Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 541 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16201 of 16208 Old 07-07-2014, 05:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
thx for the flex cable video, good to know that just in case.

LoD80k, i am using firmware 1047 & haven't had any issues with it.
Also i run my tv like 18hrs a day for the last 18 months & it's running great.
I too am scared of updating to the latest firmware but if i get that new 2014 evo kit i'll have to update.

SEK-2000/ZA....Any GOOD ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16202 of 16208 Old 07-07-2014, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OugaBooga View Post
thx for the flex cable video, good to know that just in case.

LoD80k, i am using firmware 1047 & haven't had any issues with it.
Also i run my tv like 18hrs a day for the last 18 months & it's running great.
I too am scared of updating to the latest firmware but if i get that new 2014 evo kit i'll have to update.
I think the software update is in the 1050+. is it possible to only update to 1047 or is it an all or nothing? did 1047 show you any improved picture quality from previous software?
post #16203 of 16208 Old 07-07-2014, 09:18 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspace View Post
OK...Main panel (display) has been replaced. I'm pleased again. I have some photos of the process. Please see below.

Nice detailed pic's, i wish you had more with the panel taken apart &/or with those boards removed to see the ribbons & stuff )

post #16204 of 16208 Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoD80k View Post
I think the software update is in the 1050+. is it possible to only update to 1047 or is it an all or nothing? did 1047 show you any improved picture quality from previous software?
I think the last big improvement pretty much every1 agreed on was 1045 i think, the 1 before 1047.
There was an overall better PQ & it fixed some stuff like flash lighting i had on the top & bottom but my flash lighting was very minimal to begin with.I have no flash lighting now since the initial great 1045 update & uniformity is very good on my set.
Other then 1 time that i had a horizontal green line with a black bar above it which ONLY showed while watching TV for 10 mins there's been no other issues.
I have NEVER used the hand stuff or voice so maybe that's 1 reason things have been good for me.
I also don't have much use for the smart hub either, i find it slow.

post #16205 of 16208 Old 07-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The last update and the version I am currently on is 1051.2

I have since unhooked my internet connection to my Sammy set and all is good. I get a fantastic picture in conjunction with my Darbee Darblet.

For grins, I took a look at the new Samsung and Vizio sets at my local Costco. The Sammy sets still look better. Vizio is suppose to come out with a new P series, 4K and they also have a R-Reference Series, although I do not know how that will be positioned against against the P 4K series - - I'm not sure of the bells and whistles over the 4K/Ultra HD P sets.

BUT...no 3D from Vizio. The new sets have abandoned this format (I still enjoy it!) and believe content will be available in the future via streaming using the new HEVC - H.265 compression protocol.

I'm still very happy with my Sammy set and hope it stays that way in the future! I can't see any upgrades to my system for four to five years.

Best - Rico

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #16206 of 16208 Old 07-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have not posted on this forum in a long time, but quite by accident, last night I stumbled upon a way to turn off the annoying CE-dimming in Standard mode on my UN60ES8000. And, the difference is, well..., night and day!

Like I say, this happened accidentally when I selected the wrong input with the remote's Source button. After a recent DirecTV Genie upgrade, I now have some sort of DTV media server (that I have never used) as a source on my TV. When I noticed I selected the wrong source I cancelled out of the server startup and switched inputs to DVI-2. Then, all of a sudden...BINGO! The CE-dimming in Standard mode was turned off.

When what happened finally sunk in and I realized I was seeing what I was really seeing, I stuck the Disney WOW disc into my OPPO Blu-ray player and headed straight to the expert calibration tools. The results were startling. I immediately had to back down the backlight from its previous setting of 10, to 6. With more time and further tweaks, I'm sure I could go even lower (say 4 or 5). Once I did that, I slightly adjusted the Brightness and Contrast and then checked out the three test images. Wow! I observed a level of black detail I have never before seen on this TV, plus no crushed blacks or blooming whites. Basically, I was getting the full benefit of Standard mode processing (micro-dimming ultimate, etc) without the full screen annoyance of CE-dimming.

I even checked out a couple of 3D Blu-rays (including the previously problematic Avengers disc). Once again, my previous 3D backlight setting of 14 had to be cranked down to 6. Once I did that, the 3D popped off the screen and there was a newfound depth and clarity to the overall picture with virtually no cross-talk (where before, there had been much with this particular disc).

So, what does it all mean? I'm not exactly sure, but for one thing, it means CE-dimming CAN be turned off on ES8000 series TVs. Why Samsung has steadfastly been keeping this a secret is anyone's guess.
post #16207 of 16208 Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchman View Post
I have not posted on this forum in a long time, but quite by accident, last night I stumbled upon a way to turn off the annoying CE-dimming in Standard mode on my UN60ES8000. And, the difference is, well..., night and day!

Like I say, this happened accidentally when I selected the wrong input with the remote's Source button. After a recent DirecTV Genie upgrade, I now have some sort of DTV media server (that I have never used) as a source on my TV. When I noticed I selected the wrong source I cancelled out of the server startup and switched inputs to DVI-2. Then, all of a sudden...BINGO! The CE-dimming in Standard mode was turned off.

When what happened finally sunk in and I realized I was seeing what I was really seeing, I stuck the Disney WOW disc into my OPPO Blu-ray player and headed straight to the expert calibration tools. The results were startling. I immediately had to back down the backlight from its previous setting of 10, to 6. With more time and further tweaks, I'm sure I could go even lower (say 4 or 5). Once I did that, I slightly adjusted the Brightness and Contrast and then checked out the three test images. Wow! I observed a level of black detail I have never before seen on this TV, plus no crushed blacks or blooming whites. Basically, I was getting the full benefit of Standard mode processing (micro-dimming ultimate, etc) without the full screen annoyance of CE-dimming.

I even checked out a couple of 3D Blu-rays (including the previously problematic Avengers disc). Once again, my previous 3D backlight setting of 14 had to be cranked down to 6. Once I did that, the 3D popped off the screen and there was a newfound depth and clarity to the overall picture with virtually no cross-talk (where before, there had been much with this particular disc).

So, what does it all mean? I'm not exactly sure, but for one thing, it means CE-dimming CAN be turned off on ES8000 series TVs. Why Samsung has steadfastly been keeping this a secret is anyone's guess.

Hi, can you explain this a with more detail? I would like to try it.
post #16208 of 16208 Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I posted this in the ES7500 thread but considering that they both use the same power supplies I though I would give you all a head's up since this thread is so active. I noticed a few pics here that were exactly like my symptoms. Please note that when I initially posted this I was red=faced pissed off. Since the update portion of the post I had settled down.

Well, I would like to officially report that after 2 years and 3 months my $2800 Samsung has ran it's course. It now does the infamous "Turn on and turn off". Really pisses me off that a TV with a SOLID 1 year warranty only lasts 2.5 years. Now I get to deal with a repairman which I'm sure will charge me as much as he possibly can. Samsung is garbage and I won't be buying it in the future. Really makes me wish I bought that $400 best buy warranty. This was the 55es7500 btw.

UPDATE: Apparently Samsung realized that the lead cable from the power supply to the mainboard were inadequate on the first batch of ES7500 (as well as 8000's) and made changes. Basically it fails and fry's one of the pins causing damage to the power supply board (The repair guy physically showed me the burn mark on the lead cable). The serviceman replaced the Power Supply Board and installed the newer version of the lead cable. The lead cable was all black and beefier than the white cable it replaced. TV works great now. If there is anybody in the Santa Barbara County area that needs assistance, try Ross Technology Solutions out of Bakersfield. They ordered that parts and had it installed within 3 days of contact. BTW, my symptoms were exactly like the ones posted earlier in the thread with the pictures of the weird lines.

This is an EASY DIY fix. You can find the lead cable at many online stores, the problem is the power board is out of stock at most places. Had I known exactly what I needed, I would of done this myself and saved $250. It took the guy 20 minutes from removing TV tfrom the wall mount to putting it back on. I am including the part numbers for you DIY type of people.

SYMPTOMS
TV suddenly starts turning itself on and off becoming more frequent until it stops going on period. Upon reboot you get a weird mutli-colored screen. It can be brown with green lines one time and light blue with weird designs to whatever.

PART NUMBERS
BN44-00523A Power Supply
BN39-01475H Lead Cable

Last edited by G_Sup; Yesterday at 12:51 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page