Official LG XXLM7600 Owners Thread... - Page 130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3871 of 3968 Old 12-30-2013, 05:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to decide on a soundbar for my 55LM7600. Are any of you guys using a soundbar with yours and care to give pros and cons. Looking for one around the $500 or so range. Would spend less if it is a good one. Room size is like 11X11 (converted bedroom). I Definitely want the bluetooth streaming option and wireless sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3968 Old 12-30-2013, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmathis View Post

I'm trying to decide on a soundbar for my 55LM7600. Are any of you guys using a soundbar with yours and care to give pros and cons. Looking for one around the $500 or so range. Would spend less if it is a good one. Room size is like 11X11 (converted bedroom). I Definitely want the bluetooth streaming option and wireless sub.

The SONY HT-CT660 is a solid performer.

Packs powerful, robust sound; supports HD audio codecs; ARC--"Audio Return Channel" via HDMI--works well with the LM7600. Offers a wireless sub and bluetooth streaming, though the device I tried the latter with fared best when fairly close to the bar.

It pays to tinker a bit with the woofer and bass levels for each mode (along with treble)--each setting is independently adjustable--until you get it seasoned to taste. The 660 seems fairly responsive with both thinning out the sound field, or fattening it up. The "Voice" setting--essentially a virtual center channel adjustment on this 2.1 system--positions dialog where needed in the mix.

There are some good, basic modes that don't apply much--or any--surround if you find that processing tends to hollow out the sound field: Personal Audio, and Stereo.

Can't think of much of a downside with this unit, as long as you're prepared to take the time to finesse it for you preferred results. The display screen is quite small, so adjusting from a distance would be difficult if you want to know what you're doing. All around, though, a powerhouse for the money.

The SONY HT-CT260H is also a popular SONY bar; The "H" model added an HDMI input over the original 260. Differences (I think) from the 660: A bit less power, no 3D pass-through (from what I can tell), and no support for HD Audio codecs...though apparently offers good, basic sound. Both units are worth looking into...
post #3873 of 3968 Old 12-31-2013, 05:14 AM

Thanks JackN for a very comprehensive, informative response.
post #3874 of 3968 Old 12-31-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmathis View Post

Thanks JackN for a very comprehensive, informative response.

Happy to help. If you go with the 660, there were a couple of tricks that weren't terribly clear in the manual: If you want the sound bar to reacquire the sound output duties when cycling through different input sources to the TV, pressing the "Speaker: TV/Audio" button on the remote will prompt the SONY to assert itself again over the built in speakers of the LM7600. Or at least it behaves this way with my LM7600 when "Simp-linked."

If you are monitoring audio via the ARC channel--HDMI from TV--and occasionally want to monitor sound from a device connected to the 660's optical audio input, you must temporarily turn off the 660's 'control for HDMI' feature (OPT will then appear in the 660's display window). When finished, re-engage control for HDMI to resume hearing audio via ARC and connected devices such as Blu-ray...

Once linked through your LG's "Simp-link" feature, you should be able to control the 660's volume and mute functions through the remote assigned to your TV's volume...

Oh, and I did initially try the wireless Woofer behind my chair...but ultimately moved it back to the front and right of the bar. The woofer may carry a bit of the mid-range, which made the sound field seem a bit out of balance with it behind me. Your mileage may vary with different woofer placement...

One final quirk: The 660 does not make it abundantly clear what signal format it is decoding, but pressing the "display" button on the 660's remote will cycle through different brightness settings for the display window before going off, then--with the next press--reports the signal format in play (Dolby True HD, DTS MA, DD, etc.) A minor annoyance, for sure, but once you know it's receiving what you're sending, there's not much reason to check it... The LM7600, by the way, seems to port over-the-air--antenna sources--Dolby Digital via its optical out or ARC channel to the bar, but won't pass it from DVD or Blu-ray, instead down-mixing to PCM; a direct connection to the bar is your best bet for such devices...
post #3875 of 3968 Old 01-02-2014, 02:28 PM

By any chance can I set up the LG 7600 to display two inputs on one screen. For example half is Xbox and the other half is streaming Hulu. Just wondering if this is possible.

post #3876 of 3968 Old 01-03-2014, 02:22 PM

Liked: 11
Hi everyone.
I have a question and I apologize, I understand that it has been discussed here but I'm not sure what the correct terms to be using are so I'm having difficulty searching.

I want to connect my Wii U to the TV through HDMI and then use the optical out on the TV to send surround sound to my receiver. It is my understanding that this is not possible unless you access the service menus or get a special firmware version? It has been a while since I updated my set, is this something that has been fixed since I last read? I'd appreciate if someone just let me know if what I want to do is possible without having to go to any special length. (I can live with stereo if it's not an easy workaround)
Thanks.
post #3877 of 3968 Old 01-03-2014, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My PS3 works fine in this manner. HDMI out PS3 to HDMI in on TV and optical out from TV to surround amp. LM7600 but you didn't mention what model TV YOU have.
post #3878 of 3968 Old 01-03-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhthemi View Post

My PS3 works fine in this manner. HDMI out PS3 to HDMI in on TV and optical out from TV to surround amp. LM7600 but you didn't mention what model TV YOU have.

Sorry didn't think I needed to mention the tv model considering the topic. It's an 55LM7600. Maybe I'll update my firmware and then give it another try. I had some difficulty fitting the cable into the tv so maybe I'll try another cable. Thanks.
post #3879 of 3968 Old 01-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrieD View Post

Hi everyone.
I have a question and I apologize, I understand that it has been discussed here but I'm not sure what the correct terms to be using are so I'm having difficulty searching.

I want to connect my Wii U to the TV through HDMI and then use the optical out on the TV to send surround sound to my receiver. It is my understanding that this is not possible unless you access the service menus or get a special firmware version? It has been a while since I updated my set, is this something that has been fixed since I last read? I'd appreciate if someone just let me know if what I want to do is possible without having to go to any special length. (I can live with stereo if it's not an easy workaround)
Thanks.

Quote:

Wait... what? I was under the impression that our TV (and every other TV I've ever read about) outputs only stereo via optical when a surround source is connected via HDMI. The only time the TV outputs multichannel sound over optical is when the TV itself is generating the sound (either from a smart TV app, its media player or its tuner). flhthemi, you may have it connected to a surround amp but are you sure that you're getting surround sound in that setup?

post #3880 of 3968 Old 01-03-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 98
The factory default settings allow the TV to pass Dolby Digital 5.1 from the tuner, apps, and any device connected to the HDMI inputs. If you can get into the service menu, you can enable DTS pass through as well.
post #3881 of 3968 Old 01-04-2014, 10:18 AM

Well I was wable to get it to send the 5.1 through to my receiver but for some reason I couldn't get it to play correctly with surround on. Stereo works fine but 5.1 doesn't seem to work correctly. I'm not sure what the issue is but I'm using a pretty old receiver, 10+ years so maybe it can't take the PCM 5.1? I'm not too sure. Oh well it still sounds good in stereo through my sound system.
post #3882 of 3968 Old 01-04-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Well I was wable to get it to send the 5.1 through to my receiver but for some reason I couldn't get it to play correctly with surround on. Stereo works fine but 5.1 doesn't seem to work correctly. I'm not sure what the issue is but I'm using a pretty old receiver, 10+ years so maybe it can't take the PCM 5.1? I'm not too sure. Oh well it still sounds good in stereo through my sound system.

As I understand it, PCM tracks consisting over more than 2 channel sound can't be transmitted over a digital optical cable; they'll be down-mixed to PCM 2.0. If the TV can pass Dolby Digital 5.1 from HDMI out through its optical output, then your receiver should be able to receive it as 5.1 DD. If you tried the same thing with PCM with more than two channels via optical, it will be received by your receiver as PCM 2.0. If you want to preserve the greater number of audio channels and you have the option, stick with porting Dolby Digital 5.1 instead of PCM.
post #3883 of 3968 Old 01-04-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

Wait... what? I was under the impression that our TV (and every other TV I've ever read about) outputs only stereo via optical when a surround source is connected via HDMI. The only time the TV outputs multichannel sound over optical is when the TV itself is generating the sound (either from a smart TV app, its media player or its tuner). flhthemi, you may have it connected to a surround amp but are you sure that you're getting surround sound in that setup?

Bad impression wink.gif It passes 5.1 from the PS3 and my AT&T Uverse STB just fine into an old Yamaha HTR-5830 amp. I hear it, I see a graphic on the amp indicating it and it isnt being simulated.

post #3884 of 3968 Old 01-04-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post

As I understand it, PCM tracks consisting over more than 2 channel sound can't be transmitted over a digital optical cable; they'll be down-mixed to PCM 2.0. If the TV can pass Dolby Digital 5.1 from HDMI out through its optical output, then your receiver should be able to receive it as 5.1 DD. If you tried the same thing with PCM with more than two channels via optical, it will be received by your receiver as PCM 2.0. If you want to preserve the greater number of audio channels and you have the option, stick with porting Dolby Digital 5.1 instead of PCM.

Ok thanks, that seems to solve it. It sounds like Wii U only does PCM and this is a common issue. Thanks.
post #3885 of 3968 Old 01-04-2014, 07:20 PM

Googled around a bit and tried some more settings on my receiver and I guess it can't handle PCM. It's a pioneer VSX-1014tx. It's fairly old.

EDIT: Well the manual actually says this "This receiver can only play back Dolby Digital, PCM (32kHz–96 kHz) and DTS digital signal formats (including DTS 96kHz/24 bit). With other digital signal formats, set to ANALOG"

Sounds like it should take PCM.
post #3886 of 3968 Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Perkins View Post

I use Mediabridge with great success.

http://www.mediabridgeproducts.com/store/pc/Medialink-Powerline-Network-Adapter-Kit-2-Units-Ethernet-HomePlug-AV-200Mbps-206p240.htm

Always a great connection. smile.gif
Hi Richard, which 2d picture settings are you currently using?
post #3887 of 3968 Old 01-05-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Googled around a bit and tried some more settings on my receiver and I guess it can't handle PCM. It's a pioneer VSX-1014tx. It's fairly old.

EDIT: Well the manual actually says this "This receiver can only play back Dolby Digital, PCM (32kHz–96 kHz) and DTS digital signal formats (including DTS 96kHz/24 bit). With other digital signal formats, set to ANALOG"

Sounds like it should take PCM.

Try checking your audio out setting on the LM7600 (it might be called 'sound mode' under your audio options). The default is "Auto," which might pass Dolby Digital if available as opposed to PCM. You can force PCM out with that setting, if you like, to see if your receiver detects it. Again, though, it will only be 2.0 PCM via the optical audio out, if that's what you're using. Not sure how the LM7600's ARC/HDMI option would handle a PCM output selection with a PCM input format containing more than two channels.

Additionally, you could look for a setting on your output/source device to see if it includes a setting for PCM down-conversion, which would cap the hkz rating on the PCM format--usually at 96Khz--so that equipment which can't decode a higher frequency are able to process the signal.
post #3888 of 3968 Old 01-07-2014, 05:24 AM

Liked: 15
I am using the Cnet settings with sharpness at 20 and local dimming at med. Looks great. :roll eyes:

LG 55 LM7600, LG BP 620, Yamaha RX-V 677, Direct TV HR24-200, NHT Classic Ten sub, TwoC Center, NHT Classic Three's Mains, NHT IC2 surrounds.
post #3889 of 3968 Old 01-07-2014, 05:03 PM

In the sound settings AUTO does pass the Dolby out the optical port. Each time I toggled to PCM the amp went to stereo.
post #3890 of 3968 Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:

I am using the Cnet settings with sharpness at 20 and local dimming at med. Looks great. :roll eyes:
thanks Richard, will try....smile.gif.. and which picture settings do you use for 3d and for games?
post #3891 of 3968 Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonheart View Post

thanks Richard, will try....smile.gif.. and which picture settings do you use for 3d and for games?

Not a gamer and really don't use 3d.

LG 55 LM7600, LG BP 620, Yamaha RX-V 677, Direct TV HR24-200, NHT Classic Ten sub, TwoC Center, NHT Classic Three's Mains, NHT IC2 surrounds.
post #3892 of 3968 Old 01-15-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

but if you did, which settings do you recommend?
post #3893 of 3968 Old 01-16-2014, 07:16 AM

Has anybody tried using the lgcommander python script on your tv? It is a python script that sends remote codes over wifi.

https://github.com/ubaransel/lgcommander

It can theoretically be used to access the ez_adjust menu of a tv. The problem lies in the fact that the way to access this menu changed in 2012+ models of the tv. As a result, there are two versions of the script (pre-2012, 2012+), and the ez_adjust code is only known for the pre-2012 models afaik. I was successfully able to turn my tv off and a few other things, but entering random numbers between 1 and 1024 seems like a good way to accidentally mess up your tv.

I have a remote coming from amazon on Friday that should be able to get me into the menu. I ordered this remote from amazon once before, however, and they actually sent me a different variation of the model number than they one that I ordered, so it didn't work.
post #3894 of 3968 Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

I got notified of v6.01.03 yesterday. About to see what it does.

Does anyone have a report on firmware version 6.01.03 which was made public this month (January 2014)? New features? Tweaks? Problems?

post #3895 of 3968 Old 01-24-2014, 09:08 AM

I've been having really bad WiFi issues with 06.01.03. The TV keeps crashing when watching Netflix after a while. It just disconnects and no longer finds any APs. Have to turn the TV off and back on again for it to work again. It is very annoying. This was never a problem before 06.01.03. (47LM6400-UA)
post #3896 of 3968 Old 01-26-2014, 03:23 PM

Does anyone know if there is any other way, other than pulling the cat5 and leaving wifi off, to keep the LM7600 from constantly updating the "Contents Type" list in Smart Share? Here is my problem:

I run PlayOn media server on a PC in my home to stream videos to ALL my DLNA devices. PlayOn is having issues right now that I'm working on with tech support. They asked me to send them some log files of what the system has been doing so that they can analyze them to try and determine the source of my problem. But I had to, at tech supports request, remove the TV from the network so that when I create the log file it doesn't get polluted with data from the LG TV. The issue I'm having is related to a plugin or channel as PlayOn calls them, for youtube videos and the audio being out of sync on EVERY device I have. But I also have been having another problem unrelated to this where some text files are being generated with no help from me, that contain URLS to every video that appears in the LGs Contents Type list! These txt files are files that get created by the scripts when you want to tag a URL as a favorite so you can come back and watch the video later. A Favorites list. Each script has this option but I have never used it. Yet I have these list that are being "auto populated" I think because of the TV's polling the server for new media. So I need a way to turn this "polling" off. Probably should be optional anyway....just suppose you had watched some "questionable" videos, then have guests over and you decide to show off your "Smart" TV to them and these videos show up in that list!! Not gonna be funny to you! smile.gif

All it would take is for LG to modify the firmware and put a check box someplace in the network setup to keep it from looking for the stuff. But is there already a way to do this that I just can't find?

Thanks for your time!
post #3897 of 3968 Old 02-09-2014, 07:11 AM

PROBLEM SOLVED

After much digging around on the internet I found an answer to this issue. If anyone else notices data are being written to a PC on their network it's your LG "Smart" TV. This may only happen if you run a media server and I only know of it happening with MediaMall's PlayOn. It shouldn't happen at all. I'm convinced it's due to one of the LG FW updates we got sometime between September and November 2013. My TV was purchased in Jan 2013 and this issue didn't present itself until about the aforementioned time period.

At any rate all you have to do is be using Windows 7 Pro or above (Same for Win 8). There is a secpol.msc file you can execute and create a profile to block the IP of the TV into the PC that exhibits this problem. The TV can still access ALL other services but NOT any from the IP your PC uses. The TV does not even see the server any longer. Therefore it can no longer poll the server to gain data for the list of recent media in the Smart Share app. This really isn't a "Solve" it's a workaround. LG has a bug in their software. It should, under no circumstances, be writing ANY data to another PC on a home network.

HERE is a link to the how to block an IP.

Next question: Where do I report what I think is a bug in their FW to LG?
post #3898 of 3968 Old 02-10-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I guess we won't get any firmware update on our tv.

(2) Energy RC 70 towers(1) Energy Veritas 2.0C center(2) Energy Veritas 2.0R surrounds(2) Energy RC LCR back surrounds(1) Rythmik LV12R sub(1) Mirage Omni 12 sub(1) Denon 2112CI avr(1) LG 55" LM7600 tv
post #3899 of 3968 Old 02-11-2014, 06:19 PM

Liked: 14
Just had a problem show up on my 55lm7600. I turned it on tonight and there was a very visible line down the screen just about three quarters to the right. I got up and started tapping just above and below the line on the frame of the set and it went away. I could get it to flicker. It would appear that the frame is being stressed. I have it on the stand it came with. It's not mounted on the wall. Has anyone else seen this? It's out of factory warranty, but I have an extra year via my credit card. Should I have someone look at this?
post #3900 of 3968 Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroG View Post

Just had a problem show up on my 55lm7600. I turned it on tonight and there was a very visible line down the screen just about three quarters to the right. I got up and started tapping just above and below the line on the frame of the set and it went away. I could get it to flicker. It would appear that the frame is being stressed. I have it on the stand it came with. It's not mounted on the wall. Has anyone else seen this? It's out of factory warranty, but I have an extra year via my credit card. Should I have someone look at this?

I would suggest you have it looked at, just in case...I don't believe this is normal in a display this small. At work I have 80" LCDs which often worry me because the frames and the stands seem so flimsy.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Displays , Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Lg Nb3520a Sound Bar Audio System With Wireless Subwoofer Bluetooth Streaming , Samsung Un55d7000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page