Was 'proper' BFI impossible prior to introduction of LED Backlighting? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-12-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
First of all....I don't mean to start a MCFI flame war. I personally don't like the (IMO) overally smooth image it can create but a) I can understand why some folks may like the effect and b) I can see the need to use SOMETHING to improve motion resolution on LCD sets.

My last set was a Sony SXRD and I remember it having some sort of BFI (I no longer have the TV so can't pull up the proper menu name for it) but frankly it sucked. I could see flicker and it just wasn't comfortable to watch.

My new set (a Sony NX720) has BFI via the Clear Motionflow settings and I LOVE it. Seems much more natural to me and the based upon the research I've done it merely mimics (or attempts to) what other display technologies do to reduce the 'hold effect'. It certainly lowers overall brightness but adjusting the backlight accordingly has been an easy solution.

So finally my question: Assuming that BFI more closely resembles what other techs that have a better reputation for motion resolution (CRT etc) have been doing successfully forever why does it seem like it takes a backseat to MCFI? Almost as if MCFI was pursued first rather than something like BFI that seems easier and more intuitive. Did it take the arrival of LED backlighting to finally make it viable?

The BFI on my new Sony is just such a revelation (I'm sure it's not perfect but I really like it...feel free to share some of the downsides I might have missed) that I'm surprised that it didn't 'come first'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Would it be correct to assume that BFI=backlight strobing and MCFI=frame interpolation?

Steve S.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-13-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Would it be correct to assume that BFI=backlight strobing and MCFI=frame interpolation?

Sorta... Black Frame Insertion (BFI)...although I assume it would be possible to insert black frames WITHOUT backlight strobing.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-13-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
AFAIK Backlight strobing has replaced Black Frame Insertion(BFI) as the preferred and most common method of removing a "held" frame image from the screen in 3D TVs neither have to do with frame interpolation used to smooth moving moving objects.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page