AVS Forum banner
1M views 16K replies 720 participants last post by  Canuck_TO 
#1 ·

Just bought the ES8000 from best buy. I called my local best buy to see if they had any, she said they have one each at 2 stores locally. I thought, oh ok they are probably show units but ill try anyway. I walked in at the perfect time. They got one in and just opened the box when I asked the guy if I could have it. All he did was cut the tape on the top of the box, the stand wasnt even removed yet (its on the top). He ended up selling it to me. Got some pics if anyone is interested.

Anyway. Im now selling my UN46B8500. Works graet, I have all original packaging and boxes. Im not sure what to sell it for yet. Even though the set is a couple years old, it has maybe a year (or less) worth of use because Ive been out of the country several times since i bought it.

#10,241 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10200#post_22834540

Why are you posting Samsung info in our DirecTV thread??

Blade, is this new news like with an update or were you not using eco before, or like me was your eco sensor simply not working for a few weeks?

So, since there is no retailer in town right now, I didn't get to check out DirecTV, I called to see what kind of a package they'd give me, and now I'm scheduled to have it installed in two weeks, lol.

"SUCKA"...

I think I got a pretty good deal. I picked the Premiere package, and I'm getting it for $60 first 3 months, then $105/month for the rest of the first year. I'm currently paying $108 a month for UVerse and I'm not getting all the movie channels. So thats already a good deal there. HBO/CINEMAX/SHOWTIME/STARZ etc...I currently only get HBO and SHOWTIME for 3 months free with my U300 package.

The sales guy did throw the typical salesman talk out there, saying Dish and AT&T only had 720 signals, and they were the only ones with 1080, bla bla bla. I was a "well qualified" customer so I got the Nomad and Cinema packages free, and basic install free, not sure I'd need "custom" install do I?

The 2nd year is discounted as well, to $124/month...which didn't sound so good, but I guess the prices you see online don't include the $20 HD fee. I am getting a $10 discount for paperless billing and auto draft payments. And some $30 discount/rebate for new customers, maybe thats why its only $60 for first 3 months.

What else did I not cover? My wife is afraid of change, but I told her about the 5 HD recordings at same time, the Genie etc, she was open to it. I'm more excited about the better signal, I just hope I can see it and its worth the hassle of breaking up my AT&T bundle that I've been happy with for a few years now.

#10,242 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10230#post_22839258

Agree, watching ESPN/3D is awesome. I just wish they'd carry something live that's worth watching. Old sporting events are fine for a while, but before long it's like watching the HD Demo loop that ran for months on PBS when HD was just beginning to catch on.

Fake 3D, aka 2D/3D simulation is kind of a yawner for me.

As for the people having issues with banding on their 65's (like me) I find that using your (Garnoch's) Standard settings have all but eliminated it for me. For example, in the currently running Commercial for the Carnival Cruise Line (The couple in the car being attacked by the bear & lion) I see absolutely no banding *at all*

Another observation is that I see absolutely no visible banding in any 4:3 content - it's just not there. Where I can sometimes see it is in 16 x 9 content with a blue background, visible whether the background is bright blue or pastel, but with the contrast in the mid-to-upper 90s someone not looking for it is apt not to notice.

For what it's worth, mine is an MS01 display (I don't know what that means, but that's the # on the box and on the back of the set.)

How noticeable was your banding on panning shots. That is where I found it most annoying.

#10,244 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10200#post_22836283

I have't heard of this one here, Cap'n. That sucks. I think I understand but let me just ask - are you connected via HDMI directly to the TV? Have you tried other cables and other inputs? Do you normally use the internal speakers?

My sound problem is solved. Found a defective HDMI cable (Cheap Chinese variety) - I normally use only BELDEN cables from Blue Jeans Cable for my HDMI, but was one short and grabbed a cheapie that Comcast furnished with an HD box. It worked for a while.

As a retired FCC-licensed communications engineer, I do not "subscribe" to all the marketing hype that goes along with "Monster" cables, (a fool & his money are soon parted) but do believe there is a worthwhile difference in buying a quality name brand HDMI cable (i.e., Belden, USA made) without going to the ridiculous extremes that some do.

#10,245 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony5362  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10230#post_22839296

I definitely want to hear what you think in 2 weeks once its installed, since I'm heading down that path myself. I'm looking to switch more for the signal as well. Everyone keeps saying that Comcast HD has more Compression than D.T.

Will do. I'm not feeling total buyers remorse yet, so thats good. A bit excited to see how it turns out.

#10,246 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10230#post_22839269

So, since there is no retailer in town right now, I didn't get to check out DirecTV, I called to see what kind of a package they'd give me, and now I'm scheduled to have it installed in two weeks, lol.

"SUCKA"...

I think I got a pretty good deal. I picked the Premiere package, and I'm getting it for $60 first 3 months, then $105/month for the rest of the first year. I'm currently paying $108 a month for UVerse and I'm not getting all the movie channels. So thats already a good deal there. HBO/CINEMAX/SHOWTIME/STARZ etc...I currently only get HBO and SHOWTIME for 3 months free with my U300 package.

The sales guy did throw the typical salesman talk out there, saying Dish and AT&T only had 720 signals, and they were the only ones with 1080, bla bla bla. I was a "well qualified" customer so I got the Nomad and Cinema packages free, and basic install free, not sure I'd need "custom" install do I?

The 2nd year is discounted as well, to $124/month...which didn't sound so good, but I guess the prices you see online don't include the $20 HD fee. I am getting a $10 discount for paperless billing and auto draft payments. And some $30 discount/rebate for new customers, maybe thats why its only $60 for first 3 months.

What else did I not cover? My wife is afraid of change, but I told her about the 5 HD recordings at same time, the Genie etc, she was open to it. I'm more excited about the better signal, I just hope I can see it and its worth the hassle of breaking up my AT&T bundle that I've been happy with for a few years now.

Congrats, man! Enjoy and can't wait to hear your thoughts moving from AT&T. I'm actually surprised you got the Nomad too so that is AWESOME!

#10,247 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10230#post_22839287

How noticeable was your banding on panning shots. That is where I found it most annoying.

Panning shots, as in sports, i.e., football? If it's there, it really didn't catch my eye. I'll try to watch a little more closely - maybe check out some basketball.

#10,248 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10230#post_22839307

My sound problem is solved. Found a defective HDMI cable (Cheap Chinese variety) - I normally use only BELDEN cables from Blue Jeans Cable for my HDMI, but was one short and grabbed a cheapie that Comcast furnished with an HD box. It worked for a while.

As a retired FCC-licensed communications engineer, I do not "subscribe" to all the marketing hype that goes along with "Monster" cables, (a fool & his money are soon parted) but do believe there is a worthwhile difference in buying a quality name brand HDMI cable (i.e., Belden, USA made) without going to the ridiculous extremes that some do.

Thanks for the update. I agree totally on cables. There are crap cables, but the signal is digital, it's either going to work or not. Spending the money on Monster cables is crazy.

#10,249 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10230#post_22839269

"SUCKA"...

...snip.

We conducted a little "test" about 6 years ago with one of the Mits 65" (WD65831) "It's the mirrors" RP displays. With a nominal 10' viewing distance and an A/B switch toggling between identical content, no one could consistently tell 720P from 1080i

#10,250 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10230#post_22839385

We conducted a little "test" about 6 years ago with one of the Mits 65" (WD65831) "It's the mirrors" RP displays. With a nominal 10' viewing distance and an A/B switch toggling between identical content, no one could consistently tell 720P from 1080i

Agreed. And if you get close enough, I'm in the group of people that would say 720 probably edges out 1080i.

#10,251 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10230#post_22839385

Yeah, this is why I wished I could see it in person before I have it installed. I might just be wasting time, even though change is good after a while.

I did want to change my ISP from AT&T to Cox, so why not try out a new TV Service as well?

#10,252 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10230#post_22839336

Thanks for the update. I agree totally on cables. There are crap cables, but the signal is digital, it's either going to work or not. Spending the money on Monster cables is crazy.

Where you really get the payback on good versus crap HDMI cables is on the longer lengths, i.e., 15' and greater. Still no justification for "Monster" brand, but the top end Belden (typically half the price of Monster) is well worth the investment.

.....oxygen-free cables, my arse

#10,253 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnoch  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10260#post_22839393

Agreed. And if you get close enough, I'm in the group of people that would say 720 probably edges out 1080i.

lol...so what are you saying here? Don't start confusing me again. AT&T and Dish's 720p signal is going to edge out a 1080i DirecTV signal on my nice new LED 1080p TV?

#10,254 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10260#post_22839412

Where you really get the payback on good versus crap HDMI cables is on the longer lengths, i.e., 15' and greater. Still no justification for "Monster" brand, but the top end Belden (typically half the price of Monster) is well worth the investment.

.....oxygen-free cables, my arse

Yes, Like I'm sure is the same with your dealer, my long monoprice cables we much more expensive and thick.

#10,255 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10260#post_22839413

lol...so what are you saying here? Don't start confusing me again. AT&T and Dish's 720p signal is going to edge out a 1080i DirecTV signal on my nice new LED 1080p TV?

Ha no no, Dish I think looks like DirecTV, but none of that comes down to 1080i or 720p, it comes down to how much the provider is compressing the signal before sending it to you - which is the problem you're having. I'm pretty sure Dish is both 1080i and 720p just like DirecTV is though. See when the conversion to HD happened, some stations decided to go 720p and some decided to go 1080i. DirecTV re-compresses those signals and send them out without changing the resolution. Unfortunately, a lot of providers (yours) compresses the signal too much and perhaps with older technology. First you have a Master (tape) then the broadcast standard is MPEG2 so it gets compressed on the way out (this is what antennas pick up), then the providers get the signal and compress it more to fit as many channels as they can in their limited pipeline. Just a few years ago, DirecTV changed the way they compress for higher quality and launched additional satellites just to handle all the HD channels.

#10,256 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10260#post_22839407

Yeah, this is why I wished I could see it in person before I have it installed. I might just be wasting time, even though change is good after a while.

I did want to change my ISP from AT&T to Cox, so why not try out a new TV Service as well?

Seems like a good enough reason to me:)

The store that conducted that 720/1080 test recently did another, this time a motion test watching a baseball game at 120Hz vs 240 Hz... again, no discernible difference to the naked eye at normal viewing distances. Both displays were well masked-off with black sheets so you could not see the bezel and thus identify the model. They were both 1-yr old Sony's (2011 models), one was an XBR and the other an entry level Bravia. Both were 46" displays that had been calibrated.

#10,257 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjmccord  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10260#post_22839413

No, its dependent on the TV's ability to de-interlace 1080i.

For good ESPN 720p signals...maybe., Normal Fox or ABC 720p - not even close.

At 46-65 inches (TV sizes) you can clearly see the difference between 1080i and 720p viewing from 6ft or closer.

1080i still images, or with minimum motion looks way better.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57524867-221/1080i-and-1080p-are-the-same-resolution/

Its 2,073,600 pixels, same as 1080p.

#10,258 ·
Has anyone ever ordered a panel from Amazon? How did they ship it? Also, did the box come already opened like BBs stupid policy where they unbox prior to delivery to check if screen is cracked or broken? If I do wind up ordering another panel, perhaps I need to try someplace other than BB home delivery. Last but not least, in my case of being a dead pixel magnet, what is their exchange return policy on TVs. Of they pick it up or do you need to ship it back to them?

#10,260 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472  /t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/10260#post_22840635

Has anyone ever ordered a panel from Amazon? How did they ship it? Also, did the box come already opened like BBs stupid policy where they unbox prior to delivery to check if screen is cracked or broken? If I do wind up ordering another panel, perhaps I need to try someplace other than BB home delivery. Last but not least, in my case of being a dead pixel magnet, what is their exchange return policy on TVs. Of they pick it up or do you need to ship it back to them?

After everything you went through, why not try direct from the manufacturer?

My ES7100 came direct from Samsung and its definitely free of dead pixels, flashlighting, clouding and banding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.