Forum Jump: 

post #15031 of 16274 Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

It isnt service menu, its factory reset and then store demo mode instead of home mode when the tv first boots.

aha!.. now THAT's very interesting. so the demo has a setting in the tools menu allows you to turn Micro Dimming on and off??

TV: Samsung 60inch 60ES8000 LED TV,
Sound System: Pioneer VSX 1120-K, 2x JBL Stadium fronts, 1x JBL EC35 center, 4x JBL L820 surrounds, 1x JBL SUB12 for a complete 7.1
Headphones: Sennheiser HD598, HD650 headphone, Audio Technica ATH-AD700, AD900X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15032 of 16274 Old 05-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

aha!.. now THAT's very interesting. so the demo has a setting in the tools menu allows you to turn Micro Dimming on and off??
Yea when you are in store demo mode the tools menu has a lot of new options. At the bottom is one called "micro dimming ultimate" which engages a demo loop of the microdimming process over whatever content the TV is showing. It's pretty cool.
post #15033 of 16274 Old 05-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

A few interesting things I found on Samsung's website:

Dynamic Contrast Ratio: Is a measurement of what the panel can produce with help from features like:

•Backlight diming.

•DNie (Digital Natural Image engine) Video processor.
This setting can be set to: Off, Low, Medium, and High. Setting this option can enhance or degrade the picture. If the setting is set too high it can "crush" the blacks making them darker than they should be. If not set high enough the blacks and other colors may appear to light or washed out

And this article from 2003 speaking about their DNie processing in its infancy (what we now know as Micro Dimming)

DNIe technology optimizes the moving picture image and color, while the contrast ratio and fine details are amplified. These four processes automatically and precisely capture broadcast signals in all formats, from analog to high definition. This high clarity, high detail image technology provides the best possible picture quality under all conditions

And last but not least about the feature that is now called Micro Dimming:

DNIe, or Digital Natural Image engine, is a “natural image” technology introduced by Samsung in 2003. Originally developed as part of a concerted effort by Samsung to improve television picture quality on non-high-definition-televisions, the DNIe chip is now used in Samsung's high definition televisions (HDTV). DNIe makes input signals SHARPER, CLEARER and more lifelike. Its advanced image processors help to create true-to-life COLORS and high CONTRAST, while pretty much eliminating digital artifacts.

http://www.samsung.com/us/news/newsRead.do?news_seq=1861
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00000585&fm_seq=58597
http://www.birds-eye.net/definition/acronym/?id=1186098127

Thought I would repost what I said in this thread awhile back since it seems relevant to the topic

And no, I don't believe I'm the one who suggested the formula of Black Enhancer + Dynamic Contrast = Micro Dimming Ultimate. All I said is basically that Dynamic Contrast is the main ingredient in Samsung's secret sauce here, and I've now provided evidence of that with the link about it (DNie). One other critical element is CE dimming

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #15034 of 16274 Old 05-10-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
10k, now this is interesting stuff..."Why argue about it when you can easily see for yourself (warning, you will lose all your settings)

Menu->Support->Self Diagnosis->Reset
After the TV boots up and gives the intro video the first or second setup screen will ask you "home use" or "store demo"
Choose "store demo"
Note the TV will reset its menu settings every 30 minutes in this mode so act quick
Go into movie mode and turn off black tone, turn dynamic contrast on low and black enhancer"....

Question, would enabling dimming in Movie mode help resolve flashlights?

I love the accuracy of Movie , love the blacks of Standard and would love to combine.

I've been too busy watching to tweak lately.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #15035 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:

As far as everyone who says they want control over the micro dimming, I will address that, because you already have control over the most critical element. Micro dimming in standard mode works more like a subtle dynamic contrast based feature. So if you don't want it at all use Movie mode. If you want to use it as it was designed to be use Standard mode. If you want to control the amout of the effect at all times use Movie Mode and use the Dynamic Contrast to control it. Because that's mostly what it is

Not too long ago I did some research reading back through more than 10 years of Samsung articles about micro dimming when it was a developing technology. And what I find out long story short is that its really just a dynamic contrast "enhancement". So if you want the most accurate picture possible whithout any post image processing features screwing with the accuracy of your tv you would obviously want to use Movie mode

But if you wanted to turn micro dimming on in movie mode and don't mind that it skewers accuracy just a bit then turn Dynamic contrast on low. Any higher than low is significantly more detrimental. It won't technically be the same thing, but since the feature is based on dynamic contrast you get the point. In Standard mode they actually use an even more subtle like 1/2x contrast effect. I believe the algorithms used in this process can be made significantly more effective with more processing power ala more "dimming zones" via the evo kit (which is why I'm looking forward to it)

Quote:

Thought I would repost what I said in this thread awhile back since it seems relevant to the topic

And no, I don't believe I'm the one who suggested the formula of Black Enhancer + Dynamic Contrast = Micro Dimming Ultimate. All I said is basically that Dynamic Contrast is the main ingredient in Samsung's secret sauce here, and I've now provided evidence of that with the link about it (DNie). One other critical element is CE dimming

maybe it's the wind, or maybe it's the weather outside, but i re-read your thread three times. and what you suggested is simply incorrect. i am aware of DNIe, in fact the 4 year old samsung 46 inch LCD i replaced with was one of the first gen to utilize that DNIe technology. it's an old technology in today's standard. but it does is basically a combination of basic dynamic contrast and black crush (which is NOT micro dimming). Micro Dimming is hundreds of sub region image processing, each region has its own threshold process. it's local dimming without being at the hardware level. yes it does the processing of analyzing contrast and sharpness but at an independt 500 sub region level, not a single level. therefore it will not produce the same image. and to suggest that dynamic contrast will produce the same result is simply not correct, if by that definition, then all lower end models like ES6500 without micro dimming and only basic dynamic contrast will then produce the same result, which is NOT true, and respectfully i must point it out. just because there're many others who come to this thread for scientific info, and i wouldn't want them to take home the wrong info.

don't take this the wrong way, i know your intentions are good, but incorrect information need to be pointed out.

Sound System: Pioneer VSX 1120-K, 2x JBL Stadium fronts, 1x JBL EC35 center, 4x JBL L820 surrounds, 1x JBL SUB12 for a complete 7.1
post #15036 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

10k, now this is interesting stuff..."Why argue about it when you can easily see for yourself (warning, you will lose all your settings)

Menu->Support->Self Diagnosis->Reset
After the TV boots up and gives the intro video the first or second setup screen will ask you "home use" or "store demo"
Choose "store demo"
Note the TV will reset its menu settings every 30 minutes in this mode so act quick
Go into movie mode and turn off black tone, turn dynamic contrast on low and black enhancer"....

Question, would enabling dimming in Movie mode help resolve flashlights?

I love the accuracy of Movie , love the blacks of Standard and would love to combine.

I've been too busy watching to tweak lately.

i don't think you can enable micro dimming in movie mode. the above example 10K mentioned is performed in standard mode, which somehow somewhere it turns off micro dimming and gradually turns it back on and does a A/B comparison. it still doesn't allow you to turn on Micro Dimming in movie mode. but yes i would imagine it'll get rid of flash light just like it does in standard mode.

but then again, maybe 10K can chime in.

post #15037 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

maybe it's the wind, or maybe it's the weather outside, but i re-read your thread three times. and what you suggested is simply incorrect. i am aware of DNIe, in fact the 4 year old samsung 46 inch LCD i replaced with was one of the first gen to utilize that DNIe technology. it's an old technology in today's standard. but it does is basically a combination of basic dynamic contrast and black crush (which is NOT micro dimming). Micro Dimming is hundreds of sub region image processing, each region has its own threshold process. it's local dimming without being at the hardware level. yes it does the processing of analyzing contrast and sharpness but at an independt 500 sub region level, not a single level. therefore it will not produce the same image. and to suggest that dynamic contrast will produce the same result is simply not correct, if by that definition, then all lower end models like ES6500 without micro dimming and only basic dynamic contrast will then produce the same result, which is NOT true

Yes the ES8000 has "local" dimming without being at the hardware level. That's why it's called software based dimming and that's exactly why it can be improved via firmware. And especially via the evo kit where it has more processing power to analyze the image into more/smaller zones and apply the effect dynamically in a more accurate way

The higher up the ladder the set goes, the bigger the native contrast and the more zones they claim. Every year they claim the technology is better and the past few years they say it has improved with more zones/micro dimming as the sets have been given dual and now quad core chips. It is getting better in part because of the improved algorithms due to the power behind the image processing

Did you ever ask yourself why they called micro dimming ultimate a new feature in 2013 for the F series? When it had clearly been around for the ES8000 series for a year already. Sure they added the local edge lit local dimming back with the F series but micro dimming ultimate was in no way a completely new feature. So NO, I'm not saying that DNie on your 4 year old set is the exact same outdated process as today's micro dimming. That's about as far of a reach as Samsung claiming that they have never called anything micro dimming ultimate before. That's funny and I can see you like to twist my words around. From what I posted you should have clearly been able to see that I was just pointing to where all this technology began, but you got too happy to jump on the chance to twist my words around. Nice try there buddy

I'm not sure why you were perplexed at the reason they didn't auto-enable micro dimming in movie mode. Especially if you're coming from a scientific point of view as you claim. Wouldn't you want the most accurate image possible without all the post image processing? Or do you watch in Dynamic mode because that would explain a lot. Micro dimming is interesting to me, and I want to see where it will go and can go, but at the end of the day I don't need it. And to those who don't know micro dimming was their flagship feature for 2012 - yes it clearly was. None of the lower sets had the "ultimate" version with as many zones as they claimed for the ES8000, and it was the feature that set it apart from the features of other brands. Samsung even called it "local" dimming in some instances just to compete with the others whose flagship sets actually included real local hardware dimming. Would you dare say that the Sony HX929 or 950's full array local dimming is not its flagship feature? No. And Sammy sure was talking up their micro dimming to directly compete with it

I've been in this particular thread posting since day one and I've encountered a lot of really smart people. But I don't even know who you are and the first time I saw your name you were belittling another member and asking why they were even in here. Who are you? I don't know but you're going on my ignore list. Feel free to get that last word in because I'm sure you're the bigger man. Like I said I don't have all day to field ignorant posts and I this is exactly why I said that beforehand, because with some people you can just tell before you ever say a word to or even around them

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #15038 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 852
I would ask this in the es7500 thread but no one responds there and it seems like the knowledgeable hang out here. lol

The es7500 has micro dimming pro. Does that mean it is also only available in Standard mode? Also, if I apply the same settings I use in Movie mode to standard mode will it give me the same picture or do I need to apply totally different settings to achieve the same look and is it possible to do achieve the Movie look in standard mode?
post #15039 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i don't think you can enable micro dimming in movie mode. the above example 10K mentioned is performed in standard mode, which somehow somewhere it turns off micro dimming and gradually turns it back on and does a A/B comparison. it still doesn't allow you to turn on Micro Dimming in movie mode. but yes i would imagine it'll get rid of flash light just like it does in standard mode.

but then again, maybe 10K can chime in.
Yes that is right. It's just a way to enable a demo mode that explains the microdimming feature. It's well worth doing the procedure I posted if you dont mind having to re-enter your settings afterwards. Another member posted this video of the microdimming demonstration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKa6R8MMQ0g&feature=youtu.be

The problem with the video is it is bad quality and you cant really see the difference in picture quality, but you should be able to see how microdimming works from the video if you dont want to enable store demo mode on your own tv.
post #15040 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 07:24 AM

Liked: 10
New update available!!!
post #15041 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I would ask this in the es7500 thread but no one responds there and it seems like the knowledgeable hang out here. lol

The es7500 has micro dimming pro. Does that mean it is also only available in Standard mode? Also, if I apply the same settings I use in Movie mode to standard mode will it give me the same picture or do I need to apply totally different settings to achieve the same look and is it possible to do achieve the Movie look in standard mode?
Only standard mode and, no, the image processing is different between standard mode and movie mode. If you use the same settings you will not get the same picture between modes.
post #15042 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I must be the outcast or the weird Kid on the Block. I have had more Displays than I care to admit. I tried to always buy the latest and greatest. In my own personal journey, I have come to the conclusion that I like what I like. On some sets it was the calibrated settings and on some it wasn't. What I mean is that I think IMO that on some displays 6500K looks the best and on some displays it don't. I know, I know, weird right.
I now buy Displays cause I like the way they look. They may not be the most accurate the way I like them. Some technologies on certain sets I like, Then the same technology on a different Manufacture I don't. I know that I have Paid a lot of Money for new Technology, Bell's and Whistle's, Picture altering Gizmo's, and didn't like it and never used it. Let me tell you how that makes you feel.
I like the gray scale and color saturation levels that the calibrators post, because if somebody is wearing a Maroon Sweater I want it to look Maroon. After that I will set My own Color level, Hue, Contrast, Brightness and Sharpness. I have also noticed that in very few case do I like Movie Mode the best anymore. I always drift back to Standard or Medium. Movie might be okay for Movies, but for Day to Day Broadcast Standard is for me.
I personally would like to see all the producers stop trying to make movies look Old with all the grain and red to orange shift. I thought one of the best picture Quality BluRays I had seen in a while was The life of Pi. Pure ass sharp Quality and Glenee liked. In short I either like it or I don't. I will tell you, that this Display is becoming one of my Favorite's and ranks right at the Top in what I like. The next time I buy a Large set for the main Theater i am going to give Samsung a hard look, it does so many things well that I like, that I really don't care what it don't do correctly.
Let's just call it my Eyes and my Brain and My Money.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #15043 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

I must be the outcast or the weird Kid on the Block. I have had more Displays than I care to admit. I tried to always buy the latest and greatest. In my own personal journey, I have come to the conclusion that I like what I like. On some sets it was the calibrated settings and on some it wasn't. What I mean is that I think IMO that on some displays 6500K looks the best and on some displays it don't. I know, I know, weird right.
I now buy Displays cause I like the way they look. They may not be the most accurate the way I like them. Some technologies on certain sets I like, Then the same technology on a different Manufacture I don't. I know that I have Paid a lot of Money for new Technology, Bell's and Whistle's, Picture altering Gizmo's, and didn't like it and never used it. Let me tell you how that makes you feel.
I like the gray scale and color saturation levels that the calibrators post, because if somebody is wearing a Maroon Sweater I want it to look Maroon. After that I will set My own Color level, Hue, Contrast, Brightness and Sharpness. I have also noticed that in very few case do I like Movie Mode the best anymore. I always drift back to Standard or Medium. Movie might be okay for Movies, but for Day to Day Broadcast Standard is for me.
I personally would like to see all the producers stop trying to make movies look Old with all the grain and red to orange shift. I thought one of the best picture Quality BluRays I had seen in a while was The life of Pi. Pure ass sharp Quality and Glenee liked. In short I either like it or I don't. I will tell you, that this Display is becoming one of my Favorite's and ranks right at the Top in what I like. The next time I buy a Large set for the main Theater i am going to give Samsung a hard look, it does so many things well that I like, that I really don't care what it don't do correctly.
Let's just call it my Eyes and my Brain and My Money.

I agree with almost all of what you say. It mirrors almost how I feel about the whole d6500, correct calibration etc etc. I have my 8000 set for where Standard mode is amazing and almost as color accurate as my Movie mode but without the minimal flashlight and rare cloud that Movie mode can introduce. Standard does give blacker blacks and blacker letterbox bars so that is a "win". The dimming effect in Standard is quite tolerable. The minimal or rare flashlight in Movie is quite tolerable. I've rearranged furniture and lighting in my family room and those factors seem to favor Standard mode at this point.

Either way, irs an amazing panel one of the best in the world. Period. Not the best...one of the best. Well worth every penny I spent.

FW, your on your own bro's, i'll happily stay on 1046.2 until i see gobs of positive data from many threads and forums supporting any upgrade in FW or to an EVO.

I cant even count how many times i've said "i want a dumb tv with a great picture"...Angry Birds??? Streaming..Apps form the panel? Ha, you are asking for drama. Separate those tasks.

My family could never tell the difference if i flip back and forth between modes at this point. I am 11 months into life with my 8000 and simply love this panel more than ever.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #15044 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 12:11 PM

Liked: 17
EVOLUTION KIT INSTALLATIO!!!

I just installed the evolution kit, ya I guess its ok.....just kidding

I just thought everyone needed a laugh, theres been quite alot of hostility in this thread lately Well anyways cant wait until it comes out. I will buy it, its only $300, alot cheaper than a new tv.

Id just like to recommend The Life Of Pi 3D blu ray, it looks really cool.
I would also like to recommend Gangster Squad, the colors look awesome.
A good concert on blu ray is Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds live at Radio City

If anyone wants to stream movies from their pc to the tv, try PS3 Media Server, works great.

Yamaha RX-A3000, Oppo 95, Emotiva IPS-1, Emotiva RPA-1, Energy Veritas 1.8s, RC70s, LCR, RCRs, RC10s, Energy S12.3, Velodyne SPL-1200R
post #15045 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 12:29 PM

Liked: 15
I just got my i1 today and they haven't replaced my panel yet. I should be able to do some readings tomorrow and until I get a new panel. I'll do same readings on the new panel as well to see what difference there is. Not sure if I'll be able to finish my own calibration, but I will do some readings of factory Movie mode and 10ks Movie settings. Won't be doing anything with Standart mode however as I do not watch any TV, only Blu Ray movies.
post #15046 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 02:01 PM

Liked: 15
Wife is taking a nap so I couldn't resist and did a quick reading of 10ks Movie settings. I did a grey scale and all six colors. They seem to be actually pretty good on this panel, grey scale need few tweaks. This was Backlight set at 8.

Here is default Movie mode result:

post #15047 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Yes the ES8000 has "local" dimming without being at the hardware level. That's why it's called software based dimming and that's exactly why it can be improved via firmware. And especially via the evo kit where it has more processing power to analyze the image into more/smaller zones and apply the effect dynamically in a more accurate way

The higher up the ladder the set goes, the bigger the native contrast and the more zones they claim. Every year they claim the technology is better and the past few years they say it has improved with more zones/micro dimming as the sets have been given dual and now quad core chips. It is getting better in part because of the improved algorithms due to the power behind the image processing

Did you ever ask yourself why they called micro dimming ultimate a new feature in 2013 for the F series? When it had clearly been around for the ES8000 series for a year already. Sure they added the local edge lit local dimming back with the F series but micro dimming ultimate was in no way a completely new feature. So NO, I'm not saying that DNie on your 4 year old set is the exact same outdated process as today's micro dimming. That's about as far of a reach as Samsung claiming that they have never called anything micro dimming ultimate before. That's funny and I can see you like to twist my words around. From what I posted you should have clearly been able to see that I was just pointing to where all this technology began, but you got too happy to jump on the chance to twist my words around. Nice try there buddy

I'm not sure why you were perplexed at the reason they didn't auto-enable micro dimming in movie mode. Especially if you're coming from a scientific point of view as you claim. Wouldn't you want the most accurate image possible without all the post image processing? Or do you watch in Dynamic mode because that would explain a lot. Micro dimming is interesting to me, and I want to see where it will go and can go, but at the end of the day I don't need it. And to those who don't know micro dimming was their flagship feature for 2012 - yes it clearly was. None of the lower sets had the "ultimate" version with as many zones as they claimed for the ES8000, and it was the feature that set it apart from the features of other brands. Samsung even called it "local" dimming in some instances just to compete with the others whose flagship sets actually included real local hardware dimming. Would you dare say that the Sony HX929 or 950's full array local dimming is not its flagship feature? No. And Sammy sure was talking up their micro dimming to directly compete with it

I've been in this particular thread posting since day one and I've encountered a lot of really smart people. But I don't even know who you are and the first time I saw your name you were belittling another member and asking why they were even in here. Who are you? I don't know but you're going on my ignore list. Feel free to get that last word in because I'm sure you're the bigger man. Like I said I don't have all day to field ignorant posts and I this is exactly why I said that beforehand, because with some people you can just tell before you ever say a word to or even around them

dude you're going all over the places and putting words in my mouth. i simply pointed out the fact that what you said isn't true.
Quote:

. If you want to control the amout of the effect at all times use Movie Mode and use the Dynamic Contrast to control it. Because that's mostly what it is

Not too long ago I did some research reading back through more than 10 years of Samsung articles about micro dimming when it was a developing technology. And what I find out long story short is that its really just a dynamic contrast "enhancement". So if you want the most accurate picture possible whithout any post image processing features screwing with the accuracy of your tv you would obviously want to use Movie mode

But if you wanted to turn micro dimming on in movie mode and don't mind that it skewers accuracy just a bit then turn Dynamic contrast on low. Any higher than low is significantly more detrimental. It won't technically be the same thing, but since the feature is based on dynamic contrast you get the point. In Standard mode they actually use an even more subtle like 1/2x contrast effect. I believe the algorithms used in this process can be made significantly more effective with more processing power ala more "dimming zones" via the evo kit (which is why I'm looking forward to it)

dynamic contrast is NOT what micro dimming mostly is. and to suggest that it'll be that is simply ignorant. what you're suggesting is like saying Americans are mostly just like British, because they can both trace their routes to England, but you won't suggest someone to go to America to get the same effect as England. yes, Micro Dimming traces itself back to DNIe, but to suggest that turning on Dynamic Contrast will get the same result is simply ignorant. i tried to be nice but you're turning this into a flame war. incorrect information is incorrect information, if you had half a pair of balls, you would stand corrected. you can sugar coat it anyway you like, people need to know that Dynamic Contrast does NOT equal Micro Dimming, and it will not get you anywhere close to micro dimming.

the rest of what you said i have no idea what you were talking about. i wasn't arguing with any of Samsung's history, not sure where you got any of that responses from. you seem to be riding on a high horse thinking just because you posted more threads that makes you an expert? by that standard, whoever screams the loudest must be king then. having a silver club member doesn't make you special, it just means you don't get the annoying ads that the rest of us get. incorrect information is incorrect information. everyone makes mistakes it's knowing when to admit you've made one that's what makes this thread informative. not that you would, but if you visit my other responses on other threads that's audio related, you would see that i clearly stand myself correct when i mis-inform about certain issues. because at the end of the day, i learn a new piece of information. and it's the information that contributes to the community.

and wouldn't it be nice if Samsung gives us the "option" of micro dimming in movie mode, that way user has the choice to apply or leave it.

post #15048 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

Unfortunately the d7000 doesn't have local dimming or even edge local dimming. Samsungs Micro dimming is just an advance dynamic contrast software that increases contrast and decreases it in block sections on the screen.

The d7000 doesn't have the ability to individually control its leds, they are ether all on or all off. The d8000 has micro dimming plus which is a combo of the software and hardware, It has the ability to individually control its leds to have edge led local dimming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

sounds like a gimmicky excuse for real local dimming, dynamic contrast is found even on 'regular' CCFL-LCDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

Its a little more then basic dynamic contrast, its more like intelligent dynamic contrast. I have the Samsung d8000 with micro dimming plus, I can say its more then just a gimmick as my TV has great black levels without crushing them. The micro dimming is marketing that is confusing, one would think its full local dimming in the d7000. I do kinda think they are doing a disservice by having micro dimming d7000, micro dimming plus d8000. They could have called it something different to differ between the two better.

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #15049 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xitman View Post

Wife is taking a nap so I couldn't resist and did a quick reading of 10ks Movie settings. I did a grey scale and all six colors. They seem to be actually pretty good on this panel, grey scale need few tweaks. This was Backlight set at 8.

Here is default Movie mode result:

Interesting, thanks for posting that. Something is weird though, using same settings you get 180cdm2 at 100% white and I'm only getting 140? strange! I maybe did something careless and had eco sensor on when I did that last batch of settings. Now I'm going to have to go back and check everything again lol rolleyes.gif

One thing I noticed is that you have to be careful about where you place the meter. If there is any banding or clouds where you are taking readings it can really throw things off. I'm unsure as to how you are supposed to approach nonuniform screens like our sidelit LED's. I guess you just try and find the least messed up part of the screen and calibrate for that area.

:edit: maybe try my previous settings also if you have the curiosity smile.gif
post #15050 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry for the Confusion!
Submitted by Scott Wilkinson on March 22, 2012 - 10:07am.

It's true that all TVs in Samsung's 2011 lineup use edgelighting. However, some models in the 2011 and 2012 lines use a form of electronic "local dimming" called Micro Dimming, in which the LCD pixels are divided into zones and biased to adjust the gamma curve in each zone. In the 2011 models, Micro Dimming included two controls -- Dynamic Contrast which controlled the LCD pixels as described here, and Smart LED, which dynamically controlled the side-mounted LEDs. This year, there is no Smart LED, only the electronic contrast enhancement, which is now called Black Enhancer. The original Micro Dimming had only a few zones, while Micro Dimming Pro in the 7500 and 7550 series has many more. Micro Dimming Ultimate in the 8000 series has twice as many zones as Micro Dimming Pro

From the very reputable Scott Wilkinson at hometheater.com
Source: http://www.hometheater.com/content/led-backlighting-vs-edgelighting-0

This is for everyone who is not on my ignore list. I'm sure someone will spin this in some way. But as you can see I was not as far off from the truth as some thought I was and as some were themselves

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #15051 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 04:42 PM

^^^ so your point? you're just pointing out all the obvious that we've all talked about. Samsung's micro dimming is software based sub region dimming, thus they don't use the word local dimming which i have never disagreed. you keep digressing off topic, i simply was point out that you mentioned Dynamic contrast is basically micro dimming which for many times i've pointed out it's not true. for your information, i also had the ES6500 with basic dynamic contrast, and no it does NOT produce the same result as sub region based software micro dimming.

even your own quote pointed out that
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811

Its a little more then basic dynamic contrast, its more like intelligent dynamic contrast. I have the Samsung d8000 with micro dimming plus, I can say its more then just a gimmick as my TV has great black levels without crushing them.

and thanks to 10K, who have also pointed out that it does NOT produce the same image.

now please... who is spinning

post #15052 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

To paraphrase the quote above Scott simply stated that micro dimming is basically two things dynamic contrast and smart led or in this instance dynamic contrast and black enhancer. I dont deny that there may be other factors in tandem as well in Standard (such as CE dimming for one). If you would like to turn those two features on in movie mode, more power to you

www.iamsecond.com/films
post #15053 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:

To paraphrase the quote above Scott simply stated that micro dimming is basically two things dynamic contrast and smart led or in this instance dynamic contrast and black enhancer. I dont deny that there may be other factors in tandem as well in Standard (such as CE dimming for one). If you would like to turn those two features on in movie mode, more power to you

thank you. that's what i was trying to point out.

post #15054 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigraytk View Post

New update available!!!

Yes.... 1051!! I just installed it.... So far so good!

Anyone have the release notes?
post #15055 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Badabing, what fw did you upgrade from and what improvements do you see?

post #15056 of 16274 Old 05-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Couldn't sleep so I calibrated Standard mode. I checked against backlight 11, 8 and 3 and its all within acceptable error for those brightness levels. Overall I think this looks pretty close to as good as my Movie mode settings, but there is the added benefit of less clouding if you dont get too annoyed by the backlight changing brightness when scenes change.
standard mode settings 5/12/13 (Click to show)
Standard
Backlight 8 (37ftl) to 11 (49ftl)
Contrast 70
Brightness 44
Sharpness 15 (preference)
Color 50
TInt 50/50

ADVANCED SETTINGS
Dynamic Contrast Off
Black Tone Off
Flesh Tone 0
Gamma -2
Motion Lighting Off

WHITE BALANCE
26 25 22 24 34 1

COLOR SPACE Custom
Red 31 3 0
Green 6 51 0
Blue 0 4 48
Yellow 51 48 3
Cyan 3 49 54
Magenta 31 5 47

PICTURE OPTIONS
Color Tone Warm2
Noise Filters Off
HDMI Black Level Normal (set for your equipment)
Auto Motion Plus Clear
LED Motion Plus Off
Standard mode calibration charts (Click to show)

hcfr measurements file standard mode measures.zip 4k .zip file
eric3316 likes this.
post #15057 of 16274 Old 05-12-2013, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

Badabing, what fw did you upgrade from and what improvements do you see?

I went from 1048 to 1051. Everything looks the same so far. My calibration is still spot on. I did notice that my HULU app got upgraded. I can now choose from three resolutions.. Standard, HD, and HDX. I need more time to check things out. Everything is working great so far. This TV just keeps getting better.
post #15058 of 16274 Old 05-12-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Well somehow I got lucky. I had a single dead pixel on the left side center of my display. I have been checking it ever so often, when I thought about it. It's never been a problem, I always figured that if this is as Bad as it gets I'm a winner.
I just upgraded to the new update, and guess what no more dead pixel. I don't think it was the upgrade, more like it just decide to work. Weird though isn't it.

10K those are some impressive color charts. Good Job !

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #15059 of 16274 Old 05-12-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Thanks for those settings 10k. Looks good on my es7500!
post #15060 of 16274 Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10k View Post

Couldn't sleep so I calibrated Standard mode. I checked against backlight 11, 8 and 3 and its all within acceptable error for those brightness levels. Overall I think this looks pretty close to as good as my Movie mode settings, but there is the added benefit of less clouding if you dont get too annoyed by the backlight changing brightness when scenes change.
standard mode settings 5/12/13 (Click to show)
Standard
Backlight 8 (37ftl) to 11 (49ftl)
Contrast 70
Brightness 44
Sharpness 15 (preference)
Color 50
TInt 50/50

ADVANCED SETTINGS
Dynamic Contrast Off
Black Tone Off
Flesh Tone 0
Gamma -2
Motion Lighting Off

WHITE BALANCE
26 25 22 24 34 1

COLOR SPACE Custom
Red 31 3 0
Green 6 51 0
Blue 0 4 48
Yellow 51 48 3
Cyan 3 49 54
Magenta 31 5 47

PICTURE OPTIONS
Color Tone Warm2
Noise Filters Off
HDMI Black Level Normal (set for your equipment)
Auto Motion Plus Clear
LED Motion Plus Off
Standard mode calibration charts (Click to show)

hcfr measurements file standard mode measures.zip 4k .zip file

Sorry if you said which firmware you did these Standard settings for, I went through the notes a couple of times and couldn't tell....but is this for Firmware update 1051?
Thanks for the work you put in 10K...smile.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page