Official Samsung UNxxES8000 Owner's Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 16215 Old 03-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
gamermwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OK, USA
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I would also really like to hear from a ES8000 owner (preferably one who was a former D8000 owner) if the 2D-3D conversion is improved, or if the dual core makes the web browser responsive/fast enough to actually want to use every day

gamermwm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 16215 Old 03-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Member
 
flyguychad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Traded in the d8000 get the new one in a week. I will answer some of these questions next week
flyguychad is offline  
post #243 of 16215 Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
tonyjd40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: summit hill, pa
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hey guys. As most of you know I got my Samsung PN60E8000 (PLASMA) I had a d8000 (plasma) and I can say that the web browser is much much improved this year. It is amazingly fast. I can tell you that the slow d8000 performance is all gone in the new e series, and i don't believe plasma or led matter in this regard. The dual gore chip is a great improvement , and realize that IF next year they go to a quad core chip - the update nodule while allow you to also !! Anyway, the new web browser is much faster - I have a dell 15r laptop and the tv is just as fast as it is. Actaully, it is a tad faster cause I need to type in searches and my wife just spoke the same words I typed. The new smart hub is awesome also, gotta love hbo go. I can not see anyone geting this tv and being disappointed in any way. Oh, the 2d - 3d conversion is again much improved. I never really had a problem with my d8000 but there was some ghosting in very fast scenes or if there was alot of little things going on - like Imax under the sea- (great 3d movie, best 3d shot ever, when the eel is slowly swimming at you it looks as if it really is outside the tv coming at you ) anyway all the little fish swimming around (100's of them) seemed to cause ghosting, but not on the pn60e8000. ( I know you guys are talking led , but I dont think there will be much difference in these regards. ENJOY !




god bless

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
tonyjd40 is offline  
post #244 of 16215 Old 03-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
leftyguitar1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguychad View Post

Traded in the d8000 get the new one in a week. I will answer some of these questions next week

interesting.....u gave up software/hardware dimming for software only dimming(es8000)?
leftyguitar1963 is offline  
post #245 of 16215 Old 03-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Newbie
 
bigbadbob2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

D8000 has the same issues.

I'm surprised u didnt get the upcoming panny 55-WT50 ips panel, which won't have these glaring issues + better black level performance. Well it should be out within your return window, or at least it's 47-inch sibling will be......

I know you must have some animosity towards panasonic for your dead g25, but samsung qc is not that gr8 either.

I'm pretty certain I will be returning this TV. I hope to find a better option and Panasonic is not out of the question. So, we'll have to see what their new options are like.
bigbadbob2k2 is offline  
post #246 of 16215 Old 03-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
leftyguitar1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
u know it's ironic, that when u first load Samsung's main website page, u get a blue screen that features clouding, just like their led tvs.

leftyguitar1963 is offline  
post #247 of 16215 Old 03-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Member
 
rogerft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Poole UK
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

interesting.....u gave up software/hardware dimming for software only dimming(es8000)?

The trouble with H/W dimming that is edge lit is that it works against the S/W dimming where you have bright and dark areas across the screen. H/W dimming was a marketing exercise to compete with full array sets. It was never implemented in Europe. Samsung have moved from Full Array to no H/W dimming because they could not push any more improvements from the LCD pannels. The reason that the ES picture is improved is the S/W dimming has been improved over the D series and now besides brightness it also adjusts colour and detail. Samsung will now be able to push picture quality every year by increasing the zones and parameters adjusted. This can also be applied to the evolution kit so real improvements can be added to last years sets. Now you know why Sony have not updated their full array sets the array becomes the limiting feature - its all going to be about processing power driving both picture quality and user features.
rogerft is offline  
post #248 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Member
 
Chris4205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguychad View Post

Traded in the d8000 get the new one in a week. I will answer some of these questions next week

Where can you trade in a TV? Thanks
Chris4205 is offline  
post #249 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 06:51 AM
Senior Member
 
bekindrewind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerft View Post

Now you know why Sony have not updated their full array sets the array becomes the limiting feature - its all going to be about processing power driving both picture quality and user features.

Not sure that's Sony's reason for not updating the 929. The Elite is suppose to have more dimming zones then anyone else. Engineers can figure out how to make more zones (hard ware or soft ware) as time goes on, if they choose to keep that format.

I agree with you about processing power, being every tv, plasma & LCD/LED has processors running the show.
Cheers.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
bekindrewind is offline  
post #250 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Newbie
 
girl1032's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also bought d8000 last year but I have so big issues with it that I just need to return and get a new one - and I was thinking about ES8000.
1. d8000 have big issue with lighting on sides of edges - HALO effect as some call - the worst thing was when you watch movie that has a black background you were able to see all bulbs from edges - and even on top (strange)
2.d8000 didn't have Adobe flash player to watch movies online (I saw some reviews that it does)?
3. When I was watching movies from internet (ex. you tube) after 30 minutes tv shut down by itself and you needed to wait 10/15 until it back up.
I tried to contact samsung to get some anwers to my questions but they only say "everything is on website" but website provide so general info.

I hope ES8000 would work better b/s I really want good tv. I like how the picture is clear but is it worthy to have all other issues with it for that big $?
girl1032 is offline  
post #251 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Member
 
jeffs2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks bekindrewind. Nice write-up. When you saw the drop off moving laterally a couple of feet how far back were you standing/sitting? That's really disappointing if the off-angle viewing is worse than the Elite (which I thought was only marginally acceptable)
jeffs2 is offline  
post #252 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gagit811's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerft View Post

The trouble with H/W dimming that is edge lit is that it works against the S/W dimming where you have bright and dark areas across the screen. H/W dimming was a marketing exercise to compete with full array sets. It was never implemented in Europe. Samsung have moved from Full Array to no H/W dimming because they could not push any more improvements from the LCD pannels. The reason that the ES picture is improved is the S/W dimming has been improved over the D series and now besides brightness it also adjusts colour and detail. Samsung will now be able to push picture quality every year by increasing the zones and parameters adjusted. This can also be applied to the evolution kit so real improvements can be added to last years sets. Now you know why Sony have not updated their full array sets the array becomes the limiting feature - its all going to be about processing power driving both picture quality and user features.

LCD TV black level is limited to how much the LCD crystals can block light from the backlight. Lcds need light to work and can not totally block all the light on its own, even with all the LCD crystals blacked out light always bleeds through. Without actually dimming the backlight the TV can't achieve true blackness, the es8000 may as well be a ccfl TV for black levels. Software is only going to go so far, and truthfully LCD technology is about as good as its going to get today.
gagit811 is offline  
post #253 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Member
 
electroFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey. First I apologize for grammatical errors. I do not speak English very well. I've done a survey to the owners of this TV can help people. You can copy and paste and delete inappropriate responses. It is not necessary to answer all questions.Thank you very much in advance. I would appreciate grammatical correction of the survey.


The black levels are: very good / good / Normal / bad / Very bad
The colours are: extremely natural / natural / normal / artificial / extremely artificial
Presets image are: very good / good / normal / bad / very bad
I prefer image preset:
My configuration is: Brightness: Contrast: Colour: Backlight:
Angle Vision: the quality images starts to be poor from: X degrees
Clear Motion Rate works: very good / good / normal / bad / very bad
Rapid scenes have artefacts:
I have problems uniformity:
I have problems flashlighting:
I have problems clouding:
Quality image ATSC SD is: very good / good / normal / bad / very bad
Quality image HD is: very good / good / normal / bad / very bad
Upscaller is: very good / good / normal / bad / very bad
Global Quality image is: very good / good / normal / bad /very bad / expected better / saticfactory / unsaticfactory (in numbers 0 – 10)
Bass sounds are: nonexistent / poor / normal / good / very good / saticfactory / unsaticfactory
Treble sounds are: rich / poor
Sound equalizer improve experience: very little / little / quite / a lot
Boot time: X seconds
Agility menus are: very good / good / normal / bad / very bad / sometimes have problems
I have reset tv: never / once every 2-3 days / once a week / more twice week / frequently / ….
Interface menus are: Very easy / easy / normal / difficult / very difficult
Voice control works: very good / good / normal / bad / very bad
Gesture control works: very good / good / normal / bad / very bad
Face recognition works: very good / good / normal / bad / very bad
Web browser works: very good / good / normal / bad / very bad
Speed web browser is: very good / good / normal / bad / very bad
Flash player works: very good / good / normal / bad / very bad
I like apps:
Quality Image 3D is: very good / good / normal / bad / very bad
Conversion 2D to 3D is: very good / good / normal / bad / very bad
I have problems crosstalk:
Input lag is: very good / good / normal / bad / very bad
I can play games:
What I liked about this TV is:
What I don´t liked about this TV is:
This TV should improve:
Impressions other:
electroFan is offline  
post #254 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Member
 
yassy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
looks like members on amazon give this a bad rating so far. 3:1 give it 1 star...wait till later in year to work out bugs before getting one...

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55ES...owViewpoints=1
yassy is offline  
post #255 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Member
 
flyguychad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris4205 View Post


Where can you trade in a TV? Thanks

Sorry for the confusion, returned via amazon and upgraded to the es8000 I should have it Friday. The hardware micro dimming vs software dimming didn't sway my decision. The new promise of faster speeds via browsing and the price drop to 2899 for the 55 inch did it.
flyguychad is offline  
post #256 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
gamermwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OK, USA
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 View Post

hey guys. As most of you know I got my Samsung PN60E8000 (PLASMA) I had a d8000 (plasma) and I can say that the web browser is much much improved this year. It is amazingly fast. I can tell you that the slow d8000 performance is all gone in the new e series, and i don't believe plasma or led matter in this regard. The dual gore chip is a great improvement , and realize that IF next year they go to a quad core chip - the update nodule while allow you to also !! Anyway, the new web browser is much faster - I have a dell 15r laptop and the tv is just as fast as it is. Actaully, it is a tad faster cause I need to type in searches and my wife just spoke the same words I typed. The new smart hub is awesome also, gotta love hbo go. I can not see anyone geting this tv and being disappointed in any way. Oh, the 2d - 3d conversion is again much improved. I never really had a problem with my d8000 but there was some ghosting in very fast scenes or if there was alot of little things going on - like Imax under the sea- (great 3d movie, best 3d shot ever, when the eel is slowly swimming at you it looks as if it really is outside the tv coming at you ) anyway all the little fish swimming around (100's of them) seemed to cause ghosting, but not on the pn60e8000. ( I know you guys are talking led , but I dont think there will be much difference in these regards. ENJOY !




god bless

Awesome! Thanks Tony. I'm definitely looking forward to trying one out!

gamermwm is offline  
post #257 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Senior Member
 
joseph10704's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Can someone tell me how to i upload pictures to this fourm i have some ES8000 pictures i would like to show everyone.
joseph10704 is offline  
post #258 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Senior Member
 
tonyjd40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: summit hill, pa
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
when you are repling to message / or postING GO TO ADVANCES OPTIONS, FOLLOW BELOW.



god bless

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
tonyjd40 is offline  
post #259 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
tonyjd40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: summit hill, pa
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
wait sprry that sfor links. OK GO TO ADVANCED OPTIONS AND THE LITTLE PAPER CLIP IS WHAT ALLOWS YOU TO DO IT.

 

MY TICKET.pdf 29.5732421875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MY TICKET.pdf (29.6 KB, 6 views)

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
tonyjd40 is offline  
post #260 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Senior Member
 
joseph10704's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Attachment 240972

Got this picture from my iphone 4 ,I was at my local PC Richerd's and son and i seen this ES8000 in 55 inch the picture is just out of this world mind u tho there were playing demo's so it was not a good demo but it looked fantastic here u can see mountain's and boy did the picture pop out it felt like u were looking out of your window lol. sorry for the way the picture is tho its side way's if anyone know how to get it to look the right way let me know on this fourm lol thank u .
LL
joseph10704 is offline  
post #261 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
joseph10704's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroFan View Post

1. Upload photos to imageshack o similar (register), then in imageshack get code or url for share in the forums.
2. In AVSforum push "Insert image" and put url you get in imageshack

Could you make a complete review with poll i put in past post or similar.

Thanks in advance.

i wish i could make a review ,review but i dont own the tv at the moment i was just looking around and i seen they had the ES8000 in so i took some pictures i also got the ES7500 pictures if u or anyone else would like to see them .
joseph10704 is offline  
post #262 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
tonyjd40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: summit hill, pa
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Use the rotate arrows on the top of the message box.

God bless

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
tonyjd40 is offline  
post #263 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Member
 
rogerft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Poole UK
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Not sure that's Sony's reason for not updating the 929. The Elite is suppose to have more dimming zones then anyone else. Engineers can figure out how to make more zones (hard ware or soft ware) as time goes on, if they choose to keep that format.

Yes - but more H/W zones cost more money whereas more S/W zones cost nothing other than processing power. H/W zones only adjust light output but S/W zones can adjust anything in the video signal. Samsung can give loyal customers picture improvements with S/W zone updates via its evolution kit.
Full array manufacturers must now be aware why Samsung dropped this technology!
rogerft is offline  
post #264 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Member
 
rogerft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Poole UK
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

LCD TV black level is limited to how much the LCD crystals can block light from the backlight. Lcds need light to work and can not totally block all the light on its own, even with all the LCD crystals blacked out light always bleeds through. Without actually dimming the backlight the TV can't achieve true blackness, the es8000 may as well be a ccfl TV for black levels. Software is only going to go so far, and truthfully LCD technology is about as good as its going to get today.

Picture quality is not just about black levels and this is where Samsung are focussing their attentio. As you say the LCD technology is reaching its limits aside from resolution and improvements are limited especially if R&D is concentrating on OLED and Quantum Dot.
rogerft is offline  
post #265 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gagit811's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerft View Post

Picture quality is not just about black levels and this is where Samsung are focussing their attentio. As you say the LCD technology is reaching its limits aside from resolution and improvements are limited especially if R&D is concentrating on OLED and Quantum Dot.

True for black levels not being the only factor for pq. samsungs micro dimming is really a advanced dynamic contrast software, it may be improved but its still a dynamic contrast software. 90% of professional calibrators will turn dynamic contrast off when calibrating a TV. Why would they do this, because dynamic contrast crushes blacks and shadow details. I'm sure micro dimming is much better then the standard dynamic contrast in other TVs. I'm a little disappointed they got rid of hardware dimming, I really don't believe this TV will have the black levels achieved by the d8000 although it may beat the TV in other pq areas. The es8000 seems like two steps forward and a half step back to me.

I also want to add oled is so amazing because of its infinity black levels and contrast. Its just a fact TVs that produce deeper black levels tend to rate higher in reviews and users eyes. I don't have a es8000 but I do have a c8000 and d8000 from Samsung, I was looking forward to the es8000 but not so much anymore.
gagit811 is offline  
post #266 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Sequoia, CA
Posts: 30,062
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerft View Post

The trouble with H/W dimming that is edge lit is that it works against the S/W dimming where you have bright and dark areas across the screen.

The trouble is, you can only dim horizontal rectangles that are half the width of the screen. This rarely corresponds to useful dimming zones based on picture content.

Quote:


H/W dimming was a marketing exercise to compete with full array sets.

So perfectly and brilliantly put.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
rogo is offline  
post #267 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
gamermwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OK, USA
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguychad View Post

Sorry for the confusion, returned via amazon and upgraded to the es8000 I should have it Friday. The hardware micro dimming vs software dimming didn't sway my decision. The new promise of faster speeds via browsing and the price drop to 2899 for the 55 inch did it.

I would probably have chosen one of the latest revision panel D8000's w/hardware dimming over the new ES8000 but I hate to say I'm also a sucker for a faster processor speed and better features. I just the hate the new non-swivel stand. So this tv doesn't move at all on the stand or what?

Anxiously awaiting the first decent customer video review of this set on Amazon...

gamermwm is offline  
post #268 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
 
tonyjd40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: summit hill, pa
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

True for black levels not being the only factor for pq. samsungs micro dimming is really a advanced dynamic contrast software, it may be improved but its still a dynamic contrast software. 90% of professional calibrators will turn dynamic contrast off when calibrating a TV. Why would they do this, because dynamic contrast crushes blacks and shadow details. I'm sure micro dimming is much better then the standard dynamic contrast in other TVs. I'm a little disappointed they got rid of hardware dimming, I really don't believe this TV will have the black levels achieved by the d8000 although it may beat the TV in other pq areas. The es8000 seems like two steps forward and a half step back to me.

I also want to add oled is so amazing because of its infinity black levels and contrast. Its just a fact TVs that produce deeper black levels tend to rate higher in reviews and users eyes. I don't have a es8000 but I do have a c8000 and d8000 from Samsung, I was looking forward to the es8000 but not so much anymore.



The e series has a better black level than the d8000. I have read that the d8000 was measured at 0.009 fl and the es series was 0.006 fl so that is 30% better, and that was uncalibrated so would actually expect a little better when calibrated.


god bless

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
tonyjd40 is offline  
post #269 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gagit811's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 View Post

The e series has a better black level than the d8000. I have read that the d8000 was measured at 0.009 fl and the es series was 0.006 fl so that is 30% better, and that was uncalibrated so would actually expect a little better when calibrated.


god bless

Until I see a few reviews of trusted reviewers I won't put to much in that statement. The d8000 could turn off the leds for total back at on point and have picture on anther. Your saying the es8000 can achieve deeper black levels without turning any leds off? I'm sure someone here sees my point of view. I don't mean to be down on the es8000, I was looking into getting one it just seems Samsung is focus more on design and features then pq this year.
gagit811 is offline  
post #270 of 16215 Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
bekindrewind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs2 View Post

Thanks bekindrewind. Nice write-up. When you saw the drop off moving laterally a couple of feet how far back were you standing/sitting? That's really disappointing if the off-angle viewing is worse than the Elite (which I thought was only marginally acceptable)

Hi Jeffs2,

I was standing/squatting about 10' from the set. Squattting so that I was looking dead on into the center of the screen. Straight on the picture was great. I moved 24" left or right and the blacks and color dropped off so much, my chin dropped.

I spent 2 hrs with this tv and some of the salesmen were chatting it up with me as I kept tweaking the set. They also commented how much the picture faded when they moved right or left of dead center.

Maybe just maybe this problem is with this set only. Though I find that hard to swallow. The Elite and the Sony had much better viewing angles.

I want all the people that read my review and this post, to know that I really wanted to like this tv.

That being said, for me it's all about picture quality. I wasn't looking to buy this tv because of the voice commands, hand jestures, being able to multitask other things while watching something. I guess that's the future, but I think there's going to be a lot of frustration with the voice and hand jestures in the ES8000 line, till they figure out down the road how to get it to work seamlessly. The video's show people had to repeat voice and hand jestures a lot. (Keep your eye out for the Apple TV. They will get it right, right out of the box)

I just want to sit down, put in a blu-ray or tv show/movie and watch it. Simple really.

I'm just looking for the best 2D picture I can get. Currently it's between the Sony 929 or 2012 Elite version 2 ...if that come to market.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
bekindrewind is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Displays , Samsung Un46es8000 Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off