Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 541 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16201 of 16222 Old 07-07-2014, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
thx for the flex cable video, good to know that just in case.

LoD80k, i am using firmware 1047 & haven't had any issues with it.
Also i run my tv like 18hrs a day for the last 18 months & it's running great.
I too am scared of updating to the latest firmware but if i get that new 2014 evo kit i'll have to update.

SEK-2000/ZA....Any GOOD ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16202 of 16222 Old 07-07-2014, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OugaBooga View Post
thx for the flex cable video, good to know that just in case.

LoD80k, i am using firmware 1047 & haven't had any issues with it.
Also i run my tv like 18hrs a day for the last 18 months & it's running great.
I too am scared of updating to the latest firmware but if i get that new 2014 evo kit i'll have to update.
I think the software update is in the 1050+. is it possible to only update to 1047 or is it an all or nothing? did 1047 show you any improved picture quality from previous software?
post #16203 of 16222 Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspace View Post
OK...Main panel (display) has been replaced. I'm pleased again. I have some photos of the process. Please see below.

Nice detailed pic's, i wish you had more with the panel taken apart &/or with those boards removed to see the ribbons & stuff )

post #16204 of 16222 Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoD80k View Post
I think the software update is in the 1050+. is it possible to only update to 1047 or is it an all or nothing? did 1047 show you any improved picture quality from previous software?
I think the last big improvement pretty much every1 agreed on was 1045 i think, the 1 before 1047.
There was an overall better PQ & it fixed some stuff like flash lighting i had on the top & bottom but my flash lighting was very minimal to begin with.I have no flash lighting now since the initial great 1045 update & uniformity is very good on my set.
Other then 1 time that i had a horizontal green line with a black bar above it which ONLY showed while watching TV for 10 mins there's been no other issues.
I have NEVER used the hand stuff or voice so maybe that's 1 reason things have been good for me.
I also don't have much use for the smart hub either, i find it slow.

post #16205 of 16222 Old 07-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The last update and the version I am currently on is 1051.2

I have since unhooked my internet connection to my Sammy set and all is good. I get a fantastic picture in conjunction with my Darbee Darblet.

For grins, I took a look at the new Samsung and Vizio sets at my local Costco. The Sammy sets still look better. Vizio is suppose to come out with a new P series, 4K and they also have a R-Reference Series, although I do not know how that will be positioned against against the P 4K series - - I'm not sure of the bells and whistles over the 4K/Ultra HD P sets.

BUT...no 3D from Vizio. The new sets have abandoned this format (I still enjoy it!) and believe content will be available in the future via streaming using the new HEVC - H.265 compression protocol.

I'm still very happy with my Sammy set and hope it stays that way in the future! I can't see any upgrades to my system for four to five years.

Best - Rico

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #16206 of 16222 Old 07-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have not posted on this forum in a long time, but quite by accident, last night I stumbled upon a way to turn off the annoying CE-dimming in Standard mode on my UN60ES8000. And, the difference is, well..., night and day!

Like I say, this happened accidentally when I selected the wrong input with the remote's Source button. After a recent DirecTV Genie upgrade, I now have some sort of DTV media server (that I have never used) as a source on my TV. When I noticed I selected the wrong source I cancelled out of the server startup and switched inputs to DVI-2. Then, all of a sudden...BINGO! The CE-dimming in Standard mode was turned off.

When what happened finally sunk in and I realized I was seeing what I was really seeing, I stuck the Disney WOW disc into my OPPO Blu-ray player and headed straight to the expert calibration tools. The results were startling. I immediately had to back down the backlight from its previous setting of 10, to 6. With more time and further tweaks, I'm sure I could go even lower (say 4 or 5). Once I did that, I slightly adjusted the Brightness and Contrast and then checked out the three test images. Wow! I observed a level of black detail I have never before seen on this TV, plus no crushed blacks or blooming whites. Basically, I was getting the full benefit of Standard mode processing (micro-dimming ultimate, etc) without the full screen annoyance of CE-dimming.

I even checked out a couple of 3D Blu-rays (including the previously problematic Avengers disc). Once again, my previous 3D backlight setting of 14 had to be cranked down to 6. Once I did that, the 3D popped off the screen and there was a newfound depth and clarity to the overall picture with virtually no cross-talk (where before, there had been much with this particular disc).

So, what does it all mean? I'm not exactly sure, but for one thing, it means CE-dimming CAN be turned off on ES8000 series TVs. Why Samsung has steadfastly been keeping this a secret is anyone's guess.
post #16207 of 16222 Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post
I have not posted on this forum in a long time, but quite by accident, last night I stumbled upon a way to turn off the annoying CE-dimming in Standard mode on my UN60ES8000. And, the difference is, well..., night and day!

Like I say, this happened accidentally when I selected the wrong input with the remote's Source button. After a recent DirecTV Genie upgrade, I now have some sort of DTV media server (that I have never used) as a source on my TV. When I noticed I selected the wrong source I cancelled out of the server startup and switched inputs to DVI-2. Then, all of a sudden...BINGO! The CE-dimming in Standard mode was turned off.

When what happened finally sunk in and I realized I was seeing what I was really seeing, I stuck the Disney WOW disc into my OPPO Blu-ray player and headed straight to the expert calibration tools. The results were startling. I immediately had to back down the backlight from its previous setting of 10, to 6. With more time and further tweaks, I'm sure I could go even lower (say 4 or 5). Once I did that, I slightly adjusted the Brightness and Contrast and then checked out the three test images. Wow! I observed a level of black detail I have never before seen on this TV, plus no crushed blacks or blooming whites. Basically, I was getting the full benefit of Standard mode processing (micro-dimming ultimate, etc) without the full screen annoyance of CE-dimming.

I even checked out a couple of 3D Blu-rays (including the previously problematic Avengers disc). Once again, my previous 3D backlight setting of 14 had to be cranked down to 6. Once I did that, the 3D popped off the screen and there was a newfound depth and clarity to the overall picture with virtually no cross-talk (where before, there had been much with this particular disc).

So, what does it all mean? I'm not exactly sure, but for one thing, it means CE-dimming CAN be turned off on ES8000 series TVs. Why Samsung has steadfastly been keeping this a secret is anyone's guess.

Hi, can you explain this a with more detail? I would like to try it.
post #16208 of 16222 Old 07-11-2014, 12:43 PM

Hey guys, I posted this in the ES7500 thread but considering that they both use the same power supplies I though I would give you all a head's up since this thread is so active. I noticed a few pics here that were exactly like my symptoms. Please note that when I initially posted this I was red=faced pissed off. Since the update portion of the post I had settled down.

Well, I would like to officially report that after 2 years and 3 months my $2800 Samsung has ran it's course. It now does the infamous "Turn on and turn off". Really pisses me off that a TV with a SOLID 1 year warranty only lasts 2.5 years. Now I get to deal with a repairman which I'm sure will charge me as much as he possibly can. Samsung is garbage and I won't be buying it in the future. Really makes me wish I bought that $400 best buy warranty. This was the 55es7500 btw.

UPDATE: Apparently Samsung realized that the lead cable from the power supply to the mainboard were inadequate on the first batch of ES7500 (as well as 8000's) and made changes. Basically it fails and fry's one of the pins causing damage to the power supply board (The repair guy physically showed me the burn mark on the lead cable). The serviceman replaced the Power Supply Board and installed the newer version of the lead cable. The lead cable was all black and beefier than the white cable it replaced. TV works great now. If there is anybody in the Santa Barbara County area that needs assistance, try Ross Technology Solutions out of Bakersfield. They ordered the parts and had it installed within 3 days of contact. BTW, my symptoms were exactly like the ones posted earlier in the thread with the pictures of the weird lines.

This is an EASY DIY fix. You can find the lead cable at many online stores, the problem is the power board is out of stock at most places. Had I known exactly what I needed, I would of done this myself and saved $250. It took the guy 20 minutes from removing TV tfrom the wall mount to putting it back on. I am including the part numbers for you DIY type of people.

SYMPTOMS
TV suddenly starts turning itself on and off becoming more frequent until it stops going on period. Upon reboot you get a weird mutli-colored screen. It can be brown with green lines one time and light blue with weird designs to whatever.

PART NUMBERS
BN44-00523A Power Supply
BN39-01475H Lead Cable
gamermwm likes this.

Last edited by G_Sup; 07-13-2014 at 10:11 AM.
post #16209 of 16222 Old 07-13-2014, 11:13 PM

Exclamation

Quote:

More detailed explaination would be nice, i don't understand this all that well.....THX

post #16210 of 16222 Old 07-14-2014, 05:41 AM

I'll try to post some pictures of the process. It's kind of hard to explain. Since my last post, I noticed that the Standard mode no CE-dimming "effect" goes away when I turn off the TV (just like if you are in store demo mode). Basically, what happens is when I turn on the TV, I press the Source button on the remote. One of the available inputs is DirectV RVU. I select it. Since I have never used it, I get a message about entering a pin to activate it. I select "cancel" and then select a different input source (DV1, DV2, etc). You'll see a dramatic increase in the brightness of white when it switches to the new source indicating that the CE-dimming is now off. You will have to tweak some picture settings (the biggest thing for me is I have to back off backlight from 10 to 6 or 7), but other adjustments may also be necessary. The end result is that Micro-dimming Ultimate is still engaged, but CE-dimming is not, so blacks are deep black where they are supposed to be, without the undesired CE-dimming effect of darkening the entire screen (resulting in a loss of detail in the blacks). A quick way to check is to play a sci-fi movie that opens on a star field. The night sky is black, but the stars are clearly visible, not obliterated like they get with CE-dimming activated. Or, check out any end credit sequence with white text over a black background...bright, pure white type, instead of the almost gray-looking text one gets with CE-dimming.

CE-dimming in Standard mode is something that in previous Samsung models could be turned off for good with a quick trip to the service menu. For whatever reason, that functionality does not exist in the service menu for the ES8000 series. If you go back to some of the early posts in this thread, the consensus ended up being that there was no way to disengage CE-dimming on this TV in Standard mode. Granted, it's not turned on in Movie mode, but neither is Micro-dimming Ultimate (per Samsung).
post #16211 of 16222 Old 07-14-2014, 11:05 PM

i don't have a input "DirectV RVU" in my sources........what is this DirectV RVU ?
Also i am guessing ur (DV1, DV2, etc) is under source >> tools >>>> DVD....cable stb.....pvr stb......av receiver......game.....PC.....ETC.
Seems i may not be able to do ur trick

post #16212 of 16222 Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
I'll try to post some pictures of the process. It's kind of hard to explain. Since my last post, I noticed that the Standard mode no CE-dimming "effect" goes away when I turn off the TV (just like if you are in store demo mode). Basically, what happens is when I turn on the TV, I press the Source button on the remote. One of the available inputs is DirectV RVU. I select it. Since I have never used it, I get a message about entering a pin to activate it. I select "cancel" and then select a different input source (DV1, DV2, etc). You'll see a dramatic increase in the brightness of white when it switches to the new source indicating that the CE-dimming is now off. You will have to tweak some picture settings (the biggest thing for me is I have to back off backlight from 10 to 6 or 7), but other adjustments may also be necessary. The end result is that Micro-dimming Ultimate is still engaged, but CE-dimming is not, so blacks are deep black where they are supposed to be, without the undesired CE-dimming effect of darkening the entire screen (resulting in a loss of detail in the blacks). A quick way to check is to play a sci-fi movie that opens on a star field. The night sky is black, but the stars are clearly visible, not obliterated like they get with CE-dimming activated. Or, check out any end credit sequence with white text over a black background...bright, pure white type, instead of the almost gray-looking text one gets with CE-dimming.

CE-dimming in Standard mode is something that in previous Samsung models could be turned off for good with a quick trip to the service menu. For whatever reason, that functionality does not exist in the service menu for the ES8000 series. If you go back to some of the early posts in this thread, the consensus ended up being that there was no way to disengage CE-dimming on this TV in Standard mode. Granted, it's not turned on in Movie mode, but neither is Micro-dimming Ultimate (per Samsung).
I get what you are saying but in 2 years of ownership of my 8000 I do not have an input labeled as you describe.

Please reconfirm your input label as shown from the Sammy menu and clarify if you are using a USA market model or other.

I use standard mode and love my tv more than ever however if I had more control over dimming without adding "flash lights" that would be cool.

My 8000 has been so sweet. I have touched a pic adjustment in a year.

Still on firmware 1046.2 and never launched Smart hub from it or used an EVO kit. I use my Samsung bd-e6500 bluray player for all streaming and heavy lifting. That has been perfect.
post #16213 of 16222 Old 07-15-2014, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Samsung 2012 smart tvs are DirecTV ready

A DIRECTV Ready TV has a technology called RVU built in that lets you enjoy DIRECTV service and full HD DVR functionality without a receiver when it’s used as an additional TV in a Genie HD DVR setup.

https://support.directv.com/app/answ...oes-it-work%3F
post #16214 of 16222 Old 07-15-2014, 05:36 AM

Ouga - as mentioned in my earlier post, the Direct TV RVU is a media server that appears to be controlled automatically by the Direct TV Genie box. It has nothing to do with the Sammy and if you don't have Direct TV, you can't perform this trick. RE: Sources. On the standard buttoned remote that came with the TV (not the RF Blaster remote), at the top in between the Power and Light button, there is a Source button. That is the one to press.

Blade - Yes, my ES8000 is a USA market TV. I do not have an EVO kit and do not use the Smart Hub at all. I rely on my PS3, PS4, and OPPO Blu-ray player for that capability. Not sure which firmware I'm on, but I have not tried to update it in ages. I'll check tonight. As stated above, I discovered this "bug" when I accidentally hit the wrong input while switching sources. I have no idea if this works with a different media server, I can only verify that it does if you have a Direct TV Genie connected. I promise I will post some pictures tonight. BTW, corner flash lights are pretty much nonexistent after performing this "trick". I suspect that has something to do with backing down the backlight. You still get a super bright picture, but without all of the power overhead.
post #16215 of 16222 Old 07-21-2014, 12:19 PM

Liked: 10
I've been having audio sync issues for some time, especially with Netflix running through the smart hub and more occasionally on broadcast TV. I was tooling around in the menu under Sound and noticed a setting I don't remember seeing before: Digital Audio Output. It has two adjustable settings, one of which is audio delay. Mine was set at 90. I moved it to zero and the sync issue with Netflix improved dramatically. Can someone tell me more about what this setting means and how it should be used?

I am running audio through an a/v receiver, Marantz sr5007. It has an audio delay function which is set at 0 ms. In the past I have adjusted this setting dramatically with no discernable effect, so it's possible the function may not be compatible with this Auto Lip Sync function. Thanks.
post #16216 of 16222 Old 08-01-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I too have been gone a long time and am interested in how you did this turn off CE dimming trick. I still use Standard with Garnoch's settings from way back and the TV still looks great to us. I'll give this a try on my TV. I do have the EVO kit from last year running. Haven't updated the firmware on it in quite awhile if ever.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #16217 of 16222 Old 08-03-2014, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Does anyone know which of these are/or are not ARC Ready/Capable/Compatible:

DirecTV DVR Model HR34-700 w/Genie/slave
Onkyo HT-RC 370 Receiver
Samsung TV Model UN75ES9000FXZA

Also I would like to know the best place to post this. I can't seem to locate
a DLP Display section or an Official Samsung 9000 thread.

A good explanation of ARC would be helpful. The more I read the more confusing it gets. Just purchased the new 9000 above. I found a list stating that it has ARC and the HDMI connection on back says ARC but I also found a list and this model manufactured in 2012 does not list it.

Does ARC eliminate the need for an HDMI cable. I read all you need if components are ARC compatible are the power cords, but I also read that the HDMI cables need to be ARC capable. Need help. Thanks!
post #16218 of 16222 Old 08-04-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
I too have been gone a long time and am interested in how you did this turn off CE dimming trick. I still use Standard with Garnoch's settings from way back and the TV still looks great to us. I'll give this a try on my TV. I do have the EVO kit from last year running. Haven't updated the firmware on it in quite awhile if ever.
Hey, Newt! How's it going?

Sorry I can't give you more info than what I previously posted. As it turns out, quite unexpectedly, someone asked to buy my ES8000, so I sold it and bought a PN64F8500...the last of the Samsung plasma line. This will hold me nicely until large size OLED displays become affordable.
post #16219 of 16222 Old 08-10-2014, 01:23 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Hey, Newt! How's it going?

Sorry I can't give you more info than what I previously posted. As it turns out, quite unexpectedly, someone asked to buy my ES8000, so I sold it and bought a PN64F8500...the last of the Samsung plasma line. This will hold me nicely until large size OLED displays become affordable.
Been a while, but I, too am interested in this trick (but I don't have Direct). I'll see if I can find a workaround for the rest of us and post my findings (if any).
post #16220 of 16222 Old 08-18-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post
Does anyone know which of these are/or are not ARC Ready/Capable/Compatible:

DirecTV DVR Model HR34-700 w/Genie/slave
Onkyo HT-RC 370 Receiver
Samsung TV Model UN75ES9000FXZA

Also I would like to know the best place to post this. I can't seem to locate
a DLP Display section or an Official Samsung 9000 thread.

A good explanation of ARC would be helpful. The more I read the more confusing it gets. Just purchased the new 9000 above. I found a list stating that it has ARC and the HDMI connection on back says ARC but I also found a list and this model manufactured in 2012 does not list it.

Does ARC eliminate the need for an HDMI cable. I read all you need if components are ARC compatible are the power cords, but I also read that the HDMI cables need to be ARC capable. Need help. Thanks!

ARC just refers to an HDMI port that can transfer in both directions, usually with an AVR at the other end. You need HDMI connection. So my AVR can transmit from BD player or Apple TV to TV, and TV can transmit streamed movies from Netflix or VuDu apps to the AVR too

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #16221 of 16222 Old 08-20-2014, 10:26 AM

Liked: 10
What is the response time of the UN65es8000?
post #16222 of 16222 Old 08-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Based on this video it looks like 50ms in game mode, and probably 100-150ms not in game mode

This review of the 55" model said 30-40ms and "cross 100ms" in certain picture modes - http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1336393657
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page