post #1 of 14 Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well this is disapointing. There is a discussion in the Elite thread

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33379_1-573...-local-dimmer/

I was worried about the "TBD" and the fact, given how much this could cut into Elite sales (the 100 people who own them), if and when this would ever come out.

Sicne any "local dimming" would be an improvment upon an already impressive (if calibrated) "735" many (like me) were holding off on teh Elite supposed late spring/summer.

Bummer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-12-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'm not a particular buyer of info that comes from CNet. I've found their track record to be 'meh' at best and not particularly better than a random walk over time. When 1/1/13 hits and the 945 has yet to be delivered I'll believe it. Until then, or at least until clearly official word from Sharp, I'm not worried.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #3 of 14 Old 03-12-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

I'm not a particular buyer of info that comes from CNet. I've found their track record to be 'meh' at best and not particularly better than a random walk over time. When 1/1/13 hits and the 945 has yet to be delivered I'll believe it. Until then, or at least until clearly official word from Sharp, I'm not worried.

Well, sicne you are a "gold club memeber" and I am just a "special member" I will beleive you.

But still - the 945 at the price has to look so freakin good they will cannablize people like me who Love the Elite but teh price is too much.

For me, a "splurge" on myself of 4k is something I can tolerate. 6-7k just will make me see and hate every little problem. At 4k over 5 years that is alot of enjoyment of <$4/day (starbucks prices).

sjc
post #4 of 14 Old 03-12-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 528
They sell a few thousand Elites per quarter. They would move somewhere between 3 and 10x as many 945s. This isn't about protecting the Elite. They can easily do that with a few features and some cosmetics.

They would capture tens of millions (minimum) in additional gross margin by having the 945 in the product line (I did an analysis on this last year, someone bored might try to find it although it was based on something called the 935, last year's hypothetical version of this).

There is something more going on here. As I said in the other thread, I have ideas as to what, but they involve speculation that isn't especially interesting at this point. You can look at production issues, channel issues, perceived value of the Sharp brand to consumers, etc. for ideas and form your own guesses.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
If this is true, it's a bummer for those like me who were waiting for this set to be available by the end of June at 3,300$ for the 60''.

So, what are the alternatives?
post #6 of 14 Old 03-12-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

There is something more going on here. As I said in the other thread, I have ideas as to what, but they involve speculation that isn't especially interesting at this point. You can look at production issues, channel issues, perceived value of the Sharp brand to consumers, etc. for ideas and form your own guesses.

DO you have a link to your other thread
post #7 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 89
sucks if true...hopefully some official statements will be coming soon regarding the 945 and the 2nd generation Elite's
post #8 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Seeing the "Elite" name and that David Katzmaier says it takes after the old Pioneer Kuro Elites, I'm wndering if Sharp and Pioneer were, indeed, one and the same company. That begs to mind that question.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post

Seeing the "Elite" name and that David Katzmaier says it takes after the old Pioneer Kuro Elites, I'm wndering if Sharp and Pioneer were, indeed, one and the same company. That begs to mind that question.

The Elite name is licensed to Sharp from Pioneer, which uses Elite on audio equipment still. The companies are entirely separate.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I have been advised by Sharp Electonics Canada that at this time they do not have any info on the released date of the LC-60LE945U.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Well perhaps in 2013 we'll see another full array set in the Sharp lineup. Is the Elite the only one available now from Sharp?
post #12 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's my understanding the set is NOT cancelled yet. This is merely a rumor. Sharp just lost a customer if they don't make the 945.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

In the Elite thread a "pulsing" issue was cited as a possible reason for the rumored change... It's all conjecture but these rumors usually end up being true...
post #14 of 14 Old 03-17-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

The Elite name is licensed to Sharp from Pioneer, which uses Elite on audio equipment still. The companies are entirely separate.

Isn't Sharp a partual owner of Pioneer? I thought I read it somewhere...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page