Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 391 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11701 of 16260 Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Love it guys! And you all know I hate FW updates almost as much as I hate taxes.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11702 of 16260 Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

8 months with this tv and I am still on the "honeymoon"...and that was before 1046.2...this fw actually makes me think the Evo kit will be amazing.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #11703 of 16260 Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

First forgive me, I'm typing on a phone because Internet is down.

Okay, so OCD Garnoch had to do a bunch of Eco Sensor/Motion Lighting tests tonight. Because Motion Lighting is supposedly enabled by motion and because I needed a lot of black on the screen, I decided to use the Apple TV. Also, this way I could use either the static main page or go to an album folder and see the album covers rotating across the left side of the screen. First I turned Eco off and went to the static front page, and Motion Lighting did nothing. Then I went to the moving albums page and Motion lighting dimmed the backlight. The I did the same tests with Eco on with the same results. Because a Motion Lighting worked on top of Eco though, the moving screen got a little too dark, so I bumped up Eco to compensate. By doing they though, the static page was now too bright because Motion Lighting wasn't effecting it.

So......
Eco Sensor dims the backlight based on ambient light. This can be turned on in Movie mode.
Motion Lighting dims the backlight based on any motion on the screen, not just fast motion, though I'm not sure if it is more drastic with faster motion. This can not be turned on I'm Movie mode.
CE Dimming dims the backlight when already dim scenes are in a program. This is on automatically on iin all basic modes except Movie mode.

In all three cases, the same effect would happen if you could manually adjust your backlight on the fly. smile.gif

I actually liked Motion Lighting but not as much when used with Eco. I'll probably stick with Eco though because of the changing lighting conditions in my house. I can see it being helpful in a man cave with constant ambient light though. Then again, because the screen really is always moving, just turning your backlight down may be more beneficial and use less processing, possibly creating less lag. Now that wouldn't be true though if Motion Lighting was also adding more to the supposed Micro Dimming on top of lowering the backlight. Who knows. In the past, I think I've only tested it on paused screens though so it's nice to see it does actually work.

The Garnoch has spoken smile.gif

I don't get the point of Motion Lighting. Why would I want the backlight to dim during motion on the screen? Oh well, I use Movie mode anyway.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #11704 of 16260 Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

I don't get the point of Motion Lighting. Why would I want the backlight to dim during motion on the screen? Oh well, I use Movie mode anyway.

I don't get it either. What does motion have to do with needing to dim the backlight ?

post #11705 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
New thread for xxES8000 calibration settings?

Jestered now got his meter, se we are all looking forward to see his calibration results. Also the meter which I sent out on loan is new being used. For those who do not know, I had a meter and in the past, I proposed that I will loan that meter to whoever in this thread who wants to try calibrating their xxEs8000 panel, and report the results. Aim is to get more solid calibration settings. The meter starts now to getting used, so we can expect some reports. If anyone else is interested, just PM me.
Question is: should we start a new thread for xxES8000 calibration settings?
- having those calibration reports in this thread might swamp this thread with calibration settings, and not all users might be interested in that.
- on the other hand, a separate thread waters down the focus.

I propose we just vote on it. Look for the last post with this topic containing the last vote, then reply with "Quote" button, and add your user name and "separate thread" or "not separate thread".
That way, the last reply should contain all the votes.
post #11706 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman123 View Post

Jestered now got his meter, se we are all looking forward to see his calibration results. Also the meter which I sent out on loan is new being used. For those who do not know, I had a meter and in the past, I proposed that I will loan that meter to whoever in this thread who wants to try calibrating their xxEs8000 panel, and report the results. Aim is to get more solid calibration settings. The meter starts now to getting used, so we can expect some reports. If anyone else is interested, just PM me.
- having those calibration reports in this thread might swamp this thread with calibration settings, and not all users might be interested in that.

I propose we just vote on it. Look for the last post with this topic containing the last vote, then reply with "Quote" button, and add your user name and "separate thread" or "not separate thread".

turboman123: separate thread
post #11707 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 01:07 AM

Location: Some where over the 4 or 5 hour freeway in LALA land
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post

I don't get it either. What does motion have to do with needing to dim the backlight ?

I really don't get it either. I tried playing around with it tonight to see if I can pin point what its doing and I can't. It doesnt make sense. Also, I have never even heard of anyone using this setting before. And when you look online, there's not many good explanations about it. Not only that, there's different descriptions in different places. I wish Samsung was more clear on exactly what these settings do and don't do, and which settings enables this Micro Dimming and which ones don't. I tried to get this info for everyone here back in Oct. I Tried over and over, call after call, and Sent many Emails to the Ofiice of the Presidents office asking them to please send my questions off to the engineers because there are many owners of these TVs that want to know these things so we can get the best out of these TVs. I was supposed to receive an Email with this info, but never did. Also, some other members on here sent some Emails to them as well with no response. So, this is why I just decided to try them out for myself and try to analyze what its doing and which settings help.

This is the description from one place on the two settings. This kinda makes me even more confused.

Motion Lighting: The TV automatically adjusts the brightness of the screen in response to the brightness of the room. In bright light, the screen brightens. In dim light, the screen dims.

Eco Sensor: Samsung's unique Eco light sensor measures the intensity of the room's light and automatically calibrates the brightness of the image on the screen. In a sun-filled environment, the screen gets brighter and in dim surroundings, the intensity is reduced. This feature optimizes the viewing experience while also saving you energy.
Energy Saver: This feature adjust the brightness of the TV in order to reduce power consumption. When watching TV at night, set the Energy Saver feature to High to reduce eye fatigue as well as power consumption. You can set this feature to High, Medium, Low, or Picture Off (sound remains on).
No Signal Standby: The TV will automatically switch to standby mode, if no picture is being received for a predetermined set amount of time (15, 30, or 60 minutes).
Auto Power Off: The TV will be automatically turn off after 4 hours of being left idle to prevent overheating.
post #11708 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 AM

1000: separate thread
post #11709 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:

I would agree a separate thread, but a lot of people here are already followimg the F8000 and Evo kit thread and its not easy keeping up with all these different threads..lol!

A few people have just told me that they are having a hard time just keeping up with this thread since its been so busy after the FW update. What's good about this forum is, if your looking for a specific post, its very easy to find it. There's a search area to search all the posts in this entire thread. Its also nice to do what Garnoch has done and add links to your avatars. Maybe that's the best place for users calibrated settings? I think another thread will make this awesome thread go downhill mad.gif there's not a lot of theses on a TV model as big as this one, and the bigger it is, the more people come here and visit it. It will die down very soon though I imagine since the Bladerunner update is in the past now
Bladerunner1959 likes this.
post #11710 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:

Jestered now got his meter, so we are all looking forward to see his calibration results. Also the meter which I sent out on loan is new being used. For those who do not know, I had a meter and in the past, I proposed that I will loan that meter to whoever in this thread who wants to try calibrating their xxEs8000 panel, and report the results. Aim is to get more solid calibration settings. The meter starts now to getting used, so we can expect some reports. If anyone else is interested, just PM me.

I propose we just vote on it. Look for the last post with this topic containing the last vote, then reply with "Quote" button, and add your user name and "separate thread" or "not separate thread" within the quote area.

anthony5362: not separate thread (that is how I understand your answer. is it correct?)
post #11711 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 02:33 AM

Liked: 10
hey guys sent a few photos to a calibrator and he thinks he can fix the issue with a calibration so ill go ahead with it and see how i go with it

we had done a few hings over the phone and also sent him pics of what we were getting so we decided to do a calibration. it will be about a week before it can get done, He has to travel 4hrs will also put him up for the night if he needs it wich i think he will

we have discussed it on the phone we got along really well he is very passionate about his work from what i can tell over the phone,

I will give you guys an update on the progress as i get it

Cheers
post #11712 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 AM

Are firmware versions named differently on different continents ? I just checked my updated firmware from last week and its 1019.0...no further updates are available according to the firmware update in the panel menu. I'm in Australia.

post #11713 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 AM

separate thread
post #11714 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 03:26 AM

Hi All,

New to this forum today as im looking to purchase a new 55" TV and until last night I had decided to get a 55ES8000, however I read across a review that mentioned about the stuttering issue and have been trying to find out more information about it ever since! Unfortunately I dont have the time to read 11720 posts lol! So I was hoping someone could give me an explanation of when it occurs and if it is fixable? i.e. does the latest 1046.2 firmware fix this problem? does turning off a particular setting/feature of the tv stop the stuttering? Does it only occur when watching a certain source of material e.g dvd, sky tv, usb stick? Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy
post #11715 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 57
:Jestered

maybe you can look here while working with HCFR...Or you can look here for another calculator

Panasonic TX-P42GT50E, Oppo 103, Schiit Vali, Denon AHD2000 + Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3, Phonak Audeo 121, Vsonic GR07, Fiio E17, Cowon S9, XLO cables :: CalMAN 5 Enthusiast,Chromapure Standard, i1D3, i1Display 2, TED's Calibration Blu Ray Disc v1.0 & v1.1
post #11716 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 AM

Quote:

Are firmware versions named differently on different continents ? I just checked my updated firmware from last week and its 1019.0...no further updates are available according to the firmware update in the panel menu. I'm in Australia.

Iam in AU aswell dude and iam on same FW

But i just thought id let you guys know i'am a Canadian from Cape Breton (Nova Scotia) moved to AUS 7 years ago

I look forward to having the TV calibrated in a weeks time

Thanks
post #11717 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey guys, after following this thread for a while and after seeing the recent positive feedback I have purchased a 55" es8000. Delivery is tomorrow so hopefully you haven't steered me wrong! I have been trying to find some settings to use but there is just so many on the forum. I'm watching in a dark room, and was chasing settings for movie and sports. I think I want settings based around the standard mode as opposed to movie. Thanks heaps!
post #11718 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbass View Post

Hey guys, after following this thread for a while and after seeing the recent positive feedback I have purchased a 55" es8000. Delivery is tomorrow so hopefully you haven't steered me wrong! I have been trying to find some settings to use but there is just so many on the forum. I'm watching in a dark room, and was chasing settings for movie and sports. I think I want settings based around the standard mode as opposed to movie. Thanks heaps!

Ibass where you from ? with thanks heaps at the end i take it either AUS or UK ?

if you are in AU / SA i can get you in touch with a great calibrator
post #11719 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Haha you gathered a lot from a little. I'm AU / WA. I would have appreciated the great calibrator! Where are you from?
post #11720 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosx77 View Post

Ibass where you from ? with thanks heaps at the end i take it either AUS or UK ?

if you are in AU / SA i can get you in touch with a great calibrator

That would be Aaron no doubt !
post #11721 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 05:02 AM

And if you start a new thread with calibration settings, what's going to happen when the Evo kit comes out and everyone updates to the Evo kit? I could care less, as I travel so much between the US and Italy and sometimes have to go on location when filming, but I'm thinking about the newbies that come here and the regulars here. So, either way is fine.

My suggestion would be if you don't do a separate thread, for everyone that has done their calibrations to do what Garnoch did and post them with a link to their Avatar.

Also a new thread would mean that certain member who was banned for their sarcasm and fighting with everyone would be posting there correct?
post #11722 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

Garnoch, if you get a meter we'll rarely see you around here. You'll chime in with new settings, but you won't be around for the normal chit chat. At least not for a few weeks.

Is it sad that I can't wait for the weekend so I can put time into this meter and my TV?

Yes, it is very sad I must say. But I'd be doing the same thing and would be falling asleep at work the next day so I can't talk. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

Lol! He would go through a lot of jacks that's for sure smile.gif

I don't think I could do it. I don't have the patience. Especially for 4 hours straight! I'd have no more hair in my head

Yes, quite a lot I'm sure. Anthony, you might punch your TV if you bought one. Ha, I can't remember who said that the other day, but that was freakin funny.
post #11723 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 AM

Lol! OH yes I probably would. Lol! I literally wouldn't have any hair left in my head having to focus that long on something like that smile.gif
post #11724 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:

Separate thread
post #11725 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbass View Post

Congrats and good luck!
As for settings, I can only give you tell you the ones that I think I can remember where they are. Turbos are for Movie mode and I think they are in post 8005. Nitra's can be found easily by clicking on my profile and you'll find a direct link. You're welcome to try one of my Standard settings too which can be found on my profile too or in my signature below this post.
post #11726 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Op's Guy View Post

Separate thread

Do you guys want a separate thread so a G can post there with sarcasm since they can't here? I'm just curious about this, because this is a awesome thread that became like its own little community thanks to Garnoch and others putting tireless time into it
Bladerunner1959 likes this.
post #11727 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by turboman123

Jestered now got his meter, so we are all looking forward to see his calibration results. Also the meter which I sent out on loan is new being used. For those who do not know, I had a meter and in the past, I proposed that I will loan that meter to whoever in this thread who wants to try calibrating their xxEs8000 panel, and report the results. Aim is to get more solid calibration settings. The meter starts now to getting used, so we can expect some reports. If anyone else is interested, just PM me.

I propose we just vote on it. Look for the last post with this topic containing the last vote, then reply with "Quote" button, and add your user name and "separate thread" or "not separate thread" within the quote area.

anthony5362: not separate thread (that is how I understand your answer. is it correct?)

Because another thread does water down focus and I don't think we need two threads for the same TV, I will vote against it. If you're worried about settings getting lost in this thread, it will be no different in a new thread - unless of course no one converses in that thread and it is simply a list of settings.
post #11728 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch View Post

Because another thread does water down focus and I don't think we need two threads for the same TV, I will vote against it. If you're worries about settings getting lost in this thread, it will be no different in a new thread - unless of course no one converses in that thread and it is simply a list of settings.

++++900000000

Same here! This thread has turned into a awesome little community of its own because of Garnoch and others here. This would just ruin it. So I vote against it also and I hope others really think about this hard before they vote for it

guys, the Evo kits right around the corner. Who wants to have to check like 3 different thread for their TV? That's just wrong to have others have to do that. Plus also remember, there were members banned here. Both start with a G and they will be able to post in this new thread
post #11729 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362 View Post

++++900000000

Same here! This thread has turned into a awesome little community of its own because of Garnoch and others here. This would just ruin it. So I vote against it also and I hope others really think about this hard before they vote for it

guys, the Evo kits right around the corner. Who wants to have to check like 3 different thread for their TV? That's just wrong to have others have to do that. Plus also remember, there were members banned here. Both start with a G and they will be able to post in this new thread

not separate thread ... This thread and community is effing awesome...best ever since I've been on from 2002ish... This is what would happen to the OPPO which is cult-like!!! LOL

post #11730 of 16260 Old 02-06-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

not separate thread ... This thread and community is effing awesome...best ever since I've been on from 2002ish... This is what would happen to the OPPO which is cult-like!!! LOL

My loyal Bladerunner and Garnoch, and Ricosuave! Love you guys man! biggrin.gif

No ones answering my question if this new thread is so the two G's can post in there since they can't in here.. Hmm! I will take that as a yes then. Guys please rethink this. This means G' Oline will be there also. Just post your calibrations like The celebrity in here, Garnoch has done. Its that simple. You can re toast them from time to time like Nitra does when he pops in here
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page