AVS Forum banner
1M views 16K replies 720 participants last post by  Canuck_TO 
#1 ·

Just bought the ES8000 from best buy. I called my local best buy to see if they had any, she said they have one each at 2 stores locally. I thought, oh ok they are probably show units but ill try anyway. I walked in at the perfect time. They got one in and just opened the box when I asked the guy if I could have it. All he did was cut the tape on the top of the box, the stand wasnt even removed yet (its on the top). He ended up selling it to me. Got some pics if anyone is interested.

Anyway. Im now selling my UN46B8500. Works graet, I have all original packaging and boxes. Im not sure what to sell it for yet. Even though the set is a couple years old, it has maybe a year (or less) worth of use because Ive been out of the country several times since i bought it.

#2,421 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/2400#post_22281921

Yeah I doubt we ever get control of CE Dimming. It seems like a shot in the dark to try, but worth it. If anything I'd say we have less controls/options compared to last year's flagship the D8000. At least with that set I had another option, one that had a direct correlation to the Micro Dimming known as "Smart LED"

As far as viewing angles and contrast go, Nitra I have been using your standard settings for awhile. Very nice. I was using Movie mode with CNET's settings until I switched over to your movie mode settings a little while before the MDUltimate problem popped up for that mode

Now it seems that the majority of calibrations have had Contrast pegged near 100 except for Nitra's. His is set at 80. So the other day, I got my Disney WOW disc in, and I can't really say either setting is "wrong" per se. I maxed it out on my set at 98 at the highest, while 80 still looked very good albeit without quite as much pop/crispness. However on a full magenta screen colors washed out super fast with contrast near 100. Only once the contrast was lowered into the 80's did viewing angles begin to look truly decent again. I've had my Contrast set around 87-90 since I first got the set and I think I'll stick with that as a compromise

Back to CE Dimming, it doesn't really bother me with this set. But at least we do have a sort of control over the backlight dimming by upping the brightness a bit to 47

Nitras settings look good, however they are not backed up by any data like other reviewers calibrations. I had my contrast set to 99 and read other reviewed that had it to 100. I like to see the raw data of calibrations. I personally liked cnet movie mode calibrations a bit better. Cnet ones are backed up by data and graphs. Cnet standard calibrations are backed up by data as well which tells me micro dimming and ce dimming is doing bad things. I just am a little Leary about Nitra's Standard settings because there is no data, and after seeing CNET's with DATA something is not right either with Nitra's or CNets. I kept thinking about it and I find it hard to believe David from CNET would sabotage those settings. They are backed up by raw data and when you plug them in they look bad. So, whatever Standard is doing its a bad mode to calibrate in. The ES8000 is so messed up right now at its current state, I am so happy I made the switch to the much talked about VT50. Yes, the set looks gorgeous with its thin border-less frame, but the picture cant hold up to it's looks. Micro Dimming is nothing but marketing stuff Samsung is using to throw off customers.

Good luck with Samsung fixing movie mode if it has anything to do with Micro Dimming because its obvious Micro Dimming affects ISF pro calibrations. This would lead me to the fact that They left it off in movie mode for accurate Calibration's. They messed up, they should have went full array LED with this set instead of brain washing users with Micro Dimming marketing stuff.

#2,422 ·
Good luck to you Gas, and I actually did notice that something was up when calibrating in Standard mode, it wasn't giving me proper settings when making adjustments, until I pressed reset on the white balance section.

I figured seeing as David was the "professional" he would have reset things himself.

It's clear from his posts that David had no real interest in looking further into the issue.

#2,423 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/2400#post_22282389

Good luck to you Gas, and I actually did notice that something was up when calibrating in Standard mode, it wasn't giving me proper settings when making adjustments, until I pressed reset on the white balance section.

I figured seeing as David was the "professional" he would have reset things himself.

It's clear from his posts that David had no real interest in looking further into the issue.

The white balance is set to reset by default when you change modes. They all read 25. So how does that effect what David did. For all we know he just switched to standard making the white balance factory default (all 25). You have no data to show, so you have no real room to say that David the professional did not look at it further. Professionals post their data.

your standard mode calibrations are to close to the movie ones. The custom color settings are the exact same as your movie mode ones. Until I see data and the graphs, I have to say something is not right. The fact that you did it over a lunch break tells me your calibrations were done more so by eye than getting accurate ISF readings.

The whole point is, and I think the majority of us can agree that Samsung took out Micro Dimming on purpose in movie mode for more accurate ISF calibration. They are not going to put it back into Movie mode.

Also, I find it hard to believe that office of president called you back on the phone. After CNET got in touch with a known and reputable person from samsung and told him there was no fix currently planned. Either your feeding this thread a bunch of BS or Samsung is also smoking something. You get a call back from Office of president, while the rest of us get emails telling us to contact level one support. HMMMM. Also, it must have been a coincidence that office of president happened to call you right after CNET's updated review when they said samsung told them they were not aware of any planned fix.

I started to noticed all of this when you said you had a "open ticket" with samsung and the "engineers" confirmed it was a issue and was being looked into. Apparently CNET's contact was not aware of any issue and has no plans to fix this "issue" It just does not ad up to me. you tell us one thing, we find out later from credible sources the opposite. The ES8000 is not going to get fixed and for all I know this talk about Movie mode is broke could be the exact opposite. It could be the way Samsung wants it. To me it just sounds like excuses. The ES800 is what it is and people need to realize that. There is no "issue" with movie mode, it is exactly how Samsung intended Movie mode to work, that's why Calibrations can be really accurate.

#2,424 ·
Nice try, I'm unsure who crapped on your cornflakes today.

I said, I have a contact with Samsung, I was clear they are not in the TV area of things, but he passed it along to the correct people. I never claimed there was a fix coming, in fact I told people, if we wanted it fixed, we needed to light a fire under them.

I deal with Samsung Canada, it's a slightly different ballgame up here than it is for you in the States.

Level 1 support provides the same email on this issue btw.

As per the white balance, when I made the adjustments in Standard mode, the TV had the behavior that David mentioned in his comments, pressing reset at the bottom of the white balance page stopped this behavior and allowed the set to be calibrated.

I admire your passion, however, perhaps you should head over to the VT50 thread, I'm sure they will enjoy your passion just as much.

There are many people that will argue that CNet isn't as credible or unbiased as other sites.

#2,425 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/2400#post_22282478

Nice try, I'm unsure who crapped on your cornflakes today.

I said, I have a contact with Samsung, I was clear they are not in the TV area of things, but he passed it along to the correct people. I never claimed there was a fix coming, in fact I told people, if we wanted it fixed, we needed to light a fire under them.

I deal with Samsung Canada, it's a slightly different ballgame up here than it is for you in the States.

Level 1 support provides the same email on this issue btw.

As per the white balance, when I made the adjustments in Standard mode, the TV had the behavior that David mentioned in his comments, pressing reset at the bottom of the white balance page stopped this behavior and allowed the set to be calibrated.

I admire your passion, however, perhaps you should head over to the VT50 thread, I'm sure they will enjoy your passion just as much.

There are many people that will argue that CNet isn't as credible or unbiased as other sites.

Likewise. I will head over to the VT50 thread... You should also work on getting that Calibration Data posted to back up your "ISF Calibration" settings. You can make up excuses all you want, but everyone here knows what just said, you have no data to back up your settings. Get those and you will be much more credible.

At least CNET has data to back up their settings. Just face the facts, your not getting a fix for movie mode. It's how it should be, or its how Samsung wants it.

I still do not understand the reset thing with white balance. It just resets everything to 25. you had to do it because you already had your movie mode calibrations in there. CNET more than likely had the defaults of 25 for everything since it resets when you change modes if you have not already changed them. All in all it does not even matter, you have no data to show and from what I see its excuse after excuse.

#2,428 ·
I'm not trying to stir things up here but I hope people read what I posted and maybe they can start noticing what I noticed. I am also here to help. Maybe its just me but Other people should still take what I said in consideration. Nitra has been a great help to this thread, although to me like I posted stuff doesn't ad up. I'm helping people by pretty much saying there is no fix coming for movie mode. You can think there is but reality is there wont be IMO. I think people should take that into consideration especially if they are still in the 30-or 60 day return policy. People need to see both sides. The es8000 is a expensive set for it to be acting like it is.

#2,429 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refired  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/2400#post_22281795

Watching the Olympics on my new 65es8000. Is it me or is the motion blur really bad on this tv? This is the worst I've seen in the few days I've had this set.

I don't know if this is a fix or not, but I was messing with film settings, and changed it to Auto 2. I seemed to fix fast motion problems for me. again not sure if it is an actual fix.

#2,430 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas0linE  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/2400#post_22282572

I'm not trying to stir things up here but I hope people read what I posted and maybe they can start noticing what I noticed. I am also here to help. Maybe its just me but Other people should still take what I said in consideration. Nitra has been a great help to this thread, although to me like I posted stuff doesn't ad up. I'm helping people by pretty much saying there is no fix coming for movie mode. You can think there is but reality is there wont be IMO. I think people should take that into consideration especially if they are still in the 30-or 60 day return policy. People need to see both sides. The es8000 is a expensive set for it to be acting like it is.

I don't agree with how your are going about it. He is just trying to help. He posts his calibrated settings and you are telling him he has to posts his graphs / data in order to prove his settings are correct. First of all, each tv will be different. Second, he is just offering a suggested calibration. There is no need to have to prove that his settings are best for his TV. This is a site of enthusiasts, not a formal review.

#2,431 ·
True, but I also have the right to speak my opinion. I honestly think Nitra is making people think there is a fix coming when there is not going to be. Some or all of the stuff he said may be true, but IMO it does not all ad up. Maybe its just me, I dont care I already returned my ES8000 for the 65 inch VT50. I was so frusturated with the issues , what do I belive, Nitra, or CNET. Cnet has data, Nitra does not? who is right, Am I really getting my money worth with this TV? Are we ever going to see Movie mode the way we want it here?

People need see that as well. I finally got so frustrated with it I returned the damn thing.

sorry if I'm coming off rude, but that is how I see it. The only one here I ever seen with a normal point of view is Eagle 2. I think he is more on the same page as I am with this whole micro dimming and CE dimming and Movie/standard mode.

Again, Nitra, I really did appreciate your input, you were a big help. Although I have my opinion and spoke it. No pun intended. You have no idea how frustrated I was getting when you tell me one thing but I read somewhere else another thing. Who do I believe? All I care about is the money I spent on this TV and if Im getting my money worth out of it when my wife is telling me the colors look washed out and I cant get the damn thing to look good at night time.

all in all, I know I will be much happier with the VT50. I did a ton of research and also talked to some well experienced people. I love my night/dark viewing and the VT50 will give me that Cinematic very nice saturated color at night time. I also will admit, Samsungs marketing got me (Micro Dimming) thought it would look like a plasma at night time, boy was I wrong!

I know he is trying to help and I appreciate that, Althought I think he is fabricating the issue. I honestly cant tell you I believe what he says. To me it does not ad up. like I stated before, his calibrations look good, it is the standard ones I question. With Cnet data and calibrations and his someone is not doing something right. Thats why I ask for data. IF Nitra's Data looks great, we know its CNET, if the data looks worse than CNET's or no data is provided then I am stuck in the same boat that doesn't help me much.. That is why I want to see Data. That will help all of us out in making a decision. You can stay blind and get fabricated, I do not do that and look at all sides evenly. I'm trying to get people to see passed the "fabricating" and they can make their own decision and opinion from there. There is nothing wrong with asking to post Data, you do not have to but then I can't say I trust them.

#2,436 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by remlee  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/2430#post_22282761

Some of the information I see at the various sites that are going to sell it indicate that the ES9000 is still edge lit.

LOL. Ohh wow look at that. Another thing Nitra said that seems to not b true. What a surprise! but wait he actually saw it.

"The TV will use a combination of the company's Micro Dimming Ultimate (which is on the ES8000) and Precision Black Local Dimming technology (which isn't) to deliver what it claims will be the "highest contrast ratio on a Samsung Smart TV to date" for what that's worth. Given that the E8000 plasma has a fairly impressive dynamic range, this is quite a bold claim, especially for an LCD television. The ES9000 is the only 2012 Samsung TV to employ local dimming, although it does so from an edge-lit configuration (like Sony's HX850) as opposed to full-array (like the Sharp Elite)."

Thats from CNET.

Now wait, now who do we beleive? Nitra with all of his connections who actually "seen" it or CNET? I think you guys can get the picture here.

#2,438 ·
What is your problem with him Gas? I mean really. He is just trying to help and you have been riding his butt for the last two weeks. This isn't the first post like this. Go enjoy your TV and stop busting on someone that is just trying to help.

It is one thing to friendly disagree, but it is something else to be a jerk about it.

#2,439 ·
Thats false information he just gave about the ES9000. He claims he seen it in person and told people it was full array. Hey, if you like getting false info, be my guest.

"It's full array, I've seen it up close." Look back 1 page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/2400#post_22281608

It's full array, I've seen it up close.

A bit thicker, but tbh, I'd prefer the thickness for the bonuses.

I really wish they'd have kept the B8500. Saying that, the picture my ES8000 is much better than my A750, I can't gripe about it too much..... When the OLED's finally come down and they issues are ironed out with them, I'll update the ES8000 to one... Hopefully all the issues are solved by then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.