Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 3969 Old 03-06-2013, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

As was my assessment from the beginning. I just wanted to give him/her a chance to follow up on this as if it were real.

I told you i can put up basic pictures etc but i'm not a professional blogger/reviewer.

Delivery from freight company is scheduled at this point to show up on Friday, if they get it early enough they're going to put it on a truck and send it my way... if it arrives too late they'll have to reschedule for Monday.

No games, and i don't even see why its a big deal.. is it not for sale anywhere yet? Nowhere? So i'm going to be one of the first regular joe consumers to own one? ... kinda cool not that you put it that way haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3969 Old 03-06-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post

Quote:

As was my assessment from the beginning. I just wanted to give him/her a chance to follow up on this as if it were real.

I told you i can put up basic pictures etc but i'm not a professional blogger/reviewer.

No, actually, you didn't, you said not to expect details, etc., but I'm not bringing out the big guns on this one. It doesn't matter.

Here's how I'll phrase it as best I can as to why this happened. Your posts did happen to look a lot like someone who is making things up. Do I know that for sure? No. Could you be on the up and up? Sure. Did I over-react? Could be: if so, I'm sorry. If you did make it up, then you'll be part of a sort of troll that is showing up now and again throughout forums. If you didn't, you tripped into a pattern that I may have been too quick to jump on. Again: I don't know, I'm sorry for the assumption, be well.

*All that aside*, if you get a pic or two in a real life setting when you get it, post it, because it'll help a lot of people.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #3063 of 3969 Old 03-06-2013, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedataman View Post

Having performance issues watching MKV files from external USB 3.0 drive. First movie I put on drive had no issues. Now all 4 of the movies I have on the drive are stopping periodically and lagging something fierce.....

The drive is brand new 5gb drive, and as I said the first movie I moved to the drive played great.....

It also seems like the software on the TV is super slow as well...

My firmware is at 04.31.43

Anyone else experiencing these issues? I was loving this TV, now it is starting to annoy me....

I get a split second delay when playing some .mkv files via USB. Typically the picture freezes and audio drops out, then resumes again. Duration is less than a second. Quite annoying. I notice when it happens my audio amp Dolby 5.1 light winks off/on.

At first I thought it only happened during action scenes but after tracking it I could find no correlation. Then I thought it happened in regular timed intervals, i.e. every 6 minutes, but now I realize it must be random. Because of issues with my Comcast DVR, I've taken to torrenting TV shows I couldn't record so I thought it might be the fault of the uploader, but don't know. The frequency that it occurs has decreased as I've owned the TV, it's about once every 25-30 minutes. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not. I'm not on the latest firmware.

The menu on the TV works normally with USB.
post #3064 of 3969 Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a good example of the kinds of photos that help people with brand new releases of things. There just isn't enough information on a model when it's fresh on the market otherwise.

Take a quick look at how this guy was trying to help us all decipher just what the heck the 60LM7200 was all about:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438854/official-lg-xxlm7200-thread/0_100#post_22586281

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438854/official-lg-xxlm7200-thread/0_100#post_22585483

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #3065 of 3969 Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

No, actually, you didn't, you said not to expect details, etc., but I'm not bringing out the big guns on this one. It doesn't matter.

Here's how I'll phrase it as best I can as to why this happened. Your posts did happen to look a lot like someone who is making things up. Do I know that for sure? No. Could you be on the up and up? Sure. Did I over-react? Could be: if so, I'm sorry. If you did make it up, then you'll be part of a sort of troll that is showing up now and again throughout forums. If you didn't, you tripped into a pattern that I may have been too quick to jump on. Again: I don't know, I'm sorry for the assumption, be well.

*All that aside*, if you get a pic or two in a real life setting when you get it, post it, because it'll help a lot of people.

I believe the best course of action is for a person to simply post once they have the item in question. Stating that you are getting something before the masses have access to it but declining to give any info as to how you come about getting it is very questionable. As is often said...Without pic, it didn't happen!
klopez3709 likes this.
post #3066 of 3969 Old 03-06-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbe425 View Post

Quote:

I believe the best course of action is for a person to simply post once they have the item in question. Stating that you are getting something before the masses have access to it but declining to give any info as to how you come about getting it is very questionable. As is often said...Without pic, it didn't happen!

Pretty much. I think feeding this thing will make it all worse though. Back on topic.
klopez3709 likes this.

post #3067 of 3969 Old 03-06-2013, 04:07 PM

Liked: 10
After exchanging my set a third time I got one with very minor light leak at the top. Setting LD to low / med takes care of it while the set is running. I'm glad that the new firmware allows for LD to be on during gaming.

The only thing that is causing me grief is not being able to see any change when I adjust the 3D depth in the 3D settings screen. Viewpoint controls works but depth controls do absolutely nothing. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong? I've tested it with composite cables only for now (playing Wii at the moment).

Surely I should be able to see a difference? Anyone with the same issue?
post #3068 of 3969 Old 03-06-2013, 04:09 PM

Liked: 14
Sorry i can't help but laugh about all of this, i didn't realize it was going to be a big deal.

Yes, will post pictures either friday or monday when i receive it.
post #3069 of 3969 Old 03-06-2013, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by klopez3709 View Post

Bought a 7600 a few weeks ago (exchanged the 6700.). I adore the set; however I have the dreaded light leak issue. It is on the top middle area. I only see this when in my Comcast screensaver on HDMI 1 or on the other HDMI connections on blank screens. The other areas of the screen look cloudy as well when not in active content.

This does not happen during active content. I am well within my return window (6 weeks left). The nearby stores (Best Buy) are all out of the set and tell me they will not get more in because of the model year change. I can exchange this at a store about 20 miles or so away, however I'm afraid I'll get the same or worse. Besides the fact that my husband is not fond of packing the set up and returning it.

I bought the set for $1399 price matched from Amazon and as much as I would love to trade up for a newer model, it will be much more money because of the great deal I made.

Any advice? Do you think I should just ignore and enjoy or have the Geek Squad (have 5 year warranty) come over and check out. So confused - I change my mind daily because of this.

Thanks in advance. -Kathie

Thank you for all the advice. I think with the hassle of returning the set and the future complaints from hubby, I will keep what I have and ignore the flash lighting issue. I will still read this board though. The user insights gained are wonderful and help greatly.
post #3070 of 3969 Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 PM

Liked: 11
Got my set yesterday and have been messing around with the settings alot. Im sure I will continue to as well, im always looking to improve the picture of my tvs. Have some flashlighting at some of the edges but with local dimming on low it isnt what I had feared. I think I may have gotten a good panel on my first go. That is with the back light turned up high. Im curious if there are any apps, games etc I should be checking out?
klopez3709 likes this.
post #3071 of 3969 Old 03-06-2013, 07:17 PM

So is this tv worth buying? It seems like most of you are bringing the tv back for a replacement because of lighting issues. I'm debating this tv or samsung 7500. I know PC Richards doesn't have a return policy on opened items and i don't want to buy this and be stuck with bad lighting.
post #3072 of 3969 Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 PM

I think you'll find that flashlight is pretty much in all edge lit LEDs. That being said, I think most reviews have skewed toward the LG for better black level and passive 3d if that's important to you. For what it's worth, according to pcmag survey of 2011, LG was the most reliable brand. Samsung I believe is near the bottom. Most samsung products tend to be at the bottom of the list in terms of reliability (smartphones, tablets, cameras, etc.)
post #3073 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmab7 View Post

I am unable to find my subscribed channels un Youtube even though I have logged in with my id.

The YouTube app refuses to retain my login between uses and I can't access my subscriptions or playlists, either. I think it's just half-assed software. Maybe they'll update it for better functionality at some point. I find it less annoying to just use regular youtube through my laptop which is hooked up with an HDMI cord because I can at least then find what I'm looking for even if it takes a few extra steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonheart View Post

what do you think of the local dimming set to high in CNET settings?

Putting local dimming on high got rid of all my light bleed issues. My picture isn't murky or blurry or weird in any way, all the colors are perfectly distinct, there are no odd artifacts or anything like that and the only time I'm even reminded that I had light bleed is when an app is loading. I didn't use any setting guidelines to set it up, I just did it by eye with one set of settings for OTA broadcast, another for the built in apps and another for stuff streaming through my laptop. My dad came over the other day and watched a movie with me and every fifteen minutes just kept saying, "It's so beautiful" and the majority of this movie was set in a scuzzy motel and Steve Buscemi was one of the whiskey guzzling leads so I'm pretty sure he was referring to the picture quality.
post #3074 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srd5335 View Post

So is this tv worth buying? It seems like most of you are bringing the tv back for a replacement because of lighting issues. I'm debating this tv or samsung 7500. I know PC Richards doesn't have a return policy on opened items and i don't want to buy this and be stuck with bad lighting.

Please, do not buy a TV from a vendor that does not allow returns like that.

TVs are far from "perfect" devices currently. Don't be among the masses that feel stuck just to save a couple hundred dollars upfront. The money you save will mean NOTHING compared to the irking you'll feel.

Remember people, you're staring at these things every day, and in most cases for hours.

post #3075 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:

Please, do not buy a TV from a vendor that does not allow returns like that.

TVs are far from "perfect" devices currently. Don't be among the masses that feel stuck just to save a couple hundred dollars upfront. The money you save will mean NOTHING compared to the irking you'll feel.

Remember people, you're staring at these things every day, and in most cases for hours.
Agree, I would never buy an electronic device that cannot be returned, especially an edge lit LCD TV. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 exchanges to get a decent looking panel you will be happy with.

Even worse, an open box without being allowed to exchange. Odds are it was a return so someone already found something wrong with it.

In the past 2 weeks I went through a 47lm4600, 55lm4600, 55lm6400 and a 55lm6700. Luckily my latest TV the 6700 has a really good panel that I can live with but it opened my eyes to what is out there.
post #3076 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by StCelery View Post

The YouTube app refuses to retain my login between uses and I can't access my subscriptions or playlists, either. I think it's just half-assed software. Maybe they'll update it for better functionality at some point. I find it less annoying to just use regular youtube through my laptop which is hooked up with an HDMI cord because I can at least then find what I'm looking for even if it takes a few extra steps.
Putting local dimming on high got rid of all my light bleed issues. My picture isn't murky or blurry or weird in any way, all the colors are perfectly distinct, there are no odd artifacts or anything like that and the only time I'm even reminded that I had light bleed is when an app is loading. I didn't use any setting guidelines to set it up, I just did it by eye with one set of settings for OTA broadcast, another for the built in apps and another for stuff streaming through my laptop. My dad came over the other day and watched a movie with me and every fifteen minutes just kept saying, "It's so beautiful" and the majority of this movie was set in a scuzzy motel and Steve Buscemi was one of the whiskey guzzling leads so I'm pretty sure he was referring to the picture quality.

It would be a 1 in a trillion chance (or something like that...) that you set up the picture by eye to be anywhere near as good as it can be. Why wouldn't you use the built in calibration program? Try using that to get at least somewhat close to a calibrated picture. Better yet, why not use the CNET settings? It's about as close to having a pro calibrate as it gets.

And I guarantee putting dimming on High does alter the picture, does make it murky. It takes away highlights where they should be, and will produce what I showed in the picture in this thread. It also can alter objects like clouds and the sun depending on how they are highlighted.
What does vary, is what people can see, or what bothers them. And as always, the bottom line is if you are happy with how it looks, that's the most important thing. To get the most out of your TV try the CNET settings, be sure to make ALL the settings, one is dependent on the other.

Youtube does lose the sign in sometimes for me also. It's not as annoying as it could be because I use my Smartphone to send youtube to the TV without any cables needed. I would do what you are doing otherwise, connect my laptop because the app on the TV isn't the best.
post #3077 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzkee View Post

After exchanging my set a third time I got one with very minor light leak at the top. Setting LD to low / med takes care of it while the set is running. I'm glad that the new firmware allows for LD to be on during gaming.

The only thing that is causing me grief is not being able to see any change when I adjust the 3D depth in the 3D settings screen. Viewpoint controls works but depth controls do absolutely nothing. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong? I've tested it with composite cables only for now (playing Wii at the moment).

The Depth Setting is very subtle compared to the Viewpoint setting. You may see it in certain scenes if you pause the picture but it's not an in your face setting. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
post #3078 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 07:05 AM

Liked: 15
Does anybody have 3D cal settings for the 7600? Thanks

LG 55 LM7600, LG BP 620, Yamaha RX-V 677, Direct TV HR24-200, NHT Classic Ten sub, TwoC Center, NHT Classic Three's Mains, NHT IC2 surrounds.
post #3079 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzkee View Post

So I have all my inputs set to PC right now, is there any benefit to switching them over to Game now that LD is available in that mode?
post #3080 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrieD View Post

So I have all my inputs set to PC right now, is there any benefit to switching them over to Game now that LD is available in that mode?
In addition to this I work would like to know if there is any disadvantage to changing it to PC for a PS3 when watching blu ray movies.
post #3081 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Thank you for all the advice. I think with the hassle of returning the set and the future complaints from hubby, I will keep what I have and ignore the flash lighting issue. I will still read this board though. The user insights gained are wonderful and help greatly.

I am going to drive myself nuts, as well as my patient husband.

After watching the set before work this morning and last night, I decided I need to exchange it. The light-bleed on top center (shows up in very dark scenes) is just too annoying. If (and I very much plan to) I keep this set for many years to come, I will be sorry I didn't exchange it within the return period. And that light-bleed will always be something I look for.

I just hope and wish that the new set will have very minimal issues - if any. Best Buy (about 1/2 hour away) is holding the set until Sunday for me. I haven't told my husband yet. I'm sure he will be just thrilled to pack up the set again and set up the new one.
post #3082 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 AM

Liked: 12
Smart choice to return it. Not to be sexist but it's nice to see an woman concerned about something like this for a change. My wife could careless. mad.gif
post #3083 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:

Smart choice to return it. Not to be sexist but it's nice to see an woman concerned about something like this for a change. My wife could careless. mad.gif

I am the computer/gadget geek in the family. smile.gif
post #3084 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

I am going to drive myself nuts, as well as my patient husband.

After watching the set before work this morning and last night, I decided I need to exchange it. The light-bleed on top center (shows up in very dark scenes) is just too annoying. If (and I very much plan to) I keep this set for many years to come, I will be sorry I didn't exchange it within the return period. And that light-bleed will always be something I look for.

I just hope and wish that the new set will have very minimal issues - if any. Best Buy (about 1/2 hour away) is holding the set until Sunday for me. I haven't told my husband yet. I'm sure he will be just thrilled to pack up the set again and set up the new one.
I packed up and returned my set last night. I didn't exchange it, in fear of getting a worse panel. I'm in no rush to replace my current tv, unless it dies. Best of luck on the new panel.

On a side note:
I returned my set to Frys Electronics. After seeing first hand what they did to the TV for the "testing" portion of the return.(put their hands all over the screen, even dropping it a few times.....it was bad.) I would never consider getting an "open box" item from them, ever! Granted this was just my experience at my current location, but possibly an indication of what other locations do too. Also, they decided my tv was defective (they could see the backlight bleed, even under the bright overhead lighting).....so I hope they won't try and resell it.
post #3085 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicTonic View Post

I packed up and returned my set last night. I didn't exchange it, in fear of getting a worse panel. I'm in no rush to replace my current tv, unless it dies. Best of luck on the new panel.

On a side note:
I returned my set to Frys Electronics. After seeing first hand what they did to the TV for the "testing" portion of the return.(put their hands all over the screen, even dropping it a few times.....it was bad.) I would never consider getting an "open box" item from them, ever! Granted this was just my experience at my current location, but possibly an indication of what other locations do too. Also, they decided my tv was defective (they could see the backlight bleed, even under the bright overhead lighting).....so I hope they won't try and resell it.

Fry's is a piece of garbage. IMO

LG 55 LM7600, LG BP 620, Yamaha RX-V 677, Direct TV HR24-200, NHT Classic Ten sub, TwoC Center, NHT Classic Three's Mains, NHT IC2 surrounds.
post #3086 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I am the computer/gadget geek in the family. smile.gif

I think you're wise to return it as well. I had thought you were not getting it on any active content, (not sure how that could happen, but) the best advice in that case is to keep it and forget it. But you're getting it during movies, etc., which is common.

Like I've said elsewhere, you will be watching this thing for a long time every day.....don't irritate yourself at the very start.

post #3087 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:

I think you're wise to return it as well. I had thought you were not getting it on any active content, (not sure how that could happen, but) the best advice in that case is to keep it and forget it. But you're getting it during movies, etc., which is common.

Like I've said elsewhere, you will be watching this thing for a long time every day.....don't irritate yourself at the very start.

I'm not really getting this on active content that fills the entire screen (HD shows) - but with content that is not HD (or older programs) and movies with letter boxing. I now look for that light leak and ultimately I see it - its a mind game that I need to end.
post #3088 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not really getting this on active content that fills the entire screen (HD shows) - but with content that is not HD (or older programs) and movies with letter boxing. I now look for that light leak and ultimately I see it - its a mind game that I need to end.

It's not a mind game that I personally can handle, so I understand. It's a bit of a curse actually. I'm the same way with every last project I do: If a "right angle" is 89.999°, then I'll notice it every time I look at it.

And it absolutely aggravates me that a TV with a street price(!!!) of $1500 is doing something like this.

Return away. Oh, and return it for a full refund, don't exchange it. You don't need the hassle of figuring out down the road what happened should something *else* go wrong....and I trust *no* store any longer with keeping track of purchasing details.

post #3089 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After reading that people have had either success or failure in getting rid of the bleed/making it worse by either pinching the corner or attaching the set to a wall mount, I'm convinced the light bleed has to do with the way this television is assembled. It might be so thin that the frame needs to be evenly attached to the panel for a more uniform screen.

While you shouldn't be able to touch the corners hard enough to affect backlight uniformity, this is perhaps an issue with all edge-lit LED TVs that opt for a thinner design (most of them). Some are just worse than others. You even see tablets with this issue from time to time.

I'm wondering if stepping up to the LM9600 (which has full local LED dimming) would make this a non-issue. Even so, if you were able to find that particular model, you'd be spending about $2,000 for the 47 inch model (from what I've seen). Considering I spent $850 for this set, have the backlight bleed in only the top right corner, and the fact that this TV is an amazing overall performer with that one exception, I'm still very happy with it. It has one of the lowest input lags of all modern TVs, colors are generally pretty accurate, smooth motion, etc. It really is a nice TV for that price.

And my main thing is, no matter what you purchase, there will always be issues in this price range. No TV is perfect. A lot of people are complaining about IR issues with the 2012 Panasonic plasma models, for instance. And I'm sure that the first couple of generations of OLEDs will have major issues as well. It's all relative.
post #3090 of 3969 Old 03-07-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I have had the LM7600 for going on 2+weeks now and it has started behaving strangely after the firmware update. The flashlighting seems to have increased since the update as though the local dimming is more aggressive now. I have had a few instances of vertical lines showing on screen after prolonged use. Here are some pics, they are taken with my iphone and may not appear as bad as in person.
These are the vertical lines I am talking about. I tried running the "purity" test on the Disnet WOW disc and this came up for about 30 seconds before the black screen.
This is with Local dimming off w/backlight at 47 and brightness at 50 left and right corners.

WOW purity splash screen "Black"
WOW purity splash screen "White"
Wow purity splash screen "Black" Local dimming high w/ backlight at 25 and brightness at 50.

The last one looks much worse in person, so make of it what you will. Thanks for any input.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Displays , Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Lg Nb3520a Sound Bar Audio System With Wireless Subwoofer Bluetooth Streaming , Samsung Un55d7000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page