Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by eculley View Post

You know this from personal experience?
- Every where I read states the TV does NOT do 5.1 passthrough from optical OR hdmi.

Yes it does, everywhere doesn't include this very thread which has documented it works, including post by myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3969 Old 04-19-2013, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericelcano View Post

Just purchased mine yesterday. Only thing is that in order to get all Premium apps I got to manually set country to United States. I live in Puerto Rico, a United States territory, but some stupid marketers set us as a different country for purposes of content. I had decided not to buy Samsung because they set country by IP address and restrict us from all the content.

It's well documented it has nothing to do with a "stupid marketer." In fact LG did you a favor by allowing what it could rather than what Samsung does. Those decisions are based on copyrights. Puerto Rico is not a U.S. State and not part of all the copyrights allowed in the U.S. It's one reason why Dish Network for instance has different programming available in P.R.

I'm guessing the actual software update has nothing to do with why you are not getting the smart apps, though I suppose it's possible it does. Try toggling from where you have it now (U.S.) to another setting, let the TV go to that setting then go back to the U.S. setting.
post #3423 of 3969 Old 04-19-2013, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
yes DMBatCOFC are off I liked them at the beginning I posted a reply I like the trumotion on @ user 2/5
cnet settings are ok I quess I just stick with them for now and use cinema for 3D

RF61ii's
RC42ii
WS24's
RW-10D subwoofer
ONKYO AVR TX NR818
Oppo BDP-103
Cyber Power PFC 1500VA UPS
LG 55in 240hz LED 55LM7600 TV
post #3424 of 3969 Old 04-19-2013, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePC View Post

just the defaults standard or cinema .I can't find any good calibration sinettings , I was using http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-573198/lg-47lm7600-picture-settings/ didn't like them anymore
what I don't like about those is the high local dimming and the 0 sharpness
post #3425 of 3969 Old 04-19-2013, 01:50 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa8 View Post

It's a matter of taste but those settings for me are nowhere near as good as the CNET settings. The settings in that post are a guess, not professionally done and it shows. Again, at least to me.
I use the Cnet with the sharpness up to 17. Looks awesome.

LG 55 LM7600, LG BP 620, Yamaha RX-V 677, Direct TV HR24-200, NHT Classic Ten sub, TwoC Center, NHT Classic Three's Mains, NHT IC2 surrounds.
post #3426 of 3969 Old 04-19-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Perkins View Post

I use the Cnet with the sharpness up to 17. Looks awesome.
I also put LD at medium.

LG 55 LM7600, LG BP 620, Yamaha RX-V 677, Direct TV HR24-200, NHT Classic Ten sub, TwoC Center, NHT Classic Three's Mains, NHT IC2 surrounds.
post #3427 of 3969 Old 04-19-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:

I also put LD at medium.
how about for 3d and games, which picture settings do you use?
post #3428 of 3969 Old 04-19-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonheart View Post

how about for 3d and games, which picture settings do you use?
I don't game and I used some of cnet and a poster on the forum. Not sure who, sorry.

post #3429 of 3969 Old 04-19-2013, 04:12 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
It's well documented it has nothing to do with a "stupid marketer." In fact LG did you a favor by allowing what it could rather than what Samsung does. Those decisions are based on copyrights. Puerto Rico is not a U.S. State and not part of all the copyrights allowed in the U.S. It's one reason why Dish Network for instance has different programming available in P.R.

I'm guessing the actual software update has nothing to do with why you are not getting the smart apps, though I suppose it's possible it does. Try toggling from where you have it now (U.S.) to another setting, let the TV go to that setting then go back to the U.S. setting.

Let me say it more correctly...every stupid marketer from all the content companies decided to exclude Puerto Rico in the LICENSING of the content of every app that LG carries in their Smart TV. Is this possible? Probably not. May it is just stupidity of a single party.

Content owners like Netflix and Pandora include Puerto Rico within their markets of service, but LG decided to block them (and everything else!) in spite of that. Your Dish example does not apply - I'm not interested in a Dish app (if ever existed). I'm not interested in Amazon Prime, since I know that they don't license to Puerto Rico. It is common sense.. if the provider does not block, why should you? Why are you interested in blocking by default in one of the market THAT YOU MARKET AND SELL when the provider also serves the same market? Why don't you say, in your marketing and sales material fir a market that the Smart TV functionality is nonfunctional (or severely restricted) in that market? That, even that you pay the same you are getting much less? That, in my book, is deceptive, false advertising.

Since firmware 5.0.0 LG does not let me set the country. This LG became just another Samsung. Tomorrow, this expensive dumb TV goes back to the store. I'll buy a non-smart TV and plug an Asus Cube or something similar.

Please don't hate me. Once I return this device I'll not complaint more about LG TVs. Promised. However, I would have appreciated if somebody else had posted about this 'defect' before. I could have saved me a lot of time.
post #3430 of 3969 Old 04-19-2013, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Let me say it more correctly...every stupid marketer from all the content companies decided to exclude Puerto Rico in the LICENSING of the content of every app that LG carries in their Smart TV. Is this possible? Probably not. May it is just stupidity of a single party.

Content owners like Netflix and Pandora include Puerto Rico within their markets of service, but LG decided to block them (and everything else!) in spite of that. Your Dish example does not apply - I'm not interested in a Dish app (if ever existed). I'm not interested in Amazon Prime, since I know that they don't license to Puerto Rico. It is common sense.. if the provider does not block, why should you? Why are you interested in blocking by default in one of the market THAT YOU MARKET AND SELL when the provider also serves the same market? Why don't you say, in your marketing and sales material fir a market that the Smart TV functionality is nonfunctional (or severely restricted) in that market? That, even that you pay the same you are getting much less? That, in my book, is deceptive, false advertising.

Since firmware 5.0.0 LG does not let me set the country. This LG became just another Samsung. Tomorrow, this expensive dumb TV goes back to the store. I'll buy a non-smart TV and plug an Asus Cube or something similar.

Please don't hate me. Once I return this device I'll not complaint more about LG TVs. Promised. However, I would have appreciated if somebody else had posted about this 'defect' before. I could have saved me a lot of time.

Dude, there are always content licensing issues outside the 50 states, with everything. From smartphones to video games to movie soundtracks to TVs. Don't blame LG because they won't break copyright to provide you content that they are not legally able to provide you. The TV is not "defective"in any way.
post #3431 of 3969 Old 04-19-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbkdaz View Post

Initialize (as we spell it in the states) Premium is just setting up your tv to allow premium contents. I believe that's where you have to link it to a lg account (to pay for the content that requires payment through LG). It won't screw anything up...and you don't get charged through LG for the apps you already have subscriptions to. It's more for the games etc. That are available through lgappstv.com.

Ha....well just another word the US chooses to spell wrong

So no real need to initialise premium then? I already use netflix and cinemanow
post #3432 of 3969 Old 04-20-2013, 07:07 AM

Anyone else using a static IP and wired LAN experiencing network connection issues after 5.00.00 upgrade. Mine keeps connecting and disconnecting from my network since it was auto updated yesterday.
post #3433 of 3969 Old 04-20-2013, 05:25 PM

The point is that they are not breaking any law by offering Netflix or Pandora in a region where it is available. They are not even breaking the DVD DRM Region codes, as this code expressly say that US Territories belong to Region 1, the same as US and Canada. I think that again, out of stupidity LG is grouping Puerto Rico with the Region 4 countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code
post #3434 of 3969 Old 04-20-2013, 05:29 PM

The soon-to-go-back-to-the-store-unit that I have disconnects randomly from the wireless network (with firmware 5.0.0).
post #3435 of 3969 Old 04-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Your Dish example does not apply - I'm not interested in a Dish app (if ever existed).

Just because you are not interested in Dish TV, does not mean my example is not pertinent. It is right on the money.

Did you try my suggestion how to get back the APPs you had before? Also you seem to be blaming LG, are there any Smart TV's that allow you to stream Netflix in P,R?
post #3436 of 3969 Old 04-20-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:

I don't game and I used some of cnet and a poster on the forum. Not sure who, sorry.
btw, just tried the sharpness 17 and LD medium, looks nice:) oh and you mean for 3D to use the same pic settings, crank up the sharpness to 30 and color to 80? LD to medium too? more backlight as well? what do you recommend/use? Thanks...
post #3437 of 3969 Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4FanTrashCan View Post

Anyone else using a static IP and wired LAN experiencing network connection issues after 5.00.00 upgrade. Mine keeps connecting and disconnecting from my network since it was auto updated yesterday.

I do and no problems staying connected. Dunno what to suggest.. .. try wireless then back to wired, use a different address?
post #3438 of 3969 Old 04-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by eculley View Post

You know this from personal experience?
- Every where I read states the TV does NOT do 5.1 passthrough from optical OR hdmi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonheart View Post

yes it does DD and DTS

The TV outputs 5.1 channel sound if the source is the TV (e.g., its tuner or an app like Netflix). It does not pass 5.1 channel sound out of its optical or HDMI ARC if the input is another HDMI device like a Blu-ray or cable box.

Almost every TV is the same in this respect. If you're thinking "hey... that means that a 5.1 soundbar--which promised easy setup via one optical cable--is useless!" then you're correct.

Edit: Others have told me that this is wrong and the LG does pass 5.1 audio. See a few posts below.

post #3439 of 3969 Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

The TV outputs 5.1 channel sound if the source is the TV (e.g., its tuner or an app like Netflix). It does not pass 5.1 channel sound out of its optical or HDMI ARC if the input is another HDMI device like a Blu-ray or cable box.

Almost every TV is the same in this respect. If you're thinking "hey... that means that a 5.1 soundbar--which promised easy setup via one optical cable--is useless!" then you're correct.

Don't think that's correct. I have a cable box, PS3, and 360 connected to the TV via HDMI, and an optical cable going from the TV to a 7.1 Onkyo receiver. Doing it this way because the receiver is an older model that does not support 3D, ARC, or Deep Color.

My receiver gets a 5.1 signal from every source.
post #3440 of 3969 Old 04-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

Sure it does. As the poster above, I have my Dish network receiver connected to my TV.(n one configuration, and directly to my audio receiver also) If I use the optical out to my audio receiver, the sound is 5.1.
post #3441 of 3969 Old 04-21-2013, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa8 View Post

Sure it does. As the poster above, I have my Dish network receiver connected to my TV.(n one configuration, and directly to my audio receiver also) If I use the optical out to my audio receiver, the sound is 5.1.

Same here. PS3, AT&T Uverse STB send 5.1 to my Yamaha amp via optical outpit.
post #3442 of 3969 Old 04-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Wow really? I thought that (a) that was against HDCP rules and (b) was impossible because the TV reports itself as a two-speaker device to the input source so it's actually sent a downmixed source. That's great info about the LG--other TVs don't have this capability.

post #3443 of 3969 Old 04-22-2013, 05:09 AM

Thougths on extended warranty for this TV from AGI, who is apparently LG's contractor for these services. $99 for 1 extra year and offers the same coverage as LG's original 1 year warranty. Yeah, nay, indifferent?
post #3444 of 3969 Old 04-22-2013, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0grider View Post

Thougths on extended warranty for this TV from AGI, who is apparently LG's contractor for these services. $99 for 1 extra year and offers the same coverage as LG's original 1 year warranty. Yeah, nay, indifferent?
Look to see if your credit card has an automatic extended warranty feature. Some cards will cover merchandise for an extra 1/2 of the factory warranty. So you'd get 18 months total, for no extra charge. It works differently, though--you have to pay for repairs and submit the bill for reimbursement (but I've done it for a DSLR and it was no sweat).

post #3445 of 3969 Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayjer View Post

Ha....well just another word the US chooses to spell wrong

So no real need to initialise premium then? I already use netflix and cinemanow

If your already able to use the apps you need...then I guess there is no need to do it. I initialized mine almost immediately - so I never even tried to use an app before initializing it and wasn;t sure if it was a prerequisite to using smart features.

post #3446 of 3969 Old 04-23-2013, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anyone have any thoughts on the calibration for the lm7600/lm760T posted at flatpanelshd.com? Of those I've tried on my set, feels more accurate to me...and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Curious to see how it stands up to a more scientific look.

For those interested:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1333359799

By the way, do the best calibrations make use of both White Balance and Color Management System settings? Seems to be an either/or proposition; I haven't seen a calibration listed that used both.

Thanks,

--Jack
post #3447 of 3969 Old 04-23-2013, 01:08 AM

anyone try or likes the calibrated settings from http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1333359799 ?

Picture preset: Expert1
Backlight 47
Contrast 85
Brightness: 50
V/H Sharpness: 50
Tint 0
Dynamic Contrast Off
Super Resolution Off
Colour Gamut Standard
Edge enhancer Off
Color Filter Off
Noise reduction Off
Mpeg noise reduction Off
Black level Low
LED local dimming Off
TruMotion Off
Color temperature Warm
Gamma 2.2
RGB Method 2 point
R high -6
G high -11
B high 18
R low -1
G low -2
B low 4

RF61ii's
RC42ii
WS24's
RW-10D subwoofer
ONKYO AVR TX NR818
Oppo BDP-103
Cyber Power PFC 1500VA UPS
LG 55in 240hz LED 55LM7600 TV
post #3448 of 3969 Old 04-23-2013, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePC View Post

anyone try or likes the calibrated settings from http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1333359799 ?

Picture preset: Expert1
Backlight 47
Contrast 85
Brightness: 50
V/H Sharpness: 50
Tint 0
Dynamic Contrast Off
Super Resolution Off
Colour Gamut Standard
Edge enhancer Off
Color Filter Off
Noise reduction Off
Mpeg noise reduction Off
Black level Low
LED local dimming Off
TruMotion Off
Color temperature Warm
Gamma 2.2
RGB Method 2 point
R high -6
G high -11
B high 18
R low -1
G low -2
B low 4
I would just question the sharpness at 50. Most people prefer it at 0 but a little bit can't be okay as well. Go to high and thinks start to look weird, especially faces.
post #3449 of 3969 Old 04-23-2013, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post

Anyone have any thoughts on the calibration for the lm7600/lm760T posted at flatpanelshd.com? Of those I've tried on my set, feels more accurate to me...and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Curious to see how it stands up to a more scientific look.

For those interested:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1333359799

By the way, do the best calibrations make use of both White Balance and Color Management System settings? Seems to be an either/or proposition; I haven't seen a calibration listed that used both.

Thanks,

--Jack
White balance and color management:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-573198/lg-47lm7600-picture-settings/?tag=contentBody;threadListing
post #3450 of 3969 Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 AM

I'm confused.. on the IRE settings, do we have to edit each individual IRE?? I found some settings that made changes to each IRE.. so I have to go to each one and make the changes?

Seems tedious.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Displays , Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Lg Nb3520a Sound Bar Audio System With Wireless Subwoofer Bluetooth Streaming , Samsung Un55d7000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page