owned many, I would not own something less than 55" at 9', at 10-11, I'd really try and bump the size to 60+.
4 years ago, when the bezel would have added 6"+ to the overall size, this would have been quite different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuakko View Post

Holton0289, or someone else with the 55" es8000:
How width is the swivel stand, the part which is in contact with the table ?

The ES8000 doesn't have a swivel stand, the lower models do, but it was changed this year on this model.

You can check the dimensions on the Samsung site, near the top of the page are the measurements.
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55ES8000FXZA-specs
post #1102 of 16222 Old 06-14-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:

Good rule of thumb, if your eye is 9 feet or more away from the screen when viewing, 55" isn't too big. At 46", with no bezel, you will be left feeling that the TV is very small.
After having owned many, I would not own something less than 55" at 9', at 10-11, I'd really try and bump the size to 60+.
4 years ago, when the bezel would have added 6"+ to the overall size, this would have been quite different.
The ES8000 doesn't have a swivel stand, the lower models do, but it was changed this year on this model.
You can check the dimensions on the Samsung site, near the top of the page are the measurements.
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55ES8000FXZA-specs

Actually I meant the Arch flow stand smile.gif
There is not actual information on how wide the base of the stand is anywhere.
post #1103 of 16222 Old 06-14-2012, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

It's 38" across point to point, but the actual contact point is 24".
post #1104 of 16222 Old 06-14-2012, 07:41 AM

Nitra, any chance you can calibrate Game mode? There are not many options but I figured you could get them looking really good. Also, Are you ISF certified? I am still floored by the calibrations on my panel. How long did it take you to achieve those settings?
post #1105 of 16222 Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

You can copy the settings over to game mode, color shouldn't deviate when in game mode, just extra image processing.
post #1106 of 16222 Old 06-14-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Ive tried it but i think it transcodes,because it gets laggy... and serviio simply dont work. Cant solve the prolem. But when i lost the connection all DNLA servers desapear.
post #1107 of 16222 Old 06-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Set the PS3 media server to use a maximum 110Mb/sec on the general page.
On your other issue, is this wired or wireless?
post #1108 of 16222 Old 06-14-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

4 years ago, when the bezel would have added 6"+ to the overall size, this would have been quite different.]

I really wanted the 50" but it isn't available for weeks and I was exchanging a set and only had a few days left to return it so I had to go with the 46" (the 55" was way out of my price range).
I'm really hoping the 50" ends up in stores and starts off with a good sale price.

Quote:

Does this mean the ES7500 has the swivel stand hopefully?
post #1109 of 16222 Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:

I really wanted the 50" but it isn't available for weeks and I was exchanging a set and only had a few days left to return it so I had to go with the 46" (the 55" was way out of my price range).
I'm really hoping the 50" ends up in stores and starts off with a good sale price.

Yes the ES7500 has the Swivel Stand. I originally had that and the picture was great. The ES8000 went on sale 2 weeks later so I exchanged my 7500 and upgraded to that model. I did not notice a huge diff between the 7500 and 8000 but I did notice better blacks and richer color on the ES8000. I think that was from the Micro Dimming Ultimate vs Micro Dimming pro. Plus for me its good because I know I have the top model and don't have that what if I would have spent the extra $$$ and got the higher model thoughts. I hate that when that happens to me.
post #1110 of 16222 Old 06-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Keep in mind the only models in 50" this year from Samsung, will be the ES6100, ES6500 and ES7500.
There was susposed to be full availability as of May, so maybe other vendors have them.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page