post #15211 of 16208 Old 05-16-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by photai View Post

I was thinking the exact same thing when I put them in. I also have the 60''. I've tried many suggested setting but to this day I still keep going back to the Standard Nitra setting.
Standard Nitra?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15212 of 16208 Old 05-16-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Mavinwow I say it in the same place gamermwm saw it.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #15213 of 16208 Old 05-16-2013, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Standard Nitra?

If you search the bowels of this thread, a poster named Nitra was the only guy with a meter who had very commonly used settings. Then 10K and others got meters and Nitra disappeared, but he was the pioneer of helping folks with settings.

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
post #15214 of 16208 Old 05-16-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

It's in the ES8000 thread page 15 by TonyaNorway
As for motion due to the quad core, I'd have to hear from an F8000 owner that has experience with the ES8000 that motion handling is actually better with a quad core before fully buying that. Not that I really doubt it, but it seems that Samsung has had motion issues forever

Also, worst case scenario, since noone has confirmed any new menu options as of yet, the tech in the quote above saying some "options" will be included from 2013 TV's - that could be just limited to the Smart Hub "options" and of course the Web Browser Text Enhancement option as that's the only one that I saw was basically confirmed by Samsung before the kit was released

I previously owned the ES7500, as some might remember who have been here long-term. I had many issues with the Auto Motion Plus - specifically, clear was the only mode that worked without stutter, other than custom (judder reduction=0, blur reduction=10) - this custom setting worked well for me too.

After getting a full refund due to the set being defective, I took the chance on buying the F8000. I can say after using it for a few weeks that the motion issues are not improved even slightly with the quad-core processing - in fact, it's worse than ever!

Clear is still the only mode in AMP that works without stuttering badly, but on top of that, the custom blu reduction setting I used to use last year no longer works without bad stutter. Also, for some reason, it uses some forced frame interpolation (meaning soap opera effect) on all PAL and 25.000fps content, from DVD sources, HDMI, and even .mkv files played directly through the USB port via the built-in media player. I've tested my HDTV FiOS over HDMI and component, set to both 720p and also 1080i - it all stutters the same. There is simply no improvement whatsoever in the motion handling of the F8000 compared to the ES series. Samsung is lying.

Also, for some reason, with that custom setting, which should mean motion interpolation is off, some HDTV channels still show motion interpolation, and the soap opera effect is obvious when you switch AMP back and forth between off and custom, even with judder reduction on 0.

When I called Samsung on that issue a couple days ago, they acted like they've never heard anything about that before (sound familiar)? Bottom line - don't believe that motion handling is improved with the quad-core processor. It isn't. I was hoping the quad-core would improve AMP also - sadly it doesn't. But should we really be surprised?
gamermwm likes this.
post #15215 of 16208 Old 05-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I previously owned the ES7500, as some might remember who have been here long-term. I had many issues with the Auto Motion Plus - specifically, clear was the only mode that worked without stutter, other than custom (judder reduction=0, blur reduction=10) - this custom setting worked well for me too.

There is simply no improvement whatsoever in the motion handling of the F8000 compared to the ES series. Samsung is lying.

Also, for some reason, with that custom setting, which should mean motion interpolation is off, some HDTV channels still show motion interpolation, and the soap opera effect is obvious when you switch AMP back and forth between off and custom, even with judder reduction on 0.

When I called Samsung on that issue a couple days ago, they acted like they've never heard anything about that before (sound familiar)? Bottom line - don't believe that motion handling is improved with the quad-core processor. It isn't. I was hoping the quad-core would improve AMP also - sadly it doesn't. But should we really be surprised?

Wow. I appreciate the insight. As I remember from earlier in the thread you were always very keen to the nuances of these sets. What do you think of the "lightning fast" quad core Smart Hub and the remote? How big of an impact does the edge lit local dimming have on the F8000? What are your overall thoughts on the effectiveness of Cinema Black and Smart LED...etc

post #15216 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

After getting a full refund due to the set being defective, I took the chance on buying the F8000. I can say after using it for a few weeks that the motion issues are not improved even slightly with the quad-core processing - in fact, it's worse than ever!

Clear is still the only mode in AMP that works without stuttering badly, but on top of that, the custom blu reduction setting I used to use last year no longer works without bad stutter. Also, for some reason, it uses some forced frame interpolation (meaning soap opera effect) on all PAL and 25.000fps content, from DVD sources, HDMI, and even .mkv files played directly through the USB port via the built-in media player. I've tested my HDTV FiOS over HDMI and component, set to both 720p and also 1080i - it all stutters the same. There is simply no improvement whatsoever in the motion handling of the F8000 compared to the ES series. Samsung is lying.

You should probably return the set if you're not happy with it.
post #15217 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

Wow. I appreciate the insight. As I remember from earlier in the thread you were always very keen to the nuances of these sets. What do you think of the "lightning fast" quad core Smart Hub and the remote? How big of an impact does the edge lit local dimming have on the F8000? What are your overall thoughts on the effectiveness of Cinema Black and Smart LED...etc

These are only my own observations, but here goes:

- the "lightning fast" quad core Smart Hub is pretty impressive. It does hiccup here and there when switching screens, but overall it's very fluid and quite impressive. The whole interface is very slick. The built-in media player interface is especially stunning.

- The touch remote feels very high-quality, and the touch itself is much better than the ES series remote. But it's still very frustrating to use in my opinion. I'm constantly swiping just a tad too much towards the up or down when I think I'm wiping across, thus selecting the wrong things constantly. It's actually quite counter-intuitive at times. Using it for inputting settings is especially frustrating. Other times I don't mid it so much. I did order a replacement remote to avoid those frustrations:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Universal-Remote-Control-3DTVs/dp/B0099CHEAY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=EX93TXY1XJBI&coliid=I2N0HP6IGJ9I9K

Works with ES and F series models - I highly recommend it - I just received mine the other day. Check Ebay - some Asian dealers are selling them brand new for $10 and free shipping, which is what I paid - it took less than 2 weeks to receive it. The entire remote is nicely illuminated, and feels very high-quality with brushed metal and chrome. Get this remote - you won't regret it!

The micro-dimming is nothing new - it's the same thing from the ES series, but it seems to do a better job in my opinion. The F8000 has a setting called "SMART LED" that seems to control micro-dimming in all picture modes now - so you can enable it in standard or movie and adjust low, standard, or high. With it off, there is no auto-dimming/CE -Dimming in movie mode, and the CE-Dimming effect is much less annoying in standard mode than it was in the ES series. It's very tolerable. Enabling SMART LED does introduce some auto-dimming, but on low it is quite tolerable, and I wouldn't suggest putting it on anything other than low, as higher settings can cause highlight clipping. Low works perfectly - it improves the image, and has a very noticeable effect on black levels. Black levels with SMART LED off is not too impressive, but with it on low, the blacks look quite deep without any crushing. Considering how much I hated the auto-dimming last year, this is high praise for how well SMART LED handles things - the dimming is noticeable at times but very minor, and the gain is far better black levels, better contrast, and improved image.

The color is very nice - I'm very happy with the color this year. Very accurate with a few small adjustments. The screen still turns off when the screen displays black but there's an easy way around that (like last year - just bump up the brightness a couple notches until the screen stays on during black fades, and then drop the offsets down accordingly). Because the auto-dimming isn't too offensive this year, I don't use that trick to defeat the auto-dimming because that's actually desirable to help improve the blacks.

Cinema Black is very impressive - I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first but I can't imagine not using it now that I've I've been using it for a couple weeks. It does indeed deepen the blacks bars noticeably - in fact I'm amazed how black the bars look with Cinema Black enabled. It does cause a minor "vignetting" effect that dims the outer edges of the video picture where it meets the bars, since the LEDs that dim to darken the bars slightly affects the edge of the video, but you really don't notice it unless you switch back-and-forth to see the difference. Like all things with these tv's, it's a trade-off. Deep black bars at the expense of a tiny bit of dimming just around the upper and lower edges of the video frame - it's worth it, and you really can't notice the dimming of the video - it's only at the edges and very subtle. It also seems quite stable - I see no flickering of any type with Cinema Black enabled.

Overall uniformity is also vastly improved. There is absolutely zero clouding. None. Samsung has moved all the internal components that create heat to the outside area in the back - if you look at a picture of the back you'll see what I mean - Samsung said in the shootout that eliminates clouding, as the clouding was actually caused by the hot components up against the screen, creating hot spots, like the infamous "V". I'd say it works because I have seen no clouding. There is a bit of flashlighting in the corners, so that isn't eliminated - that's just how these edge-lit sets are I guess. I will also mention that I've got my 3rd set arriving next week - the first two both had a dead pixel. So that's something to be aware of. Both sets so far had zero clouding, and the 2nd set has a bit more flashlighting than I'd like to see. The first one looked amazing other than the dead pixel.

As I said, AMP is still quirky and stuttery, which is unfortunate. I'm in the process of trying to get Samsung to understand that it isn't functioning smoothly - I have a feeling in the end they'll do nothing about it. Which is a shame because blur reduction would be a nice feature like last year, but it's not very useful since it just causes stuttering for me. And game mode is truly awful this year. I did my own lag tests, and game mode came in around 80ms on average. Non-game mode was around 80-100ms. Dreadful for gaming. But, the good news is PC mode comes in around 18-38ms, which is very impressive, and PC mode also supports 4:4:4 chroma processing, so that mode is really the only mode to use for gaming. Sadly you do lose access to virtually all image settings in PC mode, but it's a great mode overall for gaming, and there are 2 different presets this year for PC mode.

Sorry for such a long post - bottom line, the F8000 is not perfect - but it is vast improvement over last year in my opinion. If I can just find one without dead pixels, I think this might be the set I end up keeping. Hope this helped a bit - I know my posts tend to be long.
gamermwm likes this.
post #15218 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

These are only my own observations, but here goes:
- The touch remote feels very high-quality, and the touch itself is much better than the ES series remote. But it's still very frustrating to use in my opinion. I'm constantly swiping just a tad too much towards the up or down when I think I'm wiping across, thus selecting the wrong things constantly. It's actually quite counter-intuitive at times. Using it for inputting settings is especially frustrating. Other times I don't mid it so much. I did order a replacement remote to avoid those frustrations:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Universal-Remote-Control-3DTVs/dp/B0099CHEAY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=EX93TXY1XJBI&coliid=I2N0HP6IGJ9I9K

Works with ES and F series models - I highly recommend it - I just received mine the other day. Check Ebay - some Asian dealers are selling them brand new for $10 and free shipping, which is what I paid - it took less than 2 weeks to receive it. The entire remote is nicely illuminated, and feels very high-quality with brushed metal and chrome. Get this remote - you won't regret it!

Hey Eagle, by chance does this Sammy remote work another component as well such as a soundbar or is it for the TV only?

I hope all works out for you with the f8000.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #15219 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Nice informative post Eagle. I think you broke down your observations nicely and well put. I hope that the next panel is the one for you. It is quite evident that you have a quality eye and certain things bother you more than others, which is to be expected with your type of expertise.
Thanks again for the nice read.

post #15220 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 07:46 AM

Liked: 15
Samsung failed to deliver on the refund promise yet again. I haven't heard anything from repair tech guy that was supposed come "inspect" my TV, so I gave Samsung a call. Turns out the refunds department refused to get me my money back and decided that they would just keep repairing the TV. All without telling me any of this even though I clearly told them I wouldn't accept another panel replacement.

I'm so beyond frustrated with them I cannot even begin to describe it. I spent over 30 min on hold waiting to speak to a manager who basically told me tough luck and gave me an email address (officeofpresident@sea.samsung.com) to escalate my issue further. So far I haven't heard anything back.

I know some of you had many panels or TVs replaced, but I'm drawing the line at 3 (original + 2 replacements). To me this is unacceptable when you spend this much money on a TV. I'm hoping I can resolve this with Samsung.

Sorry for venting...
post #15221 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

Hey Eagle, by chance does this Sammy remote work another component as well such as a soundbar or is it for the TV only?

I hope all works out for you with the f8000.

TV only.

And thanks, I'm hoping it works out too. wink.gif
post #15222 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post

Nice informative post Eagle. I think you broke down your observations nicely and well put. I hope that the next panel is the one for you. It is quite evident that you have a quality eye and certain things bother you more than others, which is to be expected with your type of expertise.
Thanks again for the nice read.

Thanks a ton for the kind words. I'm really just another owner like many in here, but I've learned over time to be very picky with video quality. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so picky and I might not notice little things that might not bother some owners.

My experience so far with my F8000 sets has been mixed. Overall, it seems like a nice step-up from the ES7500 I previously owned, especially regarding the lack of clouding which was the worst aspect of my ES7500. But it's still a Samsung - so things like AMP can be very annoying because it just doesn't work very well, especially with HDTV signals. And the touch remote is annoying as hell - I'm so glad I was tipped off to that remote by another user in the F8000 flagship models thread. And if my third set still has dead pixels, I'm not sure at that point what I will do. I'm really hoping that won't be the case.
post #15223 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xitman View Post

Samsung failed to deliver on the refund promise yet again. I haven't heard anything from repair tech guy that was supposed come "inspect" my TV, so I gave Samsung a call. Turns out the refunds department refused to get me my money back and decided that they would just keep repairing the TV. All without telling me any of this even though I clearly told them I wouldn't accept another panel replacement.

I'm so beyond frustrated with them I cannot even begin to describe it. I spent over 30 min on hold waiting to speak to a manager who basically told me tough luck and gave me an email address (officeofpresident@sea.samsung.com) to escalate my issue further. So far I haven't heard anything back.

I know some of you had many panels or TVs replaced, but I'm drawing the line at 3 (original + 2 replacements). To me this is unacceptable when you spend this much money on a TV. I'm hoping I can resolve this with Samsung.

Sorry for venting...

Sorry to hear that. Don't accept any garbage from them. I was told tough luck too, but in the end I didn't give up, and it paid off. If I went away like they wanted me to in the beginning I wouldn't have my F8000 now, I'd still be stuck with my lousy ES7500 which had multiple issues. After 2 replacements you should be getting a refund.
post #15224 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My evo kit shipped, arrives saturday. I have a pretty crazy weekend but will try to get up some quick thoughts/pics.

My ES8000 settings, calibrated with an i1D3 and calman: Standard Mode, Movie Mode (out of date, will update soon)
CalMAN 5 Novice Walkthrough
post #15225 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 11:50 AM

Liked: 10
My review of the Evo kit:

Ok i have UN60ES8000. i got my evolution kit today overnight. paid 215. i started off saying might not get it..but once released i ordered yesterday

1. It is more than a smart hub upgrade. Honestly.... The menu, smart hub, settings All look like the unXXF8000 series. so its a total revamp of the menu setup etc. It does basically make ur tv "like" the UNXXF8000. however as stated black optimizer etc is probably not there as maybe the tv is not capable of it....that im not sure why. but your software version will be 1003 when ur finish. hence forward ur updates will probably be coming from the F series from now on.

2. Why it maybe a benefit to upgrade now?
If these things do sell well, the companies that we are getting them from for under retail. will start selling at MSRP. so just something to think about it. But for me I feel like the evolution kit completed my 8000 series experience. samsung fixed what they missed last year. as i stated from the remote to the menus its just like the F series 8000. so if you use the IR blaster with ur STB and ur blu ray player. You get much better coordination with your tv. I now can use One remote finally! your options are really right at ur fingertips with this one remote..instead of being limited as much with prev remote.

3. the last thing is the Quad Core processor.
It HELPS!. it speeds the menu and the tv performance. while picture maynot be so much improved, (which maybe debate in a few months..cause something is different..im not sure what it is..but it just seems a lil better to me, but i could be wrong).
its just like a computer guys. you upgrade the processer to add more cores and you get lot better speed and can do way more. these tvs nowadays are like gigantic computers. and we are using applications. (apps) which in term the processors are providing better experience using applications.

now to decide if you want to buy is strictly a personal decision. for me it honestly benefited me. Depending on how much u paid for your tv. adding 200$ to what u paid maybe a big deal and i understand. But for those who have been getting these tvs for 2300-2500$. this isnt bad. I ended up getting my tv for 2799$. got the free soundbar, which i sold for 200$ so. i think it was a win-win.

also anynet works much better as well. im going thru my sony receiver for my blu ray player and the tv recognizes my samsung 3d player fine and i can use one remote no prob fully functional. before because i went thru receiver the samsung blu ray player functions were limited.

but honestly..when has a processor upgrade been under 200$. it happens but not often. now could samsung have done this better. YES much better.!! but im gonna say its not a waste. just hopefully in the future they learn from this experience

Also most of my information stayed. like my apps. now im not sure about my custom settings to picture quality. ill have to check that
Edited by coreydt - Today at 11:28 am
post #15226 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 12:33 PM

Liked: 25
After reading that I'm probably going to be sitting on the sidelines in this game for awhile. I am one of the few how doesn't have a problem with the touch remote, and the new " F8000 look and feel" of the menus isn't going to get me to part with $200 yet. Didn't somebody get it for $170? Thanks for the first review of the Evo Kit on this thread though. Very good.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #15227 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 12:37 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavinwow View Post

My evo kit shipped, arrives saturday. I have a pretty crazy weekend but will try to get up some quick thoughts/pics.
Please do I'm awaiting someone with use of a meter to see if the defaults have changed
post #15228 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

After reading that I'm probably going to be sitting on the sidelines in this game for awhile. I am one of the few how doesn't have a problem with the touch remote, and the new " F8000 look and feel" of the menus isn't going to get me to part with $200 yet. Didn't somebody get it for $170? Thanks for the first review of the Evo Kit on this thread though. Very good.
I agree, if you can get a Roku 3 for under $100 what is Samsung's box giving you that is worth $200-$300 if it is only enhancing the smart features?
post #15229 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 01:31 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

I agree, if you can get a Roku 3 for under $100 what is Samsung's box giving you that is worth $200-$300 if it is only enhancing the smart features?
One thing I thought of is our Smarthub's sound isn't 5.1 Dolby, I think it's stereo. That's why a lot of people use other streaming devices. I would be interested to know whether the Evo Kit changes the sound output from the Apps (Netflix, Vudu) to 5.1.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #15230 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post

One thing I thought of is our Smarthub's sound isn't 5.1 Dolby, I think it's stereo. That's why a lot of people use other streaming devices. I would be interested to know whether the Evo Kit changes the sound output from the Apps (Netflix, Vudu) to 5.1.

That's not true. Plex media player have DTS and DD5.1 for example.
post #15231 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Coreydt, your efforts are much appreciated. Excellent first wave reporting.

I will remain on the sideline until more data rolls in.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #15232 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 02:40 PM

yes people are getting them for 170 with free shipping. but stock is hard to catch. doesnt seem like many are out just yet
post #15233 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 02:43 PM

as far as 5.1sound. most of our tv's usually will never put out 5.1 HD sound. because most manufacturers dont encode this on the tv. which is why most people use receivers.

netflix with evo kit. only does dolby digital 5.1

where as my samsung blu ray player does dolby digital plus 5.1 and 7.1
the tv cant handle this unfortunately. but on samsung blu ray players you do have the option of uncompressed sound.
post #15234 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

I am going to wait until Mavinwow get's his and makes his report. I am not holding my breath from what I have read on several forums. It seems that it doesn't do the main thing I would purchase it for, and I already have too many App enabled devices already. It may be a wonderful purchase for some others, but I can already surf the Web on my Tv's and use sevices such as Netflix Via all my BluRay players. It just not for me, if it does not improve picture in any way.
Too all who purchase the EVO Kit I am sure you will enjoy the faster processor and better GUI. I just don't use that stuff very often.

post #15235 of 16208 Old 05-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreydt View Post

yes people are getting them for 170 with free shipping. but stock is hard to catch. doesnt seem like many are out just yet

Beachaudio.com still has 2 left in stock currently for 183. I just got through ordering one myself. I can see why Samsung would not actively advertise picture improvements, even if there were some. It just seems like that would be setting themselves up for a lawsuit from those who don't see much improvement. They could have at least added some new gimmicky options to play with in the menu, the lazy bunch that they are. But oh well, here's to the possibility of more zones/better algorithm in the micro dimming software via the quad core processor, more memory for useless apps, a new smart hub that I just paid way too much for, a video codec that may not be introduced for awhile, and meh some possible improvement through future firmware updates. As a home theatre buff/techie I'll be happy just to have something new to play with and talk about for awhile

Edit: Now they're also sold out. Looks like it might be hard to find for awhile until May 28

post #15236 of 16208 Old 05-18-2013, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

After starting out with cheap LG LED TV's, then moving up the ladder to the LG 55lm7600, then trying an 60ST60, now back to an 60es7500 I am really amazed what these companies pull with these TV's. The lower end models have terrible clouding and you need to spend more and more to get some sort of local dimming to your black screen can appear black and not a screen with white clouds all over it.

This is really a crock of sh.T! Shouldn't these companies strive to make TV's with uniform screens? Why do you need to by the top of the line LED's to get better looking screens? I understand spending more money to get an overall better pq but shouldn't they at least be required to manufacture the best uniform screen in all models!

On my es7500, my screen is great in the light on standard mode or movie mode. In total darkness the micro dimming works great on standard mode, on movie mode since it does not work I need to lower the brightness all the way down to 1 which pretty much removes any sign of clouding. Why wouldn't then strive to remove all signs of clouding in all modes on these TV's! Stop with the standard dimming, micro dimming, and ultimate dimming BS! They probably all cost the same to make so why not just give us a uniform LED screen no matter the model that we purchase!!!!!!

Why do I need to purchase a new TV if I wanted cinema black for wide screen movies. Update the sw in older models to give us this as well! Why should we suffer with none fully black bars. Shouldn't they want to give their customers the best experience with their TV. Do they really think people are going to spend 2k-3k every year on a new TV. Oh wait, that was what the evo kit was for. NOT! They just want to give you a prettier GUI that pretty much cost them nothing and they are going to charge you a ridiculous price for it. No improvements to screen uniformity that newer models carry......

Ok, rant over. Just really frustrating to deal with this after coming from a plasma where the biggest argument isn't if your black screen has white clouds and light all over it but how black your black screen can actual get!
post #15237 of 16208 Old 05-18-2013, 04:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Eric, Your right. they should have just as much quality control in assembly of the cheapest as the best. I used to have all Kuro Plasma Displays, now I have all LED Displays. I just got tired of everybody shoving Black as the most importantt aspect of a Display. I think that White is just as important as Black. I say this cause I just got to the point where there had to be something better than Ice in a hockey rink looking like someone took a Big old urination on it. I got tired of my Snow looking Dirty grey. Colors bleeding over into white. I have found that If you have good whites the picture looks a little closer to looking out a window and I personally like the Pop. Everytime I watch something it doesn't look like a cloudy Day. I don't have to spend a entire weekend running a screen cleaner to remove IR cause my wife left the TV on Fox News for 6 hours.
If Black is everything why do these things bother me.
Just my Humble opinion and you know what they Say about Opinions everyone has one.
I for one am someone who is glad to be Off the plasma Train.

post #15238 of 16208 Old 05-18-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Eric, Your right. they should have just as much quality control in assembly of the cheapest as the best. I used to have all Kuro Plasma Displays, now I have all LED Displays. I just got tired of everybody shoving Black as the most importantt aspect of a Display. I think that White is just as important as Black. I say this cause I just got to the point where there had to be something better than Ice in a hockey rink looking like someone took a Big old urination on it. I got tired of my Snow looking Dirty grey. Colors bleeding over into white. I have found that If you have good whites the picture looks a little closer to looking out a window and I personally like the Pop. Everytime I watch something it doesn't look like a cloudy Day. I don't have to spend a entire weekend running a screen cleaner to remove IR cause my wife left the TV on Fox News for 6 hours.
Just my Humble opinion and you know what they Say about Opinions everyone has one.
I left the ST60 due to IR issues.

I don't really care how black the black is on these LEDs but a black screen should at least all be the same color no matter if you spend $500 our $5,000. Different levels of micro dimming is just crazy. It is not like it is different black levels, it is a feature to give you a more uniform screen which is something you would just expect your TV to have in the first place.
post #15239 of 16208 Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hear ya Glenee. I have always said BLACK is NOT the only important factor...whites must also be accurate.

I always say the kuro was the best PQ in its day...., i always thought the kuro was a tad overrated meaning as great as it was/is , i never thought it was quite as lifelike as described, especially at those dollars. Just like today, the Elite is a tad overrated.

BUT... all that said, in total compliment, the gap between kuro and any 2nd best then was IMHO much wider than the gap in PQ between the the best now (if its indeed the Elite) and its runner up in lcd or plasma today. The gap now is , IMHO, extremely narrow today between the top half dozen panels. Thats a good thing.

The kuro was clearly the dominator in its heyday adding to its "legend". That day, although justa few years ago, is clearly over. I remember the kuro well.

Many plasma supporters inflate the negatives of led-lcd and minimize the issues inherent in plasma, and thats okay. They thrive on black and viewing angle. My house does not have crazy wide seating angles that wash out my screen.

What i love most of all is that Ya dont have to pay Elite or Kuro pricing for an amazing picture.

Quote:

I left the ST60 due to IR issues.

I don't really care how black the black is on these LEDs but a black screen should at least all be the same color no matter if you spend $500 our $5,000. Different levels of micro dimming is just crazy. It is not like it is different black levels, it is a feature to give you a more uniform screen which is something you would just expect your TV to have in the first place.
...DITTO ...see above please

post #15240 of 16208 Old 05-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Really, really good points by Glenee, Bladerunner & Eric.

Trying to get the "be all, end all" TV set is pretty elusive. Black levels are great but I think the black levels on our Sammy LCD/LED sets are superb. I chose the LCD/LED over the Plasma for many reasons - - heat issues, IR and to me, general "pop" of the PQ plus 3D performance.

There are many Plasma Purists out there (especially with CNET) that continue to push the Plasma "accuracy" and "best picture" message that to me is contrary to my own eyes. But I never let that affect my buying decision. It's not important to me to have the number one rated set - - by anyone's standards. I tried to buy within my price range and the best possible PQ to my eyes - - that's it! Everything else is just icing on the cake. I do not use any of the "Smart Apps" with my Sammy 65" and probably never will. Hence - - the Evo (or Smart Evo?) Kit has no allure for me. I don't even surf the net with my Sammy anymore - - I use my Samsung Tablet 10.2"

And it's o.k. if you are a Plasma Purist and believe that Plasma is a far superior picture to LCD/LED. Just don't say that everyone else is "stupid" or they don't know what they are doing when buying a TV. And vice-versa.

Lastly - - this forum has been a tremendous resource in helping me get the very best out of my set. It's literally day and night - - the PQ - - compared to when I first bought this set back in August, 2012, and today - - NO comparison!

Between the firmware updates and the information I have gained from the settings on this forum - - I have an incredible viewing experience and always look forward to watching my Sammy TV!

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page