Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 385 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #11521 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMakoto View Post

Anthony5362, i have been trying to ask you this question, but always forget every time reading this thread. anyway, i see that you were one of the bunch that has noticed the jaw-dropping pictures this new update has given, so i wanted to ask you; prior to this update, did you have any custom picture settings or it was the default un-tweaked settings? myself and along with others have noticed minimal differences after the update, and i've done the tv reset a few times as well-but not noticing any big difference. btw, i have the banded 65".

Its been minimal for myself as well. I haven't done a full reset yet. still deciding if it's going to have any benefit. My picture has always been really good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

So you're connected to an antenna? I'm not so I'm not sure I'll be much help but I'll bump this post for you and say that there must be a place to Auto Program after the TV was initially set up. Or do a full reset (this will wipe your settings so write them down first) and then the TV will start from scratch again. During that process, here is what the manual says.....

Select the appropriate option for your TV using your remote, and then
select Next.
• Yes, I need to.: Select if you have an antenna or a cable connection without a set-top box. If you select this option, go to 6 - Auto Program (2) Step.
• No, I don’t need to.: Select if you have a satellite or cable set-top box. You do not need to run Auto Program. If you select this option, go to 8 - Clock on the next page.
1. Select Air or Cable using your remote. A check appears on your selection. When done, select Next. You can check both if you have both connected.
2. If you selected Air, go to 7 - Auto Program (3).
3. If you selected Cable, you’ll go to the cable system screen. Select Digital Cable System. The option window appears. Select the correct cable signal format; STD, HRC, or IRC. Most cable systems use STD (Standard). Repeat the same process with Analog Cable System.
4. When done, select Next.
Channel memorization stars. Channel memorization can take up to 45
minutes, depending on your cable system.
For more information, refer to Auto Program (Channel Menu → Memorizing Channels) in the e-Manual.
✎ Select Stop at any time to halt the memorization process.

Thanks a lot for replying. Not sorted yet but seems to be local to the over the air feed. Cheers as always
post #11523 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

I envy you guys in the UK..lol! You have all the goodies when it comes to pretty much everything. Designs, technology, TV..we have to pay high prices for our DVRs where you get to save everything from your TV..rolleyes.gif your lucky..
I guess we are. I generallythink it's good and the bbc stuff is always stand out programming. Player on the Samsung is very very good and well worth it. I don't watch live tv now because of it
post #11524 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Anthony5362, i have been trying to ask you this question, but always forget every time reading this thread. anyway, i see that you were one of the bunch that has noticed the jaw-dropping pictures this new update has given, so i wanted to ask you; prior to this update, did you have any custom picture settings or it was the default un-tweaked settings? myself and along with others have noticed minimal differences after the update, and i've done the tv reset a few times as well-but not noticing any big difference. btw, i have the banded 65".

Not speaking for Anthony, but as one of the members that saw significant improvements from the latest update, I can tell you that my settings were customized, and not factory default settings. i would go between Movie and Standard modes, with custom adjustments within each mode. After the update, I am pretty much using Standard mode exclusively, still with similar custom settings, however I have completely turned off any dynamic contrast and black tone settings. These previously were set to "Low" and "Dark" respectively.

For me, on my 8000, the blacks are much darker, without crushing detail, and somehow my infamous "V" has disappeared whereas before I could consistently make it appear in certain conditions. I have been happy with my set for the most part, once I got my settings dialed in, but after the latest FW update, it looks even better, with the deepest, richest blacks I have seen yet on my set.

I did the full reset after about a week of viewing the update without doing so. I did NOT notice a difference after the full reset - other than having to go back through all of my settings for each input again. The factory default settings really weren't watchable in my opinion, in any mode. Those that don't make adjustments I think are really missing the true value of this amazing set.
post #11525 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

To tell you the truth after the update I noticed a big differance. But after the TV reset it looks a bit better but I put in the settings the guys posted the other day. I do have my color tone set at warm 1.Dynamic Contrast to High ..Black tone Darkest..HDMI Black Low...I just cant decide between Color Space Native or Custom(setting I got from the guys here) but it looks great with my eyes....Im just waiting for it to get dark than I can realy tell you if the factory reset made a differance to my eyes.But Im not a TV calibratior by career just an enthusiast.
post #11526 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 PM

Ink black bars on top and bottom! Thats Blu Ray..
post #11527 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montegoblueguy View Post

Ink black bars in top and bottom! Thats Blu Ray..
You cant even see where the screen starts and ends top to bottom...LOL
post #11528 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

You cant even see where the screen starts and ends top to bottom...LOL

Those blacks look really good. Nothing better than letterboxing that blends into the bezel. Just curious....did the update improve flashlighting on really dark scenes like in the tunnels with Commissioner Gordon on the Dark Knight Rises or on Prometheus in the beginning in the caves. Beginning of Cars 2 with the transmission to Finn McMissile is another trouble scene for flashlighting that I remember. The 65ES8000 I had always had amazing blacks in 2D, but still was plagued by some minor flashlighting in 3D.... and intro and/or end credits where there was just a single line in the middle of the screen often created some minor flashlighting. That would be amazing if this update was able to resolve those issues.
post #11529 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:

Ink black bars on top and bottom! Thats Blu Ray..

Glad you're happy. Which picture mode you're using, Movie, Standard, Dynamic or Natural?

And I see you have JBLs.... Very nice smile.gif
post #11530 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Those blacks look really good. Nothing better than letterboxing that blends into the bezel. Just curious....did the update improve flashlighting on really dark scenes like in the tunnels with Commissioner Gordon on the Dark Knight Rises or on Prometheus in the beginning in the caves. Beginning of Cars 2 with the transmission to Finn McMissile is another trouble scene for flashlighting that I remember. The 65ES8000 I had always had amazing blacks in 2D, but still was plagued by some minor flashlighting in 3D.... and intro and/or end credits where there was just a single line in the middle of the screen often created some minor flashlighting. That would be amazing if this update was able to resolve those issues.
It seems I had a bit of flashlighting before update.I even called samsung they told me to turn down the backlight to 7 and to wait 3 weeks if it didnt fix it I guess break in to call back and the woild sent a tech out a few days later Bam 1064 FW came out. I do see a little flashlight sometimes when screen is black and Im using my STB menu.But never when watching TV. Ihavent tested the movies you listed .Lord of the rings and some other Blu Ray streamed from my compter look amazing.
post #11531 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

I found this great info on Crutchfield.com. There's a lot more to this, but just highlighted a little of it. Mainly the "Motion Lighting" that I've been using and getting amazing results from. Better than the Eco sensor. Its strange that they both do the same though.

Note: You can adjust and store Picture Settings for each external device connected to the TV.
Motion Lighting: The TV automatically adjusts the brightness of the screen in response to the brightness of the room. In bright light, the screen brightens. In dim light, the screen dims.

LED Motion Plus: This function removes drag from fast scenes with a lot of movement to provide a clear picture.

This is an Awesome option LED Motion Plus adds extra resolution and the smoothness of a CRT or Plasma.

It creates really quick backlight strobing, thus ending trailing in fast moving sceens. It also darken black levels.
post #11532 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

Are you back in the game then, Blade? Yep, I think more than ever if you connected your TV to the network haha. Can't believe your updating, let alone right before the big game. I'm impressed an sad all at the same time. smile.gif And yeah, hockey looks insane. So I guess dithering needs to be used in plasma displays because of its gray level limitations. On your TV, turn Sharpness up and you'll get an idea of it's looks. See these pics......

This looks like two different things Garnoch... the dithering on these sets is pretty bad and I haven't found that lowering sharpness has any effect on the degree.... the LG I had previous I didn't notice any sort of issue... different type of panel I'm thinking.

The noise on the first image is source dependant... only turning on filter reductions in settings would remove this.
post #11533 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:

Glad you're happy. Which picture mode you're using, Movie, Standard, Dynamic or Natural?

And I see you have JBLs.... Very nice smile.gif
Standard Dynamic a bit much. But catch myself going to it time to time depending how it was recorded. Still seems to amaze me. Movie tooooo dull un life like.Never messed with Natural. Just my opinion.smile.gif A mater af fact I just swicthed to Movie and say a bit of flashlighting I didnt change settings just went back to Standard....
post #11534 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

This looks like two different things Garnoch... the dithering on these sets is pretty bad and I haven't found that lowering sharpness has any effect on the degree.... the LG I had previous I didn't notice any sort of issue... different type of panel I'm thinking.

The noise on the first image is source dependant... only turning on filter reductions in settings would remove this.

No someone asked what plasma dithering was so I posted to example from a plasma forum and simply made the comment that it looks similar to the effect you get when you turn sharpness up a lot. Sorry for the confusion.
post #11535 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:

It seems I had a bit of flashlighting before update.I even called samsung they told me to turn down the backlight to 7 and to wait 3 weeks if it didnt fix it I guess break in to call back and the would sent a tech out a few days later Bam 1064 FW came out. I do see a little flashlight sometimes when screen is black and Im using my STB menu.But never when watching TV. Ihavent tested the movies you listed .Lord of the rings and some other Blu Ray streamed from my compter look amazing.
I have a few 3D movies downloaded Dred and Kung fu Panda 2 and Frankenwinnie Ill try them out and see whst happens . Ill get back to you..
post #11536 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:

Standard Dynamic a bit much. But catch myself going to it time to time depending how it was recorded. Still seems to amaze me. Movie tooooo dull un life like.Never messed with Natural. Just my opinion.smile.gif A mater af fact I just swicthed to Movie and say a bit of flashlighting I didnt change settings just went back to Standard....
thanks yes the JBL's are nice they were given to me by an engineer at a radio station you're doing some construction there and he turned me on to them they studio monitors but they work great.
post #11537 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

No someone asked what plasma dithering was so I posted to example from a plasma forum and simply made the comment that it looks similar to the effect you get when you turn sharpness up a lot. Sorry for the confusion.

Gotcha... have you noticed the poor dithering though? Even on a high quality source I notice in low level scenes the dithering is pretty bad... I also noticed the same thing with my previous sammy plasma.
post #11538 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

This is an Awesome option LED Motion Plus adds extra resolution and the smoothness of a CRT or Plasma.

It creates really quick backlight strobing, thus ending trailing in fast moving sceens. It also darken black levels.

++++100
This may be what's giving me these amazing black levels since I have this enabled now. It did dim the picture quite a bit, but I had to adjust the backght higher and other settings. The motion brightness is also helping I think.. With the black levels. Eco sensor is NOT helping both my 60" and 65" panels anymore like it used to.
post #11539 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:

You are SO right - consumers shouldn't have to be so confused about what things are. In fact, I couldn't Motion Lighting in Samsung's support docs anywhere and have to look for outside sources for the Guide. So you may have a very interesting find. Are you saying it is possible that you are getting better uniformity partially because of having Motion Lighting on? I've tried it on and have seen nothing, but I've never tried it on with Eco off. I'll give that a shot for fun, thanks. Last night during the game, I was driving my wife and oldest daughter nuts but changing setting haha. No one else seemed to care though. Movie, Standard, Eco on/off, Black Enhancer on/off, Dynamic Contrast on/off, etc. The game looked amazing, but I will say that I don't think live sports look as good as post produced programs. The commercials looked insanely good. Some of the cameras for the game that are far away get washed out though being they're not really color graded and doing everything on the fly. The close cameras though, even the one floating above the field looked amazing. It really got me thinking though. Broadcast TV at 4k is simply a long way off, but man would I love to see 1080p TV.

LOL! I'm sure a lot of folks wife's are getting fed up right about now..lol! This update to me anyways, is going to be called the "Bladerunner" update because this is the very 1st update he has done since owning this TV since last year!..lol!
post #11540 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7011jrs View Post

Not speaking for Anthony, but as one of the members that saw significant improvements from the latest update, I can tell you that my settings were customized, and not factory default settings. i would go between Movie and Standard modes, with custom adjustments within each mode. After the update, I am pretty much using Standard mode exclusively, still with similar custom settings, however I have completely turned off any dynamic contrast and black tone settings. These previously were set to "Low" and "Dark" respectively.

For me, on my 8000, the blacks are much darker, without crushing detail, and somehow my infamous "V" has disappeared whereas before I could consistently make it appear in certain conditions. I have been happy with my set for the most part, once I got my settings dialed in, but after the latest FW update, it looks even better, with the deepest, richest blacks I have seen yet on my set.

I did the full reset after about a week of viewing the update without doing so. I did NOT notice a difference after the full reset - other than having to go back through all of my settings for each input again. The factory default settings really weren't watchable in my opinion, in any mode. Those that don't make adjustments I think are really missing the true value of this amazing set.

I'm glad you see the difference. This is also interesting because a few others have said they noticed the improvement also without using the Dynamic Contrast and black tone settings. This is why its really good to just try all different things. For me, the Eco sensor is killing my picture, and the motion brightness and LED motion plus is helping, but everyone's panels are different and In different lighting conditions..
post #11541 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Hey man,

You shouldn't have to keep resetting your TV. First, make sure you have FW update 1046.2 by going into the settings and clicking on "Contact Samsung" after that, you should be able to see where your FW version is and serial #. Don't go by the other way, because it will jus say 1046, and not 1046.2. We had version 1046 for a long long time before this 1046.2 came out and it sucked.. For me anyways.. So make sure you have 1046.2. Then, I would disable the Eco sensor and Start from the defaults settings in Standard mode first. I DO NOT mean to keep them here, just start from here and tweak to your liking. I really can't pin point why mine looks this amazing, but I will try and play around with settings to see what can be causing yours to not look more improved.
post #11542 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

++++100
This may be what's giving me these amazing black levels since I have this enabled now. It did dim the picture quite a bit, but I had to adjust the backght higher and other settings. The motion brightness is also helping I think.. With the black levels. Eco sensor is NOT helping both my 60" and 65" panels anymore like it used to.

LED Motion Plus On with Brightness at 45 and Contrast around 80-100 gives outstanding ANSI Contrast.

For color "wash-out" just raise the color level. Try Warm1 Color Temp.

Best part is no white clipping, no black crush and excellent shadow detail.

The Black level is inky..deep. Try Gamma -1.
post #11543 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

LED Motion Plus On with Brightness at 45 and Contrast around 80-100 gives outstanding ANSI Contrast.

For color "wash-out" just raise the color level. Try Warm1 Color Temp.

Best part is no white clipping, no black crush and excellent shadow detail.

The Black level is inky..deep. Try Gamma -1.

++500

Exactly dude! Great great advice!
post #11544 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM

Liked: 16
I'll try this on my 7100. What is ANSI contrast?
post #11545 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:

I agree man.. Hey, do you own a iPhone, or Apple TV? There's a awesome app called the THX and you can use it to calibrate your set. Its limited, but really cool. I agree about movie mode. Standard looks the best now. I added my cars to my pics. Just click on my dogs pic
post #11546 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danediz View Post

I'll try this on my 7100. What is ANSI contrast?

Real contrast measured on a black and white checkerboard (on screen at the same time).

Not the made-up contrast ratios manufacturers use to sell HDTVs.

Also not On-Off Contrast ratios helped by Samsung CE dimming (measuring an all black then an all white screen).
post #11547 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

I just tested Final destination in 3D ,Dred in3D,I have a copy of Death Race 3 non 3D I used our 2D to 3D conversion, No flashlighting or flickering that I can see.My 12 year old daughter was amazed with the picture really enjoyed it. Now she took over the TV watching Twilight 2D to 3D.LOL
post #11548 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi guys. My friend likes the look of the 60ES8000 and the 65ES8000. I'm doing the research for her. Seems sometimes the different sizes have their own problems. Anything to be concerned with with respect to those units? Thank you in advance. Cheers.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #11549 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Hi guys. My friend likes the look of the 60ES8000 and the 65ES8000. I'm doing the research for her. Seems sometimes the different sizes have their own problems. Anything to be concerned with with respect to those units? Thank you in advance. Cheers.

Panel lottery on all sizes, but the 60 inch seems to have better luck than the near universal issues with the 65 inch.

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
post #11550 of 16321 Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

++++100

Hey Anthony would you mind posting up your settings? Iam finding my foxtel wich is like Direct Tv in the US "Very Grainy at times" any suggestions guys on how to remove the graininess

Thanks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page