post #14671 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyLyons1977 View Post

Even better news. Verizon called and said they will be sending a tech out free of charge!
That's wonderful news Jeff, maybe you can finally get to the bottom of it. Remember if they say anything about it being the Display and not their equipment, don't forget to tell him then why does it play perfectly when I hook the Cable straight to the TV, and why does it play perfectly on the same programming if I DVR it. It only messes up when we go thru your STB. Had it been the Display it would of messed up on all three just alike.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14672 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Has anyone here or know of anyone that has hooked up a Darbee Darblet to one of these Displays ? I am thinking about getting one they seem to be a very good processor. Small Footprint and everything you read on them say's they would never send them Back.

post #14673 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Has anyone here or know of anyone that has hooked up a Darbee Darblet to one of these Displays ? I am thinking about getting one they seem to be a very good processor. Small Footprint and everything you read on them say's they would never send them Back.
Search the thread, one of the guys here bought one and was unimpressed with the results.
post #14674 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks 10K I read the post just not very impressed with it on the Sammy's.
Thanks Again

post #14675 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, it seems I did not do horribly in the panel lottery. I have no dead pixels.

I have not done any calibration so far so with default values on all settings this is what I am seeing:

On Standard picture mode there is no visible clouding or flashlighting. On Movie mode with no changes (so far) there is faint visible clouding in the bottom corners, along with what I guess would be considered the "V" above the samsung logo that I read about in a couple posts (again this is only visible in movie mode and the light spots are maybe as big as a quarter).

It looks like I have a little vertical banding on the right side that is only visible in "perfect" conditions I think i noticed it in the bedroom scenes in toy story at the beginning of the wow disc (the wallpapeer is light blue with clouds) and I would only see it when the camera panned around the room just right. but in 99% of normal viewing it looks good.

I am hoping that doing some calibration will reduce the lights in Movie mode and not make it worse. and make the hardly noticable banding even less noticable.

In the end I understand this this is cutting edge tech, and by trying to made these TVs are razor thin as possible there are going to be imperfections, for there to be no issues the diffuser has to be perfect in multiple ways. it has to not only be perfectly uniform in thickness, but even the plastic its made of has to "pour" with an even consistency when the part is being made. I can accept its not going to be perfect, I just want it to look as good as it can.
post #14676 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Phillip, Sound like you are going to like your TV for a long time. Mine has a couple of faults but they are not visable when viewing, and I'm liking this Display more and more everyday.
Congratulations and take the time to enter some of the calibrators settings and it will look even better. By the way my faults that my display has seem to be getting less and less the more Hours I get on it, I am at about 150 hours now.

post #14677 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

Phillip, Sound like you are going to like your TV for a long time. Mine has a couple of faults but they are not visable when viewing, and I'm liking this Display more and more everyday.
Congratulations and take the time to enter some of the calibrators settings and it will look even better. By the way my faults that my display has seem to be getting less and less the more Hours I get on it, I am at about 150 hours now.

Hi Glenee, Do you mean that flashlights or clouds become less as the TV ages in LED? Haven't heard about that before and would like to know more.

As of June 2013:
2,712 Bluray movies
1,593 DVD movies
356 bluray+DVD series
1,322 bluray+DVD Anime
post #14678 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

I don't know if it's that or I don't notices it as much or I don't Care. I can tell you for sure the Colors and overall picture has seemed to improve with time. I have had set's do this before. I like to get about 250 Hours on them before I do any final small tweeks and pass judgement on a Display. I find that most Quality Display's will not show their real picture till after a little time. I think the magic number is between 150-250 Hours. I think what you see then is what you will see for 90% of the rest of the life of the Display.

post #14679 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 10:37 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Luke View Post

I have not done any calibration so far so with default values on all settings this is what I am seeing:

On Standard picture mode there is no visible clouding or flashlighting. On Movie mode with no changes (so far) there is faint visible clouding in the bottom corners, along with what I guess would be considered the "V" above the samsung logo that I read about in a couple posts (again this is only visible in movie mode and the light spots are maybe as big as a quarter).

It looks like I have a little vertical banding on the right side that is only visible in "perfect" conditions I think i noticed it in the bedroom scenes in toy story at the beginning of the wow disc (the wallpapeer is light blue with clouds) and I would only see it when the camera panned around the room just right. but in 99% of normal viewing it looks good.

I am hoping that doing some calibration will reduce the lights in Movie mode and not make it worse. and make the hardly noticable banding even less noticable.

In the end I understand this this is cutting edge tech, and by trying to made these TVs are razor thin as possible there are going to be imperfections, for there to be no issues the diffuser has to be perfect in multiple ways. it has to not only be perfectly uniform in thickness, but even the plastic its made of has to "pour" with an even consistency when the part is being made. I can accept its not going to be perfect, I just want it to look as good as it can.

Good news for you. I also think I got a "good one". There are a lot of posted settings on this forum. One person (I forget who) has a spreadsheet in his sig with many of the settings that various persons are using. Some had meters, some used discs. I use Garnoch's Standard (he used discs and eyeballs) BTW I have not seen hide nor hair of Garnoch for awhile. And wait until you try a 3D movie with this thing, it's freaking great.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #14680 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

I can accept its not going to be perfect, I just want it to look as good as it can.

Stop right now. Never read another post. Never click on this thread again....... and you'll be very happy with the TV for years to come. wink.gif
post #14681 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Stop right now. Never read another post. Never click on this thread again....... and you'll be very happy with the TV for years to come. wink.gif
DITTO

post #14682 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Awesome, I don't understand WHY ppl leave that logo on while watching their TV, i have turned it off since day 1 cause it bothered me seeing this glowing white blob.Turn it off, or have it turn on ONLY in standby like i do so i know it's in standby.
BTW, What Size is your TV ? ? ?
Quote:

I always thought this was a "plasma" thing, didn't know LCD's needed a break in time.If this is the case then mine would be broken in In about 2 weeks since i have it on 12-24hrs a day.
Quote:

Exactly what the Dr ordered ! ! !

SEK-2000/ZA....Any GOOD ?
post #14683 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 12:07 PM

I got the 65 inch. $2600 at BB a few weeks ago with a price match.

Where is a good place to start with calibration values for the 65 inch panel? I will use the WOW disc too, but a starting point I can print out for movie and standard/3D modes would be great.
post #14684 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Glenee - - I tried it - - and sent it back. Very little to no effect for me.

But...when I got my BenQ projector (W1080ST) - I tried the Darblet again (open box from Solid Signal) and it works fantastic for projectors!

Our Sammy sets are so clear and pristine that any additional processing isn't needed - IMHO. (Outside of AVR upscaling/processing like Marvell QDEO or HQV).

So - you can try it, but I really didn't see any difference in an already fabulous picture. (Sammy 65" - ES8000) (If you do try it - - make sure you have a solid return policy like Amazon Prime - - no questions asked within 30 days.)

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #14685 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:

That's wonderful news Jeff, maybe you can finally get to the bottom of it. Remember if they say anything about it being the Display and not their equipment, don't forget to tell him then why does it play perfectly when I hook the Cable straight to the TV, and why does it play perfectly on the same programming if I DVR it. It only messes up when we go thru your STB. Had it been the Display it would of messed up on all three just alike.

Thanks! Everything has been replaced. New cables, he gave me new splitters(returned the gold ones). All my levels have been checked. I even explained the situation and he said bad cables would cause a problem like that.

At this point I have done everything I can.
post #14686 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyLyons1977 View Post

Thanks! Everything has been replaced. New cables, he gave me new splitters(returned the gold ones). All my levels have been checked. I even explained the situation and he said bad cables would cause a problem like that.

At this point I have done everything I can.
So you got new STB'S Too ? If you did that's the max they can do.

post #14687 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Here you go Phillip use the ones for the 65" just click on the 65 tab at the bottom of the page. Use the ones that have the same Panel as yours. Panel # is on the side of the BOX.
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah17fhDrSz0ldE42VnJUaUV6ZHVfNU5iNEE2bG5oaUE#gid=0
Don't thank me thank Galonzo for this it's his spreadsheet.
Phillip enjoy that Wonderful Display you Own.

post #14688 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 03:28 PM

Best Buy was "nice" enough to take the package away when they installed my TV. (I wasn't home and my wife hates my box collection) any other way to know the panel your set has? though I am assuming its an MH02.
post #14689 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 315
Quote:

lol. Listen to this man.

Do not buy a WOW disc and start looking at slides on your screen, especially the contrast adjustment one!
post #14690 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Glenee - - I tried it - - and sent it back. Very little to no effect for me.

But...when I got my BenQ projector (W1080ST) - I tried the Darblet again (open box from Solid Signal) and it works fantastic for projectors!

Our Sammy sets are so clear and pristine that any additional processing isn't needed - IMHO. (Outside of AVR upscaling/processing like Marvell QDEO or HQV).

So - you can try it, but I really didn't see any difference in an already fabulous picture. (Sammy 65" - ES8000) (If you do try it - - make sure you have a solid return policy like Amazon Prime - - no questions asked within 30 days.)

Thanks for clarifying. I suspect that with four times the screen size and more contrast ratio to work with the differences jump out a bit more
post #14691 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 04:09 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Not sure about that biggrin.gif

My cost for 65ES8000 is less than 2K, no dead pixels, and I forgot about banding already - all thanks to this forum.
post #14692 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parodielin View Post

Not sure about that biggrin.gif

My cost for 65ES8000 is less than 2K, no dead pixels, and I forgot about banding already - all thanks to this forum.

WOW, & i thought the $2600 phillip luke price was great, I dunno if i'd get a set that big EVEN though you paid just a few hundred more then me for a 55".
For newer high res games maybe 60 & 65 might be nice but for older games & 720p i wouldn't reccomend anything bigger then 50-55" max.
I am jealous you guys got all that extra screen for the $$$.I hope i can get a 65" lcd for 2K in a few yrs when OLED starts dropping a bit.
I "almost" can't believe you got a 65" es8000 for 2K, that's insanely cheap eek.gif

post #14693 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 05:38 PM

Less than 2k??? well I now feel like I got totally screwed. J/K i remember my set being like 4K when it came out, at 2600 I dont feel bad about buying it. I paid $2400 for a KDL40XBR3 6 years ago. getting this beautiful beast on my wall feels like i got the deal of a lifetime.
post #14694 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Less than 2k??? well I now feel like I got totally screwed. J/K i remember my set being like 4K when it came out, at 2600 I dont feel bad about buying it. I paid $2400 for a KDL40XBR3 6 years ago. getting this beautiful beast on my wall feels like i got the deal of a lifetime.

I only said under 2K. I didn't say how much under 2K for a reason. I exchanged a few sets (one set has a dead pixel) and "complained" about the vertical banding. The seller messed up the order a few times. It is a combination of all refunds and gift certificates. I didn't realize the "vertical banding" could worth that much money. Without this forum, I won't know what VB is. So I'm perfectly happy with the 65 I have w/ banding. I'm thankful for this forum showing me what banding is.
post #14695 of 16215 Old 04-17-2013, 11:51 PM

less then 2K for a 65" ES, i could tolerate some banding too......send me 1 over ASAP biggrin.gif

post #14696 of 16215 Old 04-18-2013, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Hi, I just upgraded to the newly released 1048 firmware.... So far so good no il side effects.. Smart Hub now starts up instantly and is much faster.. Anyone happen to have the release notes on this new firmware. I am seeing better black levels after this update.

*1048 has been the best update for me so far. smile.gif
post #14697 of 16215 Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post

Hi, I just upgraded to the newly released 1048 firmware.... So far so good no il side effects.. Smart Hub now starts up instantly and is much faster.. Anyone happen to have the release notes on this new firmware. I am seeing better black levels after this update.

*1048 has been the best update for me so far. smile.gif
The uk got this update yesterday.i am also getting better blacks and the whole image seems brighter & vibrant
post #14698 of 16215 Old 04-18-2013, 05:34 AM

1048 is KISS of DEATH

post #14699 of 16215 Old 04-18-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OugaBooga View Post

1048 is KISS of DEATH
What do you know that we don't know ? inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks,
Glenee

post #14700 of 16215 Old 04-18-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

This is what Samsung says it does. I am going to wait a little bit to see if any repercussions or OugaBooga let's us in on the inside scoop.

This firmware is for TV Model(s): UN**ES7500 and UN**ES8000.
The version is 1048.4
This firmware update will improve the following:

- Support iOS Smart view app..

- Support Angry Birds app. and Yahoo SyncPlus app..

- Improves performance of Smart Hub

- Adds print function in photo applications such as the Photo function of AllShare Play or Picasa.

- Supports Samsung Audio Dock and Wireless Keyboard VG-KBD1500

- Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices and network router/switch.

- Improves picture quality.

- Enhances Voice Recognition feature.

- Change the TV Power On command from ''Hi TV'' to ''Hi TV Power On'' or ''Smart TV'' to ''Smart TV Power On.''

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page