Forum Jump: 

post #12331 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyGod View Post

Hi all, so I finally purchased a UN46ES8000. (I love the TV) I am mainly using the TV as my PC/Steam Big Picture monitor. But I have a problem when viewing 3D movies in Media Player Classic. This did not happen with my old Samsung PN51D8000. When I watch a movie in 3D and hit the 3D button to combine the images as one I get these weird long rectangle boxes on both sides of my screen. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Let me also note that the 3D is focused and looks fine while watching any movie. I know it is not a ghosting issue. It just those boxes make the image in those sections look darker or lighter compared to everything else.

Thanks all.

I can't comment on the movie 3d since i only have 1 & it never showed those rectangle sides.I can say that moving from my pn50c8000 for 3d is definitely better on this TV & also gaming is better, send me an invite on steam, same name as here "OugaBooga".I am sure u are loving your pc gaming on this es8000 smile.gif

SEK-2000/ZA....Any GOOD ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12332 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

I went ahead and did the 1047 update. My tv found it when I searched for a new update just now

I was a little hesitant to update beyond any possible point updates as I also was very happy with 1046. But I figured what the hey, I'll be getting the Evo Kit and it will upgrade/update everything anyway so I'm not exactly going to be shutting my tv off to the world and staying on 1046 forever

I can say with a decent amount of confidence that there is no degradation in picture quality with this new update. I was worried that anything besides 1046 would be a step down, but thats not the case. I checked out a few HD channels including NFL network and it looked about the same. Now I've turned it back to the SD channel I was on before updating and it appears as though the black bars on the sides of the screen are noticeably darker. Could be my imagination but maybe someone else can confirm

I'm using 10K's movie mode settings. I prefer more of a standard mode picture processing in Movie Mode so I've got Black Enhancer ON and Dynamic Conrast on LOW (this is how you enable MDUltimate in Movie mode according to what David K. wrote in his calibration in the CNET picture settings forum) Very happy with the results

Gamer, good stuff. I held tight for 7 months on my original FW and was extremely happy with the pic and very patient. Right now, on fw 1046.2, the pic quality on my 60" 8000 hs01 panel is the very best picture I have ever seen in my life on any tv....trust me, its not like i'm cruising in dynamic or natural modes and torching the room. Just loving it so i'll sit on the sidelines and observe 1047 feedback for quite a while.

Hey all, did Anthony get a forced temporary retirement from our community?

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #12333 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaedwards View Post

Hi all does anyone know the default Values in the service menu for the ADC result for HDMI regards Anthony

I can get you those values, but will have to wait until later when I get home from the office. Did you happen to run the HDMI calibration in the service menu? If so, it's going to screw your picture, but going back to factory ADC values will get you back where you were. I'd stay out of the service menu. There's nothing you can do in there but mess things up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12334 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 AM

Liked: 14
would love to update FW but i hate there's no info on what they've done.
I remember there was a FW update i blindly jumped on for my plasma in 2011 which messed things up.
Eventually they fixed it but it was 2 long updates later before things worked out.
Reading these threads reminds me of how to wait it out a bit cause i can't reverse the update.

SEK-2000/ZA....Any GOOD ?
post #12335 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by OugaBooga View Post

I remember there was a FW update i blindly jumped on for my plasma in 2011 which messed things up.
Eventually they fixed it but it was 2 long updates later before things worked out.
Reading these threads reminds me of how to wait it out a bit cause i can't reverse the update.

Correctomundo - - if memory serves me, wasn't there a firmware update back in November, 2012, that did the same thing? It hosed the colors on my Sammy 65" as well as a lot of other folks sets.

But - - I did the latest update last night and everything looks great! Hopefully, Samsung won't have a repeat of the firmware update they did last year.

Of course, it would be nice to see what they really did in the firmware update but I'm not holding my breath. Nor am I complaining at this point as long as the picture stays "stone cold gorgeous!"

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #12336 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

My TV updated itself last night, I didn't notice any apparent changes in my picture but I will go ahead and remeasure this new firmware against prior using my 2/14/2013 movie mode settings this weekend.

One thing I am hoping is fixed is my TV not being able to see the DLNA server on my HDHomerun Prime via Allshare...

(Last update 5/20/13)

post #12337 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by OugaBooga View Post

Why do they do that? camera manufacturers release change logs as do any computer manufacturer for their motherboard updates. It's one of the reasons I leave auto updates off.
post #12338 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 07:32 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

My TV updated itself last night, I didn't notice any apparent changes in my picture but I will go ahead and remeasure this new firmware against prior using my 2/14/2013 movie mode settings this weekend.

One thing I am hoping is fixed is my TV not being able to see the DLNA server on my HDHomerun Prime via Allshare...

Excellent, was going to ask if you'd updated for these new settings; can't wait to see what you find. I'm guessing/hoping this update more had to do with networking stuff, and any picture stuff was left alone, fingers crossed...

post #12339 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
A weird thing happened on my TV last night. The night before last I watched the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit live telecast from Ceasar's Palace using the browser in Smarthub (what a PIA that is to use via the touch remote). It was advertised as "3D" but it wasn't. Last night I put in a BD of the old Disney film Peter Pan (not 3D). Use a Samsung BD/3D player to my AVR to TV HDMI2 as always. Immediately it says I'm watching in 3D but I can switch to 2D by hitting the back button. I couldn't that with the BD remote. It goes on to start in some weird 3D picture. I could pair the glasses, but watching wasn't 3D. And the movie was way bigger than the screen. When I went to Movie the backlight was turned up to 20, and the Fit Picture option was greyed out. The BD picture option wasn't there. It's like the BD player took over the TV settings. Took BD out, restarted, same thing. Finally I did a"battery pull" and unplugged the BD player and it started just fine. It automatically choosed the BD viewing mode which I actually like. I have no idea what happened but I suspect it has something to do with watching that webcast via the browser the night before. Ideas?

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #12340 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Rico,
Do you notice anything different or improved with FW 1047?

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #12341 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Well, after a late night of calibrating I can say that I'm done with this set.....it is very close to where I want it to be in movie mode. The blue and red are out a bit in the CMS and there is no way around this with my set. I just wanted to keep the "de" as low as possible and gamma flat at 2.2 and 6500K. I took a quick set of reading's with FW 1046.2 then with 1047. There was no noticeable changes in the readings. I am using Calman 5.0.4 software / SpectraCal C-6 meter profiled to a X-rite i1Pro meter/ SpectraCal DPG 2000 pattern generator/ Getgray calibration disk. I will post the charts below.

Final setting's Movie Mode / Warm2. The most boring 3:00 minute video of the settings . smile.gif

Starting point with what looked good to my eyes. smile.gif

Grey Scale and Color Temp pre-cal.

Grey Scale and Color Temp post-cal.

CMS Pre-Cal measurements

CMS Post-Cal measurements

Finished Chart

Rick
post #12342 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 09:07 AM

Awesome, RickS, thanks for sharing! If you don't mind, I'll add your settings to the doc.

post #12343 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Please feel free to add them. smile.gif

Rick
post #12344 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post

Will do wink.gif Once they're in there, feel free to edit the notes section if you feel anything else needs to be added, thanks again.

post #12345 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Forgive me guys: where is it that I can find out shared doc?

post #12346 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post

Quote:

Will do wink.gif Once they're in there, feel free to edit the notes section if you feel anything else needs to be added, thanks again.

And they're up. One thing I couldn't make out in the vid was Black Enhancer, which I assume was probably off, correct? That and your eco settings.

post #12347 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

Forgive me guys: where is it that I can find out shared doc?

It's in my sig, feel free to share wink.gif

post #12348 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And they're up. One thing I couldn't make out in the vid was Black Enhancer, which I assume was probably off, correct? That and your eco settings.

BE and Eco =off

Rick
post #12349 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, after a late night of calibrating I can say that I'm done with this set.....it is very close to where I want it to be in movie mode. The blue and red are out a bit in the CMS and there is no way around this with my set. I just wanted to keep the "de" as low as possible and gamma flat at 2.2 and 6500K. I took a quick set of reading's with FW 1046.2 then with 1047. There was no noticeable changes in the readings. I am using Calman 5.0.4 software / SpectraCal C-6 meter profiled to a X-rite i1Pro meter/ SpectraCal DPG 2000 pattern generator/ Getgray calibration disk. I will post the charts below.

Final setting's Movie Mode / Warm2. The most boring 3:00 minute video of the settings . smile.gif
Nice job with the calibration and thanks for sharing! I know you mentioned that standard mode is very difficult to calibrate, but im wondering maybe if we found the right set of apl patterns it might defeat all the dynamic dimming/etc features and we could get a good result?

(Last update 5/20/13)

post #12350 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 10:43 AM

Thanks to all the great contributors, this thread is really going places with good feedback, lack of personal attacks and helpful collaboration. We come from a lot of different places and backgrounds but it takes a village to raise a Samsung and it's been going really well lately. Galonzo has done a great job of coordinating the spreadsheet doc and it's already helpful to see differences between default and calibrated settings. I encourage more of you to post your settings on the doc or maybe pass them on to Galonzo with any notes you have (but don't overwhelm him with work). We'd be happy to see professional calibration tools as well as the human eye tool behind your best settings so we can compare them. The comparisons will improve if there are sets of settings for each size model.

Galonzo - if we hopefully get many submissions, you might consider putting 65" on sheet 1, 60" on sheet 2, etc. I'm guessing that the posted defaults are the same for all size models, since they all share the same FW version? However, we already have a new firmware and I wonder if that changes any defaults? I could check that down the road on my 65" panel since I probably won't update for another couple of weeks. Cheers and thanks, everyone.
post #12351 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

I can get you those values, but will have to wait until later when I get home from the office. Did you happen to run the HDMI calibration in the service menu? If so, it's going to screw your picture, but going back to factory ADC values will get you back where you were. I'd stay out of the service menu. There's nothing you can do in there but mess things up.

Thanks Jestered that would be excellent if you can. Also can you tell me what type your tv is in the service menu because mine is showing 40A2UF1E which is different to my last set which was 40A2UFOE regards Anthony
post #12352 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian55 View Post

Thanks to all the great contributors, this thread is really going places with good feedback, lack of personal attacks and helpful collaboration. We come from a lot of different places and backgrounds but it takes a village to raise a Samsung and it's been going really well lately. Galonzo has done a great job of coordinating the spreadsheet doc and it's already helpful to see differences between default and calibrated settings. I encourage more of you to post your settings on the doc or maybe pass them on to Galonzo with any notes you have (but don't overwhelm him with work). We'd be happy to see professional calibration tools as well as the human eye tool behind your best settings so we can compare them. The comparisons will improve if there are sets of settings for each size model.

Galonzo - if we hopefully get many submissions, you might consider putting 65" on sheet 1, 60" on sheet 2, etc. I'm guessing that the posted defaults are the same for all size models, since they all share the same FW version? However, we already have a new firmware and I wonder if that changes any defaults? I could check that down the road on my 65" panel since I probably won't update for another couple of weeks. Cheers and thanks, everyone.

Right, I mentioned before that everyone should add their settings and note how they arrived at them, room conditions, etc. for the sake of comparison among similar panels; and like Canadian55 said, I'll gladly enter anyone's who would like to share theirs.

The idea about putting the different sizes into separate sheets is perfect, plus I think we should keep all settings in the first "Master" sheet. From adding in RickS's 1047 settings, I see he was able to have film mode set to auto2, which from everyone else's settings from 1046 it appears it was greyed out?

post #12353 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Galonzo - - really, really good show with the settings and Excel spreadsheet.

Above and beyond the call of duty. Yeoman's work!

Thanks very much for this helpful document. And thanks to all the calibrators who have really made this thread very special.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #12354 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Galonzo - - really, really good show with the settings and Excel spreadsheet.

Above and beyond the call of duty. Yeoman's work!

Thanks very much for this helpful document. And thanks to all the calibrators who have really made this thread very special.

Glad to be a part of this great community, and thanks also goes to Canadian55 for originally tabulating his default settings into a doc I was able to create the ss from. Hardly Yeoman's work, but thanks for the compliment!

Cheers

post #12355 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks for the cal settings. I noticed that both Rick and 10k have their Blue Gain almost to zero (Rick's is at zero). Why do you think that is when the default is probably 25? I do remember seeing on the PreCal color chart the blue line is way higher than the other 2. Does the blue gain basically lower that?

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #12356 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Best community on the Forum period.
prsut likes this.

post #12357 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

Nice job with the calibration and thanks for sharing! I know you mentioned that standard mode is very difficult to calibrate, but im wondering maybe if we found the right set of apl patterns it might defeat all the dynamic dimming/etc features and we could get a good result?

Well, at this time I will not be doing any more experimenting with the "Standard" mode. My set just doesn't look that good without the "10 pt" mode available. I spent 3-4 hrs trying with standard mode and could not get the results I was looking for. frown.gif

Quote:

Right, I mentioned before that everyone should add their settings and note how they arrived at them, room conditions, etc. for the sake of comparison among similar panels; and like Canadian55 said, I'll gladly enter anyone's who would like to share theirs.

The idea about putting the different sizes into separate sheets is perfect, plus I think we should keep all settings in the first "Master" sheet. From adding in RickS's 1047 settings, I see he was able to have film mode set to auto2, which from everyone else's settings from 1046 it appears it was greyed out?

There are few things to note when I use a Spectracal DPG2000 pattern generator. The HDMI handshake with (for example) HD Sat box does not allow me to set auto2/ HDMI black level (Normal,Low). The pattern generator for some reason allows these settings. It is a HDMI communication thing between equipment. To calibrate my ES8000 I have to set the pattern generator to Low (16-235) for HDMI black level. This is because the TV thinks its a PC (0-255) and allows the setting. smile.gif

Rick
post #12358 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

Thanks for the cal settings. I noticed that both Rick and 10k have their Blue Gain almost to zero (Rick's is at zero). Why do you think that is when the default is probably 25? I do remember seeing on the PreCal color chart the blue line is way higher than the other 2. Does the blue gain basically lower that?

Blue "Gain" adjusts the high end on the RGB balance. Blue "Offset" does the bottom end but, they do tend to interact with each other somewhat.

Rick
post #12359 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:

There are few things to note when I use a Spectracal DPG2000 pattern generator. The HDMI handshake with (for example) HD Sat box does not allow me to set auto2/ HDMI black level (Normal,Low). The pattern generator for some reason allows these settings. It is a HDMI communication thing between equipment. To calibrate my ES8000 I have to set the pattern generator to Low (16-235) for HDMI black level. This is because the TV thinks its a PC (0-255) and allows the setting. smile.gif

Ah, maybe worth mentioning in the notes section; I was figuring it might be the new firmware, since 10k mentions his source actually is a PC outputting 0-255, yet his film mode was also greyed out? I jotted your settings from your vid (great idea, btw); were you flipping through them while on a different source?

post #12360 of 16240 Old 02-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah the video is shaking because 1 hand for video from Samsung S3 phone the other with remote. smile.gif I like the video on YouTube because I can go back to it if a reset is done. The film mode (auto2) I think shows up because I didn't have the HD Sat box powered on. I will check it tonight and see if gets greyed out when powered on.

Rick
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page