Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 543 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #16261 of 16287 Old 10-24-2014, 07:49 AM
Member
 
cbatc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Did anybody wake up this morning to find they were missing a few panels in the smart hub? I've got the first evo kit. I'm missing the panel that has my personal media.
cbatc is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16262 of 16287 Old 10-29-2014, 02:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, my 55ES8000 looks totally bleached out in Movie mode, kinda like if the brightness/backlight was too high, but it isn't. So the black borders look kinda grey in movies, which is distracting.
In standard mode the dark scenes in movies are way too dark and can't see sh*t, but at least the black is black.
I've played around with the settings a lot but can't find a solution.

Does everyone have that sort of bleached look?

I have the SEK-2000 Evolution kit (which isn't worth the money).

I also get juddering/microstutters when playing movies from XBMC (ouya), setting the Motion Plus to off seemed to help a bit.
myst4ry is offline  
post #16263 of 16287 Old 11-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Newbie
 
ErikM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi owner of a 55es8000.. Man I'm glad I bought the extended warranty! Went to turn on the set last night and all I get is vertical bars of different colors.. and the set keeps power cycling! Also the remote won't do anything.. Anyone know what this is? I've called Samsung to get the tech over to fix it, I'm not really happy set is just about a year and a half old.. So glad I bought the warranty..
ErikM is online now  
post #16264 of 16287 Old 11-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
thebignewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikM View Post
Hi owner of a 55es8000.. Man I'm glad I bought the extended warranty! Went to turn on the set last night and all I get is vertical bars of different colors.. and the set keeps power cycling! Also the remote won't do anything.. Anyone know what this is? I've called Samsung to get the tech over to fix it, I'm not really happy set is just about a year and a half old.. So glad I bought the warranty..
yeah it's toast I'm afraid. That's what warranties are for. Square Trade from Costco?

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
thebignewt is offline  
post #16265 of 16287 Old 11-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
thebignewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Does this quote make any sense? From the H7150 forum regarding difference betwee the ES8000 and the next years' F8000 and dimming.

"Samsung has given many names to their dimming schemes and I no longer try to keep track of them other than which televisions have frame/global dimming and which televisions have hardware based/edge-lit pseudo local dimming. This year only the H8000 has a hardware based dimming scheme for 1080p displays.

I didn't state your television didn't have dimming but that it had frame dimming which does not enhance contrast unlike the hardware based dimming scheme on the F8000. Didn't you note that local was in italic typeface? The H710 also has frame dimming and like your television it's only operative in standard mode. The F8000 has a feature called something like Smart LEDs which can be enabled (low, med, high) in the Movie mode. The F8000, unlike your television can independently dim zones of the screen.

If you want to opine that the F8000's dimming scheme doesn't improve PQ from the H710 then fine but what's not subjective is the fundamental differences between frame/global (video based) and edge-lit local (hardware based) dimming schemes."

I always thought that this TV did have contrast enhancement and Microdimming that dims separate regions of the screen. He says no it doesn't. I remember the hype ads for this and I'm sure they hyped the regions dimming and maybe contrasting separately.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
thebignewt is offline  
post #16266 of 16287 Old 11-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Newbie
 
ErikM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
yeah it's toast I'm afraid. That's what warranties are for. Square Trade from Costco?
ErikM is online now  
post #16267 of 16287 Old 11-06-2014, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
gamermwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OK, USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
Does this quote make any sense? From the H7150 forum regarding difference betwee the ES8000 and the next years' F8000 and dimming.

"Samsung has given many names to their dimming schemes and I no longer try to keep track of them other than which televisions have frame/global dimming and which televisions have hardware based/edge-lit pseudo local dimming. This year only the H8000 has a hardware based dimming scheme for 1080p displays.

I didn't state your television didn't have dimming but that it had frame dimming which does not enhance contrast unlike the hardware based dimming scheme on the F8000. Didn't you note that local was in italic typeface? The H710 also has frame dimming and like your television it's only operative in standard mode. The F8000 has a feature called something like Smart LEDs which can be enabled (low, med, high) in the Movie mode. The F8000, unlike your television can independently dim zones of the screen.

If you want to opine that the F8000's dimming scheme doesn't improve PQ from the H710 then fine but what's not subjective is the fundamental differences between frame/global (video based) and edge-lit local (hardware based) dimming schemes."

I always thought that this TV did have contrast enhancement and Microdimming that dims separate regions of the screen. He says no it doesn't. I remember the hype ads for this and I'm sure they hyped the regions dimming and maybe contrasting separately.
I read through that and can see why one would be confused. For me, it's easier to just keep it simple and call it either Software (ie frame) or Hardware dimming

From there you can differentiate and categorize Hardware dimming as either Edge Lit or Fully Array (which is much better than Edge Lit when done properly)

The ES8000 does not have Hardware dimming (neither edge NOR Backlit full array). It uses Software and is a form of "microdimming" known as Micro Dimming Ultimate. They claim it DOES enhance contrast/detail but at the end of the day I have found it's really just a better version of Dynamic Contrast. Samsung throws out a lot of marketing terms like Micro Dimming, and that's where it gets confusing again

Before I owned an ES8000 I had the prior year's flagship the D8000 which you would think based on their backwards terminology had lesser dimming since it was dubbed as only Micro Dimming Plus. But actually it had Hardware (Edge Lit) and the "Micro Dimming" Software Dimming

Long story short, all that matters is how well any of it is implemented and even with the Hardware dimming of the D8000 there were a lot of complaints about bad sets and rampant banding. I had really bad vertical banding like many others, and so I got an exchange for the ES8000

The ES8000 only has software "micro" dimming but more zones are claimed over the prior year's version of micro dimming and they even went as far as to say it directly compared to hardware dimming; which when done properly it doesn't as seen in the F8000 when they did it right and added Edge Lit dimming back to their Flagship LED and it was mostly excellent

I've heard of many Full Array Backlit sets being absolutely trash so you can't always go by the specs because sometimes an Edge Lit or even a tv with software/frame ie no hardware dimming at all will be superior. I know you may know most of this already but just wanted to try and simplify it for anyone else that may popup and not know

I'm done with flagship TV's for awhile. I was really into it for awhile anticipating the newest revelations in technology, but now I plan on just keeping the ES8000 for as long as possible as it's mostly been relegated to casual tv viewing for the wife/kids. When I really want to get down and game or watch a 3D or 2D bluray I'm pulling down the 100" screen and firing up the projector. Size matters and does more to create a cinema like experience than any 55-65" tv ever could no matter the dimming scheme. Maybe the blacks aren't as deep but oh well I've found I really don't care that much, as the tradeoff for banding free DLP 3D and again size is well worth it

But back on point, yeah the marketing terminology is very confusing. I'm pretty disillusioned after seeing through it all. And now that they are pushing curved tv's and everything else is essentially a lesser model with less features I'm happy with just keeping my ES8000. The SEK-2000 seems to not be worth it so I'm glad I just got the original EVO kit. Next time I get a tv the smart features won't figure in since Chromecast/Roku etc. can make any tv a smart tv and 3D is something better suited to a larger screen than my tv

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films

Last edited by gamermwm; 11-06-2014 at 12:54 AM.
gamermwm is offline  
post #16268 of 16287 Old 11-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
thebignewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Thanks, excellent explanation. Hardware vs software, I get that. When all is said and done it's calibration and how lifelike the picture is when it shows what you watch. In that regard I think the ES8000 is great, and everyone who watches it agrees. I'll stick with it for awhile. I agree, Samsung's marketing is confusing. In fact they lead you to believe that adding the Evokit (which I did) makes the ES8000 identical to the F8000 in every way. NOT.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
thebignewt is offline  
post #16269 of 16287 Old 11-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Senior Member
 
T100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.myce.com/news/netflix-rem...Speed=noscript, I found this article on my issue about no 5.1 on Netflix.
T100 is offline  
post #16270 of 16287 Old 11-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Member
 
GypsyDRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have the settings jestered used for the 65inch display (or any 65inch). The signatures for alot of the folks (10k, Garnoch, etc.) seem to be broken so when you click on the settings in their sigs it takes you to this last page of the thread.
GypsyDRB is offline  
post #16271 of 16287 Old 11-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Member
 
canadian55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey, Canadian55 here. I got off AVS, busy with other hobbies and have been away over a year. So apologies for not reading all posts. I have 65" and helped log data for the settings spreadsheet, back in the day.

1. How are people doing with the Evolution Kits? I was going to get one but worried that it heats up because my TV is wall mounted and close to the wall. I don't think I care about how the Smart hub looks so is it worth it, now that the TV is 2-3 years old?

2. I use Cineplex in Canada because movies are cheap to rent on Tuesdays and after I rented one on the TV and planned to watch the next day, the Cineplex app quit working. I'm hearing that Samsung is working on it and a tech chat told me the same, but it's almost a month now???? I had to download the movie and play on a laptop hooked to the TV. I prefer streaming. Anyone else had issues because Google isn't telling me much about this and I'd rather pay $2.50 for movies than $5.99.

Sorry I've missed all the drama for over a year, but I got carried away with other stuff. Still enjoying the 65".
Regards
canadian55 is offline  
post #16272 of 16287 Old 11-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Newbie
 
NewYorkRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

Having an issue tonight with my ES8000. I have one or two black lines appearing on my TV, they seem to flicker on and off but this one in the pic seems to be more constantly on the TV. There is usually no more than two lines in total, they are near each other.

Any thoughts? This happened right after I wiped the LCD down for fingerprints with a microfiber cloth.



NewYorkRanger is offline  
post #16273 of 16287 Old 11-23-2014, 09:24 PM
Newbie
 
norpan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tonight I did a "reset" on my UN55ES8000F in Canada and was prompted for a software upgrade to "001056". My previous version was "001054.4". I don't know what is included in the upgrade and didn't notice any obvious difference. This upgrade is not yet on Samsung's web site. Did anyone else get the upgrade?
norpan is offline  
post #16274 of 16287 Old 11-24-2014, 09:59 AM
10k
Advanced Member
 
10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyDRB View Post
Does anyone have the settings jestered used for the 65inch display (or any 65inch). The signatures for alot of the folks (10k, Garnoch, etc.) seem to be broken so when you click on the settings in their sigs it takes you to this last page of the thread.
I found my post with my settings - Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread

Unfortunately I have a 55" which is a different panel from the 65" so not much help to you, sorry!

I updated the link in my sig as well.
10k is offline  
post #16275 of 16287 Old 11-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Member
 
GypsyDRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks 10k! I also found the spreadsheet that someone put together with a lot of different settings.


Norpan - I just got an update for my Samsung with the sek-1000. Firmware was 1106. I thought Google would be my friend, but no such luck.
GypsyDRB is offline  
post #16276 of 16287 Old 12-07-2014, 06:02 AM
Newbie
 
chribonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am unable to view 3D SBS content encoded at 1080p. When I try to play this content on my TV I get an error telling me that the TV is unable to play this content.

Will Samsung's Evolution Kit SEK-1000/XC sort this limitation?

Thanks.
Alan
chribonn is offline  
post #16277 of 16287 Old 12-08-2014, 07:14 AM
Senior Member
 
poppagene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chribonn View Post
Hi,

I am unable to view 3D SBS content encoded at 1080p. When I try to play this content on my TV I get an error telling me that the TV is unable to play this content.

Will Samsung's Evolution Kit SEK-1000/XC sort this limitation?

Thanks.
Alan
Did you set the 3D mode to side by side?
poppagene is offline  
post #16278 of 16287 Old 12-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Member
 
cbatc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chribonn View Post
Hi,

I am unable to view 3D SBS content encoded at 1080p. When I try to play this content on my TV I get an error telling me that the TV is unable to play this content.

Will Samsung's Evolution Kit SEK-1000/XC sort this limitation?

Thanks.
Alan
Try using PLEX. I picked up a demo 3D disc from this site and the only way I can get it to play is through the PLEX app.
cbatc is online now  
post #16279 of 16287 Old 12-08-2014, 08:14 AM
Newbie
 
chribonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Did you set the 3D mode to side by side?
Yes. The problem seems to be related to the fact that Full-SBS exceeds the resolution handled by the TV. I never get a chance to press the 3D button because the error comes up before the stream commences.

With Half-SBS I do not have this problem.
chribonn is offline  
post #16280 of 16287 Old 12-08-2014, 08:20 AM
Newbie
 
chribonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbatc View Post
Try using PLEX. I picked up a demo 3D disc from this site and the only way I can get it to play is through the PLEX app.
I have Plex installed and use it frequently. I didn't manage to get Full-SBS to work though. How was your demo 3D stream encoded (was it Half-SBS or Full-SBS).

Full-SBS is two 1960x1080 frames side by side while half-SBS is two 960 x 1080 frames. My Samsung ES8000 seems to support a max of 1960.

I would be interested in learning whether there is anyone who found a tools that can transcode such streams on the fly.
chribonn is offline  
post #16281 of 16287 Old 12-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Member
 
cbatc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chribonn View Post
I have Plex installed and use it frequently. I didn't manage to get Full-SBS to work though. How was your demo 3D stream encoded (was it Half-SBS or Full-SBS).

Full-SBS is two 1960x1080 frames side by side while half-SBS is two 960 x 1080 frames. My Samsung ES8000 seems to support a max of 1960.

I would be interested in learning whether there is anyone who found a tools that can transcode such streams on the fly.
Not sure I'll have to check it later. I do have SEK1000 though.
cbatc is online now  
post #16282 of 16287 Old 12-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Senior Member
 
T100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My tv 46Es8000 has developed the TV suddenly starts turning itself on and off becoming more frequent until it stops going on period. Upon reboot you get a weird mutli-colored screen. It can be brown with green lines one time and light blue with weird designs to whatever.
Can someone direct me to where and what parts are needed to repair this.
T100 is offline  
post #16283 of 16287 Old 12-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
thebignewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by T100 View Post
My tv 46Es8000 has developed the TV suddenly starts turning itself on and off becoming more frequent until it stops going on period. Upon reboot you get a weird mutli-colored screen. It can be brown with green lines one time and light blue with weird designs to whatever.
Can someone direct me to where and what parts are needed to repair this.
I think this could be the main circuit board.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
thebignewt is offline  
post #16284 of 16287 Old 12-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
This has probably been asked on here before but does anyone have the best calibration settings for my UN60ES8000? Been searching for a while but can't seem to find any. Thanks! (I have the sek-1000 evo kit attached btw)
ohyeahthatguy is offline  
post #16285 of 16287 Unread Yesterday, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bladerunner1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh...Preferably the Virgin Islands....
Posts: 1,071
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
30 months in with my un60es8000 and very happy.


I never went EVO, didn't even consider doing it. I stayed on fw 1046.2, very happy I did. I never ever ever used the Smart hub from the tv, always kept it disconnected as I didn't want intruders. I do all streaming and Smart hub functions from my Samsung bluray player.


I'm lucky I haven't had to exercise the extended warranty.


I really like 3d when I have a chance to settle in, I wish I had more time to do 3d viewing.


Very much liking movie mode as it provides a more contrast rich image with slightly better color than standard mode. Trade off is the occasional flashlight but...I hardly notice that anymore. My standard mode is dialed in quite well for when I need to go there.


I'll be happy if this tv gets me to mid year 2016 which is when I want to upgrade to a 65-70 OLED hopefully. I figure all issues will be ironed out by then and pricing will be palatable. LG, Sony or Samsung.


I've never remorse the money I spent on this tv.

Thank you all for your input on this massive thread.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.


Last edited by Bladerunner1959; Yesterday at 03:40 PM.
Bladerunner1959 is offline  
post #16286 of 16287 Unread Today, 09:26 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
samsung UN55ES8000 FIRMWARE 1028

What is the best i this firmware
librastereo is online now  
post #16287 of 16287 Unread Today, 09:30 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
You should change the antenna wifi
librastereo is online now  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off