Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 472 - AVS Forum
First ... 470  471  472 473  474  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread
PiratesCove's Avatar PiratesCove 06:08 PM 03-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

My jaw is on the floor. It truly does just come down to who you speak to. I went through months of hassle before I got anywhere.

+2, Truly exceptional, my current exchange was put-off as the local repair company, ordered another panel- despite my tech's recommendation for an exchange.

I talked with Samsung ECR and this blocked my chances for an exchange, now I'm back to the panel lottery.

Good news is that if the next is also bad my exchange gets automatic approval and that will be when more F models are in stock.

Fast GTO's Avatar Fast GTO 07:43 PM 03-29-2013
Got my 55", very nice TV but it does have clouding and spot lighting.

My XBR4 also had these issues.
OugaBooga's Avatar OugaBooga 09:06 PM 03-29-2013
HAHAHAHAHA, DAMN !!!!!, i SOOO want something to go wrong & GET lucky with a F series :P while i have a warranty
biggrin.gif

Last review i remember is 40ms F series versus 31(odd)ms ES series for gaming.
Fast GTO's Avatar Fast GTO 09:42 PM 03-29-2013
Where do I get the test images to get a good picture of clouding etc...?

BTW, the smart remote that comes with the TV is useless garbage. Especially the touch pad section.
Fast GTO's Avatar Fast GTO 10:09 PM 03-29-2013
Here's some examples of my clouding. No banding.

cmay91472's Avatar cmay91472 10:59 PM 03-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post

White screen looks great, clouding not too bad, but you do have at least three wide verticsl bands on the grey screen.
Halimali's Avatar Halimali 02:45 AM 03-30-2013
I can see little clouding in the third and fourth picture in the left side, but it is minimal in the picture. I personally wouldnt mind that. It is hardly noticeable in the pic. Not sure how is it in real
Fast GTO's Avatar Fast GTO 06:44 AM 03-30-2013
I noticed with a lot of the custom settings in this thread that the picture starts to get a grey tint to it. Especially the movie modes and the picture loses some color punch. Most noticeable with whites.

I"ve found that using color calibration from this thread and then adjusting contrast, backlight, and brightest for my personal preference has given me the most pleasant images.
Bladerunner1959's Avatar Bladerunner1959 07:39 AM 03-30-2013
Fast GTO, your pics look pretty good to me as far as dialing in the panel well and probably not seeing much "contraband".

Based on your pic IMO you would have to struggle to see banding unless one of Tiger Woods' drives hangs up in the sky...for ever.

Your light clouds on the corner is just that, as opposed to defined flashlights. Like you I do prefer a little more pop to the pic while trying to achieve a realistic and color-correct picture.

GTO's rock! I only have a diecast...
cmay91472's Avatar cmay91472 08:08 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

Fast GTO, your pics look pretty good to me as far as dialing in the panel well and probably not seeing much "contraband".

Based on your pic IMO you would have to struggle to see banding unless one of Tiger Woods' drives hangs up in the sky...for ever.

Your light clouds on the corner is just that, as opposed to defined flashlights. Like you I do prefer a little more pop to the pic while trying to achieve a realistic and color-correct picture.

GTO's rock! I only have a diecast...

I probably should have mentioned that the banding in his grey screen is not an issue, especially since those same bands do not carry over to the white screen which looked great. If the bands carried over.... then it might have been an issue.

It was late, so I kind of forgot to add that after commenting on the white and grey images posted.
fiddler11's Avatar fiddler11 09:45 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:

[IMG ALT=""]http://www.avsforum.co Is this the 65. If so which version. That screen looks awesome compared to mine.

Halimali's Avatar Halimali 10:50 AM 03-30-2013
A question to all the owners of ES8000. I hope someone have an answer
Are you able to enable or disable cinema black with the latest FW? If yes, is it applicable on all modes or a particular mode?

Appreciate it
Bladerunner1959's Avatar Bladerunner1959 11:14 AM 03-30-2013
Hi Halimali, shoot over to the F8000 thread and we do our best to answers. Quickly, we believe cinema black is enabled on es in both modes and not switchable on or off. Buy an es....see below
Bladerunner1959's Avatar Bladerunner1959 11:19 AM 03-30-2013
Halimali, I will do my best as I am humbled by my buddy Cmays' endorsement.

I use both standard and movie modes. They are very close in their settings however the difference is Movie provides more accurate colors (most noticeable in greens and reds) and an edge in color separation and sharper color detail however intermittent flashlight is there but I am mostly in movie mode due to its overall amazing pic. Standard has zero flashlight.

I (we) would just need to experiment with color settings in standard mode in effort to get std color closer to movie color. That said its subtle and if someone switched my tv modes I nay not notice it until I saw alot of greenery , jungles..golf etc, and realized the green push.

I use warm1 color in std and standard color tone in movie mode.

That said, I saw the f8000 and absolutely think the pricing is on the es is way to good to pass up. The es is amazing, a top 5 panel on the planet at worse right now at any price point. I don't think there will be much ES availability when pricing is close.

There have been many sparring between us all about that top group of panels out there...and that's a great thing.

At same price or a minimal surcharge sure I would grab an F, but at the difference in pricing now, no way !!!

Like you, I just want a "dumb" panel with a great pic because I do all streaming from Sammy smarthub via my bd-e6500 which is updated to all apps.

I hope this helps.
Halimali's Avatar Halimali 11:20 AM 03-30-2013
Quote:

Hi Halimali, shoot over to the F8000 thread and we do our best to answers. Quickly, we believe cinema black is enabled on es in both modes and not switchable on or off. Buy an es.

OK, thank you. So that means user have no control over it and it is always enabled
Halimali's Avatar Halimali 11:33 AM 03-30-2013
T
Quote:

Halimali, I will do my best as I am humbled by my buddy Cmays' endorsement.

I use both standard and movie modes. They are very close in their settings however the difference is Movie provides more accurate colors (most noticeable in greens and reds) and an edge in color separation and sharper color detail however intermittent flashlight is there but I am mostly in movie mode due to its overall amazing pic. Standard has zero flashlight.

I (we) would just need to experiment with color settings in standard mode in effort to get std color closer to movie color. That said its subtle and if someone switched my tv modes I nay not notice it until I saw alot of greenery , jungles..golf etc, and realized the green push.

I use warm1 color in std and standard color tone in movie mode.

That said, I saw the f8000 and absolutely think the pricing is on the es is way to good to pass up. The es is amazing, a top 5 panel on the planet at worse right now at any price point. I don't think there will be much ES availability when pricing is close.

There have been many sparring between us all about that top group of panels out there...and that's a great thing.

At same price or a minimal surcharge sure I would grab an F, but at the difference in pricing now, no way !!!

Like you, I just want a "dumb" panel with a great pic because I do all streaming from Sammy smarthub via my bd-e6500 which is updated to all apps.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much for the explanation. I really appreciate it.
Same here I'm looking for a dumb TV as well. I just need a stunning picture quality.
My PC is hooked to my TV and I use XBMC. I also have Oppo bluray player and a huge collection of BDs and DVDs. So im in no need for all those smart features

I have seen the ES8000 in stores and really liked its colors, sharpness and brightness but what made me hesitate was the stories of flashlights, clouding etc and heard these problems were no more in the new model or at least less. That is why I have been wondering if these issues in ES8000 could be minimized with tweaking the settings.

I have been considering F8000 and F8500 but was wondering the difference between the ES8000 and the F8000 other than the smart hub and features, hence asked the question.

Thank you again for your reply
Bladerunner1959's Avatar Bladerunner1959 11:55 AM 03-30-2013
A pleasure to assist Halimali. If money was not an issue at all I'd still have to do careful comparison because I am not sure, based on my first viewing of the F 55" , that it is a superior tv.

Samsung to me provides the very best pic out there with regard to qualities such as realism clean clear sharp depth detail and color.
sillycargt4cs's Avatar sillycargt4cs 02:21 PM 03-30-2013
I keep experiencing a blank/black screen on startup and I can't get a picture unless I turn it back on again
Anyone else suffered this
eagle_2's Avatar eagle_2 03:34 PM 03-30-2013
Quote:

The es is amazing, a top 5 panel on the planet at worse right now at any price point. I don't think there will be much ES availability when pricing is close.

I guess personal experiences may differ, but based on the clouding and 3D banding on my ES panel, I would not consider the ES series even close to the top at this point. The "V" clouding alone is inexcusable on these sets.

I realize not everyone seems to have that issue, for some reason.
1000's Avatar 1000 03:46 PM 03-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I guess personal experiences may differ, but based on the clouding and 3D banding on my ES panel, I would not consider the ES series even close to the top at this point. The "V" clouding alone is inexcusable on these sets.

I realize not everyone seems to have that issue, for some reason.

I think the ES series holds up against the competition pretty well. It is just as good and in some ways better than my Kuro.

Bladerunner1959's Avatar Bladerunner1959 04:02 PM 03-30-2013
1000, very well said.

Eagle, knowing your customer experience being less than stellar I get where you are coming from.
Bladerunner1959's Avatar Bladerunner1959 07:01 PM 03-30-2013
Watching "the Hobbit" 2d in movie mode and I have not seen flashlights.

Maybe fw 1046.2 was better than I ever thought. I do see flashlight when at the bluray player menu, but not when actually playing a bluray. Weird but good weird. I need to observe more going forward.

3d still shows flaslight but backlight is on 20 in movie or standard so no surprise there.
OugaBooga's Avatar OugaBooga 11:07 PM 03-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjcat View Post

Here is my "new" panel clouding, this is the second day after the repair guys pit it in. Any idea whether this is acceptable?

Star wars vs samsung: The clouding is strong with this 1 biggrin.gif

Question is does it bother u while watching a movie or gaming?
If you don't notice it in full screen movie/game watching then why worry?
OugaBooga's Avatar OugaBooga 11:30 PM 03-30-2013
Quote:

the movie pic's are fine, nothing bad with movie pic's.
I am starting to think ppl are going CRAZY !!! looking for every possibility to return a tv or complain about.
1000's Avatar 1000 02:19 AM 03-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by OugaBooga View Post

Star wars vs samsung: The clouding is strong with this 1 biggrin.gif

Question is does it bother u while watching a movie or gaming?
If you don't notice it in full screen movie/game watching then why worry?

Dude, just a question, is the clouding there when you view the panel front on ? You are taking pics fromthe sides here.. Not exactly a good way to assess clouding.. The panel washes out from the sides .. After all its it LCD panel.

Yasmin's Avatar Yasmin 06:05 AM 03-31-2013
Hi Everyone, please hope someone has the time to post me a reply as am confused/disappointed with my Es8000 and wonder if its just me (doing something wrong) or is my expensive TV faulty:

Recently acquired ES8000 55".
It’s still running the initial firmware, not done any upgrades.

On a positive, the picture in 2D is truly fantastic. Even SD material looks good on such a large TV.
Negatives are that there are so many picture settings!!! Its mind blowing!
Like anyone, I do love to have control and do like tweaking things.
But I haven't a clue what some of these setting are. There’s no real explanation other than a basic to say what difference it causes. I can hardly see the difference, when these settings are switched on. Is there a more in-depth technical explanation of the settings in an ES8000????

The reason I ask is I want to calibrate it myself, using my own sight, but not knowing what actual impact some of these setting have (or the technical info) is like stumbling around in the darkness.

Another issue I have noticed (especially with a movie called 'Flushed Away' which has various bright and dark scenes), when there is a dark scene (in the sewers scene), the TV starts automatically altering the contrast, brightness, as if its trying to somehow find the right setting for the picture. 99% of the time, it makes the image too worse. Its if the contrast is turned very low, and that the picture is even darker than it would have been if the settings remained fixed. How do I disable this self adjusting? I've looked through the setting and switched almost all obvious things off, so the TV doesn't do its own thing, but it still does. Could it be that I am still using the first firmware and this is a known problem that can be fixed?

My second issue is the 3D content.
Most of my 3D content is MKV files from a friend, mostly H-SBS. I think they are good quality as all claim to be 1080p and the file size can vary from 8GB to 15GB. Some are movies, others documentaries, others animation.

When in the shop, I asked for these to be demo'd several times, and they looked awesome! This was via the USB socket on the TV. Amazing depth and no cross talk. In comparison to the top of the range LG (which did look better in some ways), overall, the ES8000 had an amazing 3D image.

When I got the new TV, the same 3D movies are showing a crazy amount of cross talk, to the point it hurts your head. This isn't anything like what I experienced in the shop. I tinkered with the settings, which altered some elements, but the crosstalk was still excessive. Even the default 'auto' settings, continues to show excessive ghosting making it’s difficult to watch. It was that bad, my daughter refused to look at the TV with the glasses as it was causing her a headache, yet in the store, I couldn't get her away from the TV. Am I doing something wrong?

The only difference as to how I am sourcing the 3D movies to the television (in the store, it was simply a case of putting them on a USB and attaching them to the TV), is that I am using a laptop, connected to the TV via HDMI, using the latest version of XBMC. I reiterated, the 2D movies are great, but the 3D content....urggh! I am going to try and the 3D movies via the USB later today. But in the meantime, is using a PC/laptop a poor means of transferring the source to the TV? Could it be the XBMC software?

Maybe there’s a proper display driver (for Windows 7) to get the ES8000 to connect properly to the laptop? If so, where do I get it from?

I hope you can help. I have a slightly disappointed daughter, who I need to make happy again.
Fast GTO's Avatar Fast GTO 07:29 AM 03-31-2013
My picture doesn't do a good job of showing the clouding. I have the 'V' patterned clouding at the bottom center of the screen and another pronounced cloud in the top left (while facing screen). Clear enough that during end credits and dark scenes I can see it (saw it during lots of cave scenes in the Hobbit). Also, in letterbox the top and bottom bands are simple not black. They are clearly lit like a flashlight. Worse than my XBR4. The picture quality is very good, but the clouding/flashlighting is distracting in dark scenes.

Think I am going to try a Viera plasma VT50 or GT50, only reason I didn't go that route to start was because I watch a lot of cable TV and was concerned about image retention of logo's.

I thought this picture showed it, but maybe my laptop screen is better than some:

2ba3e2ac_IMG_9705.jpeg
Halimali's Avatar Halimali 07:40 AM 03-31-2013
Quote:

My picture doesn't do a good job of showing the clouding. I have the 'V' patterned clouding at the bottom center of the screen and another pronounced cloud in the top left (while facing screen). Clear enough that during end credits and dark scenes I can see it (saw it during lots of cave scenes in the Hobbit). Also, in letterbox the top and bottom bands are simple not black. They are clearly lit like a flashlight. Worse than my XBR4. The picture quality is very good, but the clouding/flashlighting is distracting in dark scenes.

Think I am going to try a Viera plasma VT50 or GT50, only reason I didn't go that route to start was because I watch a lot of cable TV and was concerned about image retention of logo's.

I thought this picture showed it, but maybe my laptop screen is better than some:

2ba3e2ac_IMG_9705.jpeg

The right side of the TV seems to be excellent and I cannot even see where the TV ends but on the left side the clouding is very apparent. Don't know how this would look in dark scenes but it is on both top and bottom
Fast GTO's Avatar Fast GTO 07:50 AM 03-31-2013
^yes, that is where I see it. And on my laptop I can see the left and right edges clearly.

M17x with 7970 GPU
Halimali's Avatar Halimali 08:24 AM 03-31-2013
Quote:

^yes, that is where I see it. And on my laptop I can see the left and right edges clearly.

M17x with 7970 GPU

Have you tried tweaking the settings?
In which mode is this?
Tags: Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
First ... 470  471  472 473  474  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop