Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 543 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16261 of 16272 Old 10-24-2014, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Did anybody wake up this morning to find they were missing a few panels in the smart hub? I've got the first evo kit. I'm missing the panel that has my personal media.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16262 of 16272 Old 10-29-2014, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Hi guys, my 55ES8000 looks totally bleached out in Movie mode, kinda like if the brightness/backlight was too high, but it isn't. So the black borders look kinda grey in movies, which is distracting.
In standard mode the dark scenes in movies are way too dark and can't see sh*t, but at least the black is black.
I've played around with the settings a lot but can't find a solution.

Does everyone have that sort of bleached look?

I have the SEK-2000 Evolution kit (which isn't worth the money).

I also get juddering/microstutters when playing movies from XBMC (ouya), setting the Motion Plus to off seemed to help a bit.
post #16263 of 16272 Old 11-01-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi owner of a 55es8000.. Man I'm glad I bought the extended warranty! Went to turn on the set last night and all I get is vertical bars of different colors.. and the set keeps power cycling! Also the remote won't do anything.. Anyone know what this is? I've called Samsung to get the tech over to fix it, I'm not really happy set is just about a year and a half old.. So glad I bought the warranty..
post #16264 of 16272 Old 11-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikM View Post
Hi owner of a 55es8000.. Man I'm glad I bought the extended warranty! Went to turn on the set last night and all I get is vertical bars of different colors.. and the set keeps power cycling! Also the remote won't do anything.. Anyone know what this is? I've called Samsung to get the tech over to fix it, I'm not really happy set is just about a year and a half old.. So glad I bought the warranty..
yeah it's toast I'm afraid. That's what warranties are for. Square Trade from Costco?

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #16265 of 16272 Old 11-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Does this quote make any sense? From the H7150 forum regarding difference betwee the ES8000 and the next years' F8000 and dimming.

"Samsung has given many names to their dimming schemes and I no longer try to keep track of them other than which televisions have frame/global dimming and which televisions have hardware based/edge-lit pseudo local dimming. This year only the H8000 has a hardware based dimming scheme for 1080p displays.

I didn't state your television didn't have dimming but that it had frame dimming which does not enhance contrast unlike the hardware based dimming scheme on the F8000. Didn't you note that local was in italic typeface? The H710 also has frame dimming and like your television it's only operative in standard mode. The F8000 has a feature called something like Smart LEDs which can be enabled (low, med, high) in the Movie mode. The F8000, unlike your television can independently dim zones of the screen.

If you want to opine that the F8000's dimming scheme doesn't improve PQ from the H710 then fine but what's not subjective is the fundamental differences between frame/global (video based) and edge-lit local (hardware based) dimming schemes."

I always thought that this TV did have contrast enhancement and Microdimming that dims separate regions of the screen. He says no it doesn't. I remember the hype ads for this and I'm sure they hyped the regions dimming and maybe contrasting separately.

Samsung ES8000 65", Evo Kit installed, Yamaha AVR with Paradigm speakers, iMac, iPad, Apple TV and HTC One phone.
post #16266 of 16272 Old 11-04-2014, 02:26 PM

Samsung warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
yeah it's toast I'm afraid. That's what warranties are for. Square Trade from Costco?
post #16267 of 16272 Old 11-06-2014, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebignewt View Post
Does this quote make any sense? From the H7150 forum regarding difference betwee the ES8000 and the next years' F8000 and dimming.

"Samsung has given many names to their dimming schemes and I no longer try to keep track of them other than which televisions have frame/global dimming and which televisions have hardware based/edge-lit pseudo local dimming. This year only the H8000 has a hardware based dimming scheme for 1080p displays.

I didn't state your television didn't have dimming but that it had frame dimming which does not enhance contrast unlike the hardware based dimming scheme on the F8000. Didn't you note that local was in italic typeface? The H710 also has frame dimming and like your television it's only operative in standard mode. The F8000 has a feature called something like Smart LEDs which can be enabled (low, med, high) in the Movie mode. The F8000, unlike your television can independently dim zones of the screen.

If you want to opine that the F8000's dimming scheme doesn't improve PQ from the H710 then fine but what's not subjective is the fundamental differences between frame/global (video based) and edge-lit local (hardware based) dimming schemes."

I always thought that this TV did have contrast enhancement and Microdimming that dims separate regions of the screen. He says no it doesn't. I remember the hype ads for this and I'm sure they hyped the regions dimming and maybe contrasting separately.
I read through that and can see why one would be confused. For me, it's easier to just keep it simple and call it either Software (ie frame) or Hardware dimming

From there you can differentiate and categorize Hardware dimming as either Edge Lit or Fully Array (which is much better than Edge Lit when done properly)

The ES8000 does not have Hardware dimming (neither edge NOR Backlit full array). It uses Software and is a form of "microdimming" known as Micro Dimming Ultimate. They claim it DOES enhance contrast/detail but at the end of the day I have found it's really just a better version of Dynamic Contrast. Samsung throws out a lot of marketing terms like Micro Dimming, and that's where it gets confusing again

Before I owned an ES8000 I had the prior year's flagship the D8000 which you would think based on their backwards terminology had lesser dimming since it was dubbed as only Micro Dimming Plus. But actually it had Hardware (Edge Lit) and the "Micro Dimming" Software Dimming

Long story short, all that matters is how well any of it is implemented and even with the Hardware dimming of the D8000 there were a lot of complaints about bad sets and rampant banding. I had really bad vertical banding like many others, and so I got an exchange for the ES8000

The ES8000 only has software "micro" dimming but more zones are claimed over the prior year's version of micro dimming and they even went as far as to say it directly compared to hardware dimming; which when done properly it doesn't as seen in the F8000 when they did it right and added Edge Lit dimming back to their Flagship LED and it was mostly excellent

I've heard of many Full Array Backlit sets being absolutely trash so you can't always go by the specs because sometimes an Edge Lit or even a tv with software/frame ie no hardware dimming at all will be superior. I know you may know most of this already but just wanted to try and simplify it for anyone else that may popup and not know

I'm done with flagship TV's for awhile. I was really into it for awhile anticipating the newest revelations in technology, but now I plan on just keeping the ES8000 for as long as possible as it's mostly been relegated to casual tv viewing for the wife/kids. When I really want to get down and game or watch a 3D or 2D bluray I'm pulling down the 100" screen and firing up the projector. Size matters and does more to create a cinema like experience than any 55-65" tv ever could no matter the dimming scheme. Maybe the blacks aren't as deep but oh well I've found I really don't care that much, as the tradeoff for banding free DLP 3D and again size is well worth it

But back on point, yeah the marketing terminology is very confusing. I'm pretty disillusioned after seeing through it all. And now that they are pushing curved tv's and everything else is essentially a lesser model with less features I'm happy with just keeping my ES8000. The SEK-2000 seems to not be worth it so I'm glad I just got the original EVO kit. Next time I get a tv the smart features won't figure in since Chromecast/Roku etc. can make any tv a smart tv and 3D is something better suited to a larger screen than my tv

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films

Last edited by gamermwm; 11-06-2014 at 12:54 AM.
post #16268 of 16272 Old 11-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, excellent explanation. Hardware vs software, I get that. When all is said and done it's calibration and how lifelike the picture is when it shows what you watch. In that regard I think the ES8000 is great, and everyone who watches it agrees. I'll stick with it for awhile. I agree, Samsung's marketing is confusing. In fact they lead you to believe that adding the Evokit (which I did) makes the ES8000 identical to the F8000 in every way. NOT.

post #16269 of 16272 Old 11-08-2014, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
http://www.myce.com/news/netflix-rem...Speed=noscript, I found this article on my issue about no 5.1 on Netflix.
post #16270 of 16272 Old 11-10-2014, 01:54 PM

Does anyone have the settings jestered used for the 65inch display (or any 65inch). The signatures for alot of the folks (10k, Garnoch, etc.) seem to be broken so when you click on the settings in their sigs it takes you to this last page of the thread.
post #16271 of 16272 Old 11-16-2014, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey, Canadian55 here. I got off AVS, busy with other hobbies and have been away over a year. So apologies for not reading all posts. I have 65" and helped log data for the settings spreadsheet, back in the day.

1. How are people doing with the Evolution Kits? I was going to get one but worried that it heats up because my TV is wall mounted and close to the wall. I don't think I care about how the Smart hub looks so is it worth it, now that the TV is 2-3 years old?

2. I use Cineplex in Canada because movies are cheap to rent on Tuesdays and after I rented one on the TV and planned to watch the next day, the Cineplex app quit working. I'm hearing that Samsung is working on it and a tech chat told me the same, but it's almost a month now???? I had to download the movie and play on a laptop hooked to the TV. I prefer streaming. Anyone else had issues because Google isn't telling me much about this and I'd rather pay $2.50 for movies than $5.99.

Sorry I've missed all the drama for over a year, but I got carried away with other stuff. Still enjoying the 65".
Regards
post #16272 of 16272 Old Today, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all,

Having an issue tonight with my ES8000. I have one or two black lines appearing on my TV, they seem to flicker on and off but this one in the pic seems to be more constantly on the TV. There is usually no more than two lines in total, they are near each other.

Any thoughts? This happened right after I wiped the LCD down for fingerprints with a microfiber cloth.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page