Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 478 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2013, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I got my Denon 1913 receiver today. Is there a way to get all my devices working via 1 remote now (other than a Harmony). I have a Direct TV box, Sony Bravia 3d blu-ray player, PS3, XB360, iPhone & iPad. I'd like to get rid of the 4 remotes I have on my coffee table now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamenoskili View Post

Check the sound settings on the TV menu, you might have to turn on external speakers or turn off internal speaker, don't really remember and I'm not close to my TV, I'll update my post once I get home.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX HD - Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGala View Post

Additionally, make sure HDMI Control is set to "on" on your AVR.

Thanks i was able to make it work! Now im able to watch movies with my HDD through the external speakers! woohoo!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echovolk View Post

So I got my Denon 1913 receiver today. Is there a way to get all my devices working via 1 remote now (other than a Harmony). I have a Direct TV box, Sony Bravia 3d blu-ray player, PS3, XB360, iPhone & iPad. I'd like to get rid of the 4 remotes I have on my coffee table now.
You can get the Samsung touch remote to work the Direct TV box, and probably the BD player. I doubt it will work the Denon or the game consoles. I use mine for my cable STB controller, and the TV itself. Can you spell Harmony?

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarob View Post

I had bought my Samsung HLT5689 56" DLP for around $1200.00 that was on a clearance sale. This was my second HD TV and the guy with the Kuro had never owned one before. He always commented on how much he enjoyed the my HD TVs but didn't have disposable cash to buy a big screen TV. Finally, he did get the money and went shopping. He's "Jonesy" kind of guy so he had to one-up me. Hence his purchase of the Kuro. In addition to that, he "WAS" a brainwashed plasma advocate despite his utter lack of experience with them.

I had owned an HLP5663 for almost nine years up until last month. I bought the 5689 because I found out DLPs of that size and smaller were no longer being made by Samsung. I've always liked DLPs so I jumped on this one. Excuse my rambling but my point is that my 5689 is still functioning perfectly and hasn't caused me a moment's grief in four years so far. Picture performance, at least to me, is excellent and all I put out was $1200.00. My friend spent five times as much for the Kuro and it's already beginning to fail. I don't know about you folks but $1500.00/yr or even more because it's been doing it for almost a year already. So, in reality, it's more like $2000.00/yr for a trouble free TV. To add insult to injury, Pioneer isn't doing anything about it. What I paid for my UN60ES would cover the cost for a bit over one year of trouble free Kuro 60" ownership.

I'd be more than a little upset to shell out that kind of money, and have the TV malfunction in three years. I think he's suffering more than a little "buyer's remorse" and I'm confident that his love for plasma TV is somewhat diminished.

I got mine from the Pioneer clearance centre with 1300 hours on it after they stopped making them. I have to say it hasn't missed a beat but it is now relegated to bedroom duties upstairs. One day I walked into a store and they had a Pioneer display and a 60" Kuro calibrated... The picture took my breath away in all honesty. These days, when I turn on my ES8000 I get the same feeling wink.gif

Old 04-04-2013, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Got it! But please venture over to the W1070 thread as a very active gamer just put up his report. I take it that you mean 3D - 1080p 60 for GAMING?

(Quote - recent write up - "And my main reason for upgrading was better 3D input lag and upscaling, this is one area it destroys the HD33! I dare say in both 2D and 3D the lag is next to minimal. Easily as good as the best plasma TV i have owned, and possibly better still. On my first gaming session with it, with 3 tries i achieved 120millions points on super start dust in 3D, my old score on 3D TVs and HMZ-T2 headset was 80million. The only time i beat this score was my 3rd attempt using a GT750, i got 129million :P But as i said the GT750 image is terrible and had to go back.)"

At any rate - - I was trying to help - - not stoke your frustration/anger! smile.gif

THX, i will check it out, but i am not getting a projector for a couple yrs & if it's as good as i think by 2014 then i will not even bother with screens tv's any more.
Projector really is the way of the future & BEST of all it's easy to transport.

Arenaman: sorry to hear on how poor the replacement went.
I so hope i don't have to go through that kinda stuff cause i will FREAK out on the samsung rep's.I would just direct them to this site to read on how repairs usually make things worse.I'd demand they gave me a F8000.
whats interesting is that the f8000 is only 400$ more 55" model,so basically 100$ more then es8000 with an evo kit.
If i knew that in january i'd prolly have waited & got the F series.

SEK-2000/ZA....Any GOOD ?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OugaBooga View Post

...Standard definition Zucks on both plasma & LCD,I don't know WTH upconversion is going on but i see none...

The biggest problem with sh***y SD is in fact the up-conversion to the set's native resolution. If you think about it, the set takes a (most usually) highly compressed 480i image and scales it to 1080p; thus magnifying all of the imperfections of the original sh***y SD picture, which is (for the most part) the reason good 'ole Sammy includes all of the processing settings like DN filter and MPEG Noise filter.

If you're able to get a clean 480i SD signal to the set (preferably via HDMI, or perhaps even a clean SD file), such as a higher bit-rate DVD, then one might notice an improved SD picture on one of these sets. Unfortunately, Cable and Dish companies will almost always highly compress their SD content (and usually HD as well) in the interest of being able to offer the greatest amount of content possible.

All of that said, I have noticed some pretty good SD streaming via Netfix wink.gif
Old 04-04-2013, 05:29 PM

Hi Guys,
Have had my 55" ES8000 now for 7 days (also taken out the 5 year full warranty with Safeguard). I also paid by credit card. Used the LED mostly in the day, and not noticed any issues. But then decided to read up on things to look out for. I suppose, the notice problems, you need to know what kind of problems to look out for.

The key issues for most people appear to be:
Backlight Bleed
Dead Pixels
Torch Light (Not a clue what this is!)
Clouding.

The only one I could find a way to test was 'backlight bleed'. Essentially a video (1080p) from YouTube, which essentially displays a black screen that you can pause.

Now the issues begin. Without a shadow of a doubt, I can see light bleed from all four corners of the TV when displaying a black scene. In normal daylight viewing, they are invisible. In the evening, with artificial light, you can see it slightly, but only because I know where to look and what to look for. If I asked another person, without telling them what they were looking for, they wouldn't notice anything. If I totally turn out the lights and play the black scene, the bleed is evident in four corner, with top left and top right being the worst. Tinkering with setting does help slightly, but it remains present. Most of the films I watch are unfortunatley letterbox, with black borders, and hence these bleeds are can be seen in the corners, like tiny spot lights shining in towards the middle. I tried to photograph it, but camera just won't capture it. Asked others (once pointing it out) and they too can see it, but have said that I'm too much of a perfectionist and if it was them, they would ignore it. The problem is it can't be ignored. Its impossible to look at the screen and not notice them.

I am considering contacting the store and asking to exchange it for another, but am worried they may say that its within tolerance levels or something similar. A friend said they may send out an engineer, and if he/she does not think it is a major issue, I will get charged for the callout; is this correct????

Just to run through the process with yourselves... the following are some of my questions:

As I have only had the TV 7 days, am I able to ask for a no quibble exchange or even a refund?
If they suggest sending an engineer, can I say no and demand that I want a no quibble exchange or even a refund?
What if the next TV is a dud too, where do I stand then?

Please help as I intend to try and resolve this by the weekend.
Can someone tell me how to test for the other issues I have mentioned?

Thanks!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Yasmin, What you are describing is Flashlighting ( aka Torchlight ) Backlight bleeding is more of a uniform lighter area running along the edges of the picture.
I would suggest you look for some of the settings people are using here. Or get the Disney Wow disk and try and adjust the picture setting before you freak out. From your description it doesn't sound too bad. What are you backlight and brightness set to? What picture mode are you using?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Yasmin,
Howdy from across the pond. The things you describe are all present in almost all LCD/LED technology. The things that I base my decisions on is it noticable when Normal watching ? It shouldn't be. Is it something you think that you could learn to tolerate ? Is it something that bothers you to the point of not being able to watch it ? Getting another Set maybe better and then again it may be worse.
If you read these forums long enough you will never buy any Displays. These forum's will generally report whats wrong and not what's right.
My advice to a lot of people is that once you purchase the Display you like never I repeat never go to the forum on your display it will only make you regret it.
If you don't beleive me pick another forum about another display or technology it will be at a minimum 70% what wrong and 30% what's right.
If it's something that show up in Normal Viewing by all means have it checked out.
I say if you Dig for that Bugger Long enough you will find him.
If it don't bother you with normal Viewing. Enjoy it and let the other people feel disgusted when they go Bugger Hunting.
What Do You Think About That.
I wish People would work as hard at enjoyment as they do their Bugger Hunting.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

Old 04-04-2013, 07:20 PM

Well said Glenee.

I've only had my UN60ES for a month. I made very slight adjustment in maybe two settings and that's it. The TV is great right out of the box.

As I used to tell an old work associate years ago. "If you don't like eating sh!t sandwiches, stop making them!"

Really, it is that simple.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

This question goes out to Mavinwow and 10K. Did you guys ever get the chance to play with the calibration settings since your last post of setting ? I know you two were working hard on it and believe me when I say, I know that's labor intensive and a Labor of Love. I was just wondering if you guys made any progress or if what you have posted is still your best work ?
Thanks,
Glenee

Old 04-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

This question goes out to Mavinwow and 10K. Did you guys ever get the chance to play with the calibration settings since your last post of setting ? I know you two were working hard on it and believe me when I say, I know that's labor intensive and a Labor of Love. I was just wondering if you guys made any progress or if what you have posted is still your best work ?
Thanks,
Glenee
I did revisit movie mode one more time. I have made a few changes but the difference in results is academic and I suspect the only reason it looked like I needed some small changes was because I put the meter on a different part of the screen. I ended up going back to my posted settings and couldnt notice a visual difference so I'm pretty much done with movie mode.

I took another shot at standard mode and was trying to do it with dynamic contrast on low. I got to a place that was better than what I have posted, but still not great. In particular, standard mode does not have linear hue tracking of color for green and magenta. If you look back to turboman's post about the "twist" in the color chart, that effect appears to be unavoidable. Further, there is something weird with getting the luminance and xy coordinates to all line up across all saturations at 75% luminance and 100% luminance. Some colors are like +15% too bright at 75% and then -5% too dark at 100% saturation. I dont really know what to do to address that, but it isnt a problem in Movie mode.

Lastly, having seen this post - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466036/calibrators-lets-talk-shadow-detail - I pretty much gave up on Standard mode as flipping between the "normal" pictures really showed how badly the dynamic/black enhancing features impact overall picture detail, and the CE dimming of standard mode was very annoying to me.

Given all of the above, I'm actually just waiting until this solution ( http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464890/eecolor-processor-argyllcms ) for MadVR gets a little more mature and I will be using that to get my colors perfect.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hello all, i have read the last few pages of the thread to no mention of the firmware update message, so i'll ask here. a couple of weeks ago i updated to 1047 because that firmware update message keeps popping up every time i turn on the tv, however, that message still pops up for a few seconds upon power on. i did a reset to no avail, so is there anyway to disable or correct this pop-up message? it has been a bit annoying now, and i can't even use the remote to close that message. btw, i think fw 1047 has made my 65" with poorer viewing angles.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks 10k. I have been using your Movie settings with just a few personal taste adjustments to Contrast, Brightness and Back Light. They seem to be doing the trick for me. I was just wondering if you guys had ever figured out how to get that last 2-3% of quality.
Thanks Again

Old 04-05-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMakoto View Post

hello all, i have read the last few pages of the thread to no mention of the firmware update message, so i'll ask here. a couple of weeks ago i updated to 1047 because that firmware update message keeps popping up every time i turn on the tv, however, that message still pops up for a few seconds upon power on. i did a reset to no avail, so is there anyway to disable or correct this pop-up message? it has been a bit annoying now, and i can't even use the remote to close that message. btw, i think fw 1047 has made my 65" with poorer viewing angles.

From what you tell us, it sounds like you may not have properly installed the firmware. If possible, I'd try to re-install it. Not sure if that's entirely possible. You might want to contact Samsung to solicit their advice.

I'm using 1047 on my UN60 and it's fine. I'm very much happy with every aspect of the TVs operation.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quick review of Wreck It Ralph 3D: Excellent on my TV. Used Standard, Garnoch's settings. And for some reason the BL automatically turned up from 11 to 18 (and back to 11 when I took out the 3D BD). And the soundtrack was excellent as well. I ordered/rented it from 3Dbluerayrentals. Because it's a new movie it took a solid 9-10 days to arrive after I placed my order. I used to have the monthly plan at $16/month, but my appetite has tailed off so I went ala carte. BTW I did see some flashlighting in the 4 corners during one mostly all black scene (at BL 18) but that's like the only times I've ever noticed it. You will love the flick, and the 3D is awesome as usual.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the warning NEWT must be some 3D Auto thingy with the TV

Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:

From what you tell us, it sounds like you may not have properly installed the firmware. If possible, I'd try to re-install it. Not sure if that's entirely possible. You might want to contact Samsung to solicit their advice.

I'm using 1047 on my UN60 and it's fine. I'm very much happy with every aspect of the TVs operation.
I've updated my fw a couple of times before w/o a problem, and i'm pretty sure i did the same for 1047. i'm not sure how i can re-install the fw either. contacting samsung would be my last priority, previous experiences with their multi-level support was a joke.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMakoto View Post

I've updated my fw a couple of times before w/o a problem, and i'm pretty sure i did the same for 1047. i'm not sure how i can re-install the fw either. contacting samsung would be my last priority, previous experiences with their multi-level support was a joke.

If the firmware prompt is not going away, that's a pretty good indication that there may have been a problem with FW installation. In addition to that, you shouldn't see obvious picture degradation using 1047 unless there was a glitch in the install. My TV is fine with 1047 as are many others using it.

If you don't want to talk to Samsung, others here have suggested downloading the FW onto your computer and load it on a flash drive. Follow the instructions for extracting the FW file, plug it into a USB port and do the install from there. Disable your automatic upgrade feature when you do it to ensure you don't have an interference issue while installing from the flash drive.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:42 PM

Liked: 32
After a bit of a battle over the last few days I've finally got a return authorised and will be getting a 55" F8000 as soon as things are processed smile.gif

Panasonic TXP65VT65B, Samsung BD-C5900, HT-D455, DA-E670, Galaxy S4, Iphone 5, 10.1" Tab 2. SKY HD. Atollo LED light strips, Philips Living Colours Lamp, Harmony One Remote.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

I finally got around to updating my calibration settings and readings in my signature. I wanted to give it time to see if there was anything I wanted to change (again!), but have not needed or wanted to, so they're final at this point. Unless of course a firmware update comes out and they need tweaking. I'm very happy with the readings and the PQ of my set. The only problem I have is blue at 75% is a little further out than I'd like, but I've got a weird blue issue with my set and that's as good as it's going to get without screwing up 100% blue. It's still not bad though and I don't see anything odd during viewing.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenaman View Post

After a bit of a battle over the last few days I've finally got a return authorised and will be getting a 55" F8000 as soon as things are processed smile.gif
i didn't read your case, but could you give us a brief story of how you got to the point of getting an exchange? tks!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:

If the firmware prompt is not going away, that's a pretty good indication that there may have been a problem with FW installation. In addition to that, you shouldn't see obvious picture degradation using 1047 unless there was a glitch in the install. My TV is fine with 1047 as are many others using it.

If you don't want to talk to Samsung, others here have suggested downloading the FW onto your computer and load it on a flash drive. Follow the instructions for extracting the FW file, plug it into a USB port and do the install from there. Disable your automatic upgrade feature when you do it to ensure you don't have an interference issue while installing from the flash drive.
thanks for the responses, i'll play around with it a bit more and see what happens.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Congrats arenaman! Let us know how that bad boy is when you get it.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's great. You sort of spun straw into gold right there dude. Not that the ES8000 is straw, but you got the newest model for last years price.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Thanks,
Glenee

I have updated Movie settings that I like a lot better, and have actually been using over standard mode for the first time. Will try to update over the weekend.

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
Old 04-05-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

That's great. You sort of spun straw into gold right there dude. Not that the ES8000 is straw, but you got the newest model for last years price.

Well I'm paying he difference between what I paid and what they're selling the F8 for and said they will price match if i find a better price within 30 days so not a straight swap but i'm happy enough

Panasonic TXP65VT65B, Samsung BD-C5900, HT-D455, DA-E670, Galaxy S4, Iphone 5, 10.1" Tab 2. SKY HD. Atollo LED light strips, Philips Living Colours Lamp, Harmony One Remote.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice! Exchange, or a return and pay the difference?

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
Old 04-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestered View Post

I finally got around to updating my calibration settings and readings in my signature. I wanted to give it time to see if there was anything I wanted to change (again!), but have not needed or wanted to, so they're final at this point. Unless of course a firmware update comes out and they need tweaking. I'm very happy with the readings and the PQ of my set. The only problem I have is blue at 75% is a little further out than I'd like, but I've got a weird blue issue with my set and that's as good as it's going to get without screwing up 100% blue. It's still not bad though and I don't see anything odd during viewing.

Thanks for posting. I can tell those would never work on my panel though. I have a lot of blue push at the high end, blue gain of 50 would make that worse. Probably a panel difference between the Samsung and Sharp.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:44 PM

All listed here and on the av forum but very briefly

Screen developed a fault, panel replaced but was a lot worse for banding, clouding etc than the other and also developed a sort of flicker/blink on startup. After a bit of complaining the retailer agreed to a full credit of what I paid.

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv